• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea vow action after fans racially abuse man in Paris metro station

967152_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Feb 18, 2015 01:00:00

Amateur video captured footage of travelling supporters forcefully preventing a black man from boarding a train before the Blues' 1-1 draw with Paris Saint-Germain

A group of Chelsea supporters have been filmed preventing a black man from entering a Paris Metro train and indulging in racist chanting, with the club promising severe action if those involved can be identified.

The incident occurred in the hours leading up to the Blues' Champions League draw with Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday evening, with Branislav Ivanovic's goal helping Jose Mourinho's men to a 1-1 draw at Parc des Princes.

Amateur film footage that has circulated via social media appears to show a group of Chelsea supporters denying a black man entry to their train carriage, shoving him back onto the platform.

The fans then chant "we're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it", leading to a clutch of passengers exiting the train before it departs the station.

A Chelsea spokesman told Goal: "Such behaviour is abhorrent and has no place in football or society.

"We will support any criminal action against those involved in such behaviour and, should evidence point to the involvement of Chelsea season ticket holders or members, the club will take the strongest possible action against them, including banning orders."

The images will come as a blow to Uefa, which has been using its 'no to racism' campaign as a platform to combat incidents of racism and discriminatory behaviour.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea played with five injured players, moans Mourinho

966562_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Feb 17, 2015 23:05:00

The Portuguese believes his side got a positive result against PSG, despite Edinson Cavani's equaliser, though admits his fatigued squad struggled as the game wore on

Jose Mourinho has claimed that he was forced to select five unfit players for Chelsea's 1-1 draw at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League last-16 first leg.

The Blues took the lead at the Parc des Princes, with Branislav Ivanovic heading in from Gary Cahill’s flick, but were pegged back in a dominant second half from the home side.

Thibaut Courtois, praised by skipper John Terry in the aftermath of the game, made a string of fine saves but was powerless to stop Edinson Cavani from finding the back of the net.

Mourinho admits his side flagged in the second period, failing to muster a single shot on goal, but was keen to point out that many of his players carried knocks heading into the match which prevented them from training.

"Sometimes people they speak about the players when they are injured and they don't play. But there are injured players that play," Mourinho told ITV afterwards.

"The injured players that play don't train to play. I had in this team five players that didn't train. They didn't train once since the game at Everton.

"They had a warming down yesterday for the press to see they were on the pitch. We felt that a little. I'm happy with the result. Two legs is now one leg with everything to be decided at Stamford Bridge."

When asked if Chelsea might have won the match after Ivanovic's opener, Mourinho continued: "We could lose, too. The result is a positive one. I don't say 'very good' because it depends on the result of the second leg.

"But I say a positive result against a very good team. A team with fantastic attacking players. When they were losing we knew that they would have a go so it was a difficult match.

"When you see the performance of our goalkeeper you have to say 'yes' [Chelsea got away with it]. Our goalkeeper made two or three important saves in the game."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea would've lost without Courtois - David Luiz

966532_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 17, 2015 22:23:46

The Brazilian, who left Stamford Bridge for PSG last summer, was left to rue a number of saves from the Belgian as the Blues secured a 1-1 draw in Paris

David Luiz believes Paris Saint-Germain would have beaten Chelsea on Tuesday were it not for the stellar performance of Thibaut Courtois .

The Belgian shot-stopper pulled off a couple of key saves in the Champions League last 16 tie at Parc des Princes, the most crucial of which arguably came in second-half stoppage-time when he prevented a powerful Zlatan Ibrahimovic header from putting Laurent Blanc's men ahead.

As it stands, Chelsea head into their home leg with an away-goal advantage after Branislav Ivanovic's opener was cancelled out in the second half by Edinson Cavani.

PSG's David Luiz, who left Stamford Bridge for the Ligue 1 champions in a €50 million move last year, does not think Jose Mourinho's men would have held on at 1-1 without Courtois coming to their rescue.

