• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma v Bayern Munich: Destro raring to go

19 October 2014

695763header.jpg

Roma striker Mattia Destro is urging his side to prove their quality when they test themselves against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

The Serie A title challengers have returned to the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 2011 this season and have made a bright start to their campaign.

A 5-1 Group E demolition of CSKA Moscow was followed by an encouraging 1-1 draw at Premier League champions Manchester City last month.

That sets the capital club up nicely for the challenge of facing Bayern - Champions League winners in 2012-13 and semi-finalists last term.

Destro scored in the fourth minute of Roma's 3-0 win against Chievo on Saturday, a result that was the ideal response to a 3-2 loss at three-time defending Serie A champions Juventus.

And Roma's latest win has Destro excited ahead of the visit of Pep Guardiola's Bayern.

"It will be a wonderful match," the striker told Sky Sport Italia. "We'll be in front of our own fans, so we can't wait.

"We were convinced [about our credentials] from the start of the season. We'll go through our journey and see where we end up.

"We play every weekend and try to impose our football, always going for victory."

Destro's thoughts were echoed by Roma coach Rudi Garcia, who said he "really can't wait" to play the Bundesliga champions.

Roma will also be wary of Manchester City, who sit third in the pool but have back-to-back clashes against CSKA Moscow on the horizon.

Bayern, meanwhile, top Group E after successive 1-0 triumphs and have won their last five matches in all competitions.

They have not conceded since August and thrashed rock-bottom Werder Bremen 6-0 in the Bundesliga on Saturday, with captain Philipp Lahm scoring a rare double.

Guardiola expressed his delight afterwards at how well his players had responded to international duty.

Robert Lewandowski was an unused substitute in the six-goal romp while Franck Ribery only played the last 29 minutes as Guardiola kept one eye on the European challenge ahead.

Bastian Schweinsteiger has finally returned to training after a knee injury but will not appear, while a recurrence of Thiago Alcantara's own knee problem has him sidelined indefinitely.

The two sides met in Roma's last Champions League campaign - Bayern winning 2-0 in Munich in September 2010 before overturning a two-goal deficit to win the return clash 3-2.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

APOEL v Paris Saint-Germain: Visitors battling injury crisis

19 October 2014

695887header.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain's injury crisis has increased the chances of APOEL claiming a shock UEFA Champions League win in Cyprus on Tuesday.

The French champions head into the Group F clash as favourites, but will be wary after a poor run of luck has put coach Laurent Blanc under pressure.

PSG have won just four of their first 10 Ligue 1 matches this season, although a 3-2 Champions League victory over Barcelona last month does have them on top of their pool.

Blanc's men will enter Tuesday's clash on the back of a win after a 3-1 success at Lens.

Edinson Cavani was bizarrely sent off in Friday's game - initially booked for a gun-firing celebration towards the crowd before being given his marching orders for his reaction - and that will have angered Blanc, who is already without a series of star names.

Captain and centre-back Thiago Silva has not played since getting injured in an August friendly against Napoli, and although Blanc said he would return against Lens, the Brazilian did not feature.

Star forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic has missed the club's last five games with a heel problem and Ezequiel Lavezzi (hamstring) is sidelined.

Add in muscle injuries to centre-backs David Luiz and Marquinhos and the club's slow start can be understood.

Blanc has been forced to play Zoumana Camara with Thiago Motta in a makeshift central defensive pair and he must have been frustrated when Blaise Matuidi was taken off with a thigh problem during the Lens win.

Still, PSG are unbeaten this season - setting APOEL a tough challenge on Tuesday.

The Cypriot side have surprised in Europe's premier club competition, following a narrow 1-0 loss at Barcelona with a 1-1 home draw against Ajax.

APOEL lead the Cypriot top flight with 16 points from six matches and won 2-1 at Othellos last time out - new signing Rafik Djebbour netting a late winner.

Another new arrival, defender John Arne Riise, featured on that occasion.

APOEL have injury problems of their own, with Portuguese midfielder Nuno Morais travelling to Serbia to have back and hamstring issues assessed.

Winger Stathis Aloneftis is also sidelined, while Pieros Sotiriou and Gustavo Manduca are doubts.

PSG have previously played APOEL, winning 3-0 on aggregate in the first round of the 1993-94 European Cup Winners' Cup.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona v Ajax: Mascherano calls for focus

19 October 2014

695885header.jpg

Javier Mascherano has urged Barcelona to stay focused on Tuesday's UEFA Champions League home clash with Ajax, despite obvious distractions.

The Catalan giants can ill-afford another slip-up in Group F after a 3-2 loss at Paris Saint-Germain last time out.

With the season's first Clasico coming just four days after the visit of the Eredivisie champions, coach Luis Enrique has already warned his players against taking their eye off the ball in midweek.

