• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2015-16 ☆

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Emery lends backing to Rico for Champions League bow

14 September 2015 15:56

910684header.jpg

Sevilla coach Unai Emery is confident goalkeeper Sergio Rico will rise to the occasion of his Champions League debut against Borussia Monchengladbach.

The 22-year-old played 37 times in all competitions last season but began this term as understudy to Portuguese Beto.

Rico will nevertheless be thrust into action for the Group D opener against the Bundesliga outfit after Beto sustained a knee injury in last Friday's draw with Levante, ruling him out for six weeks.

"Sergio Rico is ready to play," Emery said. "He matured last year in important matches and this type of match will help him. We trust on Sergio."

Sevilla qualified for the Champions League by virtue of continuing their dominance of the Europa League last term, securing their second consecutive triumph in Europe's second-tier club competition and a fourth in the past 10 years.

Emery is now keen for his players to make an impression on the biggest stage and believes a vocal home crowd at the Estadio Sanchez Pizjuan can play their part.

"We return to the Champions League with the ambition to play it many years. All the club want to grow in this competition," he said.

"Sanchez Pizjuan is our temple, our matches here are more than just football."

Jose Antonio Reyes will captain the hosts on Tuesday, a moment the experienced forward is relishing having started his career with Sevilla.

"Playing in the Champions League with Sevilla is one of the dreams of my life and tomorrow this day will come," said Reyes, who returned to Sevilla in 2012 having represented Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Benfica.

"I'm proud of be Sevilla's captain. We don't play this competition every day so we must enjoy it, but obviously we want to win."

Sevilla are winless in three La Liga matches so far this season, drawing two, while Monchengladbach have started dismally in the Bundesliga, losing all four games to date.

Reyes does not expect these struggles to be factor when the teams come face to face.

"The Champions League isn’t related with our bad matches in La Liga," he added. "We respect Borussia. Our team is confident and strong."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aguero ruled out of Champions League clash with Juventus

14 September 2015 14:25

910652header.jpg

Manchester City will be without Sergio Aguero for their Champions League Group D clash with Juventus due to a knee injury.

The striker sustained the problem courtesy of a heavy challenge from Scott Dann during City's 1-0 Premier League win over Crystal Palace on Saturday and missed training on Monday.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini confirmed at his pre-match news conference that Aguero would sit out against the Italian champions, although hinted he could return to face West Ham on Saturday.

"Sergio is not fit for tomorrow because of a kick in his knee so we are without him," Pellegrini said.

"We will wait on him. We will see this afternoon how long it will be. I hope he will be okay for the weekend but we must wait to see the result of scans."

Pellegrini will welcome back David Silva and Raheem Sterling after they missed the match Selhurst Park with respective ankle and knee problems, but Fernandinho and Samir Nasri picked up unspecified knocks against Palace and Pellegrini will wait for both men to be assessed.

Wilfried Bony is expected to lead the line in Aguero's absence, with last weekend's rookie goal hero Kelechi Iheanacho not part of City's Champions League squad.

"We have Wilfried and Sterling can also play as a forward so we have different options. I trust this squad 100 per cent," said Pellegrini, who could hand a full debut to record signing Kevin De Bruyne.

"We will see tomorrow if Kevin will start," he said. "We need to make one change with Kun [Aguero]. Kevin played very well the other day [against Palace]."

Juventus have endured a stuttering start to their Serie A title defence, collecting a solitary point from their first three matches after the close-season departures of key men Carlos Tevez, Andrea Pirlo and Arturo Vidal.

But Pellegrini is expecting a tough test against last season's Champions League finalists.

"We play a very strong Juventus," he said. "They reached the final last season and have won four titles in a row.

"Maybe Juventus didn't start very well in their league but this is a different competition. They will be motivated."

Pellegrini has steered City out of the group stage in each of the past two seasons before coming unstuck in consecutive last-16 ties against Barcelona.

Understandably, the Chilean is keen to avoid a similar fate this time around.

He added: "I hope we qualify from the group and then I hope we will have more luck not to face the strongest team in the last 16."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal 'not satisfied' with Memphis but backs winger to improve

memphis-depay_16voabfvtjloo1qv1r0gwgij0g.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Sep 14, 2015 18:49:24

The Netherlands international joined Manchester United in a £22.3 million deal in the summer but has yet to fulfill his potential, according to the former Barcelona manager

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal admits that he is not satisfied with the performances of summer signing Memphis Depay but has backed the winger to improve in the coming months.

