• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bryan Guy Adams OC OBC (born 5 November 1959) is a Canadian singer, songwriter, record producer, guitarist, photographer, philanthropist, and activist. He rose to fame in Canada and the United States with his 1983 album Cuts Like a Knife and turned into a global star with his 1984 album Reckless, which produced some of his best known songs, including "Run to You", "Summer of '69", and his first number one, "Heaven". In 1991, he released the album Waking Up the Neighbours, which included the song "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You". The song became a worldwide hit and reached number 1 in many countries, including a new record of 16 consecutive weeks in the United Kingdom. Adams also had the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 number-one hit singles "Please Forgive Me", "All for Love" and "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?"
For his contributions to music, Adams has garnered many awards and nominations, including 20 Juno Awards among 56 nominations and 15 Grammy Award nominations including a win for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television in 1992. He has also won MTV VMA, MTV EMA (1994), ASCAP, American Music awards, three Ivor Novello Awards for song composition, and has been nominated five times for Golden Globe Awards and three times for Academy Awards for his songwriting for films. Adams was awarded the Order of Canada and the Order of British Columbia for contributions to popular music and philanthropic work via his own foundation, which helps improve education for people around the world. Adams was inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame in March 2011 and Canada's Walk of Fame, Canadian Broadcast Hall of Fame in 1998, and in April 2006 he was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame at Canada's Juno Awards. In 2008, Adams was ranked 38th on the list of all-time top artists in the Billboard Hot 100 50th Anniversary Charts. On 13 January 2010, he received the Allan Waters Humanitarian Award for his part in numerous charitable concerts and campaigns during his career, and on 1 May 2010 was given the Governor General's Performing Arts Award for his 30 years of contributions to the arts.
Bryan Adams has been a vegan for 30 years; he quit eating meat and dairy in 1989. He relayed his experiences with his plant based diet in an interview with Vegan Life Magazine in 2016: "For those people who aren't veggie or vegan it was the best gift I could ever give myself to do it. I am turning 57 years old this year and I work hard, I am always on the move but I have tons of energy because I am plant-based. It is absolutely the best thing you could ever do for yourself. It is a great path."
Adams has never married. In the 1990s, he was in a relationship with Danish model Cecilie Thomsen. Adams and Alicia Grimaldi, his former personal assistant and now trustee and co-founder of his namesake foundation, had their first daughter, Bunny, in April 2011 and the second daughter, Lula, in February 2013. His parents are British, and one grandmother was born in Malta. Adams has homes in London and Paris.
In May 2020, Adams was criticized for social media posts in which he blamed COVID-19 on "bat eating" people. "Tonight was supposed to be the beginning of a tenancy of gigs at the @royalalberthall," he wrote on Instagram and Twitter, "but thanks to some fucking bat eating, wet market animal selling, virus making greedy bastards, the whole world is now on hold, not to mention the thousands that have suffered or died from this virus. My message to them other than 'thanks a fucking lot' is go vegan." Online backlash was immediate, with "Bryan Adams racist" trending on social media. Amy Go, president of the Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice, said the post could stoke hatred of Chinese Canadians in particular. "People look up to public figures. He is seen as an idol by many," she said. "It justifies this racist hatred against Chinese." Adams later apologized for the comments stating, "To any and all that took offence...No excuse, I just wanted to have a rant about the horrible animal cruelty in these wet-markets being the possible source of the virus, and promote veganism. I have love for all people and my thoughts are with everyone dealing with this pandemic around the world."

(Everything I Do) I Do It For You : Bryan Adams

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Love the Nightlife (Disco 'Round)" is a popular disco song recorded by American singer Alicia Bridges in 1978. It went to number two on the US Billboard National Disco Action Top 30 (now the Dance Club Songs chart) for two weeks. It became a crossover hit, peaking at number five on the Billboard Hot 100, and found worldwide success, reaching the top 10 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands and South Africa. A re-release in 1994 allowed the song to reach number four in New Zealand and number five in Iceland.
The song was co-written by Alicia Bridges and Susan Hutcheson in 1977 for Bill Lowery, founder of Southern Music. "I Love the Nightlife" was the first single produced by Steve Buckingham who was invited to produce the single's parent album entitled Alicia Bridges after he had played guitar on a session by the singer. Bridges suggested to Hutcheson that they write a song with either "disco" or "boogie" in the title after Bridges saw a current top-ten hit list featuring several songs with dance-oriented titles. The original title of the resultant song: "Disco 'Round", became the subtitle under the main title "I Love the Nightlife" as Buckingham considered it an R&B number and did not want it labeled disco. Bridges herself would later admit that she had hopes that the song would be received as a Memphis soul number, calling it "something Al Green might sing". However it is as a disco classic that the song is most remembered: in an August 26, 1998 MTV countdown of the Top 54 Dance Songs of the Disco Era, "I Love the Nightlife" was ranked at number 37.
In 1994, the song gained renewed interest after being featured in the film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. It was subsequently re-released and found the best success in New Zealand, where it reached number four in February 1995, 12 places higher than its original peak of number 16. The re-release also reached number five in Iceland and number 11 in Australia. Because of its association with the film (and also because Bridges herself is an open lesbian), the song is closely linked with gay culture. It was remixed for this release.

Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Party All the Time" is a 1985 single by comedian and actor Eddie Murphy, written and produced by Rick James. It was the lead single from Murphy's debut musical album How Could It Be. The single was recorded at James' home studio in Buffalo, New York. It reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, behind "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie. Rick James also provided vocals for the song.
The lyrics are a lament by the singer that despite the expensive, extravagant things he lavishes on his girlfriend, she much prefers spending time going out clubbing, dancing, partying, as well as flirting and cheating with other men, rather than being with her boyfriend and remaining faithful to him.
Barbara Bryson of Los Angeles Times criticized the song, characterizing it as "Gumby goes disco" (referring to the character parodied by Murphy on Saturday Night Live). The publication also placed the song at #1 on "The Video Bottom 10" list.

Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"My Sharona" is the debut single by the Knack. The song was written by Berton Averre and Doug Fieger, and released in 1979 from their album Get the Knack. It reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart where it remained for 6 weeks, and was number one on Billboard's 1979 Top Pop Singles year-end chart.
It was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, representing a million copies sold, and was Capitol Records' fastest gold status debut single since the Beatles' "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in 1964.
When Fieger was 25 years old, he met 17-year-old Sharona Alperin, who inspired a two-month-long run of songwriting, as well as becoming Doug Fieger's girlfriend for the next four years. Fieger recounted that "It was like getting hit in the head with a baseball bat; I fell in love with her instantly. And when that happened, it sparked something and I started writing a lot of songs feverishly in a short amount of time." Fieger and Averre worked out the structure and melody of the song. Averre was originally averse to using Alperin's name in the song, but Fieger wanted it to be a direct expression of his feelings; Averre ultimately relented. Fieger claimed that "My Sharona" was written in 15 minutes.
Fieger and Alperin were engaged at one point, but never married. In a 2005 interview, Fieger said that they remained "great friends". Alperin went on to a successful career as a realtor in Los Angeles.
The music of the song echoes many elements of songs from the 1960s. According to a Trouser Press reviewer, the song's main melodic hook is "an inversion of the signature riff" from "Gimme Some Lovin'", a 1967 song by the Spencer Davis Group. Fieger acknowledged that the song's tom-tom drum rhythm is "just a rewrite" of "Going to a Go-Go", a song from Smokey Robinson and the Miracles from 1965. Drummer Bruce Gary has stated that although he did not particularly like the song when Fieger introduced it to the band, he came up with the stuttering beat for the song similar to a surf stomp. He also decided to incorporate a flam, in which two drum strokes are staggered, creating a fuller sound, which Gary considered to be crucial to the song's success.
In an interview with The Washington Post, Fieger also noted that the song was written from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy.
The song's stuttering vocal effect of the repeated "muh muh muh my Sharona" phrase is reminiscent of Roger Daltrey's vocals in the 1965 song "My Generation" by the Who.
The music video features the band performing the song in a white room.
In addition to being the inspiration for the song, Sharona Alperin posed for the single's picture sleeve holding a copy of the Knack's debut album Get the Knack.
The song's clean production sound was also reminiscent of the sound of the 1960s British Invasion. Dick Nusser of Billboard remarked on the song's "catchy, deliberately awkward, stop-go drum and guitar breaks", its "quirky lyrics" and "suggestive tone", and that the song will "make you ready, willing and able to hum the refrain at the right moment." In the Pazz & Jop 1979 Critic's Poll "My Sharona" and Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" were tied for sixth place in the list of top singles of the year.
Chris Woodstra of AllMusic has subsequently referred to the song as an "unforgettable hit." The New Rolling Stone Album Guide claimed that the song "was a hit for a good reason. The beat is urgent, the chorus calls out for drunken shouting along and the guitar solo is a firecracker flash."
The New York Times called the song "an emblem of the new wave era in rock and a prime example of the brevity of pop fame."
During the making of Michael Jackson's 1982 Thriller album, producer Quincy Jones aspired to include a rock and roll-inspired song, in the vein of "My Sharona." Jackson subsequently wrote "Beat It".
In 2008, "My Sharona" was ranked in two Billboard 50th anniversary charts. It ranked 75 on the Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs and 16 on the Top Billboard Hot 100 Rock Songs.
In 1994, "My Sharona" re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart and peaked at number 91, when it was released as part of the Reality Bites soundtrack album. In the film itself, the characters dance to the song at a convenience store. This version was remixed by Dave Jerden and features, among other changes, a much more prominent drum sound.
In 2005, the song gained some attention when it appeared on the playlist of U.S. President George W. Bush's iPod.
"Girl U Want" by Devo, from the album Freedom of Choice, was allegedly inspired by "My Sharona", although Devo's Gerald Casale has denied this.
During the 2020 coronavirus pandemic Prescott Niles released a parody of My Sharona titled "My ‘Rona"
In video games, a cover of "My Sharona" is featured as downloadable content for the Rock Band series. This version was later updated for Rock Band 3 to support the Pro Guitar feature. The original version of the song, along with its music video, is featured on Lips: Party Classics on Xbox 360.
In films, the song was heard in the 1994 film Reality Bites, the 1997 Disney film RocketMan, the trailer for Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, in J.J. Abrams' Super 8, and in Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some!!. In 1994, the song was almost used in the hit film Pulp Fiction.

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 1979 a Hit Song Made This Future L.A. Real Estate Agent a Pop Culture Icon
By Susan Campos-
June 11, 2019

my-sharona-40-years-1068x712.jpg

She is one of the rare people who is internationally recognized solely by her first name, yet still maintains the anonymity most A-listers would kill for after another day dodging paparazzi. She’s the kind of pop culture phenom who has the bragging rights to being both a question in a New York Times crossword puzzle and an answer (er, question) on the game show Jeopardy!. When Alex Trebek asked contestants: “Name the girl in this hit by the Knack who made Doug Fieger’s ‘motor run, my motor run’ and became a star in the real estate world” practically everyone in the audience there and watching at home knew the answer: Who is “My Sharona”?

Before becoming a top real estate agent in Los Angeles, Sharona Alperin hit rock-star-muse status in summer 1979. The L.A. native met Fieger, lead singer of the Knack, while she was still a student at Fairfax High School. “Doug was nine years older than me. I was 17. And he was instantly saying things like, ‘I’m in love with you. We’re going to be together,’” she says. “I was fully in love with my serious boyfriend at the time and he was much closer to my own age.”

But that didn’t deter Fieger. The singer’s ardent pursuit was the stuff of fairy-tale rock and roll rom-com. He wooed her one night by getting one of her favorite performers, Eddie Money, to come up on stage and sing “Two Tickets to Paradise” with the Knack. But no doubt the grandest gesture of all is the song that bears her name. One day Sharona dropped by a band rehearsal and was surprised to hear them playing a new song. “When they all sang ‘My Sharona’ I was stunned,” she says. “I actually remember asking myself, ‘Did I just hear a song with my name in it? What just happened?’

“And when the song came out on the radio,” she recalls, “I was still in a relationship with my boyfriend, if you can believe it.”

But a few months later, when Sharona could no longer resist the lead singer’s advances, she broke up with her longtime beau and at the age of 19 began touring with the Knack. “I have a 19-year-old daughter in college now, and here I am wishing my daughter was in college across the street rather than at USC,” she says with a laugh. “And at the same age I’m off traveling with a rock band all over the world.”
When the band wasn’t on tour, Alperin zipped around house hunting throughout Los Angeles. “Doug would be in the studio and I would preview houses for him,” she explains. “He would tell the real estate agent with the listing, ‘Do you mind if Sharona shows it to me, and the real estate agents would be like, ‘Wow, you really know how to show a house.’” Although they bought a house together, the couple broke up after four years but remained great friends.
Turns out those real estate agents weren’t just humoring their rock star client and his pretty girlfriend, because the newly single Alperin parlayed her knack for showing houses and mixing with the city’s who’s who by securing a real estate license at 25. Homes above the Sunset Strip, right above the clubs she previously cut such a glamorous swath through, became her area of expertise.
Now a successful mover of multimillion-dollar estates at Sotheby’s International, Alperin refuses to restrict herself to one area of the city. “I am an L.A. woman of Los Angeles, I don’t limit myself to just Hollywood,” she says with bravado. “My clients and properties are everywhere from Malibu to Manhattan Beach to Brentwood.
“I understand the emotion behind selling or buying a house,” she says. “It’s personal. It may be your nest egg or your divorce. You need to understand this is someone’s home.”
Alperin describes herself as a workaholic who feels guilty ever taking a day off. “I feel bad getting my nails done,” she says. “I wish I could send someone to get my nails done and I could go show a house.”
Her real estate career and dining at restaurants have replaced the rock and roll lifestyle. She dines out several nights a week and is a formidable foodie, right down to the way she orders cocktails. No drink is complete until she reaches into her handbag and takes out some candied ginger to add to her Moscow mule.
It’s the same kind of detail she pays to orchestrating open houses. When potential buyers walk in and see her name on the sign someone will usually joke, “Are you ‘My Sharona’ from the song?” not realizing the answer is yes.
“I’m always surprised people still recognize the name,” she says. “Imagine if there had been social media back then.”
A week doesn’t go by without a package arriving at her Sunset Strip office with a little piece of the past. Recently a big delivery came containing an array of memorabilia, a sticky note on each piece indicating how she should autograph it. It included the sleeve of the “My Sharona” single with her with her clad in a pair of 501 jeans and a white tank top.
She is still passionate about music, real estate, and Los Angeles. “It’s the best city,” she says with a tone of excitement in her voice. “Where else can you get this weather, be 30 minutes from the beach, two hours from the mountains to go skiing, and two hours from the desert!
“It is a perfect city to sell real estate,” she raves. “I love my job! The only other thing people joke that I should do is start a company that does tours of Los Angeles. Maybe one day.”

