• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allardyce laments lack of squad depth

25 April 2015

833932header.jpg

Sam Allardyce believes West Ham could have made more of their impressive start to the season, citing a lack of strength in depth as a factor in their poor form since Christmas.

Goalkeeper Adrian was the hero for West Ham on Saturday – the Spaniard saving Charlie Austin's first-half penalty as Allardyce's side played out a goalless draw with struggling QPR at Loftus Road.

Though he was pleased with his team's latest display, Allardyce felt poor finishing cost his side - who have won just two Premier League matches since the turn of the year - the chance to claim victory.

"If we finish ninth with 50 points, then we've progressed from last year, and it probably just shows that we need a bit more strength in depth for next season," said the experienced manager.

"It's a tough game when you've got somebody scrapping for survival, so when you've got that you just have to scrap with them and then play when you can.

"We've had a number of chances to win this game, but failed to do so because of poor finishes and final balls.

"That's been a factor so far, a lack of opportunity to finish teams off as easily as we did at the start of the season.

"Clean sheets have been a major factor - but we didn't concede today, and on occasion we've played far better than this and lost, so today was more about the result, but I'm disappointed we didn't take our chances."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis hails ´great point´ for resilient West Brom

25 April 2015

833929header.jpg

Tony Pulis was pleased to see West Brom respond to a recent dip in form at The Hawthorns by producing a determined display to keep Liverpool at bay on Saturday.

After conceding seven goals in their previous two home matches, against struggling sides in QPR and Leicester City, West Brom delivered a performance more in keeping with the reputation of their head coach, as they earned a 0-0 draw against Brendan Rodgers' side.

Liverpool looked more likely to break the deadlock and hit the woodwork through Jordon Ibe in the second half, but the hosts had chances of their own as they edged ever closer to guaranteeing another season in the Premier League.

Pulis said: "I think we showed a little bit more resilience and we had to.

"Liverpool really stepped it up [in the] second half and, to be fair, from the goalkeeper right through to the frontline, everybody's thrown their lives into it and made sure we got the result we needed.

"It's a great point for us and it's something we deserved in respect of the effort and the commitment we've put in, and we had two wonderful chances."

West Brom are seven points above the relegation zone in 13th and seem highly unlikely to be dragged into a late scrap for survival.

However, Pulis added: "We need to keep going. [There are] four games and we need to pick points up. That's the important thing.

"Leicester [who were bottom of the league but now sit 17th] have had four straight wins and no-one saw that coming. I've been in this game long enough to know that strange things do happen, especially at this time of year.

"We knew the last five games for us were going to be really difficult, so to get to 37 points, we're pleased, but I still think we need one or two more."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bruce hails improved Hull display

25 April 2015

833944header.jpg

Steve Bruce praised Hull City's performance as they secured a crucial 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace to boost their Premier League survival hopes.

With five games remaining Hull are just a point clear of the relegation zone and face daunting clashes with Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United - as well as the visit of Burnley - before the end of the season.

Bruce believes they can stay up and hopes to see more displays like the one at Selhurst Park, in which Dame N'Doye scored twice to seal the points.

"We have got four out of five at home against big teams. We know we need to get a result against one of them and the Burnley game looks huge," said the Hull boss.

"We're at home, we have got to try and produce a result I know we're capable of.

"All season we haven't been able to convert the chances, but thankfully today we've been able to take them which relieves the pressure a little bit.

"I think the manner of the performance [was also pleasing], we were the better team by far.

"It can be very difficult in our situation, you forget to play the way it should be, but I thought from first minute we took the ball and passed it well."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pearson: The win is all that matters

25 April 2015

833943header.jpg

Leicester City secured a fourth successive Premier League win with a 1-0 success at Burnley on Saturday and manager Nigel Pearson paid tribute to his side's battling display.

The game swung in a dramatic 60-second period on the hour mark at Turf Moor, as Burnley's Matt Taylor struck the post with a penalty before Leicester scored in their next attack through Jamie Vardy.

Victory lifted Leicester out of the bottom three and one point clear of 18th-placed Sunderland, while Burnley remain bottom, but now five points from safety.

"Not a great game, but it was two sides who are in a situation where you want to win the game but there's also that fear of losing it so I think that impacts the quality," Pearson said.

"I can't say our performance was such that you expect to win the game, but you make the most of the situation as it develops and we defended with real spirit.

"The result is a damn sight more important than the performance.

