• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A response to Mr LHY on his FB speech 29 Jun 2020

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr LHY, I have deep respect for your father and all that he did for SG. Like many fellow Singaporeans, I am sadden that your sibling rivalry has blown out of proportion and caused harm to SG’s reputation.

I have never met you but I have heard good things about how you treat people at work. That you have a very sharp mind.

I wish your involvement with SG politics could have taken a very different route. And I do also hope, you and your family can consider the detriment brought to SG, each time your family issues Are brought to the lime light.

I am in my 40s, a Singaporean, married with 3 kids. Grew up in a HDB, served NS and paying CPF...

I belong to the silent majority. The group of Singaporeans who are deeply grateful to all that SG has achieved together thus far, but are far too apathetic politically to speak up.

I spoke to a few Singaporeans in their 20s and early 30s. I could sense there is much quiet discontent about the recent failings of the government.

With Oxleygate, Presidency Controversy, Covid-19 Response, now TCB-LHY... I sense PAP may lose many votes, especially amongst the younger Singaporeans...

I will share my views, point by point, from your recent speech.

“Singaporeans will have to go out to vote on 10 July when they would have preferred to stay safe from the risk of getting COVID-19. Almost three months after lockdown began, new cases still remain stubbornly in the three-digit range, a result of the PAP’s poor handling of the pandemic. The resulting economic damage could have been avoided.”

Most Singaporeans I know are happy to be out and about actually. In fact, many are happy to get out to vote and enjoy the rest of the day with their families on 10 July.

Many has jumped on the bandwagon to say that the SG government has failed in its Covid-19 handling. I personally don’t see how.

Yes the infection numbers is high compared to neighboring countries, but its mainly confined to the dorms and hardly within the Singaporean community. Sorry for being the selfish Singaporean that i am. My mother continues to go to the market, my kids get to go to school and my wife and I work from office alternate weeks. In my opinion, I think the government has done brilliantly in their handling of COVID 19 specifically for Singaporeans.

Bless our foreigner worker friends and I wish them well. Their current predicament lies in the faulty polices that allowed 20 workers living in a room. This is a policy issue that needs to be addressed surely. But pls do not confuse the handling of COVID-19 with a policy failure that is ultimately responsible for the high infection rate in the dorms. My contractor told me his workers are not having the worst of times at the dorms actually. Good food, fast WiFi, no need to work but continue to get paid. Plus their lives working in SG will get better post COVID-19.

Lastly, despite the high number infection numbers, SG’s fatalities are a world-class low and our healthcare system held up well throughout.

How then, is this “poor handling”? It sounds more like hindsight to me to say that the damage to the economy could have “been avoided”. I wonder how you would have done differently to avoid such a unprecedented crisis, and in the form of a speedy pandemic. Your sister has medical background and you have a large following online. If you had a good solution, i wish you had brought it up on your FB page then.

Like my scholar friend said: “with hindsight, a 2, 5 offsuit can also crack a pocket ace”. Most readers probably wont understand what i just wrote. Conversely, most viewers of your speech wont dive into the details of the situation you highlighted and take your word for it as you are LKY’s son. Many Singaporeans will really think that the government screwed up over covid-19, when in fact they handled it brilliantly. I feel a man of your intellect and access to info should make a more considerate statement, than to jump on the common opposition bandwagon.

Retired senior civil servant Philip Yeo once put it bluntly: the government is suffering from ‘Eunuch Disease’. There are no leaders that possess the spark, only ‘paper shufflers’ who ‘exist to keep the emperor happy’. “

This i agree. I too hope that there are more Philip Yeos in the government. Daring smart folks with a clear vision and brute determination to make good for Singapore. I admire Mr Philip Yeo and I don’t know what happened to him. Read somewhere he had some public dispute with your sister?
The other guy i loved in the government was Mr George Yeo. Smart, kind, articulate and warm. But my fellow Aljunied voters got caught up with their emotions and voted him out. So after losing such a brilliant foreign minister, is Aljunied GRC better for it? I don’t know but Aljunied GRC seems like its progressing like the rest of SG, no? But we did lose a brilliant man to the Kuok Group. I think Mr George Yeo listed a company for Robert Kuok. If only Mr Yeo had remained our Foreign Minister and he could probably have brought in many more billions of investment into SG than working for an already very rich man.

Conflicts of interest are rampant throughout government. PAP leaders and MPs are related or very closely associated to key persons all over - at Temasek, the Auditor-general, the Attorney-general to name a few. There is so much “ownself check ownself”. “

Funny, you brought up conflict of interest. I was told by my siblings to help sort out my mum’s will, but i totally refused and defer the responsibility to my uncle instead. Less potential issues going forward i think.

Your father is PM, your brother is PM and you were Singtel CEO. You brought Singtel from a local company into one of the world’s biggest telco conglomerate, owning important assets across the globe. When you were at F&N, you grow the company so much that the shareholders were richly rewarded, when Thaibev bought over. So what is wrong with getting good people into good positions, regardless if they are friends or family, to work hard for SG? SG only has people. No resources, no land. Just a group of very hardworking people working together, allowing minor sacrifices, like letting the smart ones lead us... this is how SG stayed ahead... Meritocracy, not charity, not bumiputra.

In Singapore, regardless if you’re born in a HDB, you work hard, you are smart, you can become a George Yeo. If one is not smart, but works hard, one can still make a decent living, like me. If one is not smart and don’t work hard, then you are a slacker, perhaps you are better off being in a neighboring country.

Singapore has no room for free loaders. Politicians should also not promote sexy thoughts being able to freeload in SG because of our Reserves. Our GDP/ Reserves (thus being able to afford SAF) is the only reason we have water to feed our families. Not some contractual obligations (please arh my innocent fellow Singaporeans)...

There is only narrow group-think that prevails in today’s PAP government, lacking rigour in discussion and debate on policies that shape our country. Singapore has suffered greatly as a result and people are angry and frustrated.”