Note:
Fieger underwent brain surgery in August 2006 to remove two tumors. He later was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2007, which required extensive chemotherapy and removal of half of his lung. His former wife, Mia, contributed to Fieger's care during his illness.
After battling cancer for years, Fieger died at his home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Woodland Hills on February 14, 2010. He was 57 years old. In addition to his older brother, Geoffrey Fieger, survivors included his younger sister, Beth Falkenstein.
Fieger wrote "My Sharona" for Sharona Alperin, his girlfriend. Fieger and Alperin married other people, but they remained friends. Alperin visited him frequently in his final months. "People that meant so much to him in the music industry, came to pay their respects to him," she says. "It was really beautiful."

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Don't Stop Me Now" is a song by the British rock band Queen from their 1978 album Jazz that was released as a single in 1979. Written by lead singer Freddie Mercury, it was recorded in August 1978 at Super Bear Studios in Berre-les-Alpes (Alpes-Maritimes), France, and is the twelfth track on the album.
Musically, the song builds on Mercury's piano playing, with John Deacon and Roger Taylor providing a bass guitar and drums backing track. The song also provides an example of Queen's trademark style of multitrack harmony vocals for the chorus lines.
The song also appears in the band's 1981 compilation album Greatest Hits, and in June 2011, as part of Queen's 40th anniversary celebrations, an old take of the song containing more guitar parts was included on the bonus EP of the re-released and remastered Jazz album. Featuring in films, commercials, and television shows, the song has grown in popularity in the four decades since its release. Bobby Olivier of Billboard attributes its initial rebirth to its appearance in the 2004 cult classic zombie apocalypse film Shaun of the Dead.[8] In 2014, Rolling Stone readers voted it their third favourite song by Queen.
The single reached number 9 in the UK charts but only number 86 in the US; as the album was a top-10 hit, the song got some airplay on U.S. album-oriented rock stations despite its low chart ranking as a single. Despite this the song has grown in stature with time and has been popularised not only by consistent airplay, but by its use in advertisements, television programmes and films, and through cover versions. It has subsequently become one of Queen's most popular songs. The song was voted as the third best Queen song by readers of Rolling Stone, who noted that "time has also been very kind to it and it's widely seen now as one of the group's best works." The single also has reached Platinum status in the United Kingdom. In a March 2019 Billboard magazine article titled, “The Evolution of Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now': How a Minor Hit Became One of The Band's Most Beloved (And Inescapable) Songs”, Bobby Olivier writes,

“You might have noticed a new commercial promoting the new season of American Idol. It was a 90-second music video featuring a dozen or so bright-eyed contestants, all of whom gleefully belted lines from a beloved song that has felt particularly ubiquitous as of late. No, it wasn’t “Shallow,” or “Thank U, Next” — it was Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now,” a classic-rock energizer that has, in the last six months alone, also been featured in commercials for Toyota, Silk almond milk, Amazon and L’Oreal. In the latter spot, Camila Cabello lip-syncs to the 41-year-old song as she dances and applies her lipstick. “Don’t Stop Me Now” is not only one of the band’s most treasured cuts, but one of the most popular songs of its entire era. On Sunday, March 3, it eclipsed 500 million plays on Spotify — nearly double that of any Rolling Stones, U2 or Led Zeppelin song on the service.”
Alexis Petridis of The Guardian wrote that the "astonishing" song "may be Queen’s greatest song of all." He felt it was "a direct product of [Mercury's] hedonism and promiscuity: an unrepentant, joyous, utterly irresistible paean to gay pleasure-seeking. You find yourself wondering if its title might not have been aimed at his censorious bandmates." Mike Orme of Stylus Magazine ranked it the 7th greatest penultimate track on an album, calling it Queen's "most flamboyant and energetic single" and commenting: "Essentially three and a half minutes of Freddie Mercury jacking the mike from the rest of the world, the song offers him a chance to let us know just how much fun he’s having in the spotlight."
Despite its popularity, Brian May was not a fan of the song as he felt it was celebrating the hedonistic and risky lifestyle of Mercury. He added that he struggled with the lyrics at the time, because it was about a difficult period in Freddie's life when the singer was "taking lots of drugs and having sex with lots of men."

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara; 5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991) was a British singer, songwriter, record producer, and lead vocalist of the rock band Queen. Regarded as one of the greatest lead singers in the history of rock music, he was known for his flamboyant stage persona and four-octave vocal range.
Born in 1946 in Zanzibar to Parsi-Indian parents, he attended English-style boarding schools in India from the age of eight and returned to Zanzibar after secondary school. In 1964, his family fled the Zanzibar Revolution, moving to Middlesex, England. Having studied and written music for years, he formed Queen in 1970 with guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. Mercury wrote numerous hits for Queen, including "Killer Queen", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Somebody to Love", "We Are the Champions", "Don't Stop Me Now", and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". His charismatic stage performances often saw him interact with the audience, as displayed at the 1985 Live Aid concert. He also led a solo career and served as a producer and guest musician for other artists. Mercury died in 1991 at age 45 due to complications from AIDS. He confirmed the day before his death that he had contracted the disease, having been diagnosed in 1987. In 1992, his tribute concert was held at Wembley Stadium.
As a member of Queen, Mercury was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2003, and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2004. In 1990, he and the other Queen members were awarded the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music, and one year after his death Mercury was awarded it individually. In 2005, Queen were awarded an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Song Collection from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers, and Authors. In 2002, Mercury ranked number 58 in the BBC's poll of the 100 Greatest Britons.

Statue_of_Freddie_Mercury_in_Montreux_2005-07-15.jpg

A statue in Montreux, Switzerland, by sculptor Irena Sedlecká, was erected as a tribute to Mercury. It stands almost 10 feet (3 metres) high overlooking Lake Geneva and was unveiled on 25 November 1996 by Mercury's father and Montserrat Caballé, with bandmates Brian May and Roger Taylor also in attendance. Beginning in 2003 fans from around the world have gathered in Switzerland annually to pay tribute to the singer as part of the "Freddie Mercury Montreux Memorial Day" on the first weekend of September. The Bearpark And Esh Colliery Band played at the Freddie Mercury statue on 1 June 2010.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Being with You" is a 1981 song recorded by American singer Smokey Robinson and is the title track from his Gold-certified album with the same name. The song spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Hot Soul Singles chart from March to early May 1981 and reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100, behind "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes, his highest charting solo hit on the Billboard pop charts.

