• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hernandez: A benched player is an unhappy player

1340732_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 22:41:00

The Mexican was dropped by Carlo Ancelotti for their loss at Juventus and, despite being gutted at not starting in Turin, he thinks the Blancos can still make the final

Javier Hernandez has expressed his frustration at being returned to the bench for Real Madrid's 2-1 defeat to Juventus on Tuesday.

The Mexico international had scored four goals in his last six games for the reigning European champions but was benched in Turin's semi-final first leg, with head coach Carlo Ancelotti favoruing the fit-again Gareth Bale up front alongside Cristiano Ronaldo.

The decision backfired on the Italian, with Bale putting in a panned performance, and Hernandez was unable to make a goalscoring impact when he was brought on in the 63rd minute.

"You have to respect all decisions, even being benched," the striker, on loan from Manchester United for the season, told TVE. "I must stay professional. I'll always be... Look, a benched player is not a happy player.

Real Madrid were 2-1 down by the time Hernandez entered the fray, with Alvaro Morata and Carlos Tevez scoring either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo header, but the 26-year-old is convinced the Blancos can triumph in the second leg and reach the final in Berlin next month.

"The mood is negative as we lost, but we fought until the end," he added. "We just have to win 1-0 and we'd be through to the final. We have to take it on the chin and learn from this for the second leg.

"The coach asked us to play with the same attitude we're showing in La Liga. But it's a game of two teams, and they had the home advantage and plenty of additional motivation to win.

"Tomorrow we'll have to digest this defeat and think about the next Liga game against Valencia."

Real Madrid remain two points behind Barcelona ahead of Saturday's testing home tie against Valencia, who are fourth in the Primera Division with three games to go and desperately fighting for a Champions League place.

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Madrid paid price for lack of patience against Juventus

1340512_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 21:56:00

The former Bianconeri boss admitted his side had underperformed in the first leg in Turin but remains confident they can get through to the final

Carlo Ancelotti blamed a lack of patience and quality for Real Madrid's Champions League semi-final defeat at Juventus on Tuesday.

The visitors were sloppy throughout and eventually succumbed to a 2-1 first-leg loss thanks to an Alvaro Morata tap-in and a Carlos Tevez penalty either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo header.

Ancelotti, going up against his former club, was disappointed with the outcome but remains confident his side will progress to next month's final in Berlin by winning next week's second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Madrid coach told TVE: "The game could have gone better for us. We tried but not always with the right quality or efficiency.

"We tried to have control of the game. We had bad luck as well because we could have scored to make it 2-1 but instead we conceded. It does not leave us happy but we still have the confidence that we can come back.

"We lost patience. The game did not start well, we left space between the lines which cost us a goal. Then we played well. We tried to continue [in that vein] but we could not."

Ancelotti again played central defender Sergio Ramos in midfield - a tactic that worked so well in the second leg of the quarter-final against Atletico Madrid - but the Spain international struggled to make any kind of positive impact.

"It was not just a bad game for Ramos," the Italian trainer said. "We lost precision passing out of defence too. The match seemed straightforward when we were playing well. But Juve are dangerous on the counterattack."

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid scalp just reward for Juventus - Allegri

1340672_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 23:13:00

The Bianconeri coach was thrilled with the performance of his side against the reigning European champions in Turin but was disappointed that they did not win by a bigger margin

Massimiliano Allegri has hailed the 2-1 triumph over Real Madrid as a "just reward" for Juventus' efforts in Tuesday's semi-final first leg.

The Bianconeri had only lost one of their last 53 competitive games on home soil (in addition to 46 wins and eight draws) and continued their excellent run of results in front of their own fans courtesy of goals from Alvaro Morata and Carlo Tevez, with Cristiano Ronaldo's headed eqauliser sandwiched in between.

Fernando Llorente had a gilt-edged chance to make it 3-1 late on but he headed straight at Iker Casillas from Andrea Pirlo's teasing free kick.

However, that was the only quibble Allegri had after a rousing performance from his side against the reigning European champions.

"I am delighted with how my players played," the former AC Milan boss told Sky Sport. "This is the just reward they deserved as it’s not easy to reach the Champions League semi-final, and especially not easy to play against Real Madrid.