Those sentiments were echoed by Mascherano as the versatile Argentina international set his sights on success in Europe, with domestic ambitions on the back burner for now.

"The most important game is always the next one," he told the club's official website.

"If you win [the next game], that changes the next one.

"We need to win against Ajax and go into the next game [Clasico] with confidence."

Xavi added: "After the slip-up in Paris, we have to take three points."

Barca, who will be without defender Thomas Vermaelen (hamstring), beat APOEL 1-0 on match day one, but their loss in the French capital sees them second in the group - one point behind PSG.

Luis Enrique's men head into the game sitting top of the Spanish top flight and fresh from a 3-0 win over Eibar, in which striker Lionel Messi scored once to move to within two strikes of becoming La Liga's record goalscorer.

Draws against PSG and APOEL have Ajax reasonably placed after two matches and stalemates have been a common theme for Frank de Boer's side in recent times.

Ajax have had to share the spoils in their last three clashes - most recently a 1-1 draw against Twente on Saturday.

Kolbeinn Sigthorsson netted a 71st-minute equaliser as the four-time defending Eredivisie champions fell four points behind leaders PSV.

The two sides played each other in the group stages last term as Messi scored a hat-trick in Barcelona's 4-0 home win.

But Ajax won their home clash 2-1, with Thulani Serero, a doubt for this game with a hamstring injury, and Danny Hoesen both scoring in the first half.

De Boer will be looking to get one over on the club he spent four years at as a player between 1999 and 2003.

The Dutchman won the league title at Camp Nou in his first season.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schalke v Sporting Lisbon: Draxler warns more is to come

19 October 2014

695973header.jpg

Julian Draxler warned that Schalke will only improve as they get to grips with Roberto Di Matteo's style, ahead of Sporting Lisbon's visit.

The former Chelsea and West Brom boss enjoyed a winning start to life as Schalke coach with a 2-0 success against Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

Draxler set up Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's 19th-minute opener before wrapping up the points midway through the second half with a goal of his own.

It gives Schalke an ideal boost ahead of their Group G home clash against the Primeira Liga outfit and 21-year-old Draxler feels there is much more to come from his team-mates.

"It was important to start with three points under the new coach and we've managed that," Draxler told Schalke's official website.

"It's not easy when a new manager comes in with a new philosophy.

"We didn't set off any fireworks [against Hertha] but it was just about getting three points.

"It was important that we didn't get caught on the counter - we were solid at the back.

"We kept a clean sheet and showed our individual quality in attack, even though everything hasn't quite slotted together yet."

Successive 1-1 draws at Chelsea and then at home to Maribor have Schalke searching for their first victory in the competition this season.

Schalke, who sit in the top half of the Bundesliga, will take confidence from Sporting's poor record in Germany.

The Portuguese side have lost eight of their nine trips to Germany in UEFA competition.

A 16-game run without a win against German opponents was ended with Sporting's home success over Hertha in the group stages of the 2009-10 UEFA Europa League campaign. Sporting went on to lose the away leg, though.

They sit bottom of the group with just one point from their two matches but will be buoyed by a 3-1 win at Porto in the third round of the Taca de Portugal on Saturday.

Nani scored again in that game - his fourth goal in his last six matches for Sporting.

Sporting sit fourth in the Portuguese top flight but are already six points behind leaders Benfica.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea v Maribor: Mourinho to resist urge to chop and change

19 October 2014

695975header.jpg

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will resist the temptation to make wholesale changes ahead of Maribor's UEFA Champions League visit on Tuesday.

The Stamford Bridge outfit have made a blistering start to their Premier League campaign, winning seven of eight matches to claim a five-point lead at the summit.

And while Saturday's 2-1 success at Crystal Palace was not as convincing as some of Chelsea's other wins this season, it was achieved in the absence of the injured Diego Costa.

Costa has made a stunning start to his Premier League career, netting nine goals in seven matches, but his on-going hamstring problem forced him to miss out.

Mourinho hit out at Spain's treatment of the forward on international duty and he will be without the striker again for the Group G fixture against Maribor.

That could mean Loic Remy may lead the line again or Chelsea legend Didier Drogba.

Chelsea top the group with four points from two matches and, ahead of a Premier League blockbuster at Manchester United on Sunday, Mourinho could be forgiven for rotating his squad.

Maribor's two gritty Group G draws have caught Mourinho's attention, though, and the Portuguese - aiming to be the first coach to win the Champions League with three different clubs - will keep things relatively similar.

"For Tuesday, I cannot make lots of changes because I cannot break the balance of the team," Mourinho said.

"I can change a couple. I don't think I am going to recover any player - I do not think Ramires will be available.

"[Andre] Schurrle won't be available, Diego [Costa] for sure is not available. So the players I have are the players I had [against Palace].

"So I don't have a lot to change but I'm going to make a couple of changes.