I agree partly on the group-think part. However i am not sure if having more opposition can help. I definitely don’t agree that SG has suffered greatly. We are one of the most awesome countries in the world. Folks from all over the world are queuing to join us as Singaporeans. “... people are angry and frustrated.” This, I believe, represents only a very small group of the population in Singapore... actually a particular group which exists in every country in the world, including Bhutan or Brunei. I honestly don’t think most Singaporeans are that unhappy.

In this COVID-19 election, the people of Singapore must seek accountability. We must vote for change. We must create a first-world parliament to strengthen the DNA of collective leadership in Singapore. We need to vote for our future and for our children’s future, and not for past PAP glories. There are many men and women, old and young, of considerable calibre, passion and compassion in the alternative line-up who can help build a stronger, better Singapore.”

Yes we should seek accountability, and thus i feel Singaporeans should reward the government with plenty of votes for their awesome handing of Covid 19!

Name me one country that has a first-world parliament with so-called collective leadership. I cant. I know with more opposition comes more bickering and things stop getting done after a while. Look at USA and Mr Trump. He is the biggest opposition guy that won from out of nowhere. Is USA better now than ever? The theory of having more opposition equals better policies remain unproven. China has one party and India has many parties. My China unit trusts is worth 3 times higher than my India one now and not that many years have past.

I believe in Darwin’s survival of the fittest. While PAP is able and in power, they will do everything it takes to make it hard for others to beat them. Likewise, when the Opposition eventually assume power, i too would expect them to do the same. Regarding the part on passion and compassion, i think all parties can have passionate folks, but being selfish as i am, i rather a George Yeo or a Tharman working for me in government, then the probably very passionate Independent PHV guy who nominated himself again this election.

“I have been privileged to meet some of them, and I know they will bring the diversity that we so desperately need. A truly diverse parliament is a win for the people of Singapore.”

You have been away most of the past year i think so i don’t know how many you met recently. I am sure there are quality folks in the opposition. But please do prove to us and let me know how a truly diverse parliament can be a win. Refer to my previous paragraph.

This election is our opportunity to end the status quo of the supermajority. We can have our voices heard in Parliament. The PAP is no longer listening. The PAP vision of meritocracy has become a fiction. Instead of space to grow and prosper, our citizens are slowly suffocating from fear and stress. Singapore has become a country where we have very little say in how we live. There is little space in Singapore to be what we want to be, to say what we want to say, to grow, to prosper.”

Sorry but i cant help but sense a bit of over generalization and fear mongering... If PAP dont listen, how then is it so tough to get Singapore PR in SG now? If PAP dont listen, how come MRT is bought by Temasek and now smoother new trains are running. I think PAP listens but do need some time to implement change.

For those citizens whom you say are “suffocating from fear and stress”, i think most Singaporeans are not like that. For those who are worried, its because of the state of the global economy that has brought about hardships, something which i dont think any party in Singapore could have avoided. And in SG, if PAP, with all its power and might, cant avoid the economic downturn. I dont see how any other political parties could. So please present concrete proposals instead of just telling people that its the government’s fault. I am keen to see your proposals.

“Many Singaporeans feel they are running a rat race in a maze designed by the government, which decides who to dispense rewards to. The chosen few are given a nice big slice of cake. For those who are not scholars or generals or privileged, there are only crumbs.”

I mean, if my son is one day a general, i would expect him to be well paid and get all the important jobs. This is because he probably worked hard in school and in life to get there. Like in a meritocracy.

If all he does is to play PS4 all day and end up being a say PHV driver, I mean how can i blame SG for it? I blame myself for now kicking his ass enough to work hard like those scholars do.

Most of the government leaders i know fought their way through school and won top student awards. They deserve their roles in society.

If my son is the top scholar and still end up as a PHV driver, then i will definitely need to vote in the opposition.

In this maze, the PAP government of today can create dead-ends, move walls, close off the exits. It can wield POFMA to silence, and defamation suits to ruin and bankrupt, those who disagree. It can choose to retain a long outdated discriminatory law. It can prosecute a single person for an illegal public assembly. Indeed, during Covid-19, it is investigating 2 young persons who separately stood up in public on concerns about climate change.”

Any laws can be applied to many scenarios. Picking and choosing extremes is a way to implant sexy & catchy ideas into people’s head. POFMA is a lousy but necessary way to prevent such bad things from happening. So far the government has not abused it. If they do, they too will lose in the court of public opinion. So i am not that afraid of our, so far pretty responsible, government be using that on us. They may say use it on actual terrorists on FB and i will definitely be fine with that.

POFMA is like a gun. Society is happy giving policemen the gun. We trust the police to use the gun wisely. Police can shoot a drunk wielding a parang near a kid. But if the police starts shooting people for not wearing masks. The people will revolt. So as long as POFMA is used properly, Singaporeans are cool about.

The PAP can change the Constitution and deny Singaporeans a chance to elect the president. It can do this because the PAP has an overwhelming majority of the seats in Parliament.”
“It can crush HDB owners’ dreams. It can sit on CPF savings. It can hike GST at will to raise revenue for a government that has undisclosed billions in secret reserves. It can expose us to the risk of COVID-19 by prioritising politics over our lives. It can dismiss the risk of infection in crowded dormitories for foreign workers.”

(This i have lots to say but sorry my kids need me now) ...to be continued...

When decisions produce poor results, the government can selectively use statistics and surveys designed to trivialise our fears, and imply that our concerns are unfounded. It can baldly tell us, “In Singapore, no one will be left to walk his journey alone.”

“When he ascended to become Prime Minister in 2004, Lee Hsien Loong promised.“We will continue to expand the space which Singaporeans have to live, to laugh, to grow and to be ourselves. Our people should feel free to express diverse views, pursue unconventional ideas, or simply be different. We should have the confidence to engage in robust debate, so as to understand our problems, conceive fresh solutions, and open up new spaces,” “Ours must be an open and inclusive Singapore.”

“He has not kept his word. Singapore should not be a maze where people are denied a say in how the country’s riches are shared, where those who struggle and sacrifice every day have no voice.”

“The PAP is in control of the maze, and it does not care. Make your vote in this COVID-19 election count. Choose a Singapore where the daily struggle and sacrifice pays off for all, not just for the ‘natural aristocracy’.”