United acquired Memphis for a fee of around £22.3 million from PSV Eindhoven and the 21-year-old has made seven appearances in all competitions thus far this season, scoring two goals.

Memphis is set to return to his former club in the Champions League on Tuesday and Van Gaal claims that the summer signing is yet to reach his full potential but believes the forward has the ability to thrive at Old Trafford.

"I think PSV is very difficult to beat in their home ground. The Eredivisie is younger and younger, that's why you have to be patient. That's how I have to be with Memphis, or [Jesse] Lingard, or [Adnan] Januzaj for that reason,” he told reporters.

“Players of 19, 20, 21 cannot be consistent. The Eredivisie is very nice to watch, the tactical solutions are nice to watch as well. But the EPL is difficult to play and Memphis is seeing that now.

"As a manager you are never satisfied, it's not so easy with the high rhythm in the PL. But he shall improve I think."

Fellow summer signing Anthony Martial made a goalscoring start to life at United, as he came off the bench to score the third goal in a 3-1 win over Liverpool on Saturday, and Van Gaal has called on supporters to be patient with both Memphis and the £58 million buy from Monaco.

"I have had only one day of training after the match and it was a light session because we have to play tomorrow, but his impression was good,” he said of the Frenchman.

“Also for him it's the same as for Memphis, you have to give him time and that's what I'm asking also from the fans because we cannot change the market price."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal not sure if Manchester United can compete in the Champions League

1867432_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Sep 14, 2015 18:46:00

The Dutchman says his players have to show that they can compete at the highest level but admits that he does not yet know if they will be capable of doing so

Louis van Gaal admits he is not yet sure if his Manchester United side can compete in the Champions League.

United will make their return in the competition after a one-year absence on Tuesday night when they take on PSV at the Phillips Stadion.

Van Gaal believes it is a "challenge" for his players to show they can compete at a level which he considers to be higher than the Premier League, but says it remains to be seen whether they can do so.

"I think the fans shall see a Man Utd that will fight for its chances," he told the press. "We will show on the pitch if we are able to win matches on the highest level, that's a challenge for us now.

"Last year we were fourth, we qualified this year, that was our aim. Now we have to show if we are good enough for that level, and I don't know, I have to see myself.

"I think the Champions League is a level above the Premier League but we will see."

Van Gaal also suggested David De Gea will continue as United's first-choice goalkeeper in the competition.

The Spain international signed a new four-year contract at Old Trafford last Friday following the collapse of his proposed summer transfer to Real Madrid, and he returned to the starting line-up for the home win against Liverpool.

Argentina international Sergio Romero had played United's first six games of the season as De Gea appeared to be closing in on a move to the Santiago Bernabeu, but now appears unlikely to see much first-team action.

Asked whether he would use two different keepers for domestic and European competition, Van Gaal replied: "No, I'm not a supporter of that. I always play my best team."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United confirm Rooney absence for PSV clash

14 September 2015 12:05

910581header.jpg

Manchester United have confirmed captain Wayne Rooney will miss Tuesday's UEFA Champions League trip to PSV.

Rooney, who last week became England's record goalscorer by netting his 50th international goal against Switzerland, sustained a hamstring injury in the build-up to Saturday's Premier League victory over Liverpool.

Manager Louis van Gaal admitted after the game it was unlikely Rooney would be fit and that was confirmed on Monday.

James Wilson and Andreas Pereira have been added to the 18-man squad which saw off Liverpool for the clash at the Philips Stadion.

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shaw suffers suspected broken leg during PSV - Man Utd clash

1928392_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Sep 15, 2015 20:05:00

The full-back was caught by Hector Moreno and replaced by Marco Rojo after suffering what seemed to be a serious injury in the Netherlands

Manchester United have been dealt a blow after Luke Shaw was stretchered off with a suspected broken leg in their Champions League clash against PSV.

The defender was caught by Hector Moreno in the 14th minute after he broke into the hosts' box, and play was delayed for around 10 minutes before he was eventually helped from the pitch.

