• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A by-product of Lee vs Lee?

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bukit Batok by-election: SDP's Chee Soon Juan aims to visit every flat

http://www.straitstimes.com/politics/singapolitics/he-aims-to-visit-every-flat

I cannot believe that the ST would write a good article about CSJ for once.

Maybe after LWL's recent complaint that our local MSM had no "freedom of speech", the MSM is now trying to be "nice" by giving some news coverage to the SDP's activities...

If that is the case, I say let the Lee vs Lee feud continues until the BBBE is over! :biggrin:

Bukit Batok by-election: SDP's Chee Soon Juan aims to visit every flat

Published 6 hours ago, by Joyce Lim

ST_20160414_JYCHEE14_2215015.jpg

ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

Decked in red party T-shirts, Dr Chee Soon Juan and his team of volunteers have been down in Bukit Batok almost daily for the past month.

The 53-year-old secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) said his team has knocked on every door in the single-seat constituency as they gear up for a by-election.

And they are going for a second round, he told The Straits Times, as not all residents were home when they went round.

The SDP was the quickest of the opposition parties to stake a claim in the ward, organising a walkabout in the constituency just a day after the PAP announced that Mr David Ong had resigned as MP.

"We are in it to win. We want to make sure that we put in maximum work," Dr Chee said in an interview at his party's Ang Mo Kio headquarters last week.

He is aware of the task ahead. At the 2015 General Election, the SDP's Mr Sadasivam Veriyah won just 26 per cent of the vote. In nearby Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, the four-man SDP team that Dr Chee led won 33 per cent of the vote.

But SDP volunteers recall that at the 1991 General Election, their candidate, Mr Kwan Yue Keng, won over 48 per cent of the vote in the Bukit Batok single seat.

Dr Chee believes it is a plus that this is a by-election. But he still needs to get out and convince residents. This includes talking about how the SDP can manage the town should it win.

"A lot depends on our own fight, our own strategy rather than it being a by-election," he added.

Dr Chee's first political contest was in the 1992 Marine Parade by-election. His team got 24 per cent of the vote in a four-way race.

He sat out the 2006 and 2011 elections as he was an undischarged bankrupt, but stood in September last year.

His team relies heavily on technology, live-streaming press conferences and posting videos online. They also use the slogan "Now is the time" and tell residents Dr Chee will be a more useful voice to have in Parliament than another PAP MP.

Dr Chee cited retrenchment concerns and cost of living as the two most pressing issues for residents. He told them that he will raise these issues if he is elected.

He said the SDP will launch programmes to help residents raise their quality of life, and pledged to surpass PAP-run town councils in terms of transparency. He announced a transition team to take over estate matters and form a new town council should he win.

Asked how residents have taken to him, Dr Chee paused, then said that they are generally polite.

But they have complained about rising prices and how Mr Ong initially did not provide a proper explanation to them of why he had resigned.

And what does Dr Chee's family have to say about his latest bid?

"My children said, 'Oh no! Again? Didn't you just have one?'" he said. "But they take it in their stride. I tell them it is always an opportunity to make that difference, even if it is incrementally."

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is a fair article. Even the brothel press has to be impartial when you are evidently on the right track and convey sentiment that the ground people feel.

Also illustrates why good press management is important

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a fair article. Even the brothel press has to be impartial when you are evidently on the right track and convey sentiment that the ground people feel.

Also illustrates why good press management is important

Agree with what you said about the importance of good press management.

My personal opinion is that if we have more than one newspapers, then it is quite ok for different newspapers to lean towards or supportive of different parties. For example, in the US, some newspapers are known to be pro Republicans and some are pro Democrats.

But in SG, we have only one newspaper company and one broadcasting station. So, they have been unfair towards the opposition parties by being pro PAP.

jw5

Loyal
Re: Bukit Batok by-election: SDP's Chee Soon Juan aims to visit every flat

And what does Dr Chee's family have to say about his latest bid?

"My children said, 'Oh no! Again? Didn't you just have one?'" he said. "But they take it in their stride. I tell them it is always an opportunity to make that difference, even if it is incrementally."

I wonder if Dr Chee had to explain why the previous pap mp had to resign, thereby leading to this by election. :biggrin:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

My personal opinion is that if we have more than one newspapers, then it is quite ok for different newspapers to lean towards or supportive of different parties. For example, in the US, some newspapers are known to be pro Republicans and some are pro Democrats.

But in SG, we have only one newspaper company and one broadcasting station. So, they have been unfair towards the opposition parties by being pro PAP.

Nonsense. Even if we have 3 or 5 quality newspapers, if people do not read them, they will still be ignorant. The only things the common man is interested to read are sensational and entertainment news. These are the news that make money. Just compare the success of TRS and its successors vs TOC, Middleground which have political bias and see for yourself. Freedom of press will only spread more ignorance.

jw5

Loyal
Nonsense. Even if we have 3 or 5 quality newspapers, if people do not read them, they will still be ignorant. The only things the common man is interested to read are sensational and entertainment news. These are the news that make money. Just compare the success of TRS and its successors vs TOC, Middleground which have political bias and see for yourself. Freedom of press will only spread more ignorance.

Nonsense. PAP scholars like you are also ignorant, even though you act like you know a lot. :wink:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed, and no republic can survive. That is why the Athenian lawmaker, Solon, decreed it a crime for any citizen to shrink from controversy. That is why our press was protected by the First Amendment, the only business in America specifically protected by the Constitution, not primarily to amuse and to entertain, not to emphasis the trivial and the sentimental, not to simply give the public what it wants, but to inform, to arouse, to reflect, to state our dangers and our opportunities, to indicate our crisis and our choices, to lead, mold, educate and sometimes even anger public opinion.

[video=youtube;zDzxtp3h28w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDzxtp3h28w[/video]

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. She actually came back and worked in SPH as sub editor for sometime and I think the people she stepped on were not aware.

http://theindependent.sg/how-lky-changed-my-life/

golden dragoon aka scrooballs the answer is written here so easy to find

This was the third time LKY had cost me my job: the first was when he closed the Singapore Herald in May 1971 (it was my first job). Then came my departure from the Sunday Nation. and finally, I couldn’t continue in a non-job at the Singapore office of the Review, but for medical and personal reasons, I had to remain in Singapore, so I resigned from the Review.

The New Paper
I eventually got another job at Singapore Press Holdings, this time I was hired as a sub-editor on The New Paper in 1995. But I got into trouble again, as a result of a comment I made to the BBC World Service in 1997 over the salary cuts the govenment announced it would make to ministerial salaries because of the recession.
The BBC called (the World Service people had my phone number since my Review days) and asked for my comments. I told them I had nothing to say but the reporter persisted. She asked me how I felt about the high salaries the PAP paid itself. I commented that, unfortunately, we had to take their word that they were worth what they were paid. They weren’t exactly top basketball players like Michael Jordan (I was a big fan then) whose skills were self-evident and deserved every dollar of his multi-million salary.
I was demoted because there was a clause in my contract (which I’d forgotten) which stated that I could not speak to other media without permission from my bosses.
I worked a total of eight years with TNP and finally resigned in 2003.
I used my language skills and trained as a speech and drama teacher with Julia Gabriel, a new line which gave me tremendous job satisfaction. I most enjoyed being a debate coach, training teenagers to debate. Two of my teams won the Secondary Schools Debating Championships: teaching bright young minds to analyse and critique policies was very fulfilling.
There’s no bitterness in me towards LKY or his government. It’s a personal choice to live in Singapore, which is home to my family, and enjoy the benefits of modern city life.
I enjoyed Cheong Yip Seng’s OB Markers. Not only because it had a couple of paragraphs on me, and gave me a few seconds of fame, but also because it recalled the blow an all-powerful politician and his knuckle-duster bureaucrats struck on my life.