“For Singapore’s future, this has become an imperative. We must vote to end the super majority.“

“Singapore wants different.“

Last edited:

oppo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think i have a thing to share as well~

“Singaporeans will have to go out to vote on 10 July when they would have preferred to stay safe from the risk of getting COVID-19. Almost three months after lockdown began, new cases still remain stubbornly in the three-digit range, a result of the PAP’s poor handling of the pandemic. The resulting economic damage could have been avoided.”

Most Singaporeans I know are happy to be out and about actually. In fact, many are happy to get out to vote and enjoy the rest of the day with their families on 10 July. Many has jumped on the bandwagon to say that the SG government has failed in its Covid-19 handling. I personally don’t see how.

There are many examples of underestimating the virus ability to spread and the boasting of "well-prepared" since 2003 SARS. I personally feel, if LKY is still around, we will be out of this in maximum 60 days since Jan or Feb. The truth that this task force flip-flopping on measures after measures goes to show, they "catch no ball" and yet don't want to take examples from those who have controlled the pandemic well. Listening to CCP and WHO gave you results as such, shown all over the world. Only 2 region on the face of this planet doesn't buy what the CCP and WHO has said, seems to be proven controlled well. Calling those who wear mask are idiots? Who is the idiot now?

Yes the infection numbers is high compared to neighboring countries, but its mainly confined to the dorms and hardly within the Singaporean community. Sorry for being the selfish Singaporean that i am. My mother continue to go to the market, my kids get to go to school and my wife and I work from office alternate weeks. The government has done brilliantly in their handling of COVID 19 specifically for Singaporeans.

The numbers doesn't just confine to dorms and dorms only, community cases are still prevalent although slowing but its hasn't come down to ZERO after Sooooo long. Your brilliancy, does it has any comparisons?

Bless our foreigner worker friends and I wish them well. Their current predicament lies in the faulty polices that allowed 20 workers living in a room. This is a policy issue that needs to be addressed surely. But pls do not confuse the handling of COVID-19 with a policy failure that is ultimately responsible for the high infection rate in the dorms. My contractor told me his workers are not having the worst of times at the dorms actually. Good food, fast WiFi, no need to work but continue to get paid. Plus their lives working in SG will get better post COVID-19.

I am on the same page as you on this, someone gotta be accountable for it. Look at how Josephine Teo replied in parliament when asked if she will apologize. That's not an attitude of a person serving you, IMHO that's an attitude of whom you are serving.

Lastly, despite the high number infection numbers, SG’s fatalities are a world-class low and our healthcare system held up well throughout.

That's true, the only saving grace probably.

How then, is this “poor handling”? It sounds more like hindsight to me to say that the damage to the economy could have “been avoided”. I wonder how you would have done differently to avoid such a unprecedented crisis, and in the form of a speedy pandemic. Your sister has medical background and you have a large following online. If you had a good solution, i wish you had brought it up on your FB page.

We had multiple examples to learn from, but sadly, trusting CCP and WHO caused this, in Taiwan and Hongkong, they already had ZERO community cases for darn long and they practice universal masking whereas here, your COTTON from Sheep minister said its a DISGRACE, whoever laugh last, laugh the loudest and surely not Singapore. They can be so shameful to say that they took bold steps to implement masking mandatory for public transport when Taiwan and Hongkong implemented it moons ago.

Like my scholar friend said: “with hindsight, a 2, 5 offsuit can also crack a pocket ace”. Most readers probably wont understand what i just wrote. Conversely, most viewers of your speech wont dive into the details of the situation you highlighted and take your word for it as you are LKY’s son. Many Singaporeans will really think that the government screwed up over covid-19, when in fact they handled it brilliantly. I feel a man of your intellect and access to info should make a more considerate statement, than to jump on the common opposition bandwagon.

Had masking been made universal in the beginning and not encouraging people to come out after wishful thinking that they manage to control the virus as PM Lee said its time to go out again. Those who practice masking policies made good progress in handling the pandemic whereas those who don't are suffering. Side note, taiwan and hongkong didn't lock down the city, they merely enhanced social distancing. This to me wasn't hindsight, its was underestimating the virus and overestimating what they think they are able to do.

Retired senior civil servant Philip Yeo once put it bluntly: the government is suffering from ‘Eunuch Disease’. There are no leaders that possess the spark, only ‘paper shufflers’ who ‘exist to keep the emperor happy’. “

This i agree. I too hope that there are more Philip Yeos in the government. Daring smart folks with a clear vision and brute determination to make good for Singapore. I admire Mr Philip Yeo and I don’t know what happened to him. Read somewhere he had some public dispute with your sister?
The other guy i loved in the government was Mr George Yeo. Smart, kind, articulate and warm. But my fellow Aljunied voters got caught up with their emotions and voted him out. So after losing such a brilliant foreign minister, is Aljunied GRC better for it? I don’t know but Aljunied GRC seems like its progressing like the rest of SG, no? But we did lose a brilliant man to the Kuok Group. I think Mr George Yeo listed a company for Robert Kuok. If only Mr Yeo had remained our Foreign Minister and he could probably have brought in many more billions of investment into SG.

I don't know Philip Yeo, but i guess he is saying the leader is surrounded by goons who say yes to all his policies doesn't matter right or wrong, against LKY of not having Yes Man in cabinet, they are suppose to object and make sure by relooking at the policies , it can be fine tuned even better. George Yeo? Smart? Articulate? Warm? Seriously i am not sure, but when i went to a MPS session to seek for help, all i got was "I CANT HELP YOU" not even willing to write a letter to assist, that was in his GRC and one of his cronies. Aljunied GRC is still how it is despite in opposition hands, do you see garbage pilling up 4 or 5 metres? Estates more dirty than ever? Crimes spree happening? A resounding NO. PAP will always find ways to hit Oppositions below the belt, even for the mere nonsense of washing the hawker centre. PAP towns perfect? Corruption to massage, free sex and buying a car with huge discounts just to name a few, hush hush and faster end the episode. PAP don't understand that before picking on someone make sure you don't have dirt. Whether or not, billions of new investments to SG, is merely a guessing game, no one can be sure.