"We played with brilliant intensity and allowed Real Madrid very little leeway.

“It’s a shame we didn't win by more - we could have done better with the Llorente chance, but I’d have definitely taken a win over Real Madrid before kick-off.

"I can only take my hat off to the players. Now we will prepare for the game for a week so we can fight it out in Madrid."

Juve host Cagliari in a meaningless Serie A match on Saturday - as they won the league last weekend - before travelling to the Santiago Bernabeu for the second leg of their semi-final on Wednesday.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Morata: Home win means nothing against Real Madrid

1339902_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 23:29:00

The former Blancos forward was buoyed by the Bianconeri's 2-1 win in Turin but pointed out that next week's return clash at the Bernabeu will be far more "dangerous"

Alvaro Morata has pleaded with his Juventus team-mates not to get carried away by their 2-1 victory over Real Madrid in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

The 22-year-old forward tapped in the opener for Massimiliano Allegri's men in Turin against the club with whom he became a European champion last season before being sold to the Bianconeri for €20 million.

Cristiano Ronaldo equalised for Carlo Ancelotti's side before Carlos Tevez secured the win for Juventus but Morata thinks it would be foolish to think they are any nearer to next month's Champions League final in Berlin.

"I'm happy, we've won, which is always very difficult against Real Madrid," the Spain international told TVE.

"It was a good result, but we have to work because Madrid are the best in the world in my opinion and it will be difficult to eliminate them.

"When you win it is always good. Yes, it's good result. But at the Santiago Bernabeu it will be much more dangerous and we have to work hard this week to have a chance.

"Against Madrid you have no advantage. We know their players and the second leg awaits us."

Morata also discussed his decision not to celebrate his strike, which he says was out of respect to the club who fashioned him into a professional footballer, but stressed that his loyalties now lie with the Italian champions.

"I'll never said a bad word about Real Madrid, I'm very fond of the club who raised me," he added. "Some people are looking for things that are not there.

"I always said I would not celebrate if scored against them because I want Madrid to always win - except for when they're facing me. I am grateful to the coach and the club but now I am with Juventus; they are my club now."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Madrid have to go out and kill Juventus in second leg - James

1325532_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 23:46:00

The Colombian is confident the Santiago Bernabeu faithful can roar their side through to the final next Wednesday, arguing that the Blancos were unlucky to lose in Turin

James Rodriguez has called on Real Madrid to go out and "kill" Juventus in their Champions League semi-final, second leg on Wednesday week.

Los Blancos will go into the return fixture 2-1 down on aggregate after an early Alvaro Morata strike and a second-half Carlos Tevez penalty - either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo header - earned the Bianconeri victory in Tuesday's opener in Turin.

However, James is still confident the defending champions will still reach the final in Berlin, believing that the Santiago Bernabeu faithful could make the difference on the night.

The Colombia international told TVE: "The result is not bad, we have to have faith. We are at home with our fans in the stadium. The Bernabeu has to get behind us.

"We have to recover and think about next week, because it will be hard. They are going to be back defending, they are strong but we must have faith. We have to go out and kill them.

"The tie is level. We have to go out and win. I think Real will get to the final."

James felt Madrid did not get the breaks at the key moments at Juventus Stadium and it was the former Monaco man who was most out of luck when he headed an Isco cross against the bar four minutes before half-time.

"If you see some of the decisive moments, they had a bit of luck," the attacking midfielder added. "I saw the ball hit the bar and I think their defender got a touch."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arda Turan takes a swipe at Real Madrid

daniel-carvajal-carlos-tevez-juventus-real-madrid-champions-league-05052015_1xiakej10adu61b4xww4rym83r.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 6, 2015 00:02:00

The Atletico ace took to Twitter to feign shock at Martin Atkinson not sending off Dani Carvajal, given the official had dismissed him for similar offences last month

Atletico Madrid midfielder Arda Turan mocked the decision not to dismiss Dani Carvajal during Real Madrid's 2-1 defeat to Juventus.

The Champions League semi-final first leg was level at 1-1 in Turin early in the second half on Tuesday when Carvajal clumsily fouled Carlos Tevez in the area, allowing the Argentine to dispatch the subsequent spot kick and secure all three points.

The Spanish right-back escaped a booking and referee Martin Atkinson's decision riled Arda - who was sent for an early shower by the same official in Atletico's last-eight second leg against Carlo Ancelotti's men in April for two bookable offences.

The Turkey international wrote on his official Twitter account: "Funny that the referee who gave me two yellow cards is applying the same rules as the referee who didn't give two yellow cards to Carvajal, isn't it?"

Capture.jpg

Real Madrid ultimately finished their latest Champions League clash with all their players on the pitch but will head into next Wednesday's clash at the Santiago Bernabeu 2-1 down on aggregate.

Bayern Munich or Barcelona will be Madrid or Juve's opponents in the Berlin showpiece on June 6, with Pep Guardiola's current and former clubs going head-to-head this Wednesday at Camp Nou.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tevez has Manchester United blood - Evra

carlos-tevez-juventus-real-madrid-champions-league-05052015_1tmchhkyxoti4197jlb9pzbc7s.jpg

By Tom Maston
May 6, 2015 00:31:00

The Argentina international netted the winner for Juventus in their Champions League semi-final victory over Real Madrid, and the full-back was thrilled for his team-mate

Juventus defender Patrice Evra believes Carlos Tevez's time at Manchester United has made him a champion capable of match-winning contributions.

Tevez won and scored the second-half penalty that sealed a 2-1 victory for the Serie A outfit in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid.

And Evra, who played alongside the Argentine striker at Old Trafford, feels the winning attitude instilled in him with the Red Devils has proved to be hugely important in his growth as a player.

"Carlos Tevez is like myself: United blood," he told ITV Sport. "He's a champion and he's working hard, he's a very good professional.

"I was very pleased to see him again and of course he's had a fantastic year, but like you say we want to win this Champions League.

"We have done good stuff, in the first leg of the semi-final, and we need to make sure we get ready for the second leg.

"It's going to be difficult but of course I'm really pleased for Carlito because he's a massive professional."

Evra and Tevez were both part of the United side that won the Champions League in 2008, but the France full-back feels there are differences between that team and the squad Massimiliano Allegri has put together in Turin.

"United will remain United, Juventus is Juventus. Different team but they have a massive story as well and that's why we have to respect."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sergio Ramos admits: I played poorly against Juventus

1340502_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2015 00:18:00

The Spaniard, who again played in midfield in the absence of Luka Modric, is unhappy with how he performed in Turin but thinks Los Blancos can turn the tie around

Sergio Ramos has accepted that he played poorly as Real Madrid were defeated 2-1 by Juventus in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

The Spaniard, a defender by trade, continued his recent redeployment in central midfield as a result of the injury-induced absence of Luka Modric.

Ramos was slammed for constantly giving away possession in a "dreadful display" as goals from Alvaro Morata and Carlos Tevez either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo header gave the hosts the win they craved.

The makeshift midfielder admitted it was not a game he or the rest of his Madrid team-mates would look back upon fondly, but stressed the semi-final remains very much winnable for the reigning European champions.

"It was a bad game in general. I played poorly, but this does not worry me," Ramos told reporters after the game. "I trust coach Carlo Ancelotti and he trusts me.

"There is still a second leg to go and we can turn the tie in our favour. In this position - midfield - we run more, but I will not highlight any individual error of anyone.

"It won't be hard at all to play better at the Santiago Bernabeu next Wednesday than we did today. I'm sure everything will change. Giving up is not my nature, it's not philosophy and it's not in DNA."

Before clashing with Massimiliano Allegri's side in next Wednesday's decider in Madrid, Ancelotti's men will host Valencia in a difficult Liga clash as they look to keep pace or close the gap on leaders Barcelona with three games to go.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramos: Real Madrid one step from Champions League final

sergioramos-cropped_1f22mepuiv2ks1p8h300ttbr38.jpg

May 6, 2015 07:54:55

The Spain international has admitted things didn't go as planned for the titleholders against Juventus, but he remains confident they will make it to the final

Sergio Ramos feels Real Madrid are well placed to make it to the Champions League final despite their 2-1 semi-final first-leg defeat to Juventus on Tuesday.

Goals from Alvaro Morata and Carlos Tevez either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo strike saw Madrid leave Turin empty-handed, yet the defender remains confident the reigning champions can make it to next month's showpiece.

"It's by no means a good result, but we have the bonus of playing the second leg at home to help us improve things that didn't go well. We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu," Sergio Ramos told the official Madrid website.

"It was one of those days when things don't go for you from the opening minutes. After a bad result you have to stay calm and more united than ever. Making mistakes is part of the game and we have to be self-critical and improve so that things go as we'd like at the Bernabeu.

"Juventus are favourites looking at the result, but we have the bonus of playing at home. We ask the fans to make a unique effort to create the atmosphere of the previous match and to spur us on to make it to Berlin.

"Unity is what's going to make the team pick itself up. We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu."

The return at the Santiago Bernabeu will take place on May 13.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Madrid could not cope with superb Juventus, says Lichtsteiner

llorente-juventus-real-madrid-champions-league-0505201_1qhtpx8m2ebjw16i94hw6bgqt1.jpg

Stefan Coerts
May 6, 2015 08:52:14

The Switzerland international was overjoyed with his side's win and wants to see more of the same in the second leg at the Bernabeu

Stephan Lichtsteiner has voiced his delight with Juventus' 2-1 Champions League win over Real Madrid and feels the Serie A champions' superb organisation made the difference in the first leg of the semi-final tie.

Alvaro Morata gifted Juventus the lead early on before Cristiano Ronaldo equalised. However, Carlos Tevez eventually helped Massimiliano Allegri's men to a vital home win with his second-half strike.

Lichtsteiner was overjoyed with his side's performance and has called for a repeat in the second leg.

"We definitely gave them a tough time. I don’t think they’re used to playing against an organised team like us," the Switzerland international told reporters.

"We can be happy with the performance and result, we put in a fine display.

"Madrid possess top players who can make the difference if you don’t stay alert. It’s impressive how good they are, but we were excellent.

"It’s important we show more of the same in Madrid."

The return fixture at the Santiago Bernabeu will take place on May 13.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marcelo: Madrid not worst team in the world all of a sudden

cristiano-ronaldo-juventus-real-madrid-champions-league-05052015_1xksj1dadc59k1qor4lap1env9.jpg

Stefan Coerts
May 6, 2015 11:34:36

The Brazil international feels Tuesday's defeat does not change anything for the reigning European champions and remains hopeful of reaching the final

Real Madrid defender Marcelo has warned people not to write off the Santiago Bernabeu side after their 2-1 Champions League loss against Juventus on Tuesday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men were widely regarded as the favourites ahead of the first leg of the semi-final tie, but their poor performance in Turin sees them in real danger of missing out on a spot in the final in Berlin.

Nevertheless, Marcelo remains optimistic ahead of next week's second leg and feels Madrid still have every chance of turning things around.

"We weren't the best team of all time before this game nor are we the worst after it," the Brazil international told the official Madrid website.

"It was a bad result because we wanted to win, but it's still wide open and we'll do better in the second leg.

"Juventus are a great side, they wanted to have the ball. We didn't have the best performance, but we'll have to wait for the second leg.

"Our fans always get behind us and support us. We know that the boss has confidence in our ability, we know what we're capable of doing in each match."

The return at the Bernabeu will take place on May 13.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ribery to miss second leg against Barcelona

franck-ribery-bayern-munich-injury-11032015_1hcbhyjeat7jq1039xv6ot0zdr.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 6, 2015 21:06:00

The winger has confirmed he will not be ready to play at the Allianz Arena next week and says he sick of the problem with his foot

Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery has confirmed he will miss the Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona.

The former France international has not featured for the German champions since injuring his ankle in the 7-0 thrashing of Shakhtar Donetsk in the last 16 of the competition.

Having been ruled out of the trip to Camp Nou, Bayern were hoping to have Ribery back in time for the return leg at the Allianz Arena on May 12, but the 32-year-old is still wearing a protective boot and is unable to run or train fully.