"At this stage of the season it's about getting the right result. To win four on the trot is a very good achievement, but I'm also aware that people may start to feel the pressure is changed.

"With five games to go we have to keep our fate in our own hands and we have a lot of very difficult games to play.

"If it goes to the last game of the season and it's in our own hands, I'd rather it be that way.

"I've been saying for a long time now that a lot of our performances have been very positive. But there's no time for our players to think the job is done, it's not that at all."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey slams referee Jones after disallowed goal

25 April 2015

833955header.jpg

QPR head coach Chris Ramsey believes that referees must re-evaluate some of their decisions after his side's 0-0 Premier League draw with West Ham.

Charlie Austin had a penalty saved by Adrian in the first half at Loftus Road before Richard Dunne saw a goal disallowed by Mike Jones for a foul on the West Ham goalkeeper.

Ramsey insisted that the referee made the wrong call, but also admitted his side rely too heavily on Austin to supply their goals.

"It's been frustrating, we had a goal disallowed and referees really need to look at the consequences of their decisions, because that was never a foul," he said.

"I'm trying not to get into having a go at the referee, but I can understand why managers do it, because you're fighting for your life and you get a decision like that.

"But we just haven’t had that quality to score the goals that we need and we're paying the price.

"Charlie is devastated about the penalty, but I would say a lot of the points we've accumulated throughout the season have been down to him."

And Ramsey conceded that Premier League survival is now looking more and more unlikely, with QPR second from bottom and four points from safety with four games to go.

"We need three wins now, maybe two depending on other results if we're lucky," he said.

"We have to approach the next few games like they're finals - if we play like we did today and take our chances - and get the decisions, then maybe we'll stay up."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew questions refereeing decisions

25 April 2015

833953header.jpg

Alan Pardew was disappointed with the performance of referee Mark Clattenburg as Crystal Palace were beaten 2-0 by Hull City on Saturday.

For the second successive game in the Premier League, Palace were beaten by a side in the bottom eight - having lost by the same scoreline to West Brom last week - but Pardew felt his side were not helped by the officials.

Two goals from Dame N'Doye gave Hull the win, however Palace were denied a leveller from Yaya Sanogo before the visitors' second in stoppage time, much to the frustration of the Palace boss.

"Key decisions went against us today," he said. "The first goal is handball and we had a penalty [turned down] with Wilf [Zaha].

"I think we should have had a penalty when Glenn [Murray] should have scored in the first half, and then our 'goal' I think that's a tough call.

"No [not blaming him], that’s his job [to make key decisions] and he's a good referee.

"What I did have a problem with was the amount of [added] time we had. I have no problems with teams slowing down the game and wasting time, I've done it myself at Chelsea.

"But they got seven minutes, you accept that and I'm sure Steve Bruce would’ve accepted seven or eight minutes because that's what it should have been, but it wasn't and I'm disappointed in the referee."

Despite his frustrations, Pardew acknowledged his side had been second best at Selhurst Park.

"We weren't at it today as we have been, we'll address that in our way," he added.

"It's hard to say what was missing, missing [Joel] Ward was a problem for us today. The midfield was not quite as I would have liked, and the forward line was not quite as I would have liked."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dyche bemoans ´cruel´ defeat

25 April 2015

833974header.jpg

Sean Dyche lamented Burnley's "cruel" 1-0 defeat to Leicester City, which left his side five points adrift of Premier League safety.

In a meeting between two top-flight strugglers at Turf Moor, the game was decided in a dramatic 60-second spell on the hour mark.

Having won a penalty for his side, Burnley's Matt Taylor struck the upright with his spot-kick before Leicester snatched the winner in their next attack through Jamie Vardy.

Leicester's fourth straight win lifted them out of the relegation zone and one point clear of danger, while Burnley remain bottom, now five points behind their opponents.

"The game is cruel sometimes and I think that was a show of it today," Dyche said. "It was at its cruelest I felt.

"Second half I thought we were good, their keeper has made big saves for them and was arguably their man of the match. It's the cruel side of football I think.

"It's a blow to us in a cruel way, but we've been written off all season so it's not new territory for us and it's all about the mentality for us going forward.

"It's been a tough ask all season, we were written off one minute after getting up. I believed in the team all season and I still do.

"Never say never. We're relentless in our will and desire to win games and there's no reason why that changes. It's a tough challenge but it's doable so we've got to make the tide turn."

Taylor took the penalty ahead of regular taker Danny Ings, but Dyche says he attaches no blame to the midfielder for that decision.

"There's no rallying round him, there's no need to," Dyche said. "He's a man, he's not a boy, and he's been around this block a long time.

"Matty gripped that ball and wanted the pen. I've got no problem with that at all.

"He's got a history of taking them. It's a great sign, he struck it well but his heel just shifted as he hit it and it's one of them things."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood lambasts Benteke decision as Villa miss out in late drama

25 April 2015

834029header.jpg

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood slammed a crucial offside call that went against his team in Saturday's 3-2 Premier League defeat at Manchester City.

The FA Cup finalists came back from 2-0 down to draw level at the Etihad Stadium thanks to maiden goals for the club from Tom Cleverley and Carlos Sanchez - the latter strike coming five minutes from time.

Top scorer Christian Benteke then broke clear of the home defence, but was flagged offside before being brought down by City goalkeeper Joe Hart.

To compound Villa's frustration, Fernandinho then gave City another lead a minute from time that they would not relinquish, and Sherwood struggled to contain his anger at the Benteke decision.

"You don't need me to tell you, it's blatant isn't it? It's not offside and it's a penalty," he told Sky Sports.

"It's not hard, that's what they [assistant referees] are paid to do. It's tight and it's one that's gone against us."

Villa lie 16th in the table, two points above the relegation zone following wins for fellow strugglers Hull City and Leicester City earlier on Saturday.

They have also played a game more than the three sides immediately below them, although Sherwood was keen to highlight the positives of a performance that saw his players hit back from a nightmare start.

Brad Guzan horribly miscued a clearance to hand the division's leading scorer Sergio Aguero his 21st league goal of the season after three minutes, but Villa had proved a match for the reigning champions when Aleksandar Kolarov curled home a 66th-minute free-kick.

"Coming here and playing like we did, to get nothing out of the game is a big disappointment," Sherwood added.

"I think we edged it to be honest. We came to the home of the champions and controlled possession, certainly in the first period on the back of a devastating start for us.

"We showed a lot of character, bounced back and one of the decisions has cost us."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini salutes City spirit in Villa win

25 April 2015

834041header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini hailed the spirit of his Manchester City team after they snatched a late 3-2 Premier League win over Aston Villa.

The soon-to-be-deposed champions appeared to be cruising to victory after Sergio Aguero capitalised on an early error from Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan and Aleksandar Kolarov scored a trademark free-kick midway through the second half.

But Carlos Sanchez followed Tom Cleverley in scoring his first goal for Villa to haul Tim Sherwood's FA Cup finalists level with five minutes remaining.

A tight offside call went against Christian Benteke to deny Villa the chance of an improbable turnaround before substitute Fernandinho had the final word for City in the 89th minute.

The victory moves City up to second in the table, although Arsenal and Manchester United would go back above them if they beat champions-elect Chelsea and Everton respectively on Sunday.

Perhaps more significantly, Pellegrini's team are nine points ahead of fifth-place Liverpool in the race for a UEFA Champions League spot and he is hopeful the battling qualities shown at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday can help to close the season with four victories.

"We have to play for another 12 points," Pellegrini said. "It was important to win those three points and we will see tomorrow what happens with United and Arsenal.

"It is very important to continue with the spirit that we had today. It is not easy when you are winning 2-0 and they draw 2-2 to go again for the match.

"We did it and we scored the third goal. We made important mistakes in both set-pieces when they scored but, with this spirit, maybe another game we don't lose."

City could be without Yaya Toure for the run-in after Pellegrini confirmed that the Ivory Coast midfielder was substituted at half-time due to a hamstring injury that will be assessed next week.

Either side of Toure's departure, the manager was perplexed by City's unusual sloppiness in possession.

"We didn't play well today," he added. "I thought Aston Villa played well, especially with the possession of the ball.

"It was maybe one of our worst games in possession. We have so much possession against every team that today it was strange to see the important amount of passes we lost."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Villa confident of staying up - Sherwood

26 April 2015

834310header.jpg

A bullish Tim Sherwood remained upbeat over Aston Villa's chances of retaining their Premier League status following Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Manchester City.

Villa looked to have snatched an unlikely point from the champions when goals from Tom Cleverley and Carlos Sanchez brought them level with five minutes remaining.

However, Fernandinho popped up with an 89th-minute winner for City and results elsewhere mean FA Cup finalists Villa are just two points above the relegation zone in 15th - with the three teams immediately below them each boasting a game in hand.