"It is a very important match to win, to finish the first three matches with seven points is a very important situation for us."

Chelsea, who have won their last five matches in all competitions, triumphed 1-0 at Sporting Lisbon last month thanks to a Nemanja Matic goal.

Serbia midfielder Matic said in the build-up that "nobody expected Maribor to take points off Sporting and Schalke", but that those results had sharpened Chelsea's focus.

Maribor have slipped to third in the Slovenian top flight after winning just one of their last four league matches.

And a 2-1 home loss to Celje on Saturday will have done little to boost their confidence.

Maribor did become the first Slovenian side to beat an English team in UEFA competition last season.

But defeating second-tier Wigan Athletic in the UEFA Europa League, as opposed to Premier League leaders Chelsea in the Champions League, is a very different prospect.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

BATE v Shakhtar Donetsk: Visitors in upbeat mood ahead of UEFA Champions League test

19 October 2014

696029header.jpg

Shakhtar Donetsk captain Darijo Srna is under no illusions as to the importance of his side's trip to BATE in the UEFA Champions League.

The Ukrainian champions are playing catch-up in Group H after conceding twice in the last four minutes to draw 2-2 with Porto in their last European fixture.

Successive league defeats to Zorya and Dynamo Kiev also saw Shakhtar lose ground in the race for the domestic title, but they bounced back in impressive fashion against Volyn on Friday.

Luiz Adriano netted twice while Srna, Dentinho, Alex Teixeira and Douglas Costa also got on the scoresheet as they ran out emphatic 6-2 winners.

The result gave Shakhtar the perfect lift ahead of their return to continental action, and Srna insists that spirits are high.

"We really needed this win after [the] Porto [draw] and two league defeats," Srna told Futbol 1 after the Volyn success.

"It's always nice to win.

"Now we need to have a good rest and get ready for BATE. A very important game awaits us."

Shakhtar will also take confidence from the 6-0 hammering Tuesday's opponents BATE were handed by Porto on match day one, although they bounced back to beat Atletico Bilbao 2-1 last time out.

And travelling will pose no fears for Shakhtar, who are getting used to life on the road.

Unable to play matches in Donetsk due to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, Shakhtar are currently hosting matches in Lviv - more than 1,000km away from their home city.

BATE enter the clash in excellent form and are unbeaten in their last six games in all competitions.

They top the Belarusian top flight by three points and won 4-1 at Shakhtyor on Thursday.

Aleksandr Karnitskiy - who scored in the win over Bilbao on matchday two - netted a hat-trick in their latest domestic success and is once again likely to lead their challenge.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porto v Athletic Bilbao: Lopetegui expecting tough test

19 October 2014

696027header.jpg

Porto coach Julen Lopetegui is expecting a stern test from Athletic Bilbao when the two teams clash on Tuesday.

The La Liga outfit head to Portugal hoping to extend their one-point lead at the top of Group H.

After beginning their UEFA Champions League campaign with a 6-0 trouncing of BATE, Porto showed outstanding character on match day two.

Jackson Martinez scored twice in the last five minutes on that occasion, as Porto salvaged a 2-2 draw at Shakhtar Donetsk.

Bilbao have only claimed one point from their two matches, losing 2-1 at BATE last time out.

But despite that, Spaniard Lopetegui is not taking Ernesto Valverde's men lightly.

"Athletic Bilbao is a team whose main characteristic is to be very complete," Lopetegui told Television de Galicia.

"[They have] an important balance [in] both attacking and defending - a team that attacks and defends well.

"Last year [they] did an exceptional season and I am convinced that this season [they] will again make equal.

"I'm sure [they] will return to the top."

In Martinez and Yacine Brahimi, Porto have two of the group stage's three top scorers - both having netted three times already.

And both will be licking their lips ahead of facing a Bilbao side who are stuck in 16th after just one win in eight La Liga matches this season.

Real Madrid hammered Bilbao 5-0 earlier this month and they have managed just five league goals so far.

Bilbao's plight was summed up on Saturday when despite taking a sixth-minute lead through Aduriz, they still failed to win.

Nolito's 73rd-minute leveller ensured Celta Vigo left Bilbao with a 1-1 draw. Bilbao have not won in any competition since August.

Porto's league form has been far better and they sit second - four points adrift of Benfica.

A 3-1 home loss to Sporting Lisbon in the third round of the Taca de Portugal on Saturday was disappointing, though, and Lopetegui will demand a response.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Costa ruled out of Chelsea - Maribor clash

458314_heroa.jpg

Oct 20, 2014 12:47:00

The Spain international is not fit enough for Tuesday's Champions League encounter and is a doubt to face Manchester United on Sunday

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has ruled Diego Costa out of the club's Champions League group game against Maribor on Tuesday.

The Spain international missed his first Premier League match on Saturday as the Blues triumphed 2-1 at Crystal Palace to maintain their five-point lead at the top of the table.

