• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2016-17 ☆

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Puel has 'no idea' about Southampton takeover talk

claude-puel-cropped_2fth8eq0wly31vndpfrbmyawf.jpg

Jamie Smith
Nov 2, 2016 17:14:19

Reports that the Saints could be the next English side to change ownership have passed manager Claude Puel by

Southampton manager Claude Puel has "no idea" about reports Chinese group Lander Sports Development are in talks over a takeover of the Premier League club.

A £200million offer is reportedly on the table, but Puel, speaking ahead of Thursday's Europa League tie with Inter, insisted he has not been informed of any developments.

"I am sorry but I finished the training session and I have no idea on this subject," he told reporters.

"I give all my confidence of course with the president, with all the people in the club to work very well and to do the things in a good way and the right way.

"I am staying concentrated on the game of tomorrow.

"After this, the other things we will have time to discuss and to speak with this for the future. I think this is not the moment for us, for me, to speak about this.

"We will see this with the chairman and he is a good man to answer this subject. I say I have no problem of course and I have all my confidence with the chairman and the future of the club."

Puel confirmed Republic of Ireland international Shane Long will miss the Inter game as a result of a hamstring problem the striker suffered at San Siro two weeks ago.

"Still injured are Long, [Matt] Targett, [Alex] McCarthy, [Jake] Hesketh and [Harrison] Reed now," said Puel. "Jeremy Pied, of course, is also injured.

"For the moment, many players are out, but it's important to continue this good work."

The Frenchman also expressed sympathy for Frank de Boer, who was sacked as Inter's coach on Tuesday, with youth team coach Stefano Vecchi set to take charge for the Europa League game at St Mary's.

"It's always a shame for a coach to lose his job," said Puel. "Now we have to show more concentration tomorrow night.

"Of course it's difficult for us to prepare for this game because we don't know what to expect [from Inter] in terms of the profile, the spirit, the system of play.

"We're sure that they have great players, they won the first game while struggling and that's the quality of the players they have.

"For qualification you usually need around 10 points and we have six points from three games, we have two games at home and one away. It’s very important to win at home."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho admits Schweinsteiger first-team return 'is an option'

bastian-schweinsteiger-cropped_1wymho4dgj2m1okuhgftzk7qk.jpg

Joe Wright
Nov 2, 2016 17:00:45

The German midfielder is back training with the club and Mourinho will not rule out a place in the team for the veteran

Bastian Schweinsteiger could play again for Manchester United this season, manager Jose Mourinho has said.

The retired Germany international made a surprise return to Monday's first-team training session having previously been frozen out of the senior squad and instructed to train alone by Mourinho.

Defender Luke Shaw said afterwards that it was a huge plus to the squad to have the experienced midfielder return, with United having endured indifferent form this season that has left them eight points adrift of Premier League leaders Manchester City.

Although Schweinsteiger is ineligible for Thursday's Europa League clash with Fenerbahce, Mourinho says he could be called upon should his squad be struck by injuries to key midfield players.

If not, Mourinho is confident that the 32-year-old will boost his chances of finding a new club in January by regaining some additional fitness.

"We made the decision last Thursday, we informed him last Friday so he joined the team last Monday," said the Portuguese boss.

"It's a decision based on the fact that we're in a period where it's really difficult to train with everybody together.

"In this moment, the next day after we play, the players who played train in a different recovery session so the group becomes 13, 14, and with injuries sometimes 10, 11.

"The way Bastian was working professionally, every day with the fitness coach, it's a human decision, a professional decision to bring him back to the team.

"He'll be in much better condition in case his future decision is to leave the club. If he stays with us and becomes one more option - and in this moment we have no problems in midfield - but if we do one day then he will be one more option.

"It's a decision that can be positive for the group, so it's good for us and for him."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

'None of those buys would scare me' - Ferdinand slams Tottenham's summer signings

mauricio-pochettino-and-victor-wanyama-of-tottenham_9qx2d7rbyvw61n3yqqwr1356j.jpg

Matthew Judge
Nov 2, 2016 13:04:03

Spurs brought in five new faces ahead of the 2016-17 season but the former Manchester United defender believes Victor Wanyama is the only one to have made an impact so far

Rio Ferdinand has criticised Tottenham's summer transfer business, claiming none of their five signings would have put fear into their rivals before the start of the season.

Spurs brought in Victor Wanyama, Vincent Janssen, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Moussa Sissoko, as well as Pau Lopez on a season-long loan, as they looked to build on finishing third in 2015/16.

But, although Mauricio Pochettino's men remain undefeated in the Premier League after 10 games, they have drawn five of them and Ferdinand believes the blame for that lies with their summer buys.

The former Manchester United defender believes Wanyama is the only fresh face to have impressed at White Hart Lane so far and reckons Tottenham have also become “too predictable”.

In his column for the Evening Standard , Ferdinand wrote: “The club spent £68million on Victor Wanyama, Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen and Georges-Kevin N’Koudou. It is still early in their careers at Spurs and they obviously have talent. But if I was at a rival club, none of those buys would have scared me.

