• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lampard in City's Champions League squad

Manchester City have named loan signing Frank Lampard in their 21-man Champions League squad for the season.

Frank%20Lampard%20of%20England.jpg

Saturday 6th September 2014

City are only permitted 21 names in the A squad rather than the usual 25 as a sanction for breaching UEFA's financial fair play regulations.

The restrictions also limited City to 16 non-homegrown players, but the departure of Alvaro Negredo to Valencia on Monday spared Manuel Pellegrini a difficult decision.

Serbian defender Matija Nastasic, strongly linked with a move away prior to Monday's transfer deadline, is not included in the A squad but will still be able to play matches as he was under 21 at the turn of the year and can be part of the B squad.

Squad: Hart, Caballero, Sagna, Kompany, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Mangala, Clichy, Demichelis, Boyata, Fernando, Milner, Nasri, Navas, Lampard, Silva, Fernandinho, Toure, Dzeko, Aguero, Jovetic.

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barzagli: Juventus not on the same level as Europe's elite

396978_heroa.jpg

Sep 5, 2014 14:48:16

The defender says that the Bianconeri cannot compete financially with the continent's top teams and says that they should thus follow the example of Atletico Madrid

Andrea Barzagli has admitted that Juventus are not on the same level as Europe's elite but insisted that they can still allow themselves to dream of winning the Champions League.

The Bianconeri were dumped out in the group stage of last season's tournament but the Italy defender has taken great encouragement out of Atletico Madrid's campaign.

The Rojiblancos do not have anything like the same budget as the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, yet they managed to reach the final of the Champions League and win La Liga.

"Not getting out of the group last year represented a huge disappointment," Barzagli told JTV's 'Filo Diretto'. "Now We're hoping to do better and at least get through to the next round.

"It will not be easy. The Champions League is tough and the gap between the top European clubs remains, given the investment that they have made.

"We're not on the same level but we can follow the example of Atletico Madrid, who were a minute from being champions of Europe last season.

"Therefore, we can also dream."

While Juventus have struggled in Europe, they have had no such problems in Italy and are currently bidding to win a fourth successive Serie A title.

However, even though the Bianconeri opened with a 1-0 win at Chievo, Barzagli is taking nothing for granted, particularly having watched last season's runners-up, Roma, kick off their 2014-15 campaign with a 2-0 defeat of Fiorentina.

"Roma is fresh from a great campaign and they have already had a good result," the defender mused. "They're the most formidable opponent.

"Inter have signed experienced players. Napoli also had a good transfer market.

"Milan can do well with Inzaghi and they have strengthened the squad a little.

"Lazio also had a great market, so we cannot underestimate anyone."

Barzagli, who joined Juve from Wolfsburg in 2011, is currently out injured but is expected to return to action in October.

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Champions League should be Juventus priority - Trezeguet

414309_heroa.jpg

Sep 7, 2014 10:11:44

The Turin legend believes that Serie A should play second fiddle to the club's efforts in Europe and claims to have played a part in convincing Paul Pogba to stay

Former Juventus striker David Trezeguet has called on the club to prioritise Champions League success over a fourth successive Scudetto.

Antonio Conte stepped down as Bianconeri boss this summer due to disagreements at board level, with former AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri stepping into his shoes.

The Frenchman, who played for the Serie A giants for 11 years between 1999 and 2010, thinks that European success has to be the primary goal for a team which has dominated Italian football for three years but failed to win the top continental prize since 1996.

"I would put aside the fourth consecutive league title to stake everything on a European triumph," Trezequet, 36, told Tuttosport. "Winning the Champions League gives you the knowledge that you are the strongest out there.

"Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona will be their main rivals. They know how to perform at the business end of the tournament.

"In Serie A, they're the favourites by far. They're a solid team, they've kept their core squad and they've strengthened. But sooner or later they'll make that leap in the Champions League, too."

The current Pune City striker also claimed that he played a part in convincing compatriot Paul Pogba to stay at Juventus this summer, despite reported interest from across top European clubs.

"I spoke to Pogba last season, I reminded how huge Juve are and advised to stay in Turin," he added. "He can only get better there."

