• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

6cents left in bank account

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
6 cents left in bank account: Woman loses over $37k to scam after trying to buy thunder tea rice online, Singapore News
www.asiaone.com

She wanted to buy some thunder tea rice, but found herself the victim of a scam instead.
Zhong Luo, 48, had seen an advertisement for the Hakka dish on social media on Sept 2 and couldn't resist the offer, ending up losing over $37,000 to scammers, Shin Min Daily News reported.
"The website was selling thunder tea rice for $7.90 each with a buy-two-get-one-free deal. There are few sellers of the dish in Singapore, so I decided to buy three servings to share with my family," Luo said.
She contacted the seller via a messaging app, and was given a hyperlink that allegedly contained a form for customers to fill in their delivery address.
When she clicked on the link, however, an app called Grab and Go was downloaded on her mobile phone instead.

6 women in Singapore lose over $100k after falling for investment scam by same 'Hong Kong man'

The next afternoon, Luo noticed that her phone was heating up and unresponsive — no matter how she swiped, she would always be directed back to her phone's home screen.
At 4pm, she received a call from her bank notifying her of an outgoing $6,000 transfer, making her realise that something was amiss.
"I told the bank to freeze the account right away and explained to them that I hadn't transferred the money," Luo said.
"But at 6pm, the bank called again, saying that there were three transfers out of my account that amounted to $37,466. I immediately called the police."
Acknowledging that she was the one who clicked on the link, Luo put part of the blame on the bank, telling the Chinese evening daily that the bank should have frozen her account at 4pm.
"If the bank had delayed the transfers, it could've helped mitigate the problem," she added.
The woman also shared with Shin Min that the $37,000 lost was hard-earned money accumulated by both her and her husband over the years and was supposed to be their retirement fund.
Additionally, her son is currently studying in a private college and his $6,000 school fees are due this month, on top of another $2,500 for insurance.
With only have six cents left in the bank account, Luo said she had to borrow money from family and friends to survive.
Luo used this experience to warn others against making the same mistake, even managing to help prevent two of her friends — who happened to see the same advertisement — from falling for the same scam.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sale.png

https://mothership.sg/2023/09/lei-cha-scam-37k/

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at the ATM one day to draw money, and I saw a transaction receipt dangling. The previous customer must have forgotten to keep the receipt. I saw a balance of $150,000 + and I wondered why a person kept so much money in his current account.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lazy and greedy.
Lazy - buy online instead of from the market
Greedy - buy 2 get 1 flee.
Deserve to be scammed.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy lei cha fan bei lei gong pack :biggrin:

I suspect maybe bank will be pressured to refund her all the money because at 4pm she already asked for account to be frozen yet 6pm still can get 37k transfered out.

I already said time for something to be done as bank cannot afford to keep refunding all the gcb :geek:

Buaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at the ATM one day to draw money, and I saw a transaction receipt dangling. The previous customer must have forgotten to keep the receipt. I saw a balance of $150,000 + and I wondered why a person kept so much money in his current account.
May be he/she does not know the "velocity of money" theorem.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
May be he/she does not know the "velocity of money" theorem.
With $150,000 in the current account, it's not as if he will be paid more interest. In fact, I instinctively feel that it's the account of a lady.

Once scammers got hold of her account, it's boom town Charlie.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lazy and greedy must be gong also then can get scam.
Means lazy + greedy = gong :biggrin:
Sinkies are too trusting of Facebook and other apps. As long as they see many people using the app, they think it's somewhat "government endorsed" and it should be safe.

Same pattern when it comes to voting and vaccination. :o-o:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are too trusting of Facebook and other apps. As long as they see many people using the app, they think it's somewhat "government endorsed" and it should be safe.

Same pattern when it comes to voting and vaccination. :o-o:
Ironically fb always have banking ads or posts to warn people of scams .

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG should have a bounty on these scammers dead or alive.
It'll be a new booming industry. Bounty hunters exempted from prosecution.

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is heartrending to hear from victims of such heinous scams that robs one of their life savings, such as victim Mdm Zhong Luo. She, sadly, is not the first or the last, as scammers abound still in our civilized World of plenty, with resources that can feed ALL several times without anyone cheating others, & only thru good leadership & genuine Rule of Law to uplift lives...

Most Humans are trusting, & each will want to save costs as much as possible so as to have more food to put on the table for oneself & loved ones. It is only Human Nature to care about oneself & others. Thus Mdm Zhong Luo cannot be blamed for being greedy. It was only a few dollars she wanted to save for loved ones. It can happen to ANYONE OF US too.

The one to be blamed are the barbaric scammers... & they WILL face DIVINE RETRIBUTION, proven time & time again, even if they think they can escape Human justice. We as a society can only do so much to help, already spent Millions in advertising to create awareness. It will need ALL to reach out to others, to spread further awareness to prevent such scams upon innocent anyone else.

We Humanity cannot stop the juggernaut of progress & evolution, but each of us can help to mitigate such progress for those whom may have little education or ignorant with SOLUTIONS. We will leave no one behind....

May Mdm Zhong be not despondent. It is only money lost, which can be REBUILT over time. She is only 48yrs old. As long as one can still breathe, one still has the opportunity, more so in Singapore, to regain wealth. No Human is perfect, & each will have to make mistakes to learn & progress. At times, mistakes can be very expensive, but for sure one will ultimately learn.

May none just simply give up on life after a hard lesson. Our ancient ancestors fled from tyranny & migrated here. Our founding & forefathers faced FAR worse, betrayed in 1942 & then again in 1965 when we were booted out of the Federation & left to starve & die. Our founding fathers & forefathers, did not, but just simply rolled up their sleeves & work hard as well as intelligently & honestly, & gave us our progress & today.

Each of us Humans are born as winners. We, male or female, were the only ones whom managed to fertilize the female egg & born to see this World in all its glory from our Creator.

No Being promised life would be a bed of roses daily. It takes COURAGE to live, to face challenges - biological or physical as our forefathers did, if not for ourselves it will be those whom loved us, to rise up after each defeat or mistake, that makes us WINNERS all TOGETHER COLLECTIVELY. We...are...Singaporeans...

Last edited:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy lei cha fan bei lei gong pack :biggrin:

I suspect maybe bank will be pressured to refund her all the money because at 4pm she already asked for account to be frozen yet 6pm still can get 37k transfered out.

I already said time for something to be done as bank cannot afford to keep refunding all the gcb :geek:
She told small fly? No body chap her?