• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Right Here Waiting" is a song by American singer and songwriter Richard Marx. It was released on June 29, 1989, as the second single from his second album, Repeat Offender. The song was a global hit, topping charts throughout the world, including the U.S. where it reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA. The song has been covered by many artists, including Monica for her album The Boy Is Mine.
"Right Here Waiting" was the second single from Repeat Offender, after "Satisfied". Marx wrote the song on the road as a love letter to his wife, the actress Cynthia Rhodes, who was in South Africa shooting on a film. The track was arranged by Marx with Jeffery (C.J.) Vanston to feature none of the heavy drums and synthesizers popular at the time, with Marx's vocal accompanied only by classical guitar (by Bruce Gaitsch) and keyboards (by Vanston). It is one of Marx's most frequently covered compositions.
"Right Here Waiting" entered the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart at #44 in the week of July 8, 1989, and became Marx's third consecutive #1 single on August 12, 1989. Certified Gold on August 21, the record spent three consecutive weeks at #1, replaced by Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted" in the week of September 2, 1989. The song was Marx's first of several to go to number one on the Hot Adult Contemporary Chart. Certified Platinum on October 16, 1989, "Right Here Waiting" is Marx's best selling single. It is also his most enduring, charting in the top 15 of Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Recurrents chart for four years running, from 2000 to 2003, more than ten years after its release. The song also reached #1 on the Radio & Records CHR/Pop Airplay chart on August 4, 1989 staying on the top of the chart for three weeks and remained on the chart for thirteen weeks.
In the United Kingdom, the song was released in August 1989 and peaked at #2,behind the Italian house song "Ride on Time" by Black Box, which was in first place for six uninterrupted weeks.
The video for this song was directed by Jim Yukich, and filmed on the road during Marx's 1989 Repeat Offender Tour. It features various black-and-white tour footage interspersed with color scenes of Marx playing the song to a dead auditorium on an empty stage with a grand piano. Contrary to popular belief, due to Marx's hectic touring schedule, very little time was available to produce a video for this single, so various tour footage was compiled to make an official video for the track.

Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The Sweetest Taboo" is a song by English band Sade from their second studio album, Promise (1985). It was released on 30 September 1985 as the album's lead single. While the song peaked at number 31 on the UK Singles Chart, it fared considerably better in the United States, where it reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 in March 1986, remaining in the top 40 for 13 weeks. It also became the band's second consecutive number-one single on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, following "Smooth Operator".
Tanya Rena Jefferson of AXS stated, "The group allows the song to shine with its mellow and uptempo flavor. Sade sings proudly and boldly about how she is given love which brings out the best in her. The quiet storm vibe allows one to stand and groove dance to the soulful peaceful sound of the song."

Helen Folasade Adu CBE (Yoruba: Fọláṣadé Adú [fɔ̄láʃādé ādú]; born January 16, 1959), known professionally as Sade Adu or simply Sade (/ʃɑːˈdeɪ/ shah-DAY) is a British-Nigerian singer, songwriter, and actress, known as the lead singer of her eponymous band. She has been credited as one of the most successful British female artists in history, and is often recognised as an influence on contemporary music. Her services to music were also recognised with an award of the Officer of the Order of the British Empire chivalry honour in 2002, and later the rank of the Commander of the same order in 2017.
Born in Ibadan, Nigeria, but brought up in Essex, England, Sade gained modest recognition as a fashion designer and part-time model, prior to joining the band Pride in the early 1980s. After gaining attention as a performer, she formed the band Sade, and secured a recording contract with Epic Records in 1983. The band then released the album Diamond Life a year later, which became one of the best-selling albums of the era, and the best-selling debut ever by a British female vocalist. In July 1985, Sade was among the performers at the Live Aid charity concert at Wembley Stadium. Following the band's two releases, Stronger Than Pride (1988) and Love Deluxe (1992), they would go on hiatus after the birth of Sade's child, while the singer experienced widespread media coverage during the period for unsubstantiated claims of mental health and addiction issues.
After a spell of eight years without an album, which came after Sade appeared in the film Absolute Beginners (1986), the band reunited in 1999, and released Lovers Rock in 2000. The album departed from the jazz-inspired inflections of their previous work, featuring mellower sounds and pop compositions. The band would then undergo another term of hiatus, not producing music for another ten years until the release of Soldier of Love. Following the album's release, the band entered a third period of hiatus, and have only released two new songs (2018's "Flower of the Universe" for the soundtrack of Disney's A Wrinkle in Time and "The Big Unknown", part of the soundtrack for Steve McQueen's film Widows) to date.
Helen Folasade Adu was born on 16 January 1959 in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria but is a native of Ekiti State. Her middle name, Folasade, means "honour confers a crown". Her parents are Adebisi Adu, a Nigerian lecturer in economics of Yoruba background, and Anne Hayes, an English district nurse; they met in London, married in 1955, and moved to Nigeria. When Sade was four years old, her parents separated. Anne Hayes then returned to England, taking Sade and older brother Banji with her to live with their grandparents near Colchester, Essex. When Sade was 11 years old, she moved to Holland-on-Sea, Essex, to live with her mother. After completing her education at Clacton County High School and Colchester Institute at age 18, she moved to London and studied fashion design at Saint Martin's School of Art
Sade squatted in Tottenham, North London, in the 1980s, with her then-boyfriend writer Robert Elms. In 1989, she married film director Carlos Pliego. Their marriage ended in 1995. Sade moved briefly to the Caribbean to live with Jamaican music producer Bob Morgan in the late 1990s, but they later separated. During her relationship with Morgan, Sade gave birth to a daughter, Mickailia "Ila" Adu, on 21 July 1996. Sade has been in a relationship with a former Royal Marine since 2007, and from this relationship she has a stepson. In 2016, on National Coming Out Day, Izaak Theo Adu, formerly Mickailia "Ila" Adu, came out as transgender. In September 2019, Izaak posted a message online, thanking his mother for her support through his transition.
In 2005, Sade moved to the Gloucestershire countryside, where she bought a run-down cottage to renovate. Sade rarely grants interviews.
Sade was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2002 for services to music, and stated her award was "a great gesture to me and all black women in England". She was promoted to Commander of the same Order (CBE) in the 2017 Birthday Honours, also for services to music.
75476798_468354637309866_8109147360250332906_n.jpg

Sade - The Sweetest Taboo

The Sweetest Taboo
Sade

If I tell you
If I tell you now
Will you keep on
Will you keep on loving me
If I tell you
If I tell you how I feel
Will you keep bringing out the best in me
You give me, you give me the sweetest taboo
You give me, you're giving me the sweetest taboo
Too good for me
There's a quiet storm
And it never felt like this before
There's a quiet storm
That is you
There's a quiet storm
And it never felt this hot before
Giving me something that's taboo
(Sometimes I think you're just too good for me)
You give me the sweetest taboo
That's why I'm in love with you (with you)
You give me the sweetest taboo
Too good for me
(Sometimes I think you're just too good for me)
I'd do anything for you, I'd stand out in the rain
Anything you want me to do, don't let it slip away
There's a…

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Screen-Shot-2017-04-03-at-3.26.42-PM.png

Sade’s daughter, Mickailia “Ila” Adu, PRIOR to her transformation into transgender man, Izaak Theo (via Pinterest)

vllkyt6pff3bt69e4.jpg

Before and after

Sade’s transgender son shares emotional message after undergoing reconstruction surgery
By KARU F. DANIELS

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
SEP 26, 2019 AT 7:01 PM
QKB6VE4O5BBI7DQW7FIQ3UWHUA.jpg

Izaak Theo Adu (inset) took to social media to share a heartfelt message of thanks to his mother, Sade (main), as he celebrates his transition from female to male. (Getty Images; Instagram)

On one of her biggest hits, Sade sings that “love is stronger than pride.”
And her 23-year-old transgender son can attest to that, after publicly praising the legendary singer for her love and support.
Izaak Theo Adu took to social media to share a heartfelt message of thanks to the internationally renowned pop/soul chanteuse as he celebrated his transition from female to male.
Adu reportedly spent the past six months in recovery after undergoing phalloplasty surgery.
On Instagram, he shared an intimate photo of himself hugging Sade, 60, along with a message praising her "unwavering support.”

“Thank you for your encouragement when things are hard, for the love you give me. The purest heart. I love you so much. Queen of queens ♥ #mumma #lioness #queen#iloveyou.”
Adu is Sade’s only child from her former relationship with reggae music producer Bob Morgan.
In 2016, Izaak came out as transgender to coincide with National Coming Out Day.
“I don’t have any regrets about coming out or being trans at all,” he said in a lengthy YouTube video posted in May. “In my head I was always boy. That’s it. I was just like, ‘I’m a boy in a girl’s body. That’s just life. That’s what it is. I’m obviously just a f---ing weirdo. But, turns out I was trans.”
“My mom is literally my rock, she’s my life and she has been nothing but supportive...my family’s been great,” he said during an open Q&A.
“I’m very very lucky I’ve had the support that I’ve had,” he added.
He shared some inspirational words from his father Bob: “My dad always says ‘keep your eyes on the horizon’ and that’s what I do, because through all this pain is the comfort that it’s not forever and I have the rest of my life ahead of me.”
“I am so, SO DAMN EXCITED, I just have to remind myself to be patient sometimes as I’m sure we all do. Big up to my Mumma, Pappa, family and friends for all the support you give me on the daily, it’ll never be forgotten.”