Now let me tell you about a coincidental relationship between Smokey at #2 and Kim Carnes who's at #1 again this week. Kim's last hit was "More Love", her remake of an old Smokey Robinson hit. Well, Smokey liked Kim's version so much that he wrote her another song, but when Smokey's producer heard the demo, he told Smokey, "You oughta record it yourself!", and that's the song we just heard in the #2 position. And how ironic it is that Smokey's recording of the song he'd written for Kim Carnes has been kept out of the #1 spot by a Kim Carnes hit for 3 weeks running. - Casey Kasem, American Top 40

It hit No. 1 on the US Cash Box Top 100. The track was also a No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart in June 1981, becoming Robinson's second UK No. 1 single and his first as a solo artist.

Smokey Robinson - Being With You

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" is a song performed and co-written by American singer-songwriter Christopher Cross, which was the main theme for the 1981 film Arthur starring Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli. The song won the Oscar for Best Original Song in 1981. In the US, it reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and on the Hot Adult Contemporary charts during October 1981, remaining at the top on the Hot 100 for three consecutive weeks. Overseas, it also went to number one on the VG-lista chart in Norway, and was a top ten hit in several other countries. The song became the second and last American number one hit by Christopher Cross. It was included as a bonus track only on the CD & Cassette versions of his second album Another Page, released in 1983.
The B-side of record, "Minstrel Gigolo," was the same song used on the back of Cross's debut single, "Ride Like the Wind."
The song was written in collaboration between Cross, pop music composer Burt Bacharach, and Bacharach's frequent writing partner and then wife Carole Bayer Sager. A fourth writing credit went to Minnelli's ex-husband and Australian songwriter Peter Allen, also a frequent collaborator with Bayer Sager: the line "When you get caught between the moon and New York City" from the chorus was taken from an unreleased song Allen and Bayer Sager had previously written together. Allen came up with the line while his plane was in a holding pattern during a night arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
The song won the 1982 Academy Award for Best Original Song, and the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. In 2004 it finished at #79 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of the top tunes in American cinema. In 2008, Barry Manilow released a cover version.

Christopher Cross - Authur's Theme

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Shake It Up" is a song by the Cars from their 1981 album of the same name. Although appearing for the first time in 1981, it was actually written years earlier by the band's songwriter and lead singer Ric Ocasek. The song became one of the Cars' most popular songs (peaking at No. 2 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart and No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in early 1982). With the track "Cruiser" as its b-side, it hit No. 14 on the Billboard Disco Top 80 chart.
The song is primarily reliant on dance-pop as its main genre, with pop rock elements audible. Ocasek referred to the song as "the big return to pop" after the more art rock style of the preceding album, Panorama. Add to these keyboardist Greg Hawkes' synthesizer lines, the associated instrument of bands labeled "new wave" at the time, and it is a prime example of The Cars' genre blending.
Drummer David Robinson said at first he did not even want to record the song, as it was "kicking around for years. It never sounded good. We recorded it a couple of times in the studio and dumped it, and we were going to try it one more time, and I was fighting everybody . . . So we thought, let's start all over again, like we've never even heard it—completely change every part—and we did. Then, when it was through and all put back together, it was like a brand-new song."
Guitarist Elliot Easton said he wanted his solo to sound like "two guys trading off". He plays first a Fender Telecaster in a style skewing "country", then midway through the solo switches to a Gibson Crank to sound more rock.
The song references dance moves, hair styles and having fun. However, bassist Benjamin Orr has stated the song tells the story of how important it is to make a mark in life, to "let them know what you really mean". Thus, the hit song has an existential element as well as a simple message.
Ric Ocasek has since dismissed the song's lyrics, saying, "I’m not proud of the lyrics to 'Shake It Up.'

Note: Ocasek was married three times. His first wife Constance divorced him in Ohio in 1971. In the same year he married Suzanne Otcasek, who uses the original spelling of Ocasek's name. They were married for 17 years. During filming of the music video for the Cars' song "Drive" in 1984, Ocasek met 18-year-old Czech-born supermodel Paulina Porizkova, while he was still married to Suzanne. Ocasek and Suzanne divorced in 1988. He and Porizkova were married on August 23, 1989 on Saint-Barthélemy island. In May 2018, Porizkova announced she and Ocasek had separated a year earlier.
Ocasek was found dead on September 15, 2019, by Porizkova at his New York City townhouse, which they still shared. He had been recovering from surgery. The Chief Medical Examiner office reported that Ocasek died from natural causes. He suffered from both hypertensive heart and coronary artery disease.
Porizkova and Ocasek were still in the process of their divorce, but he had disinherited her in a new will, alleging that before his recent surgery she had abandoned him. He also disinherited two of his six sons. A probate judge will have to rule on the veracity of the abandonment claims, then on the remaining estate to be divided.

The Cars - Shake it up

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/paulina-porizkova-angry-over-the-cars-ric-ocasek-will.html
RESPECT THE CLASSICS MAR. 1, 2020
Bad Times Are Rolling, As Paulina Porizkova Feels ‘Betrayed’ After Ric Ocasek Excludes Her From Will
07f435c10be655c5e1889ba5969eb4370a-1-ric.rsquare.w330.jpg

The couple in 2017. Photo: Kevin Kane/Getty Images For The Rock and Ro

The eternally hip frontman of the Cars, Ric Ocasek, died at the age of 75 last year, with his body being discovered in his Manhattan home by his wife of several decades, the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova. The couple had announced in 2017 that they were separating, and began divorce proceedings in the weeks leading up to his death. Now, in her first interview since Ocasek’s passing, Porizkova opened up about the grief of unexpectedly losing “the man that I loved and that I had grown up with,” and how she’s been blindsided by her complete exclusion from Ocasek’s will. “It’s made the grieving process really, really tricky. Because I would love to just be able to be sad and miss him, and not also feel this incredible hurt of his betrayal,” she told CBS Sunday Morning. “Oh, oh yeah. I feel betrayed. I sure do.”

In addition to Porizkova, Ocasek cut out two children from an earlier marriage from his will. The couple continued to live together and maintain a very friendly relationship, Porizkova said, up until his death. She also happily accompanied Ocasek to his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2018. “Yesterday I was kind of having a nervous breakdown,” she explained, noting how she put all of her modeling earnings into the marriage. “And today I’m feeling a little bit stronger. And in a way, this is freeing me. It’s really, really scary. I didn’t necessarily want it. But this is what I got. And so, I have to learn how to use my wings now.”

“I’m never gonna get an answer,” she added about the exclusion. “And that sucks.” As noted by the New York Post, who obtained copies of Ocasek’s will, the musician updated his will weeks before his death to ensure Porizkova was written out, “because she has abandoned me.” In turn, Porizkova has filed court papers to seek part of his estate, which is valued at $5 million.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/paulina-porizkova-ric-ocasek-894349/

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Take On Me" is a song by Norwegian synth-pop band A-ha, first released in 1984. The original version was produced by Tony Mansfield and remixed by John Ratcliff. A new version was released in 1985 and produced by Alan Tarney for the group's debut studio album Hunting High and Low (1985). The song combines synthpop with a varied instrumentation that includes acoustic guitars, keyboards, and drums. It is considered to be the band's signature song.

The original "Take On Me" was recorded in 1984 and took two versions and three releases to chart in the United Kingdom, reaching number two on the UK Singles Chart in October 1985. In the United States in October 1985, it became the only A-ha song to top the Billboard Hot 100, assisted by wide exposure on MTV of its innovative music video, directed by Steve Barron. The video features the band in a live-action pencil-sketch sequence. The video won six awards and was nominated for two others at the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards.