Costa featured twice for Vicente del Bosque's team during the international break and although he scored against Luxembourg, doubts surfaced over his fitness.

And Mourinho explained to reporters: "It's the same problem that he [Diego Costa] is having. Now an injury, not almost an injury. He's not training because he's not in condition to do it.

"Tomorrow he can't play. Let's see what happens next weekend [against Manchester United] but what matters is tomorrow and tomorrow he can't play."

The Blues are also without John Obi Mikel, Ramires and Andre Schurrle for their Group G game and, when pressed further on Spain's treatment of Costa, Mourinho revealed his frustration with the selfishness of some national team coaches.

"There are no rules, no laws to protect [the clubs]," he added. "It's just down to the mentality of the national team coaches. It is up to them to take good care of the players or to work in a selfish way.

"I’m not the guy to tell the players not to go, I don’t tell them to pretend they have problems. I stimulate them to go, I like them to go. We like our players to play in the big competitions so we’re always positive about our players going.

"After that you have national coaches and medical coaches who want to establish a relationship and they want to know and some others simply don't care. This is something we can’t resolve. It’s something that is out of our hands.

"I had in my career a few of them in permanent contact with me. I had managers with very open communication, and I had others who year after year I don’t have one single text or call from them.

"If one day I become national coach - I hope in 20 years time - I will do it my way, and with so many years this side of the situation, I will have good conditions to be good for the clubs and take good care of the players and the clubs.

"It hurts. You are not happy when you give players in good conditions and you receive them in bad conditions."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

PSG cannot hide behind injuries, says Blanc

487161_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Oct 20, 2014 20:48:15

The Ligue 1 champions are currently without a host of key players, including star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but the coach is targeting all three points in Cyprus

Paris Saint-Germain boss Laurent Blanc says he has no intention of using the club's current injury crisis as an excuse if they fail to defeat APOEL on Tuesday night.

The Ligue 1 champions took charge of Champions League Group F by beating Barcelona at the Parc des Princes last time out but have arrived in Cyprus without Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Marquinhos, while there are significant doubts over the participation of David Luiz (thigh), Blaise Matuidi (hip), Thiago Motta and Yohan Cabaye (both groin).

Blanc, though, is determined to avoid seeing the shock win over the Blaugrana effectively negated by a failure to beat APOEL.

"We want a positive result and we will not hid behind the injuries," the PSG boss declared. "Regardless of the team we pick, we have to take all three points.

"We will try to impose our game against a team that defends very deep. We can expect to have the ball but their players are very disciplined and courageous.

"This is a team to be taken very seriously. Here, you really have to do a lot to win.

"If we are not at our best in terms of determination, we will encounter many difficulties."

However, Blanc has been buoyed by the availability of defender Thiago Silva, who has been out of action since August with a thigh problem.

"He is big player of great quality," the World Cup winner enthused. "And he is our captain.

"For the group, he has a special significance on the field and off it.

"He brings his individual qualities that are very, very important. He is a tremendous player."

With star striker Ibrahimovic unlikely to start, Edinson Cavani is once again set to lead the PSG attack.

The Uruguay international was controversially dismissed for two bookable offences in last weekend's Ligue 1 win at Lens, after contesting his first yellow for celebrating a goal with his trademark 'machine gun salute'.

Blanc admitted that he has had a word with Cavani but hinted that he fully expects the forward to celebrate in exactly the same way if he nets against APOEL.

"He has to move on and forget the red," the former France international argued. "Refereeing decisions are irrevocable once they are taken.

"I tried to explain to him why he sent off. But we're not going back to what happened against Lens.

"APOEL is another match. If he scores, I do not know what he will do. "Or rather, I know and I hope he will not be punished!"

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale and Ramos out of Liverpool v Real Madrid

467855_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Oct 21, 2014 12:26:35

The Welsh winger and Spanish defender have been omitted through injury from Carlo Ancelotti's 20-man squad he is taking to Anfield for Wednesday's European game

Real Madrid have left out injury-hit pair Gareth Bale and Sergio Ramos from their squad to face Liverpool on Wednesday.

Bale was benched against Levante on Saturday and the European champions confirmed he was struggling with a muscular injury on Monday.

The Welshman's absence from their midweek Champions League clash with Liverpool is arguably not as significant as if he fails to recover full fitness for this coming Saturday's Clasico at home to Barcelona, when Carlo Ancelotti will be hoping his regular starter will be back in top shape.

Ramos, meanwhile, missed Spain's internationals due to a muscular injury and also played no part in the Blancos' 5-0 victory at the weekend. As a result, he is also a question mark to start at the Santiago Bernabeu against Lionel Messi and Co. on October 25.

Bale's void is expected to be filled by Isco, while Nacho filled in for Ramos last time out although Raphael Varane's return to the selection suggests he might be favoured if fully fit.

Karim Benzema is back in the 20-man squad having been rested with a foot injury against Levante and is expected to step back into the XI at the expense of on-loan forward Javier Hernandez.

Real Madrid squad in full: Casillas, Navas, Pacheco; Varane, Pepe, Marcelo, Carvajal, Arbeloa, Nacho; Khedira, Kroos, James, Modric, Isco, Illarra, Medran, M. Llorente; Ronaldo, Benzema, Hernandez.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City not as good as Bayern, insists Musa

349528_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Oct 20, 2014 12:49:27

The Nigeria international is optimistic about his side's chances of getting a good result against the Premier League champions

Ahmed Musa is confident CSKA Moscow can get a good result in Tuesday's Champions League match against Manchester City as he feels the Premier League outfit are not as good as Bayern Munich.

CSKA were beaten 1-0 by Bayern on matchday two after a heavy loss to Roma in their opening Group B game, but Musa is optimistic about their chances against City.

"For me, Manchester City are a weaker side than Bayern. They are not as strong as they were a year ago, and we can exploit that," the Nigeria international said at a press conference.

"We have quick, experienced players and we can have a great match. I think we will get a result. Tuesday is our last chance to qualify for the next phase of the Champions League, and a big league win against Kuban [6-0] has left us feeling positive.

"We know Manchester City did not win their last two group stage games. We know their weaknesses - that their defence is not so strong - and we will do our best to win. We know them from last year and have studied them well, and we will do all we can to get a result."

CSKA were beaten 2-1 at home against City last term, before recording a 5-2 defeat in Manchester.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique shrugs off Messi sub snub controversy

477921_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Oct 20, 2014 15:14:00

The Argentina star appeared to ignore calls to be withdrawn against Eibar but the former midfielder insists he will often consult players before deciding on substitutions

Luis Enrique refused to be drawn into an argument over Lionel Messi 's apparent refusal to be substituted in Barcelona 's victory over Eibar.

Messi scored Barca's third goal in the 3-0 win at Camp Nou on Saturday and head coach Luis Enrique appeared to signal to the striker his intention to bring him off.

However, the Argentina international - who needs just two goals to become the all-time leading goalscorer in La Liga - seemed to ignore those calls and Neymar was withdrawn instead.

Luis Enrique was reluctant to discuss the issue ahead of Barca's Champions League clash with Ajax on Tuesday and insisted it was normal to consult a player before making a decision over a possible change.
"I don't want to really get into this kind of discussion," he said. "We have to worry about so many different things when we talk about substitutions, who's on a yellow card, who's injured.

"Sometimes I make mistakes. I don't want to get into the kind of argument about how you've interpreted this substitution.

"Before we make substitutions we like to ask the players how they're feeling, whether they've take a knock, whether they're in trouble, we make decisions depending on what they tell us.

"Particularly when it's the last change as it's the last one you've got. I think people have interpreted things the way they wanted to about what happened the other day.

"But for me it's all about the confidence I have in the players, what I see on the pitch and what the players have told me is happening. I won't change that, that's how I will act during my tenure as Barca coach."

Having lost their last Champions League match at Paris Saint-Germain, Barca need to get their Group F campaign back on track against the Eredivisie champions.

Luis Enrique is keen for his men not to take the Dutch side lightly and pointed to Barca's 2-1 loss to Ajax in Amsterdam in last season's group stage as proof of their quality.

"We're going to have to play a very good game," he added. "We don't want Ajax to let their virtues to flourish and they have many virtues.

"They are a side that like to take risks, bring the ball out of defence; they play the ball well and put opposition under pressure.

"We saw last year they can cause difficulties for Barca, in fact they did beat Barca. So it's a game where we need to be at our best."

The former midfielder also confirmed Sergio Busquets will undergo tests prior to Tuesday's game to determine if he is fit enough to start.

"We will conduct medical tests on Busquets tomorrow [Tuesday] morning to see if he will be able to play. We are used to playing every three or four days, and the most important match for us at the moment is one against Ajax, not the Clasico."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pastore thrilled as Thiago Silva closes in on PSG return

406444_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 20, 2014 19:23:46

The 30-year-old Brazil international defender has been out of action since August with a thigh problem but is in the squad to face APOEL this week

Javier Pastore believes the return of Thiago Silva after two months on the sidelines is a big boost for Paris Saint-Germain.

The Brazil international has been out of action this term after suffering a thigh injury in pre-season action against Napoli in August, but has been named in the squad to face APOEL in the Champions League this week.

"Thiago Silva is a very important player for us. It's good to have a player like him for a game like this in the future, even if the team has done well without him," Pastore told reporters on Monday.

"He's an experienced player and has a lot of technical qualities. It's good to have him back. But in his absence, all the defenders did well."