Marcos Rojo came off the bench to replace the former Southampton left-back, with Louis van Gaal seen consoling his player as he left the pitch on his first-ever outing in the Champions League group stages.

The England international has been a key player for United this season, starting all seven matches to date as well as both of England's European Championship qualifying clashes.

This is not the first time Shaw has suffered injury problems in his time at Old Trafford after struggling for fitness during his first season with the 20-time Premier League champions.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale, Varane & Ramos all injured during Real Madrid-Shakhtar Champions League opener

1928552_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Sep 15, 2015 20:20:00

The 26-year-old winger was replaced by Mateo Kovacic after suffering a calf problem, while the defensive duo were also substituted after picking up knocks

Gareth Bale has been substituted during Real Madrid's Champions League clash with Shakhtar Donetsk after suffering a calf injury.

The Wales international was replaced by Mateo Kovacic after 32 minutes having gone down injured prior to Karim Benzema giving Rafael Benitez's side the lead in their group stage opener against the Ukrainian side.

Bale has made a solid start to the 2015-16 campaign with Madrid, scoring twice in the 5-0 win over Real Betis in August and providing three assists as Cristiano Ronaldo hit five in Saturday's 6-0 thumping of Espanyol.

The former Tottenham winger will now be assessed by Madrid medical staff in the next 48 hours and it remains to be seen if we will recover in time to face Granada in La Liga on September 19.

Raphael Varane, meanwhile, was also taken off after suffering a cut to his ankle, while skipper Sergio Ramos was another to be hit by injury, with the 29-year-old centre-back replaced by Nacho Fernandez after injuring his shoulder.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal frustrated by PSV defeat: We can only blame ourselves

louis-van-gaal-psv-manchester-united-champions-league-09152015_1p3zh3a0s8svh16wulyujldowa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Sep 16, 2015 07:18:33

The Red Devils boss believes his side were unlucky to concede two goals to the Eredivisie champions and claimed the Premier League outfit had done enough to win

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal believes his side only have themselves to blame for their 2-1 defeat to PSV.

The Red Devils returned to the Champions League after a year away on Tuesday but goals from Hector Moreno and Luciano Narsingh proved enough for the Eredivisie outfit after Memphis Depay had opened the scoring for the visitors.

The result was further marred by a broken leg suffered by Luke Shaw, but Van Gaal felt his side should have put the game to bed instead of allowing their opponents to get back into it.

"We can only blame ourselves, I think, because we created so many chances," he told reporters.

"After Tottenham I said you have to score one more than the opponent. PSV were very effective, scoring from nothing... a corner kick, a deflected ball, then scoring in the second half from a poor pass.

"We have dominated every game that we have played this season except PSG in preparation.

"We have dominated the game and had most of the chances. But we have lost. It's fantastic for PSV and their fans but we have lost."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Selling Van Persie and Hernandez was a mistake by Van Gaal - Scholes

15 September 2015 23:44

911540header.jpg

Paul Scholes believes Louis van Gaal made "a mistake" in letting Robin van Persie and Javier Hernandez leave Manchester United and claimed his old club are now short of attacking options.

United opened their Champions League group stage campaign with a 2-1 defeat at PSV on Tuesday in a game marred by a serious injury to Luke Shaw, the England full-back sustaining a double fracture of his right leg following a strong challenge from defender Hector Moreno.

Van Gaal's men enjoyed plenty of possession at the Philips Stadion but Anthony Martial, who started in attack, failed to replicate his debut goal against Liverpool on Saturday.

Scholes told BT Sport: "The one thing with the United squad now is that they're short of goals. Short of real top quality centre forwards who guarantee you goals. Van Gaal spoke last year about his squad being unbalanced and I think it's even more unbalanced now without top strikers.

"They've let three or four strikers go. I think if we'd have kept a Van Persie or a Hernandez it looks quite strong. They can score goals. Martial could be a real threat coming off the bench. I just think that's a mistake."

Memphis Depay got United's goal against his former club but headers from Moreno and, in the second half, Luciano Narsingh completed the turnaround.