Conflicts of interest are rampant throughout government. PAP leaders and MPs are related or very closely associated to key persons all over - at Temasek, the Auditor-general, the Attorney-general to name a few. There is so much “ownself check ownself”. “

Funny, you brought up conflict of interest. I was told by my siblings to help sort out my mum’s will, but i totally refused and defer the responsibility to my uncle instead. Less potential issues going forward i think.

To each its own i think .

Your father is PM, your brother is PM and you were Singtel CEO. You brought Singtel from a local company into one of the world’s biggest telco conglomerate, owning important assets across the globe. When you were at F&N, you grow the company so much that the shareholders were richly rewarded, when Thaibev bought over. So what is wrong with getting good people into good positions, regardless if they are friends or family, to work hard for SG? SG only has people. No resources, no land. Just a group of very hardworking people working together, allowing minor sacrifices, like letting the smart ones lead us... this is how SG stayed ahead... Meritocracy, not charity, not bumiputra.

Getting good people to get into good positions yes, but its cannot be regardless they are friends or family. This is public office or major MNC, it has to be accountability of why this person is being put into this place. Hardworking people is all that we have in this island and the only resource we have, but not declaring if related or not is just not gonna be OK. Why afraid to disclose if there is nothing to hide on the first place. SG stayed ahead because of its people, not the ones sitting on top. Singaporeans are a super adaptive bunch and will not resign to fate come what may. Even with lousy governance, a united people knowing what's at stake will get passable decent society progress.

In Singapore, regardless if you’re born in a HDB, you work hard, you are smart, you can become a George Yeo. If one is not smart, but works hard, one can still make a decent living, like me. If one is not smart and don’t work hard, then you are a slacker, perhaps you are better off beingin a neighboring country.

Yes you are right. Everyone has a chance, that was told when you were a kid. As you grow up, you realize its not really what you know, the key is WHO YOU KNOW. Heard of white horse in the armed forces? that's the best example of WHO YOU KNOW, doesn't matter you studied well or gotten straight As.

Singapore has no room for free loaders. Politicians should also not promote sexy thoughts being able to freeload in SG because of our Reserves. Our GDP/ Reserves (thus being able to afford SAF) is the only reason we have water to feed our families. Not some contractual obligations please my innocent fellow Singaporeans...

This i agree! No freeloaders in SG, we cannot allow that to happen because if it does thats the end of SG as we know it. We have to be lean and mean so as to stay competitive, but single hand cant clap, govt must see, walk and hear the ground. In times like this to open up the reserves is correct measure to assist everyone to move along. My stand has always been why doesn't the Govt think about allowing some withdrawals from CPF either Special or Medisave account for emergency use like this? Cases like retrenched due to this pandemic. Because its our own savings anyway and in this situation, at least allow a $2000 a month withdrawal for maximum 6 months period to help tide over until they find a job or something, when they get a job, the contributions will be put back anyway. No loss for the govt in this proposal and people draw and use prudently when its their own money. Only help those really in need like those who doesn't even have CPF savings and not encourage abuse.

“Many Singaporeans feel they are running a rat race in a maze designed by the government, which decides who to dispense rewards to. The chosen few are given a nice big slice of cake. For those who are not scholars or generals or privileged, there are only crumbs.”

I mean, if my son is one day a general, i would expect him to be well paid and get all the important jobs. This is because he probably worked hard in school and in life to get there. Like in a meritocracy.

True true. Likewise i am too, but if he/she doesn't know anyone then maybe not as smooth sailing.

If all he does is to play PS4 all day and end up being a say PHV driver, I mean how can i blame SG for it? I blame myself for now kicking his ass enough to work hard like those scholars do.

Again true. But if he knows the correct person then might be a different story, maybe can be the next Razer?

Most of the government leaders i know fought their way through school and won top student awards. They deserve their roles in society. If my son is the top scholar and still end up as a PHV driver, then i will definitely need to vote in the opposition.

Well, that's pretty hard to say, with all the talents flooding our shore, your son scholar asking 10000/mth and a talent from god knows where can accept 7500/mth doing the same shit then i think the talent outshine local scholars, not that its not happening as we speak. But between being a scholar and knowing who you know, i will surely choose the latter. It is also a merit to know who can bring you further in life, that's also Meritocracy

In this maze, the PAP government of today can create dead-ends, move walls, close off the exits. It can wield POFMA to silence, and defamation suits to ruin and bankrupt, those who disagree. It can choose to retain a long outdated discriminatory law. It can prosecute a single person for an illegal public assembly. Indeed, during Covid-19, it is investigating 2 young persons who separately stood up in public on concerns about climate change.”

Any laws can be applied to many scenarios. Picking and choosing extremes is a way to implant sexy & catchy ideas into people’s head. POFMA is a lousy but necessary way to prevent such bad things from happening. So far the government has not abused it. If they do, they too will lose in the court of public opinion. So i am not that afraid of our, so far pretty responsible, government be using that on us. They may say use it on actual terrorists on FB and i will definitely be fine with that.

POFMA is a one sided weapon to me, it is suppose correct the fake but to dispute the fake you need to have the truth isn't it, but you can say its fake via POFMA and refuse to release what is the truth means the perceived fake could actually be the truth. This Govt never take court of public opinion as an opinion at all not then not now and never will.

The PAP can change the Constitution and deny Singaporeans a chance to elect the president. It can do this because the PAP has an overwhelming majority of the seats in Parliament.”
“It can crush HDB owners’ dreams. It can sit on CPF savings. It can hike GST at will to raise revenue for a government that has undisclosed billions in secret reserves. It can expose us to the risk of COVID-19 by prioritising politics over our lives. It can dismiss the risk of infection in crowded dormitories for foreign workers.”

Sure, Richard Parker, spiderman needs you now...

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hallo penpal, spidey’s safe now, so let me respond:

Most Singaporeans I know are happy to be out and about actually. In fact, many are happy to get out to vote and enjoy the rest of the day with their families on 10 July. Many has jumped on the bandwagon to say that the SG government has failed in its Covid-19 handling. I personally don’t see how.