"If it were not for the goalkeeper, we would have won easily,” the Brazilian, who played in an unorthodox midfield position against his former club, told Canal Plus. "Courtois was fantastic.

"We played well, although they had an opportunity and they scored from it. We should have won but I think we can still qualify for the quarter-finals. We can win there.

"We have a good team, a good coach and the right plan will be put in place to get a result. It will be a great return leg at Stamford Bridge."

PSG's trip to Chelsea takes place on Wednesday March 11. Blanc's men were knocked out of the tournament last season by the Blues on away goals.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Blatter hits out at racist Chelsea fans

809162_heroa.jpg

By Greg Lea
Feb 18, 2015 13:17:00

The Fifa president has spoken out against a video which shows travelling Blues supporters racially abusing a man in Paris before the club's Champions League tie with PSG

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has hit out at a group of Chelsea supporters, after they were filmed racially abusing a black man on the Paris Metro system.

Footage emerged on Tuesday night of a group of fans blocking a man from boarding a train, while other people can be heard singing, "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."

The leader of world football's governing body has now stepped in to have his say on the events.

Via his Twitter feed, Blatter said: "I also condemn the actions of a small group of Chelsea fans in Paris. There is no place for racism in football!"

Uefa, meanwhile, insists it is beyond its remit to take action against the fans, as the incident took place away from the stadium, though it "condemns all forms of discrimination and we are appalled by the incident.

"It is a matter for the local authorities to investigate further and Uefa supports any action that is taken."

Chelsea were quick to condemn the conduct of those involved in a strongly-worded statement issued on Tuesday night: "Such behaviour is abhorrent and has no place in football or society.

"We will support any criminal action against those involved, and should evidence point to involvement of Chelsea season-ticket holders or members the club will take the strongest possible action against them, including banning orders.”

That is a stance which has been backed up by the Football Association (FA) in statement: "The FA fully supports Chelsea’s position in seeking to ban any of the club’s season-ticket holders or members who face criminal action in relation to these abhorrent scenes.

"The FA, like the club, completely condemn such disgraceful behaviour which is a criminal offence and those responsible should face the strongest possible punishment."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kroos: I'm not at 100 per cent yet

965932_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 17, 2015 21:12:40

The midfielder is confident he can hit top gear for Real Madrid in the coming months as they prepare to take on Schalke in the Champions League

Toni Kroos does not think he has quite reached his peak with Real Madrid - but is determined to keep improving.

The Germany international, 25, arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu last summer for an estimated €30 million after winning the World Cup and has started every single Liga game for Carlo Ancelotti this season.

Kroos dismissed suggestions that he has been busier on the pitch in 2014-15 in Ancelotti's 4-3-3 system but says he does have his sights set on improving in the coming months.

"I don't think I have run more this season than in my entire career," the central midfielder told reporters on Tuesday. "But this transfer abroad has been a new experience.

"The club have helped me at all levels and my integration into the squad has been totally achieved. My position here is more defensive, but I'm used to it now after seven months and I hope to reach 100 per cent of my ability here.

"I do not think there will be much change in my role when [Luka] Modric returns [from injury]."

Kroos also admitted his side were hit hard by their mauling at Atletico Madrid earlier this month but looked ahead with confidence towards Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first leg at Schalke.

"The derby defeat was a very bad result," he added. "It has been the most negative thing in recent weeks because the general atmosphere in the dressing room is good.

"There are some significant injuries to team-mates, though, but I feel perfectly fine.

"Last year's win over Schalke in the last 16 is not important. The important thing is to qualify for the last eight this time.

"It's a nice feeling to play in Germany again, but this time as a Real Madrid player. I remember my matches here with Bayern, we got some good results. I hope to repeat them tomorrow."