With Wayne Rooney sidelined, United only have Martial and youngster James Wilson as recognised strikers. Van Persie left Old Trafford for Fenerbahce over the summer with Hernandez joining Bayer Leverkusen towards the end of the transfer window.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

I didn't mean to injure Shaw - Moreno

hector-moreno-luke-shaw-psv-manchester-united-champions-league-09152015_m5fh9s4n6man1askdunqojybl.jpg

By Matthew Sherry
Sep 15, 2015 23:32:03

The Mexico international admitted he was sorry that the incident had occured while his manager Phillip Cocu felt the severity of the injury affected his own side

PSV defender Hector Moreno has apologised to Luke Shaw for the challenge which broke the Manchester United player's leg but insists it was totally accidental.

Moreno's challenge in the 15th minute of the Group B clash prompted seven minutes of treatment, with Shaw eventually withdrawn on a stretcher while wearing an oxygen mask.

United subsequently confirmed the left-back suffered a double fracture in his right leg and will now fly back to Manchester for an operation.

And Moreno told SBS : "I feel really sorry for him and I feel really bad because I know how it's like.

"This happened to me as well during the World Cup [vs Netherlands]. I want to wish him all the best, but it wasn't my intention to injure him. I'd rather had it didn't happen."

His sentiments were echoed by PSV head coach Phillip Cocu, who admitted even his own team were affected by the severity of the injury.

"I felt very bad of course," he said. "It's a very bad injury.

"He's a great player, important for the team, and whenever any player goes off with this kind of injury it's unfortunate. Even our players were affected by it."

Cocu refused to be drawn on whether it was a poor challenge from Moreno, who went unpunished as referee Nicola Rizzoli opted not to award a penalty.

"It was not possible to see at the moment because there were a lot of players in the way. The one thing I saw was that the ball went in a different direction so he got something on the ball but I feel sorry for Luke."

Cocu could at least take heart from a fine win for his side, with goals from Moreno and Luciano Narsingh overshadowing Memphis Depay's opener to earn the points.

"I'm very happy, especially with coming from 1-0 down.

"We did well on the wings and took a lot of pressure from them. We stayed organised so they didn't have many chances and the fans were great. Those last 10 minutes were a great feeling."

Moreno added: "It was nice to score a goal. I promised my family and my girlfriend that I would score and now this has happened."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marco Silva urges Olympiacos to take Bayern chance

15 September 2015 19:53

911362header.jpg

Olympiacos coach Marco Silva has called on his players to be clinical as they prepare to launch their Champions League bid with a daunting assignment against Bayern Munich.

The Greek champions have started their domestic title defence with three wins from three outings this term but are likely to face an entirely different proposition against Pep Guardiola's team.

Nevertheless, Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Manchester United have all lost on trips to Piraeus over the past two seasons, and Silva insists he will not dwell on his side’s underdog status for the Group F opener.

"We're not thinking about advantages or disadvantages," he said. "We will start the game and do what we can to get the result we want.

"We know how to play against teams that keep possession and play with pace. We have to be ready to take our chances when they come.

"We have fantastic fans and we need their help. We will do our part."

Bayern head to Greece with a sizeable injury list, including wingers Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben, but Silva does not expect this to impact upon their performance.

"We have done our analysis and studied them very well," he added.

"We've seen many of their games. We know about their injuries but all big teams have alternatives."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Bayern target Champions League glory

15 September 2015 17:35

911295header.jpg

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has set his sights firmly on winning the Champions League ahead of Wednesday's opening game against Olympiacos.

The European trophy has evaded Guardiola since he took charge of Bayern in 2013, but he hopes it will be third time lucky for the Bundesliga champions.

"We will again try to win the Champions League this season," Guardiola said at a press conference when asked about his goals this term.

"But we should not forget that all the teams in the Champions League are very strong. A win against Olympiacos would be a good first step.

"But whether we win the Champions League or not will not be decisive in saying if this was a successful season."

Despite being favourites to win Group F, Guardiola – who won the Champions League twice as Barcelona's coach – is not taking Olympiacos lightly.

"Olympiacos are a strong team with some quality players," he added. "They are strong in defence, have fast wingers and have plenty of experience with Esteban Cambiasso."

Bayern last won the Champions League in 2012-13, when Jupp Heynckes guided them to a historic treble.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rummenigge: Ribery will be back in 2015

15 September 2015 11:38

911138header.jpg

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has backed Franck Ribery to make his comeback before the turn of the year.