There are many examples of underestimating the virus ability to spread and the boasting of "well-prepared" since 2003 SARS. I personally feel, if LKY is still around, we will be out of this in maximum 60 days since Jan or Feb. The truth that this task force flip-flopping on measures after measures goes to show, they "catch no ball" and yet don't want to take examples from those who have controlled the pandemic well. Listening to CCP and WHO gave you results as such, shown all over the world. Only 2 region on the face of this planet doesn't buy what the CCP and WHO has said, seems to be proven controlled well. Calling those who wear mask are idiots? Who is the idiot now?

Limited resources. There weren’t enough masks to go around. So people were asked to stay home and wear mask to go see doctor. Sounds logical to me. When it’s subsequently known that this thing spreads asymptomatic, govt asked people to wear masks when out. Fair enough to me.

The virtue here is the balls to flip flop, even when the world’s attention is on you. Totally embarrassing and surely a point for opposition to dwell on. But why did they do it? Because it’s good for SG.

Don’t think CCS called people who wore masks idiots. He called out the toilet roll hoarders as idiots, which I think he is pretty damn accurate actually.

Yes the infection numbers is high compared to neighboring countries, but its mainly confined to the dorms and hardly within the Singaporean community. Sorry for being the selfish Singaporean that i am. My mother continue to go to the market, my kids get to go to school and my wife and I work from office alternate weeks. The government has done brilliantly in their handling of COVID 19 specifically for Singaporeans.

The numbers doesn't just confine to dorms and dorms only, community cases are still prevalent although slowing but its hasn't come down to ZERO after Sooooo long. Your brilliancy, does it has any comparisons?

Ok so I really don’t know much about viruses. I am not sure if it has to come down to Zero or if it can even. As far as I am concern, as long as not more people are dying from it, I think that is key. Many Singaporeans die from common flu each year. Do we need that to be Zero? How about Dengue deaths? I really don’t know but I feel we will eventually be as concerned on covid as we do the common flu. After all the world’s attention on it has faded.

So the key matrix for me on this is the number of deaths and healthcare system continue to function.

I am on the same page as you on this, someone gotta be accountable for it. Look at how Josephine Teo replied in parliament when asked if she will apologize. That's not an attitude of a person serving you, IMHO that's an attitude of whom you are serving.

Yeah I think she needs to apologize too. Even LHL apologized before. It’s silly of her not to say sorry. I wonder what was he constraint, don’t think it’s entirely ego though. Anyway It will definitely cause her votes, so I hope she learns from it.

Below is what I wrote on another page on this matter:

Soft Truth 1: Mdm Josephine Teo needs to reflect
I mean, how can one expect to be well-liked when one would only apologise when demanded upon. Granted nobody can have hindsight to prevent the tragic situation, but many good leaders have the humility to accept the shortcomings of their work and the courage to face the music. Singaporeans are not stupid. We can discern the facts to know that some things can’t be prevented, and certain compromises are needed to achieve delicate balance in the business environment. However, many can’t accept the arrogance in not owning up and taking responsibility. Such action loses votes. I hope she can make amends asap.

That's true, the only saving grace probably.

ok so we give credit where credit is deserved. How many govt can do the whole of SG response to activate thousands of beds for quarantine, isolation etc. in such a short time? It’s easy to note our health system held up well. But I think much effort went behind the scenes to keep it that way.

How then, is this “poor handling”? It sounds more like hindsight to me to say that the damage to the economy could have “been avoided”. I wonder how you would have done differently to avoid such a unprecedented crisis, and in the form of a speedy pandemic. Your sister has medical background and you have a large following online. If you had a good solution, i wish you had brought it up on your FB page.

We had multiple examples to learn from, but sadly, trusting CCP and WHO caused this, in Taiwan and Hongkong, they already had ZERO community cases for darn long and they practice universal masking whereas here, your COTTON from Sheep minister said its a DISGRACE, whoever laugh last, laugh the loudest and surely not Singapore. They can be so shameful to say that they took bold steps to implement masking mandatory for public transport when Taiwan and Hongkong implemented it moons ago.

Taiwan manufactures masks. They have plenty so they have no qualms about getting everyone one to wear it. Hong Kong, if push comes to shove, China would have their backs. But yes I agree Taiwan and Hong Kong handled it well for covid 19.

I do hope Taiwan can do as well in revitalizing their economy so their grads get jobs. I hope Hong Kong can do as well in sorting out the rich poor divide and end the protests.

Had masking been made universal in the beginning and not encouraging people to come out after wishful thinking that they manage to control the virus as PM Lee said its time to go out again. Those who practice masking policies made good progress in handling the pandemic whereas those who don't are suffering. Side note, taiwan and hongkong didn't lock down the city, they merely enhanced social distancing. This to me wasn't hindsight, its was underestimating the virus and overestimating what they think they are able to do.

Oh I may have missed the part about PM Lee asking us to go out again. I don’t recall that he made such comment. My thoughts on why SG dint implement masking unlike Taiwan / HK is mentioned earlier.

My use of the term hindsight refers to the part, where I feel if LHY (with LWL medical knowledge) and his large online following had known how to handle Covid. They were free inform Singaporeans. But they dint. So they shouldn’t make a speech like they knew better then.

The four doctors who called out people to wear masks. Those are heroes. They were there, brave to stand out and make their point to save Singaporeans. They can make a speech now about covid handling and I certainly won’t term it as hindsight.

“Retired senior civil servant Philip Yeo once put it bluntly: the government is suffering from ‘Eunuch Disease’. There are no leaders that possess the spark, only ‘paper shufflers’ who ‘exist to keep the emperor happy’. “

The other guy i loved in the government was Mr George Yeo. Smart, kind, articulate and warm. But my fellow Aljunied voters got caught up with their emotions and voted him out. So after losing such a brilliant foreign minister, is Aljunied GRC better for it? I don’t know but Aljunied GRC seems like its progressing like the rest of SG, no? But we did lose a brilliant man to the Kuok Group. I think Mr George Yeo listed a company for Robert Kuok. If only Mr Yeo had remained our Foreign Minister and he could probably have brought in many more billions of investment into SG.

