• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

15 yr old Nick, Li Kah Shing and good business

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Explain to me how despite our students year after year scoring straight As, topping World academic tournaments, maths olympiads etc and GLCs full of highly educated scholars over 30 years, 2 major sovereign funds with highly paid executives claiming to have the nose for good and exceptional investment missed having stories like this. How did a kid aged 15 do it and a HongKonger seemed to find this kid half way around the world. And how did Ashton Kutcher get into the act.

In all these years, Temasek has not even scored an ice cream cone worth mentioning.

Message from Nick posted on Summly website
In true Summly fashion, I will keep this short and sweet.

I am delighted to announce Summly has signed an agreement to be acquired by Yahoo!

Our vision is to simplify how we get information and we are thrilled to continue this mission with Yahoo!'s global scale and expertise.

After spending some time on campus, I discovered that Yahoo! has an inspirational goal to make people's daily routines entertaining and meaningful, and mobile will be a central part of that vision. For us, it's the perfect fit.

When I founded Summly at 15, I would have never imagined being in this position so suddenly.

I'd personally like to thank Li Ka-Shing and Horizons Ventures for having the foresight to back a teenager pursuing his dream.

Also to our investors, advisors and of course the fantastic team for believing in the potential of Summly.

Without you all, this never would have been possible. I'd also like to thank my family, friends and school for supporting me.

Most importantly, thank you to our wonderful users who have helped contribute to us receiving Apple's Best Apps of 2012 award for Intuitive Touch!

We will be removing Summly from the App Store today but expect our summarization technology will soon return to multiple Yahoo! products - see this as a ‘power nap' so to speak.

With over 90 million summaries read in just a few short months, this is just the beginning for our technology.

As we move towards a more refined, liberated and intelligent mobile web, summaries will continue to help navigate through our ever expanding information universe.

Other teenage sensations

Nick’s success echoes that of Adam Hildreth who was just 14 when he launched the Dubit Lit website, a social networking site for teenagers.

It made him £2million in five years and now Adam, of Leeds, is estimated to be worth £24million.

Cameron Johnson was just nine years old when he started his own business in Richmond, Virginia, selling invitation cards.

Cameron, now 28, used the profits to set up his own online company EZ Mail and he is worth an estimated £3.2million.

Brother and sister David and Catherine Cook were 17 and 15 respectively when they launched My Yearbook in 2005.

It survived the rival Facebook and the couple, from New Jersey, are together worth £6.5million.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can safety say the next Yahoo or Google won't come from Singapore...at least not from Temasek's sable. Heck! We can't even come up with the next Gangnam style dance craze!!
Amateurs built Google and Yahoo but serious professionals built the Titanic and Temasek is only interested in building the next Titanic!!

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is talent everywhere in the world. However in SG we have suppressed the natural instinct of people to be (or become) talented because we have focussed on a narrow view of what the world is, what education is, and what society should be. This narrowness has robbed Singaporeans of our humanity and ability to discover our natural talents.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question is why are we paying so much in terms of renumeration when we don't see jackshit in terms of returns. What exactly are these supposedly "shrewd" and canny investment wizards being doing all these years.

And then we got a prostitute state controlled press who wrote a fairytale and romantic article and how our dear Dr Cheong of SIA fame broke bread with the great Richard Branson and sensing Branson's moment of weakness or Cheong's business savvy which ever works for you managed to get a deal done on napkin. Well it now turns out to be a dud and SIA lost millions on the price and millions more on supposed synergy.

Not to mention Citi, UBS, Barclays etc. We are either the most gullible investors or we just love to rub shoulders with celebrities with nothing to show for it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why did Li Kah Shing take notice of a 15 year old kid? Well here is my guess..

A Singaporean scholar is assured of a career path that is paved with gold as long as they stick to straight and narrow and do not be too smart or too adventuress. If a scholar or a senior GLC investment executive were to bet on a 15 year old kid and the gamble fails, he would be the laughing stock because he took unnecessary risk.

