• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

42 yrs old good for nothing general give opening dialogue

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
SM Goh's potential successor makes political debut
p10.jpg

FOR the past week, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has been dropping hints of his potential successor in Marine Parade GRC - a strong candidate who can form the core team of Singapore's fourth-generation leadership.

Yesterday, residents of the GRC had their chance to meet Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan Jin (right), 42, when he made his debut in political life. He was introduced to grassroots leaders at a dialogue in Kampong Ubi-Kembangan Community Club.

Tipped as a future office-holder, the former commander of the Army Training and Doctrine Command will understudy SM Goh.

SM Goh confirmed that BG (NS) Tan is, in his opinion, a 'member of the people whom the Prime Minister is testing out'.

He said: 'So if he makes, it, he will be a member of the core team. Hopefully, he will succeed in being one.'

BG (NS) Tan retired from the Singapore Armed Forces on March 31 after 24 years of service. The Sandhurst-trained general led Singapore's humanitarian effort in Meulaboh, Aceh, after the 2004 tsunami. In 2009, he chaired the National Day Parade executive committee.

At the dialogue, he related his experience in the tsunami-hit town to the grassroots leaders: 'To me, what was the most significant was to see the way people, regardless of race, language and religion, came together as one, and reached out with so much compassion and humanity to make a difference.'

He added: 'We are a small nation with a big big heart.'

When asked on the sidelines of the dialogue on what happens if Marine Parade GRC is uncontested, BG (NS) Tan said: 'When I step forward to serve, I am prepared to fight.'

'I've stepped forward, I've thrown the ball into the court. The key thing is, will the opposition respond? So I've done my part, I leave it to the opposition to decide.'

TEO WAN GEK

SM on Tin Pei Ling

'People have missed the point why we fielded a young person. It's to signal to those in their late 20s and early 30s that there is a place for them in Parliament. So when we found a suitable young person, we decided to field her. Of course, you can't expect a 27-year-old person to have the maturity and experience of a 40-year-old, or the same wisdom of a 70-year-old... There are risks in fielding a younger candidate. But if we do this successfully, I think the upside, the potential of getting more young people interested in politics, will be very possible.'

Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong on Netizens slamming 27-year-old Tin Pei Ling, a new PAP candidate

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
===

When asked on the sidelines of the dialogue on what happens if Marine Parade GRC is uncontested, BG (NS) Tan said: 'When I step forward to serve, I am prepared to fight.'

'I've stepped forward, I've thrown the ball into the court. The key thing is, will the opposition respond? So I've done my part, I leave it to the opposition to decide.'

TEO WAN GEK[/QUOTE]

==
wah..Mr General is playing ping pong har...u make a stroke, u wait for respond n then react? WTF...as a leader, you ought to forsee problems over the horizon and anticipate ... LOL...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is scary to think that someone who served the army all his life without any business background and private sector exposure is finally here to tell you that you must take his economy plan for Singapore going forward, or worse to involve himself in charting budget and even invest in our tax monies like "guru".

All along I always think that army regulars only know how to cheong hill and tekan their fellow men and than used vulgarities to bring their command across. Having them as our politician is the greatest joke PAP has been playing with the people. Someday, a goon like him will adopt PAP arrogant tone and tell you that he knows economic better than the people, you should ask him to go fly kite instead.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
BG (NS) Tan said: 'When I step forward to serve, I am prepared to fight.'

Dare to fight in Hougang SMC ?

KNN, General still must hide behind 70-year old Old man ? Fight ? Fight lanchiao la !

Spearhead

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dare to fight in Hougang SMC ?

KNN, General still must hide behind 70-year old Old man ? Fight ? Fight lanchiao la !

These are so -called 'The future core team" going into GRC than standing up to a real fight....
To me both Ms Tan and BS (NS) Tan are the same.... (Is Marine Parade a Titanic for boarding those "newbie and inexperence" young PAP?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
===

Very arrogant indeed. But coming from a PAP General, nothing surprising.

If this chap has a sausage and two ping pong balls, go fight in a SMC. To help him fight without handicap, he can leave out PP and HG.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is scary to think that someone who served the army all his life without any business background and private sector exposure is finally here to tell you that you must take his economy plan for Singapore going forward, or worse to involve himself in charting budget and even invest in our tax monies like "guru".

All along I always think that army regulars only know how to cheong hill and tekan their fellow men and than used vulgarities to bring their command across. Having them as our politician is the greatest joke PAP has been playing with the people. Someday, a goon like him will adopt PAP arrogant tone and tell you that he knows economic better than the people, you should ask him to go fly kite instead.

