• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Challenge to SDP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both CSJ and LTK started off about 20 years ago as leaders of their party. Each chose a direction that is different as chalk and cheese. CSJ started with 2 seats in parliament and the other 1 seat in parliament. The one with the 1 seat ended with up with 7 more in parliament. The other lost 2 and never got back in parliament.

It took nearly 18 years for CSJ to realise that a change of tack was required. It took him 18 years to realise that a political party first has to engage the voters and then the PAP rather then than foreigners and the PAP. After 18 years he has realised that he was wearing the condom on the wrong head. In the meantime, SDP supporters treated voters as ignorant and the constant comment about 60% of the voters was not helpful. They tormented WP as PAP lackeys and at no time did CSJ step in correct any of these. Now with cap in hand they are approaching WP for talks. Go figure.

To CSJ and SDP, engaging the voters should be a single biggest focus. Even in 2011, SDP's James Gomez felt that working the ground was not a ideal approach. Lets face it, many in SDP are single issue social and civil activists. They genuinely fight a cause that they are passionate about. Party politics is a whole different world and its does not appeal to them. Even if these people were not in SDP, they cannot fit into any other political party. If you call them down for freedom march, protests, help to raise awareness about people trafficking, protection of nature reserves, etc they will be the first to turn up and give 110 %.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both CSJ and LTK started off about 20 years ago as leaders of their party. Each chose a direction that is different as chalk and cheese. CSJ started with 2 seats in parliament and the other 1 seat in parliament. The one with the 1 seat ended with up with 7 more in parliament. The other lost 2 and never got back in parliament.

To be fair to them, they have a sense of who they are to a greater sense than anybody else other than PAP and WP. There are "Green Parties" in other countries where the focus is on the NGOs, activist stuff. There may not be a big role for them in the current framework, but if they can reach the point where they get 2-3 seats in parliament all the time, and they are able to table a few issues in parliament, I don't think that's a bad place to be for a party in their position.

This feint of working the ground for a few days and then letting the WP have the chance to run is a little strange to pull off, but not impossible. They will sooner or later realise that politicking and staying true to their interests and ideals will conflict with each other. But I don't think that they should disappear from the ecosystem. And I even think that the WP would want to keep them around in some form, if nothing else but to have another form of firepower to aim at the PAP. They may be naive, but they occupy a certain niche that is replicated by nobody else.

I would write off RP as a goner. But also I want to know what the fuck NSP is doing. So many seats contested, one charismatic individual in Nicole Seah, and now off the radar. I would have thought that the post 2011 era is when all the opposition parties do their own growing, start finding out who they really are and consolidate the gains they made in 2011. Should any of these parties implode before 2016, then there will be a lot of territory up for grabs among the remaining parties.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Should any of these parties implode before 2016, then there will be a lot of territory up for grabs among the remaining parties.

and by this logic, it would be most interesting to see PAP implode from within :p:p:p