Screen-Shot-2017-04-03-at-3.43.26-PM.png

Sade and her transgender son (via Instagram)

https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com...e-chest-months-after-breasts-removal-surgery/

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Jack & Diane" is a 1982 hit rock song written and performed by American singer-songwriter John Mellencamp, then performing as "John Cougar." It appears on Mellencamp's album American Fool. It was chosen by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) as one of the Songs of the Century. The single spent four weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1982 and is Mellencamp's most successful hit single.
According to Mellencamp, "Jack & Diane" was based on the 1962 Tennessee Williams film Sweet Bird of Youth. He said of recording the song: "'Jack & Diane' was a terrible record to make. When I play it on guitar by myself, it sounds great; but I could never get the band to play along with me. That's why the arrangement's so weird. Stopping and starting, it's not very musical." Mellencamp has also stated that the clapping was used only to help keep time and was supposed to be removed in the final mix. However, he chose to leave the clapping in once he realized that the song would not work without it.
In 2014 Mellencamp revealed that the song was originally about an interracial couple, where Jack was African American and not a football star, but he was persuaded by the record company to change it.
The song was recorded at Criteria Studios in Miami, Florida, and was produced by Mellencamp and Don Gehman (with Gehman also engineering). Backing Mellencamp were guitarists/backing vocalists Mick Ronson, Mike Wanchic, Larry Crane, drummer Kenny Aronoff, bassist/backing vocalist Robert Frank, and keyboardist Eric Rosser.
In 1982, producer and guitarist Mick Ronson worked with Mellencamp on his American Fool album, and in particular on "Jack & Diane." In a 2008 interview with Classic Rock magazine, Mellencamp recalled:

Mick was very instrumental in helping me arrange that song, as I'd thrown it on the junk heap. Ronson came down and played on three or four tracks and worked on the American Fool record for four or five weeks. All of a sudden, for 'Jack & Diane,' Mick said, 'Johnny, you should put baby rattles on there.' I thought, 'What the fuck does put baby rattles on the record mean?' So he put the percussion on there and then he sang the part 'let it rock, let it roll' as a choir-ish-type thing, which had never occurred to me. And that is the part everybody remembers on the song. It was Ronson's idea.

Mellencamp lives five miles outside of Bloomington, Indiana, on the shores of Lake Monroe, but he also has a vacation home on Daufuskie Island, South Carolina. In January 2018, Mellencamp purchased an 1,800-square-foot (170 m2) loft in the Soho district of New York City for $2.3 million that he is using as an art studio.
Mellencamp was married to Priscilla Esterline from 1970 until 1981 and to Victoria Granucci from 1981 until 1989. He married fashion model Elaine Irwin on September 5, 1992. On December 30, 2010, Mellencamp announced that he and Irwin had separated after 18 years of marriage. Their divorce became official on August 12, 2011, with the couple negotiating "an amicable settlement of all issues involving property and maintenance rights, the custody and support of their children, and all other issues", according to the settlement agreement.
rs-144763-663188f9e30434f6519b2f859d3f429b2c2483e8.jpg

Elaine was 23 years old when she married musician John Mellencamp on September 5, 1992. The two met when she was hired to appear on the cover of Mellencamp's Whenever We Wanted album (and appear in the music video for "Get A Leg Up"). Within 10 weeks, they were engaged. The couple has two sons.

Mellencamp has five children from his three marriages: daughter Michelle from his marriage to Esterline; daughters Teddi Jo and Justice from his marriage to Granucci; and sons Hud and Speck from his marriage to Irwin. Daughter Teddi Mellencamp Arroyave is a cast member of the eighth and ninth seasons of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. After his divorce from Irwin, Mellencamp began dating actress Meg Ryan. It was reported that Mellencamp and Ryan broke up in the middle of 2014 after dating for over three years.
In September 2015, Mellencamp reportedly started dating former supermodel Christie Brinkley. In August 2016, the couple's publicist confirmed they had broken up.
Christie-Brinkley-and-John-Mellencamp-698323.jpg

Christie Brinkley and John Mellencamp have split after one year of dating

In July 2017, it was reported that Mellencamp and Ryan had reunited and were dating again. In November 2018, the couple became engaged. Mellencamp and Ryan confirmed on November 4, 2019 that they had broken off their engagement and split once again, almost exactly one year after they announced their engagement.
In April 2020, it was reported that Mellancamp has been dating skincare expert Jamie Sherrill since the beginning of the year. They are both from the same small town in southern Indiana.

John Mellencamp - Jack & Diane

Jack and Diane
John Mellencamp

A little ditty 'bout Jack & Diane
Two American kids growing up in the heart land
Jack he's gonna be a football star
Diane debutante in the back seat of Jacky's car
Suckin' on chilli dog outside the Tastee Freez
Diane sitting on Jacky's lap
Got his hands between her knees
Jack he says:
"Hey, Diane, let's run off behind a shady tree
Dribble off those Bobby Brooks
Let me do what I please"
Saying oh yeah
Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone
Sayin' oh yeah
Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone
Now walk on
Jack he sits back, collects his thoughts for a moment
Scratches his head, and does his best James Dean
Well, now then, there, Diane, we ought to run off to the city
Diane says:
"Baby, you ain't missing nothing"
But Jack he says:
"Oh…

John Mellencamp Is Dating Jamie Sue Sherrill After Split From Meg Ryan
By Erin Crabtree
April 1, 2020
John-Mellencamp-Is-Dating-Jamie-Sue-Sherrill-After-Split-From-Meg-Ryan.jpg

John Mellencamp, Jamie Sue Sherrill and Meg Ryan. Scott Roth/Invision/AP/Shutterstock; MediaPunch/Shutterstock; Swan Gallet/WWD/Shutterstock

Love is always just around the corner. John Mellencamp is dating Jamie Sue Sherrill, a.k.a. Nurse Jamie, following his split from fiancée Meg Ryan.
John-Mellencamp-Spends-Wild-Night-With-Mystery-Blonde-Feature.jpg

Hot Rebound Romances
The singer, 68, and the celebrity skin expert were spotted at Evil by the Needle tattoo parlor in Bloomington, Indiana, in February. “Today I tattooed Jamie sue sherrill and she brought John Mellencamp with her for support,” an artist at the store captioned a Facebook photo of Mellencamp at the time.
The couple have been together “since the beginning of the year,” according to E! News.
Mellencamp and Ryan, 58, dated from 2011 to 2014 before calling it quits. They briefly reconciled but then split again in 2015. “Oh, women hate me,” he admitted during a March 2017 appearance on Howard Stern’s SiriusXM show. “I loved Meg Ryan. She hates me to death.”

Celebrity Couples Who Met on Social Media
The Grammy winner elaborated that her feelings toward him stemmed from his behavior. “I think it’s because I’m a child,” he explained at the time. “I throw fits, I gripe, I complain. I’m moody. Every bad thing that a fella can be, that’s me.”
However, Us Weekly confirmed in July 2017 that the two had been back together for months.

Ryan announced her engagement to Mellencamp in November 2018. “ENGAGED!” she wrote via Instagram.

The crooner gushed over the You’ve Got Mail star one month later. “I’m engaged … at 67 to a very funny woman,” he noted during a December 2018 interview with Today. “The funniest woman [I’ve] ever met.”

Celebrities Who Started Dating After Years of Friendship
He added of their on-again, off-again relationship: “I’m probably not the easiest guy to get along with, so … let’s leave it at that.”

Us broke the news in October 2019 that Ryan and Mellencamp broke up for good. “She’d had enough and ended [their engagement],” a source revealed at the time. “She has no regrets.”

The “Jack and Diane” singer was previously married to Priscilla Esterline from 1970 to 1981, Victoria Granucci from 1981 to 1989 and Elaine Irwin from 1992 to 2011. He has five children from past relationships: daughters Michelle, Teddi and Justice as well as sons Hud and Speck.

Sherrill, meanwhile, is the mother of triplets.

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kennedy William Gordy (born March 15, 1964), better known by his stage name Rockwell, is an American former musician and singer-songwriter who was signed to the Motown label. He is best known for his 1984 hit single "Somebody's Watching Me".
Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-26%2Bat%2B10.07.22%2BAM.png

Kennedy William Gordy aka Rockwell is the son of Motown founder and CEO Berry Gordy and Margaret Norton. His father named him Kennedy William after John F. Kennedy and William "Smokey" Robinson.
To avoid the appearance of nepotism, he secured his record deal without his father's knowledge. Motown actually came up with the name Rockwell and the young Gordy agreed to the change because he believed he "rocked well."
In 1984, Rockwell had his biggest single, "Somebody's Watching Me", with childhood friend Michael Jackson singing the chorus lyrics and Jermaine Jackson singing back-up. "Somebody's Watching Me" became a Gold-certified million selling #2 song in the US, which also peaked at #6 in the UK. It held #1 on Billboard's R&B chart for five weeks.
michael-jackson-and-rockwell.jpg

Michael Jackson and Berry Gordy’s son, Rockwell

rockwell-with-michael-jackson-somebody-watching-me-560e9f37-30d3-4a35-8f22-03df0d4b8f88.jpg

Follow-up singles underperformed, with "Obscene Phone Caller" being Rockwell's only other Top 40 single. It reached #35 on the Billboard Hot 100. Rockwell released two more albums before ending his musical career with Motown.
Rockwell was not the first member of the Gordy family to hit Billboard's Hot 100 as a recording artist. His uncle, Robert Gordy, reached the longer reaches of the chart in 1958 with "Everyone Was There," recording under the name of Bob Kayli.
Rockwell is the son of Berry Gordy. Rockwell's paternal half-sister is actress Rhonda Ross Kendrick, the eldest child of Diana Ross. Rockwell is also closely related to the group LMFAO through his half-brother Redfoo (Stefan Kendal Gordy, son of Berry Gordy and Nancy Leiviska) and his nephew SkyBlu (Skyler Austen Gordy, son of half-brother Berry Gordy IV and his wife Valerie Robeson).
In July 2010, Rockwell married Nicole Moore. In 2013 he filed for divorce. The couple have no children together.
R&B singer Rockwell has been granted a restraining order against his ex-partner amid allegations of threatening behaviour.
The Somebody’s Watching Me star, and son of Motown record label founder Berry Gordy, was allegedly beaten by ex Leslie Miller on 30 May (16). She was arrested for misdemeanour battery and released from jail on 2 June (16).
Since the incident, Rockwell, real name Kennedy William Gordy, claims Miller has been making threatening phone calls to him and his father, according to TMZ.com.
A judge has reportedly granted him the restraining order, which bans Miller from making contact or coming within 100 yards (91 metres) of him. Rockwell wanted his father to be granted the same protection, but has been told he will have to file his own request.
According to law enforcement sources, Miller wasn’t prosecuted for the alleged incident due to insufficient evidence.
On November 29, 2018, Rockwell was arrested in Hollywood for allegedly beating a female associate with a chair at the Magic Castle Hotel after she approached him and demanded payment. Rockwell was released from jail on December 1, 2018, on a $30,000 bail. On January 7, 2019, the woman, who suffered multiple injuries from the attack and had undergone surgery to repair a broken arm, filed a lawsuit against Rockwell in Los Angeles for personal injury, claiming damages exceeding $25,000.