I don't know Philip Yeo, but i guess he is saying the leader is surrounded by goons who say yes to all his policies doesn't matter right or wrong, against LKY of not having Yes Man in cabinet, they are suppose to object and make sure by relooking at the policies , it can be fine tuned even better. George Yeo? Smart? Articulate? Warm? Seriously i am not sure, but when i went to a MPS session to seek for help, all i got was "I CANT HELP YOU" not even willing to write a letter to assist, that was in his GRC and one of his cronies. Aljunied GRC is still how it is despite in opposition hands, do you see garbage pilling up 4 or 5 metres? Estates more dirty than ever? Crimes spree happening? A resounding NO. PAP will always find ways to hit Oppositions below the belt, even for the mere nonsense of washing the hawker centre. PAP towns perfect? Corruption to massage, free sex and buying a car with huge discounts just to name a few, hush hush and faster end the episode. PAP don't understand that before picking on someone make sure you don't have dirt. Whether or not, billions of new investments to SG, is merely a guessing game, no one can be sure.

Yes man or not in PM Lee team, I really don’t know. As long as SG continues to progress well, that is all I really care about. Given the state of the world economy, comparing those in our part of the globe, I think we are doing fantastic actually.

No help from MP? So I suppose it depends what you were asking for. I kena speeding summon, they wrote to TP for and I got exactly the same summon. Not a difference was made. But the fact that they wrote to TP was good enough for me.

Aljunied being in opposition hands won’t make garbage piled up there. That is to scare silly kids. My point is, despite having WP took over, did Aljunied constituents achieve the progress they wanted? I think Aljunied progressed as much as the rest of SG actually.

“Conflicts of interest are rampant throughout government. PAP leaders and MPs are related or very closely associated to key persons all over - at Temasek, the Auditor-general, the Attorney-general to name a few. There is so much “ownself check ownself”. “

To each its own i think .

Ok basically, I don’t think kids should get involved when parents wanna change wills. If the Lees felt the same, millions in parliamentary debates would have been saved.

Getting good people to get into good positions yes, but its cannot be regardless they are friends or family. This is public office or major MNC, it has to be accountability of why this person is being put into this place. Hardworking people is all that we have in this island and the only resource we have, but not declaring if related or not is just not gonna be OK. Why afraid to disclose if there is nothing to hide on the first place. SG stayed ahead because of its people, not the ones sitting on top. Singaporeans are a super adaptive bunch and will not resign to fate come what may. Even with lousy governance, a united people knowing what's at stake will get passable decent society progress.

I never quite understood this myth. Who is hiding what? We surely know who is related to who and who is running what. There is even line charts for this.

PM Lee is LKY’s son and would have access to LKY’s important network of trusted folks built over many years. This is an attribute unique to PM Lee. And also PM Lee happened to top his cohort as President Scholar and subsequently, his Oxford or Cambridge... if he failed to get into NUS and bought his degree online and yet became PM, then I will vote in the opposition.

Oh and Ho Ching, did she buy her degree online? No man, she is also presidential scholar. You know how many important strategic assets ST Telemedia owns globally? And you much money ST Engineering makes for SG manufacturing weapons? Oops I not suppose to say all these I think... so beyond the headlines of “bad investment” made by Temasek, there are tons of good ones that can’t be said. About Temasek supporting US banks like Bank of America or Citibank during Great Financial Crisis... some times it’s not all financial reasons, especially when American sailors hang around in SG all the time.

In Singapore, regardless if you’re born in a HDB, you work hard, you are smart, you can become a George Yeo. If one is not smart, but works hard, one can still make a decent living, like me. If one is not smart and don’t work hard, then you are a slacker, perhaps you are better off beingin a neighboring country.

Yes you are right. Everyone has a chance, that was told when you were a kid. As you grow up, you realize its not really what you know, the key is WHO YOU KNOW. Heard of white horse in the armed forces? that's the best example of WHO YOU KNOW, doesn't matter you studied well or gotten straight As.

Name me one country that Who You Know doesn’t exist? It an ugly but real fact of life that everyone needs to accept. Being a VIP’s son of course comes with big unfair advantage. It’s like being a startup versus being a startup working for Microsoft. Why would we expect Microsoft not provide the most ideal path for its own startup to succeed?

All things equal. The hardworking and smart son of a VIP will do way better than the hardworking and smart son of a PHV.

But along the way, u get a George Yeo, a Chan Chun Sing, a Heng Swee Keat and the list goes on... because even if you are from a simpler background, but you work harder and is smarter than anyone else in your peer group, you get spotted in Singapore and you can even become PM.

And chances are, these folks are so smart that instead of lamenting about the issues of Who You Know, they accept it as a part of life, applied it to their advantage and made the most of it.

In short, get those straight As and get people to know you. Some ViP sons are too caught up in PS4, rest of us can catch up. :wink:

Singapore has no room for free loaders. Politicians should also not promote sexy thoughts being able to freeload in SG because of our Reserves. Our GDP/ Reserves (thus being able to afford SAF) is the only reason we have water to feed our families. Not some contractual obligations please my innocent fellow Singaporeans...

This i agree! No freeloaders in SG, we cannot allow that to happen because if it does thats the end of SG as we know it. We have to be lean and mean so as to stay competitive, but single hand cant clap, govt must see, walk and hear the ground. In times like this to open up the reserves is correct measure to assist everyone to move along. My stand has always been why doesn't the Govt think about allowing some withdrawals from CPF either Special or Medisave account for emergency use like this? Cases like retrenched due to this pandemic. Because its our own savings anyway and in this situation, at least allow a $2000 a month withdrawal for maximum 6 months period to help tide over until they find a job or something, when they get a job, the contributions will be put back anyway. No loss for the govt in this proposal and people draw and use prudently when its their own money. Only help those really in need like those who doesn't even have CPF savings and not encourage abuse.

SG does nothing but global trade. When global trade freezes, we earn zero. Fortunately, SG have some savings, so SG took out billions to help SG tide thru this crisis, which ain’t over yet. And I think it will get a lot worse. So more of our savings will be needed. Our savings is the only thing saving us now.

Good thing is that this crisis is hurting our neighbors too. We have money to rebuild but they don’t. So when the recovery comes, our lead will be extended once again.

