• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

15 Defunct Department Stores We Miss Most

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember Peter Chew and Mohans but not Gian Singh. Was there aircon in the overhead bridge that connects Change Alley to Clifford Pier?
Gian Singh ,was in bank of china in the 50s and shifted to next to the Change Alley later with their own building ,dealing in textiles and garments

before Ocean Building came about in its place there was Moorish type of office building, there was no bridge
than

i guess ,the bridge was built in the 70s ,not sure when it was air coned

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember OG was on the ground floor of Plaza Sing. Best Denki was also on the ground floor. Yaohan was on B1 and B2 is it? B1 was the supermarket, and B2 was other stuff like clothes etc.
Yes Bro. They used to be known as Yaohan before Best Denki. Plaza Sing was their HQ. Then they kinda split the operation. Yaohan selling supermarket stuff, Best Denki for electrical goods. I was attached to another of their flagship store which was at Thomson Plaza.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bedok Emporium. I was caught shoplifting Shaker mechanical pencils with my cousin back then there. LOL...

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Bro. They used to be known as Yaohan before Best Denki. Plaza Sing was their HQ. Then they kinda split the operation. Yaohan selling supermarket stuff, Best Denki for electrical goods. I was attached to another of their flagship store which was at Thomson Plaza.
Back then it was good money to be getting 1K a month for school boy like me in the mid 90s working for Yaohan and then Best Denki. I was attached to store side. But Jipun boss quite kind, gave me the opportunity to help out the sales staff. So I would be getting commissions on the electrical items that I sold , on top of my salary as a store assistant. One trick I learned from the sales veterans there was to promote a particular brand as you would get a higher commission if you managed to sell their product brand. Doesn't matter if the quality sucks. One time I sold this European brand microwave to an Ang Moh. I got $50 commission for that. And so I always told customers getting microwaves to buy that brand. In a month, I managed to sell 5 sets of that microwave model. That's why if any sales guy at all these electrical stores tell you this particular brand is very good, don't be taken in by him. For all you know, he's trying to earn good commissions promoting that product.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Attachments

• CB164479-CF6B-461B-9547-7B6A70990592.jpeg
    CB164479-CF6B-461B-9547-7B6A70990592.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 87C4CBDA-FB1A-4B77-B816-AA65462D00D9.jpeg
    87C4CBDA-FB1A-4B77-B816-AA65462D00D9.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 128

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
All my relatives pronounced it as "yo-han" including my mum who worked as a housekeeper for a japanese family.
Yo Han may be the correct japanese pronunciation then? But us being sinkies without the benefit of being told what was the correct pronunciation, merely called it Yao Han (based on the way it was spelled).

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
All my relatives pronounced it as "yo-han" including my mum who worked as a housekeeper for a japanese family.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la...e executive, Yaohan,the closest thing to home.

COSTA MESA —
A week doesn’t pass without Muneo Adachi of Mission Viejo making a trip to the Yaohan Supermarket in Costa Mesa.
Adachi, president of Canon Informations Systems Inc., doesn’t mind the long drive to his favorite grocery store. For the Japanese executive, Yaohan (pronounced yeow-hahn) is the closest thing to home.

So all this while we were mispronouncing it! Haha!

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Han may be the correct japanese pronunciation then? But us being sinkies without the benefit of being told what was the correct pronunciation, merely called it Yao Han (based on the way it was spelled).

I knew many years after when i grew up, that it was wrongly pronounced, but to this day still puzzled why!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I knew many years after when i grew up, that it was wrongly pronounced, but to this day still puzzled why!

Japanese doesnt have a AO or OW sound

Ah Ee Ooh Eh Oh

So probably that's why. In Japanese it is probably Yoh Hah-N

I don't know why they didnt call their English name as YoHan?

Maybe Yaohan looked nicer?

Anyone know the history?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Japanese doesnt have a AO or OW sound

Ah Ee Ooh Eh Oh

So probably that's why. In Japanese it is probably Yoh Hah-N

I don't know why they didnt call their English name as YoHan?

Maybe Yaohan looked nicer?

Anyone know the history?
Should be just YoHan or YeoHan to avoid all the confusion.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How come nobody remembers Daimaru and Cortina Department Store
i was truly impressed with the daimaru store in tokyo when i was there first time. they picked all the jap chiobus just to stand around to greet and usher you. at that time, its basement food hall was the epitome of the jap “fast food” paradise - sg had not copied it yet, but eventually became a staple in sinkie malls. still there in tokyo.
https://trulytokyo.com/daimaru-department-store/

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember buying my first Zippo lighter at this Mama shop at Change Alley back in the early 2000s. We came back from a vessel, and our transport boat would send us to the old Ang Teng.

Many of the Indian stall owners there could speak fluent Russian - there were lots of Russian sailors walking around.