Knife - Rockwell

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
John Warren Geils Jr. (February 20, 1946 – April 11, 2017), known professionally as J. Geils or Jay Geils, was an American guitarist. He was known as the leader of The J. Geils Band.
Growing up in New York City, Geils became interested in jazz and blues. After moving to Massachusetts for his college education, he formed the J. Geils Blues Band while still a student at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. After dropping the word "Blues" from their name, the band released their first album in 1970, performing soul and rhythm and blues-influenced rock music for most of the 1970s before turning to pop music in the 1980s. After the band broke up in 1985, Geils left regular performing to take up restoration and racing of automobiles, with occasional forays into music production. He continued to appear in reunion tours with the rest of his band sporadically during the 2000s and 2010s.
On April 11, 2017, Groton Police conducted a well-being check on Geils and found him unresponsive at his home.( where he had lived for 35 years) . He was pronounced dead from natural causes at age 71.
C9K6KSIUwAA-M3W

GUITARIST JOHN GEILS JR. FOUND DEAD AT HOME

by The Associated Press

Wednesday, April 12th 2017
GROTON, Mass. (AP) — Musician J. Geils, founder of The J. Geils Band known for such peppy early 80s pop hits as "Love Stinks," ''Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold," has died in his Massachusetts home at 71.
Groton police said officers responded to Geils' home around 4 p.m. Tuesday for a well-being check and found him unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"A preliminary investigation indicates that Geils died of natural causes," police said in a statement.

"Centerfold" is a single released by The J. Geils Band from their album Freeze Frame. The song is about a man who is shocked to discover that his high school crush appeared in a centerfold spread for an unspecified men's magazine. The song's narrator is torn between conflicting feelings: his disappointment due to her loss of innocence, and his lust until the end of the song.
It was released in autumn 1981, and eventually went to Number 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in February 1982, and stayed there for six weeks. It was the first single released from the album Freeze Frame and was an early staple on MTV. It also peaked at Number 1 in Australia and Canada.
In February 1982, after the song hit No. 1 in the US, "Centerfold" peaked at No. 3 in the UK Top 40, earning The J. Geils Band their only major hit single in the UK, although follow-up "Freeze-Frame" was a minor hit. The song is one of the on-disc songs on the 2010 music video game Rock Band 3.
In 2018, the song was ranked at No. 66 on Billboard's All Time Top Songs.

J. Geils Band - Centerfold

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
J. Geils' 'Centerfold': 4 things you may not have known about the hit song
By Oliver Gettell
April 11, 2017 at 11:23

Rock music fans are mourning the death of John Warren Geils Jr., the guitarist and founder of the J. Geils Band, who was found dead in his Massachusetts home Tuesday at age 71. Formed in 1967 and reaching their commercial peak in the ’80s, Geils’ eponymous band was known for such songs as “Love Stinks,” “Freeze Frame,” and most of all “Centerfold.”
You’ve surely heard the bouncy, synth-heavy tune — about a guy who is shocked to learn that his high school crush has posed nude in a men’s magazine — but here are four things you might not have known about it.

A New Sound

“Centerfold” marked a departure from the raw, blues-based sound that had been the J. Geils Band’s trademark throughout the ’60s and ’70s, earning them a reputation for dynamic live shows. Incorporating elements of new-wave pop, “Centerfold” catapulted them to mainstream success.

J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame

Chart Topper

Released in September 1981 off the album Freeze-Frame, “Centerfold” took some time to catch fire but would ultimately prove to be the band’s biggest hit. The song reached the No. 1 spot on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in February 1982 and stayed there for six weeks.

Family Ties
The “Centerfold” music video — which was in heavy rotation in the early days of MTV — was directed by Paul Justman, brother of J. Geils Band keyboard player and songwriter Seth Justman. Seth wrote or co-wrote all the tracks on Freeze-Frame, while Paul also directed the band’s videos for “Land of 1,000 Dances” and “Freeze-Frame,” as well as the 2002 documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Screen Time

“Centerfold” has a long history on the big and small screens. It’s been used in movies including Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle, The Watch, and Grown Ups 2; TV series including The Goldbergs, The King of Queens, Spaced, The Office, and Glee; and the third installment of the Rock Band video game series.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Who's Holding Donna Now" is a 1985 hit single recorded by DeBarge for the Gordy label. It was their second consecutive Top 10 Pop hit in the U. S. after the release of "Rhythm of the Night".
After recording the successful dance single, the group returned to their more comfortable standard of ballads. Relying on an outside producer, outside songwriters, and background vocalists, Richard Page and Steve George, this song was recorded and released as the second single from their fourth album, Rhythm of the Night.
The song reached number six on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on the chart dated August 10, 1985 and spent four weeks at number two on the R&B chart on July 26, 1985. It also became DeBarge's third song to top the Billboard Adult Contemporary listing on July 19, 1985.

DeBarge - Who's holding Donna now
Eldra Patrick "El" DeBarge (born June 4, 1961) is an American singer-songwriter, musician and producer. He was the focal point and primary lead singer of the family group DeBarge. Popular songs led by El DeBarge include "Time Will Reveal", "Stay with Me", "All This Love", and "Rhythm of the Night". As a solo artist, he is best known for his unique high tenor register, strong falsetto and hits like "Who's Johnny" and "Love Always". He's also collaborated with artists such as Dionne Warwick, Al Green, Lalah Hathaway, Tone Loc, Babyface, Faith Evans, Quincy Jones, Fourplay, and DJ Quik. DeBarge is a five time Grammy Award nominee.

In 1981, The DeBarges was released after the family had worked in the studio for a year recording it. The album was noted for most of its songs produced and written by all four family members including Bobby DeBarge, who helped end the album track "Queen of My Heart" after El had led the song for most of its tenure. The following album, 1982's All This Love featured younger brother James and saw much success with the compositions "I Like It" and the title track. El would remain the producer and arranger for all of the group's Motown albums. In 1983, DeBarge released In a Special Way, which spawned the hits "Time Will Reveal" and "Love Me in a Special Way", and in 1984, the band became a sensation while touring for Luther Vandross on the singer's Busy Body tour. Though the group enjoyed much success and appeared to be a family unit, there were growing tensions between El and his brothers, mainly because of Motown's push to have El become the only noted star of the group, repeating a pattern that began with Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. By the end of the tour, El DeBarge was mainly called to handle the production of DeBarge's next album, Rhythm of the Night, without much help from his siblings. The DeBarge family had one more album, although El and Bobby weren't on the album. Bobby had died years after the album was released and El was working as a solo artist.
Rhythm of the Night became the group's best-selling album ever, although some contended that El DeBarge was the only member present on the album with the exception of the title track, which became a top five hit in several countries including the US and UK becoming the group's and El's signature song. In late 1985, he appeared on The Facts of Life in the Season 7 episode "Doo-Wah" as himself and performed his single "You Wear it Well" with Lisa Whelchel, Kim Fields, Mindy Cohn, and Nancy McKeon singing backup. In 1986, El DeBarge left the group and began his solo career with the release of his self-titled debut album, which spawned the hits "Who's Johnny" and "Love Always". Three years passed, however, until DeBarge released his second album, Gemini in 1989. The album had two hits,″Real Love″ and ″Somebody Loves You″. DeBarge's contract with Motown was terminated in 1990, and he signed with Warner Bros.. In the meantime, DeBarge was featured on the Quincy Jones single "The Secret Garden", alongside Al B. Sure!, James Ingram, and Barry White, released in 1990.
In 1992, DeBarge released his third album, the Maurice White-produced In The Storm, which featured the Chanté Moore duet "You Know What I Like", which was Moore's first professional recording. Critics noted the album for its Marvin Gaye-styled productions. El DeBarge later admitted that Gaye was a huge influence on his musical style and once commented that he had initially written "All This Love" as a song he imagined Gaye doing; he even imitated Gaye's ad-libs during his I Want You era near the end. That same year, El had chart success on the R&B charts with a collaboration with Fourplay on their version of Gaye's "After the Dance". DeBarge's next album, 1994's Heart, Mind and Soul, co-produced with Babyface, yielded modest charted singles such as "Slide" and "Where is My Love" (which featured Babyface on duet vocals).
While DeBarge continued to collaborate on other artists' projects, including those of his brother Chico and rapper DJ Quik (with whom El collaborated on Quik's hit "Hand in Hand"), he didn't release any more albums between 1994 and 2009. In 2010, he finally emerged from a 16-year delay with the appropriately titled Second Chance, released after a series of comeback performances and appearances, including a well received performance at the 2010 BET Awards. The album yielded two singles, "Second Chance" and the Faith Evans duet "Lay With You", and later resulted in three Grammy Award nominations: Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, Best R&B Song and Best R&B Album. El remains the only member of the DeBarges to have Grammy nominations both outside of the group and in the family.
DeBarge was raised in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan, as a child. His parents had a tumultuous marriage that involved domestic abuse and child abuse on the part of DeBarge's father Robert. DeBarge has remained silent on his relationship with his father and many other elements of his family life, later documented in books written by his mother Etterlene, sister Bunny, and brother Tommy. In 1978, DeBarge became a father to his first child, a daughter named Adris. He eventually went on to father 12 children altogether. DeBarge was close to his siblings, particularly his brothers Bobby and Chico. Bobby's death in 1995 had a profound effect on DeBarge; family members later said he has never fully recovered from it. Since Bobby's death, he has performed several of Bobby's songs with Switch onstage, sometimes with Chico singing along. DeBarge and several DeBarge brothers reunited in 1998 performing several DeBarge classics.

In 2001, DeBarge was arrested for cocaine possession and was given probation. In 2006, he was arrested again for possession of a controlled substance and was once again given probation. In 2007, he was arrested in a domestic dispute and was held without bail; the charges were later dropped. Later that year he was arrested yet again, charged with cocaine possession, and given probation. However, he was once again arrested in 2008 for possession of crack and drug paraphernalia, breaking the terms of his probation. For this violation he was immediately sentenced to two years in state prison in California.
DeBarge has had a history of drug abuse. He stated that his addiction started after he began receiving prescription medication for toothache pain after having a tooth pulled by a dentist. Up until then, DeBarge had not used drugs, unlike his siblings who began to abuse drugs during the tenure of the group. By the mid-1990s, DeBarge had become addicted, and his addiction resulted in his career faltering after its peaks in the 1980s. Following a prison sentence for which he served 13 months, DeBarge announced that he had found sobriety after an addiction that he said had lasted nearly 25 years, stating he had also acknowledged his problems with the law in the past. In February 2011, while promoting his 2010 album Second Chance, DeBarge's label announced that the singer was canceling all public dates and appearances as he went back to rehab following a relapse. DeBarge later returned to work and made an appearance at the 54th Grammy Awards in February 2012.

Singer El DeBarge arrested in Encino on suspicion of drug possession
MARCH 21, 2012 | 10:35 AM
6a00d8341c630a53ef0163031c4a17970d-640wi

Grammy-winning singer El DeBarge, who has struggled with substance abuse, was arrested in Encino on suspicion of drug possession with intent to sell, department officials said Wednesday.
Undercover narcotics officers were conducting an investigation near White Oak Avenue and the 101 Freeway early Monday when they spotted the singer and another man acting suspiciously, said LAPD spokeswoman Norma Eisenman.
Officers recovered narcotics from an area where DeBarge had been standing, Eisenman said.
El DeBarge, best known for the Grammy-winning song "Rhythm of the Night" in the mid-1980s as part of his family's group DeBarge, was booked on suspicion of possession for sale of drugs.
The other man, Curtis Freeman, was arrested on suspicion of attempted drug possession.
DeBarge attorney Spencer Vodnoy said he was skeptical about the initial booking charge of possession for sale given his client's struggle with drug use.
"The DeBarge family is very close knit and have had their struggles with substance abuse," Vodnoy said. "They will do what they always have done, which is to support their sibling through this."

EL DEBARGEOff The Hook After Drug Arrest
3/22/2012
8837f3f2042e5ad0bfac506adc021182_md.jpg

"Rhythm of the Night" singer El DeBarge is in the clear after he was arrested for drug possession this week -- because the L.A. County D.A. has declined to file charges.
According to official D.A. documents, the case was rejected due to insufficient evidence.
TMZ broke the story ... DeBarge was arrested on Tuesday for felony possession of narcotics with intent to sell -- the singer's third drug arrest since 2001.
According to the docs, police officers noticed DeBarge and another man speaking on the street -- and for some reason, decided to search them ... without giving a reason why.
After searching them and coming up with nothing -- cops claim they perused the surrounding area ... and found a baggie of rock cocaine hidden under a nearby car.
The other man insisted he was there to buy the rock from DeBarge -- but DeBarge denied the accusation ... and the D.A. decided there wasn't enough evidence to make the charge stick.

T3dsZjBDZko1bG1sbjY1MmMzS2EuanBn.jpg

El Debarge Accused of Pulling a Shotgun on Alleged Ex-Girlfriend
Dec 18, 2017

A woman who says she was in a relationship with "Rhythm of the Night" singer El DeBarge just got a restraining order against him after she claims he sped up to her on the freeway and waved a shotgun in the air.
Tammie Terrell Rose claims on the night of December 9, she was driving on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles when El DeBarge came up behind her driving another vehicle. Rose says "He came around me on the shoulder of the freeway and he pulled in front of me and he pulled a shotgun out and waved the shotgun in the air."
Rose also says his daughters have harassed her by calling her a "loser bitch," and allegedly yelling at her. The details seem a bit bizarre, but Rose believes DeBarge has his family and associates on a mission to sabotage her for reasons unknown.
The judge signed off on the temporary restraining order, and El DeBarge must stay 100 yards away from Rose until their hearing next month.

Debarge only publicly spoke out about the alleged shotgun incident once, on December 17, 2017, when he took to Twitter to deny her claims…and pray for her soul:
Screen-Shot-2018-07-17-at-12.26.31-PM.png

‘Rhythm of the Night’ singer arrested for felony vandalism
By Francesca Bacardi
July 17, 2018

el-debarge.jpg

El DeBarge

“Rhythm of the Night” singer El DeBarge was arrested after he allegedly took a wrench to a person’s windshield.
The singer, whose real name is Eldra Patrick DeBarge, got into an argument Friday night in California and chased a man out of a house, TMZ reported. The unidentified man then ran to hide in an RV, where 57-year-old DeBarge allegedly attacked the windshield with the tool.
The man called the police, who arrested DeBarge for felony vandalism. He spent the night in jail before posting $20,000 bail.
El DeBarge’s rep did not immediately return a request for comment.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
El Debarge Has 12 Kids & Detailed His Struggles To Reconnect With Them
April 27, 2018
At 56 years young, El Debarge may have a youthful look, but he’s got grown man responsibilities. El has 12 children- yeah you read that right, TWELVE- and about 7 years ago, he opened up to Jet Magazine about the many struggles he’s had as he attempts to reconnect with all of them. He also explained why he wasn’t there for them. We respect El’s honesty. He’s showing other distant dads that it’s never too late to diligently work toward reconnecting with your children. See what El revealed below…
el-debarge-at-2017-bet-awards-at-microsoft-theater-on-june-25-2017-in-picture-id800903236

El DeBarge (Photo by Johnny Nunez/Getty Images for BET)

El Discusses His 12 Children By 5 Women
In his Jet interview, El revealed that he has 12 children (11 biological and one he’s accepted as his own) by 5 different mothers (3 of whom he was married to). After overcoming a 22 year drug habit that largely kept him away from his kids, El expressed this:

“I intend to be in their lives forever. God gave me a second chance. I am so very glad with what is going on with my career, but I want to be a success in my relationship with my children”, DeBarge says.
Screen-Shot-2016-07-15-at-5.09.45-PM.jpg

Throwback photo of El with 2 of his sons (via Instagram)

El Debarge Explains How He Lost 1 Of His 12 Children
El sadly recalled how he lost one of his children:

El DeBarge’s voice drops when he talks about his 3-year-old daughter. “I have one child that I lost to the system when I was on drugs”, he admits softly to JET over the phone. He chooses his words with care. You can feel his pain, the regret. He believes that the girl has been adopted. “I don’t know where she is.”
El also spoke on two other children he’d never met at that time (2010):

He would love to find his 3-year-old daughter and he reveals that he has yet to forge a solid relationship with at least two of his children. “I know where they are. But so many years have gone by. They know their dad is El DeBarge … I am trying to earn their trust again. I am calling and texting … It’s kind of hard; they got used to me not being around.” He admits, “I lost them. I am trying to reconnect with them. From that point, it is hard on me emotionally.”
El’s Eldest Child On Re-Meeting Him In Her 20’s
Screen-Shot-2016-07-15-at-5.37.24-PM.jpg

El Debarge and daughter, Adris (via Facebook)
El reconnected with his oldest daughter, Adris (pictured above on her wedding day), when she was in her late 20’s and he said this about having been a teenage dad:

“I was in no way ready when my daughter was born. But I want to be a good father to her.”
Adris on reconnecting with her dad, El:

“It is brand new and I am enjoying it to the fullest”, she says. “What gives me so much joy and so much pride right now at this point in our lives is to just watch him and be able to see him sober and happy, so happy and whole. It really is such a gift to have him around.”
Screen-Shot-2016-07-15-at-5.09.55-PM.jpg

Throwback pic of El Debarge and his kids (via Pinterest)

Brother, Chico Debarge Admires El’s Passion For His Kids
El’s brother/singer, Chico Debarge, admires El for owning up to his wrongs and making genuine efforts to do right by his children :

“He [El] is very attentive, he is on it. He is reaching out to them and communicating with them on all levels. If they are angry, he lets them vent that out. I’ve seen him do that. He lets them get it out. He is trying to catch up on all the years he missed. He is trying to make up for what he didn’t do and give them what he can right now,” Chico told Jet Magazine.
It’s a beautiful thing to see El Debarge doing everything in his power to be a better man and a better father to his children. Wishing that brotha all the best.

https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com...etailed-his-struggles-to-reconnect-with-them/

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Don't Answer Me" is a 1984 song by the Alan Parsons Project from the album Ammonia Avenue. It reached number 15 on the Billboard charts in the United States and was the final Billboard Top 20 hit for the group. It also reached number 58 in the United Kingdom, the group's highest chart placing in their native country. The music video was rendered in comic book style, with art and animation by Michael Kaluta assisted by Lee Moyer.
Don%27t_Answer_Me_-_The_Alan_Parsons_Project.jpeg

Instead of the art rock and progressive rock sounds for which Alan Parsons was well-known, Parsons crafted "Don't Answer Me" in the style of Phil Spector and his Wall of Sound technique. Eric Woolfson, the co-writer, handled lead vocals on the single, with Mel Collins providing a saxophone solo with a "soothing yet destitute wail".
The music video was filmed at the Broadcast Arts animation studio, with Kaluta acting as lead designer and animator from a script by D.J. Webster. The video took 23 days to film, using a 40-man animation team, and combined traditional cel animation (in the rendering of the figures), stop-motion animation (for the majority of the movements), and even claymation. The final cost topped $50,000.
The video is presented as a story in the fictional comic book series, The Adventures of Nick and Sugar, set in 1930s Florida. The story starts at the Flamingo Bar, where Sugar is on a date with the thuggish "Muscles" Malone. Sugar was once Nick's girl, and Nick drinks heavily (emptying a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red) as he watches Malone manhandle Sugar. After finishing the bottle, Nick leaves the bar and drives to the Burgers'N'Shakes drive-in, passing a billboard with the Ammonia Avenue album cover displayed. While admitting his heartbreak to Leslie, the carhop, a black sedan carrying Malone and Sugar pulls up next to Nick's convertible.
artworks-000149284701-zf47b7-t500x500.jpg

When Sugar resists Malone's demand for a kiss, Malone moves to slap Sugar. An enraged Nick pulls Malone from his car and starts brawling with the much-larger thug. Malone appears to have beaten Nick, but Nick summons one last powerful uppercut and knocks Malone clear off the planet, sending him into the left eye of the Man in the Moon. Nick and Sugar embrace, deeply in love; as they embrace, the view quickly cuts to a still picture drawing of the band featuring Woolfson and Parsons at keyboards, dressed in 1930s cocktail lounge outfits, performing the song. Nick and Sugar drive away together, with Nick pausing to wipe Malone out of the Man in the Moon's eye with his handkerchief.
giphy-1.gif

The video was nominated for Best Experimental Video at the first-ever 1984 MTV Video Music Awards, but lost to Herbie Hancock's "Rockit".
The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Answer Me