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Boer: Suarez still loves Ajax

406067_heroa.jpg

Sep 9, 2014 20:21:08

The Dutch giants come up against the Uruguayan among several other former players and the coach believes he still has some attachment to the club
Bet
= Stade Rennais FCREN £65 Draw £42 Paris Saint-GermainPSG £15 Bet365

Ajax coach Frank de Boer believes Barcelona forward Luis Suarez still has love for the Dutch club and is looking forward to coming up against him and several other former players in the Champions League.

The Dutch champions have been drawn into Group F in the competition this season, alongside Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and Apoel Nicosia.

The draw will see the likes of former Ajax players Luis Suarez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Gregory van der Wiel and Maxwell face the Amsterdam side once again. And De Boer believes each player has developed well since they left Netherlands.

"Maybe Suarez still has love for the club. He gave us some very nice results," De Boer told Ajax's official website.

"Gregory van der Wiel is developing into one of the best right-backs in the world.

"Maxwell has so much experience; he won't be scared about a match at the highest level. He is in great form as well.

"And then there is Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He impresses every time, everywhere. I am sure that he will focus on winning the Champions League this season."

Ajax begin their campaign at home against PSG on September 17.

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Uefa considering Champions League seeding change

403630_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 18:16:01

The way in which clubs are seeded for future draws in the competition could be altered in order to favour domestic title holders

By Kris Voakes

Uefa has confirmed to Goal that it is in the process of reviewing the current system of seeding in the Champions League.

The current setup sees clubs drawn from particular pots based on co-efficient ratings derived from past performances in Europe by both the club in question and teams from the same country.

This has led to clubs often being seeded above the domestic champions from their country despite finishing as low as fourth in the previous league season. In the 2014-15 draw, Arsenal were seeded in pot one despite having to qualify through the play-offs, while English champions Manchester City were only in pot two.

But Uefa has admitted it is looking into a new approach to seeding participants in the Champions League, with a report by Mundo Deportivo on Thursday suggesting the revised format could see league champions given priority.

The Spanish outlet claims that the favoured proposal would see the competition’s holders and the domestic champions of the seven highest-ranked leagues being seeded. Should the Champions League be won by a team which also wins their national championship, the winner of the eighth-highest ranked country would join pot one.

Uefa and the European Clubs’ Association have met to discuss possible alternatives to the current seeding system, but the continent’s governing body adds that proposals are yet to reach their final phase.

“Changes to the seedings systems are being considered by Uefa,” a spokesperson told Goal. “Any proposal would have to be approved by the Executive Committee.”

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Casillas is my No.1, end of discussion - Ancelotti

444034_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 15, 2014 13:47:19

The coach, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Basel, insists there is no debate over whether Keylor Navas deserves to usurp the club captain

Carlo Ancelotti has insisted that Iker Casillas is his Real Madrid No.1 and is refusing to consider otherwise.

Last season, the club captain was used in cup competitions - the Champions League and Copa del Rey - while Diego Lopez played in goal in La Liga.

Lopez was sold this summer to AC Milan, however, with Levante and Costa Rica shot-stopper Keylor Navas brought in as competition for Casillas but so far he has been restricted to the bench.

Casillas was whistled at by sections of the Santiago Bernabeu in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to title rivals Atletico Madrid, and has been subject to intense scrutiny by pundits, but Ancelotti became irritated when asked if Navas would be given a chance to shine instead.

"The discussion of who our team's goalkeeper should be does not exist," he told reporters ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash at home to Basel. "I will not feed the debate going on in the media and online.

"The debate is closed for me, I want to be clear on that. Debates on who should play for my team do not exist.

"I will never speak of which goalkeeper I play this season.

"Casillas has experience and character so he knows how to react to get through a situation like being whistled."

Despite back-to-back defeats and only one win in five competitive matches this season, Ancelotti believes he has the strongest squad on the continent and intends to fix the issues which are frustrating the Champions League holders in 2014-15.

"The quality of this team is the best in Europe," the Italian added. "No player is in doubt about being here, everyone's happy to be playing for Madrid.

"I feel that, as a coach, my job is to fix things that are wrong with the team, as happened last year. Every game can be positive if you show a reaction.

"I think the problem is we need more consistency over 90 minutes. We need maximum concentration and to focus on small details.