Nevertheless, Sherwood feels recent performances have established high levels of belief within his team, who play three of their final four league fixtures at home.

"We've been away to White Hart Lane and won, we've gone to Wembley and beaten Liverpool [in the cup semi-final] and we've come here and should have got something at the home of the champions," he said.

"We expect to win wherever we go and play. We had belief coming in [to the match against City] and if there needed to be more belief they would get that from that performance.

"They're very disappointed that we haven't won the game, let alone come away with nothing.

"Unfortunately we're running out of games but there are still enough games for us to look after our own destiny."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard worth ´£100m each leg´ - Mourinho

26 April 2015

834199header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Real Madrid only £200m and one of their best three players would get them Eden Hazard.

Hazard, 24, has helped Chelsea to within touching distance of the Premier League title - sitting nine points clear at the top ahead of Sunday's trip to Arsenal.

The Belgium international has been linked with a move to La Liga giants Real, but that is no chance of happening if Mourinho is to be believed.

"£100m each leg - he's very young," the Portuguese tactician said.

"Plus one of their [Real's] three best players."

Mourinho played down the speculation, saying he believes his former club would call him if they were interested in Hazard.

"If they want him I think I would be the first one to know because my relationship with the president and with the CEO doesn't give space for something to happen behind me," he said.

"I trust them completely. If they want him, they get on the telephone and they call me to tell me they want him.

"It's the way I feel about president [Florentino] Perez and [Real director general Jose Angel] Sanchez."

Hazard has been shortlisted for the PFA Player of the Year Award after a standout campaign.

But Mourinho said the star attacking midfielder had retained his modesty.

"He knows that he's a special player for us and that we need him in many occasions to be decisive for us, but he's such a normal boy that he doesn't belong to that glamour," he said.

"He wants to be a special player and a normal person. He's a fantastic boy, a golden boy.

"He doesn't cheat. He doesn't dive. Nothing. So I think, even for opponents, he's a fantastic kid."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho swerves Oscar discussion to hail Terry display

26 April 2015

834499header.jpg

Jose Mourinho was left unconcerned by his Chelsea side seeing three penalty appeals turned down against Arsenal on Sunday, instead hailing captain John Terry's performance.

The skipper continued his impressive campaign at the heart of Chelsea's defence alongside Gary Cahill as the Premier League leaders inched closer to a fourth title with a 0-0 draw at the Emirates Stadium.

Referee Michael Oliver was at the centre of things - with four penalty appeals turned down between the sides - including what seemed a blatant foul on Oscar by Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina.

After Mourinho's men took a step closer to winning the league the Portuguese preferred to focus on his side and Terry in particular.

Asked by Sky Sports about the decisions, Mourinho responded: "I don't comment. I prefer to forget the penalties and focus on the overall performance.

"You have the technology, the repetition, the pundits and I don't want to analyse. I prefer to look to the performance and say the referee's performance was good.

"I told John Terry in the dressing room that he made fantastic performances with me in six years but for me this was the best I have seen from him.

"It was the best JT has ever played. His defensive performance was absolutely amazing."

Mourinho, who needs six more points from his side's remaining five outings to seal the title, added: "The team is very confident and playing extremely well so we know it is in our hands.

"We got what we got. I leave it for you to analyse but we performed very, very, very well. Against a very good team second in the table with nothing to lose and everything to win. The game was under control."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho hits back at Arsenal fans´ ´boring´ jibes

26 April 2015

834570header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho offered a stinging rebuttal to Arsenal and their supporters after his side were subjected to "boring, boring" chants, suggesting Arsene Wenger's side should be bored by their Premier League title drought.

Sunday's top-of-the-table clash at the Emirates Stadium turned out to be a damp squib with the two sides playing out a 0-0 draw.

Mourinho opted to start the game without a recognised striker in his starting XI as Chelsea claimed a point that leaves them just two wins away from winning the title.

The Arsenal faithful were not too pleased with Mourinho's tactics, though, and vented their frustration from the stands with chants of "boring, boring Chelsea".

The Portuguese took exception to the chant, referencing the fact that Arsenal last lifted the title in 2004.

"I think boring is 10 years without a title - that's boring," he said.

"If you support a club and you wait, wait, wait for so many years without a Premier League title, then that's boring."

Mourinho also cheekily suggested that perhaps the Arsenal fans were singing towards Wenger in response to the Frenchman's decision to take Olivier Giroud off with six minutes remaining in place of Theo Walcott.