Parsons and his "Alan Parsons Live Project" band perform the song in concert, with live versions released on the albums Alan Parsons Live with Gary Howard and Chris Thompson on vocals, Eye 2 Eye: Live In Madrid, and Alan Parsons Symphonic Project, Live in Colombia, the latter two with Parsons on lead vocals.

alan-parson-project-dont-answer-me.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yvonne Marianne Elliman (born December 29, 1951) is an American singer, songwriter, and actress who performed for four years in the first cast of the stage musical Jesus Christ Superstar. She scored a number of hits in the 1970s and achieved a US #1 hit with "If I Can't Have You"; the song was also #9 on the Adult Contemporary chart. Her cover of Barbara Lewis's "Hello Stranger" went to #1 on Adult Contemporary chart, and "Love Me" was also #5, giving her 3 top 10 singles. After a long hiatus in the 1980s and 1990s, during which time she dedicated herself to her family, she made a comeback album as a singer-songwriter in 2004.
R-2773561-1334924711.jpeg.jpg

Elliman was born and raised in the Manoa neighborhood of Honolulu, Hawaii; her mother was of Japanese ancestry and the background of her father—a salesman for Best Foods—was Irish. Elliman was musical from an early age, playing the ukulele by age four and taking piano lessons at age seven. While attending President Theodore Roosevelt High School, Elliman performed in the school band on standup bass and violin. However, Elliman became most proficient on the guitar, and performed as a singer and guitarist in a folk music group named We Folk formed with some schoolmates. The group fared well in local talent shows. According to Elliman, she was truant during her senior year at Roosevelt but graduated owing to the intervention of the school's British-born band teacher, who persuaded Elliman's teachers to pass her, and encouraged Elliman herself, then 17, to relocate to London to pursue a musical career, which she did shortly after graduating.
Elliman's singing career began in 1969 in London, where she performed at various bars and clubs. At the time she did not like what she was singing. "I hated the music then," she recalled in a 1973 interview, adding "I did it for the bread. I was into drugs and all that, and thought Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane was it." While still an unknown, she was discovered by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, who asked her to sing Mary Magdalene's part for the original audio recording of Jesus Christ Superstar featuring Ian Gillan singing as Jesus. After its release as an album in 1970, they invited her to join the stage show's traveling cast, which she did for four years.
She had her first Billboard Hot 100 hit single in 1971 with the ballad "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar. Her original version was not issued as a single until a cover version by Helen Reddy started moving up the U.S. charts; appearing concurrently on the charts (a rare event, not common since the 1950s, when different releases played in different parts of the country), Elliman's original peaked at #28, while Reddy's cover peaked at #13. In the end, Elliman performed on the 1970 concept album, in the original Broadway cast (1971), and in the 1973 film.[ She and Barry Dennen were alone among the cast to have performed on the original record, original Broadway production and the film, for which her screen performance as Mary Magdalene led to a 1974 Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.
In 1971, Elliman moved to New York City for the Broadway production of Jesus Christ, Superstar, where she met her first husband, Bill Oakes, who was President of Robert Stigwood's RSO Records. Before that she was signed to Purple Records, singing on Jon Lord's album Gemini Suite in 1971 and releasing her second solo album Food of Love in 1973. She was asked to sing backing vocals on Eric Clapton's version of the Bob Marley song "I Shot the Sheriff" in 1974. She then went on tour as part of Clapton's band, and soon afterwards got her own recording contract with RSO Records.
She would continue to work with Clapton, performing on his albums from 1974 to 1977, including 461 Ocean Boulevard, There's One in Every Crowd, E. C. Was Here, No Reason to Cry, and Slowhand. A first album for the RSO label (her third in all), Rising Sun, produced by Steve Cropper, produced no hit singles, but her next album, Love Me, produced by Freddie Perren, gave her two top-20 hits, "Love Me" (written by Barry and Robin Gibb), and a Barbara Lewis cover, "Hello Stranger". "Hello Stranger" topped the U.S. Adult Contemporary charts for four weeks, and was also a #15 Pop hit in 1977, while "Love Me" was a #14 Pop hit in late 1976/early 1977. She appeared in Hawaii Five-O in 1978.
Also in 1977, the Bee Gees were working on Saturday Night Fever and wrote "How Deep Is Your Love" for her, but Stigwood wanted the Bee Gees to perform it. Instead, she sang "If I Can't Have You". The song was a hit, rising to number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100; it is generally considered the high point of her recording career.
Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
A few minor Top 40 hits followed in 1979, including the title theme song from the film Moment by Moment and another disco track, "Love Pains", which was a major club success. She appeared in a two-part episode of the television action series Hawaii Five-O during this period as an aspiring singer, performing the song "I Can't Get You Outa my Mind" with co-star James Darren. The single "Savannah" was also a minor hit. Shortly thereafter she decided to dedicate herself to her two children.

Singer Yvonne Elliman and Husband Busted for Drugs in Guam
August 25, 2017
YvonneElliman_court.jpg

Yvonne Elliman-Alexander in court in Guam. The 65-year-old singer required a cane.
636384449915752986-Yvonne-Elliman-005.jpg

Guam has been in the news lately as a possible site for a North Korea attack. It's also where "If I Can't Have You" singer Yvonne Elliman-Alexander and her husband Allen Alexander were arrested for drug possession on Aug. 16.
dr_YvoneeElliman_mug_w280_h293.jpg

The couple was apprehended at Guam Customs upon arriving in the country to perform a benefit concert for a school. A drug dog alerted officials to their bags; three grams of marijuana were found in Allen's and an eight-ounce of meth and a pipe in Yvonne's.
Both were charged with one count of possession of a Schedule II controlled substance. Yvonne received a first-degree felony change as well. She was released on a $10,000 bond while her husband remained in jail. They surrender their passports and can't leave the country until the matter is resolved. The couple had previously performed at two other school benefits on the South Pacific island.
636387856186353007-Yvonne-Elliman-Concert-20.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Legs & Co. were a dance troupe created in 1976 for the BBC's weekly Top of the Pops programme. They had made over three hundred appearances on this show by the time of their last performance in 1981. The group then continued for four further years on tour. The six-girl dance troupe replaced Ruby Flipper on Top of the Pops, representing a reversion to the earlier all-female format for troupes on this show, and covering the time period when the disco, punk and new wave music fashions were at their chart peak.
Legs & Co - Ai No Corrida

Ruby Flipper: Play That Funky Music / Wild Cherry (TOTP, 14 October 1976)
Legs & Co. were the fourth dance troupe to perform on the BBC's Top of The Pops. The tenure of the first group, the Go-Jos, ran from 1964 to 1968, with Pan's People then taking over until April 1976. This group were choreographed for their entire existence by Flick Colby, who was also initially a dancer in the troupe. Ruth Pearson performed as one of the dancers in this group throughout its run on the programme, retiring when the group was replaced.

Van McCoy & Pan's People » Do the Hustle (1975)

FlickColby1966.jpg

Flick Colby (1966)​

Felicity Isabelle "Flick" Colby (March 23, 1946 – May 26, 2011) was an American dancer and choreographer best known for being a founding member and the choreographer of the United Kingdom dance troupe Pan's People, which was a fixture on the BBC 1 chart show Top of the Pops from 1968 to 1976. Colby became the full-time dance choreographer for the Top of the Pops dance troupes Pan's People, Ruby Flipper, Legs & Co., and Zoo (credited as "Dance Director"), from 1972 until 1983.

1024px-BeatGirls1966.jpg

September 1966: Beat Girls picture showing original Pan's People dancers; from left, Dee Dee Wilde, Lorelly Harris, Babs Lord, Flick Colby and Penny Fergusson.

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/249805/What-a-pan-tastic-time
What a pan-tastic time!
THE year was 1974. Thursday night and, as every week, nearly half the country was glued to the television set, for this was the heyday of Top Of The Pops, a programme that in its prime had 20 million viewers.

And they weren’t all teenagers, either, for there came a moment, as on this Thursday night, when their fathers looked furtively over the edge of their newspaper to appreciate what was happening on screen: namely, when Pan’s People appeared, the sauciest, slinkiest girl dance troupe ever to make it on to TV. On this occasion, they didn’t disappoint: dressed in hot pants that barely skimmed their behinds, they waggled provocatively to the tune of You Little Trustmaker by The Tymes. Pippa Middleton, eat your heart out. This was a whole company-full of perfect rears.
Which makes it all the more melancholy to report that one of them, Flick Colby, has just died at the age of 65. She had been living in the United States where she ran a gift shop in Clinton, New York, with her husband George. Flick had been suffering from cancer and when George died earlier this year, she never recovered and succumbed to bronchial pneumonia last Thursday. But to a generation of a certain age, the idea that Flick could be in her 60s, let alone suffering from a serious illness, seems almost inconceivable, because for a time, Pan’s People weren’t just the hottest thing on TV: they were a sensation throughout the country.
Denounced by Mary Whitehouse for their raunchy outfits, they exuded glamour, fun and an early form of bootyliciousness that paved the way for even greater sensationalists like Legs & Co and Hot Gossip. And yet despite all that, there was a sort of innocence attached to Pan’s People compared to what their successors get up to today. Even when Ronnie Barker’s character Fletcher, in an episode of Porridge, fantasised about an ideal evening, it was cheeky rather than lewd: “We could ring up those girls on Top Of The Pops. Pan’s People. There’s one special one... beautiful Babs... dunno what her name is.” He was referring to Babs Lord, of course, probably the fathers’ favourite, who not only boasted the requisite long legs but a generous embonpoint too.
Pan’s People originally formed in 1966. They were not the first all-girl dance group to appear on Top Of The Pops – the Go-Jos got there first – but they were the first to appear weekly. Babs Lord, Ruth Pearson and Dee Dee Wilde met when they worked as “Beat Girls” on the BBC’s The Beat Room, a precursor of TOTP. They met Felicity “Flick” Colby, a choreographer as well as a dancer, who then joined them, and finally Louise Clarke and Andi Rutherford came on board to complete the original line-up, all professionally trained dancers. “I can still remember the night it all began,” Dee Dee was later to recall.
“Babs, Flick Colby and I were sitting around with a bottle of wine in a dingy flat trying to name our new dance group. My suggestion of Dionysus’s Darlings didn’t go down well. It was Flick who came up with Pan’s People. Pan is the Greek god of dance, music and debauchery. The irony is, when we first started out we earned so little we lived on a diet of chips and mayonnaise.” They made their first appearance on TOTP in April 1968, dancing to Tommy James and the Shondells’ Mony Mony.