PSG recorded a highly-impressive 3-2 win over Barcelona on matchday two of the Champions League but have struggled to hit top form in Ligue 1 so far this season.

Pastore admits the team have found it far easier to become motivated for their European encounters but hopes a victory against the Cypriots will help them to build momentum.

"It's normal that it's easier to get motivated for the Champions League. But we are working to be as motivated for Ligue 1. It's not easy, but we try," the playmaker said.

"This is an opportunity to confirm our good work against Barcelona.

"There is no risk [that we will be less focused because of the quality of the opponent]. This is an important match in the Champions League. If we win, we will confirm our good results in the two first matches.

"I hope that we'll do great things. The most important thing is to get out of the group and be in the last 16, so we have to win tomorrow.

"The objective is to qualify. If we finish first, it's even better."

Edinson Cavani was controversially sent off after scoring against Lens over the weekend but Pastore does not believe that the Uruguayan will not be unduly affected by the red card and will continue to do a good job filling in up front the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"His job is to score goals and to help the team to win. He focuses on this mission. And I hope he will help us tomorrow," added the Argentine.

"Ibrahimovic is an important player for us. But we're trying to do our job without him. It is difficult. Today, he is not here and we can only wait for his return."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Ronaldo will relish Anfield hostility' - Ancelotti

489921_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Oct 21, 2014 13:54:23

The coach does not expect his star forward to struggle with pressure on Wednesday and revealed he was "holding back tears" upon being announced as Real Madrid boss

Carlo Ancelotti has warned Liverpool fans they are wasting their time if they taunt former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo on Wednesday night.

Real Madrid face Brendan Rodgers' men in their latest Champions League group stage encounter at Anfield – one of the few major grounds at which the Portugal international is yet to score.

Ronaldo has struck twice in nine games against Liverpool, but is currently on an incredible run of goalscoring form having found the back of the net 20 times in just 13 appearances for club and country this term.

And Madrid boss Ancelotti - who on Monday ruled out the prospect of the 29-year-old ever returning to United - believes nothing can possibly faze his star man and even thinks the hostility on Merseyside could work in his favour.

"No, he won't be more motivated because it's Liverpool," Ancelotti told The Sun.

"Cristiano is always super-motivated. But, if the atmosphere is hostile, this motivates him more."

Ancelotti - who lifted the Champions League and the Copa del Rey in his first season as Madrid boss last term - looked back at his maiden campaign in charge of the club at Tuesday’s press conference and revealed how he came close to tears upon being given the job in the summer of 2013.

"I remember I was trying to hold back tears on the day of my presentation as coach of Real Madrid," the former Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan boss added.

"I knew it was the largest in the world, the world's largest club and was professionally it's been a great pleasure to coach this team."

Madrid have won their opening two group stage games against Ludogorets and Basel, and victory on Wednesday could move them to within touching distance of a place in the knockout stages of the competition.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galatasaray fined €50,000 for Emirates Stadium damage

487001_heroa.jpg

By Christopher Devine
Oct 20, 2014 18:12:00

The Turkish giants have been punished after fans tore up seats during their Champions League clash, while Basel and Feyenoord have also been sanctioned

Galatasaray have been fined €50,000 by Uefa following the crowd disturbances during their Champions League defeat to Arsenal.

The Turkish club were beaten 4-1 at Emirates Stadium on October 1 in a fixture that was interrupted by flares being thrown onto the pitch.

Seats in the away section of the ground were also pulled out and broken by Galatasaray fans, with the club having been ordered to contact Arsenal within 30 days in order to settle the cost of the damage.

Arsenal were charged with insufficient organisation as a result of a lack of body searches but will not be punished after Uefa opted to close the disciplinary proceedings against the club.

464351_heroa.jpg

AFTERMATH | Ripped-up seats are removed from the Emirates' away section

European football's governing body issued fines to a number of other teams on Monday.

Basel will be required to pay €40,000 as a result of the "throwing of objects" that occurred in their 1-0 victory over Liverpool in the Champions League on October 1.

Feyenoord and Standard Liege, meanwhile, have been fined €15,000 and €17,000 respectively after incidents in their Europa League match the following day.

Both teams have been punished for the setting off of fireworks, while Feyenoord were also found guilty of insufficient organisation and Liege of a crowd disturbance.

The Andorran Football Federation has been ordered to pay €10,000, having been found guilty of insufficient organisation for their match against Wales, whose FA have received a €5,000 fine following a pitch invasion by their supporters.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Busquets ruled out of Ajax clash

490241_heroa.jpg

Harry West
Oct 21, 2014 15:12:09

The midfielder has been left out of the squad for Tuesday's game through injury, but will hope to be fit for next weekend's clash with Real Madrid

Sergio Busquets has been ruled out of Barcelona's Champions League meeting with Ajax on Tuesday with a bruised hip.

