• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Matter of English

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does one correctly reply to the greeting/question 'How are you?'? I've noticed that of late alot of impressionable youngsters quip, "I'm good" or simply, "good". Not very sure but this is not correct is it? Would 'very well, thanks' or 'not too bad' be the appropriate way to reply, from both a linguistic angle as well as a societal one?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does one correctly reply to the greeting/question 'How are you?'? I've noticed that of late alot of impressionable youngsters quip, "I'm good" or simply, "good". Not very sure but this is not correct is it? Would 'very well, thanks' or 'not too bad' be the appropriate way to reply, from both a linguistic angle as well as a societal one?

Don't worry about grammar as this seems to be situational and common usage. Depends on who you are replying to?

Safe ones - I am well. Very well. I am good. Very well Thank you. I am fine. I am fine and you.

Australians tend to reply as - Good Thanks(with no pause and rather abrupt). Not too bad. plus as above

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good day,

Phatic communion 'questions' like 'how are you?', 'have you eaten?' or 'where are you going to (pergi mana)?' serve to establish some kind of social link between people. The 'correct' answer then is one which is acceptable (either grammatically or substantively) to both sides.

All 'correct' answers then are the the result of being 'impressionable', i.e. being in sync with the social context in which they are made. 'I'm good' is more in sync with the English more commonly used today while 'very well, thanks' with the time I was taught to respond to such questions.

Substantively inappropriate responses are far more interesting. I once heard in response to 'how are you?', details of someone's home and work life, and a suggestion at the end that I was a busybody.

Cheers.

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal

Huh? :confused:

It all depends on the social sub-group culture. Thus whether it is appropriate or not is all subjective (unless it is grammar related). End of the day depends on the person. Plus there are always those jokers who like to stand out and will always give an interesting answer. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
I think saying "I'm good" is ok.
What I can't understand is when people say "My bad", when they should be saying "It's my fault". :smile:

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
"How the U"

"No good"

"How come"

"Business Bad - no money"

"Can survive or not"

"Maybe Can..maybe cannot..see how"

like that isit?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think we shd view this in a social context.. culturally too.

Like asian (in these parts) greeting on "have you eaten", nobody's keen on your gastronomic delights or whinging on lousy, farty lunch. :p

And the angmohs (especially americans) ask "how are you" even to strangers, without sincerity or not even expecting your response.
...Phatic communion 'questions' like 'how are you?', 'have you eaten?' or 'where are you going to (pergi mana)?' serve to establish some kind of social link between people.
Substantively inappropriate responses are far more interesting. I once heard in response to 'how are you?', details of someone's home and work life, and a suggestion at the end that I was a busybody.
yansen84 said:
How does one correctly reply to the greeting/question 'How are you?'? ..from both a linguistic angle as well as a societal one?

Z

Zombie

How does one correctly reply to the greeting/question 'How are you?'?

No standard reply.

Ah Long: "How are you?"
PRC mm: "How are you?"
Pastor: "How are you?"
Divorced wife who took all your money: "How are you?"
PAP: "How are you?"
Your great-grandfather (long-deceased): "How are you?"
Unknown with a 10-inch knife and grinning: "How are you?"
Unknown with a 10-inch dick and grinning: "How are you?"

So, how are you to get the correct reply? :biggrin:

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think saying "I'm good" is ok.
What I can't understand is when people say "My bad", when they should be saying "It's my fault". :smile:

hah yeah that was what I was trying to hit at. If you say 'my bad' is wrong, then I think 'I'm good' is no better either? cos when someone asks 'how are you?', it's more like relating to your state of health or wellbeing. Whereas if you reply 'I'm good', it alludes more to your behaviour (well-behaved) or your ability (see beh zai).

as someone said, the butchering of the english language!! :confused:

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good day,

Phatic communion 'questions' like 'how are you?', 'have you eaten?' or 'where are you going to (pergi mana)?' serve to establish some kind of social link between people. The 'correct' answer then is one which is acceptable (either grammatically or substantively) to both sides.

All 'correct' answers then are the the result of being 'impressionable', i.e. being in sync with the social context in which they are made. 'I'm good' is more in sync with the English more commonly used today while 'very well, thanks' with the time I was taught to respond to such questions.

Cheers.

good answer. though I appreciate that we gotta do as society does, I can't help but feel 'I'm good' is inherently wrong in this context. I wouldn't say I hark back to the days where they taught you to reply 'very well, thanks', but I attribute this to the pervasiveness of american culture nowadays which has screwed up the english of many of our youngsters here. another example is the misspelling of words like 'harbour', 'labour' etc.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learnt this when I'm in sec school...

Q: How are you?
A: I am fine/not well/feeling great (all acceptable answers)

Q: How to you do?
A: I am doing fine/well/great/etc

"Good" in this 2 instances doesn't really translate to anything meaningful. My English teacher told the class that we should as far as possible not to describe anything as good or nice because it sounds vague.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How does one correctly reply to the greeting/question 'How are you?'? ...
u never ask lesser mortals tis question ...

if lesser mortals ask u ... look away, pretend never hear ...

if u tink dat person who ask u is n equal immortal, den say ... oh! gr8! me juz flung 46k on a useless french cooking cos ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just for humor:

Q: How do you do?
A: How do I do what? :confused:

Q: What's up?
A: Wait, let me look first (looking up to the sky...) :confused:

Q: Have you eaten?
A: Are you treating? :biggrin:

Q: Where're you going?
A: Are you giving me a lift? :biggrin: