• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea 1 Liverpool 1: Draw ends top-four hopes for Rodgers´ men

10 May 2015

842277header.jpg

Liverpool claimed a creditable 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, although the result effectively quashes their hopes of qualifying for next season's UEFA Champions League.

Brendan Rodgers' side came into Sunday's clash with the Premier League champions seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester United, who were 2-1 winners at Crystal Palace 24 hours earlier.

Although Liverpool became only the fourth side to take anything away from Stamford Bridge in the league this season, their inferior goal difference means they would require a sizeable and improbable swing to overtake United in the final two matches of 2014-15.

It was Chelsea captain John Terry who put his side ahead in the fifth minute with a powerful header from a corner, before his opposite number Steven Gerrard - who was described as "a champion" by Jose Mourinho this week and was given a warm reception by the crowd when he was substituted late on - nodded in an equaliser at the end of the first half.

Against a Chelsea side that showed five changes from the team that sealed the title against Palace last week, including a first Premier League start for Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Liverpool had the better of the second half and saw Philippe Coutinho spurn a golden opening to go ahead.

However, Rodgers' men could not find the winner that would have kept their slim Champions League dreams alive, as Chelsea maintained their unbeaten home league record this season.

Cesc Fabregas was heavily involved in the early action, the Spaniard perhaps fortunate to only receive a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Raheem Sterling in the opening minute.

The midfielder had a much more positive impact four minutes later, however, swinging in a right-wing corner that Terry met with a firm downward header into the net.

Liverpool responded well to that setback as former Chelsea defender Glen Johnson fired into the side-netting from a tight angle before Coutinho was denied by Thibaut Courtois.

Simon Mignolet parried Fabregas' effort as Chelsea went in search of a second, although they were dealt a blow shortly after the half-hour mark when Kurt Zouma was forced off through injury and was replaced by Gary Cahill.

With one minute of the half remaining, Liverpool levelled as Gerrard was left all alone at the back post to nod in Jordan Henderson's free-kick from the left byline.

The visitors carried that momentum into the start of the second period and ought to have gone in front when Sterling picked out Coutinho, who fired wide from 12 yards.

With 55 minutes gone, Mignolet produced a fine one-handed save to tip Willian's fizzing drive behind, although the touch was so slight it was missed by referee Andre Marriner and a goal-kick was given.

The open nature of the encounter continued, Adam Lallana denied by a block from Cahill before Fabregas worked space for himself inside the box only to shoot weakly at Mignolet.

With a minute remaining, Coutinho's effort took a wicked deflection off Cahill and almost crept beyond Courtois, but the goalkeeper was able to gather as Chelsea extended their unbeaten run against Liverpool in all competitions to eight matches.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal v Swansea City: Wenger keen to prove credentials

9 May 2015

841638header.jpg

Arsene Wenger is keen to prove Arsenal have what it takes to win next year's Premier League by maintaining a strong end to the current campaign at home to Swansea City on Monday.

Arsenal remain locked in a battle for second place with Manchester City, but any hopes of reeling in leaders Chelsea were ended last weekend when the Stamford Bridge outfit clinched the trophy.

Nevertheless, Wenger's men are on a 10-match unbeaten run in the league - winning nine of those - and are keen to continue demonstrating their title credentials.

"We feel we have made progress in our consistency, our quality and our stability," Wenger is quoted as saying by Arsenal.com. "That is what we want to continue and I believe it is important to finish as close as possible to Chelsea and come out of the season and think we are ready to challenge next season.

"It is difficult to know how strong every team will be next year but you gain as well your confidence from what you have achieved the year before and how you have moved forward. That is why it is very important that we continue to be consistent until the end of the season."

Swansea, meanwhile, are set to welcome back striker Bafetimbi Gomis following a month out with a hamstring problem, and the French striker will be looking to benefit from the supply of Gylfi Sigurdsson, who has chipped in with 10 Premier League assists this term.

"It's always nice to get into double figures for any statistic, so for me to get 10 assists is very pleasing," Sigurdsson told the club's official website. "When I was younger I took more pride in scoring, but as I've got older I can appreciate setting up a goal far more. An assist means as much as a goal to me these days.

"This season I've had quality strikers in [Wilfried] Bony and Bafe [Gomis] in front of me, while we have the likes of Wayne [Routledge], Nathan [Dyer] and Jeff [Montero] out wide while Jonjo [Shelvey] and Ki [Sung-Yueng] have also been around me, so it's easier to set goals up for players like them.

"They get into spaces and it's all about finding them and hoping they finish the chances. If they don't score then I don't get the assist, so I'm thankful to them for finding the net."

Sigurdsson and Gomis were on target as Swansea came from behind to beat Arsenal in the reverse fixture in November and the Welsh club have an excellent record at the Emirates - losing just once there in the league since winning promotion in 2011.

Last season's trip to north London produced a 2-2 draw, with Mathieu Flamini netting an own goal in the final minute.

Gomis' return is timely for Swansea, with stand-in Nelson Oliveira expected to miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury, while Arsenal are without Danny Welbeck (knee), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (groin) and Mathieu Debuchy (hamstring).

Aaron Ramsey, who started his career at Swansea's fierce rivals Cardiff City, is rated as "50-50" due to a leg injury.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Changes coming at West Brom, says Pulis

9 May 2015

841750header.jpg

Tony Pulis indicated that changes are coming for West Brom after they secured Premier League survival with 1-1 draw at Newcastle United.

Pulis' men took the lead at St James' Park on Saturday thanks a 32nd-minute header from Victor Anichebe before Ayoze Perez levelled for Newcastle.

West Brom went close to snatching the points as they hit the woodwork for a second time through Chris Brunt after Youssouf Mulumbu had earlier been denied by the upright prior to the opening goal.

But the point proved enough to put West Brom seven clear of 18th-placed Hull City and confirm their top-flight status for next season.

And Pulis, in quotes reported by BBC Sport, said: "The lads have got 40 points before we have come here.

"We knew that Newcastle would be up for it, but we have responsibility to the clubs around the bottom who are fighting for their lives.

"We are just sorry that we have had two clear-cut chances that have come back off the post. I'm delighted for all the Albion supporters and everyone who has backed me since I have come in here that we are staying up.

"It is very difficult to say what a team is going to do in the next game, they [Newcastle] showed great fighting spirit.

"But if you look at results around the bottom of the table it is a credit to all those managers down there how they have responded to the challenge.

"We will try and change one or two things around on and off the pitch in the summer, but we want to keep the same spirit that has held us in good stead."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dyche coy over Burnley future after relegation

9 May 2015

841774header.jpg

Burnley manager Sean Dyche refused to commit himself to the club following their relegation from the Premier League on Saturday.

The Turf Moor outfit slipped out of the top flight after a single season despite a 1-0 win at fellow strugglers Hull City, with Danny Ings finding the target shortly after the hour.

Asked whether he had the desire to stay with the club in the Championship, Dyche said: "There's a desire from me to get through today, go home and see my family and then make sense of everything.

"We'll see. That's another day's story. For the moment, my thoughts are on my players and the group.

"There'll be a time to think about the bigger picture.

"I'm reflecting on the immediate gut feeling of how it is. That gut feeling is that you want to work hard, you want to be progressive and you want to learn. That's me and, of course, the players as well.

"Wherever that takes you, who knows? But at the moment I'm Burnley Football Club manager. That's all I'm thinking about and I'm only thinking about the people involved at this moment in time."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Johnson absence ´a big blow´ for Sunderland

10 May 2015

842053header.jpg

Sunderland coach Dick Advocaat believes their struggles this term can be partly put down to the absence of Adam Johnson.

Johnson has made just five appearances since being arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl in March.

Charges were brought against the winger last month. He will appear before Peterlee Magistrates' Court on May 20.

Advocaat has put responsibility for Johnson remaining with the squad in the player's own hands.

And after seeing him play a role in Saturday's second goal in a 2-0 win at Everton, Advocaat lamented not having Johnson more readily available since replacing Gus Poyet at the Stadium of Light.

"I was really happy for Johnson the way he came in," Advocaat said.

"A player of his quality has to play every week.

"He can keep a ball, he's quick he knows the game. Missing that kind of player is a big blow for us."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

´If he won´t sign he won´t play the FA Cup final´ - Sherwood light-hearted on Cleverley deal

10 May 2015

842087header.jpg

Tim Sherwood has joked he could leave in-form midfielder Tom Cleverley out of the FA Cup final if he does not sign a permanent deal at Villa Park.

Cleverley netted for the third consecutive game on Saturday to seal a 1-0 win over West Ham that takes Villa four points clear of the Premier League drop zone with two games to play.

With guaranteed safety now in sight, Villa can start preparing for the Wembley showpiece at the end of the month, where they will face holders Arsenal.

Sherwood will hope Cleverley can take his current form onto that stage as he tries to convince the Manchester United loanee to join permanently.

"We'd like to keep him but he's obviously got a few options – even more now," Sherwood said.

"I'll just tell him if he won't sign he's not playing in the cup final!"

Sherwood believes Cleverley's next move will be based on what is best for his career and hopes Villa's financial limitations will not scupper their chances.

"I think he's enjoying his time here," said Sherwood.

"But we're only going to pay him £250 a week and someone else will give him fifty grand!

"It will come down to money but it will also come down to where he thinks he'll play his best football because he's still a young man. Not all these players are mercenaries."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal calm as injury issues resurface

10 May 2015

842060header.jpg

Manchester United are not set to endure another injury crisis before the end of the season, despite seeing three players limp out of Saturday's win over Crystal Palace.

All of Louis van Gaal's changes at Selhurst Park were forced upon him as Luke Shaw and Wayne Rooney were withdrawn before the second half with concussion and a thigh issue respectively.

Chris Smalling also hobbled off in the second half after a week that had seen midfielder Michael Carrick ruled out until next season.

But Van Gaal, who has had to juggle his options this term due to a spate of fitness concerns, delivered positive updates on all three after the 2-1 triumph which effectively secured United's top-four spot in the Premier League.

"[Shaw] had an elbow in his face and he had a bloody nose," Van Gaal explained. "He was dizzy, so -out of precaution - we took him off.

"He went to hospital but I have a message he will fly with us back so I'm not thinking it's very bad.

"Rooney had a dead leg, that's why I had to change him.

"[Smalling] was stumbling and I don't think he played his best match so that's why I changed. He had cramp, you could see it because he was pulling at his toes."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR confirm Sandro visa wrangle

10 May 2015

842093header.jpg

QPR's attempts to salvage their Premier League status have been hit with Brazil midfielder Sandro unlikely to play a part in their run-in due to an issue with his work permit.

A report on Sunday claimed Sandro's involvement later in the day at Manchester City was in doubt due to his British residency visa expiring.

And the Loftus Road club confirmed that the 26-year-old – limited to 17 appearances this season by a knee injury – will not be selected while the issue remains unresolved.

A statement read: "The club can confirm it was informed by the Home Office on Thursday 7th May that there is an issue with Sandro's UK Residency Visa.

"The club are working with Sandro and the Home Office to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. While this is ongoing, the club have been advised not to select Sandro for match involvement."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR relegated after Man City demolition

10 May 2015

842175header.jpg

QPR have joined Burnley in suffering relegation from the Premier League following Sunday's 6-0 thrashing by Manchester City.

The London club headed into the Etihad Stadium knowing only a win would keep their slim hopes of survival alive.

But Chris Ramsey's men - who were promoted via the play-offs last season - were put to the sword as Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick, with Aleksandar Kolarov, James Milner and David Silva also on the scoresheet.

Relegation to the Championship will bring another tumultuous campaign at Loftus Road to a disappointing conclusion.

Harry Redknapp brought in a number of high-profile signings, with Rio Ferdinand, Steven Caulker and Leroy Fer bolstering the squad.

But the former Tottenham and West Ham boss resigned from his post in February with the club second from bottom in the table with just 19 points to their name.

Ramsey took over in the interim, before being given the job until the end of the season, but has only been able to inspire two wins - at Sunderland and West Brom - during his tenure.

A season of underperforming, in spite of continued significant financial outlay, leaves QPR facing the ramifications of breaking Financial Fair Play regulations in their last spell in the Championship, with Football League officials suggesting the club could even be bombed out of the Football League if they cannot pay up.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barton blasts ´embarrassing´ QPR

10 May 2015

842278header.jpg

Joey Barton labelled QPR's 6-0 battering at the hands of Manchester City "embarrassing" as the club were relegated from the Premier League with a whimper.

QPR had to win Sunday's contest to have any chance of avoiding an immediate return to the Championship, but Manuel Pellegrini's men ran riot at the Etihad Stadium, with Sergio Aguero scoring a hat-trick.

Barton accused "one or two bad eggs" within the dressing room of not giving their in QPR's battle against the drop earlier this week.