"I am very sad, I wanted to achieve big things," he told Kicker. "I worked hard for my comeback but my ankle did not heal. I am sick of it."

Pep Guardiola's side has been devastated by injuries throughout the campaign and a number of key players are unavailable for the first leg with Barcelona.

Ribery, Arjen Robben, David Alaba and Holger Badstuber are sidelined, while Robert Lewandowski played wearing a protective mask after breaking his nose and jaw against Borussia Dortmund.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inspired Messi proved Guardiola was right, says Pique

1345172_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2015 22:12:00

The Barcelona defender revelled in his team-mate tearing Bayern Munich apart but says his side will still go to Germany with the intention of winning the second leg

Gerard Pique believes Pep Guardiola was proven right when he said Lionel Messi is unstoppable following the Barcelona No.10's barnstorming performance against Bayern Munich Wednesday.

After a goalless first half, Messi's fierce shot broke the deadlock in the Champions League semi-final first leg before a sublime run and chip doubled his side's advantage.

Ahead of the clash at Camp Nou, Guardiola had claimed no defensive system could be put in place to stop his former pupil and Pique was delighted to see his old boss proven right.

"Guardiola was right, I knew an inspired Messi would be impossible to stop," the former Manchester United centre-back told Canal Plus.

"We played a sensational match. Defensively we were strong and, though in the first half we struggled, we smashed them on the counterattack in the second half. We took advantage of our chances.

"We continued our habit this year of conceding few goals. At the Allianz Arena it will be tight, but let's go there to win again. Barca only know how to win."

Neymar scored the final goal of the first leg in stoppage time to leave Bayern's hopes of the final in tatters and leave them with a massive task next Tuesday at the Allianz Arena.

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lahm frustrated as late Messi show puts Barcelona in control

1345602_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2015 22:25:00

The former Germany skipper felt his side deserved better after holding their own at Camp Nou for the majority of an absorbing contest

Philipp Lahm lamented Bayern Munich's late collapse against Barcelona which means they are facing a near-impossible task to make it through to the Champions League final.

Bayern held their own at Camp Nou for 77 minutes before Lionel Messi took centre stage, scoring two and creating a third in injury-time for Neymar as Barca won the first leg of their semi-final 3-0.

Lahm told ZDF: "The result is not a fair reflection. We did okay over the majority of the match. That we then allowed Barca three counterattack goals is very bitter. We had chances, they had chances, of course. But we made it way too easy for them.

"You may lose 1-0. But you may not lose 3-0."

Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer made a string of vital saves to keep his side in it but even he could do nothing to keep Messi at bay.

The Germany international refused to give up hope completely, however, pointing to the fact Bayern lost the first leg 3-1 in the previous round in Porto before winning the return 6-1.

He said: "We lost our stability a bit after going 1-0 down. And then, it is difficult to avoid these counterattack situations. Barca's players are very quick. The last drop of hope for us is the match against Porto."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Muller: Bayern have blown it

1344562_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2015 22:34:00

The Germany international was devastated after Lionel Messi and Neymar left Bayern Munich needing a minor miracle to reach the Champions League final

Thomas Muller believes Bayern Munich have blown their Champions League final hopes and only have a "minuscule" chance of eliminating Barcelona following their 3-0 first-leg defeat.

The absence of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery impacted the effectiveness of Pep Guardiola's blunt attack and three goals - a double from Lionel Messi and a stoppage-time strike from Neymar - in the final 13 minutes saw them defeated in Wednesday's clash at Camp Nou.

Despite the Germany international's devastation at being humiliated at Camp Nou - where they sealed a 7-0 aggregate victory at this stage two seasons ago - Muller refused to single out any team-mate for blame and vowed to push for a miracle in the second leg at the Allianz Arena.

"For a long time we defended well against a team with many lively, pacey players," the forward told Sky. "In the first half we were lucky, we needed goalkeeper Manuel Neuer to keep us in the game on two occasions.

"During the second half we felt quite good. We did not have major chances, but it is not easy to play here. It certainly did not feel like we were going to lose 3-0.