"On the fitness side of things, we need more time to get our players into the best shape possible. Some players arrived on August 5 and need time to train."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo failed me in the Champions League - Mourinho

301990_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 15, 2014 08:28:00

The Chelsea boss has lamented how the forward did not score his penalty in the semi-final shootout in 2011-12 while he was in charge at Real Madrid

Jose Mourinho has laid his failure to win the Champions League with Real Madrid at the feet of Cristiano Ronaldo.

The coach joined Madrid in 2010 having just won the trophy with Inter, but a third success in the competition eluded the Portuguese as he could only reach three consecutive semi-finals in his three seasons at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The closest Mourinho and Ronaldo came to being crowned champions of Europe together was in 2011-12 when they took Bayern Munich to penalties after extra-time in the semi-final second leg, but failed efforts from Ronaldo, Kaka and Sergio Ramos saw them eliminated.

Mourinho left Madrid for Chelsea last summer, where he is gearing up for Wednesday's Champions League group-stage opener versus Schalke, but he has not forgotten how his regular penalty taker missed at the most crucial of stages.

"Winning the Champions twice as coach has made my career a special one," the former Porto boss told TVI24.

"I've been in several semi-finals too and some defeats were especially hard to take, such as the goal that did not exist against Liverpool [during his first Chelsea spell] in 2005 or on penalties in 2012 when our first-choice penalty taker [Ronaldo] went up first and failed."

Mourinho also dismissed suggestions that he could take over as Portugal boss following Paulo Bento's departure earlier this month, which he admits struck him as bizarre timing.

"They have not asked me if I want the job, but I would not accept," the 51-year-old added.

"I'm surprised with the situation though. It is not unheard of for a coach to be fired or to depart after one or two games, sometimes even in pre-season if it does not feel right. If there's not a connection there or if chances of success are minimal.

"But that's not the case here. If at the end of the World Cup, Bento had decided to leave or the Portuguese football association had chosen to get someone new, that would be normal. But at this point it is strange."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid are Champions League favourites, says Lahm

444361_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Sep 15, 2014 00:02:19

The former Germany international says the club's summer outlay, which included the signing of Toni Kroos from Bayern, makes them the side to beat in Europe

Bayern Munich skipper Philipp Lahm believes that Real Madrid enter this season's Champions League as favourites after winning the competition last year.

The Bundesliga champions were beaten 5-0 on aggregate by Carlo Ancelotti's side at the semi-final stage, despite having won the tournament the previous term.

The 30-year-old feels that the Spanish side will be the team to beat once more but is determined to add to his one winners' medal in the European Cup before he calls it a day.

"The club have strengthened an already-excellent team with a lot of money," he told Kicker.

"Real are certainly the team to beat. I want to win this trophy again. Whether with the squad we have this season or in the new three years, I want a shot at the title."

Bayern begin their bid to win the Champions League for the sixth time in their history with a clash against English champions Manchester City on Wednesday.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Basel: Break from La Liga woes for Ancelotti´s men

14 September 2014

651041header.jpg

Real Madrid will attempt to put aside underwhelming La Liga form as they begin their UEFA Champions League defence versus Basel on Tuesday.

Claims that Carlo Ancelotti's men lost their balance with the close-season departures of Angel di Maria and Xabi Alonso have been strengthened by a spluttering start to 2014-15.

Having begun this term with a Supercopa de Espana loss to neighbours Atletico, the European champions appeared to be back on track when easing past Cordoba 2-0 in their La Liga opener.

The promise gleaned from that sparked a remarkable spell where they pulverised Real Sociedad early in their next fixture, moving 2-0 inside 11 minutes.

However, that game ended in a shock 4-2 defeat, made worse when Atletico - who they beat in the Champions League final last season - left the Santiago Bernabeu with a 2-1 triumph on Saturday.

Real can at least now turn their attentions to Group B of European club football's elite competition as the Swiss champions come to town.

Leading the line for Ancelotti's men will be Cristiano Ronaldo, who scored in the Madrid derby to suggest he has fully recovered from a knee problem.

However, there are injury concerns with Sami Khedira set to be sidelined through a hamstring complaint, while Dani Carvajal (thigh) and Jese Rodriguez (knee) are doubts.

The weight of history is against Real, who are aiming to become the first team in the Champions League era to retain the iconic trophy.