“When I was at Manchester United, the players always responded far better and raised their game when a big player came in. The kind of signing that makes everyone sit up and go ‘woah’.

“Tottenham are obviously not in the same situation as Manchester United were back then. They still need to find a way to win trophies, as well as working out a way of adding players to improve the team.

“But of the four they bought, only Wanyama has made a real impact on the side. He has started very well, yet the others haven’t really added to the team in terms of goals or performances. I’m sure that is a frustration for Mauricio Pochettino at the moment.

“Tottenham are drawing too many games and I believe they have just become a bit too predictable.”

Spurs are currently fifth in the league table having drawn their last three games against West Brom, Bournemouth and Leicester City.

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho totally wrong to make Man Utd scapegoats of Shaw and Smalling

chris-smalling-luke-shaw-manchester-united_g9gi1ze3vhgp1nyuqqowgmvll.jpg

Kris Voakes
Nov 8, 2016 10:22:09

The Portuguese questioned the commitment of the pair after they declared themselves unfit, but they were both within their rights to pull out

GOAL COMMENT

It is not the first time this season that Luke Shaw has come in for criticism from Jose Mourinho, but at least this time he is sharing the public spotlight with Chris Smalling after the pair’s commitment to the cause was called into question by the Manchester United manager on Sunday.

“Smalling doesn’t feel that he can play at 100 per cent with his pain. Shaw told me this morning that he was not able to play,” Mourinho claimed ahead of the 3-1 win over Swansea City. “For the team, you have to do anything.”

It was a clear broadside against the England pair, and it didn’t stop there as the Portuguese went on to claim the could easily have played had they had the mentality to do so.

"There is a difference between the brave, who want to play at any cost, and the ones for whom a little pain can make a difference. If I were to speak with the many great football people of this team, they will say they played many times without being 100%.”

His then blatantly compared the sensibilities of Shaw and Smalling with those of Phil Jones, who was playing his first senior game in 10 months, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, whose fifth yellow card of the season he put down to his 100% commitment to the cause.

It is easy to understand why Mourinho would feel disappointed by the absence of Smalling, in particular given his lack of centre-back options. Jones lined up alongside Marcos Rojo – a man who prefers to play centrally but the manager has constantly referred to as a left-back and would not consider in the heart of the defence in a best case scenario.

But his decision to castigate the duo in public has to be questioned, particularly in the case of Shaw. Not only did his claim that the former Southampton full-back had broken the news on the morning of the game when it appears Shaw had not even travelled with the team, but the scapegoating of a player still recovering physically, mentally and emotionally from a devastating broken leg deserves further scrutiny.

As written in the build-up to Sunday’s fixture, too much should not be expected of Shaw at this time as he becomes familiar with the demands of top football once again. United undoubtedly need more from the left-back position than Shaw has been able to give to this point, but to publicly undermine the player’s psychological recovery is seemingly a rather harsh route to take.

He has already attracted the wrath of Mourinho following the 3-1 loss to Watford due to his lack of positioning, and a second blast would appear no more likely to garner the desired results. Many players coming back from such a horrific injury talk of overcoming the mental barrier after a clattering challenge is overcome and the mind understands finally that the body is resilient. Perhaps this will be the case with Shaw too.

Smalling, meanwhile, has missed the last four matches with a niggling injury which saw him depart the 4-1 home win over Fenerbahce at half-time. Although he subsequently played in the 4-0 loss to Chelsea, his performance attracted significant criticism as he looked well short of sharpness and he has not played since.

He, too, can be forgiven for wanting to be better prepared for football before committing himself to the cause. Given his abysmal showing at Stamford Bridge, he probably believed he would be doing more for Manchester United by staying out of the firing line than throwing himself in too soon.

Mourinho’s subsequent criticism has apparently left both Smalling and Shaw scratching their heads, while their England manager Gareth Southgate has come out in defence of the pair.

“Chris hasn’t played for quite a while and Luke has played but we’ve known he’s had ongoing difficulties coming back from a very serious injury,” said the interim national boss.

“Our medical teams - as with all the clubs - have been liaising very closely throughout the week. The decision with Luke was a bit later but we’ve been aware both have been carrying injuries.

“There’s always a line for a player. I think players want to play, generally. In individual situations you need more information to be able to comment.

“It totally depends on what the injury is - what part of the body, what are the ramifications...it’s a very individual thing.”

Mourinho obviously wants to be able to field the best Manchester United side he can at every opportunity, but eyebrows have rightly been raised by his behaviour in this case. Supporters will have arrived at the Liberty Stadium fearing the worst due to the construction of their makeshift back line, but it would have surely done nobody any favours for Smalling and Shaw to claim to be ready when they were not.

