• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood confident of Benteke Villa stay

23 May 2015

849270header.jpg

Tim Sherwood has no doubt that Christian Benteke will remain an Aston Villa player next season, despite reported interest from elsewhere.

Benteke has scored 15 goals in all competitions this term, with 13 of those coming in a particularly fruitful spell since Sherwood was appointed as manager in February.

That form has seen Benteke linked with the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham, although his agent stated last month that the forward was not focused on transfer talk.

Sherwood, who has successfully guided Aston Villa to Premier League safety and next week's FA Cup final against Arsenal, is confident of retaining his in-form hitman.

"Christian is only a young man but he's very mature in the way he behaves," Sherwood said. "I think he's handled the situation well.

"I have no reason to believe he wants to seek employment elsewhere. He seems to be very happy here and this morning, at training, he was smiling.

"He knows there are big games coming up Sunday [against Burnley] and the cup final and I think he wants to be at this football club. I'm convinced of that.

"I'd believe him if he told me he wanted to be at this club next season but he hasn't told me because I haven't actually asked him the question."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allardyce not interested in Newcastle revenge

23 May 2015

849287header.jpg

Sam Allardyce is determined to end West Ham's season with a win over Newcastle United, but he insists he is not motivated by the chance to relegate his former club from the Premier League.

Sacked by Newcastle in 2008, it has been suggested that Allardyce's latest return to Tyneside could see him lead West Ham for the final time, with his contract expiring in June.

But Allardyce only has West Ham's best interests at heart at St James' Park.

"It's not about what happens to Newcastle for me. Some have suggested that I'm all up for us winning to send them down, but it's far too far down the road for any of that stuff," Allardyce said.

"It's been a long time since we parted company and looking back to the past is never what I've been about because you can't affect what happens in the past. You learn from it and move on to the future.

"Since Newcastle I've had a fantastic time at Blackburn and then here, at West Ham. It's nearly seven years since I left Newcastle.

"I'm up for winning on Sunday for West Ham because that's where I work and we want to finish with the 50 points we targeted at the start of the season. Hopefully we can achieve that goal.

"We're all disappointed that we haven't achieved more than we have done.

"We could have had a great season and matched, with a bit more luck, the best season West Ham have had.

"That was fifth, which would be very difficult in the current climate, but we did have the chance after Christmas. We haven't achieved the results our performances deserve."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monk: Michu likely to move on

23 May 2015

849290header.jpg

Michu will more than likely move away from Swansea City when the transfer window reopens, according to manager Garry Monk.

The forward enjoyed a stellar first campaign at the Liberty Stadium, scoring 18 Premier League goals in 35 appearances.

An injury-riddled campaign saw him play just 17 times in the league in 2013-14, and he departed for a Napoli on a season-long loan back in July.

However, the Spaniard has been blighted by more injuries, making just six appearances in all competitions for the Serie A side, and Monk believes the player is set to move on.

"We'll speak in the summer and see how he feels about where his future lies and sort it out from there," he said.

"It was Michu's decision last summer to move to Napoli and I supported that decision for various reasons.

"It's unlikely Michu's opinion has changed suddenly after being away from the club for a full year and wanting to try something new.

"You would imagine he'd want the same, but until I hear from him I don't know what he wants to do this time around."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Snoop Dogg reveals his new favourite team - Norwich City!

213422_heroa.jpg

May 23, 2015 16:46:00

The Canaries, who take on Middlesbrough in the Championship Play-Off final on Monday with a place in the Premier League up for grabs, have picked up another famous fan

Norwich City have won over another famous fan as American rapper Snoop Dogg has pledged his support to the Canaries just days before they take on Middlesbrough in the Championship Play-Off final.

The 43-year-old, real name Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr., is in Norwich for BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend and, after being given the club's shirt, was more than happy to show off the famous yellow and green jersey.

Snoop joins a long list of celebrity fans who already follow the Canaries, including joint majority shareholder and TV cook Delia Smith, Stephen Fry, actor Hugh Jackman, former Labour MP Ed Balls, popstar Myleene Klass and Sir David Frost.

It remains to be seen whether Delia & Co. can convince their new comrade to join them at Wembley on Monday to see if Norwich can claim a place in the Premier League and bounce straight back up after last season's relegation.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle United v West Ham: Carver dreading ´unbearable´ drop

22 May 2015

848731header.jpg

John Carver insists a second Premier League relegation in six years would be "unbearable" for Newcastle United.

Head coach Carver leads Newcastle into their final game of the season at home to West Ham on Sunday, with the club vying with Hull City to avoid the last remaining spot in the bottom three.

Newcastle sit 17th, two points clear of third-bottom Hull, who host Manchester United at the KC Stadium. A victory for Hull and anything less for Newcastle would see Carver's men slip back into the Championship.

Both clubs were involved in the relegation scrap at the end of the 2008-09 campaign, when a 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa consigned Newcastle to the drop.

"I can't believe it's come to this, but it has and we've got to deal with it," said Carver.

"I've told the guys to try and stay off social media and keep away from watching other football because that can mentally fatigue you and add more pressure.

"We have four or five players who were here the last time this team was relegated and so they know what it feels like - I know what it feels like.

"It was hard to take and that's stayed with me. I'll use that in my head and I'll use it as a motivational tool to try and get a reaction out of the players.

"To be honest, it doesn't even bear thinking about for me how unbearable it would be if this club dropped down, I don't know how long it would take to get over it.

"In the last 10 games we have had some big performances from big players, but we have been inconsistent that's for sure.

"There are no second chances now, it won't do next week or the week after. It's the last game of the season and it's all about this one cup final. It's a case of winner takes it all."

Newcastle are on a wretched run of form, with just one point from 10 matches, while their visitors West Ham have won only one of their past seven.

Uncertainty continues to surround the future of West Ham manager Sam Allardyce as his current contract expires at the end of the season and he will discover his fate on Monday.

Between now and then, Allardyce returns to St James' Park and says the chance to relegate his former club serves as no motivation for him.

"It's too far down the road for any of that stuff," said Allardyce.

"It's been a long time since we parted company. For me, looking back is not what I am really about.

"Since Newcastle, I have had a fantastic time at Blackburn Rovers and a fantastic time here since then, which is nearly seven years. Time flies doesn't it?"

Allardyce must do without James Collins (calf), while Guy Demel is a doubt with a similar problem and Kevin Nolan missed the 2-1 defeat to Everton last weekend due to personal reasons.

Carver, meanwhile, has doubts over Massadio Haidara (knee) and Siem de Jong (thigh) as he looks to lead Newcastle to safety.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aston Villa v Burnley: Sherwood wanting win ahead of cup final

22 May 2015

848768header.jpg

With Premier League safety secure, Tim Sherwood wants to repay Aston Villa's fans for their support with a final-day home victory over Burnley on Sunday.

A few weeks ago, it looked as though this fixture would be a crunch relegation clash, but recent results have seen Villa pull away from danger, while the visitors are already consigned to the drop.

Villa's survival was confirmed last weekend, although a 6-1 hammering at Southampton meant they were reliant on Hull City's 2-0 defeat at Tottenham later on Saturday.

Ahead of an FA Cup final meeting with Arsenal next weekend, Sherwood - full of praise for opposite number Sean Dyche - says it is important his players send supporters away from Villa Park in buoyant mood.

"We want to go out with a win. We owe it to our fans who have stuck by us and helped us over the line," he said.

"We want to send them home happy. It's a full house. We want to give a good performance.

"We'll only be celebrating if we win the FA Cup. They [Villa's players] are all fighting for their places. Nobody's place is safe. It's all up for grabs."

Dyche has earned plaudits for the way Burnley have played this season, but that has ultimately counted for little and the Lancashire club were relegated two weeks ago despite winning 1-0 at Hull.

Much like Sherwood, Dyche wants to end a difficult campaign on a high note and ensure fans enter the off-season in positive mood as they prepare for life back in the second tier.

"It doesn't seem two minutes since the first game against Chelsea, but the last game is still one where we want to perform to win," he said.

"We saw off our home fans last week [in a 0-0 draw with Stoke City] and we want to do that for our away fans. They've been terrific, absolutely outstanding, so hopefully we can give them a win to go away happy with.

"They've been an absolute shining light, across the Premier League, in how they've supported us.

"I think the fans are in a wiser place. They'll have learned from the last time they were in the Premier League and how tough it is to come away from it and get back in there."

Kieran Richardson is a doubt for Aston Villa with a calf injury, as are Nathan Baker and Ciaran Clark (both knee).

Burnley, for whom top-scorer Danny Ings is set to make his final appearance with his contract due to expire, have no new injury worries, but remain without long-term absentees Kevin Long and Dean Marney.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke City v Liverpool: Rodgers keen to move focus away from Sterling

22 May 2015

848777header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is turning his attention to on-field matters as his side travel to Stoke City for their final Premier League clash of the season.

The past week has been dominated by talk of Raheem Sterling's future, with the player reportedly telling the club that he wants to leave.

Sterling was booed by some fans as he picked up Liverpool's young player of the year award on Tuesday, and his agent, Aidy Ward, subsequently stated his client would "definitely" not be signing a new deal.

In a news conference on Friday, Rodgers said he expected talks over Sterling's contract to resume, but was quick to shift focus to Sunday's trip to the Britannia Stadium.

"I've said at the beginning of the season that [the aim] is to finish as high as we possibly can," he said. "That is the aim for the game.

"Our season doesn't finish until the whistle blows on Sunday so it'll be a tough game for us away at Stoke but we go there and we want to finish the season strong.

"I always believe it's a good sign of the team if they can keep going to the very end and that'll be our ambition against Stoke."

Sunday marks Steven Gerrard's final Liverpool appearance, and the midfielder will be desperate to go out on a high after last week's Anfield farewell finished in an anti-climactic 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace.

"I'm sure for Steven it's been a huge relief. Leading into your last game at Anfield, which has been his home for 17 years, there was probably a whole load of emotion in that last week for him," Rodgers said.

"Unfortunately we couldn't get the result, our performance level wasn't what we expected, but I think the crowd and the supporters recognised the moment and gave him a great send-off.

"So I'm sure for him it's a huge sigh of relief and now - which he has - he can work well this week and concentrate on Sunday's game."

A win will secure fifth spot for Liverpool, while Stoke are already certain to finish ninth but can improve on what is already a club-record Premier League points haul.

"We want to end the season in the manner that the season has gone as a whole, with a positive outcome," Stoke manager Mark Hughes said.

"We have done really well throughout the season and I always like to finish the campaign with a win.

"Liverpool have something riding on the game too; they could drop a couple of places if other results go against them, so they will be here knowing they have a job to do.

"We are ready for it though, and we want to go out there on Sunday and put on a show."

Mamadou Sakho (hamstring) and Mario Balotelli are concerns for the visitors, while Hughes will recall regular number one Asmir Begovic in place of Jack Butland.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hull City v Manchester United: Bruce accepts survival is tall order

22 May 2015

848827header.jpg

Hull City manager Steve Bruce accepts it is going to be a tall order for his side to engineer a final-day escape from Premier League relegation when they take on Manchester United.

Bruce's men welcome Louis van Gaal's side to the KC Stadium on Sunday knowing they will be relegated to the Championship with anything less than a win.

Even if Hull do secure all three points they will stay will suffer the ignominy of the drop should Newcastle United beat West Ham at St James' Park, although they will be safe with a victory if John Carver's team fail to achieve the same result.

The situation is strikingly similar to that of six years ago when Hull survived following a 1-0 loss to United as Newcastle slipped to a defeat by the same scoreline versus another team in claret and blue - Aston Villa.

Bruce has a dreadful record against his former club, having lost 17 and drawn four of the 21 games in which he has faced them as a manager.

"It's always difficult [against United] but we know we're capable if we play to the best of our ability, as we've seen when we beat Liverpool a couple of weeks ago," Bruce said.

"It's been a long, difficult season for us. I hope, a bit like when we got a result against Cardiff to get in the Premier League - it reminds me a lot of that - hopefully our moment is about to come. It's going to be a tall order but we know we've got a chance."

Asked about the prospect of relegating Newcastle, who he supported growing up, Bruce added: "All I'm interested in is the club that employ me at the minute.

"We didn't expect to be in this position but we are. Let's hope we've got one final twist can go our way."

Hull have no new injury concerns to worry about, with midfielder Jake Livermore still suspended after failing a drugs test.

It remains to be seen whether David de Gea will feature for United after the goalkeeper picked up a hip injury against Arsenal. Jonny Evans is a doubt with a knock, but Wayne Rooney is fit to return from a leg injury.

Fourth-placed United need a substantial and improbable swing in goal difference to steal third place from Arsenal. But, although that appears extremely unlikely, defender Chris Smalling is keen to end the season on the right note.

"We don't have a great deal to play for but, as the manager has said before, we always play for that pride," Smalling told MUTV.

"Hull obviously have to win the game and that will make for an entertaining match, where they won't be able to defend like a lot of teams do – they'll have to come out at us.

"I think that will make it a much more open game and a more enjoyable one for us."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester City v QPR: Ramsey expects doomed Rangers to show pride

22 May 2015

848832header.jpg

Chris Ramsey expects his QPR side to "respect the shirt" when they bow out of the Premier League at Leicester City on Sunday determined to avoid finishing bottom of the table.

QPR's fate was sealed with two games remaining when they were embarrassingly hammered 6-0 at Manchester City earlier this month.

The London club responded by beating Newcastle United 2-1 at Loftus Road last weekend, but head into the final game of the season at the foot of the table on goal difference.

Ramsey was appointed as head coach on a permanent basis this week, signing a three-year deal, and is under no illusions as to the size of the task he has taken on.

For the time being, though, the 53-year-old has challenged his players to finish a dismal campaign on a high note at the end of a week in which Charlie Austin received his first England call-up.

He said: "We have got another game to play and we don't want it to be a farce. We want people to go out and show what they can do.

"I'm hoping there are going to be some youngsters will be involved at some stage. But whoever takes the field has to be worthy of putting a QPR shirt on and carrying out the task for the club.

"They need to respect the shirt and at least put a shift in. I'm hoping the players can play for some pride; we don't want to come bottom of the league."

Striker Austin could make his last appearance for the club, with the striker reportedly a target for several clubs after scoring 17 Premier League goals in his first season in the top flight.

Reece Grego-Cox impressed after coming on as a half-time substitute against Newcastle and Ramsey stated that other young players could get their chance at the King Power Stadium.

Goalkeeper Robert Green, who is also reportedly in demand, will not feature due to the concussion he suffered against Newcastle, while Steven Caulker (broken hand) is set to miss out.

While QPR prepare for life back in the Championship, Leicester completed the great escape with a draw at Sunderland last time out.

Nigel Pearson's side looked doomed for much of the season, but six wins from their last eight matches ensured they avoided an immediate return to the second tier.

Leicester manager Pearson has warned his players not to down tools with the job done.

"A win would be a fitting finish, but we're playing a side wanting to finish positively too," he said.

"We must be wary and respectful of QPR. Psychologically, it is important to finish with a win. We can enjoy it, but only right we go into any game giving as much as we can."

Leicester duo Matty James and Zoumana Bakayogo (both knee) will miss out, while there is a doubt over David Nugent (calf).

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea v Sunderland: Champions set to finally lift trophy

22 May 2015

848861header.jpg

Chelsea will lift the Premier League trophy for a fourth time at Stamford Bridge on Sunday and opponents Sunderland also have cause to celebrate.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea side confirmed their status as champions two weeks ago with a 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace and, although there were jubilant scenes on the field and in the stands following that game, the official title ceremony will take place this weekend on the final day.

Mourinho's men have been dominant this season, especially in the second half of the campaign, and - despite a surprise 3-0 loss at West Brom on Monday - could finish 2014-15 as many as 11 points clear of nearest rivals Manchester City.

But the Portuguese believes Sunday will struggle to top the euphoria of securing top spot against Palace.

"The trophy object means less than the feeling. For me the feeling was Crystal Palace," he said.

"I understand people need time to organise things and the ceremony needs time. But the reality is for me when you do it."

While Chelsea cruised to the title, Sunderland have battled at the opposite end of the table, but head into Sunday able to play without pressure after securing survival on Wednesday.

A gritty 0-0 draw at Arsenal ensured the club will retain its Premier League status next season and completed a fine rescue job by Dick Advocaat, who has picked up 12 points from his eight matches in charge.

Advocaat, who is set to make a decision over his future next week, was unable to keep his emotions in check when the survival mission was successful and brought him to tears.

"I was not intending to do it [cry]. It was [assistant] Bert [van Lingen]'s fault," he said. "From the beginning when we arrived here, together with everybody who was involved with the club, we gave everything to them and them to us to stay up.

"Then when he started, I couldn't stop it any more. But I don't care about that. It was a big, big relief. If you get a draw at Arsenal, knowing otherwise what could happen on Sunday, it's a great, great feeling."

Goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon, the hero of that stalemate at Arsenal, will miss Sunday's clash due to a knee injury, while striker Danny Graham (ankle) is doubtful.

Mourinho may be without Eden Hazard, who had surgery to remove three wisdom teeth on Wednesday, and Cesc Fabregas following his red card at West Brom. Ramires (illness) and Kurt Zouma (knee) are doubtful.

Should he fail to recover in time, it would be the first time that Hazard has missed a league game this season. Captain John Terry is set to complete his record of playing every minute of the campaign.

Branislav Ivanovic has also started every match, missing only a couple of minutes when he was sent off in stoppage time of the 1-1 draw at Manchester United back in October.

Mourinho hinted on Friday that he will give Premier League debuts to Andreas Christensen and Jeremie Boga, both part of this season's UEFA Youth League-winning side.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City v Southampton: Koeman expects no favours from hosts

22 May 2015

848865header.jpg

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman does not believe Manchester City will do his side any favours in their chase for European football on Sunday.

The teams meet at the Etihad Stadium in the final round of Premier League fixtures and, along with the battle between Hull City and Newcastle United to avoid relegation, the fight for a place in the UEFA Europa League is one of the top-flight storylines yet to reach its denouement.

City are already assured of second place and their spot in the UEFA Champions League group stage for next season, but seventh-placed Southampton will have to muscle their way past Tottenham or Liverpool - one and two points ahead respectively - to ensure their ticket to the continent via a top-six finish.

"They are professional, they're playing at home and they'd like to finish their season in a good way," Koeman said of Sunday's hosts.

"It's a tough one. They have a strong team with good individual players, but we believe in ourselves that we can get a good result.

"It's still a fantastic season. Of course it makes it more special if we reach Europe in league football."

Tottenham and Liverpool travel to Everton and Stoke City respectively, and Koeman believes Southampton will have a chance to force their way into the top six.

"If we win on Sunday, I think that means that we will be sixth or fifth in the league because I think not all the other teams will win difficult away games," he added. "I don't think they will both win away, but ours is maybe the most difficult.

"But we've beaten Manchester United, we had a draw against Chelsea - why can't we win against Manchester City?"

If Arsenal triumph over Aston Villa in the FA Cup final, seventh would be enough for a place in Europe.

The fixture will also see Frank Lampard wave goodbye to the Premier League ahead of his move to New York City, who loaned the legendary midfielder to the Etihad Stadium outfit for the season following his Chelsea exit at the end of last term.

Asked for his assessment of Lampard's contribution, manager Manuel Pellegrini said: "Very pleased. I think Frank is one of the most important players in Premier League history.

"His career is brilliant, he's a great professional and I think it's been a proud moment for this team to have him here playing for the season."

Southampton are without Morgan Schneiderlin (knee) and Dusan Tadic (groin), while Jay Rodriguez (knee) is set to travel with the squad but will not be considered for selection.

Samir Nasri (groin) is City's only absentee through injury.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Crystal Palace v Swansea City: Pardew admits to talent envy

22 May 2015

848875header.jpg

Alan Pardew will be facing a side with talent he envies when Crystal Palace finish the Premier League season against Swansea City.

Palace welcome Swansea to Selhurst Park on Sunday with their top-flight survival long since secured and a top-10 finish still a possibility thanks to a revival overseen by Pardew.

Swansea have enjoyed a similarly impressive campaign, having already set a record Premier League points total and sealed the club's highest finish in the division in eighth.

Asked if Swansea are a model for his side to follow, Pardew replied: "It won't be the same as us because we're different. We're in London, it's a little bit more energised here in the way we play and the way we are as people.

"We will never be the same as Swansea, but that doesn't mean to say we don't admire them and take our hat off to what they've achieved.

"I think the key to their success over the last four or five years is [chairman] Huw Jenkins selecting good managers and selecting good players.

"They have some outstanding players, by the way, that we envy. That is why they are where they are."

Palace have no new injury worries, although goalkeeper Julian Speroni - who signed a one-year contract extension on Friday - will not play as the club are keen instead for fans to buy tickets for his upcoming testimonial.

Angel Rangel is a doubt for Swansea after missing last weekend's defeat to Manchester City, while Jordi Amat (foot), Ki Sung-yueng (knee), Thomas Carroll, Kyle Naughton, Nelson Oliveira and Wayne Routledge (all ankle) are all out.

Neither side has anything meaningful to play for, but Swansea manager Garry Monk is relishing what he believes will be a difficult trip to south London.

"I thought they [Palace] were excellent against Liverpool last weekend [a 3-1 Palace win at Anfield] and they are a threat going forward with their attacking players," Monk said.

"It will be a difficult game, they are still fighting to move up a couple of places in the table and we're expecting a tough contest.

"We had a fantastic start to the season and have been the most consistent that I can remember in this league.

"But we want to try and finish on a high - we have a lot of fans going travelling to support us and to finish with a win is always nice."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal v West Brom: Wenger calls for focus

22 May 2015

849094header.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger welcomed final-day pressure on his team as they prepare for a clash at home to West Brom on Sunday.

Wenger's men are guaranteed a top-four finish in the Premier League, but need a point to secure third spot ahead of Manchester United.

That would mean avoiding a UEFA Champions League play-off, with a spot straight in the group stages.

With the FA Cup final against Aston Villa on May 30 still to follow, Wenger said being forced to be fully focused on the last day of the league season was a bonus for his team.

"Every season, and now again, we have to focus until the last minute," the Frenchman said.

"Sometimes you would like to play a game with no pressure but finally when you have one you get bored - so at least we have to keep the concentration, and it's better.

"It's better [with the FA Cup still to play]. Always when you switch off, it is difficult to switch on again.

"You always think we will switch on but it is not like that. When you switch off it is always difficult to switch on again. It is not like when you switch on a light."

Wenger will be without forward Danny Welbeck, who is sidelined with a knee injury that could rule him out of the FA Cup final.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (groin) and Mathieu Debuchy (hamstring) are back in full training, but will not be risked against Tony Pulis' side as they are not match fit.

Arsenal have failed to win in three league matches, while West Brom head to the Emirates Stadium with little to play for but in fine form.

Pulis' men are unbeaten in five and were resounding 3-0 winners at home to champions Chelsea on Monday.

West Brom cannot finish any lower than 13th, the position they sit in now, while they would need plenty to go right to rise to as high as 10th.

They have struggled against Arsenal, however, winless in the past seven league matches between the teams and having suffered six losses.

Making matters worse for Pulis, he has lost all six of his Premier League games as manager against Wenger at the Emirates.

West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster (knee) is out until October in the club's only major absentee.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton v Tottenham: Pochettino eyeing fifth spot

22 May 2015

848885header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino has challenged his Tottenham side to secure fifth place in the Premier League ahead of their final game of the season at Everton on Sunday.

The London club have failed in their attempt to secure a UEFA Champions League spot in Pochettino's first campaign in charge following his arrival from Southampton.

Tottenham could still seal fifth spot with a win at Goodison Park, though, as they trail Liverpool by just a point heading into the last weekend of the season.

That would secure automatic qualification for the group stage of the UEFA Europa League and head coach Pochettino is hoping his side pick up all three points on Merseyside and Liverpool slip up at Stoke City.

"We have the opportunity to achieve fifth in the table and we need to put our energy into Everton," Pochettino said.

Harry Kane has been a revelation for his boyhood club this season, scoring 30 goals in all competitions and forcing his way into the England squad.

Kane, who was this week selected for the England Under-21 squad for the European Championship, has not scored in his last four games, but Pochettino is not concerned by his lack of goals in recent weeks.

The Tottenham head coach said: "This happens in football, up and down with a player, and all sometimes the period during the season it is difficult to score every game.

"But I am not worried about that and only now we need to back him and be positive in the future."

Everton have fallen well short of expectations this season, as they occupy 10th place after finishing fifth 12 months ago.

Manager Roberto Martinez is determined to give Everton fans reason to be optimistic by putting on a show this weekend.

He said: "Spurs are really interesting. I think they are a very strong team and we are looking to give our home fans the joy that they have been giving us this season – to be playing in front of another sell-out crowd makes it a very special game for us.

"Winning is the most important aspect in football and it would be fantastic to get a good performance that can give everyone a really good feeling going into the summer.

"You look at the Spurs side and we are very similar in terms of the tempo we like to play at and the way we want to play the game, so it will be a really interesting game."

Sylvain Distin could make his final Everton appearance if he recovers from illness, but Antolin Alcaraz (muscular), Leighton Baines (ankle), Tony Hibbert (knee), Darron Gibson and Bryan Oviedo (both metatarsal) are sidelined due to injury and Aaron Lennon is ineligible to face his parent club.

Brad Friedel may be on the Tottenham bench in his last game before he retires with Michel Vorm (illness) a doubt, while Emmanuel Adebayor is on compassionate leave. Kyle Walker (foot) and Ben Davies (shoulder) are ruled out.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

1430322_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-1 Burnley: Ings and Clarets sign off with a win
The striker's header ensured that Sean Dyche's team ended the season - which saw them suffer the pain of relegation - with a victory over Tim Sherwood's men on Sunday

harry-kane-cropped_hjnbzkpcvvbo19vwnrsa6qozu.jpg

Everton 0-1 Tottenham: Kane fires Spurs back into the Europa League
Spurs once again qualified for Europe with a narrow victory over Roberto Martinez’s side thanks to their star striker netting a close-range header early in the first half

hull-city-v-manchester-united-premier-league_v2fogbwo2rml1nv98fp7rdviw.jpg

Hull 0-0 Manchester United: Tigers relegated as shocking Fellaini sees red
The Tigers' Premier League return lasted just two seasons as Steve Bruce’s men are relegated after failing to beat the Red Devils with Newcastle winning at West Ham

1430002_thumb.jpg

Leicester 5-1 QPR: Foxes thrash Ramsey’s relegated Rs
Nigel Pearson's men finished the season in some style at the King Power Stadium with Jamie Vardy celebrating his England call-up with the opening goal

1430472_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 1-0 Swansea City: Chamakh secures top 10 finish for Pardew's Eagles‏
The former Arsenal man struck shortly before the hour to complete what has been a highly impressive second half of the season for the London club

1430042_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 4-1 West Brom: Walcott & Wilshere help Gunners secure third place
Arsene Wenger's men ran riot on the final day of the Premier League season, with the England international netting a brilliant hat-trick against Tony Pulis' side

1430502_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 6-1 Liverpool: Gerrard's final game ends in embarrassing defeat
The former England skipper was on the scoresheet at the Britannia Stadium but Mark Hughes's side were too strong for the visitors as the pressure cranks up on Brendan Rodgers

1430832_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 2-0 West Ham: Jonas & Sissoko secure Premier League survival
The Argentine midfielder - who missed much of the season after suffering from testicular cancer - sent St James' Park into raptures with the goal that sealed a precious victory

1430712_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 3-1 Sunderland: Remy double helps champions end on a high
Steven Fletcher put the visitors in front but Jose Mourinho's side rallied to lift the Premier League trophy in style

1429982_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 2-0 Southampton: Lampard on target on his Premier League farewell
The former Chelsea man opened the scoring for the deposed Premier League champions before Sergio Aguero made sure of victory with two minutes left on the clock

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester United confirm Falcao departure

radamel-falcao-manchester-united_dkmvej2f9nnn1n6sn5l4j39gl.jpg

May 24, 2015 21:30:00

The striker has spent the season on loan at Old Trafford but failed to impress and scored just four goals in 26 Premier League appearances

Manchester United have confirmed they will not be signing Radamel Falcao on a permanent deal from Monaco.

The 29-year-old, who moved to Old Trafford on the final day of the summer transfer window for an €8 million fee, has scored just four goals in 26 Premier League appearances this season.

Falcao, who missed Sunday's final game of the campaign against Hull City through injury, would have cost beyond €50m to make the move permanent, while also commanding a weekly salary of over €300,000.

"Falcao is a top professional and a good human being. On behalf of myself and everyone at the club I would like to wish him well for the future," Louis van Gaal told the club's official website.

Falcao's last goal for United came against Leicester City on January 31.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aguero wins Premier League Golden Boot

1371002_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston at the Etihad Stadium
May 24, 2015 17:05:00

The striker finised the campaign five goals ahead of Harry Kane while Joe Hart secured the Golden Glove award with his 14th clean sheet against Southampton

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has won the 2014-15 Premier League's Golden Boot having scored 26 goals.

The Argentina international finished five goals clear of Tottenham's Harry Kane, with Chelsea's Diego Costa a further strike behind.

The Argentina international's final goal of the season came in the closing minutes of City's win over Southampton as he headed in from inside the six-yard box and cemented his place at the top of the scoring charts.

Aguero was not the only award winner at City as Joe Hart sealed the Golden Glove prize for the most clean sheets.

The England goalkeeper made three key saves to keep the Saints at bay and register his 14th shutout of the campaign while Simon Mignolet and Lukasz Fabianski conceded in their respective matches.

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sam Allardyce to leave West Ham

1323002_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
May 24, 2015 17:00:00

The former Bolton boss had been widely expected to depart at the end of the season and the Hammers have wasted little time in confirming that they are looking for a new manager

West Ham have announced that the club will not renew the contract of manager Sam Allardyce and are actively searching for his successor.

Goal reported earlier in the year that Allardyce, who took charge of the Hammers in 2011, would not stay at Upton Park beyond the end of the season, and speculation mounted as the campaign approached its end.

And swiftly following the 2-0 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday, which confirmed the Magpies' Premier League survival, the club released a statement confirming their decision.

“We would like to start by thanking Sam Allardyce for his valuable work since arriving at the Boleyn Ground four years ago.

“He leaves the Club in a considerably better state then when he arrived and, for that, the Board are truly grateful.

“However, we have made the decision not to renew his contract, so we now have the chance to appoint a new manager with a new philosophy to lead us into two of the most exciting years in our great Club’s history.

“Our target is to recruit a manager that will build a team capable of saying a fitting farewell to the Boleyn Ground next year and do justice to the outstanding surrounds we will call home from August 2016.

“We have already been impressed with the quality of candidates that have expressed an interest in the role and fully expect to appoint a manager with the credentials to take this Club on to new heights.

“From our point of view there isn’t a more exciting job in the Premier League at present.”

The London club have already held talks with Marseille coach Marcelo Bielsa, although he is understood to have rejected a switch.

Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez had also been lined up, but now appears to be on the verge of taking over from Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid.

Allardyce took over with the club in the Championship and guided them back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

He was under pressure from early on in his reign, however, due to what was perceived as an unattractive style of play, and despite re-establishing the Hammers in the English top flight he never won over a section of the club's supporters.

Indeed he and his team were booed at Upton Park despite beating Hull City 2-1 last March in a rare show of disapproval following victory.

West Ham will now prepare for the 2015-16 season, their first at the Olympic Stadium, with a new man at the helm.

When asked if was a strange final day given his employment, Allardyce said: "No, I knew what was coming. I've had the discussion with the owners, so I wasn't going to sign a contract.

"We both agreed that it was probably the right time to move on. The thing is keeping it from everybody, we've tried to do that and I've just told the players after [the game] thanks for the four years.

"I've had a great four seasons and really enjoyed the opportunity of managing a great club like West Ham.

"I thanked [co-owner] David Sullivan personally on the phone and we both move forward. I think it's probably the right time for me and the right time for the club.

"The opportunity to be in London and manage that club has been a great pleasure. I've done everything that was asked of me, got them into the Premier League and stayed there comfortably over the last three seasons."

Allardyce now intends to take a break from the game and is not planning to take another role until Christmas at the earliest.

"You can never say never, but I can't see myself being in charge of another club in August," he said.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: I know who I'll buy and sell

1427922_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 25, 2015 00:18:00

The manager says the transfer process is already underway at Old Trafford and branded Marouane Fellaini "stupid" for his red card after 10 minutes against Hull City

Louis van Gaal says he already knows which players he must buy and sell in a potentially busy summer at Manchester United.

The Red Devils, who had already sealed a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League, concluded the 2014-15 campaign with a 0-0 draw away to Hull City on Sunday.

United have already signed rising Netherlands star Memphis Depay from PSV and are expected to be active once again in the transfer market this summer as they look to mount a genuine title challenge next term.

And Van Gaal says he has already formulated plans to bolster his options for next season - as well as trim some of the dead wood from his squad.

"I have calls with every player I think I have to talk to, but the transfer period is a process," he told reporters at the KC Stadium. "I know which players have to go and which players have to come but you never know if they go or if they come because it is dependent on a lot of aspects."

Radamel Falcao was ruled out of the draw with Hull after picking up a knock in training this week but Van Gaal refused to be drawn on the Colombian's future beyond this term.

"Today we have to concentrate on this match and analysis of this match and not about decisions that we have made," he said. "You shall hear it at the proper time when Manchester United has to say something."

Hull failed to find a way past stand-in goalkeeper Victor Valdes on Sunday - despite Marouane Fellaini's red card for a shocking lunge on Paul McShane in the second half - and were relegated as a result of the draw.

And Van Gaal admits he is sad to see Steve Bruce's men drop into the Championship, while he branded Fellaini's challenge as "stupid".

"Very sad that a club like Hull City is relegated," he said. "I think everybody had seen it already before, this match was after all not so important but for us to play against a team that is fighting to the end, that is difficult.

"We are fighting for a dream, thery are fighting for a rescue, and that you see. They were a little bit unlucky and also [Victor] Valdes has saved us with remarkable saves. A clean sheet, a lot of clean sheets we have achieved this season.

"Fellaini doesn't want to do that. For him, it is unbelievably stupid. Next season he starts on the tribune and also in preparation you start more or less as a substitute, so it is not so good for him personally.

"But I don't know if that is a red card. I cannot see that from the bench but when I see it takes seven minutes, I believe, the player was not capable of standing up, it was a worst tackle.

"I'm ready [for the holidays], I go immediately. Last summer I didn't have any holidays, I go straight from Manchester, I am happy the holidays are starting for me."

Van Gaal added that Angel Di Maria will undergo tests on a hamstring problem which forced him off in the first half, though he believes the problem to be a minor one.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: See you next season... I hope!

manuel-pellegrini-premier-league-manchester-city-v-west-brom-210315_34tl7tllzsiu1iye424vpowth.jpg

By Tom Beck
May 24, 2015 22:15:00

The Chilean ended his post-match interview on an uncertain note as he awaits news of his future at the Etihad

Manuel Pellegrini is confident his job at Manchester City is safe, despite failing to defend their Premier League crown.

The dethroned champions ended the season in second place after a run of six wins at the end of the season, but question remain over the Chilean's future.

Roberto Mancini was sacked in 2013 after his failure to win back-to-back titles, but when asked about his own employment, Pellegrini told BBC Sport: "I never have any doubt in my mind the whole season.

"I’m absolutely clear what the owner thinks. They were not happy but they are not owners who think that if you do not win the title one year you must go.

"It is not normal maybe that the team that scores more goals cannot be the champion but we also have the best scoring player, the golden glove, the best goal difference, so I think we lost stupid points.

"We couldn’t win the title but I think it was important to finish in second place and important to win six games in a row. It’s important to finish here at home with our fans enjoying the good end of the season.

"We must analyse the whole season, I have not been happy with how we have worked the whole year. Not due to the gap to Chelsea but because we lost so many points against teams in relegation positions. We need to be very clear that we need to improve in concentration."

In spite of the 61-year-old's positive front, the City boss rounded off his post-match conference with a mixed message to the press, adding: "I'll see you next season... I hope."