The Spain international missed Saturday's 3-0 win over Eibar and is believed to have been left out of the Group F encounter merely as a precaution with Real Madrid on the horizon in La Liga this weekend.

"Sergio Busquets has a contusion on the left hip and will be left out from the party today as a precaution," read a statement on the club's official Twitter account.

His absence could see Barca coach Luis Enrique name a midfield three of Xavi, Javier Mascherano and Ivan Rakitic at Camp Nou.

The Catalans will be keen to bounce back after their 3-2 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain last time out, although they can take solace from their recent home record in this competition.

The Catalan giants have lost just one of their previous 29 Champions League matches at Camp Nou - a 3-0 reverse at the hands of Bayern Munich in the semi-final second leg in 2012-13.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Team news ahead of Tuesday's games

Published: Tuesday 21 October 2014, 8.23CET

UEFA.com rounds up the possible lineups and formations for Tuesday's eight UEFA Champions League group stage games, including who is out and who is a doubt.

2146063_w2.jpg

Loïc Rémy is set to lead the line for Chelsea in the place of Diego Costa

PFC CSKA Moskva v Manchester City FC

CSKA: Akinfeev; Fernandes, V Berezutski, Ignashevich, Schennikov; A Berezutski, Tošić, Natcho, Eremenko, Milanov; Musa.
• Out: Dzagoev (suspended), Wernbloom (suspensed), Elm (stomach), Panchenko (knee), Vitinho (ankle)
• Doubtful: Fernandes (elbow), Doumbia (various)

Manchester City: Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany, Mangala, Kolarov; Fernando, Fernandinho, Touré; Silva, Agüero, Milner.
• Out: Lampard (thigh), Nasri (groin)

AS Roma v FC Bayern München

Roma: De Sanctis; Maicon, Yanga-Mbiwa, Manolas, Cole; Pjanić, De Rossi, Nainggolan; Iturbe, Totti, Gervinho.
• Out: Castán (neck), Strootman (knee), Keita (calf)

Bayern: Neuer; Rafinha, Boateng, Dante, Alaba; Lahm, Alonso; Robben, Müller, Götze; Lewandowski.
• Out: Badstuber (thigh), Martínez (knee), Reina (calf), Schweinsteiger (knee), Alcántara (knee)

APOEL FC v Paris Saint-Germain

APOEL: Pardo; Antoniades, Carlão, João Guilherme, Mário Sérgio; Vinicius, Nuno Morais; Manduca, Tiago Gomes, Charalambides; Sheridan.
• Out: Aloneftis (back), Papazoglou (stomach), Kissas (unspecified)
• Doubtful: De Vincenti (thigh), Riise (match fitness), Sotiriou (calf)

Paris: Sirigu; Van der Wiel, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Maxwell; Matuidi, Verratti, Motta; Lucas, Cavani, Pastore.
• Out: Lavezzi (thigh), Marquinhos (thigh), Ibrahimović (heel)

FC Barcelona v AFC Ajax

Barcelona: Ter Stegen; Alves, Mathieu, Piqué, Alba; Mascherano, Roberto, Xavi; Pedro, Messi, Neymar.
• Out: Adriano (groin)
• Doubtful: Busquets (unspecified), Douglas (foot), Vermaelen (match fitness)

Ajax: Cillessen; Van Rhijn, Veltman, Moisander, Viergever; Klaassen, Zimling, Andersen; Schöne, Sigthórsson, El Ghazi.
• Out: Fischer (hamstring), Serero (hamstring), Boilesen (concussion)

FC Schalke 04 v Sporting Clube de Portugal

Schalke: Fährmann; Uchida, Höwedes, Ayhan, Aogo; Neustädter, Höger; Choupo-Moting, Boateng, Draxler; Huntelaar.
• Out: Giefer (groin), Santana (thigh), Kolašinac (knee), Farfán (knee)
• Doubtful: Sam (thigh), Goretzka (thigh)

Sporting: Patrício; Cédric, Maurício, Oliveira, Silva; William, João Mário, Adrien; Carrillo, Nani, Slimani.
Out: Rabia (stomach)

Chelsea FC v NK Maribor

Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanović, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Matić, Fàbregas; Willian, Hazard, Oscar; Rémy.
• Out: Diego Costa (hamsting), Ramires (groin), Schürrle (illness), Mikel (foot)
• Doubtful: Drogba (fitness)

Maribor: Handanovič; Šuler, Filipović, Mejač, Rajčevič, Viler; Ibraimi, Vršič, Bohar, Mertelj; Tavares.