The ex-France international has been out of action since March due to ankle and back problems and it remains uncertain when exactly he will return to match action.

However, Rummenigge remains optimistic that the 32-year-old will soon be back, even though he has acknowledged Ribery could still be unavailable for a number of weeks.

"I have no doubt about it that Franck will return to the pitch this year," Rummenigge told TZ.

"The first thing we need now is an exact diagnosis of the problem. It could still be a while, though."

Rummenigge then went on to discuss Bayern's Champions League match versus Olympiacos on Wednesday and warned that the Bundesliga champions cannot afford to take their opponents lightly.

"We cannot underestimate this group and Olympiacos. Big teams like Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United have already had some tough games here," he continued.

"But an experienced team like ours should keep their heads cool."

Bayern also face Arsenal and Dinamo Zagreb in Group F.

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Falcao ruled out of Maccabi clash but Oscar set for Chelsea return

15 September 2015 14:04

911198header.jpg

Chelsea striker Radamel Falcao has been ruled out of his side's Champions League opener against Maccabi Tel Aviv, although Oscar will make his return to the squad after more than a month out of action.

Manager Jose Mourinho also revealed defender Baba Rahman would make his debut against the side from Israel at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday following his arrival from Augsburg.

Falcao has come off the substitutes' bench in all five of Chelsea's Premier League matches in 2015-16 but will be missing with a "little problem", according to Mourinho.

Playmaker Oscar, 24, has not featured since suffering what was initially reported as a minor injury against Swansea City on August 8 - a 2-2 draw in which he scored - but he is now set to return.

"Falcao has a little problem," Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference. "He is not in the squad. He had a problem in a tendon during training. It will just be for this game."

On Oscar, the Portuguese coach added: "Is he fit as in not injured? Yes. Is he at top condition? No. He is selected though and he will be in the squad. Baba will be selected as well."

Mourinho is set to make changes to freshen up his starting XI for the game, but said that did not mean the players who come out of the line-up are in his bad books after a stuttering start to the season.

"I have a squad and I don't have to play with the same eleven," he said. "I am going to make a couple of changes to try a different dynamic and give a chance to players who aren't playing.

"I can make changes, but I know the consequences - if I make a couple of changes in my team, if I take out [Cesar] Azpilicueta, you will say I have a problem with Azpilicueta, if I take out [John] Terry, you will say I have a problem with Terry, if I take out [Cesc] Fabregas, you will say I have a problem with Fabregas."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maccabi good enough to beat Chelsea, warns Mourinho

15 September 2015 16:05

911250header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has warned his players that Maccabi Tel Aviv are good enough to beat them ahead of Wednesday's Champions League opener at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues go into the game as strong favourites despite their disastrous start to the defence of their Premier League title, that has left them 17th in the table after five matches.

But Mourinho revealed he was impressed by what he saw after doing intensive preparation on Chelsea's opponents from Israel.

"They are good enough to beat us," he said at his pre-match press conference.

"I respect them. I watched them play in many matches, I did my study, I know their team. I also had information that in the last week they have trained with a different system and will probably play five defenders.

"Watford did that last season with the same manager, so we prepare for both - for them playing their normal way and also ready if they come with five defenders. We know what to do. We trust ourselves and we think we can win the game, but respect is a good saying in football.

"We know we are a better team, we have to prove that in the game."

Mourinho urged his players to prove they still belonged at Champions League level but does not want to prioritise the competition over Chelsea's league endeavours.

He continued: "You have to go game to game. We know we are points behind in the Premier League but in the Champions League we know we need to qualify because it is important for the club economically and for us as professionals.

"We feel we belong to the Champions League not the Europa League and if we can get three points on Wednesday it would be a first step for us.

"It would be easy for me to say that [I prioritise the Champions League] but I cannot tell you something that is not true. We do not prioritise competitions."

Chelsea have a formidable record in the group stage, particularly at home. They have only lost one of their last 35 matches at Stamford Bridge in the initial stage of the competition.

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

There´s no anti-Messi plan, says Garcia

15 September 2015 15:51

911244header.jpg

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has stressed the Serie A outfit will have to deal with Lionel Messi as a team in Wednesday's Champions League encounter with Barcelona.