"But then we put ourselves into that situation. Now we have to stand together and not look for scapegoats. But we must accept that our chance of reaching the final is miniscule now.

"It would be sensational if we turned this around. But you can be sure that we will give everything we have until the final whistle at the Allianz Arena."

Bayern take on Barca in the second leg next Tuesday knowing that a goal for the Liga leaders will see them needing to score at least five to progress.

Ahead of that clash, Bayern are back in Bundesliga action at home to Augsburg on Saturday, although Guardiola is likely to field a second string side in the hopes his team can repeat the comeback heroics they showed against Porto, when they overturned a 3-1 deficit with a 6-1 win in Germany.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi isn't Barcelona's only piece of art - Luis Enrique

fc-barcelona-06052015_1qsnzym66cbmp1j0fwqkxqaazn.jpg

May 6, 2015 22:53:00

The head coach credited Pep Guardiola for sticking to his philosophy but heaped praise on his players for the way they dismantled Bayern in the last 20 minutes

Luis Enrique says Lionel Messi is not the only "piece of art" in Barcelona's ranks after his team tore Bayern Munich apart late on in a 3-0 win in Wednesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

Messi unsurprisingly stole the show as he continued his amazing season with a late double before Neymar made it three goals in 13 minutes.

However, his coach was eager to praise his entire side as they restricted Bayern to just a handful of chances and avoided conceding an away goal.

"Guardiola's tactics were according to his style, his team and his philosophy," Luis Enrique said of his former team-mate. "And we played the same as we always do.

"Messi no longer surprises me. He has ambition and hunger, but I would not say Messi is the only piece of art at Barca. The work of the whole team was incredible on top of the fact we didn't concede any goals."

The Camp Nou win leaves Barca with one foot in the Champions League final and, though Luis Enrique admits the showing could not have been any better, he is aware there are still 90 minutes for the Bavarians to rustle up a sensational shock.

"We are a little closer to the final now," the head coach conceded. "It was the perfect result that takes us a little closer to Berlin, but we still have a second leg to navigate.

"I am enormously pleased with everything my players did. We defeated a team of huge ability. Their players barely had a sniff at goal and that's just as pleasing. It was simply a brilliant result."

Barcelona have a Liga clash at home to David Moyes' Real Sociedad - whom they lost to in their first game of 2015 - to look forward to before travelling to face Bayern in next Tuesday's second leg at the Allianz Arena.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mascherano: Messi impossible to describe

1345162_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2015 23:07:00

The Barcelona defender hailed his team-mate after helping make it a miserable Camp Nou return for Pep Guardiola

Javier Mascherano conceded Lionel Messi was "impossible to describe" after his fellow Argentine put Barcelona on the brink of the Champions League final.

Messi scored twice in the final 13 minutes and then laid on a third for Neymar as Barca beat Bayern Munich – and former coach Pep Guardiola – 3-0 to take a significant step towards the June showpiece in Berlin.

Mascherano told Sky Sports: "We have Messi so it's an advantage for us. He's a player that's impossible to describe. You have to watch him."

The former Liverpool midfielder felt Guardiola's tactics played into Barca's hands, adding: "We knew that Pep would try to win in any stadium. They came to press higher and sometimes when you press higher you take risks. We know that we have people up front with quality.

"It was a tight game, difficult, but we had the best chances to score. We played the game we wanted to play so we are happy.

"We know how difficult it will be in Germany so we have to maintain our mentality and do our job."

Bayern held out for 77 minutes before Dani Alves dispossessed Juan Bernat, fed Messi and the four time Ballon d'Or winner did the rest with a low shot which beat Manuel Neuer at his near post.

Messi added a brilliant second before playing in Neymar to run through and slot the ball coolly under the advancing Neuer in stoppage time.

"We were lucky to score, we found some spaces to play on the counterattack," said Mascherano. "It's important that when we drop deep we have the players we have, like Neymar, [Luis] Suarez and Messi."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Bayern were in control... then Messi showed his class

1344572_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 6, 2015 23:34:00

The former Barcelona boss admits his side have been left with an almost impossible task after the Argentine inspired the hosts to a commanding victory

Lionel Messi's class was the difference between Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the latter's 3-0 defeat on Wednesday, according to Pep Guardiola.

