• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2010 Academic Ranking Of World Universities ...

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have bad taste.... of all the schools from 1 to 98, you are make a big fuss over the 99th school. :biggrin:

No lah

If you look at this ranking, it is highly inaccurate.

How can Uni of Sydney be better than University of Virginia?

UV is one of the best public schools in US

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
its skew towards a certain area of focus that why you see such a ranking.

nevertheless nus is out which i am not surprise. it stand for No Use Studying.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It do help when you graduate from Ivy league universities. One of my friend, from Princeton, became a director of an American software company in his early thirties. Not many can reach that stage in a super fast manner. But my this friend quite hao lian,yuks!:rolleyes:

GuChiaChwee™

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rice University

Wow, even such no name university can beat NUS.

Talk about world class :(

Rice Uni was one of the approved uni for those applying for PSC overseas scholarships to apply to. That was quite some time ago, not sure about now. It is definitely ranked way above local unis by virtue of the fact that overseas scholarships are more prestigious than local ones.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I have tonnes of Singaporean friends in USA

But you are obviously not one of them.
Because you simply don't know how good Rice University is in some areas.

Be a man and admit your mistake :mad:

A lot of Sinkie farmers do not know of Rice and other top universities. They also haven't heard of John Hopkins, Chicago or Carnegie Mellon.

These people are from NUS and the other two farmer universities. They come from an intellectually starved and academically inferior background and all of them are frogs in the well. My niece even met 3 local university grads (with honours she told me) who did not know that Canada was a real country and thought it was part of the USA. Many local grads I spoke to have not travelled out of Asia by their late 20s or 30s. Even for a short loserly holiday.

What a bunch of sad losers.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
its skew towards a certain area of focus that why you see such a ranking.

nevertheless nus is out which i am not surprise. it stand for No Use Studying.

Actually out of all the rankings I see, local universities fare the same as this ranking. There is only 1 ranking that ranks NUS at 30 something. Judging from your kind of 'reasoning', I think that ranking is the one that 'skews' towards a 'focus of study'.

Everyone knows that the useless Times ranking's biggest weightage is on the proportion of international students. Local universities try to do well on that ranking by importing lots of third rate PRC, Indian, Viet and Malaysians. Later they send press release to the 154th dog press, the 154th pethouse dogs will collaborate on the efforts and publish fake sell-backside stories to easily hoodwink Sinkies, most of whom are frogs in the well who graduated from the three loser universities. They are well known to be gullible and having no critical thinking abilities or exposure to the big wide world overseas or life experience, they are easy to fool.

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rice is one of the top schools in the US. It's internationally recognized as a leader in applied sciences.

Ps. I went to Oxford since you're asking.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rice is one of the top schools in the US. It's internationally recognized as a leader in applied sciences.

Ps. I went to Oxford since you're asking.

Did you go to Oxford for your UNDERGRAD?

Or are one of the many joker farmers who go to overseas to do a 9 mth course-based master's, many times in the department of a prestige school that isn't even renowned for that department in order to claim that they are "overseas grads" (they are NOT) Wanna know a big joke? I know this NTU graduate loser, who applied and went to do a 8 mth Oxford master's.......in Oxford's BUSINESS SCHOOL!

Who the fuck goes to Oxford to do businesS? Anyone in the know knows that its a joke.

Local grads are some of the worst candidates I field when I advertise for staff. They're of a much poorer standard than poly grads with no degrees. Besides the low IQ, many of them are ignorant of basic things outside of their lives as students in Boon Lay/Clementi.

They are not only ignorant of Singapore's socio-political affairs, they have no clue whats happening around the world or what other countries are like. My niece told me that she met several of them who did not know that Canada was a country and thought it was a part of USA and another two who did not know what Wales was.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, real overseas grads ONLY consider those who attend overseas universities at undergraduate level as fellow overseas graduates.

LoserKiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, real overseas grads ONLY consider those who attend overseas universities at undergraduate level as fellow overseas graduates.

Hmm.. that sounds provocative... u mean PhD students are not overseas graduate? they probably have the harshest training...

btw u graduated from Harvard?

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm.. that sounds provocative... u mean PhD students are not overseas graduate? they probably have the harshest training...

btw u graduated from Harvard?

If they were any good and not useless, they would have been overseas grads from the start.

Are you saying you are not aware that there are many PhD students overseas, who did their undergrad ALSO overseas?! Haha

Everyone knows also that its easy to get a PhD grant in a third rate university eg University of Houston. A lot of farmers from here do that. Doing a Phd just means you keep on going the academic route and choose not to work. It's not a reflection of intellect or training.

However, the university that you manage to get the PhD place in, is an indication.