Real Madrid's clash with Schalke kicks off at 20:45CET, with the return leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo ready to return to his best against Schalke - Ancelotti

944202_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 17, 2015 20:11:24

The Ballon d'Or holder has been struggling for form and consistency in 2015 but his coach was encouraged by his outing against Deportivo

Cristiano Ronaldo has been struggling for goals in recent Real Madrid matches but Carlo Ancelotti is backing his forward to return to his best in their Champions League clash with Schalke on Wednesday.

The Portugal international was crowned the best player in football by Fifa last month, winning the prestigious Ballon d'Or, but he has gone three games in a row without scoring - his last goal for the Blancos coming on January 18.

Much of the pre-match talk has been on the form of Ronaldo, with Schalke boss Roberto Di Matteo acknowledging Madrid's main threat has looked out of sorts, but Ancelotti has faith that the forward will get on the scoresheet at the Veltins Arena this week.

"Ronaldo was good in the last game against Deportivo La Coruna," the Italian coach told reporters when asked about Ronaldo, who missed two games recently through suspension.

"He had good intensity in the last match. He's getting better, he just lacks goals. I believe that tomorrow against Schalke is a good opportunity to amend this."

Prior to defeating Deportivo, Real Madrid had suffered a shock thrashing at the hands of rivals Atletico in La Liga, and Ancelotti is eager to put that result behind them with a strong showing on Wednesday.

"This week is very important because, after having a result like we had against Atletico, if you don't have a fast reaction then it can affect you for the season," he continued.

"It's a great motivation to retain the trophy in the Champions League. We played Schalke last year with the dream of winning the Decima.

"This year we have the same aspirations. History says retaining this title is very difficult - almost impossible - but we will try.

"We have to enjoy this game and this round. We need to show intensity and have motivation. I'm confident because the team had a solid game on Sunday; we should do even better tomorrow."

Real Madrid's clash with Schalke kicks off at 20:45CET, with the return leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nothing less than two great performances will do - Porto coach Lopetegui

965472_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Feb 17, 2015 19:57:27

The 48-year-old has warned that Basel have become "a complete side" and will pose a real threat under Paulo Sousa

Porto coach Julen Lopetegui has warned his side that nothing less than two great performances will be enough to see them overcome Basel in the Champions League round of 16.

The Portuguese travel to Switzerland to take on Paulo Sousa’s side for Wednesday’s first leg and are favourites to progress to the quarter-finals for the first time since 2008-09.

But Lopetegui insists that his players need to be cautious of Basel’s threat and urges them not to underestimate their hosts.

"Paulo Sousa is doing a great job at Basel, and he and his team showed a lot of character during the group stage. They are also very experienced, full of international players," said the 48-year-old in a pre-match press conference.

"They're prepared for this game for practically two months, so they are ready. Basel have a lot of potential, they have demonstrated that they can play well – very well in fact.

"We go into every game aiming for the win, to be the main protagonists. Basel are a complete side, they have a clear idea about how to attack and defend, and we have to put on two great performances to go through – one is not enough."

Porto qualified for the knockout stage by topping group H ahead of Shakhtar Donetsk while Basel advanced after pipping Liverpool to second place behind Real Madrid in group B.

The return leg between the two sides will take place on Tuesday, March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Huntelaar 'itching' for revenge against Real Madrid

964672_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Feb 17, 2015 19:31:10

The Dutchman, who endured an unhappy six-month stay at the Santiago Bernabeu, is available to face his old side after serving a four-match ban

Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has admitted that is "itching" to return to action after nearly three weeks on the sidelines through suspension and is now hoping to take his frustration out on former employers Real Madrid.

The Netherlands international was hit with a four-game ban due to his dismissal for a reckless challenge on Manuel Schiemedach during his club's Bundesliga win over Hannover on January 31.

Huntelaar has been forced to sit out three consecutive Schalke outings and he will also be unavailable for Saturday's visit of Werder Bremen.

However, the Dutchman is free to play in Europe, meaning he will lead the Schalke attack in Wednesday's Champions League last-16, first-leg meeting with Madrid.

"I'm itching to get going," Huntelaar told reporters. "I'm finally allowed to play again!"

