• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Guide To Buying Durians.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
dur1.jpg

dura.jpg

As a durian lover, I will usually go for either mao sha wong or D24 not because i am choosy but durian season comes only twice a year.( in the early years sometimes only once a year) and i will only eat the most delicious one though a bit expensive here but no choice unless i am back in KL.
most of the durians sold here are mostly from jb namely segamat(been there plentiful of durian trees),kulai,batu pahat,muar and yong peng.
one must be careful when you buy durians here or in jb because most durians seller knows sinkies are goondus when buying or eating durians cause there are now copycat mao sha wong in the market, there was once i brought my family in jb and saw a stall selling durians including mao sha wong bought a few pieces and after eating it straight new that it is not the original, i approached the seller and told him that i ve been eating mao sha wong donkey years and this is not, dont lie to me i told him and he panicked and told me it is a cross breed mao sha wong.
it is much safer to go to a stall that sells only mao sha wong or ask the seller look at him in the eyes and ask him from pahang or jb.

This stall only sells rambutans and mao sha wong in KL.

durr.jpg

The reason mao sha wong is so tasty is because when i went to a friend orchard in bentong/pahang(his parents has since sold the orchard away for rm250k 10yrsnago, now at least easily rm 500k/700k) i notice that all the trees are on the slopes of the hilltop, the cool weather freshwater may contribute to the taste of this durian and this durian taste and smell can last a few good days compare to jb durians tasteless and rot faster

one durian that i really miss is our very own local durian back in the 70s and i think recently there were sinkies fighting over it at mandai.

DSCF0595_zps7a8c49b5.jpg

so in your next durian trip remember to choose wisely be ready to pay a bit more don't be stingy look at the seller in the eyes ask where is this durian from.

dur.jpg

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe the delicious durians that I ate during my past road trips to northern state of Kedah were the kampung durians cultivated by the villagers there. They sold their durians and other fruits from their farms by the roadsides. It tasted sweet and fleshy. Best of all is the cheap price for these fresh fruits. I always tend to let these roadside sellers keep the change as a way of appreciating the fruits of their labour. Eating durians by the roadside and enjoying the scenic Jerai Hill on the background. My fond memories of Kedah each time I visit the Thai temples there.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
I believe the delicious durians that I ate during my past road trips to northern state of Kedah were the kampung durians cultivated by the villagers there. They sold their durians and other fruits from their farms by the roadsides. It tasted sweet and fleshy. Best of all is the cheap price for these fresh fruits. I always tend to let these roadside sellers keep the change as a way of appreciating the fruits of their labour. Eating durians by the roadside and enjoying the scenic Jerai Hill on the background. My fond memories of Kedah each time I visit the Thai temples there.
Bro like you I always enjoy going to Malaysia or Hatyai for a break..i like driving on their highway, mountains, beaches, islands, food,fruits and nightlife which spore cannot compare to. I am fortunate to still have many kakis whom I befriend during my 20yrs working there ,always willing to entertain me when I called them.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@CoffeeAhSoh

Actually when I buy the frozen durian here in Calgary (whole fruit unopened) when open liao often it looks a bit like that "old" durian. Makes sense lah.

Frozen liao means quite long liao and dead already for some time.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not a durian connoisseur but I think Thai durians can't really fight the Malaysian durians in terms of quality and taste.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
The origin of raja kunyit,/cat mountain king/ mao she wong is here, the seed is very small in size.

As for these shops selling mao sha wong at prices like these, I can smell something fishy is going on, it could be a copycat cross-breeding. nevertheless, it tastes good why not but I am afraid chemical may be added so I would rather pay a bit more for the original.

Screenshot_20210813-200547_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210813-200625_Video Player.jpg