However, they will take heart from the record books in this game, having won all 10 of their homes games versus Swiss opposition, scoring 42 goals and conceding just two.

Basel, though, are one of the only teams to find the net versus Real at the Bernabeu, when the sides met in the 1971-72 UEFA Cup first round.

The Spanish giants came from a goal behind to win 2-1 in Switzerland before sealing a 4-2 aggregate success.

Basel have enjoyed a solid start to their campaign, collecting six wins from eight games to sit top of Super League - albeit having played a game more than second-placed Zurich.

However, they head to Madrid following a disappointing 3-1 loss at Grasshopper on Saturday.

That was their second loss of this term, with St. Gallen the only other team to beat them.

Basel, who were eliminated during the group phase of last season's competition, have never progressed beyond the round of 16, which they reached in 2011-12.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool v Ludogorets: Five-time winners back in the Champions League

14 September 2014

651033header.jpg

Liverpool will attempt to overcome a mixed start to the season as they appear in the UEFA Champions League for the first time in five years.

A 1-0 home Premier League loss to Aston Villa on Saturday continued an indifferent beginning to the campaign for Brendan Rodgers' men, who have managed just six points from their first four games.

But the prospect of Europe's biggest competition returning to Anfield certainly offers cause for optimism, especially with Ludogorets representing a straightforward-looking opening fixture in Group B for the five-time winners.

The home fans will be buoyed, too, by Raheem Sterling's return to the starting line-up on Tuesday. The forward was surprisingly rested by Rodgers against Villa, only coming on as a second-half substitute.

"We have an exciting couple of months and this was a game I felt we could do that," Rodgers said. "If he didn't have international football then it would have been the case.

"He is a big player for us but we have built a squad here where I have to trust all the players but as a team and a squad we didn't deliver. He will certainly play on Tuesday night."

Sterling will no doubt relish the chance to showcase his skills in the Champions League for the first time, much like Rodgers - who embarks upon his maiden voyage overseeing a campaign in the competition.

"This game [versus Villa] has gone and we now have to focus on that," the Northern Irishman said. "There is nothing better than to get going again on Tuesday night in a competition we love. Hopefully we can start that competition with three points."

Liverpool's chances will be hampered by the absence of Daniel Sturridge, who will spend a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to a thigh injury.

He is one of many players to have missed the weekend's clash, with Emre Can (ankle), Martin Skrtel (knock) and Joe Allen (knee) sidelined along with Glen Johnson and Joe Flanagan (both thigh).

With just a three-day turnaround before Tuesday's encounter, all five are doubtful once more.

It will be a game of firsts for Ludogorets, who have never appeared in the tournament or played in England previously.

They reached this phase by coming through a tricky qualifying campaign, defeating Luxembourg's F91 Dudelange, Serbia's FK Partizan and Romanian side Steaua Bucharest.

Ludogorets have begun the Bulgarian season solidly, picking up 15 points in eight games to sit third in the table.

They will take on Liverpool amid something of a goalkeeping crisis, however.

First choice Vladislav Stoyanov is missing as he serves a one-match suspension, while his understudy, Ivan Cvorovic, has a shoulder injury.

That leaves coach Georgi Dermendzhiev relying on 23-year-old Georgi Argilashki, though defender Cosmin Moti was the unlikely goalkeeping hero when he saved two penalties in the shoot-out victory over Steaua Bucharest.

"Argilashki is a quality keeper," said Dermendzhiev. "He was part of the team for three years now and we can rely on him."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monaco v Bayer Leverkusen: Hosts eye positive amid awful start

14 September 2014

651125header.jpg

A UEFA Champions League campaign that promised great excitement starts under a cloud for Monaco against Bayer Leverkusen.

The French side delighted their fans by finishing second in Ligue 1 last year, in the process ending an eight-year exile from Europe's premier competition.

But the hope that greeted their achievement has been extinguished by an off-season of discontent.

Following the departure of James Rodriguez to Real Madrid, Monaco's supporters were left frustrated again as Radamel Falcao joined Manchester United in a deadline-day loan switch.

As if off-field issues were not bad enough, the club have also endured a miserable start on the pitch, picking up a mere four points from five games - including three defeats - under new head coach Leonardo Jardim.