FC BATE Borisov v FC Shakhtar Donetsk

BATE: Chernik; Khagush, Polyakov, Tubić, M Volodko; A Volodko, Likhtarovich; Baga, Karnitski, Gordeychuk; Signevich.
• Out: Filipenko (thigh), Rodionov (unspecified muscular problem)
• Doubtful: Mladenović (unspecified muscular problem)

Shakhtar: Pyatov; Srna, Kucher, Rakitskiy, Azevedo; Stepanenko, Douglas Costa, Fernando, Alex Teixeira, Taison; Luiz Adriano.
• Out: Kryvtsov (ankle)

FC Porto v Athletic Club

Porto: Fabiano; Danilo, Maicon, Martins Indi, Alex Sandro; Neves, Herrera, Torres; Tello, Jackson, Brahimi.

Athletic: Iraizoz; Iraola, Gurpegui, Laporte, Balenziaga; Iturraspe, Mikel Rico, Gómez, De Marcos, Muniain; Aduriz.
• Out: Ager Aketxe (broken toe)

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galatasaray v Borussia Dortmund: Reus calls for unity

20 October 2014

697021header.jpg

Marco Reus has urged Borussia Dortmund to stick together despite their poor run of form, ahead of Wednesday's clash at Galatasaray.

Dortmund slumped to a 2-1 defeat at Cologne on Saturday - their fifth loss in eight Bundesliga matches.

Coach Jurgen Klopp slammed his team for being "so naive" as they fell to 14th in the league table, already 13 points adrift of leaders Bayern Munich.

The UEFA Champions League has been a welcome distraction for Dortmund this season, though, and they top Group D with two wins from as many matches.

Klopp's side started their continental campaign with a 2-0 home success against Arsenal in September before they cruised past Anderlecht 3-0 last month.

Forwards Ciro Immobile and Adrian Ramos have netted twice each in the competition and Dortmund are five points ahead of the third-placed Galatasaray, heading into the Istanbul contest.

And Reus has called on Dortmund to keep working hard ahead of their trip to Turkey.

"We need to fight our way from the bottom as a team," Reus told Dortmund's official website.

"I have been through it before enough times, and it will not be easy.

"We need to keep working hard, and with that work I am sure that we shall soon be on the road to success again."

Reus returned from an ankle injury against Cologne, while Ilkay Gundogan made his first competitive start for over a year after recovering from a back injury.

Goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller is pleased the games are coming thick and fast in the club's poor run and said after the Cologne loss: "It's good that we play again on Wednesday so that we can put things right."

Dortmund's Bundesliga plight was perhaps summed up when sporting director Michael Zorc said they are enduring their "most difficult time in years".

Things are going far smoother for Galatasaray on the domestic front, with three successive wins lifting them to second in the table.

And Cesare Prandelli's side will feel confident after a 2-1 win over Fenerbahce on Saturday, in which Wesley Sneijder scored two superb goals in the last five minutes.

Their Champions League form has been poor, though, a 1-1 draw at Anderlecht followed by a 4-1 loss at Arsenal.

But backed by a fervent home crowd, there is perhaps no better time to play Dortmund - something Galatasaray will be looking to take advantage of.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ludogorets v Basel: Sousa after more of the same

20 October 2014

697017header.jpg

Basel coach Paulo Sousa is hoping for more of the same when his side battle Ludogorets in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

A 5-1 defeat at Real Madrid on matchday one proved the catalyst for an upturn in form for Basel, who have lost just one of their six matches since then.

Included in that run was an excellent 1-0 home triumph over Liverpool and another win by the same scoreline on Saturday kept them one point behind Swiss Super League leaders FC Zurich.

Shkelzen Gashi scored the goal that saw off Young Boys over the weekend.

"We are very pleased with these three points," Sousa told the club's official website after the match

"We have developed a strong first half. [I admire] the good and fighting spirit of the players."

In another interview prior to his side's Group B trip to Ludogorets, Sousa was quoted by The Daily Star as saying: "We always try to express ourselves on the pitch, and at the same time, win.

"That is what we managed to do against a historical team like Liverpool with great players.

"I am happy with what we have done and hope we can keep up this level of play."

Ludogorets will be out for revenge against Basel, given their elimination from the same competition last year.

The two sides clashed over two legs with a spot in the group stages up for grabs.

Basel took charge of the tie with a 4-2 win in Bulgaria, before wrapping it up with a 2-0 home success.

Although Ludogorets have yet to pick up a point in Group B, they can take encouragement from each of the matches they have played so far.

They pushed Liverpool all the way in a 2-1 defeat at Anfield in September - settled by Steven Gerrard's 93rd-minute penalty.

Georgi Dermendzhiev's men then took the lead against Real Madrid on matchday two, only to lose 2-1 in Sofia as Karim Benzema netted the winner with 13 minutes to play.

Ludogorets, who had to win through three qualifying rounds to reach the group stages, sit second in the Bulgarian top flight, seven points behind leaders CSKA Sofia.

A winless run of two games in the league came to an end courtesy of Friday's 3-1 success over Haskovo, in which Marcelinho, Cosmin Moti and Dani Abalo were all on the scoresheet.