First video
The first release of "Take On Me" in 1984 includes a completely different recording, and was featured in the first video, which shows the band singing with a blue background.

Lead singer Morten Harket and actress Bunty Bailey in a scene from the music video, which features them in a pencil-sketch animation / live-action combination called rotoscoping.

Second video
The second video, directed by Irish-born British film director Steve Barron, is the more widely recognised video for the song. It was filmed in 1985 at Kim's Café (now called Savoy Café) (corner of Wandsworth Road and Pensbury Place, London SW8), and on a sound stage in London. The video used a pencil-sketch animation / live-action combination called rotoscoping, in which the live-action footage is traced over frame by frame to give the characters realistic movements.Approximately 3,000 frames were rotoscoped, which took 16 weeks to complete. The idea of the video was suggested by Warner Bros executive Jeff Ayeroff, who was pivotal in making "Take on Me" a globally recognised music hit.

Plot
The video's main theme is a romantic fantasy narrative. It begins with a montage of pencil drawings in a comic-book style representing motorcycle sidecar racing, in which the hero, played by Morten Harket, is pursued by two opponents, one of whom is played by English actor Philip Jackson. It then cuts to a scene in a cafe, in which a young woman, played by Bunty Bailey (Harket's girlfriend at the time), is seen drinking coffee and reading the comic book. As the woman reads, the waitress brings her the bill. The comic's hero, after winning the race, seemingly winks at the woman from the page. His pencil-drawn hand reaches out of the comic book, inviting the woman into it. Once inside, she too appears in the pencil-drawn form, as he sings to her and introduces her to his black-and-white world which features a sort of looking-glass portal where people and objects look real on one side and pencil-drawn on the other.

Back in the cafe, the waitress returns to find the woman missing. Believing that the woman has left without paying the bill, she angrily crumples and throws the woman's comic book into a bin. This makes the hero's two opposing racers reappear, armed with a large pipe wrench. The racers smash the looking glass with the pipe wrench, trapping the woman in the comic book. The hero punches one of the thugs and retreats with the woman into a maze of paper. Arriving at a dead end, he tears a hole in the paper wall so that the woman can escape as the menacing opposing racers close in on him and they raise their pipe wrench to his face. The woman, now back in the real world and found lying beside the bin to the surprise of cafe guests and staff, retrieves the comic from the bin and runs home where she attempts to smooth out the creases to learn what happens next.
The next panel shows the hero, lying seemingly lifeless; and the woman begins to cry. However, he then wakes up and tries to break out of his comic-book frames. At the same time, his image appears in the woman's hallway; seemingly torn between real and comic form, hurling himself repeatedly left-and-right against the walls as he attempts to shatter his two-dimensional barrier. (This scene is largely patterned after a climactic scene in the 1980 film Altered States.) He escapes from the comic book by becoming human and stands up. Smiling, the woman walks towards him.

Awards
At the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards, the video for "Take On Me" won six awards—Best New Artist in a Video, Best Concept Video, Most Experimental Video, Best Direction in a Video, Best Special Effects in a Video, and Viewer's Choice—and was nominated for two others, Best Group Video and Video of the Year. It was also nominated for Favorite Pop/Rock Video at the 13th American Music Awards in 1986.
The second music video was produced by Limelight Productions. The crew of the video were director Steve Barron, producer Simon Fields, cinematographer Oliver Stapleton, editor Richard Simpson from Rushes Film Editing, and animators Michael Patterson and Candace Reckinger.

Legacy
The music video remains enormously popular: in 2018, Quartzy declared it Hollywood's song of the year. The video has been subject to various parodies. The Family Guy episode, "Breaking Out Is Hard to Do", includes a licensed, re-edited version of the "Take On Me" video. Volkswagen created a television advertisement inspired by the video. The "Take On Me" video was one of the first to be made into a literal music video. The visuals of this video is used as homage for Paramore's "Caught in the Middle". A hidden section in the video game Just Cause 4 renders the game similar to the video, including the song running in the background while the player is within it.

The music video was remastered in 2019 from the original 35mm film and released on YouTube.[35] On February 17, 2020, the music video reached one billion views on YouTube. Prior to that date, only four songs from the entire 20th century had reached that elusive mark — "November Rain" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns N' Roses, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" — making "Take On Me" the fifth video from that time period ever to do so. A-ha also became the first Scandinavian act to achieve this status

a-ha - Take On Me

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This near-miss for Santana in '85 is worth listening to again

By Kevin Wuench
Published Sep. 19, 2016
How many times do we have to say it again on Stuck In the '80s? We love Rock Dinos. As we get older and more forgetful, forgive us for repeating ourselves but when Santana is involved its fine to Say It Again.
Say It Again
nearly hit the Top 40 peaking at No. 46 in 1985 and in Carlos Santana's arsenal of lead singers, the vocals on Say It Again fell to the soulful Greg Walker. Of Santana's 15 Top 40 songs, Walker would sing lead on two of them as he made his mark with Stormy and She's Not There - both of which charted in the '70s and were remakes of '60s songs.
The video for Say It Again is the oft familiar "behind the scenes" video with Carlos Santana presiding over the shoot in his home turf of San Francisco. At 69 years of age, Santana isn't close to retiring as this past spring he released his 23rd album, Santana IV. The album is called "IV" since it is the first album since 1971's Santana III to include original classic lineup including Journey members Neal Schon and Greg Rollie.

Santana - Say It Again

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Every Breath You Take" is a song by the English rock band The Police from their album Synchronicity (1983). Written by Sting, the single was the biggest US and UK hit of 1983, topping the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart for eight weeks (the band's only No. 1 hit on that chart), and the UK Singles Chart for four weeks. It also topped the Billboard Top Tracks chart for nine weeks.
At the 26th Annual Grammy Awards, the song was nominated for three Grammy Awards, including Song of the Year, Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, and Record of the Year, winning in the first two categories. For the song, Sting received the 1983 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors.
In the 1983 Rolling Stone critics' and readers' poll, it was voted "Song of the Year". In the US, it was the best-selling single of 1983 and fifth-best-selling single of the decade. Billboard ranked it as the No. 1 song for 1983.
"Every Breath You Take" is the Police's and Sting's signature song, and in 2010 was estimated to generate between a quarter and a third of Sting's music publishing income. In May 2019, was recognised by BMI as being the most played song in radio history. With nearly 15 million radio plays, Sting received a BMI Award at a ceremony held at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills to mark it being the Most Performed Song in BMI's catalogue, a distinction previously held since 1999 by Mann and Weill's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'". BMI President and CEO Mike O'Neill stated: "For the first time in 22 years, BMI has a new top song in our repertoire with Sting's timeless hit 'Every Breath You Take,' a remarkable achievement that solidifies its place in songwriting history."
The song ranked No. 84 on the Rolling Stone list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and is included in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. It also ranked number 25 on Billboard's Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs. In 2008, Q magazine named it among the top 10 British Songs of the 1980s. In 2015, the song was voted by the British public as the nation's favourite 1980s number one in a UK-wide poll for ITV.
Sting wrote the song in 1982 in the aftermath of his separation from Frances Tomelty and the beginning of his relationship with Trudie Styler; their split was controversial. As The Independent reported in 2006, "The problem was, he was already married – to actress Frances Tomelty, who just happened to be Trudie's best friend (Sting and Frances lived next door to Trudie in Bayswater, West London, for several years before the two of them became lovers). The affair was widely condemned."
To escape the public eye, Sting retreated to the Caribbean. He started writing the song at Ian Fleming's writing desk on the Goldeneye estate in Oracabessa, Jamaica. The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make". Sting recalled:

