• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks to the bro who recommend drinking glatorade in one of the thread. (paiseh forgot which thread).

glatorade is sold here but i prefer another brand call sponsor. have not been getting calf muscle cramp since i started drinking 'sponsor'.

Pii chon, do a bit of exercise or stretching will help with cramps. Basically muscle not used to movement easier to cramp up.

Sabai dee khrap

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will be in Greung theb from 30 May to 1 June. Short trip to attend conference.

I heard Silom Paragon has a big Kinokuniya, any other big book shops with Thai language resources is shopping malls around That area? :-)

Finally, my maiden trip to bpai tiew yu thi Greung theb. First of many to come...

Khorp Khun krap

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I heard Silom Paragon has a big Kinokuniya, any other big book shops with Thai language resources is shopping malls around That area? :-)

Finally, my maiden trip to bpai tiew yu thi Greung theb. First of many to come...

Khorp Khun krap

The name of the road in front of Paragon is not Silom it's Rama 1.

there are 2 Kinokuniya I know one is in Paragon and in case you're in Central World there is one on the top floor on the side with Isetan.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Khorp Khun krap

bro, for thai language resources, go to se-ed bookshop. they have branches everywhere. usually, if theres bigc, there will be se-ed bookshop.

Tamdeedaidee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to those traditional barber once when I was staying in Krungthep... Bht60 for a haircut. Large, bright clean place at Saphan Kwai. All lady barbers looking so efficient & professional dressed in long white coats. End up had to restore my hair at my regular salon for additional Bht500 :cool: guess not for everyone.

On the subject of alcohol sales. Buddhist holidays and elections is when sales are restricted 24 hours in 7-11s, supermarkets, bars & restaurants. On regular days supermarkets & 7-11s cannot sell you alcohol from 3pm (or is it 2pm?) to 5pm and after midnight. So its best to know where the mom & pop stores are in your neighborhood. Some bars will disguise the alcohol by pouring it into another container. A 7-11 in Patts once collected my money first and key in the sales after the system lock out period is over.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
The name of the road in front of Paragon is not Silom it's Rama 1.

there are 2 Kinokuniya I know one is in Paragon and in case you're in Central World there is one on the top floor on the side with Isetan.

Pii joetys

Thanks for the info. Will google to see which is nearer to hotel and check them out.

Khorp Khun khrap :-)

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, for thai language resources, go to se-ed bookshop. they have branches everywhere. usually, if theres bigc, there will be se-ed bookshop.

Pii chon

Thanks.. Will also look out for Se-Ed bookshop. BigC is a supermarket chain?

Khorp Khun khrap

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Went to those traditional barber once when I was staying in Krungthep... Bht60 for a haircut. Large, bright clean place at Saphan Kwai. All lady barbers looking so efficient & professional dressed in long white coats. End up had to restore my hair at my regular salon for additional Bht500 :cool: guess not for everyone.

On the subject of alcohol sales. Buddhist holidays and elections is when sales are restricted 24 hours in 7-11s, supermarkets, bars & restaurants. On regular days supermarkets & 7-11s cannot sell you alcohol from 3pm (or is it 2pm?) to 5pm and after midnight. So its best to know where the mom & pop stores are in your neighborhood. Some bars will disguise the alcohol by pouring it into another container. A 7-11 in Patts once collected my money first and key in the sales after the system lock out period is over.

7 and family mart and all supermarket is 11am till 2pm and 5pm till midnight. actually there is an exception, if you buy 10 litres or more, it's ok.

jw5

Loyal

7 and family mart and all supermarket is 11am till 2pm and 5pm till midnight. actually there is an exception, if you buy 10 litres or more, it's ok.

Do either of you know the reason for the restriction between 2 and 5 pm? Just wondering, thanks.

jw5

Loyal
supposedly targeted at school kids........no logic i know.

school kids tend to be free at that time, just finished school and parents not back yet?
but the restriction is also for adults right, they scared the kids bribe the adults to buy for them? hehehe......
thanks for the reply.............................

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
school kids tend to be free at that time, just finished school and parents not back yet?
but the restriction is also for adults right, they scared the kids bribe the adults to buy for them? hehehe......
thanks for the reply.............................
yes nw is right. actually not very effective cos' the 'smarter' kids will know where to get their stuff. adults lagi no need to say.

but places near schools and universities and polytechnics is different. the enforcement very on the ball. dun play play.

a little inconvenience for some but overall

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pii chon

Thanks.. Will also look out for Se-Ed bookshop. BigC is a supermarket chain?

Khorp Khun khrap

yes, after taking over carrefour, they are biggest now. but CP group just bought over makro, so they might become second largest. teso lotus think will be quite jialat.

CP group owns the entire LOS 7-11 and many many many businesses.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Do either of you know the reason for the restriction between 2 and 5 pm? Just wondering, thanks.
Sorry to say this but all these restri films are bullshit and pretentious the person who started this (you should know who I'm talking about) just want to pretend "show" be cares and the Thais no choice got to suck thump. If one need to drink during this 'ban' period just bring your own drinks la no issue. As for 2-5 thing just before 2 order more drinks and if cannot finish bring home or ask restaurant to keep it for next visit. I always do this. Also if you're like just outside the city no shop will give a hood.Anyway, cheers mate. Having my
null-129.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Gave a treat to my staff today in Mirama Restaurant

Famous Indonesian Oxtail Soup - Sup Buntut

Another "famous" Gurame frid fish (some call this dancing fish) - ordered 3 fishes for the 8 of us

Barkat Cumi or Grilled Squid - we ordered 7 pieces

This dish no need to explain - beef rendang

Lots and lots of vege 2 plates each

Cabbage with lots of hay-bee

Long Beans with lots of hay bee

Grilled Brinjal with lots of? Hay-bee of course

This dish power sial - petai with prawns told them to tripple the petai porttion but prawns remain

Of course all the above downed with lots of Bintang don't care Muslim or not Muslim all must drink.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A disgusting and decadent activity that ought to be banned the world over.

I always thought it's a sport? No?

Since young I've been having this thought that each throw of the ball is like throwing money away, I stay away from this. It's just a stupid thinking I guess.