Things, therefore, do not look rosy as Monaco begin their Group C campaign with Tuesday's visit of Leverkusen.

However, they will have a striker determined to make an impact in Dimitar Berbatov, who launched his career by scoring 68 times in 154 Bundesliga games for Leverkusen.

The Germans will be hindered by the absence of centre-back Kyriakos Papadopoulos, who dislocated his shoulder in training, while Simon Rolfes and Julian Brandt have missed out recently due to ankle injuries.

However, there is no doubt they enter the fixture with the kind of confidence that is in stark contrast to their opponents.

Indeed, Leverkusen have made a flying start to this term under new coach Roger Schmidt, with five successive wins preceding Friday's 3-3 Bundesliga draw with Werder Bremen.

Included in that quintet of triumphs were 3-2 and 4-0 scorelines against Copenhagen in the third qualifying round.

Leverkusen have enjoyed a rich vein of goalscoring form during those games, finding the net a total of 22 times.

Stefan Kiessling has shone in racking up nine goals, although five did come in a 6-0 thumping of minnows SV Alemannia Waldalgesheim in the DFB-Pokal first round.

The German side endured a mixed Champions League last time out, picking up their biggest win in the competition when beating Shakhtar 4-0 but also slipping to their largest defeat as they were hammered 5-0 by Manchester United.

But Leverkusen did still manage to reach the second round, where they were beaten 6-1 on aggregate by Paris Saint-Germain.

Monaco and Leverkusen have previously met in the 1997-98 group phase.

The French side emerged victorious in the home fixture, winning 4-0, but drew 2-2 on the road.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benfica v Zenit St. Petersburg: Battle of the high-fliers

14 September 2014

651251header.jpg

Two of Europe's form sides will meet in Group C of the UEFA Champions League when Benfica tackle Zenit St. Petersburg.

Both teams have enjoyed excellent starts to their respective domestic seasons and should be full of confidence ahead of Tuesday's fixture in Lisbon.

Benfica have collected 10 points from four Primeira Liga games and sit level on points with three other teams at the summit of Portugal's top flight.

Andre Villas-Boas' Zenit, meanwhile, have enjoyed an even more impressive run of results, winning their first seven Russian Premier League fixtures.

However, attacking midfielder Danny is well aware that Benfica will provide Zenit's biggest test of the campaign to date.

He said: "We will play in front of their fans and we are aware that it will be difficult but we have to play everywhere with the same mentality and the same quality that we are presenting. We cannot be afraid of anything; we just have to play like we know.

"We are excited, of course, but Benfica are also, having made a good game against Vitoria Setubal with an excellent result [a 5-0 away win].

"We're also a very strong team; we play our game and do the best we can to win."

Bayer Leverkusen and Monaco represent the other opposition in a seemingly tricky group, so an early victory would represent a welcome boost for Zenit or Benfica.

Zenit's Portuguese head coach Villas-Boas will be familiar with his side's first opponents, having previously taken charge of Porto and Academica in his homeland.

Villas-Boas' men, who will be without Viktor Fayzulin through suspension, had to come through qualifying to reach this stage, overcoming Limassol and Standard Liege.

Benfica, also missing a banned player in Andre Almeida, have not progressed beyond the group phase in the last two years, although they have gone on to reach the Europa League final in both campaigns.

They were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea in 2013 before falling on penalties against Sevilla last season following a goalless draw.

Zenit and Benfica met in the last 16 of the Champions League in 2011/12.

It was the latter who progressed, turning around a 3-2 away defeat by winning 2-0 at home to seal a 4-3 aggregate success.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galatasaray v Anderlecht: Unfancied pair meet in Turkey

14 September 2014

651387header.jpg

Galatasaray and Anderlecht will know the importance of claiming an early victory when they meet in Group C of the UEFA Champions League.

Qualification for the last 16 appears a tough ask for both teams after they were drawn alongside Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund.

Tuesday's fixture at the Turk Telekom Arena is therefore set to bring together two sides who can ill afford to drop points first up.

Galatasaray head coach Cesare Prandelli, who arrived to much fanfare in July after leaving his previous role as Italy head coach, is all too aware of the challenge that awaits.

However, the veteran Italian expects a raucous home crowd to aid his team.

Prandelli said: "We know it will be a difficult match. But the spectators we will be with us."

The new man in charge of Galatasaray has not enjoyed the start he would have liked.

A penalty shootout defeat to Fenerbahce in the Turkish Super Cup was followed by a 2-0 away win over Bursaspor, but Saturday's goalless draw with Eskisehirspor stemmed any momentum.

Galatasaray will be without the injured Semih Kaya, who recently tore his calf while on international duty.

The Istanbul club have not won any of their last four opening-night fixtures in the Champions League, with their worst reverse coming 12 months ago as Real Madrid cruised to a 6-1 success.

However, Galatasaray recovered to qualify for the last 16 on that occasion and are partaking in the group stages for the 13th time.

Anderlecht will hope to provide stern opposition following a strong start to their domestic campaign.

The Belgian outfit boast 15 points from seven games in the Pro League and sit top of the table despite drawing 2-2 with struggling Lierse last time out.

However, they will be hampered by the absences of Fabrice N'Sakala and Silvio Proto - who are serving one-game suspensions.

Anthony Vanden Borre looks set to be sidelined, too, as he continues his rehabilitation from a torn calf muscle sustained at the recent FIFA World Cup with Belgium.

Anderlecht will take confidence from a decent record in Turkey, having won two, drawn one and lost two of their five contests in the country.

Like their opponents, they are competing at this stage for the third season in succession, although Anderlecht managed only a solitary point in a disappointing campaign last time out.

Indeed, Anderlecht have finished bottom in all seven of their group campaigns since reaching the second round in 2000-01.

The teams last met in the 1976-77 European Cup Winners' Cup, when Anderlecht triumphed 10-2 on aggregate after winning each leg 5-1.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus v Malmo: Allegri´s men aiming to crack Europe

14 September 2014

650911header.jpg

Juventus' quest to transfer exceptional Serie A form to the UEFA Champions League will restart when they take on Malmo in Group A.

Despite winning the Italian title in each of the last three seasons, the Turin giants have failed to make an impact in Europe's premier competition recently.

Although they made it to the quarter-finals in 2012-2013, Juventus were frustratingly eliminated in the group phase last time out - meaning it is now 11 years since they reached the last four.

They will be hoping to flip the script this year under new head coach Massimiliano Allegri, who has enjoyed a perfect start having taken the reins following the much-loved Antonio Conte's shock resignation.

A 1-0 season-opening away win at Chievo was followed up by a 2-0 triumph over Udinese.

That Juventus have begun so well is even more impressive in light of their mounting injury problems.

Arturo Vidal (thigh), Andrea Pirlo (hip) and Giorgio Chiellini (calf) all missed the weekend's game - while Andrea Barzagli (Achilles) was an unused sub - and it remains to be seen if any of them return on Tuesday.

Juventus, who are two-time winners of the competition, will also be without Roberto Pereyra as he serves a one-match suspension.

The Italians will still be favourites to kick-off the campaign with a win as they bid to get their hands back on a trophy which they last lifted in 1996.

Juventus have lost three finals since then, beaten by Borussia Dortmund in 1997, Real Madrid in 1998 and Milan in 2003.

The game represents a historic occasion for not just Malmo, but Swedish football overall.

Indeed, Malmo - who were beaten by Nottingham Forest in the 1978-79 European Cup final - are the first Swedish representatives in the competition proper since 2000-01.

Malmo's last appearance was in 1990-91, when they reached the second round before losing on penalties to Dynamo Dresden.

They have not had an easy passage to the group phase this year, having been forced to come through a rigorous qualifying campaign.

The Swedes won three ties, beating FK Ventspils 1-0 on aggregate, taking down Sparta Prague on away goals following a 4-4 draw and overcoming FC Salzburg 4-2.

Malmo are already a long way into their domestic campaign, with 23 games having been played.

Age Hareide's side currently top the pile in the Allsvenskan, sitting five points clear of an AIK side who have a game in hand. However, they have managed just one win in their last four league games.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Olympiacos v Atletico Madrid: Simeone´s men on crest of a wave

14 September 2014

650893header.jpg

Last season's runners-up Atletico Madrid will begin their UEFA Champions League campaign on a high after defeating Real Madrid on Saturday.