Yes. Even they were top econs students, 20 years in the army without any substantial work experience counts for nothing.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can tell from my own personal experience when I was commissioned as an officer during NS. Nothing about me had changed except I had a pip on my shoulder. My NCO instructors and RSM started calling me Sir and salute me thereafter. On the outside I was an officer but inside I was still the same old me, warts and all, but people around me treated me with more respect just because of the pip I was wearing. Goes to show that even if I managed to attain higher ranks I will be more respected, except I decided not to further my career in the SAF after NS. After leaving NS, then one discovers that the SAF does not prepare a person for the civilian life. Maybe we learn how to backstab and carry balls, but not much about business.:biggrin:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
!

To fight opposition is to fight the NS men and Singaporeans. To defend the PAP is to defend foreign invaders. As a General, who is he trying to take side? I am agashed by what he stood for in his uniform and yet defend our enemy and fight our friends.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are damned right. In my previous job where I had to deal with very senior military officers, all they know is how to say YES SIR to their boss. They gave the thumbs up to the proposals, said they were great blah blah. Their Chief comes in, says it is a pile of shit and viola, they joined in and said things like, yes sir, we in fact have already told Mr Confuseous already and agreed with you totally. I guess they make good Lieutenants in the cabinet.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember Tommy Goh? The lousy Captain who refused to report under his nephew? Who came out and started JIT Holdings and later cashed out and became multi-millionaire? Who's now a venture capitalist and Chmn of 2G Capital?

It shows that only junior ranking officers, not Generals, can make it in private entreprise. You name me one super duper MG or BG who is on his own and became a multi-millionaire on his own steam, not a GLC?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remember Tommy Goh? The lousy Captain who refused to report under his nephew? Who came out and started JIT Holdings and later cashed out and became multi-millionaire? Who's now a venture capitalist and Chmn of 2G Capital?

It shows that only junior ranking officers, not Generals, can make it in private entreprise. You name me one super duper MG or BG who is on his own and became a multi-millionaire on his own steam, not a GLC?

Many years ago, I met my former SAF Instructor who recently retired after having eventually risen to the rank of BG. After retiring he set up a business and guess what type of business? You guys put 2 and 2 together and tell me. Hint: His business is in sales of products. What products and who are his customers?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes. Tommy Goh was my OC back in OCS circa 1979. Very nice guy, he was motivated to leave when his scholar nephew was promoted above him.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
To fight opposition is to fight the NS men and Singaporeans. To defend the PAP is to defend foreign invaders. As a General, who is he trying to take side? I am agashed by what he stood for in his uniform and yet defend our enemy and fight our friends.
So just what are we defending for?
This has become a very common question asked by college students and those that are going to be enlisted into the army.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal

With no offence to the general, I cannot imagine someone would make such statement as to the ball is in your court or my court when I cannot see any ball at all. I think anyone who wants to join politics must show what he has on hand to dish out to the people. In other words, any proposal he has in mind to benefit the lives of the people and let the people see and decide, and to the opposition, whether they agree or can match up to his proposal. People want to see the future with you and not just sales talk how good you are. The same measure applies to the opposition candidates, who will have to let voters know the reforms they have in mind when they get the mandate to represent the people. Let this election be constructive and a show of capabilities.

cashman999

Alfrescian
Loyal
With no offence to the general, I cannot imagine someone would make such statement as to the ball is in your court or my court when I cannot see any ball at all. I think anyone who wants to join politics must show what he has on hand to dish out to the people. .... People want to see the future with you and not just sales talk how good you are. .....

Good talk. :smile: All I see is this is one general who spent too much time playing counterstrike....seriously his speech leaves one wondering who is he trying to kid...is he thinking the opp's strategy is centred on him? lol:biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
With no offence to the general, I cannot imagine someone would make such statement as to the ball is in your court or my court when I cannot see any ball at all.

I believe he may have wanted to say 'thrown my hat into the ring', but since he couldn't recall this maxim he 'kaykhiang' made up one.

He doesn't seem to know his role. He thinks as a general he is here to fight the opposition. What a stupid fool !

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe he may have wanted to say 'thrown my hat into the ring', but since he couldn't recall this maxim he 'kaykhiang' made up one.

He doesn't seem to know his role. He thinks as a general he is here to fight the opposition. What a stupid fool !

Yes you are right. Fight for Singaporeans or fight the opposition?

If the general has any good idea for the future of the ppl, speak up and debate it! He is not here to fight a war. Since he wants to fight with no concrete plan, then go back to the army.