Managers rightly have concerns about how they are going to gain results without their best players, but the athletes themselves have the wider picture more centrally in their minds. They have their careers and livelihoods to consider every time they choose whether or not to play through the pain barrier.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ibrahimovic: Man Utd will achieve big things once we click

manchesterunited-cropped_1v5crgvv0kd641nadighr46pbt.jpg

Alex Fisher
Nov 8, 2016 10:28:14

The Red Devils are trying to recover from a poor run of form and the striker is sure that they will be much stronger when players are used to each other

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is confident Manchester United will achieve "big things" when Jose Mourinho's squad "click" into gear.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez? Click here to see the countdown of the 50 best players in the world in the 2016 Goal 50

Prior to Sunday's 3-1 victory over Swansea City, United had gone four games without victory in the Premier League to slip away from the top four.

There was also a disappointing display in the Europa League, as they were beaten 2-1 by Fenerbahce - a result that leaves them far from certain of progressing from the group stage.

The victory at the Liberty Stadium lifted some of the pressure that has been weighing down on the United squad and Ibrahimovic in particular, the former Sweden international ending his seven-game run without a goal by netting a first-half brace.

And he is convinced United can produce similar displays in the future as the squad get to know each other better.

"We have a mix of ages - experienced players, young players, the quality is there," he told Inside United magazine. "I think we can achieve big things.

30 years on, how will Man Utd replace irreplaceable Sir Alex?

"I said after the Liverpool game and I said it before that we just need to find the 'click' where we find each other.

"Every day that goes by, the more you get to know each other and it becomes like a family. You know what you need - I know what I need to do to get the maximum out of my team-mates and the same thing on the other side, they know what they need to bring that out of me.

"The pieces are there, we just need to put the puzzle together.

"It will click. We just wait for the moment when everything is clicking among each other, not only inside the pitch, but outside it. I don't say things are bad because things are good.

"We've been a little unlucky in certain games but we believe and, when you believe, it will come. I like to train hard, that's my philosophy. If you train hard, you get what you want to get. Hard work pays back, according to me."

Speaking of his own worrying form, Ibrahimovic acknowledged he could have done more as he settled into life in England.

He added: "I think I could have scored a couple more goals than I have done - I missed pretty good chances which I didn't see myself doing. But it's a different game here.

"With my performance, I am happy. I know I can do more, I know the team can do more and I want to do more and I will do more."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wright: Mourinho struggling to get message across at Man Utd

jose-mourinho-manchester-united_6qblmgu0kfb0ziaqs7ht9jdf.jpg

Nov 8, 2016 13:28:01

Ex-Arsenal striker believes Red Devils need to look to Liverpool and Chelsea for inspiration when it comes to instilling belief and confidence in a squad

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright believes Manchester United’s squad are ‘not believing, or at least failing to understand’ the message Jose Mourinho is trying to get across.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez? Click here to see the countdown of the 50 best players in the world in the 2016 Goal 50

The Red Devils have struggled for consistency throughout the 2016-17 campaign, with the troubles of their recent past coming back to haunt them once again.

Mourinho’s appointment was intended to bring about a reversal in fortune, even with an acknowledgement that it would take time for the Portuguese to shape a squad in his own image.

Big money was thrown at the project over the summer, with Mourinho receiving a similar level of backing to that afforded his predecessor Louis van Gaal.

The general consensus was that United had bought well, with the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba proven performers on a global stage.

There are, however, still areas in need of reinforcement, while the Premier League has once again shown itself to be a tough division to master for even the most experienced of heads.

United have been unable to break into full stride as a result, with the latest international break diverting attention away from a domestic situation which has the Red Devils sat sixth in the Premier League table - eight points adrift of leaders Liverpool.

Wright feels there are still too many crossed wires at Old Trafford, with the ex-England international pointing to events at Anfield and Stamford Bridge as an example of how belief can be built once a winning formula is found and harmony is restored.

He wrote in his column for The Sun: "Look at Manchester United. Sure, they won at Swansea at the weekend but the inconsistent results suggest the squad is not believing, or at least failing to understand, what Jose Mourinho is trying to get them to do.”

Wright added: "You can see it [belief] in current performances by Chelsea and Liverpool and it’s giving them the edge over their rivals.

"Under Jurgen Klopp this season, Liverpool are playing with such confidence that there is the belief they will always score more than the opposition.”

United will hope that a 3-1 victory over Swansea heading into the break has seen them turn a corner, with the remainder of their November schedule looking particularly taxing.

Mourinho’s men return to action with a Premier League clash against Arsenal, before taking in a Europa League fixture at home to Feyenoord and back-to-back meetings with West Ham in the league and EFL Cup quarter-final.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool were one-man team in 2013-14, now they're not - Aldridge

philippe-coutinho-premier-league-liverpool-v-hull-240916_1l0yx44porybe1nhv36p8wr8aa.jpg

Nov 8, 2016 14:19:48

The former Reds striker admits Luis Suarez helped to carry Premier League title challenge under Brendan Rodgers, but feels Jurgen Klopp has more of a team

Liverpool came agonisingly close to landing the Premier League title in 2013-14, but a couple of untimely stumbles heading down the final straight allowed Manchester City to close in and pip them at the post.

Brendan Rodgers, the man behind a sustained push for domestic dominance, lasted just one more full season at Anfield before being relieved of his duties, as the Reds slipped back into English football’s chasing pack.

Jurgen Klopp was appointed as his successor with the intention of breathing life back into a sleeping giant – with the German’s character, as much as his coaching ability, marking him out as a top target.

The rebuilding job remains a work in progress, but the foundations are down and a solid structure is being put in place.

It could be that the project is finished by May 2017, with Liverpool very much in the title race at present.

Whether they can stay the course remains to be seen, but they can take considerable heart from the fact that they have numerous key men performing at the peak of their powers.

Under Rodgers, a lot of responsibility was shouldered by Luis Suarez, with the Uruguayan frontman enjoying a remarkable run of form which landed him the Golden Boot and a big-money move to Barcelona.

He did have a talented supporting cast, but Liverpool’s class of 2016-17 are much more of a well-oiled unit than the one Rodgers pieced together.

Ex-Reds striker Aldridge wrote in the Liverpool Echo: “We were in a title race back in 2013/14 but the big difference then was that we had Luis Suarez who was frighteningly good. He was winning us games single-handedly.

“The likes of Daniel Sturridge, Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling were buzzing off Suarez. Now we’ve got four players doing that for us and it’s great to watch.

“This is more of a team. It’s not about one player. They have got belief in each other and we’re getting goals from all over the place.

“We won 6-1 [against Watford] without playing with an out-and-out striker. Daniel Sturridge came on and could have had a hat-trick. He hit the bar twice and their keeper pulled off a worldie.

“Having someone of Sturridge’s quality to bring off the bench is what dreams are made of. Divock Origi didn’t even get on the pitch.

“The balance of the team is spot on and we’ve got people on the bench chomping at the bit to get on. That’s exactly what you want as a football manager.”

GaryNeville

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo and Saha the only players I told Man Utd to sign - Neville

louis-saha-cristiano-ronaldo_1cfpz6gppn5zr1kid17c32ak10.jpg

Nov 8, 2016 16:01:47

The former defender admits there were two opponents that troubled the Red Devils enough for him to want them as team-mates, and both were snapped up

Gary Neville says Cristiano Ronaldo and Louis Saha were the only opponents that he willed Manchester United to sign.

There were not too many forwards that troubled the Red Devils enough to force them into a panic during their heyday, with the English game dominated by Sir Alex Ferguson’s troops.

Neville, though, admits that he found a particular pairing impressive and difficult to handle, and was delighted to see both end up as team-mates at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo was the first to catch his eye, with United having wasted little time in getting a deal in place for the Portuguese youngster following a friendly date with Sporting.

Neville was an interested spectator during that contest, but was among those to air their admiration for the talented youngster afterwards – unaware at the time that talks were being held to bring him to England.

Ronaldo would, of course, go on to enjoy a trophy-laden spell at Old Trafford, with his standing in the global game growing with each passing year.

Saha also enjoyed success with United – both domestically and in Europe – but injury troubles prevented him from making the impact he would have hoped for at the Theatre of Dreams.

Neville, though, was just happy to see the Frenchman in the same squad as him, having been ‘destroyed’ by the lively frontman during his time at Fulham.

On Ronaldo, Neville wrote in a column for Sky Sports: “After the match [against Sporting] I remember sending a text to my brother, saying 'we need to sign him' and apparently there was a lot of talk about him on the coach after the game.

“Obviously players should never be involved in signings, but he certainly made everyone sit up and take notice. I'd never heard of him and I'd never seen him before that night, but there was a huge excitement among the players afterwards.”

He added on Saha: “The only other opposition player I've felt like that about was Louis Saha. I remember playing against im as a centre-back when he was at Fulham and he destroyed me three seasons on the bounce. I was devastated when I had to play against him and I thought 'we've got to sign him'.

“He was clearly a different type of player to Cristiano, but we spoke about him in the dressing room in the same way. After that game against Sporting Lisbon, there was a great admiration and there was no doubt the players were all talking about Cristiano."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cascarino doubts Chelsea can rival Man City & Liverpool for title

antonio-conte-chelsea-premier-league_9xmhw723t0b01tfq8lrm38j0p.jpg

Nov 8, 2016 17:45:29

The former striker has been impressed by the resurgence since Antonio Conte tinkered with his formation, but is not convinced the Blues will take the title

Tony Cascarino is prepared to consider Chelsea as realistic Premier League title contenders but remains skeptical when it comes to their chances of actually lifting the trophy.

The Blues have hit a remarkable run of form over recent weeks, with five straight wins carrying them to second place in the table – just a point behind Liverpool.

That productive sequence of results has also included successive clean sheets, with Arsenal the last side to breach a watertight defensive unit in the league back on September 24.

While trying to explain such a sudden reversal in fortune, it is easy to trace performances back to the moment Antonio Conte decided to go with his favoured 3-4-3 formation.

That system has delivered rewards for the Italian in the past, and Chelsea are now reaping the benefits of a tactical approach that suits their boss and those on the playing staff.

Players that looked out of sorts last season have been reborn, with Diego Costa and Eden Hazard suddenly free of the shackles that dogged them throughout 2015-16.