Diego Simeone's men were the surprise package of the 2013-14 competition, reaching the final in which they were beaten 4-1 after extra time by neighbours Real.

But the scoreline did not tell the full story of a game that Atletico led 1-0 until the 93rd minute, when Sergio Ramos' last-ditch equaliser forced extra minutes.

Real took control thereafter with Simeone's side ultimately denied a remarkable double having won La Liga for the first time since 1996.

A close-season exodus followed when the likes of Diego Costa left the club, although Atletico responded by doing some shrewd business of their own.

And Simeone's side have not skipped a beat, following up a two-legged Supercopa de Espana win over Real by picking up seven points from their first three La Liga games.

So impressive have their efforts been that some have suggested that this team is stronger than the one that finished last term.

"I had to say if this team is better or worse because we have different players," said talismanic centre-back Diego Godin.

"Things change but the important thing is that the team continues with the same mentality. That's the key."

The most impressive of those performances came on Saturday, when Arda Turan's goal secured a 2-1 La Liga triumph at the Santiago Bernabeu.

It is, therefore, with huge confidence that Atletico head to Greece to face an Olympiacos side on Tuesday who have also begun this season with two wins and a draw domestically.

The Spanish side will certainly glean plenty of confidence from last term, when they went unbeaten in all six away games - including eye-catching wins against Porto, Milan and Chelsea.

But Olympiacos are dominant at home, epitomised by them winning 16 of their 17 league fixtures at the Karaiskakis Stadium in 2013-14.

Atletico have concerns over the fitness of Cristian Rodriguez, who missed the Real game through a calf injury sustained when on international duty with Uruguay.

The Greek champions are likely to be without Giannis Maniatis, who has been sidelined since August 30 with a left ankle sprain, although Dimitris Siovas is edging towards a comeback from a long-term injury.

Group A rivals Olympiacos and Atletico last met in the European Cup Winners' Cup quarter-finals in 1992-93, when the Spaniards prevailed 4-2 on aggregate.

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borussia Dortmund - Arsenal Preview: Gunners begin Champions League campaign against familiar foes

456134_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Sep 15, 2014 09:17:00

Both sides emerged out of the same group last season but Arsene Wenger insists recent meetings between the two clubs will have no impact on Tuesday's fixture

Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal will renew acquaintances when the Champions League group stage begins on Tuesday.

The two sides have been drawn in the same group for the second season in succession, with both having qualified for the knockout stages last term.

Aaron Ramsey scored the only goal as Arsenal won in Dortmund last season after the Bundesliga club had claimed a 2-1 win at the Emirates Stadium in October.

The defeat at Signal Iduna Park was Dortmund's first at home against an English opponent in European competition.

They went on to lose to eventual champions Real Madrid in the quarter-finals, while Arsenal were eliminated a round earlier by Bayern Munich.

But Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger says the recent meetings between the sides will have no bearing on this season's Group D showdowns.

"It is not an advantage, it is not a disadvantage, it is just a new fight every time," the Frenchman told reporters. "They are a different team today and England versus Germany are always fierce battles."

Arsenal have made an underwhelming start to the Premier League season, following up their opening-day victory over Crystal Palace with three consecutive draws against Everton, Leicester City and reigning champions Manchester City.

Dortmund, meanwhile, have registered back-to-back victories after suffering a shock 2-0 home defeat to Bayer Leverkusen in their first Bundesliga fixture of the new campaign.

Shinji Kagawa - re-signed from Manchester United before the transfer window closed - marked his return to the club with a goal and an assist in a 3-1 win against Freiburg on Saturday, and could come up against former United team-mate Danny Welbeck on Tuesday after the striker made a deadline-day move to Arsenal.

Mathieu Debuchy was carried off on a stretcher with an ankle injury during Arsenal's draw with Manchester City on Saturday, but was set to miss the Dortmund clash already due to suspension.

The Frenchman's absence is likely to open the door for Calum Chambers to make his Champions League bow. The defender - signed from Southampton during the summer - has already made his England debut this season, coming off the bench during the 1-0 friendly victory over Norway earlier this month.

Theo Walcott (knee) is nearing a return to fitness but will not be available.

Dortmund currently sport a lengthy injury list and will be without Ilkay Gundogan (back), Marco Reus (ankle), Jakub Blaszczykowski (thigh), Nuri Sahin (knee) and Oliver Kirch (thigh) for this week's encounter.

