• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

13 out of 363 lemon law cases taken to Small Claims Tribunal

Someday

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 07/25/2013 20:06 | By Channel NewsAsia

13 out of 363 lemon law cases taken to Small Claims Tribunal

1061EFE0B7C07930A467DB1E28D870.jpg

SINGAPORE: It has been close to a year since the "lemon law" for consumers came into effect, and the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) said 13 cases out of 363 were not resolved and had to be taken to the Small Claims Tribunal.

Mr Cheong had bought a second-hand car for S$52,000 from a dealership at Sin Ming Drive. However, he discovered there were problems with the car engine a month later.

After unsuccessful attempts in getting the car dealership to repair it, Mr Cheong sought help from CASE. After five months without resolution, he paid S$3,600 for his car to be repaired first, and then turned to the small claims tribunal.

He said: "After the consultation, the judge ordered the dealer to pay me S$1,000... To date, they still haven't paid me yet."

The car dealership said it felt that the amount spent to repair the car was too much, and that it was filing an appeal.

CASE said the majority of lemon law cases involve second-hand cars.

Seah Seng Choon, executive director of CASE, said: "Most of the cases are settled in favour of the consumers. In order to get their money back, the retailer must comply with the judgment and if they refuse to comply, I think the consumer has a recourse. They can go back to the small claims tribunal and engage a bailiff to enforce the judgement." - CNA/ac