INITIALLY, the BBC wasn’t sure what to do with its melodic maidens but the mandarins on high began to realise that when they appeared, ratings went through the roof. They also, in those days before the music video existed, were very useful. When acts couldn’t appear – often Americans unwilling to shell out for a trip across the Atlantic – the girls could dance to whatever number it was that was climbing the charts. The girls, who became close friends, remember the days as halcyon times.
“Our dancing was very innovative, rather raunchy and way before its time,” said Dee Dee. “It certainly had a sexual connotation but we were also quite innocent. We weren’t aware of what impact we had on the male population. I certainly don’t remember being chatted up by a lot of the pop stars on the show but I do remember that if you were lucky enough to have a BBC Club card you could go to the BBC bar after filming and there you’d be hobnobbing with some of the great groups of the moment. It was really a wonderful time.”
In fact, men tended to be nervous of approaching the girls en masse, although they were considered to be the major sex symbols of the day and were individually very sought after. Nor were they paid particularly well but they made far more by touring the country and appearing on innumerable other shows including The Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise. They also performed for the armed forces. In 1971, Flick left the dancing line-up to concentrate on choreography. Pan’s People were often teased about the literalness with which they danced – to Elton John’s Crocodile Rock, they did, indeed, dance with a toy crocodile – but there often wasn’t time to come up with much.
pans-people-troupe-1280x873.jpg

nnn5w0y.gif
Their number would be picked the previous Friday but by the following Tuesday, when the show’s line-up was finalised, that song might have gone down the charts and a new one nominated for the show. And so Flick would have less than 48 hours to choreograph and rehearse the girls. In today’s terms, production could be a bit shambolic, too: in one number, Ruth remembered not being able to see in the middle of all the dry ice and wondered what she was stepping on. It turned out to be Babs. The line-up began to change and by the group’s final performance in April 1976, dancing to the Four Seasons’ Silver Star, only Ruth was left of the originals.
But that certainly wasn’t the end of all girl troupes. For a start, Pan’s People continued with a brand new line-up including Sarah Brightman. Meanwhile, on TOTP itself, the shortlived mixed sex group Ruby Flipper was soon replaced by Legs & Co, managed by Flick, an all-women group again. The style was changing, not least because music was too. The new trend, punk, was throwing up bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash, neither of which would appear on TOTP at the time; Legs & Co scandalised a nation when they danced to the former’s Pretty Vacant.
Though the dancing continued until 1985, the introduction of the pop video at the start of the decade was the beginning of the end. Not before the naughtiest of the lot had their time in the spotlight though – Hot Gossip, coached and choreographed by Arlene Phillips. Initially performing in London nightclubs, Hot Gossip’s breakthrough came when they were booked for The Kenny Everett Show, where they made a massive impression – Everett referred to their appearances as “The Naughty Bits”.
Mary Whitehouse inevitably complained and the troupe’s profile rocketed still higher. As the brash Eighties rolled on, their costumes – bras, knickers and suspenders for the girls, studded jock straps for the boys – became ever more shocking, although Arlene later said that she chose them simply because they were cheaper than bigger costumes. They finally disbanded in 1986 but are still fondly remembered. By the dads mostly.

12bacdc7d3f6163545b0295f5928d7eb.jpg

Hot Gossip

Sarah Brightman (born 14 August 1960) is a British classical crossover soprano, singer, songwriter, actress, dancer and musician.
Brightman began her career as a member of the dance troupe Hot Gossip and released several disco singles as a solo performer. In 1981, she made her West End musical theatre debut in Cats and met composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, whom she later married. She went on to star in several West End and Broadway musicals, including The Phantom of the Opera, where she originated the role of Christine Daaé. Her original London cast album of Phantom was released in CD format in 1987 and sold 40 million copies worldwide, making it the biggest-selling cast album ever.
After retiring from the stage and divorcing Lloyd Webber, Brightman resumed her music career with former Enigma producer Frank Peterson, this time as a classical crossover artist. She has been credited as the creator and remains among the most prominent performers of this genre, with worldwide sales of more than 35 million albums and two million DVDs, establishing herself as the world's best-selling soprano.
Brightman's 1996 duet with the Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli, "Time to Say Goodbye", topped the charts all over Europe and became the highest and fastest-selling single of all-time in Germany, where it stayed at the top of the charts for 14 consecutive weeks and sold over three million copies. It subsequently became an international success, selling 12 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling singles of all-time. She has collected over 200 gold and platinum record awards in 38 different countries. In 2010, she was named by Billboard the fifth most influential and best-selling classical artist of the 2000s decade in the US and according to Nielsen SoundScan, she has sold 6.5 million albums in the country.
Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman - Time To Say Goodbye
Brightman is the first artist to have been invited twice to perform the theme song at the Olympic Games, first at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games where she sang "Amigos Para Siempre" with the Spanish tenor José Carreras with an estimated global audience of a billion people, and 16 years later in 2008 in Beijing, this time with Chinese singer Liu Huan, performing the song "You and Me" to an estimated four billion people worldwide.
In 2012, Brightman was appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace for the period 2012–2014, for her "commitment to humanitarian and charitable causes, her contribution, throughout her artistic career, to the promotion of cultural dialogue and the exchanges among cultures, and her dedication to the ideals and aims of the Organization". Since 2010, Brightman has been Panasonic's global brand ambassador.
In 2014, she began training for a journey to the International Space Station, later postponed until further notice, citing personal reasons. Brightman was awarded the decoration 'Cavaliere' in the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic on 2 June 2016 and an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Hertfordshire in 2018, in recognition of her outstanding contributions to music and theater.

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rindy-Ross-Quarterflash-American-Bandstand-591x400.jpg

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO QUARTERFLASH?
A beautiful brunette pint-sized singer with vocals that rivaled Pat Benatar, Rindy Ross became a early 80s rock icon with her band, Quarterflash. Teamed with her husband on lead guitar, Rindy not only sang lead vocals, she also played killer saxophone on some of the most memorable hits of the decade. Rindy and Mars Ross were both new teachers (5th grade for Rindy and Junior High for Marv) who shared a love of music. While playing weekend gigs with their dance band, Seafood Mama, they stumbled onto a regional hit with “Harden My Heart”. Before you knew it, the teaching career went on hiatus and a major label scooped up the Portland, Oregon band, rechristened them Quarterflash and off to the races they went. “Harden My Heart” went onto heavy rotation and was riding the Top 10 on the Billboard Singles Chart. Tours with the like of Elton John and Linda Ronstadt, appearances on Solid Gold and American Bandstand with Dick Clark, movie soundtracks (Night Shift and Fast Times At Ridgemont High), Quarterflash was a force in the early 80s.

Seafood Mama in Concert! (KOIN TV Encore Presentation 1980) Rindy Ross - Quarterflash

Quarterflash kept up the momentum with the kiss-off track, “Find Another Fool (To Love You)” that went Top 20. Their sophomore album, “Take Another Picture” featured the smash hit, “Take Me To Heart” but the follow-up single “Take Another Picture” crashed. Their 3rd album, “Back Into Blue” barely dented the album charts and poof! Quarterflash disappeared into the night.

It’s been over thirty years since Quarterflash had a hit song but I’m happy to report that the band is still together and even more impressed that Rindy and Marv are still happily married. Their hair may be gray now but they still share their passion for music and continue to perform live gigs near Portland. Quarterflash still exists but lately it’s been Rindy and Marv performing more intimate acoustic shows these days. You don’t get more Portland than this: the official Quarterflash website promoted an concert in late July this year where fans were encouraged to gift a donation ($15), share in a potluck dinner, and bring your own beverages. Long live rock and roll and thank you Rindy and Marv for showing us that long lasting marriages in the rock and roll world still exist!

http://mikesdailyjukebox.com/whatever-happened-to-quarterflash/

QUARTERFLASH - Harden My Heart (Live)

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Disco Inferno" is a song by American disco band The Trammps from their 1976 fourth studio album of the same name.
1280px-The_trammps-1554472728.jpg

The Trammps

With two other cuts by the group it reached number-one on the US Billboard Dance Club Songs chart in early 1977, but had limited mainstream success until 1978, after being included on the soundtrack to the 1977 film Saturday Night Fever, when a re-release hit number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The Tramps -- Disco Inferno
It was also notably covered in 1993 by American-born singer Tina Turner on the What's Love Got to Do with It soundtrack,[3] and in 1998 by American singer-songwriter Cyndi Lauper on the A Night at the Roxbury soundtrack.
It was also notably covered in 1993 by American-born singer Tina Turner on the What's Love Got to Do with It soundtrack, and in 1998 by American singer-songwriter Cyndi Lauper on the A Night at the Roxbury soundtrack
The song was originally recorded by The Trammps in 1976 and released as a single. It was supposedly inspired by a scene in the 1974 blockbuster film The Towering Inferno. According to Tom Moulton, who mixed the record, the Dolby noise reduction had been set incorrectly during the mixdown of the tracks. When engineer Jay Mark discovered the error and corrected it, the mix had a much wider dynamic range than was common at the time. Due to this, the record seems to "jump out" at the listener. With "Starvin'" and "Body Contact Contract", it topped the U.S. Disco chart for six weeks in the late winter of 1977. On the other U.S. charts, "Disco Inferno" hit number nine on the Black Singles chart, but it was not initially a significant success at pop radio, peaking at number 53 on the Billboard Hot 100.
"Disco Inferno" gained much greater recognition when the 10:54-minute album version was included on the soundtrack to the 1977 film Saturday Night Fever. Re-released by Atlantic Records, the track peaked at number 11 in the U.S. during the spring of 1978, becoming The Trammps' biggest and most-recognized single. Later, it was included in the Saturday Night Fever musical, interpreted by 'DJ Monty' in the "Odissey 2001" discothèque. A cover version of the track was issued by the group Players Association in March, 1978 on the Vanguard record label both in 7" and 12" format. It was produced by Danny Weiss and also issued as a track on their 1979 LP Born to Dance.
On September 19, 2005, "Disco Inferno" was inducted into the Dance Music Hall of Fame.