The Blues are flying, with the notable scalps of Leicester, Manchester United and Everton among those to have been secured over recent weeks.

Former Stamford Bridge striker Cascarino admits to being impressed by a rejuvenated side, but fears efforts to recapture domestic dominance may come up short.

He believes Conte’s men will still struggle to contain the very best sides in the English top-flight, with Liverpool having already shown in west London this season that they need to be taken very seriously.

“I wouldn’t have said a month ago that Chelsea were title contenders”, Cascarino told Radio City Talk.

“But now that he has changed his formation, which has fitted well and he has given the freedom to [Eden] Hazard, who can just make things happen, I think they now look a much more dangerous team.

“I still don’t know how they are going to handle some very good footballing teams like Manchester City and Liverpool.

“I am not sure Chelsea can still do that.

"We will have to wait and see on that one.

"Everton were really poor on the day against Chelsea at the weekend."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carrick: Do not write off Man Utd's title chances just yet

michael-carrick_b5wqq43k69z310480w4pk6v4f.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 15, 2016 12:06:47

The veteran midfielder believes it is far too early to start ruling the Red Devils out of the race for the Premier League crown, despite their slow start to the season

Michael Carrick remains optimistic over Manchester United's chances of winning the Premier League title despite their underwhelming start to the season.

The likes of Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic arrived at Old Trafford in the transfer window, but Jose Mourinho's men are a disappointing sixth in the table after 11 games, trailing leaders Liverpool by eight points.

But midfielder Carrick told Sky Sports: "We want to be at the top challenging. We have had some ups and downs along the way, but it is not to say that we have given up on winning things just yet.

"It is too early for that and we have got too much quality and too much of a good team and squad to give up on anything.

"We just do not feel we have got the results our performances have warranted; we know it can change, we are not up to Christmas yet, there is still so much to play for and we still believe that when it comes near the end and when it counts we will be right up there."

On United's clash with Arsenal on Saturday, Carrick added: "Arsenal have got some really good players. When it clicks for them they are a very dangerous team and they have shown in their start to the season how dangerous they can be.

"But I think we can be quite dangerous as well and we probably have not quite clicked into top gear which, in some ways is a good thing, because we know there is plenty to come.

"And if we can just hang in there and not be too far away we feel when we do hit top form we will have a right say in it."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coutinho: Klopp brought winning mentality to Liverpool

philippe-coutinho-and-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-premier-league-09102016_tgaw0ll6f2ly17fz9bfjo0tfe.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 15, 2016 15:49:55

The former Dortmund boss has injected confidence into the squad and demands "hard work" and "dedication", according to the Brazilian

Philippe Coutinho feels Jurgen Klopp has brought a winning mentality to Liverpool and injected belief into the Anfield dressing room.

The Reds had to settle for eighth place in the Premier League following Klopp's arrival halfway through last season, but they have made an impressive start to 2016-17 and top the table after 11 games.

"The coach has brought this winning mentality. He emphasises it a lot," Coutinho told Liverpool's official website.

"He gives confidence to the players. I think we now believe more in our own potential and that has made us better on the field. Since he has arrived, he has implemented his own ideas.

"Of course, week by week, we train and practise depending on our next opponent. But he always demands the same thing: hard work with a lot of dedication."

Coutinho has formed a dangerous attacking partnership with Roberto Firmino this campaign and he has hailed his compatriot's contribution.

"Roberto is very intelligent, he is someone who thinks very fast and he tries to create room for the other players," he added.

"In each training session, we get used to each other's styles and we get to know each other and apply that on the pitch.

"Firmino is a very skilful player, he has incredible ball control, it makes the difference for our team in those areas. He scores in many games."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte and Simeone focus more on tactics than Mourinho - Courtois

jose-mourinho-vs-antonio-conte_15o5li1r6x6ou10irbxkzs72fe.jpg

Nov 15, 2016 12:51:30

The Chelsea goalkeeper says his current club boss spends more time on game management than those in charge at Atletico Madrid and Manchester United

Thibaut Courtois claims current Chelsea boss Antonio Conte places greater emphasis on tactics than his predecessor Jose Mourinho.

The Belgium international also considers the Italian coach to spend more time on game management than Atletico Madrid’s Diego Simeone – who he spent three years working under during productive loan spells – and his former national team manager Marc Wilmots.

That should, perhaps, come as no surprise, with Conte having been schooled in a Serie A system that prides itself on being tactically astute.

He also comes across as being very particular, with everything planned in minute detail in an effort to avoid any potential mishaps.

Conte is, however, a proven performer at the highest level – both as a player and in the dugout – and has found a formula which works for him.

This season alone, he has transformed the fortunes of Chelsea after reverting to a 3-4-3 formation - a similar system to the 3-5-2 structure he used in charge of both Juventus and Italy.

He knows how to get the best out of a setup involving three defenders and tweaked the playing staff at Stamford Bridge over the summer accordingly in order to fit that particular mould.