About withdrawing CPF, I suppose if and when it’s truly needed, it can still happen. But for now, plenty of financial assistance for those who truly needs it.

True true. Likewise i am too, but if he/she doesn't know anyone then maybe not as smooth sailing.

I will ask my son to not to be naive about it and work hard to get VIPs to know him. If he has a buddy who is smarter, more hard working and whose dad owns a bank, please hang out with that buddy much and hopefully work for him and one day. Maybe my son can then be a somebody too.

Again true. But if he knows the correct person then might be a different story, maybe can be the next Razer?

Precisely. Couldn’t have said it better myself. so my advice for my son would be to get out there and get your name heard.

Most of the government leaders i know fought their way through school and won top student awards. They deserve their roles in society. If my son is the top scholar and still end up as a PHV driver, then i will definitely need to vote in the opposition.

Well, that's pretty hard to say, with all the talents flooding our shore, your son scholar asking 10000/mth and a talent from god knows where can accept 7500/mth doing the same shit then i think the talent outshine local scholars, not that its not happening as we speak. But between being a scholar and knowing who you know, i will surely choose the latter. It is also a merit to know who can bring you further in life, that's also Meritocracy

Only point I wanna add is be that scholar and know people too. Indeed it’s a merit.

Regarding talents flooding our shores, something I wrote elsewhere:

Soft Truth: Foreign Talents necessary?

The answer is a plain and simple yes.

Using simple math, our Singaporean Singaporean population is less than 3m and we don’t make enough babies to top up the number, so unless we allow immigration to make up the shortfall, otherwise in the extreme sense we will disappear as a nation.

Since immigration is necessary, who do we bring in? Quality folks who can contribute the “business“ of SG. We drain the brains from other countries to help SG stay ahead of them. Do they get all the good jobs? Of course! They are usually Creme of the crop of what they do in their home country before we hijack them to work for SG.

We then ensure we attached Singaporeans to work under these foreign talents and extract knowledge from them for the betterment of the SG workforce.

I think the immigration policy that opened the floodgates of low quality migrants from before has been closed. Now it’s a lot tougher to get migration to SG. Only the top notched folks get in these days.

These foreigners leave their homes to come work for SG. To ensure we stay better than our competition.

Some of them are bad eggs for sure. But most are pretty worthy.

My boss is an Ang Moh. But you know what, he is a genius in what he does and he imparts good stuff to me. I am very grateful that I get to learn from these very capable folks. And they are only here because of very specific policies and strategy to continually attract them by our government.

Back to my main point, so are foreigners getting the juicy PMET jobs? Yes. Because unless we keep hijacking these clever folks to top up the collective brain power, if not, our workforce will become less relevant and eventually, obsolete.

Reminder. We got no resources, other than our people. So if our people become less capable than the competition. We will be left with nothing.

“In this maze, the PAP government of today can create dead-ends, move walls, close off the exits. It can wield POFMA to silence, and defamation suits to ruin and bankrupt, those who disagree. It can choose to retain a long outdated discriminatory law. It can prosecute a single person for an illegal public assembly. Indeed, during Covid-19, it is investigating 2 young persons who separately stood up in public on concerns about climate change.”

POFMA is a one sided weapon to me, it is suppose correct the fake but to dispute the fake you need to have the truth isn't it, but you can say its fake via POFMA and refuse to release what is the truth means the perceived fake could actually be the truth. This Govt never take court of public opinion as an opinion at all not then not now and never will.

Court of public opinion belongs to the people. If they screw up so much and abuse their powers, we can vote them out.

Policemen carry guns. They can shoot a drunk wielding parang at a kid or they may well start shooting those who don’t wear their masks properly. As with all powerful weapons, it can protect us from harm. But if power is abuse, we can surely vote them out.

“The PAP can change the Constitution and deny Singaporeans a chance to elect the president. It can do this because the PAP has an overwhelming majority of the seats in Parliament.”

Sure, Richard Parker, spiderman needs you now...

Ok back to work now, continue soon Bud Fox

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i cracked pocket aces with an offsuit 2 and 7 (not 2 and 5) before in a texas hold’em poker game. in fact, an offsuit 2 and 7 is the worst hand in poker. nonetheless, the ante was low, i had to place the big blind, and there was nothing holding me back from calling if anyone at the table limped in. the lady with pocket aces just called the big blind, and i checked. the flop came out with 2 deuces and 1 seven. full house. if the turn revealed an ace, i was done for thus i would check hoping to trap plus playing it slow just in case someone had pocket 7’s or aces. everyone checked except the lady with pocket aces. she betted with twice the size of big blind - not scary enough. i called and the turn came out a 7. ok, an ace on the river would beat me if another held pocket aces. everybody else folded except me and the lady. she betted minimum, and sensing weakness, i raised double hers. since she’s pot committed she called. river came out a deuce! 4 of a kind! i stared into infinity with no sexpression and tried not to check my cards. she checked, and knowing she had lost and would not call, i checked to show my pair and also to see her pair. she nodded and sighed with a “phew” which sounded like a “phuck you!”

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
This cheebye IBOP is spewing his nonsense in another thread?

Can you finish your other ridiculous thread first please, bastard son of a donkey?

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
This cheebye IBOP is spewing his nonsense in another thread?

Can you finish your other ridiculous thread first please, bastard son of a donkey?

