• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last meal in Jakarta, my breakfast before heading home

Local shop by the road

Funny Indonesians like rice with fried meggi noodles or beehoon

45,000 rupiah or $4.50 not cheap - beef rendang, begged, egg, the rest part of basic set consists of vege, beehoon, ikanbilis, potato etc

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bit more travel trivia over last week. Up country, in Kaeng Krachan National Park area, 120km south west from Bkk. Short hop to Cha-am and Hua Hin. Unspoilt, not touristy with good roads and middle of nowhere (self drive a must). No exodus of returning hordes south, unlike Isaan and north

m&d huts

Resort next to mei nam (river). Despite peak holiday season, we were left by ourselves

Breakfast fresh and juicy jackfruits

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Back to Bangkok but has only 12hrs home so went to a good Peking duck restaurant near home

Started with fish maw with lobster

Goose feet braised with sea cucumber and fresh fishmaw and shitake mushrooms

Chunky sharksfins soup
[video=youtube;8J6EOXTPXvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J6EOXTPXvM[/video]

Peking duck

The meat I chose to do it in two ways - stir fry with garlic and thai style "meang"

Meang I've posted before is a style of eating some meat wrapped with vege leaves, in this case duck meat is chopped and then stir fry with carrots and other veges then served with lettuce

Wrap the meat with lattuce like this and eat it.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
park terrace at hway kwang on ratchada main road. A nice ktv/eatery located there with the night market close by

16029832647_bf613912cf_b.jpg

15593251474_d754cdbf73_b.jpg

16029545139_f8992b2833_b.jpg

16213778031_06cd0d380a_b.jpg

fried frog meal lots of tiny bones.

16214862982_c10f779eda_b.jpg

16213786111_9e8fb537a6_b.jpg

delicious kway teow with chicken in it it's really good

16214860512_e4211f7ed6_b.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Gosh got to wake up 0445 for this fight luckly have some leg room to sleep. Will post some photos when arrive.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi Froggy

May I know where is the Peking rest in bangkok? What was the damaged? Food looks good!

One can actually find this type of food easily in Chinatown which Thais call Yaowarat however I find these places too touristic and I prefer away from these places.

This restaurant is simply called Ah Soh (as in Hokkien for aunty). It's located along the Ramintra main road between Soi 32 and 30, if you are traveling along that road it Wil be 34, 32 then 30, restaurant immediately after ESSO station.

Sharksfin soup starts at 500 baht (flacks) the one I ordered is more. The Peking duck is 1,000 baht or $40 only for them to do the meat dishes it's another like $3-5 each. Whatever you see there the meal is 5,030 baht or $200. Think it's cheaper than in Singapore.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Scenery video of Bangkok from above

[video=youtube;XgBHGNQlbb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBHGNQlbb0[/video]

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Coming down

[video=youtube;Rl7Qjm6nrQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl7Qjm6nrQ4[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was at the Szechuan Court restaurant in Ambassador Hotel, very good and reasonable priced.

First time have long beans with pancake

Beef

Gongbao Chicken

Cabbage with dry shrimps

Mapo tofu

Big Grouper cook in two style, steam (mid part)

and soup (head and tail)

Great meal for 4 and costs only NT$3500 or S$150

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What a way to end the night, hokkien songs at the lobby

[video=youtube;ZxQRiBbwxUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxQRiBbwxUU[/video]

Goodnight

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gloomy outlook for uro exports, not surprising.

Thai exports face tough year in EU
Bangkok Post Published: 8/01/2015 at 01:16 PM

Thai exports to the European Union could shrink this year in the face of the continental bloc's continued economic slump, the Kasikorn Research Centre said on Thursday.

The chance of rapid EU economic recovery was slim, the centre reported. The Thai baht had appreciated against the euro by 15.3% since early 2014 and lost competitiveness to the Vietnamese dong and Indonesian rupiah. The EU had also ended tax privileges worth $252 million for Thai products under its Generalised System of Preferences.