The Argentina international guided Barcelona to victory over Atletico Madrid at the weekend with a fine goal after coming off the bench, yet Garcia feels Roma cannot solely focus on the 28-year-old.

"There's no anti-Messi plan, just as there isn't one to stop [Luis] Suarez or [Andres] Iniesta," Garcia said at a news conference.

"You deal with that threat as a team, both offensively and defensively. We don't plan on defending all game. We know there will be times when we have to dig in but we also have to use the ball well to give the opposition a problem.

"We're running out of superlatives to describe Messi. He's one of - if not - the best in the world."

Garcia then went on to concede that Barcelona one of the best teams in the world, but he was quick to stress Roma will give their all to get a good result.

"We know Barcelona are a top side and the reigning European champions. They've won their first three league matches and there's no need to repeat all the praise they've been given," he continued.

"We know all about them. If they're not the best in the world, they're certainly up there.

"We'll play with humility tomorrow but also ambition. We want to qualify for the next round and to do so we'll need to perform as well as we can in all six games in order to pick up points."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma must deal with Barca and Messi - De Rossi

15 September 2015 16:58

911276header.jpg

Roma stalwart Daniele De Rossi has warned his team-mates of the dual threat they will be need to counter on Wednesday in the form of Barcelona and Lionel Messi.

The sides meet at the Stadio Olimpico in Group E of the Champions League on Wednesday as Luis Enrique returns to his former club with the defending champions.

Grouped alongside BATE and Bayer Leverkusen, Barca and Roma will be fancied to progress to the knockout stages, with De Rossi also warning of the need to avoid a repeat of the 7-1 mauling they suffered at the hands of fellow European heavyweights Bayern Munich last term.

"Barcelona are a special side in that, as well as being the best team, they also boast the best player around," he said on Tuesday.

"It's doubly difficult coming up against a team like the Blaugrana, as they have both a great playing style and exceptional individuals.

"Our aim is not simply to stop them but to work hard during the match and help one another out. Messi almost always beats a man, that's why we have to stay compact and organised.

"Last season's match against the Germans was an unusual game. But Bayern and Barcelona are definitely on a similar level.

"They're two of the most dominant teams in the world. Part of our efforts to qualify will be decided tomorrow. We know it will be important, as opposed to crucial, and we cannot think that it will have an impact on our position in the standings and our efforts in the league.

"Serie A and the Champions League are two separate things, just like last year, although it definitely hit us hard losing like that at home."

Luis Enrique endured a difficult 2011-12 season at Roma as the Italian side were eliminated in the Europa League play-offs by Slovan Bratislava before finishing seventh in the league.

"He resigned so we can't really blame the club. The 2011-12 season was a tricky campaign and people judged it in a certain way, as is often the case in Rome," De Rossi added.

"He also didn't get much support from the media because perhaps it didn't suit their agenda.

"Since he left, he's shown he's not a mug like many people made him out to be and he's been successful.

"Yes, he has a great squad to work with but I'm happy for him and his staff because they're lovely people. Besides tomorrow, I'll always cheer him on."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nuno wary of Hulk and Zenit quality

15 September 2015 17:47

911300header.jpg

Valencia coach Nuno Espirito Santo has identified Hulk as a major threat as his team prepare to host Zenit in their Champions League Group H opener.

The Brazil forward has scored five times in eight appearances for the Russian Premier League champions this season, including a penalty during Saturday's 2-2 with CSKA Moscow.

Nuno called on his team to be collectively wary of Hulk but also pointed to quality elsewhere in Andre Villas-Boas' line-up.

"Hulk, we know him perfectly," he told a press conference. "He has a lot of quality with great power and speed. What we have to do is be compact and supportive when he has the ball. But Zenit is not only Hulk.

"We know the opponent, their players and their process. They will be very competitive. They have great players and we have respect and humility for them.

"I know Andre, we are friends. We have talked a lot about football, but tomorrow he is my adversary."

Dani Parejo is relishing the occasion, particularly on the back of Valencia winning their first La Liga match this term at the weekend – a last-gasp 1-0 triumph at Sporting Gijon.

"For any player it is incredible to play in this competition," said the 26-year-old. "I know what it is about and what it takes.

"It is always important to win the match before [a European game], and especially since it was our first win in the league.

"We come here with much more confidence and the team is more united. The team has shown that we are like a family."