Schalke were routed 9-2 on aggregate by the same opponents at the same stage of last season's competition, after being humiliated 6-1 in the first leg in front of their own fans in Gelsenkirchen.

Huntelaar is thus hoping that the German outfit do not make the same mistakes this time around.

"We gave away the last home match against Real Madrid too easily," the striker added.

"We conceded too many goals through our own mistakes. We could have made it 1-1 and lost our heads when it was 3-1. We have to do things better this time.

"We want to be able to give the fans a decent result, but we'll have to take our chances if that's going to happen."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lopetegui rejects favourites tag

17 February 2015

790522header.jpg

Porto expect a tough UEFA Champions League encounter with Basel on Wednesday and dismiss suggestions they are favourites to go through.

Julen Lopetegui has rejected claims Porto are favourites to progress from their UEFA Champions League last-16 tie with Basel.

The two-time winners have been in imperious form so far in the competition, topping Group H unbeaten, while their 16 goals in the first round proper was bettered only by Chelsea.

Wednesday may be the first meeting between the two sides but Lopetegui has denied the Primeira Liga outfit start the tie as favourites.

"There are no favourites in a game like this, say what you like," he said. "The only reality is that it starts 0-0.

"This is a beautiful and historic game. Let's go with all the ambition, we want to be best.

"We know it will be a very balanced game because we are playing a great team. Basel are a great team, very strong, experienced and well orientated.

"We will have to play two great games to reach the quarter finals of the Champions League."

Basel's home record may be why Lopetegui is keen to shift the weight of expectation off his team, the Swiss champions have only lost twice at the St Jakob Park since October 2013 in all competitions.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sousa promises: Basel will be better at Porto

971852_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 18, 2015 23:57:55

The coach refused to be critical of his players, although he accepted the visitors were the better team, and he thinks they can bag an away win and progress in the Champions League

Basel boss Paulo Sousa is convinced that his team will put in a better performance when they play at Porto than they did in Wednesday's 1-1 first-leg draw.

The Swiss side were on the back foot for much of the Champions League last-16 first leg despite taking an early lead, and Porto coach Julen Lopetegui was adamant that his players deserved to win at St Jakob Park.

Sousa lauded the quality of the Portuguese visitors but has faith that a rejuvenated Basel can come away from the Estadio do Dragao with a win that would put them in the quarter-final stage of the elite European competition for the first time since 1974.

"I watched the second half with pleasure because we like a challenge at Basel," the coach told reporters after the game. "We like difficulties and Porto created many for us.

"They are a team with great quality, although until the 26th minute the game was balanced. They deserved the result, admittedly, and they could easily have got another goal, but fortunately this draw gives us hope for the second leg.

"We'll have time to get some players back fit and I believe we will be able to do better than we did in the return leg."

Porto, who won the competition 11 seasons ago with Jose Mourinho at the helm, host Basel in the second leg of the last-16 tie on Tuesday March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Howedes: Madrid brutally punished Schalke

971682_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Feb 18, 2015 23:38:47

The Germany international felt the Bundesliga side put in a good performance overall, but were made to pay for two weak moments

Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes feels the Bundesliga side were brutally punished by Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie as they were beaten 2-0 at the Veltins Arena despite giving a good account of themselves.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcelo were on target to give the defending champions a comfortable away victory in Wednesday's encounter.

Howedes was part of Schalke's back five in Gelsenkirchen and felt they had done well to limit Madrid, although he acknowledged they now face an uphill battle to qualify.

"We defended well overall," said the 26-year-old. "But of course it's a brutal blow to be punished by Real's two chances.

"We fought and were very industrious. We gave Real hardly any opportunities to score and that will be our goal in Madrid as well.

"We are not in a good position, but everything is possible in football and we will aim to give a good account of ourselves."