Guess what? In the 80s, JYM Pillay broke the world aviation record by placing the largest plane acquisition order with Boeing worth more than a billion to the shock of aviation executives in BA and Lufthansa not to mention the American airlines. When he left the chair of SIA, he left a legacy. So what happened to the likes of Pillay in our newer generation.

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can still remember Philip Yeo dishing Apple and Apps.... Well what do u expect when our top executives got this kind of mindset!!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The question is why are we paying so much in terms of renumeration when we don't see jackshit in terms of returns. What exactly are these supposedly "shrewd" and canny investment wizards being doing all these years.

And then we got a prostitute state controlled press who wrote a fairytale and romantic article and how our dear Dr Cheong of SIA fame broke bread with the great Richard Branson and sensing Branson's moment of weakness or Cheong's business savvy which ever works for you managed to get a deal done on napkin. Well it now turns out to be a dud and SIA lost millions on the price and millions more on supposed synergy.

Not to mention Citi, UBS, Barclays etc. We are either the most gullible investors or we just love to rub shoulders with celebrities with nothing to show for it.

With respect, those senior executives and the "scholarly senior managers" at GIC and Temasek Holdings
should consider speaking to me, an insolvency practitioner, to "low ball" all those who desire to sell to GIC / Temasek Holdings,
or wish GIC / Temasek Holdings to invest in them.

We, insolvency practitioners always remind them of the "downside", which may give them a perspective that they may be over-paying.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I remember Mr Test-tube and his comments about Apple. His foot in mouth disease is still a medical phenomenon.

Can still remember Philip Yeo dishing Apple and Apps.... Well what do u expect when our top executives got this kind of mindset!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Ang Mos know very well that these guys want to rub shoulders and basically vain and thus offered them silly deals. The did the same to the vain Saudi Arabian Billionaire Prince Taleel. Pinkerton complex.

With respect, those senior executives and the "scholarly senior managers" at GIC and Temasek Holdings
should consider speaking to me, an insolvency practitioner, to "low ball" all those who desire to sell to GIC / Temasek Holdings,
or wish GIC / Temasek Holdings to invest in them.

We, insolvency practitioners always remind them of the "downside", which may give them a perspective that they may be over-paying.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Ang Mos know very well that these guys want to rub shoulders and basically vain and thus offered them silly deals. The did the same to the vain Saudi Arabian Billionaire Prince Taleel. Pinkerton complex.

Perhaps, they should always be less than eager to buy.
It reminds me of the "bargaining days" when I was young, and accompanying my mother to the market or Chinatown in SG, when she said that she would offer an amount, and be prepared to walk away, if the vendor, does not reduces the price or makes a counter offer.

The executives at GIC / Temasek Holdings should always politely inform the other party that they should resume negotiations the following day, to give the impression that whatever the amount discussed appears too high or too low (depending on who is selling).

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ashton kutcher is one of the most savviest high tech industry investors ever. his pickings are pretty impressive
making money is a combi of hardwork and sheer luck.

but given the spore environment, it is will be a miracle if someone like this guys emerges.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ashton kutcher is one of the most savviest high tech industry investors ever. his pickings are pretty impressive
making money is a combi of hardwork and sheer luck.

but given the spore environment, it is will be a miracle if someone like this guys emerges.

Not possible in Stinkapore.
There must be free money floating in the country in addition to the combi of hardwork and sheer luck.

Smear of shit on sole of shone LKY sucked and fucked about 800++ billions USD of our money into his Stinkapore sovereign fund as he can be santa claus to the fucking world in his always seen buy high high and sell low low

That meant a vacumm of 800++ billions of our money. Which otherwise will be at our disposal to be used to fund good business ventures, or just to enjoy life that we worked for.

Smear of shit on sole of shone LKY stole our futures and our kids futures so he can dance like a fucking clown in the world buying high and selling low, himself or through his proxy son and daughter in law.

Singapore will have been a far better and far happier place with Lee Kuan Yew was aborted by his mother before birth.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Explain to me how despite our students year after year scoring straight As, topping World academic tournaments, maths olympiads etc and GLCs full of highly educated scholars over 30 years, 2 major sovereign funds with highly paid executives claiming to have the nose for good and exceptional investment missed having stories like this. How did a kid aged 15 do it and a HongKonger seemed to find this kid half way around the world. And how did Ashton Kutcher get into the act.