Disco Inferno
The Trammps

To my surprise, one hundred stories high
People getting loose y'all, getting down on the roof
Folks are screaming, out of control
It was so entertaining when the boogie started to explode
I heard somebody say
disco inferno
(Burn baby burn) burn that mother down
(Burn baby burn) disco inferno
Satisfaction came in a chain reaction
(Burnin')
I couldn't get enough, so I had to self-destruct
The heat was on, rising to the top
Everybody going strong, and that is when my spark got hot
I heard somebody say
disco inferno
(Burn baby burn) burn that mother down y'all
(Burn baby burn) disco inferno
Up above my head
I hear music in the air
That makes me know
There's a party somewhere
Satisfaction…

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"We May Never Love Like This Again" is a song written by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn for the 1974 film, The Towering Inferno. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1974, and was performed by Maureen McGovern both for the film score and, briefly, in the film itself with McGovern portraying a singer. McGovern had performed a cover version of Kasha and Hirschhorn's song "The Morning After", which also won the Academy Award for Best Original Song two years earlier.
Towering-Inferno-1080x675.jpg

The film is a co-production between 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros., the first to be a joint venture by two major Hollywood studios.

Maureen McGovern - The Morning After

Her recording of "We May Never Love Like This Again" was issued as a single with McGovern's rendition of "Wherever Love Takes Me", a song from the movie Gold which would compete with "We May Never Love Like This Again" for the Best Song Oscar, serving as B-side. "We May Never Love Like This Again" reached #83 on the Hot 100 in Billboard: the single afforded McGovern a major hit in Australia (#5). Due to her associations with two Oscar-winning songs McGovern recorded Academy Award Performance: And The Envelope, Please an album comprising Oscar-winning songs featuring "The Morning After" and "We May Never Love Like This Again".
Maureen McGovern - We May Never Love Like This Again

Hollywood composer John Williams wrote the original music score for the film, and interpolated the tune of the song into the underscore of the movie. The actual 1974 song recording for the album (subsequently released as a single) was produced by Carl Maduri for Belkin-Maduri Productions. It was arranged by Joe Hudson and was engineered by Arnie Rosenberg.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Space Age Love Song" is a 1982 single released by the British band A Flock of Seagulls. It was their fourth single. Lead guitarist Paul Reynolds remarked on their 1984 video album "Through the Looking Glass" that, as the band couldn't come up with a title for the track, he suggested "Space Age Love Song" because he thought it sounded like a space age love song.

MV5BZWM3M2YwMGItMDVlZC00YjJjLWJiNTEtYWVlYjJjNDdkMDI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,984,1000_AL_.jpg

In 2018, a re-recorded version of the song, featuring the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, was released as a 5-track and 8-track special edition EP. It is the first single featured on the band's sixth album, Ascension.
A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song (With the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra)
"Space Age Love Song" peaked at No. 30 in the US Billboard Chart, No. 31 in New Zealand, No. 34 in the UK Singles Chart and No. 68 in Australia.
Space Age Love Song

Space Age Love Song" was also featured in the 1991 film Career Opportunities, which starred Frank Whaley and Jennifer Connelly.

Jennifer Lynn Connelly (born December 12, 1970) is an American actress who began her career as a child model. She appeared in magazine, newspaper and television advertising, before she made her film acting debut in the crime film Once Upon a Time in America (1984). Connelly continued modeling and acting, starring in a number of films, including the horror film Phenomena (1985), the musical fantasy film Labyrinth (1986), the romantic comedy Career Opportunities (1991), and the period superhero film The Rocketeer (1991). She gained critical acclaim for her work in the science fiction film Dark City (1998) and for playing a drug addict in Darren Aronofsky's drama Requiem for a Dream (2000).
In 2002, Connelly won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for portraying Alicia Nash in Ron Howard's biopic A Beautiful Mind (2001).

Her subsequent credits include the Marvel superhero film Hulk (2003), in which she played Bruce Banner's love interest Betty Ross, the horror film Dark Water (2005), the drama Blood Diamond (2006), the science fiction film The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008), the romantic comedy He's Just Not That Into You (2009), and the biopic Creation (2009). In the 2010s, she took on supporting roles in Aronofsky's epic film Noah (2014) and in the action film Alita: Battle Angel (2019).
In 2020, she took on the lead role in the TNT dystopian television series Snowpiercer.
Connelly was named Amnesty International Ambassador for Human Rights Education in 2005. She has been the face of Balenciaga fashion advertisements, as well as for Revlon cosmetics. In 2012, she was named the first global face of the Shiseido Company. Magazines, including Time, Vanity Fair and Esquire, as well as the Los Angeles Times newspaper, have included her on their lists of the world's most beautiful women.

Personal life
While filming The Rocketeer, Connelly began a romance with co-star Billy Campbell, which lasted for five years before they broke up in 1996. Connelly then had a relationship with photographer David Dugan, with whom she has a son, Kai (b. 1997).
On January 1, 2003, in a private family ceremony in Scotland, she married actor Paul Bettany, whom she had met while working on A Beautiful Mind. The couple have two children, a son, Stellan, and a daughter, Agnes. After having lived together in Tribeca, she and Bettany moved to Brooklyn Heights.
maxresdefault.jpg

Jennifer Connelly - From 10 to 47 Years Old

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Can Dream About You" is a song performed by American singer Dan Hartman on the soundtrack album of the film Streets of Fire. Released in 1984 as a single from the soundtrack, and included on Hartman's album I Can Dream About You, it reached number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The song first appeared in Streets of Fire, where it was performed by the fictional group The Sorels. The real voice behind the version used in the film was Winston Ford, but Hartman's version was the one used on the soundtrack album and released as a single. In a Songfacts interview with the film's musical director, Kenny Vance, he recalled "The same guy that sings lead on that and "Countdown to Love," a song that I wrote for the film, was a guy working at a Radio Shack (Winston Ford), and I think when you look at the film and The Sorels are singing it live in the movie, that was the version that was supposed to come out, and I recorded that version. But then when Dan Hartman heard it, I don't know what happened next, but I know that he took that guy's voice off and he put his own on, and he had a hit with it. Hollywood is a very slippery place."
Originally, producer Jimmy Iovine had asked Hartman to write a song for a film he was working on. Hartman was told that the song was going to be sung by four black guys in a concert situation within the film, and Hartman ended up thinking about a demo he made of "I Can Dream About You." Hartman then went through some legal maneuvering to get the benefit of his breakthrough. The use of the song in the film being performed by actors did not feature Hartman on vocals but a studio singer. After some contract negotiating, Hartman insisted he sing the song on the soundtrack, and that his version be released if a single were to be issued from the soundtrack album. Additionally, any music video had to feature his own voice using the song. These clauses helped Hartman become an "overnight sensation." Both Hartman and Iovine worked on his 1984, same-titled solo album I Can Dream About You, following the song's use in the film. The album would spawn two other Top 40 charting singles on the US Billboard Hot 100 – "We Are the Young" and "Second Nature".
According to Daryl Hall, Hartman had initially written the song with Hall & Oates in mind, and offered the song to them to record as their own. Hall & Oates declined, as their new album was about to be released. Later in their career, however, they issued an album of covers called Our Kind of Soul, in 2004, on which they recorded their own version (with changed lyrics) of Hartman's song. When performing the song live in February 2005, Hall revealed before the performance; "Here's a song that we did on the new album that we sort of did twenty years late. An old friend of ours, Dan Hartman, wrote this song. I remember back in the day he came up to me and said 'You know, I have this great song I wrote for you guys. It's you, you know? – you have to sing this song.' And unfortunately we had just finished an album, we couldn't put it on the album so I said sorry Dan. About six months later I was watching MTV and there it was, and it was a hit for him, God bless him. So here we are twenty years later, I hope he's hearing it, and I hope he enjoys it.
I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU - Hall & Oates
Music videos
Two music videos accompanied the song. One does not feature Hartman and consists of scenes from Streets of Fire, intercut with footage of the Sorels miming the song as part of a live performance. The lead singer was played by Stoney Jackson, with Grand L. Bush, Mykelti Williamson, and Robert Townsend as backing singers. In the second video, filmed at the Hard Rock in London, Hartman appears as a bartender trying to charm a young woman (played by Joyce Hyser), singing to her as the Sorels' performance plays on a TV set hanging above the bar. In a 2010 interview with Hyser for the blog Old School: Back to the 80s, she was asked how she came to feature in the video. She replied, "I knew Dan's manager and he asked me if I would do it. We shot at the Hard Rock in London. I honestly remember very little about it, but Dan was very nice and I absolutely love that song."
While recording a mimed TV performance of the song, Hartman explained why one music video featured actors: "The producers and directors of Streets of Fire wanted the best of everything, so they hired the best singers, the best dancers and best actors to play the parts in the film. So the singers in "I Can Dream About You" who are the Sorels are actually actors, and I wrote and sang this song."

Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Terri Kathleen Nunn (born June 26, 1961) is an American singer and actress. She is best known as the vocalist for the new wave/synthpop band she fronts, Berlin, and is also known by that band name.
Nunn was born in Los Angeles, California. Her father Larry Nunn (1925–1974) was a painter and a former contract child actor for MGM (Men of Boys Town, The Major and the Minor). He was an alcoholic and died from suicide when she was 13 years old.
In 1976, Nunn auditioned for the role of Princess Leia in Star Wars, but the role went to Carrie Fisher.
In 1977, she posed, under the name Betsy Harris, for nude photos for the February issue of Penthouse. For many years, Nunn denied that the photos were of her, because when they were taken she was only sixteen and still legally a minor.
terri-nunn-nude-in-penthouse-magazine.jpg

Terry Nunn caused some controversy by posing for Penthouse Magazine under an assumed name in 1977

She joined Berlin in 1978 and temporarily left the group the following year to pursue an acting career. Nunn acted in numerous television shows in the 1970s and 1980s, including T.J. Hooker, Lou Grant and James at 15.
In 1981, she rejoined Berlin as the lead vocalist and soon forged her recording career in the band. Her greatest success in Berlin was the top-selling 1986 single "Take My Breath Away", the theme song for the film Top Gun. It reached the no. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. She sang other popular songs with Berlin, including "Sex (I'm A...)", "The Metro", "You Don't Know", "No More Words" and "Masquerade".