I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realise at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'" When asked why he appears angry in the music video, Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite." Gary T. Marx, sociologist and scholar of surveillance studies, wrote in 1988 that, while the song was "a love rather than a protest song", it "nicely captures elements of the new surveillance". He compared the lines to various new technologies of surveillance, including linking "every breath you take" to breath analyzers, "every step you take" to ankle monitors, and "every vow you break" to voice stress analysis.
According to the Back to Mono box-set book, "Every Breath You Take" is influenced by a Gene Pitney song titled "Every Breath I Take". Led Zeppelin's song, "D'yer Mak'er" (1973), also contains the words "every breath I take; every move I make". The song has an AABACABA structure.
The demo of the song was recorded in an eight-track suite in North London's Utopia studios and featured Sting singing over a Hammond organ. A few months later, he presented the song to the other band members when they reconvened at George Martin's AIR Studios in Montserrat to work on the Synchronicity album. While recording, guitarist Andy Summers came up with a guitar part inspired by Béla Bartók that would later become a trademark lick, and played it straight through in one take. He was asked to put guitar onto a simple backing track of bass, drums, and a single vocal, with Sting offering no directive beyond "make it your own". Summers remembered:

This was a difficult one to get, because Sting wrote a very good song, but there was no guitar on it. He had this Hammond organ thing that sounded like Billy Preston. It certainly didn't sound like the Police, with that big, rolling synthesizer part. We spent about six weeks recording just the snare drums and the bass. It was a simple, classic chord sequence, but we couldn't agree how to do it. I'd been making an album with Robert Fripp, and I was kind of experimenting with playing Bartok violin duets and had worked up a new riff. When Sting said 'go and make it your own', I went and stuck that lick on it, and immediately we knew we had something special.
The recording process was fraught with difficulties as personal tensions between the band members, particularly Sting and drummer Stewart Copeland, came to the fore. Producer Hugh Padgham claimed that by the time of the recording sessions, Sting and Copeland "hated each other", with verbal and physical fights in the studio common. The tensions almost led to the recording sessions being cancelled until a meeting involving the band and the group's manager, Miles Copeland (Stewart's brother), resulted in an agreement to continue.
Keyboard parts were added from Roland guitar synthesizers, a Prophet-5 and an Oberheim synthesiser. The single-note piano in the middle eight was recommended by Padgham, inspired by similar work that he had done with the group XTC. The drum track was largely created through separate overdubs of each percussive instrument, with the main backbeat created by simultaneously playing a snare and a gong drum. To give the song more liveliness, Padgham asked Copeland to record his drum part in the studio's dining room in order to achieve some "special sound effects". The room, however, was so hot that Copeland's drum sticks had to be taped to his hands to avoid slippage.
In 1999, "Every Breath You Take" was listed as one of the Top 100 Songs of the Century by BMI. In May 2019, BMI updated the list and “Every Breath You Take” was recognized as the Most Performed Song in BMI’s catalogue, a distinction previously held by Mann and Weill’s “You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'”. In 2003, VH1 ranked the song the No. 2 greatest breakup song. As of 2003, Sting was making an average of $2000 per day in royalties for the song.
In October 2007, Sting was awarded a Million-Air certificate for nine million airplays of "Every Breath You Take" at the BMI Awards show in London.
"Every Breath You Take" is the Police's and Sting's signature song, and in 2010 was estimated to generate between a quarter and a third of Sting's music publishing income. In May 2019, was recognised by BMI as being the most played song in radio history. With nearly 15 million radio plays, Sting received a BMI Award at a ceremony held at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills to mark it being the Most Performed Song in BMI's catalogue, a distinction previously held since 1999 by Mann and Weill's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'". BMI President and CEO Mike O'Neill stated: "For the first time in 22 years, BMI has a new top song in our repertoire with Sting's timeless hit 'Every Breath You Take,' a remarkable achievement that solidifies its place in songwriting history."
The song ranked No. 84 on the Rolling Stone list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and is included in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. It also ranked number 25 on Billboard's Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs. In 2008, Q magazine named it among the top 10 British Songs of the 1980s. In 2015, the song was voted by the British public as the nation's favourite 1980s number one in a UK-wide poll for ITV.
It is one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. On the 60th anniversary of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart, on Billboard released the "Greatest of All Time Hot 100 Singles" chart where the song was ranked No. 29. On the 50th anniversary of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart, the song was ranked No. 25 on Billboard's "The All-Time Top 100 Songs" chart.

The Police - Every Breath You Take

Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner CBE (born 2 October 1951), known as Sting, is an English musician and actor. He was the principal songwriter, lead singer, and bassist for the new wave rock band the Police from 1977 to 1984, and launched a solo career in 1985. He has included elements of rock, jazz, reggae, classical, new-age and worldbeat in his music.
As a solo musician and a member of The Police, Sting has received 17 Grammy Awards: he won Song of the Year for "Every Breath You Take", three Brit Awards, including Best British Male Artist in 1994 and Outstanding Contribution in 2002, a Golden Globe, an Emmy and four nominations for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. In 2019, he received a BMI Award for "Every Breath You Take" becoming the most played song in radio history. In 2002, Sting received the Ivor Novello Award for Lifetime Achievement from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors and was also inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Police in 2003. In 2000, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for recording. In 2003, Sting received a CBE from Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace for services to music. He was made a Kennedy Center Honoree at the White House in 2014, and was awarded the Polar Music Prize in 2017.
With the Police, Sting became one of the world's best-selling music artists. Solo and with the Police combined, he has sold over 100 million records. In 2006, Paste ranked him 62nd of the 100 best living songwriters.[5] He was 63rd of VH1's 100 greatest artists of rock,[6] and 80th of Q magazine's 100 greatest musical stars of the 20th century. He has collaborated with other musicians on songs such as "Money for Nothing" with Dire Straits, "Rise & Fall" with Craig David, "All for Love" with Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart, "You Will Be My Ain True Love" with Alison Krauss, and introduced the North African music genre raï to Western audiences through the hit song "Desert Rose" with Cheb Mami. In 2018, he released the album 44/876, a collaboration with Jamaican musician Shaggy, which won the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album in 2019.