The return at the Santiago Bernabeu takes place on March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Matteo: Schalke let Madrid escape

0,,%7E13506449,00.jpeg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 18, 2015 22:37:06

The former Chelsea boss was unable to hide his disappointment with his side's defeat and feels they could easily have come away with a better result

Roberto Di Matteo believes Schalke could have gotten a better result against Real Madrid had they been more clinical in the wake of his side's 2-0 Champions League round-of-16 defeat.

Goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcelo helped the reigning champions to an away-win at the Veltins Arena, but Di Matteo feels the result could easily have been different with a bit of luck.

Young striker Felix Platte hit the crossbar for Schalke with the score still at 1-0 and Atsuto Uchida failed to tap home the rebound, with Marcelo firing in shortly afterwards, and the Italian coach was unable to hide his disappointment with how things panned out for his side in the end.

"We wanted more and we tried hard to get a better result. We had our chances in the first half and then hit the crossbar after the break when it was still 1-0. We would have seen a very different result had we scored there," Di Matteo told Sky.

"We had our chances, but failed to take them. You get little chances in games like this and you have to convert them.

"It is never easy against Madrid. They are very strong on the counter attack. We all saw it toward the end of the first half when we allowed them too much space.

"It will be very difficult to turn things around in Madrid, but we still believe in it. Nothing is impossible."

The return at the Santiago Bernabeu will take place on March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kroos: Schalke pitch a catastrophe

971672_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 18, 2015 23:09:04

The midfielder was unimpressed by playing conditions and laughed off suggestions Madrid had been in crisis after their derby loss to Atletico

Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos blasted the state of the pitch at the Veltins Arena following his side's 2-0 Champions League win over Schalke.

Goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcelo helped the reigning champions to a vital away win in the first leg of the round-of-16 tie, yet Kroos was not impressed by the conditions in Gelsenkirchen.

“It was difficult and that was partially down to the state of the pitch," the Germany international told Sky.

"It should not be an excuse, but the pitch was a catastrophe.”

Kroos then went on to stress that Madrid were not surprised by Schalke's approach and laughed off suggestions of a crisis after their 4-0 league defeat to Atletico Madrid earlier this month.

"We expected Schalke to play very defensive, but we scored at a good time in the match.

“Perhaps we played better in the first half of the season, but you would have to lose several matches in a row in order to talk about a crisis in my opinion. We lost only one match. I rather lose 4-0 once than lose four matches by one goal."

Kroos also had his say on Ronaldo following the Portugal star's goal after three games without finding the net.

"Ronaldo was focused as usual. He had not scored for two or three matches, but it was a matter of time until he scored again. And today he did just that.”

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo not obsessed with goals, insists Marcelo

970732_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 18, 2015 22:18:38

The Brazilian defender has made it clear his team-mate is not interested in goals so long as the team is successful and has warned against complacency

Real Madrid defender Marcelo has insisted Cristiano Ronaldo is not obsessed with scoring goals in the wake of his header in the 2-0 Champions League win over Schalke to end his goal drought.

The Portugal international opened the scoring at the Veltins Arena after 26 minutes of play, ending a three-match goalless streak in the process, before Marcelo put the match to bed in the 79th minute with a fine strike from the edge of the area.

Nevertheless, the left-back has insisted that scoring goals is not Ronaldo's main objective, adding that it's all about winning games for the prolific attacker.

"Cristiano is not obsessed with scoring goals," Marcelo told Canal+ when asked about the Portuguese attacker's 37th strike of the season.

"Goals always come in the end when he works hard and the team works hard, too. The most important thing is that we won."

The Brazilian defender then went on to stress that the tie is by no means over just yet, irrespective of Madrid's first-leg victory, before adding the Santiago Bernabeu side are slowly getting back the good feeling from earlier this season.

"The tie is not finished just yet. We remain humble. Anything can happen. We have to work like we did here in Gelsenkirchen in order to progress. Schalke are a great team and made life hard for us. We hold the advantage, but nothing has been decided.