Berlin - No More Words
In 1985, Nunn briefly dated Michael Hutchence, whom she met at an INXS concert in London while Berlin were recording the album Count Three & Pray. The relationship ended when INXS returned to Australia.
Nunn is married to attorney Paul Spear. She has one daughter and two stepsons. The family has lived in Santa Rosa Valley, California since 2012. Pamela Moore, also a singer, is Nunn's cousin.
Nunn is a vegan, formerly a vegetarian, since the age of 19.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Susanna Lee Hoffs (born January 17, 1959) is an American vocalist, guitarist, actress, and songwriter. She is best known as a co-founder of the Bangles.
aQdP0dW_460s.jpg

Hoffs was born in Los Angeles, California, to a Jewish family. She is the daughter of film director/writer/producer Tamar Ruth (née Simon) and Joshua Allen Hoffs, a psychoanalyst. Her mother played Beatles music for Hoffs when she was a child, and she began playing the guitar in her teens. Hoffs attended Palisades High School in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, graduating in 1976. While in college, she worked as a production assistant and made her acting debut in the 1978 film Stony Island.
In 1980, Hoffs graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a bachelor's degree in art. When she entered college, she was a fan of classic rock bands that played in large stadiums, and while a student, she attended the final Sex Pistols show at Winterland Ballroom and a Patti Smith concert. Exposure to punk rock changed her career goal from a dancer to musician in a band
Inspired by The Ramones and other punk bands, Hoffs founded the Bangs with Debbi and Vicki Peterson. After recording their first album, the night before it was pressed, they learned of a legal claim by an East Coast boy band, called "The Bangs", requiring a sudden change of name, so the "Bangs" morphed into the "Bangles"

The Bangles' first recorded release was a self-titled EP in 1982 on the Faulty Products Label (which lived up to its name by folding during the first promotional tour). The Bangles released their first full album All Over the Place in 1984 on Columbia Records. They had a moderate hit with the single "Hero Takes a Fall", but their commercial breakthrough came with the album Different Light in 1986, which produced the hit singles "Manic Monday" (which Prince had written for the Bangles), "If She Knew What She Wants", and "Walk Like an Egyptian".

In 1986, Hoffs co-wrote "I Need a Disguise" for the album Belinda for Belinda Carlisle, from the all-girl group The Go-Go's. With increasing fame, Hoffs also appeared on the covers of numerous magazines, and the Rickenbacker guitar company issued a Susanna Hoffs model of the 350, which she customized herself.

In 1987, Hoffs starred in the film The Allnighter, which was directed by her mother Tamar Simon Hoffs, and also featured Joan Cusack and Pam Grier. The film was critically panned and failed at the box office. Hoffs later said: "It wasn't a great movie but the whole experience of it was great."

In 1988, The Bangles released their third album, Everything. The first single, co-written by Hoffs, "In Your Room" became a top 10 hit. Everything also produced their biggest-selling single "Eternal Flame", which was also co-written and sung by Hoffs.

In the BBC programme I'm in a Girl Group, Hoffs revealed she actually sang the studio recording of "Eternal Flame" completely naked due to producer Davitt Sigerson pranking her by telling her Olivia Newton John had done the same thing. He later told Hoffs he had been lying.
In 1989, The Bangles formally disbanded. In the late 1990s, however, Hoffs contacted the other members of The Bangles with the hope of reuniting. They recorded the single "Get the Girl" for the second Austin Powers movie in 1999. Subsequently, they announced their decision to reunite full-time in 2000. Their fourth album, Doll Revolution, was released in 2003.
5PVCUBdI-q2jSDOT3QZC5pDRQgyUOuQID3_SyjzGYC0.jpg

Hoffs recorded another album in 1993-94, prior to leaving Columbia Records, but it went unreleased. In 1996, Hoffs released her second solo album, Susanna Hoffs. Although it received much praise in the media and yielded a minor US hit and a UK hit at #33 for 2 weeks with a cover of the Lightning Seeds single "All I Want", it was not a commercial success.
Hoffs recorded a cover of "The Look of Love" for the soundtrack of the first Austin Powers movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery and a cover of the song "Alfie" for the soundtrack of the third Austin Powers in Goldmember.

She recorded a cover of the Oingo Boingo song "We Close Our Eyes" for the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack. She is also responsible for the song "Now and Then", from the 1995 film of the same name.
Hoffs also contributed a song to the film Red Roses and Petrol (written and directed by Tamar Simon Hoffs) entitled "The Water is Wide."
Hoffs is a vegetarian.
In 1993, Hoffs married Jay Roach, who later directed the Austin Powers trilogy, Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers. They have two sons. Roach converted to Judaism upon marrying her.
Jay+Roach+Susanna+Hoffs+69th+Annual+Directors+favOUH81QU1l.jpg

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Manic Monday" is a song by the American pop rock band the Bangles, and the first single released from their second studio album, Different Light (1986). It was written by American musician Prince using the pseudonym "Christopher" and was originally intended for the group Apollonia 6 in 1984. Lyrically, it describes a woman who is waking up to go to work on Monday, wishing it was still Sunday so she could continue relaxing.
The single, released by Columbia Records on Monday January 27, 1986, received generally positive reviews from music critics and some comparisons with the Mamas & the Papas' "Monday, Monday". It became the Bangles' first hit, reaching number two in the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as in Austria, Canada, Germany and Ireland, and peaked within the top five in Australia, New Zealand, Norway and Switzerland. It was later certified silver in the UK by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).
Prince wrote "Manic Monday" in 1984, and recorded it as a duet for the band Apollonia 6's self-titled album; however, he eventually pulled the song. Two years later, he offered the single to the Bangles under the pseudonym "Christopher", a character he played in the 1986 film Under the Cherry Moon. It was rumored by various writers that after Prince listened to the band's 1984 debut album All Over the Place, he gave the song to Bangles rhythm guitarist Susanna Hoffs, so that in return she would sleep with him. Prince's original demo recording of the song would not be released until it appeared on the 2019 demo compilation Originals.

120821-prince.jpg

Prince is notorious for his many "protégés," as you'll soon see. Hoffs and the Bangles benefited from her romance with the Purple Rain singer as Prince penned the hit "Manic Monday" specifically for the band. Like all of Prince's flings, however, it didn't last long.

Susanna Hoffs on "Manic Monday"
"When I first heard that 'oh whoa' melody I thought of the Velvet Underground. Then when I heard the title I thought of Jimi Hendrix [who sang 'Manic Depression']. But then with the Monday part & the harmonies I thought of the Mamas & the Papas. It has a lot of the elements of emotion & style that [the Bangles] connect to. And [young people] really pick-up on the nursery rhyme appeal[:] like 'Sally Go 'Round the Roses', [there's] a nice simplicity to it.

In an interview with MTV UK in 1989 Debbi Peterson explained why Prince gave them the song: "Prince really liked our first album. He liked the song 'Hero Takes a Fall', which is a great compliment, because we liked his music. He contacted us, and said, 'I've got a couple of songs for you. I'd like to know if you're interested,' and of course we were. One of the songs Prince brought to the group was 'Manic Monday', written under the pseudonym of Christopher." Peterson talked about the evolution of what Prince brought them: "It was a Banglefication of a Prince arrangement. He had a demo, that was very specifically him. It was a good song, but we didn't record it like 'This is our first hit single! Oh my God! I can feel it in my veins!' We just did the song, and the album, and then sat back and thought about it."
A pop song written in D major, "Manic Monday" moves at a tempo of 116 beats per minute and is set in common time. The song has a sequence of G–A7–D–G–A7–D as its chord progression. Lyrically, the song is about someone waking up from a romantic dream at six o'clock on Monday morning, and facing a hectic journey to work when she would prefer to still be enjoying relaxing on Sunday—her "I-don't-have-to-run day". Actor Rudolph Valentino is referred in the first verse.

The Bangles - Manic Monday

The single received generally positive reviews by music critics. Some of them compared the song with the single "Monday, Monday" by the band the Mamas & the Papas. In a review for AllMusic, Mark Deming said that the single "was a far cry from anything the Bangles had recorded before"; while Matthew Greenwald, also from the website, said

It's a clever and deceptively simple pop narrative, an infectious pop confection ... There is also an excellently written bridge that shows Prince/Christopher to be an excellent craftsman, and, to their credit, the Bangles carry it off with style and wit?
Robert Hilburn from Los Angeles Times called the song "a candidate for best single of the year". Guardian music critic Dorian Lynskey commented about the painful rhyming of "Sunday" with "I-don't-have-to-run day."
Mark Moses from The Phoenix said "the lack of lyrical substance is so glaring that Prince's lame 'Manic Monday' seems like a thematic highlight". Greg Baker of The Miami News wrote in the album's review that "the song should put [T]he Bangles on the 'pop 'n' roll' map". A writer in Toledo Blade noted that "Manic Monday" was "infectious" and, along with "If She Knew What She Wants", both were "refreshingly melodic". Chris Willman from the Los Angeles Times commented: "The first single 'Manic Monday' represents slumming songwriter Prince's attempt mostly successful save for the inevitable getting down interlude to concoct a modern day Mamas and the Papas hit."
"Manic Monday" debuted at number 86 on the Billboard Hot 100, on the week ending January 25, 1986, and reached a peak of number two, on the issue dated April 19, 1986, being blocked from the top of the chart by Prince and the Revolution's single "Kiss". In the United Kingdom "Manic Monday" debuted at number 85 on February 8, 1986, and entered the top 40, at number 24, on February 22, 1986. The song eventually reached its peak position, at number two, the next month. In Germany, the single debuted at number 29 on March 17, 1986, reaching the top 10 in the next three weeks, and its peak, also at number two, on April 14, 1986, where it stayed two weeks. It remained in the top 10 for four more weeks, leaving the charts on July 20, 1986.

Prince & The Revolution - Kiss

In Switzerland, "Manic Monday" debuted at number 12 on March 30, 1986, becoming the highest debut of the week. It reached its peak two weeks later at number four, where it remained another week. In the Netherlands, the single debuted at number 43 on February 22, 1986; and managed to reach number 24. It stayed on the chart for seven weeks. In Norway, "Manic Monday" debuted at number nine in the 10th week of 1986, becoming the second-highest debut of the week. It also reached the number four two weeks later, where it stayed another two. The song also peaked within the top five in the Austrian, the Irish, and the New Zealand charts