Personal life
Sting married actress Frances Tomelty on 1 May 1976. Before they divorced in 1984, they had two children: Joseph (born 23 November 1976) and Fuchsia Katherine ("Kate", born 17 April 1982). In 1980, Sting became a tax exile in Galway in Ireland. In 1982, after the birth of his second child, he separated from Tomelty and began living with actress and film producer Trudie Styler. The couple married at Camden Registry Office on 20 August 1992, and had their wedding blessed two days later in the twelfth-century parish church of St Andrew in Great Durnford, Wiltshire, south-west England. Sting and Styler have four children: Brigitte Michael ("Mickey", born 19 January 1984), Jake (24 May 1985), Eliot Pauline (nicknamed "Coco", 30 July 1990), and Giacomo Luke (17 December 1995). Coco is a singer who now goes by the name Eliot Sumner, and was the founder and lead singer of the group I Blame Coco. Giacomo Luke is the inspiration behind the name of Kentucky Derby–winning horse Giacomo.
In April 2009, the Sunday Times Rich List estimated Sting's wealth at £175 million (US$265 million) and ranked him the 322nd wealthiest person in Britain. A decade later, Sting was estimated to have a fortune of £320 million in the 2019 Sunday Times Rich List, making him one of the 10 wealthiest people in the British music industry.
Both of Sting's parents died of cancer: his mother in 1986 and his father in 1987. He did not attend either parent's funeral, in order not to bring media attention to them.
Sting ran five miles (8 km) a day and performed aerobics. He participated in running races at Parliament Hill and charity runs. Around 1990, Danny Paradise introduced him to yoga, and he began practising Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga series, though he now practises Tantra and Jivamukti Yoga as well. He wrote a foreword to Yoga Beyond Belief, written by Ganga White in 2007. In 2008, he was reported to practise Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation technique.
Sting's affinity with yoga contributed to a rumour about his sexual prowess, including a purported eight hours of sex with Styler. The story stems from an interview with Sting and Bob Geldof. A journalist asked "how do you perform in bed?" and Geldof remarked that he was a "three-minute man" but Sting could last for hours thanks to yoga.
Sting played chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov in an exhibition game in 2000, along with four bandmates: Dominic Miller, Jason Rebello, Chris Botti and Russ Irwin. Kasparov beat all five simultaneously within fifty minutes.

Trudie-Styler.jpg

Sting – Trudie Styler
Sometimes you can’t deny the heart what it wants, even if the circumstances aren’t in your favor. Trudie Styler actually met Sting with thanks to his wife (at the time) because she introduced the two. It didn’t take long for Sting and Frances Tomelty to get divorced, paving the way for Trudie and Sting to tie the knot and remain madly in love until today.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I'll Be Over You" is a hit single by the American rock band Toto. Released as the lead single from their 1986 album, Fahrenheit, the song reached number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1986. Lead vocals were sung by guitarist Steve Lukather, who co-wrote the song with hit songwriter Randy Goodrum (one of several collaborations between the two). Guest musician Michael McDonald provided the vocal counterpoint on the recording.
"I'll Be Over You" spent two weeks at number one on the adult contemporary chart, Toto's second song to top this chart (following 1983's "I Won't Hold You Back").
Lukather explained the song's lyrics: "What the song is basically saying is, the guy has broken up with a girl, and realized that he should never have broken up with this girl, and he's still really deeply in love with her. Sort of like a warning to people, like, you never know how good you got it until you don't have it anymore."
A music video (in which guest vocalist McDonald also appears) was shot with the band playing on an apartment rooftop until it rained. The rooftop is on top of the building located at 548 South Spring Street in Los Angeles, California, USA.

Toto - I'll Be Over You

Steven Lee Lukather (born October 21, 1957) is an American guitarist, singer, songwriter, arranger and record producer, best known as the sole continuous founding member of the rock band Toto from its founding in 1976 to its latest hiatus in 2019. A prolific session musician, Lukather has recorded guitar tracks for more than 1,500 albums representing a broad array of artists and genres. He has also contributed to albums and hit singles as a songwriter, arranger and producer. He played guitar on Boz Scaggs' albums Down Two Then Left (1977) and Middle Man (1980). Lukather was a prominent contributor to several studio albums by Michael Jackson, including Thriller (1982), Lukather has released seven solo albums, the latest of which, Transition, was released in January 2013.
In 1976, when Lukather was nineteen years old, he was invited by his high school friends David Paich and the Porcaro brothers Steve and Jeff to join them in forming their band, Toto. He remained a member of the band throughout its entire history, in latter years serving as its manager, musical director, and live emcee. Lukather's reputation as a guitarist and his association with Paich and the Porcaro brothers, who also became established artists, allowed him to secure a steady flow of session work in the 1970s and 1980s. Lukather has been nominated for twelve Grammy Awards, and has won five. While his work with Toto was predominantly based on pop rock music and his solo work ventures into progressive rock and hard rock, many of Lukather's side-projects are focused on jazz fusion. He held a long-time collaboration with jazz guitarist Larry Carlton that produced a Grammy-winning live album, and he was a member of the jazz fusion band Los Lobotomys, a collaboration of notable session musicians. Since 2012, Lukather has toured with former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr's live supergroup, the All-Starr Band.
Influenced by such blues-rock guitarists as Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page, and such jazz fusion players as Al Di Meola and Frank Gambale, Lukather is known for a "melodic and intense" playing style. He is also recognized for his efficiency in the studio, often recording tracks in one take using minimal sound processing. While he once used many guitar effects in the studio and on stage, he now frequently disparages such practice, and instead advocates clean tones and minimal studio processing. Lukather plays primarily a signature electric guitar manufactured by Ernie Ball Music Man bearing his nickname, Luke. He also plays Yamaha and Ovation Adamas series acoustic–electric guitars.
Lukather is the original lead guitarist for Toto, serving in that capacity for the band's entire history, as well as a lead and backing vocalist and composer. Lukather won three of his five Grammy Awards for work with Toto, twice as an artist and once as a producer. David Paich led the band's songwriting efforts during the development of 1978's Toto—he penned all but two of the album's tracks, including all four of its singles. Lukather also credits Jeff Porcaro for his leadership within the band during that period. However, Lukather's role in Toto evolved over time owing to the changing needs of the band. In August 1992, Jeff Porcaro collapsed while doing yard work at home and subsequently died of heart failure. The death profoundly affected Toto and Lukather in particular, who felt that he needed to step up and make sure the band kept going. Thus, he began taking more of a leadership role.
By 2008, Lukather was the only remaining, original Toto member still performing with the band: Bobby Kimball was also in the band at the time, but earlier had been absent from it for some time – whereas Lukather has been with Toto since its formation. However, in June of the same year, Lukather decided to leave Toto. This decision directly led to the official dissolution of the band. In a 2011 interview discussing his career with Toto, Lukather indicated that the band had evolved too far from its original incarnation and that he was dealing with the physical and mental toll of recording and performing. In February 2010, the band announced that they would reunite to support Toto bassist Mike Porcaro, who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. They continued to tour on a limited basis in 2011 and 2012.
Although Lukather indicated in April 2011 that the band would not record any further material, Toto announced a heavy international tour schedule and new studio album in March 2014. In March 2015 Toto XIV was released.[ The band toured in celebration of its 40th anniversary from 2016 to 2019, when Lukather announced an indefinite hiatus.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Long Train Runnin'" (or "Long Train Running") is a song recorded by The Doobie Brothers and written by band member Tom Johnston. It was included on the band's 1973 album The Captain and Me and released as a single, becoming a top 10 hit on the US Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 8.
It was covered by Italian band Traks in 1982 and then by English girl group Bananarama in 1991. In 1993 the Doobie Brothers version was remixed and charted again in several countries, including reaching No. 7 in the UK Singles Chart.
The tune evolved from an untitled and mostly ad-libbed jam that the Doobies developed onstage years before it was finally recorded. Its working title, according to Johnston, was "Rosie Pig Moseley" and later "Osborn". "I didn't want to cut it," Johnston later confessed. "...I just considered it a bar song without a lot of merit. Teddy [Templeman], on the other hand, thought it had some." Templeman convinced Johnston to write words to the song.
Johnston performed the lead vocal and the rhythmic guitar strumming that propels the song.