"This game help us get back the good feeling from 2014. We are on the right path again. We enjoyed ourselves on the pitch."

The second leg is scheduled to take place at the Bernabeu on March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porto did better than Real Madrid and Liverpool - Lopetegui

970872_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 18, 2015 23:22:49

The coach does not think a 1-1 draw at Basel is a fair reflection of his team's performance in Switzerland, while Jackson Martinez thinks they have the upper hand

Julen Lopetegui has suggested that Porto were stronger against Basel than Real Madrid and Liverpool were earlier this season, stating that he thinks a 1-1 result was harsh on his players.

Derlis Gonzalez put the Swiss hosts ahead after just 11 minutes, leaving the Portuguese visitors trailing for much of the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie despite being on the front foot the entire time.

Basel finally caved on the 79-minute mark as Walter Samuel was penalised for handball in the penalty area and Danilo converted a spot kick to level the scoreline at St Jakob Park, though Lopetegui believes the visitors deserved much more from the tie.

"In the last 16 of the Champions League all matches are complicated, so we were already waiting for these difficulties," the Porto boss told reporters.

"They scored with their only shot on target while we had many shots on target. I think we deserved an even better result than this.

"We showed quality and spirit against a team that, in this stadium, had already been superior to Liverpool and Real Madrid."

Porto forward Jackson Martinez thinks the 1-1 draw away at Basel has left the club in a good position ahead of next month's second leg at the Estadio do Dragao, despite the difficulties they faced on Wednesday.

"It was a difficult game, especially in the first half," the Colombian said. "We knew how to be patient, to look for the goal, and we drew level.

"This result puts us in a good position. We accomplished part of our objective for this game, but there are still 90 minutes to be played."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid equal Bayern's Champions League win record

971822_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Feb 18, 2015 22:05:00

Carlo Ancelotti's side have won 10 consecutive games in Europe following their 2-0 victory at Schalke - a run which stretches from last season's semi-final stage

Real Madrid equalled Bayern Munich's record of 10 consecutive Champions League victories with Wednesday's 2-0 triumph over Schalke.

The reigning European champions went ahead at the Veltins Arena via the head of Cristiano Ronaldo, who ended a month-long goal drought in the process, before a superb Marcelo strike doubled their lead late in the game.

Carlo Ancelotti's men are only the second team in Champions League history to have won 10 consecutive matches, following in the footsteps of Bayern, who set the record in November 2013 with a 3-1 win at CSKA Moscow.

Real Madrid's run mirrors Bayern's in the sense that both teams rocketed to double figures in continuing Champions League wins the season after they lifted the trophy.

Their first triumph in the current run started in the semi-final first leg against Bayern in 2013-14 and continued throughout the group stage in this year's competition, when they were the only team not to drop a point en route to the last 16.

The Blancos, who are top of La Liga by a point ahead of Barcelona but are out of the Copa del Rey, will be expected to break the record outright against Schalke in the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday March 10.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi expecting tough City test

19 February 2015

791659header.jpg

Barcelona will face a tough test against Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League, according to Lionel Messi.

Lionel Messi is expecting a tough encounter when Manchester City face Barcelona in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 tie next week.

The teams meet at this stage for the second season in succession, Barca having emerged with a 4-1 aggregate victory last time around.

Luis Enrique's men visit the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday, before the reverse fixture at Camp Nou three weeks later, and Messi predicts a tight tussle for a place in the next round.

"It is going to be a hard match when we face City again, just like last year," he said in an exclusive video interview with Perform. "They are a team with great players, who want to get to the quarter-finals.

"They have been trying to achieve for a long time. They have spent a lot of money to have a good team, bringing in good players.

"So they are going out to win, and it will be a very even match, where the finer details could prove important.

"I think that it will be a great match."

Asked whether he had discussed the fixture with Argentina team-mate and City striker Sergio Aguero, Messi revealed: "Yes, we talked when we saw each other, but only for a short time. We talked more about other things."