WTF this one is pro pap or oppo?
i simply cant continue reading after 2 paragraph?

i think its the most long winded post in the history of the internet
nobody in his right mind will post like that if he got no agenda of his own, jesus christ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and fucking zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
cheebye, such ppl exists?

fuck i have to edit my post after reading it
this one pap dog for sure, trying to sound reasonable

Last edited:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
i cracked pocket aces with an offsuit 2 and 7 (not 2 and 5) before in a texas hold’em poker game. in fact, an offsuit 2 and 7 is the worst hand in poker. nonetheless, the ante was low, i had to place the big blind, and there was nothing holding me back from calling if anyone at the table limped in. the lady with pocket aces just called the big blind, and i checked. the flop came out with 2 deuces and 1 seven. full house. if the turn revealed an ace, i was done for thus i would check hoping to trap plus playing it slow just in case someone had pocket 7’s or aces. everyone checked except the lady with pocket aces. she betted with twice the size of big blind - not scary enough. i called and the turn came out a 7. ok, an ace on the river would beat me if another held pocket aces. everybody else folded except me and the lady. she betted minimum, and sensing weakness, i raised double hers. since she’s pot committed she called. river came out a deuce! 4 of a kind! i stared into infinity with no sexpression and tried not to check my cards. she checked, and knowing she had lost and would not call, i checked to show my pair and also to see her pair. she nodded and sighed with a “phew” which sounded like a “phuck you!”
KNN my uncle don't know what you talking about but must be very exciting game same rike when he bet the bacarrat commissioned table placing bets of $300 to $500 will have the privilege to beo the cards and having phuck you eye contacts with the opposite player KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal

nobody in his right mind will post like that if he got no agenda of his own, jesus christ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and fucking zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
KNN my uncle think he is 30% oppie 70% pappie type of shitizen KNN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damnnnn this Jamus Lim is seriously impressive and hitting all the right notes... He plays the election game well.. Sengkang PAP folks 100% sweating...

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I couldn't continue after his sentence " Many has jumped on the bandwagon to say that the SG government has failed in its Covid-19 handling. I personally don’t see how. ..."

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok sorry my bad. I go in point form going forward.

Covid
- covid 19 response is v good actually
- hardly any Singaporeans died
- many workers at dorms affected but hardly died
- issue with policy that allowed 20 in a room

PMET
- best guy gets the job, foreigners or not
- if artificially give Singaporean the job, the job won’t be around after a while

CPF
- Singapore no resources other then people and savings
- if no CPF, old folks no help care
- if dig reserves, SG no defence

Ministers overpaid
- Jos Teo need to apologise.
- most ministers deserve their job coz they worked hard and smart enough to outshine

Soft truths
- many sensitive things govt can’t say
- no water = SAF attack, so need SAF
- ho ching = US no withdraw warships, protect SG
- PM Lee = just want best for SG and uphold Lee’s face

TBC

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok minimum wage.

How to? Suppose we get to decide and impose S$10 per hour.

Next day, many people be out of a job, ie. Plates clearing aunties, pump attendant uncles, Macdonalds old folks... etc

Minimum wage won’t magically help the lower income make more. That “extra” money needs to come from somewhere.

The actual problem is that businesses are already making very low margins in the current competitive environment.

If such businesses are forced to pay the $10 and cannot sack people, they simply go bankrupt and close down. Everyone die together.

The way to raise the wages of Singaporeans overall is to create jobs with productivity that can cover that $10.

Instead of allowing young kids to drive PHV, get them to learn something worthwhile and be certified for it.. ie. Instead of driving whole day and earn $100, understand this $100 is fleeting and with no competitive advantage, any dude with a driving license can join too and your $100 will become $90, then $80, $70 and after a while u decide to quit, then realizing the few years you spent driving PHV did not help you improve your income after all...

If instead, you took on a job where you can build upon some skills and better if these skills are relevant for the future. Then ur income will be low for a start but grows more over time.

Govt has been trying to solve this jobs problem for donkey years... back then was getting folks like HP in, also Jurong island oil & gas, then banks, then casino, then biotech... my order may be wrong but ya that’s what govt been trying to do.

And yet it’s so damn hard. Ironically it’s so damn hard, that if pap with all their power and might still can’t do it well. I really don’t think oppo can. If oppo can, I more than willing to hear out their plan. If it’s good, I will vote for them and make sure my family and friends vote for them too.

Innovation (ability to create better useful thingys) also need to see population figure. 5m people cannot out innovate 1.2B people. That’s why new technology company are now coming out from China as their education level goes up.

Truth is SG needs a salesman like LKY or Philip Yeo, George Yeo to attract the next clever businesses to SG and setup shop, so Singaporeans can learn and grow with them.

Oops kids woke, tbc again sorry haha

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok kids at childcare, have some time before I start work...

Continuing my spew on minimum wage.

Truth is the world out there is super competitive. Countries with natural resources can take it a bit more chill. SG only has people and some savings (from when times were good), that’s all.

SG govt has always been thinking super hard how to attract more investment (not just in the form of money but also of talents / innovation) into SG.

Honestly, I also don’t know what is the next plan for SG. All I hear is committees being formed. And these committees forming their own committees. Responsibility keeps getting deferred down. I hope the plan won’t end up being a whitepaper written by the junior analyst at the bottom of the power chain.

The Future Economy Council has an super important role. I hope they don’t screw it up by just organizing innovation events or photo op at science fairs. Somehow I feel we need a Philip Yeo kind of guy in there to kick ass and get stuff done.

This I feel is the most important task in SG now: Figuring out what business to do next.

Our Oil & Gas industry is dying. Casinos effect fading with competition from all over the region. Tourism? I not so sure if SG is that fun to visit any more. Banking? with giants like alibaba, tencent, Amazon, Facebook getting in on the act, I sense change is coming and faster than the banks expect... biotech? I still waiting for our first big break... tech? Grab being the most successful... I really don’t know what’s their angle. Ultimately, is it just a big car rental company with a good app. They can initially make money from the margins of the highly inefficient cabs companies from before. But after a while, all these will net itself out. Where then is the productivity gains? Asking people to buy food for me is not a tech company right. I don’t know but I hope they have some idea up their sleeves.

Sorry gotta go work liao.

All in all, I am worried for SG as it seems like we are running out of ideas.

Minimum wage, aiya, we all know deep down it won’t solve the problem... it’s just a nice election chant used by opposition to stir the emo of the common folks...

Btw during election, oppo anywhere in the world will chant the same few things (welfare, benefits, upgrades etc), which all boils down to moving (or printing) money from government to the people.

Been like that for hundreds of years already. No innovation in this area too. Haha bye

Last edited:

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

lousy writer
catch attention in first paragraph

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
All in all, I am worried for SG as it seems like we are running out of ideas.

I’ve been asking for ideas too.

Thank you for your views on the minimum wage. Would you then allude to the correlation that minimum wage works in other countries because they have other natural resources and/or local produce?