In contrast, Manchester United boss Mourinho and Atletico stalwart Simeone are more reactionary in their methods, with greater emphasis placed on spirit and rolling with the punches than following a set pre-game pattern.

That is not to say that they do not have a plan, it is just that they go about their business in a different manner.

Courtios would appear to echo that way of thinking, telling La Tribune: “Conte is the one that works most tactically. Then there is Simeone, then Mourinho and finally Wilmots."

The Chelsea goalkeeper has also acknowledged that switching formation on the back of a mixed start to the 2016-17 campaign has helped to turn Conte’s side into serious Premier League title challengers.

He added: “We started the season 4-3-3. We started well with three wins but then we drew 2-2 at Swansea and lost against Liverpool playing a bad game. That was also the case against Arsenal.

“Then Conte said, ‘we will change’. At Hull, things were rather mixed at first and then against Leicester, Manchester United, Southampton and especially against Everton, we really saw the quality of the team.”

Guardiola

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City boss Guardiola cautious over latest Kompany injury

vincent-kompany_g7o7pcv73f371ry1a9fcdf53y.jpg

Jamie Smith
Nov 20, 2016 16:45:59

The Belgium international was forced off with a head problem during Saturday's Premier League win at Crystal Palace and must be handled with care

Pep Guardiola will manage Vincent Kompany's latest injury with caution after the Manchester City captain was substituted during their 2-1 Premier League win at Crystal Palace.

Kompany suffered a head injury in an accidental collision with City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo and, although the Belgium international tried to play on, he was replaced before half-time.

The defender is now a doubt for City's crunch Champions League clash at Borussia Monchengladbach on Wednesday after Guardiola indicated he will not rush his skipper's return.

"He had a problem with his head," said Guardiola. "[He got] a kick.

"Now we're going to control him. You have to be careful with head injuries.

"Hopefully it won't be anything serious."

Kompany was a late withdrawal from the Belgium starting XI to face Netherlands during the international break and Saturday's game was his second Premier League start of the season.

City were indebted to a double from the returning Yaya Toure as they recorded a 2-1 win at Selhurst Park.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rooney made a 'bad judgement call' but should not lose captaincy - Hoddle

19jkhvoqlxxi61478c11ime8dd.jpg

Iain Strachan
Nov 20, 2016 13:47:51

The 59-year-old feels feels the Manchester United man has let himself down with his recent behaviour but does not believe he should be stripped of the armband

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle says Wayne Rooney "made a bad judgement call" after being pictured, seemingly drunk, at a wedding held in the national team hotel.

Rooney has been in the headlines after photographs emerged of the Manchester United and England skipper apparently intoxicated with guests, having reportedly started drinking 24 hours after the 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Scotland at Wembley on Friday, and staying at the event until the early hours of Sunday morning.

Hoddle, who managed England at the 1998 World Cup in France, encountered a similar lapse in discipline when Teddy Sheringham overindulged shortly before the tournament.

And while Hoddle believes there are clear parallels between the two situations, he does not expect Rooney - who has lashed out at the media's handling of the incident - to be stripped of the captaincy.

"As with Wayne, Teddy was an experienced member of the squad," he wrote in the Daily Mail. "As such, I felt he should have been more sensible.

"As England captain and the most experienced player in the squad, Wayne knows the responsibilities he has.

"But having picked up a minor injury on Friday night it was unlikely that he was going to play on Tuesday; as such he had another six days before a game. And he was on a night off.

"The sensible and classy thing to have done would be to drop into the wedding, have a couple of photos taken with the bride and groom and then go to bed. In staying around until later he has made a bad judgment call.

"It's right that he apologises. But it's not a case of having let people down — he'll be annoyed that he's let himself down.

"But I don't think there's any question that he loses the captaincy over this. For one, we don't know how much he drank. Photos can be deceptive, and, by all accounts, he was fit for training the next day. Players drink much less now than when I was a player and that's positive.

"As a manager you have to able to trust players. No one has a problem with them having a couple of glasses of wine with a meal on a night off. It's knowing where the line has to be drawn that is important. Wayne misjudged it and that's why [interim manager] Gareth [Southgate] will have to speak to him."

Rooney was left out of the starting XI for Manchester United's Premier League match at home to Arsenal on Saturday, coming off the bench in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea slump not just Mourinho's fault, insists Courtois

jose-mourinho-cropped_1e5i1h1l9jgym1ttjy8fr5ifbz.jpg

Joe Wright
Nov 20, 2016 12:53:14

Players of the Stamford Bridge club were as much to blame for last season's slump as the Portuguese, according to the Blues keeper

Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois insists that Jose Mourinho was not solely to blame for Chelsea's dismal form last season.

Mourinho, who guided Chelsea to the Premier League title and the EFL Cup in 2014-15, departed in December after they won just four of their opening 16 games in the top flight.

Guus Hiddink took temporary charge but was unable to reverse their fortunes, with the London club ultimately finishing 10th in the table, with no trophies to their name.

Under Antonio Conte, however, Chelsea have re-emerged as title contenders, winning five league games in a row without conceding a goal.