He added: "Maybe Arsenal's fans were not singing to us. When you want to win the game and you take your striker Olivier Giroud off maybe they want more, maybe they want Giroud and Theo Walcott up front."

The former Real Madrid boss defended Chelsea's style of play, with his team having scored 65 goals and holding a +39 goal difference.

"This boring team has got the second highest number of goals, has the best goal difference. Only Manchester City have scored more goals than us," he said.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferguson: United boss can break my trophy record

26 April 2015

834196header.jpg

Alex Ferguson said he wants his trophy record to be broken by a Manchester United manager.

The legendary Old Trafford boss collected 38 trophies in 26 years in Manchester, including 13 Premier League titles and two UEFA Champions League crowns.

Usually ever competitive, Ferguson revealed his desire for another United boss to outdo him.

"We had a wonderful run of success when I was here and we won a lot of trophies," Ferguson told The Mirror.

"But I really hope someone comes along and breaks my record here, I really do.

"I'd like to see another United manager come in and win 45 trophies in 25 years. Nothing would make me happier.

"Why? Because it's a food chain at this club. First there was the great Sir Matt Busby and then there was me.

"Now I'd love someone else to come in and establish a long run of success because that's what this club is all about."

The 73-year-old also said he revelled in the 'Fergie Time' goals his side managed to score, with United famous for their late shows under the Scotsman's watch.

Among the notable instances of crucial late goals for United included Steve Bruce's 97th-minute winner in 1993, the 1999 Champions League final when two stoppage-time goals saw them deny Bayern Munich 2-1 and Michael Owen's 96th-minute winner in the Manchester derby in September 2009.

"The one thing that I will always take from my time here as manager will be those last-minute goals," Ferguson said.

"I considered it was my job to send everyone home happy when they came to see us play and nothing did that like a last-minute goal.

"And I'm not just talking about the 1999 Champions League final. The number of last-minute goals we scored was incredible.

"The effect on everyone was something I still remember. I'd get back to the dressing room and my players would be jumping all over each other, my staff would be embracing one another, and the fans would leave the ground and head to the pub on a high.

"Those goals gave me the greatest memories and the impact they had on people made it the best part of the job for me."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: No room for error now

26 April 2015

834247header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has urged his side to keep their slim hopes of UEFA Champions League qualification alive by winning their five remaining Premier League matches.

A goalless draw at West Brom on Saturday saw Liverpool lose further ground in the race for a top-four finish.

They now trail Manchester City by nine points, having played one fewer game, while Manchester United and Arsenal will be even further clear if they claim three points against Everton and Chelsea respectively on Sunday.

Rodgers acknowledged Liverpool require an unlikely set of results to achieve their goal, but is determined to oversee a strong finish to the campaign.

He said: "It's very difficult. The six games, we needed to win five, I felt, at least, so now we've got five to go, we'll have to look to win them to give ourselves a chance.

"You never know what happens above you, that's the thing with football, you just never know.

"But what you have to do is make sure you keep the pressure on."

Liverpool can close the gap to their rivals on Tuesday when they travel to relegation-threatened Hull City.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino hoping to strengthen

26 April 2015

834264header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino is hoping for significant activity in the close-season as Tottenham aim to return to the UEFA Champions League.

With four games of their Premier League campain remaining, Spurs look set to miss out on a top-four finish.

Pochettino reiterated after Saturday's 2-2 draw at Southampton that qualification for the Europa League was "not my dream" and highlighted the need for his club to strengthen in order to regain a place among Europe's elite.

"It [the Europa League] is not the competition that is your dream, my dream is to play with Tottenham in the Champions League and for that we need to prepare, a big summer," said Pochettino.

"I think we need to build a strong team to be realistic and try to fight for the top four next season. Because I think our dream, for our supporters and the club, is to fight for the top four and try to reach the Champions League.

"After my experience here I think that it's very tough to play in the Europa League.

"I think for the players it's very, very tough. If we reach the Europa League we need to try to do better this season, to try and fight for the top four and to try to win the Europa League, but it is not my dream."

Pochettino was given cause for concern at St Mary's Stadium when Ben Davies was taken off on a stretcher in the second half with a shoulder injury.

However, the Tottenham head coach said: "Ben is much better now. We hope that it's not a big issue. We need to assess him in the next few days, but we hope it's not a longer problem."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Happy´ Hazard rejects talk of Chelsea exit

26 April 2015

834283header.jpg

Eden Hazard insists he is happy at Chelsea and has no intention of leaving the club despite links with Real Madrid and Paris-Saint Germain.

The Belgium international has been in sensational form for the Premier League leaders this season with 13 goals and eight assists, and is the favourite to be named as the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year on Sunday.

Hazard is keen to build a legacy similar to Didier Drogba and John Terry at Stamford Bridge, with the UEFA Champions League his top target.

"I am happy here," he told Sky Sports. "I play with big players and the most important thing is I want to win trophies and with this club, it is possible.

"[The] Champions League is difficult. We play against a big team, but one day I hope I can win this trophy as it is the best.

"All the big players have won the Champions League and I hope I can bring, like Didier [Drogba] did, the Champions League to Stamford Bridge."

Mourinho will play a key role in keeping Hazard in England, the forward admitting he has loved working under the Portuguese manager for the last two seasons.

"I train well with him, we work well," he added. "But the most important thing for me is he lets me play, he just asked me to be the best and he doesn't give me pressure.

"So for the player we are free and this is good.

"Everybody knows I like to have the ball at my feet, but without the ball I try to give everything offensively, defensively.

"This is my job. But for me, the most important thing is to create something, to score for the team or create an assist."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: United to assess Rooney injury

26 April 2015

834433header.jpg

Louis van Gaal is anxiously awaiting news on Wayne Rooney after his captain suffered a knee injury in Manchester United's 3-0 loss at Everton on Sunday.

Rooney endured a miserable return to Goodison Park, putting in an ineffectual performance as goals from James McCarthy, John Stones and Kevin Mirallas gave his former club a richly deserved victory.

The England skipper's frustrating afternoon was compounded when he had to be substituted late on due to a knee problem.

Rooney was seen applying ice to the joint on the bench, and Van Gaal confirmed that the striker will be assessed.

"We have to wait and see how heavy [serious] it is," the Dutchman told MUTV.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal bemoans lack of fighting spirit

26 April 2015

834515header.jpg

Louis van Gaal was left perplexed by Manchester United's lack of "fighting spirit" in their meek 3-0 loss at Everton on Sunday.

United were undone by a superb counter-attacking display at Goodison Park, with goals from James McCarthy, John Stones and Kevin Mirallas earning Roberto Martinez's team a fully deserved victory.

Van Gaal's men dominated possession throughout, but were toothless in the final third and the Dutchman slammed his players for their lack of intensity as they suffered back-to-back Premier League defeats for the first time under his management.

"I don't think we were equal in fighting spirit to Everton," Van Gaal told Sky Sports.

"It was very difficult for us after they scored the first goal [McCarthy opened the scoring after just five minutes], but when you see our shots on goal - the fighting spirit was not in the shots either.

"They blocked everything in the second half and then score again on the counter.

"You have to start the game much better than we have started. The first goal, we lost three duels in a row.

"You have to start with the same motivation and aggression as your opponent."

The Dutchman believes his players looked lethargic as early as the pre-match warm-up.

He added: "I had the feeling already, and my colleagues Ryan Giggs and Albert Stuivenberg also had the feeling, because warming up was not so good as usual.

"You say that in the last minutes before the game, that you hope that you can recover, that you can stimulate your players, but then it is too late. You have to prepare the match already two, three days before, and Everton have done that, and they have won because of that.

"Players think 'okay it shall come', but it shall not come. You need the inspiration and the motivation and the aggression, to win the second balls, and also to fight until the end. Many times I have said they fought until the end, and what manager can demand more."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

United have opened the door for Liverpool - Van Gaal

26 April 2015

834575header.jpg

Manchester United have allowed Liverpool back into the race for UEFA Champions League qualification with their meek 3-0 defeat at Everton, according to Louis van Gaal.

Van Gaal's team were well beaten at Goodison Park on Sunday, with goals from James McCarthy, John Stones and Kevin Mirallas giving Everton a richly deserved victory.

United have now lost back-to-back two Premier League games for the first time under Van Gaal's leadership after last week's defeat to Chelsea.

Liverpool have two matches before United next play, meaning Everton's neighbours could be just a point adrift of Van Gaal's men by the time they kick-off against West Brom next Saturday.

And when asked whether United's blip has given Liverpool fresh hope of a top-four place in his post-match media conference on Sunday, Van Gaal replied: "Yes, I have said the same words to the players: 'You give the light to your opponents.'"