If the EU economy grew by 1.1% this year Thai exports to the EU may increase by 0.5-3.5%, otherwise exports to the EU could be expected to fall. Thai exports to the EU increased by 4.6% last year.

The centre warned that the EU might turn to buying natural rubber, rubber products, processed chicken, precious stones, jewellery, chemical products and seafood from Thailand's neighbours.

However, it expected that exporters of computers, computer components, automobiles, air-conditioners and electrical appliances could cope with the situation. They were part of the production chains of large industries and had cost-management flexibility.

The euro's value had continued to fall and European consumers felt products from other countries were more expensive. Thai products also became even more expensive due to the GSP's termination of privileges.

Thai products would find it more difficult to compete with exports from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Indonesia that continued to enjoy GSP tariff privileges, the research centre said.

Thai exports that earlier enjoyed GSP privileges accounted for 39% of all exports to the EU. In the first nine months of last year the value of GSP-supported Thai exports to the EU dropped by 1.69% year-on-year to $6.7 billion as a consequence, the Kasikorn Research Centre said.

It predicted a severe impact on Thailand's clothing, footwear and processed foods exports to Europe, including seafood. The reported suggested these sectors in the meantime stop focusing on manufacturing and look to gathering products from neighbouring countries for export to the EU, and that Thailand quickly seals a free trade agreement with the EU to make up for the lost GSP privileges

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Temple hands out I-phones 6 in charity draw

x10-1-2558-11-41-43-wpcf_728x413.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OQWrraHLYvmI5q-fImet.jpg

PHITSANULOK: -- Huge crowds from many parts of the country gathered at Wat Ratchaburana temple in Phitsanulok province Friday hoping to receive I-phones which would be given away in a charity draw.

The temple earlier announced to give away five I-phone 6 smart phones among coins and banknotes amounting to 300,000 baht in a charity draw Friday.

But the influx of up to 10,000 people has forced the temple to call in police to form queue for draws for fear that it could cause stampede

There was a great amount of commotion at the temple in early hours of the day after soldiers and police had to be called in to control the more than 10,000 people who arrived there with high hope of winning the I-phones.

While most other temples typically distribute coins and other small gifts through throwing by monks to the crowd to collect on ground, the abbot at the Wat Ratchaburana temple assigned soldiers, and police to give away coins and banknotes in the form of 1 Baht, 5 Baht and 10 Baht coins as well as 20, 50, 100 and 1,000 Baht banknotes in sealed envelopes.

Furthermore, five I-Phone 6 mobile phones were also given away in a charity draw as the coins and banknotes are wrapped in small envelops and some will contain the mobile phone tickets.

The event was part of an annual religious Buddhist ceremony where nine temples in the province are visited by the Buddhist faithfuls to make merit and pay tributes.

In the past the coins were normally thrown in the throng of faithful from four different points at the Ratchaburana temple.

But due to the huge crowd this traditional practice had to be abandoned fearing stempede that could result in injuries.

Soldiers and police were seen handing out the coins to people who have been asked to queue at two entrances to the temple

Later in the day three lucky people presented their lucky tickets to claim the I-phone 6 mobile phones and after documents were checked they were given their prizes.

There was some uproar as some people in the crowd who came as far away as Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai who received only 5 and 10 Baht coins felt it was sour grapes.

All came with high hope of the luxury smart phones.

One lucky woman who asked to remain anonymous said:

“I am so happy! Yes I will be using the phone myself! I am so happy.”

Source: http://englishnews.t...-6-charity-draw

-- Thai PBS 2015-01-10

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Taiwan's Taoyuan's Thai Airways lounge surely gets the lowest mark from me amoung their lounges that I had visited.

Don't know why but it seems to be very patronizing the whole setup and the choices of food and drinks, probably its the deco I not sure. You can see it yourself here

[video=youtube;3IMUIgD7A4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMUIgD7A4s[/video]

On the TV is tuned on DW channel and when I asked it to be changed to CNN the lady told me they only bought the DW channel, that's it no choice at all.