Barca are on an 11-match winning run in all competitions - sitting one point adrift of Liga leaders Real Madrid and holding a 3-1 advantage over Villarreal in their Copa del Rey semi-final - but Messi insists they can ill-afford to take their eye off the ball.

"We haven't won anything yet, so there is still a long way to go," he added. "There are still many months of competition left in La Liga and the Champions League and we still have to fight for a place in the Copa del Rey final, so I believe there is yet plenty of time to keep playing in this way in order to reach our goals."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri 'absolutely not worried' by Champions League clash with Dortmund

982472_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Feb 20, 2015 23:07:24

The Juventus boss is confident his side are in good form ahead of the clash and praised the "two magical feet" of Andrea Pirlo

Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri says he is "absolutely not worried" by the prospect of facing Borussia Dortmund next week.

Both Jurgen Klopp's side and the Serie A leaders prepared for the Champions League last-16 first leg in victorious fashion on Friday, with Juve edging past Atalanta while BVB beat Stuttgart 3-2.

And while he admits the tie will go right to the wire, Allegri has full confidence that his players are reaching their top form again in 2015.

"We are in very good shape," he told Sky Sport Italia. "Borussia are back on track and on Tuesday it’s the first of two games, so we have to play with balance and I am absolutely not worried by this match.

"I think they are going to be two great games and I expect qualification to be decided only in the final minutes of the second leg."

Juve went behind during the first half against Atalanta but responded with two goals of their own before the break - the second of which was a sublime long-range strike from Andrea Pirlo, whom Allegri singled out for special praise.

"It was a difficult start, Atalanta defended well and we tried to play between the lines but were too hasty and conceded a few counterattacks. We needed patience that we would eventually create some chances," Allegri said.

"We conceded from a corner, the same way as against Milan.

"Pirlo has two magical feet, especially the right, and when he shoots the ball takes strange trajectories. It was an extraordinary goal.

"We cannot expect to win every match 3-0, as opponents won't just lie down and let us dominate.

"We should’ve finished off the game after the break, but we were determined and focused to bring this victory home. They were all the things we missed against Cesena.

"This is the toughest part of the campaign. These games are good for us, they get our feet back on the ground and remind us that nothing will be handed to us."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Racist Chelsea fans must be locked up, says victim

973212_heroa.jpg

Feb 19, 2015 10:37:40

The Parisian revealed he hid the incident from his wife and children but has spoken out after finding out it had been filmed by fellow commuters

The Paris resident racially abused by Chelsea fans on a metro ahead of their Champions League encounter with Paris Saint-Germain has urged authorities to punish the perpetrators.

Souleymane S. was denied entrance to a metro carriage and subjected to racist chants at the Richelieu-Drouot metro station by a number of Blues supporters and he has made it clear he will file charges against the people involved.

"I did not know that the incident was being filmed. The fact that people are now talking about it has given me the courage to complain to the police. These people, these English fans, must be located, punished and locked up for what they did. This should not go unpunished," Souleymane told Le Parisien.

"I wanted to get into the carriage, but a group of English fans blocked me and pushed me away. I lost my phone in the scramble. They were shouting at me in English, but I didn't really understand them because I don't speak English.

"But I realised they were Chelsea fans and that it was connected to the PSG game. I also understood they were attacking me because of the colour of my skin. I was not really surprised by it. I live with racism, although it was the first time it happened in the metro.

"I stayed in front of those fans for a long time. Someone told me that I had been brave to resist them. I think it all lasted for six or seven minutes. At some point, the RATP (public transport operator) intervened, but only to ensure there would not be any fighting and that the metro could run as scheduled. Nobody defended me, but what could they have done.

"I just waited for the next metro to arrive. I did not talk about it with my wife and children. Should I tell them that their dad was being pushed and shoved in the subway because he is black. This is useless..."

Chelsea have strongly condemned Tuesday's events and have asked any witnesses to get in touch with the club in order to track down and punish the fans involved.