The Argentine - who shot to worldwide prominence while Guardiola was in charge of Barcelona - put the Bavarians to the sword with a late double which turned the well-balanced Champions League semi-final on its head at Camp Nou.

Neymar added insult to injury with a stoppage-time strike, avenging the three-goal triumph secured by Bayern on their last trip to Catalunya in 2013 and leaving the German champions with an almost impossible task in the second leg.

"Bayern did well for a long time," Guardiola, whose side restricted Barca to their lowest possession in a Champions League game since 2006, told reporters. "But then Messi showed his class. Barca aren't just him, though - they're a strong team, with other top individuals like Luis Suarez and Neymar.

"Barca are so good that they find spaces wherever they want to. It's the talent of their team that left us on the losing end, playing at Camp Nou is so hard.

"However, I think we actually controlled the game until the first Barca goal. We lost our grip after that, though, but I won't blame any of my players. The team have gone through a lot of difficult situations this season."

Guardiola was unremittingly bleak when assessing the Bundesliga champions' chances of reaching the final in Berlin on June 6, adding: "You can turn around a one or two-goal deficit, but three goals is tough."

Bayern now host Augsburg on Saturday - when they are almost certain to field a second-string side, having already wrapped up the league title last month - before playing host to the Catalans next Tuesday.

The winner of this semi-final will face either Real Madrid or Juventus, with the Italians holding a 2-1 advantage after the first leg on Tuesday in Turin.

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Lionel Messi just happened' - Henry lauds Barcelona star's masterclass

lionel-messi-barcelona-bayern-munich-champions-league-06052015_p6i74durug6q1lbcbysmc3hoc.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
May 7, 2015 00:23:00

The Argentina international scored twice and laid on an assist for Neymar as Luis Enrique's side ran out comprehensive 3-0 winners over German champions Bayern Munich

Thierry Henry lavished praise on Barcelona forward Lionel Messi after the Argentine inspired his side to a 3-0 Champions League semi-final first-leg win over Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

After a breathless first half at Camp Nou, Messi scored twice before setting up Neymar for a potentially vital third in injury time.

Messi's second – a delicate chip over Manuel Neuer – came at the expense of Jerome Boateng, who slipped as he tried to thwart the forward, and Henry was left bewitched by the 27-year-old's performance.

"Once again, how many times [are] we going to say that Lionel Messi just happened? That's just what happened tonight," Henry, who won the 2009 Champions League with the Argentine, told Sky Sports.

"I think, as we talked about, Bayern didn't approach the game the right way at the beginning, but in the second half there wasn't a lot between the two teams. But then Lionel Messi decided to win that game.

"Although you have to give a lot of credit to Dani Alves on that first goal because he got that ball back.

"But Lionel Messi is just superb. How many times are we going to find ourselves being in that situation and talking about him? He wanted to win that game and he did it again."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern threw it away against Barcelona - Boateng

bayernmunich-cropped_1jsg1603v0hut1gzhxbtpvcxk6.jpg

By Michael Huguenin
May 7, 2015 07:54:01

The Germany international was unable to hide his disappointment with his side's performance in the final 15 minutes of Wednesday's encounter

Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng has voiced his frustration with the way the Bundesliga champions folded in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final against Barcelona at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

Lionel Messi opened the scoring in the 77th minute and then left Boateng on the ground as he turned the Germany international inside out on his way to his second goal - a delightful chip over goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.

The Argentina international then teed up Neymar for Barca's third goal deep into stoppage time.

Boateng was unable to hide his anger with how the Bavarian club finished the game as he felt the Bavarians were in control for large parts.

"We played well for 70 minutes. You didn't have the feeling it might go wrong at the back but then we've made a mistake," Boateng told Bayern's website after the match.

"Obviously I'm angry that we folded after that and threw the game away.

"We need team unity now. Our target must be to win in Munich."

Bayern experienced a similarly poor first leg in the quarter-finals, losing 3-1 at Porto before turning the tie around with a 6-1 triumph at home.