And the captain says QPR did not deserve to retain their top-flight status.

"Gutted for everyone involved with the football club. Today was embarrassing but it's not been good enough since July," he wrote on Twitter.

"You get out of life what you put in. Hurts to say but the league table does not lie. We don't deserve to stay in this league.

"We have to finish our last two games with integrity and as a club come back strong for this painful experience.

"Sorry to all the fans who have spent their hard earned money supporting us up and down the country all season. I feel what you feel."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey keen to remain at QPR despite relegation

10 May 2015

842197header.jpg

Chris Ramsey has declared his wish to remain as head coach of QPR despite their relegation from the Premier League.

QPR were relegated on Sunday following a 6-0 defeat to Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium, with a hat-trick from Sergio Aguero and goals from Aleksandar Kolarov, James Milner and David Silva seeing the hosts cruise to victory.

Ramsey took over as interim coach following Harry Redknapp's resignation in February before being given the job until the end of the campaign.

So far, Ramsey has managed just two wins in his time in charge.

But, when asked if he wants to be the man to lead QPR next season, he replied: "Yes. I really do. It's a club I've taken to my heart."

Turning his attention to QPR's sorry performance, Ramsey added: "We came here with a lot of hope, shot ourselves in the foot and gave away three set-pieces which they scored from.

"On the day we didn't really turn up and they are a very good team. The boys will be very disappointed in the way they performed. We are really feel sorry for the travelling fans.

"As you can imagine the dressing room is very, very quiet. I don't think it's a time for post mortems, our fate is what it is.

"The club is in a rebuilding phase now and would have been anyway regardless of [the result] today. There are lots of people at the club who will be extremely disappointed in the way we conducted ourselves."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City do not need a revolution, insists Pellegrini

10 May 2015

842226header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini insists Manchester City do not need a "revolution" after missing out on the Premier League title.

Pellegrini watched his side relegate QPR with a 6-0 victory at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, Sergio Aguero producing a clinical display to score a hat-trick.

Aleksandar Kolarov, James Milner and David Silva were also on target as City secured a result that will do little other than bolster their hopes of finishing second after seeing Chelsea race clear and win the title.

Rumours have emerged that Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola could be in line to take over from Pellegrini should the Chilean be removed from his post.

But Pellegrini told Sky Sports: "I think this year we lost many points at home. But we have to finish the season the way we want to play.

"The desire the team reflects in this moment is very important for us.

"It's not easy for any team to win titles in a row in the Premier League because you have five teams who have the same power as our squad and money to spend. Of course I am sure next year we will be fighting again for the title.

"In the last four years this team won two Premier Leagues and finished second twice. We won the League Cup, the FA Cup, we must improve for the future but I never accept we are failing. It's not a revolution I think we need."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini unaware of Guardiola to City rumours

10 May 2015

842316header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini refused to be drawn on speculation that he is set to be replaced by Pep Guardiola and insists he is ready for the challenge of reclaiming the Premier League title.

Speculation has mounted in recent days that City have agreed a deal with Bayern boss Guardiola to replace the Chilean at the Etihad Stadium in the close-season.

However, Pellegrini stated that he was unaware of the rumours and that he has not discussed the stories with the club.

"I didn't read it and I haven't heard any reports. I repeat, I haven't heard or seen any reports," he said. "Nobody told me [about them]."

City may have lost their title to Chelsea this season, but they gave a reminder of their quality on Sunday as Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick in the 6-0 battering of now-relegated QPR.

And Pellegrini believes it is important for the team to continue playing with their same attacking philosophy if they are to improve next term.

"Not for me but for the club I think it's important not to change the philosophy of our football," he added. "I didn't win the title and I didn't win the cup this year because I have a conviction of my ideas and football.

"When we won the Premier League last year, we scored a lot of goals and I never commented on our style because you must have conviction with the way you play and when you don't win, that moment is now and we will continue playing this way."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Fabregas should have been sent off

10 May 2015

i

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas ought to have been dismissed for his early tackle on Raheem Sterling during Sunday's 1-1 draw.

In the first minute of the Premier League meeting at Stamford Bridge, Fabregas caught Sterling on the ankle with a dangerous challenge.

The Spaniard was booked by referee Andre Marriner, but Rodgers felt that was a lenient punishment for the Chelsea man.

"Fabregas should have been sent off," Rodgers said. "He was out of control, diving and stretching and Raheem has done well to stay on the field and play ever so well.

"It was early in the game but that doesn't matter. It was a bad challenge and he deserved a red card for that."

Steven Gerrard cancelled out John Terry's early opener, before being given a respectful ovation from the Chelsea fans when he was substituted late on as Liverpool's slim hopes of UEFA Champions League qualification were effectively ended.

"Brilliant, that was the reason for it [taking Gerrard off]," said Rodgers of the applause for his departing captain. "You see the importance that he has for the team.

"He's taken a lot of stick here but I think the Chelsea supporters knew deep down it's only because he's a superstar player and he's been a thorn in their side for many years. It was nice for him to get that touch."

Without the departed Luis Suarez and the injured Daniel Sturridge, Liverpool have struggled to score goals this season - an area that Rodgers is keen to address in the transfer market.

"Obviously that's been the issue for us this season, our lack of goals has really hurt us but the players have done everything," he added.

"We want to finish well but for us it's pretty clear the areas we need to improve in and if we can do that over the summer then hopefully that'll set us back on the track again."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard urges Liverpool owners to ´dig deep´

10 May 2015

842292header.jpg

Departing Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has urged the club's owners to spend big in the transfer market to help mount a concerted Premier League title challenge next season.

Gerrard is set to bring an end to his 17-year senior career at Anfield when he leaves for LA Galaxy in MLS at the conclusion of this campaign.

The former England captain nodded in the equaliser as Liverpool drew 1-1 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, a result that effectively ends their slim hopes of achieving a top-four finish and UEFA Champions League qualification.

"We wanted to make a statement with our performance [at Chelsea], with additions we can compete next year," he told Sky Sports.

"We've come up a bit short. We need the owners to try and dig deep and help [manager] Brendan [Rodgers] to try and improve.

"There's a great core of players, there's terrific potential and it's important that you try and compete with the giant clubs in the league because they're all going to spend big."

Liverpool gave Premier League champions Chelsea a guard of honour before the game and Gerrard was afforded a warm reception when he was substituted late in the second half on what could be his last visit to Stamford Bridge.

"Chelsea fans have shown me respect for a couple of seconds but slaughtered me all day," he said. "It was nice of them to show up for once.

"What's important is the support from the Liverpool fans, they've been with me from day one."

Gerrard was described as "a champion" by Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho this week and the midfielder returned the compliment to the Portuguese, who has tried to sign him on a number of occasions in the past.

"I have huge respect for him. He's the best manager in the world in my opinion," Gerrard said.

"I would have signed for him on three occasions if I wasn't such a big Liverpool fan.

"He's the reason my head was turned on a couple of occasions but he knew why I couldn't do it, because I love Liverpool. It always means more when you win for your people."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho pleased with Loftus-Cheek performance

10 May 2015

842371header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was full of praise for Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who made his first Premier League start in Sunday's 1-1 draw at home to Liverpool.

The 19-year-old was making only his second league appearance for Chelsea, and played for an hour before being replaced by Nemanja Matic.

Mourinho was satisfied with the midfielder's showing, and revealed he had always planned to withdraw Loftus-Cheek in the second half.

"I think he did well but I think it's better for him to pay 60 minutes and leave in good condition than stay until the end," Mourinho said.

"It was better for him to leave but it was a fantastic experience for him to feel the intensity and the speed, the way he has to think and has to compete.

"It was a fantastic experience for him and I'm happy. He's going to be a Chelsea player, that's no doubt, and we have other kids I believe can do it.

"The intensity of the game is different to what he's used to and in the second half he was more chasing and in a position where I need him tactically to read the game a bit better so I preferred to give him a good hour than an extra 20 or 25 difficult minutes.

"In the last game [of the season against Sunderland] I'm going to play the players who have more minutes, the base of the team who play more times.

"But against West Brom [next time out], because West Brom is safe and nobody is waiting for a result, I'm going to play Ruben and probably Nathan Ake and also Izzy Brown who came from West Brom so I think that will be special for him."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kane: Tottenham want to play Europa League

10 May 2015

842491header.jpg

Harry Kane insisted Tottenham would be doing everything they can to qualify for the UEFA Europa League, despite the prospect of more travel across the continent.

Tottenham's UEFA Champions League hopes were extinguished after losing 3-0 at Stoke City in the Premier League on Saturday.

Europe's second-tier club competition is now on the horizon for Tottenham, who travelled to Turkey, Greece, Serbia and Italy while juggling domestic commitments during the 2014-15 Europa League campaign.

But Kane, who made his name in the Europa League by scoring seven goals this term, is not against another European campaign.

"We want to win more trophies and the Europa League is a chance to do that," Kane said.

"We're going to try to win the last two games to qualify for the Europa League, and we'll be taking that competition very seriously."

Kane added: "It's more games so it gives us more opportunities to play together.

"Champions League teams have to do the same. If they win the Champions League they have to play that many games, so the Europa League's no different.

"If anything it gives us a bit more experience in Europe, hopefully to try to push on to the Champions League. Everyone in and around the team wants to be involved."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cleverley ready to extend Villa stay

10 May 2015

842499header.jpg

Aston Villa midfielder Tom Cleverley wants to move to the club on a permanent basis.

Cleverley is on loan at Villa from Manchester United – but he has impressed during his stint to help Tim Sherwood's men jump away from the relegation zone.

The 25-year-old said he was enjoying his football again, and would consider re-signing once offered a new deal.

"I’ve really got to like playing for this club in the last few months," Cleverley said.

"This manager, you have to give him credit for getting me where I am over the last few weeks.

"I feel like I’m playing in my best position. Confidence is high, not only among myself but also among the team. All those factors help. I’m happy and playing with a smile on my face

"First the club have got to offer me something. And then I’ll definitely have a look."

Financial terms may be all that stop Cleverley from remaining at Villa next season.

But he said money was unlikely to be a factor, wanting mostly to be happy during 2015-16.

“I don’t think any Premier League players are going to be short of a quid or two," Cleverley said.

"You have just got to be happy first of all. And I am at this club, so let’s see where we go from there."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Smalling backs Young for England recall

11 May 2015

842520header.jpg

Ashley Young's resurgence under Louis van Gaal warrants an England call-up, according to his Manchester United team-mate Chris Smalling.

Young was tipped to be one of the first out of the door when Van Gaal arrived at Old Trafford in July but the 29-year-old has surprisingly been one of United's most consistent performers this season in the club's quest for UEFA Champions League football.

The 30-cap international winger played a key role in Saturday's 2-1 win over Crystal Palace, earning a first-half penalty and setting up Marouane Fellaini for the match-winning goal as United all but secured a top-four finish in the Premier League.

And Smalling believes Roy Hodgson could do worse than selecting Young for the first time since 2013.

"Ashley was terrific. Every time he got the ball he looked like he was going to beat his man. He's been a real threat the last few weeks," Smalling said.

"It could be a confidence thing and the manager showing faith in him. When you've got that you just build on it.

"He's quick and he can go both ways. He can cut in and have a shot or he can get past and put a cross in with his other foot.

"I think it's the unpredictability he's got. I think England could always do with a player like that and he's been there before and I'm sure he won't be far off."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey identifies with Barton´s ´bad eggs´ claim

11 May 2015

842558header.jpg

QPR coach Chris Ramsey has raised further doubts about the squad's mentality after relegation from the Premier League was confirmed.

A 6-0 mauling at deposed champions Manchester City on Sunday confirmed QPR's slide from the top-flight, just one season after promotion via the Championship play-offs.

Midfielder and captain Joey Barton blasted "bad eggs" in the QPR dressing room who had not given their all to fight the drop this term.

Facing a close-season of overhaul as QPR look to shift a number of high-earners off their wage bill, Ramsey echoed the thoughts of his skipper.

"I think if you go to any club there are going to be 'bad eggs' and those sort of people," Ramsey said.

"What Joey probably alluded to is there are people who could have helped us who haven't helped us.

"Our fate is now where it is. But listen, there are lots of people at the club will be extremely disappointed in the way we conducted ourselves in the game.

"There are a lot of things I could say but I wouldn't want to put any bombs in place at this stage.

"Most of the stuff has been well-documented. At this stage it's for us to show a bit of dignity and class and take our medicine as it's come."

QPR's place in the Championship could even be under threat next season with a huge Financial Fair Play fine from their last spell in the second tier set to bite.

"I think the owners will save us from going over the edge," Ramsey said.

"I don't really understand the bits and bobs of what's gone on before I came, but I think we have very good owners and board members who will try and put something in place to make sure QPR don't end up like other clubs who have slipped down the divisions and ended up in the financial mire."