But Courtois maintains the players were as culpable as Mourinho for last season's slump, even though a change in manager has ultimately galvanised their fortunes.

"He gave me a chance to play at Chelsea, he's a top manager," the Belgium international told the Daily Mail. "Sometimes it's not only the manager [at fault], but he's the first one that people look at.

"You see it everywhere in football, when results are not there then the first guy who has to go is the manager. It's not always the managers; sometimes it's also the players who we have to blame.

"I don't think we as a team last year were on the same level as the year we were champions.

"It is not only about the manager, but obviously the club has to make a decision at one point and they decided to let him go.

"We decided to play and finish the season as well as we could but we were 10th. That's obviously very bad for Chelsea."

Courtois says Chelsea's form gives them genuine hope of a title challenge, though he is wary of complacency creeping into the dressing room.

"He's passionate and convincing in his words and that helps obviously if you're a manager," Courtois said of Conte. "After these last five games, I think you would say we are there. But we have to go step by step.

"Last season we had some difficult games in September which we lost. So we have to go step by step and we will see where we end. We face some good opponents.

Middlesbrough is a hard team to beat and then Tottenham and Manchester City, so these are important weeks for us."

Courtois feels Eden Hazard's resurgence is also down to Conte, with his compatriot having been named the Premier League's player of the month after a string of superb displays in Chelsea's 3-4-3 system.

"He's playing very well and obviously he has more freedom in attacking situations," Courtois said. "Sometimes when we recovered the ball last season he had to come from the back and now he's already higher up the pitch.

"So his actions can lead more to goals and assists and that's maybe the biggest change."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

The curse of Mourinho: Why Man Utd are destined to finish sixth

jose-mourinho-manchester-united-2016_196z4z41ze3qw1479o8bbwn6v4.jpg

Stephen Darwin
Nov 25, 2016 17:41:53

The Red Devils have made a stuttering start to the 2016-17 campaign and find themselves outside the Champions League spots - does this stat prove that's where they'll finish?!

Manchester United fans will surely have had one eye on Premier League title glory when Jose Mourinho was first announced as the club's new manager.

The signings of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan only helped raise expectations, as did the three wins from their first three league matches.

It's not all gone according to plan for the Red Devils since then, though, with United currently sitting sixth in the table, a full nine points behind leaders Chelsea.

The 4-0 demolition of Feyenoord on Thursday night has gone some way to lifting supporters once again, however, and with struggling West Ham next up at Old Trafford, there's even more room for optimism.

But it will all end in disaster for the Manchester club when May comes around, if the below stat is more significant than just being a mere coincidence.

In his five full seasons in the Premier League, Mourinho-managed teams have always finished in the same position they've found themselves in after 12 matches.

Three of those five seasons ended with a title triumph - we're not sure United fans would be quite as satisfied with sixth place and another season of Europa League football!

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Better than under Mourinho, Chelsea are playing best football in 10 years'

diego-costa-premier-league-chelsea-v-everton-051116_1isqylxe4gpti1tyfjtap4wrx9.jpg

Nov 25, 2016 17:38:30

Paul Parker believes his former club have to be considered serious challengers for the Premier League, with Antonio Conte among the best bosses in the business

Former Chelsea defender Paul Parker believes the Blues are playing their best football in a decade.

Antonio Conte has guided his side to the top of the Premier League table on the back of six successive wins.

That run has seen Chelsea net 17 times without being breached, with a tactical switch at Stamford Bridge to a 3-4-3 formation delivering handsome rewards.

Parker says Chelsea must now be considered serious contenders to take the top-flight crown, with momentum and confidence firmly behind them.

“Chelsea have to be taken seriously as title contenders and, to be honest, if they were going to contest the league I’d be pleased,” the ex-England international wrote in his column for Eurosport.

“It’s the first time I’ve said that but I’ve really, really enjoyed watching them. It’s the best I’ve seen them play in 10 years.”

The Blues have enjoyed considerable success in recent years, with four Premier League titles secured since Jose Mourinho first arrived in west London back in 2004.

He put Chelsea back on top after returning for a second spell, but the Portuguese was renowned for favouring substance over style.

That is no longer the case, with Conte having released the shackles and allowed key men to express themselves.

The Italian has adjusted quickly to life in England, following a tricky start, and Parker considers the former Juventus boss to be a better tactician than a highly-rated rival coach working across London at Tottenham.

“I’d choose him over [Mauricio] Pochettino, just for the way he is, his whole manner,” he said.

“You know what you are getting. You don’t need to be told you have done something wrong, but at the same time he’s a person that players want to play for and you see how he gets teams playing and what he gets them to achieve.

“When things weren’t going right in the early part of the season, he didn’t go naming names. He could have done, and picked out players that weren't fit enough for example – all the things that other managers do when they arrive at new clubs. But he’s done everything in the background – whether it be berating players, changing structure or whatever – within seven days after losing to Arsenal 3-0.”

Chelsea will be going in search of a seventh straight win this weekend when they welcome Spurs to Stamford Bridge.

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger pays glowing tribute to 'massive player' Gerrard

m7ywhdcqyjvz19giofqw2p43i.jpg

Nov 25, 2016 17:31:11

The Arsenal manager described the former Liverpool star as a complete midfielder and expressed admiration for his loyalty to the Reds over 17 seasons

Arsene Wenger has hailed Steven Gerrard as a "massive player" after the former Liverpool midfielder announced his retirement on Thursday.

Riise destroys Diouf after Gerrard jibe

Gerrard, 36, spent two years with the Los Angeles Galaxy after establishing himself as one of Liverpool's greatest players of all time across 17 seasons at Anfield.

He made over 700 appearances in all competitions with the Reds, scoring the fifth-most goals (186) in club history and winning the FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League and UEFA Cup as well as a host of individual awards.

Arsenal boss Wenger described Gerrard as a complete midfielder and expressed admiration for his loyalty to Liverpool despite attracting interest from other clubs throughout his career.

"Overall, you can just salute the fantastic player, who has shown... I think he had the qualities that every midfielder dreams to have," Wenger told reporters.

"He could score goals, he could cross the field, he could shoot from distance, he could cross the ball, he could dribble. He had pace, he had commitment, motivation - it's a massive player, Steven Gerrard.

"And on top of that, he was loyal to Liverpool, so that's a quality that you don't find a lot nowadays."

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger happy to wait before assessing Arsenal's November

arsenewenger-cropped_w0g5rfc3ybqh1ig74sbawlhq9.jpg

Nov 25, 2016 16:15:37

The Gunners have faced a tricky run of fixtures during a month that has not been kind to them in the past, but their French coach is reserving judgement for now

Arsene Wenger will wait a week before assessing Arsenal's performances in November, having drawn three games on the bounce.

The Gunners have slipped to fourth in the Premier League and are also now unlikely to top their Champions League group following a midweek draw with Paris Saint-Germain, but Wenger insists the quality of the opposition they have faced in recent weeks must be taken into consideration.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's game with Bournemouth, he said: "I would say it depends on what we do in the last week of the month to really assess it, but we haven't lost despite having difficult games – Spurs, Manchester United, PSG.

"Three difficult games in a row, but let's see how we finish."

The stalemate with PSG followed on from equally frustrating home league draws against Tottenham and Middlesbrough and Wenger called on his players to rouse the crowd when Eddie Howe's men visit Emirates Stadium at the weekend.

"We need to re-find our game as, although we didn't lose, that won't last if you don't create chances. We need to find our pacy combinations, we have missed that fluency," he added.

"It's down to us to create the momentum for the crowd. The crowd are behind us and we want to regain our fluency of movement. It has not been there over the past three games.

"The positive is that we haven't lost, but it's not positive enough for us, we want to win games. Sometimes you go through a spell where it's less easy for you, but we want to get back to the three-pointers."

Spanish striker Lucas Perez has resumed training, but will not be considered until next week's EFL Cup quarter-final tie with Southampton.

Olivier Giroud is fit and may get another start after being named in the XI against PSG, although Wenger was non-committal on any possible changes for Bournemouth.

"It's just game by game, I make the decision on the next game," he said.

"I thought in this game [against PSG] his physical presence could give them problems at the back. We need everyone on board and it's just the next game that matters."

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

No Champions League an advantage for Chelsea - Conte

conte-cropped_1vib738jgtueo19z5tebznhujn.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Nov 25, 2016 16:05:18

The manager wants to get into the competition next season, but he is doing his best to reap the benefits now of not having the fixture congestion it brings

Antonio Conte would prefer Chelsea to be playing in the Champions League, but believes it is an advantage for him that they are not.

Chelsea finished a lowly 10th last season in a dismal defence of their Premier League title and are playing no part in European competition this time around.

But the lack of continental football appears to be benefiting Chelsea, who are a point ahead of Liverpool and Manchester City at the top of the Premier League after 12 games in their first season under Conte's stewardship.

They will look to extend a run of six successive league wins on Saturday against Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.

Asked if not having to compete in the Champions League was a plus, Conte replied: "It's important to have more days to work because I am working with the players in this club only four months.

"When you arrive with a new philosophy it's important to have the possibility to work. This can be an advantage, but for sure I'd prefer to play the Champions League."

Tottenham were knocked out of the Champions League on Tuesday after losing 2-1 at Group E rivals Monaco.

But Conte anticipates a reaction to that exit from Spurs, having seen Mauricio Pochettino's men claim a point at Arsenal four days after succumbing to defeat at home to Bayer Leverkusen.

"Every game is different, after the defeat against Leverkusen, Tottenham played a very good game against Arsenal," Conte added.

"For this reason we have to know we will have a tough game against a strong team. It will be another game in the league, this is a special derby for both teams."

Chelsea drew 2-2 with Tottenham in the corresponding fixture back in May, a result which handed Leicester City the title.

That contest featured 12 bookings and Conte is keen for his players to keep their emotions in check this weekend.

"It's important to win the game and play good football. These are the most important things. It's right to have passion, but to use it in the right way," he explained.