In all these years, Temasek has not even scored an ice cream cone worth mentioning.

Brother and sister David and Catherine Cook were 17 and 15 respectively when they launched My Yearbook in 2005.

It survived the rival Facebook and the couple, from New Jersey, are together worth £6.5million.

cannot compare lah.............Angmohs are basically more creative...........after all, almost everything we using today invented by them.........

education system in S'pore is very brain dead one.............good memory can liao...........no need to think

also, PAP will rather throw money into hare-brained schemes than invest in anything local...............especially if started by teens.........

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, we dunno if yahoo can make this into a success. They were clobbered by Ali baba and now trying their luck on this new thing.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I just have to say these success are due to the fact that they are not sinkie and not a sinkified human beings.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
His app is alright but development was too slow so there are now better ones out there that do it better. The deal makes a lot of sense for Yahoo, valuable IP, service synergy and acqui-hire talents for a song.

jw5

Loyal
His app is alright but development was too slow so there are now better ones out there that do it better. The deal makes a lot of sense for Yahoo, valuable IP, service synergy and acqui-hire talents for a song.

Aiyah, now you up his thread I have no choice but to post my masterpiece here.

A warning for newbies and a reminder for regulars:

A long long time ago and in a land far far away
A boy started a forum for folks to have their say
It’s meant for the common man a place for all and sundry
He tried to think of a good name and finally thought of sammy

A pathetic coward from the elite wanted to say his piece
Too scared to appear in public this place to him was bliss
His chosen nick was scroobal a name now known to all
It would be fine except it didn’t say that he was missing one ball

He claimed to be a know-it-all and he would name drop daily
His behaviour as seen by most was that of a manipulative bully
Arrogance was his forte and he was not beyond deceit
If you wanted him to like you, you had better lick his feet

Disagree with him one time and he would never forget you
Tyrants like him would never allow you to have your point of view
This piece of shit would sometimes try to talk like the common man
But if you dared to go against him he would hit you with a ban

He would later lie about it and claim it was not him
It’s simply normal for this asshole to think that we are dim
He has a bunch of elite cronies who would follow him to the end
This bunch of sycophants insist on keeping their heads in the sand

Blind to the bullying and manipulation he continues with gutso
This egoistic charlatan scroobal has really reached a low
He has no self-awareness his upbringing is in question
What he needs from the rest of us is to be taught a severe lesson

He claims to be a defender of the common man but that is pure bullshit
Just mention anything about those elites and he’s chomping at the bit
His anger with the men in white may sometimes confuse us
Most likely he was discarded by them and thrown under the bus

This manipulative bully still runs the roost but this ditty is for fun
If you think of trusting him, remember he said “Khaw will not run!”
If this piece of scroobal shit does not realize he’s a bullying pest
The rest of us will simply have to think of ways to whip his fucking ass.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

A story I heard lately goes as follows. Temasek led by HC has her own favourites amongst the many "Ivy Leaguers" she hires, however the time frame for them to perform by increasing profits is in true consultancy style is in the region of year following which with non performance they are sidelined.

We are lacking for the following reasons, Every level down, the drive to increase profits stem from decisions to reduce costs to the bone and beyond especially for the companies that Temasek leads, No one is left to make or has the gumption left to make big decisions which might or might not make profits but will benefit either Singapore or Singapore INC .

SQ has been overshadowed by Emirates and Qatar, A Dubai hub which did not exists 15 years ago is now a reality because someone somewhere bet big and won.

Locke

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

But he was a very good match maker...ha ha ha ha , he matched "mee siam" with " mai hum"... ha ha ha

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A pity that back then, social networking was not as efficient as now that would have given Philip Teo a big "FUCK YOU" and gone ahead and more would have pursued their dreams anyway.

Oh well, at least we can take solace that our generation's angst has now sown the healthy seeds of contempt and mistrust towards those who would proclaim themselves as the ruling "elite"

Yes, I remember Mr Test-tube and his comments about Apple. His foot in mouth disease is still a medical phenomenon.

Last edited: