• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman frustrated by Southampton performance

2 May 2015

837892header.jpg

Ronald Koeman is unsure whether Southampton deserved to concede two penalties in their 2-1 Premier League loss to Sunderland, but blasted his side's display at the Stadium of Light.

Jose Fonte's foul on Danny Graham enabled Jordi Gomez to give Sunderland the lead from the spot in the 21st minute.

And, after Sadio Mane had levelled for Southampton, Gomez restored the hosts' advantage from 12 yards after James Ward-Prowse had been sent off for bringing down Jermain Defoe.

The defeat leaves the south-coast club four points adrift of fifth-placed Liverpool and gives Tottenham the chance to put the same gap between the London club and Southampton when they face Manchester City on Sunday.

Koeman said in quotes reported by BBC Sport: "I don't know if the penalties are good decisions by the referee. I will have to watch the clips.

"The thing that has frustrated me the most is the performance of my own team because we did not play at our level.

"The 10 minutes after half-time were our worst of the season so far.

"We only showed our level with one less player on the pitch. We played much better football and were the better team when it was 10 men against 11. That is so strange it is unbelievable."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

We knew West Brom would park the bus - Van Gaal

2 May 2015

1166252hp2-390x285.jpg

Louis van Gaal admitted Manchester United only have themselves to blame after West Brom claimed a smash-and-grab 1-0 win at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Jonas Olsson's fortuitous deflection off Chris Brunt's free-kick around the hour mark condemned United to a third straight Premier League defeat for the first time since 2001, with Van Gaal's miserable day compounded when Robin van Persie missed the chance to equalise from the penalty spot 18 minutes from time.

United dominated the contest from start to finish but, as was the case in their recent losses at Chelsea and Everton, failed to make their possession count.

And while insisting his side were unlucky to lose, Van Gaal said West Brom's backs-to-the-wall approach came as no surprise.

"We knew in advance they would park the bus and we have to deal with that," the Dutchman told Sky Sports.

"I think in the first half we didn't create enough, but in the second we had enough [chances] to score.

"[That is] now the third match in a row [where United have lost while failing to score]. You are attacking all match, but it is very disappointing when you are not scoring.

"The finishing was not good enough. I've seen a team that fights until the end, that attacks for 90 minutes, and one free-kick is enough to beat us.

"We were a little bit unlucky, but that is not enough.

"The players are disappointed, I am also disappointed."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey knows QPR on the brink

2 May 2015

837925header.jpg

QPR head coach Chris Ramsey knows his side face a "monumental task" to retain their Premier League status following Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Liverpool.

Leroy Fer had given QPR hope at Anfield after his superb volley cancelled out Philippe Coutinho's opener for the hosts and their luck looked to be in when Rob Green saved Steven Gerrard's second-half penalty.

Shortly after that let-off, however, defender Nedum Onuoha saw red and, with three minutes remaining, Gerrard's header leaves Ramsey's men seven points adrift of safety with just three games left to play.

That means QPR could be relegated before they are next in action at Manchester City next Sunday, leaving Ramsey to admit: "We have got an absolutely monumental task but we came here and played against one of the best teams in the league and did well.

"Unfortunately for us, when we start getting into 80 minutes-plus, we tend to throw points away.

"We have done that on numerous occasions this season and then the performances go for nothing.

"That little lapse of concentration means we haven't taken anything from the game.

"We have done well against the top teams, but you aren't at the bottom of the table for any other reason other than those small details and that has happened too much."

Ramsey nevertheless felt that the result was slightly harsh on his players.

"I thought we deserved to take something after that little rough patch when they put us under pressure," he said.

"We weathered the storm and Rob [Green] pulls out a great save from the penalty, but that is why we are where we are. The players are devastated, absolutely devastated. The disappointment runs very, very deep."

The QPR head coach was also quick to pay tribute to Rio Ferdinand following the death of the defender's wife Rebecca Ellison from cancer on Friday.

"Rio has been a man mountain around the place," said Ramsey.

"He's had the weight of the world on his shoulders, but you wouldn't know that.

"He's a fantastic professional and conducts himself in a terrific manner. He's trained hard; he's not moped around the place.

"Now all our thoughts are with him and his family. We all hope they can find the strength to pull through in this tragic time."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho doesn´t want guard of honour

2 May 2015

838110header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho insisted Liverpool are not obligated to form a guard of honour for his team.

Mourinho and Co. can clinch the Premier League title with victory over Crystal Palace on Sunday and Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers already confirmed the Merseyside club will give Chelsea a guard of honour when the two teams meet at Stamford Bridge next week.

But Mourinho, who is poised to seal a third league title with Chelsea, said: "I don't like it. I think, in Spain, they did it for us at Real Madrid.

"If it's tradition, that's no problem for me. But you can show respect for the winner in many different ways.

"If some of them don't want to be there and they are there just because somebody tells them to be there, maybe it's a bit artificial."

Chelsea are 13 points clear at the summit with four matches remaining.

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers unconcerned by banner

2 May 2015

838125header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is unfazed by speculation over his future, jokingly suggesting Rafael Benitez's agent arranged for a banner to be flown over Anfield on Saturday.

A plane carrying a banner reading 'Rodgers out, Rafa in' was flown over the stadium before Liverpool's 2-1 win over QPR.

But Rodgers said people had short memories - reminding them that his team went within two points of winning the Premier League title last season.

"I thought it was Rafa's agent in it," the Northern Irishman said after his side moved within four points of fourth-placed Manchester United.

"Football has a short memory, we sat here last year having nearly won the league and now we have planes flying over so you can do nothing about it.

"I'm very fortunate and privileged to work here at Liverpool and as I said before there will be many names linked with the job because of the size and scale of the job to be undertaken here.

"I'm hugely honoured every single day of my life, and I will continue to be, however long it lasts."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Negredo: Pellegrini lost faith in me

3 May 2015

838138header.jpg

Valencia loanee Alvaro Negredo said he left Manchester City because he lost the trust of manager Manuel Pellegrini.

Negredo returned to his homeland at the start of the season, joining La Liga outfit Valencia on loan with a view to a permanent move after falling down the pecking order at City.

The 29-year-old Spain international striker ended the 2013-14 campaign without a goal in 16 games as City won the Premier League and League Cup, leading to suggestions his dip in form was due to homesickness.

Negredo, however, denied those reports by claiming City boss Pellegrini lost faith in him.

"I was not homesick. I was very happy in Manchester and on a personal level. It is a different way of life but it is not an excuse," Negredo told the Daily Mail.

"I made an effort to learn English, the manager spoke English in the dressing room and I could understand most of it by the end of the season.

"It is not a reason to say my family wasn't happy. There are things you miss when you leave your country but the main reason I left is because the manager lost faith in me.

"Around February, I had an injury to my shoulder. I didn't stop to rest it. I was playing in a huge amount of pain. Kun [Sergio Aguero] was injured and Stevan Jovetic had problems, so I felt I had to play.

"We had huge games against Chelsea and Barcelona. I didn't play well and the manager started to play Edin Dzeko. I don't feel I ever regained his trust."

Negredo, who has scored six goals in all competitions for Nuno Espirito Santo's Valencia this season, added: "I began to lose my confidence but I didn’t give up. I trained harder than ever and tried to show Pellegrini I deserved to play.

"In the end, though, when you do all that and you still don’t get a game, it’s difficult. I need to play for a manager who wants me.

"I came on as a sub but it was almost to waste time. On the last day with the trophy, Zaba [Pablo Zabaleta] said: 'This is yours, you have been fighting for it like anybody else, so make sure you enjoy it.’ In my head, I knew I'd played a big part but it was hard to feel part of it. I felt cold."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard anticipating emotional Anfield finale

3 May 2015

838149header.jpg

Steven Gerrard said his Anfield farewell will be emotional, after he scored in his penultimate appearance in front of The Kop.

Gerrard missed a penalty before firing in an 87th-minute header to send Liverpool past QPR 2-1 on Saturday, in a significant boost to their top-four aspirations in the Premier League.

They sit four points behind Manchester United in the bid to make next season's UEFA Champions League.

Reds skipper Gerrard said he was bracing himself for a sentimental farewell when Liverpool host Crystal Palace on May 16 - when he will grace the Anfield pitch for the final time competitively before his move to Los Angeles Galaxy.

"Yeah of course," Gerrard told Sky Sports, when asked if he was pleased to get a reception when substituted in the 89th minute.

"These supporters have been behind me all the way. They've helped me make the player I am today. I thanked them for that support.

"I'm really looking forward to my last appearance here in a couple of weeks. It's going to be emotional for myself and my family, but I'm really looking forward to it."

He added: "It was nice, I'll take any goal because I've only got one appearance left at Anfield.

"More importantly it meant the team got three points and everyone goes home happy."

Gerrard said Liverpool remained hopeful of a slip-up from one of Arsenal, Manchester City or Manchester United, as they stayed alive in the top-four race.

"We've got to worry about ourselves. We need to try and finish strong," the 34-year-old said.

"I'm sure the manager's already got one eye on next season, but these games are still important.

"You represent Liverpool Football Club, so you want to win them all and we want to keep pressure on the teams above because if they do slip up in a couple of games, we've got to be ready to pounce."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Record finish beyond Stoke - Hughes

3 May 2015

838246header.jpg

Stoke City boss Mark Hughes believes an eighth-place finish in the Premier League may be beyond his side following Saturday's 2-0 loss to Swansea City.

Hughes' men slumped to defeat at the Liberty Stadium, goals from Jefferson Montero and Ki Sung-yeung settling a contest in which Stoke were reduced to 10 men as Marc Wilson saw red.

The Staffordshire club are now six points adrift of Swansea in eighth, which would represent a record Premier League finish for both teams.

And Hughes told Stoke's official website: "Eighth place might be a little bit beyond us now I would suggest.

"We certainly didn't help ourselves with the result yesterday. I felt if we could have got something out of the game, including a draw, then it would have been a good result for us.

"I say that because we felt Swansea had a difficult run of games coming up compared to ourselves who feel like the final three games of the season [versus Tottenham, Burnley and Liverpool] are winnable."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

United still control top-four destiny - Young

3 May 2015

838259header.jpg

Manchester United winger Ashley Young is upbeat over their top-four chances despite Saturday's 1-0 defeat to West Brom.

United dictated play for long periods at Old Trafford, but were condemned to a third straight loss by Jonas Olsson's 63rd-minute effort.

It is the first time since 2001 that United have lost three Premier League games in a row and, with Liverpool winning later in the day, their advantage over fifth spot is just four points.

But Young told MUTV: "As players and staff, there's no doubt we can qualify for the Champions League and that was always what we wanted to do.

"It's still in our hands and we have three massive games coming up. We have another tough game away to Palace next weekend and we want to get back to winning ways.

"We have the team spirit and character to bounce back from this defeat. We'll work again this week, prepare on the training pitch and hopefully things will go right next weekend."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Williamson denies getting sent off on purpose

3 May 2015

838284header.jpg

Newcastle United defender Mike Williamson has apologised for his dismissal in the 3-0 defeat to Leicester City, but insists he did not get himself sent off on purpose.

Williamson was red carded in the 62nd minute of Saturday's clash at the King Power Stadium, receiving a second booking for a rash challenge on Jamie Vardy.

With the defeat leaving Newcastle just two points clear of the Premier League relegation zone, head coach John Carver claimed that Williamson may have fouled Vardy to miss two of his team's final three games.

But, in a statement released on Sunday, Williamson said: "I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to the Newcastle United supporters and my fellow team-mates for getting sent-off during yesterday's game.

"There was absolutely no intent to hurt Jamie or get sent-off, but I recognise that I should have been more composed and measured in my determination to win the ball.

"Unfortunately, it did the one thing that I never wanted to do, and that was to hurt the team.

"Moving forward, I will do whatever I can to help my team-mates prepare for the next two games and fight to get back into the team when I'm next available.

"I've had the honour to play for Newcastle United for five years now, and I can genuinely say that I feel privileged to play for this football club. I would never do anything intentionally to hurt the team or its supporters."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea secure Premier League title

3 May 2015

838349header.jpg

Chelsea are guaranteed to finish the 2014-15 season as Premier League champions after beating Crystal Palace 1-0 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Jose Mourinho's men hosted Palace knowing that a win would be enough to open up an unassailable advantage at the top of the table.

And PFA Player of the Year Eden Hazard duly popped up with the game's only goal, heading home a rebound on the stroke of half-time after his tame penalty had been saved by Julian Speroni.

Chelsea - champions for the first time since 2010 - will finish the season with two trophies, having also claimed the League Cup in March with victory over Tottenham at Wembley.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Drogba coy over future after title triumph

3 May 2015

838401header.jpg

Didier Drogba offered no assurances over his future after Chelsea clinched the Premier League title with a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace.

A 45th-minute goal from Eden Hazard on Sunday was enough to seal a victory that saw Chelsea claim the Premier League for a fourth time.

Drogba, who rejoined the club for a second stint in July 2014, has been involved in each of those successes.

Yet the 37-year-old has had to be content with a limited role this term, in stark contrast to Chelsea's previous title-winning campaign, in 2009-10, when the Ivorian scored 37 goals in all competitions.

Drogba told Sky Sports: "This one is sweet. I am happy to be part of this, but Chelsea will always be bigger than me.

"What now? A good rest, a good celebration and I will see."

Attacking midfielder Eden Hazard has been the star of this season for Chelsea, with the Belgium international winning the PFA Player of the Year award.

Jose Mourinho's side have been labelled as 'boring' by rival fans in recent weeks, but Hazard said: "We deserve to be champions. We are 13 points in front, we won the [League] Cup, now we won the league and everyone is happy.

"He [Mourinho] lets me play, I can play my best football on pitch and that is most important. The team needs a player like me, Willian, Diego [Costa]. We are here to score. "

The title marks a first league success in England for former Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who commented: "I waited a very long time for this. [It is] very relieving, [we've] been fighting for this and I am very proud."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho appears to take dig at old nemesis Guardiola

3 May 2015

838445header.jpg

Jose Mourinho appeared to take a swipe at his old foe and Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola after guiding Chelsea to their fourth Premier League title.

Eden Hazard's headed rebound, after his initial penalty had been saved, was enough for Chelsea to clinch the league with three games to spare courtesy of a 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

It marks the eighth domestic league title that Mourinho has won across four different countries during his coaching career.

One of those triumphs came in the 2011-12 season when in charge of Real Madrid as the capital club amassed 100 points to beat Barcelona - then coached by Guardiola - to the Liga title.

Since then, Guardiola has led Bayern Munich to consecutive league crowns as they continue to be the dominant force in the Bundesliga, while Mourinho opted to return to Stamford Bridge after spells as boss of Inter and Real.

"For me I'm not the smartest guy to choose countries and clubs. I could choose another club in another country where to be champion is easier," said the Portuguese in an apparent reference to Guardiola.

"I choose a club where I was happier before and a country where you are happy before. I took a risk. I am so, so happy because I won another Premier League title 10 years after [my first] in my second spell at the club.

"I was champion at every club I coached. I came to Inter, Real Madrid and Chelsea. Every title is important, to win the title in Spain with 100 points against the best Barcelona ever was a big achievement that I enjoyed so much.

"Maybe in the future I have to be smarter and choose another club in another country where everybody is champion. Maybe I will go to a country where a kitman can be coach and win the title.

"Maybe I need to be smarter but I still enjoy these difficulties. I think I'm at the right place. I'm here until [Chelsea owner Roman] Abramovich tells me to go."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Masterful Mourinho has Premier League and Chelsea singing his tune

3 May 2015

838594header.jpg

Few subjects illuminate Jose Mourinho as much as his admiration for Alex Ferguson.

When the Scot called time on his hugely successful dynasty at Manchester United in 2013, it was widely accepted that the modern game would never again witness a manager with such an all-consuming influence at a football club.

This fact remains, but the clinical control with which Chelsea have dominated England's top flight on their way to a fourth Premier League title means it is hard to imagine a coach who commands the levels of authority and respect that Mourinho does at Stamford Bridge.

The Portuguese spoke of owner Roman Abramovich hugging players in the Chelsea dressing room after they carried out their manager's arch-pragmatism to the letter in last weekend's much-discussed goalless draw at Arsenal.

Given the manner of Mourinho's initial departure from Chelsea in 2007 and Abramovich's subsequent trigger-happy relationship with the incumbents of his dugout, the image of these group hugs in the bowels of Emirates Stadium feels particularly significant.

The Russian billionaire is said to have fallen in love with football when he witnessed Manchester United and Real Madrid pummelling each other to a goal-laden standstill in the 2003 UEFA Champions League and the ruthless efficiency of Mourinho's back-to-back 2004-05 and 2005-06 Premier League titles ultimately could not live up to Abramovich's high ideals.

After a shock parting of ways in September 2007 - officially by that old favourite "mutual consent" - Abramovich entrusted a parade of coaches with making his vision a reality. Luiz Felipe Scolari and Andre Villas-Boas each failed to see out a season following high-profile appointments, Carlo Ancelotti was gone a year after securing the Premier League and Roberto Di Matteo six months on from masterminding Champions League glory.

Channelling his inner Eric Morecambe, the late English comedian, Abramovich appeared to be telling his managers that they were playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order. With his handling of managerial affairs becoming a joke about which the Stamford Bridge faithful were unable to crack a smile, he swallowed his pride and called for the straight man who made his act such a success in the first place.

Mourinho's Chelsea 2.0 are a winning machine without pretence, unencumbered by any notion of fulfilling Abramovich's old fantasy football brief.

Last season, Mourinho insisted his developing side were not yet ready to win the title. He was ultimately proved right as a swashbuckling Manchester City pipped a similarly buccaneering Liverpool to top spot.

Where the masses saw entertainment, Mourinho saw weakness. City and Liverpool were beaten home and away by Chelsea in 2013-14 as he laid the groundwork for his third Premier League crown.

This time around, City shared a pair of 1-1 draws against Chelsea and made most of the running in both games. It mattered little as Manuel Pellegrini's men slipped up elsewhere with a regularity unimaginable for Mourinho's current line-up.

Thibaut Courtois, Branislav Ivanovic, John Terry, Gary Cahill and Cesar Azpilicueta would be one of the most formidable defensive units ever seen in the league, even without the imperious Nemanja Matic patrolling the space in front of them.

But Chelsea offer joy more often than their detractors are willing to admit. Eden Hazard, as the league's most dazzling star, has rightly scooped the end-of-season awards. Anyone bored by the Belgian in full flight alongside Cesc Fabregas' stylish scheming and Diego Costa's powerhouse goal-getting should probably consider watching another sport.

One imagines Mourinho would tell them as much in no uncertain terms. And, this time around, Abramovich would have his back.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho rounds on critics after clinching title

4 May 2015

838749header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says his side are worthy Premier League champions, despite criticism from some quarters over the course of the season.

The 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge sealed Chelsea's fourth Premier League title and Mourinho's third with the club.

Mourinho has previously spoken at length about criticism in the media of his players, most notably from Jamie Carragher and Graeme Souness, and aimed another dig following the weekend's celebrations.

Asked whether the Premier League was an easy title to win, Mourinho responded: "No, it's easier to be a pundit.

"To be a pundit you win every game, you don't lose matches as a pundit. It's a fantastic job really, maybe in 10 years' time it's my job - then I win every game.

"Now as a manager I lose sometimes and it's a much more difficult job."

Mourinho returned to Stamford Bridge from Real Madrid prior to the start of last season and has already claimed League Cup and Premier League silverware.

"We do everything that a team wants, that's why we are champions," the Portuguese added.

"We deserve so much to be champions, I think everyone knows that. Those that have a big face to say we don't deserve it are the ones that in my country we say 'the dogs bark and the caravan goes by'.

"It's not more pressure it's just the understanding that when you go back to a place you had success before, you risk a little bit of your prestige and your history, I risked it.

"But okay, we won again and I can say I won titles with Chelsea with two generations separated with two decades."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ki targets Arsenal win and seventh spot

4 May 2015

838766header.jpg

Ki Sung-yueng insists Swansea City will not settle for eighth spot and will go in search of a Premier League double over Arsenal.

The 2-0 win over Stoke City at the weekend moved the Welsh club six points ahead of their nearest rivals, with a four-point gap to Southampton in seventh.

And Ki says his side - who beat Arsenal 2-1 on home soil in November - are looking up ahead of Monday's trip to the Emirates Stadium.

"Maybe people think we will let up in the next game against Arsenal because we won on Saturday, but two years ago we won 2-0 up there and I'll always remember that," said the South Korean.

"We always have a possibility so we'll try to get the double, like against Manchester United.

"I think it's not impossible that we can challenge for seventh position.

"Of course, we have some tough games left. It'll be difficult, but we have done very well against big teams this season. We will keep pushing ourselves as hard as we can."

After meeting Arsene Wenger's side, Swansea host Manchester City and travel to Crystal Palace on the final day.

Garry Monk's side have already secured the club's record Premier League points total.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

England great Jimmy Greaves suffers stroke

4 May 2015

838786header.jpg

Jimmy Greaves, the World Cup-winning former England striker, was taken into intensive care after suffering a severe stroke on Sunday.

A statement from the 75-year-old's family read: "Football legend Jimmy Greaves suffered a severe stroke on Sunday May 3, and is in intensive care in hospital.

"His wife, Irene, and four children have asked for privacy during what is a worrying time for the family. They will issue a bulletin on his condition when it is appropriate.

"England’s greatest ever goal scorer was 75 on February 20, and has been working regularly on the personal appearances circuit in harness with his friend and agent Terry Baker.

"Jimmy had a minor stroke in 2012, but appeared to have made a full recovery.

"He was due to be inducted into the Tottenham Hotspur Hall of Fame on May 13 at a sell-out ceremony at White Hart Lane.

"This is all we wish to say at the present time."

The former Tottenhamd and Chelsea striker is fourth on England's all-time scoring list with 44 goals in 57 appearances and was awarded his 1966 World Cup medal belatedly in 2009.

Having missed the final due to injury, FIFA eventually ruled that non-playing members such as Greaves - who featured in the first three matches of the competition - should be given replica medals.

At club level, Greaves won the Serie A title with Milan, while twice lifting the FA Cup with Spurs, with whom he also claimed a European Cup Winners Cup crown.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lack of goals a concern for Van Gaal

4 May 2015

838709header.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal bemoaned his team's lack of firepower as their grip on a top-four spot loosened.

United have lost three straight Premier League matches, including a 1-0 loss to West Brom on Saturday, to be just four points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool.

Van Gaal's men are without a goal in those three defeats, leading to worries they may battle late in the Premier League season.

Wayne Rooney (12 goals) is United's leading goalscorer in the league but has played periods in midfield, while Robin van Persie (10) and Radamel Falcao (four) have struggled.

"I miss a striker that scores and every striker - if it's Van Persie or Falcao or Wayne Rooney - who scores the goal, I'm very happy and the team is very happy," Van Gaal said.

"It [lack of goals] is a concern now because it's not a coincidence and, in spite of the way we have played against Chelsea, Everton and now against West Bromwich Albion, we have created a lot of chances and still we don't score.

"So you can say, as manager, we were not unlucky in every match. It's also that you have to finish these chances.

"We have lost three times in a row so it's also in the hands of my players. It [top four] is less secure."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie stripped of penalty-taking duties after West Brom miss

robin-van-persie-premier-league-manchester-united-v-west-brom-020515_15v8b6cdvse851sy0ottos4vpw.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
May 4, 2015 07:54:00

The Manchester United star saw his effort from 12 yards saved by Boaz Myhill as the Baggies ran out 1-0 winners at Old Trafford, while Wayne Rooney will not succeed his team-mate

Louis van Gaal has confirmed that Robin van Persie has been stripped of his penalty-taking duties after missing from the spot during Manchester United's defeat by West Brom on Saturday.

The Dutchman saw his spot-kick saved by Boaz Myhill at Old Trafford as United fell to their third consecutive Premier League loss, with Chris Brunt's heavily deflected free kick proving decisive.

And Van Gaal has now revealed that he will soon appoint a new penalty taker, though Wayne Rooney will not succeed Van Persie, having also missed from the spot in recent weeks.

"No. He is now at the end of the road," the United manager replied when asked if Van Persie would continue taking penalties.

"It's always like that. Wayne has missed also so, when you miss, you are at the bottom again.

"Wayne has already missed - twice, I believe - so we have penalties and we miss them."

Van Persie has scored 10 goals in 26 Premier League appearances thus far this season.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I think he's wrong' - Wenger hits back at Henry over Giroud comments

olivier-giroud_1a3xpqlq4y53x14caa8qsjj4vs.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
May 4, 2015 08:15:00

The former Arsenal striker criticised his countryman after the 1-0 loss to Chelsea in April but the manager says the ex-France international was being urged to be controversial

Arsene Wenger has hit back at Thierry Henry after the former Arsenal striker criticised Olivier Giroud.

Henry, in his new role as a Sky Sports pundit, claimed that the Gunners need to sign four players before they can be considered genuine contenders to win the Premier League title after they were beaten 1-0 by newly crowned champions Chelsea.

Henry also rubbished the idea that Giroud could fire Arsenal to the title, saying: "I think Giroud is doing extremely well but can you win the league with him? I wouldn't think so.

"He does a job and he does it ever so well but you can't win the league."

Wenger, though, says that Henry's critique of his countryman was wide of the mark and drew comparisons between the 28-year-old and Arsenal's all-time record goalscorer.

"I think he's wrong," the Gunners manager told reporters. "He's paid for that. We know all the system now of the modern media, especially on TV. I know how it works. They push you to be controversial because they give you a lot of money.

"I can accept an opinion but the comment on Giroud was a bit more wrong, especially because I heard the same thing being said about Nicolas Anelka, about Thierry Henry himself and about Robin van Persie - and they all became world-class players themselves."

Chelsea clinched the Premier League title on Sunday as they defeated Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge and Wenger admits that the north Londoners must strengthen their squad this summer, as the Gunners' rivals are likely to splash the cash, too.

"That is the unknown quantity," he said. "How much higher are the other teams going to go? Because you can expect Manchester City to respond. You can expect Manchester United to respond, Liverpool to respond.

"We are not in need of absolute change. We have a strong squad. We have some strong young players behind. We have a very big squad so we need to lose some players as well. We have Lukas Podolski away, Joel Campbell. Yaya Sanogo will come back."