• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

50 Most Influential Gadgets

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:pOne for the kopi addicts

#56 Drip Coffee Maker

54ca65debde93_-_pmx0711_gadgets83-lgn.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#57 Swiss Army Knife

54ca65e164f53_-_pmx0711_gadgets79-lgn.jpg

Carl Elsener, a Swiss journeyman cutler, thought it was a disgrace that Swiss soldiers carried German-made knives.
In 1890, he introduced the first Swiss Army Knife, the Modell 1980, which had a blade, an awl, a can opener and a screwdriver.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can list all that I have owned from the list here:

1. Apple - iPhone, iPod, iPad.
2. Sony Walkman - Cassette, CD.
3. VCR
4. US Robotics Sportster 56k Modem....the distributor was some "Stephenson" bought in Funan Centre.
5. Motorola Bravo Pager ( still have it) & two other Korean models ( still have them)
6. Sony Camcorder
7. Answering Machine - National Brand
8. Polaroid 600 Camera ( still around, the viewfinder plastic rotted away) still working.
9. DVD Player...now BD Player
10. Nokia 3210, & few others
11. HP Deskjet
12. Palm Pilot - 2 generations & 1 Compaq
13. Shredder -
14. Stapler, from normal size to huge ones.
15. Game & Watch - 2 versions , the octopus one & the one of people jumping off a burning building....now the LCD screen pixels not displaying.
16. Cassette Player - Sanyo (2), Sony Boom Box (1)
17. Kodak Carousel
18. Gillette Shaving Blades , must add Old Spice Shaving Cream plus Old Spice Shaving Cologne.

I don't have the pictures:

still with me:

a. Sony Portable voice recorder ( for office use, especially in important meetings)
b. My digital diary & phone book before the advent of mobile phones , still working CASIO SF4300 32KB digital diary.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can list all that I have owned from the list here:
still with me:
a. Sony Portable voice recorder ( for office use, especially in important meetings)
b. My digital diary & phone book before the advent of mobile phones , still working CASIO SF4300 32KB digital diary.
For your time capsule. :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For your time capsule. :p

I had one, but when moving residences lost those boxes...that included that Record Player with the huge horn, plus a portable record player from National, if you watch early days movie...you will see them, you bring them to the beach or....romanzing your girl...it comes with speakers built in ( STEREO) & one portable mechanical calculator ( forgot the brand) that was before CASIO sold theirs....& a host of other things, not seen anymore today...ahh! yes!....my Voigt Lander B/W Camera that takes great pictures & no brainer & my father's mechanical watch ( forgot the brand) that needs manual winding & display the positions of the stars..or was it the seasons??

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#61 Electric Toothbrush

54ca65e698e84_-_pmx0711_gadgets68-lgn.jpg

U.S. Navy submariners didn't have much to smile about: Subsisting on mushy canned food for months on end,
they got almost zero gum stimulation. Electric toothbrushes came aboard in 1959, solving the problem.
They later found a wider audience--and inspired the invention of another vibrating device (but that's a gadget for an entirely different article).

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#62 Tape Measure

54ca65e8390be_-_pmx0711_gadgets65-lgn.jpg

The modern, spring-loaded tape measure was created by Alvin Fellows in 1868.
Fellows' work improved upon an earlier model by encasing the tool in plastic and attaching
it to a spring clip to lock the tape in place until its release.
Yet despite the spring tape measure's timeless utilitarianism, it didn't start outselling the wooden ruler until the 1940s;
the gadget sped up construction during a major building boom: 14.1 million houses in a decade.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smoke Detector

54ca65eb94870_-_pmx0711_gadgets100-lgn.jpg

When Duane Pearsall founded the Statitrol Corporation in the 1960s, lifesaving wasn't his motivation
--it was curbing static, specifically in photo dark rooms. But during prototype testing of their static control device,
Statitrol's technicians noticed that a meter measuring ion concentration flat-lined whenever cigarette smoke hit it.
"By accident, we had discovered how to make an ionization smoke detector," Pearsall said.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#67 CD-ROM
54ca65eca1a27_-_pmx0711_gadgets59-lgn.jpg

Early computer games required multiple floppies;Alone in the Dark, for example, took four.
The CD-ROM, packed with huge stores of animation and gaming data, allowed kids to upload one disc and disappear into the Myst.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#70 Car Jack

54ca65efbcc57_-_pmx0711_gadgets098-lgn.jpg

Richard Dudgeon invented the compact, portable hydraulic jack, in 1851. when he was just 32 years old.
Now a staple of every auto shop and pit row in the land, its original habitats were shipyards and railroad repair shops.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
#71 Cassette Tape
54ca65f14e5cc_-_pmx0711_gadgets48-lgn.jpg

Invented by Philips in 1962, this format began outselling vinyl on a per capita basis in the U.S. in the early 1980s
before yielding later in the decade to the CD.