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zenit won't be overconfident - Villas-Boas

404629_heroa.jpg

Alec Fenn
Sep 16, 2014 00:13:16

The Portuguese has guided his side to a wonderful start to their Russian Premier League season but is insistent they will not get carried away

Andre Villas-Boas says there is no chance Zenit St Petersburg will be guilty of overconfidence in their Champions League opener against Benfica on Tuesday night.

The Portuguese has guided his side to seven straight victories at the start of the Russian Premier League season and returns to his homeland looking to transfer that form to the European stage.

"We should understand that when this (a defeat) does happen, it won't be because we were too overconfident or anything like that," Villas-Boas said.

"It will be because our opponent was better than us and then you just have to jump right back again and show that you are stronger. We have five matches in September, including the Champions League and a derby with Spartak (Moscow) and if we manage to play as we have been, then we have a chance of getting some great results."

Javi Garcia, Axel Witsel and Ezequiel Garay will all face former club Benfica but Villas-Boas has refused to rule out making changes to his side after a tough 3-2 victory over Dynamo Moscow in their last outing.

"We'll see," he continued.

"We have a tough match up ahead in the Champions League, then a match against Spartak, and between them a meeting with Anzhi, and we want to stay in the Russian Cup. We'll see how this all develops."

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Scholes: Liverpool are Champions League dark horses

456418_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Sep 16, 2014 11:23:00

The Reds will end a five-year absence from Europe's elite club competition when they welcome Bulgarian champions Ludogorets to Anfield on Tuesday

Paul Scholes believes Liverpool are an outside bet to win the Champions League on their return to the competition this season.

Liverpool are preparing for their first fixture in Europe's elite club tournament since the 2009-10 campaign, with Bulgarian minnows Ludogorets the club's first Group B opponent at Anfield on Tuesday.

The Merseyside giants have history in the competition, having won it on five occasions, and former Manchester United midfielder Scholes believes their famed home support might again prove a big asset.

"Liverpool are the dark horse of the competition this year," Scholes told ITV. "Brendan Rodgers has done a fantastic job. The style of play he's adopted is exciting to watch and the players seem to have taken to him.

"I feel they will do well with the players they have. The big advantage they have is a home crowd. Anfield is always a hostile place to go, which is something Manchester City lack."

Defending champions Real Madrid are also in Group B, along with Swiss champions Basel.

Real are out to create history by becoming the first team in 25 years to retain the trophy but Scholes believes the La Liga club's decision to part ways with Angel Di Maria and Xabi Alonso has opened the door for the Premier League contingent.

"I think one of the English teams has the potential to win it this year but they have to get past Real Madrid," said the 39-year-old. "If you would have asked me before Real sold Di Maria and Alonso, two major influences in the team, I would have said no.

"Now I think they could be beatable. I believe an English team could win it this year."

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool are no Champions League tourists

456524_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Sep 16, 2014 14:51:00

The club make their return to the competition on Tuesday night for the first time in four years, but their manager insists their history means they are still a big threat

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists his side will not be "tourists" on their return to the Champions League.

The five-time winners will take part in Europe's elite club competition for the first time since the 2009-10 season, and begin with the visit of Ludogorets on Tuesday.

Rodgers, whose side also share Group B with Real Madrid and Basel, says Liverpool are ready for the challenge.

"We are not tourists in this competition - we believe it is where we belong and where we should be playing," he told reporters.

"For the players and everyone involved it's something that brings the real excitement, but it isn't a 'giddy' excitement.

"We are Liverpool, we are five times winners of the European Cup and we are synonymous with its best traditions. Our players are excited, not daunted."

The 41-year-old also says his side's participation in Europe's premier competition has started to sink in this week.

"It hits home as soon as you actually see ourselves back in the Champions League how much it can be missed," he added.

"I looked at the footballs yesterday. Little simple touches like that lets you know this is where this club has to be.

"It went through a great period for many years at that level and then to be out of it - the struggles it brings when you’re not in it as well.

"We're building here and still a work in progress in many aspects of the football team and the club.

"I think it’s difficult to get in it and it will be even harder to stay in it. I think that’s the reality of where it's at."