A PhD student in MIT (who also did his undergrad at MIT or MIT equivalent universities) isn't smarter than an MIT graduate who stops at BSc or MSc. More well trained in that field, yes since PhD is so specific. Smarter, no. Because getting into MIT undergrad itself is the feat. Wanting to continue to PhD, which many people know should be done out of passion only as it has zero market value, is not the feat.

Someone who went to some loser school like NTU/NUS for undergrad and then proceeds to another equally useless university for PhD is way dumber than a Yale or MIT undergrad.

Please don't crap that the multitudes of loser and wannabe local farmers who desperately apply to overseas 9 mth to 1 yr shitty course-based master's is an overseas grad. Its as funny as if you think going on an exchange programme also makes you one of us. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they were any good and not useless, they would have been overseas grads from the start.

Are you saying you are not aware that there are many PhD students overseas, who did their undergrad ALSO overseas?! Haha

Everyone knows also that its easy to get a PhD grant in a third rate university eg University of Houston. A lot of farmers from here do that. Doing a Phd just means you keep on going the academic route and choose not to work. It's not a reflection of intellect or training.

However, the university that you manage to get the PhD place in, is an indication.

Please don't crap that the multitudes of loser and wannabe local farmers who desperately apply to overseas 9 mth to 1 yr shitty course-based master's is an overseas grad. Its as funny as if you think going on an exchange programme also makes you one of us. :biggrin:

wow you are really arrogant with a shitty attitude. Most of us who have studied overseas have realized the importance of being humble. We realize that there are many worldviews and everyone is just trying to make their place in this world. There is nothing wrong with going to a local university

You seem more like an asshole that is trying to stir up dissent in the thread for your own pleasure.

PS. I did my undergrad and masters at Oxford.

LoserKiller

Alfrescian
Loyal

A PhD student in MIT (who also did his undergrad at MIT or MIT equivalent universities) isn't smarter than an MIT graduate who stops at BSc or MSc. More well trained in that field, yes since PhD is so specific. Smarter, no. Because getting into MIT undergrad itself is the feat. NOT wanting to continue to PhD, which many people know shd be done out of passion as it has zero market value.

Someone who went to some loser school like NTU/NUS for undergrad and then proceeds to another equally useless university for PhD is way dumber than a Yale or MIT undergrad.

so which unis are good for phd? my brother is going to either Purdue or Notre Dame.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
so which unis are good for phd? my brother is going to either Purdue or Notre Dame.

Where did he do his undergrad?

Both universities are good for some departments. what is his reason for doing a PhD? if its because he thinks he can earn big bucks, I suggest you advise him that it will not happen.

I know two NUS grads who went to do PhD. Both are working in the local polys. One as a lecturer, the other planning curriculum. Both of them replaced people who did not have PhD and only had bachelor's degrees. But then again its NUS whose degree is worth less than used toilet paper...or maybe thats why.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow you are really arrogant with a shitty attitude. Most of us who have studied overseas have realized the importance of being humble. We realize that there are many worldviews and everyone is just trying to make their place in this world. There is nothing wrong with going to a local university

You seem more like an asshole that is trying to stir up dissent in the thread for your own pleasure.

PS. I did my undergrad and masters at Oxford.

Arrogant, perhaps. Truthful, definitely. The truth always hurts doesn't it?

If there's "nothing wrong" with going to local university why did you NOT go yourself and why U spent 10 times more of your parents' money to go to Oxford?? Rubbish. Stop pretending to be egalitarian.

Eating yesterday's fried rice for dinner every night is also nothing wrong, won't go to jail. Does it sure suck as hell and is difficult to swallow and makes you wanna vomit? Yes.

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arrogant, perhaps. Truthful, definitely. The truth always hurts doesn't it?

If there's "nothing wrong" with going to local university why did you NOT go yourself and why U spent 10 times more of your parents' money to go to Oxford?? Rubbish. Stop pretending to be egalitarian.

Eating yesterday's fried rice for dinner every night is also nothing wrong, won't go to jail. Does it sure suck as hell and is difficult to swallow and makes you wanna vomit? Yes.

lol because i live in the UK?...

what a douche.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol because i live in the UK?...

what a douche.

If you're British, why would you call the crappy shitass singapore universities "local universities" so instinctively?

Its ok I give you benefit of the doubt. For a non Singaporean, you sure have lots of curiosity and interest in the country to patronize this forum.

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you're British, why would you call the crappy shitass singapore universities "local universities" so instinctively?

Its ok I give you benefit of the doubt. For a non Singaporean, you sure have lots of curiosity and interest in the country to patronize this forum.

I'm not British, just so happen to live there because of parents moving there for work.