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"What About Me?" is a song first recorded in 1984 as a trio by singers Kenny Rogers, Kim Carnes, and James Ingram. The song was written by Rogers, noted producer David Foster, and singer-songwriter Richard Marx, who would later achieve superstar status as a musician ("Right Here Waiting", "Now and Forever"). It was the lead single from Rogers's Platinum-plus 1984 album of the same name.
Rogers has described "What About Me?" as "like a three-way love song...Everybody involved said 'Hey, what about me?' I think it's a beautiful record." Originally the male and female parts not sung by Rogers were to be performed by Lionel Richie and Barbra Streisand, but after Richie backed out of the project, Streisand did as well. The second proposed trio of singers was Rogers, Olivia Newton-John, and Jeffrey Osborne, but Newton-John began working on a duet with Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees and decided not to do both projects simultaneously. Osborne had a conflicting schedule as well, so the line-up of Rogers, Carnes, and Ingram was ultimately the one that recorded the song.
"What About Me?" charted on four Billboard singles charts in the United States at the time of its release in late 1984. It was most successful on the adult contemporary chart, where it spent two weeks at number one in November, knocking Stevie Wonder out of the top slot. It was the first adult contemporary chart topper for Carnes. Ingram had a No. 1 adult contemporary song with Patti Austin "Baby, Come to Me" in 1983). For Rogers, it was his eighth (and to date, final) number one on the AC chart. On the Billboard Hot 100, the song peaked at No. 15, while it accomplished the rare feat of charting on both the R&B (No. 57) and country (No. 70) charts. It was Rogers's second single to reach the R&B chart, following his 1980 hit "Lady". That song, written by Richie, had reached No. 42 on the R&B chart as well as going to No. 1 on the pop, country, and AC charts.
Kenny Rogers With Kim Carnes and James Ingram - What About Me?

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bonnie Pointer, a Founder of Sisters’ Vocal Group, Dies at 69
She started the Pointer Sisters with her siblings but left them to pursue a solo career before they went on to score hit after hit in the 1980s.
09POINTER-superJumbo.jpg

Bonnie Pointer in 1979. In the early 1970s, the Pointer Sisters had been a foursome with a dynamic, genre-crossing style. She left to pursue a solo career.Credit...Harry Langdon/Getty Images

June 9, 2020

Bonnie Pointer, who was one of the founding siblings of the Pointer Sisters, the vocal group that built an eclectic career in the 1970s mixing funk, retro jazz and country, but who left the band before its pop reinvention in the 1980s, died on Monday at her home in Los Angeles. She was 69.
The cause was cardiac arrest, her sister Anita Pointer said.
In their first phase, starting in the early 1970s, the Pointer Sisters were a foursome with a dynamic, genre-crossing style. They sang in crisp, close harmonies and dabbled in scat vocals, and they wore 1940s fashions with a sense of thrift-store chic. Admiring critics called them a mix between the Andrews Sisters and the Supremes.
The sisters, who grew up in Oakland, Calif., honed their vocal skills as children at the West Oakland Church of God, where their father was the pastor. Bonnie and June, the two youngest sisters, began performing in 1969 under the name The Pointers — A Pair.
In a phone interview, Anita Pointer said she quit her job as a legal secretary after seeing Bonnie and June onstage in San Francisco.
“I saw them at the Fillmore West, and I lost my mind,” she said, adding that Bonnie was “the catalyst” in starting their musical career.
Renamed the Pointer Sisters, the three began working as backup singers. Mingling with the San Francisco-area rock scene, they sang with acts like Boz Scaggs, Grace Slick and the gender-bending pioneer Sylvester, and they were briefly signed to Atlantic Records. Their singles for that label failed to chart, although one 1972 B-side, “Send Him Back,” has come to be considered a minor funk classic.
Joined by their sister Ruth, the group, now a quartet, signed with the progressive label Blue Thumb, where they thrived. Their debut album, called simply “The Pointer Sisters” (1973), featured a musky take on Allen Toussaint’s unity anthem “Yes We Can Can” as well as a rapid-fire version of “Cloudburst,” a staple of the jazz vocal group Lambert, Hendricks & Ross’s repertoire. “Yes We Can Can” went to No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
Bonnie Pointer distinguished herself as a songwriter as well. “Fairytale,” written by Bonnie and Anita for the group’s 1974 album, “That’s a Plenty,” was a melancholy country breakup ballad that brought the group the first of its three Grammy Awards, for best country performance by a duo or group.
Bonnie was also one of the credited writers for “How Long (Betcha’ Got a Chick on the Side),” from 1975, one of the Pointer Sisters’ best-loved funk tracks, which was later sampled by the female rap group Salt-N-Pepa.
She left the group in the late 1970s and signed with Motown; she also married Jeffrey Bowen, a producer there. Her two albums for that label were heavy with disco remakes of 1960s Motown singles, like the Four Tops’ “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch),” with Ms. Pointer recording most of the vocal parts herself. The most successful in this formula was “Heaven Must Have Sent You,” which went to No. 11 in 1979.
“I’m the kind of person who likes to do adventurous, new things,” Ms. Pointer told Blues & Soul magazine in 1979. “It’s got to be a challenge for me to go forward, ’cause I don’t like to be stuck into just one thing.”
By that time, the Pointer Sisters had begun to reinvent themselves as a trio, with a closer focus on the pop and rock mainstream. Their version of Bruce Springsteen’s “Fire” went to No. 2 in early 1979, and for the first half of the 1980s the group was a phenomenon. “He’s So Shy” (1980), “Jump (For My Love)” (1984), “I’m So Excited” (1984) and “Neutron Dance” (1985) were ubiquitous hits that presented the group as sassy, earthy dance-pop queens who had seen it all.
In 1985, the Pointer Sisters won two more Grammys: best pop performance by a duo or group, for “Jump,” and best vocal arrangement, for “Automatic.”
Patricia Eva Pointer was born in Oakland on July 11, 1950, to Elton and Sarah (Salis) Pointer. Her mother was also a minister. A family friend called the girl Bunny; Bonnie herself adjusted that to create her own nickname, Anita said.
Besides Anita, she is survived by her sister Ruth and her brothers Aaron and Fritz Pointer. Her marriage to Mr. Bowen ended in divorce. June Pointer died of cancer in 2006 at 52.
Bonnie Pointer released two more albums after leaving Motown — “If the Price Is Right” (1984) and “Like a Picasso” (2011) — but never found the same success she had enjoyed in the Pointer Sisters. In 2011, she was arrested on charges of possession of crack cocaine.
But Anita said they had remained close, and this year she and Bonnie released “Feels Like June” in tribute to their sister.
Bonnie’s voice in the original group’s four-part harmonies, Anita said, was essential but hard to pinpoint.
“Bonnie was that magic note,” Anita Pointer said, “that no one could ever find.”

Ben Sisario covers the music industry for The New York Times. @sisario

Bonnie Pointer - Heaven must have sent you