• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toure open to ´new challenges´

21 April 2015 18:35

831644header.jpg

As speculation surrounding his future at Manchester City continues to mount, Yaya Toure says he is open to the possibility of taking on "new challenges".

Toure has been one of the integral factors behind City's success since he joined from Barcelona in 2010, helping the club to two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and the League Cup during that time.

However, his form this season has been brought into question, with City destined to end 2014-15 without any major silverware.

Rumours have been rife that Toure could be set for a move away from the Etihad Stadium come the end of the campaign, and the Ivorian was coy when quizzed on his future.

"Since I started playing football, I had a dream as a little boy. Today, I am living the dream of thousands of little boys," he told Foot Mercato.

"I represent my continent, Africa, and that has no price. No amount of wages will make me stay at a club if I feel that I no longer belong there or if no challenge exists for me.

"It would be unjust on my part. There comes a moment where numbers don't stop us, it goes beyond that, even if the English press seem more interested in the numbers than the sport itself.

"For the future, I don't know more than you do, because I will always go where I am offered new challenges. That is in my nature."

Paris Saint-Germain have been touted as a possible destination for Toure, who was cautious in his praise for the Ligue 1 champions.

"In the past I have given my opinion on PSG, which went on to inspire a lot of your journalist colleagues," he said.

"PSG is a great club who, I think, is not finished growing and also a big club where any great player can find a place for themselves and make a contribution."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

United yet to decide on Falcao future - Vasilyev

21 April 2015 19:57

831678header.jpg

Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev has revealed Manchester United have not ruled out making the signing of Radamel Falcao a permanent one at the end of the season.

Falcao joined United on loan with a view to a full transfer in September of last year. But the Colombia international has been unable to live up to expectations at Old Trafford, scoring just four goals in 25 appearances for Louis van Gaal's men.

United have the option to sign the former Atletico Madrid man for £43.5million at the end of the campaign.

And, despite his disappointing season, Vasilyev told Nice-Matin: "I saw the Manchester United people last Sunday and they have not yet decided if they would exercise the option.

"It’s not his best season, but they kept the opportunity to make a decision at the end of the season.

"We are not in any other negotiations, even if big clubs are interested. The decision is with Manchester, then we will discuss with the player what he wants. I would like to have more visibility."

Explaining the reasons for Falcao's departure from Monaco, Vasilyev added: "He had mishaps in Monaco. He had problems with the coach [Claudio Ranieri], there was a lack of understanding; he was also seriously injured and missed the World Cup.

"In late August, he came to tell us that he wanted to play at a higher level."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinclair wants permanent Villa move

22 April 2015 01:57

831861header.jpg

Manchester City-owned Scott Sinclair wants to make his move to Aston Villa a permanent one at the end of the season.

Sinclair, 26, joined Villa on loan in January after a frustrating spell at City and has scored three goals in 10 matches in all competitions for the FA Cup finalists.

With Villa likely to retain their Premier League status, the former England youth international would like to remain at the club beyond the end of the season.

"Definitely, I feel at home at Villa, it's a great club, I'm sure at the end of the season we can sit down and I can sign," he said.

"I just have to wait until the end of the season."

Sinclair returned from a hamstring injury to feature off the bench in Villa's 2-1 FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool on Sunday.

The former Chelsea and Swansea City man praised his team's character in setting up a clash against Arsenal in the decider.

"We've had a tough time and we've had to dig deep but it brings out the character in us and shows we have the fight to keep going and now we have to take it in the Premier League and make sure we're safe," Sinclair said.

"All we can do is keep going and these are the kinds of games which bring experience.

"In the semi-final, all the team stuck together and gave everything.

"Everyone is driving everyone on, the team spirit in the group is great and when we're going through the tough times we can dig deep."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Jong close to Newcastle return

22 April 2015 02:29

831867header.jpg

There has not been much to cheer about around St James' Park but Siem de Jong is desperate to change that, with the Newcastle United forward hopeful of making a comeback from injury.

De Jong - recruited from Dutch giants Ajax - has spent most of his debut season on the sidelines, with a collapsed lung suffered in February the latest problem, but the Netherlands international moved closer to a return after featuring for Newcastle's U21s on Monday.

The 26-year-old played 73 minutes in a 2-1 win over Aston Villa and his performance has him in line to make the bench against Swansea City on Saturday, with Newcastle bidding to arrest a six-match losing streak in the Premier League.

"I am just glad to be back playing and I even asked if I could play this game," De Jong said.

"I was glad for that and maybe I can be part of the team next weekend. I am training as well so my legs are a little heavy in the game but I think 73 minutes was good progress.

"I feel I am still three or four kilos lighter than I was at the beginning of the season. I need to gain strength, muscle and explosiveness.

"We will see if I can help the team but I need those extra games and extra training sessions so I am working.

"I can't rush it, I don't think I can help the team if I am not at 100 per cent. If I am joining in not fit it won't be good for me or for the team.

"We have to pick the right moment."

De Jong added: "You want to be part of the team and I haven't really been part of the team this season.

"I have mostly been training by myself so it has been quite tough on me and also on the team, the club and the fans.

"They expect a lot from a new signing and then this happened so of course it is most frustrating."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres: Gerrard best I´ve played with

22 April 2015 02:35

831872header.jpg

Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has described Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard as the best player he has played with.

The Spain international played alongside Gerrard at Anfield from 2007-2011 before making a big-money move to Chelsea.

Despite having played alongside the likes of Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Xabi Alonso and Frank Lampard, Torres said Gerrard was best.

"Out of all the great players I have played with, Gerrard, for me, is the best," Torres told The Mirror.

"But he is more than that - he is a good friend who, as a captain, is always there for his players.

"I know what Liverpool means to him, so yes I would have loved to see my friend finish his final season with a trophy, but it was not to be.

"He has had so much success for Liverpool that I am sure the final game is going to be very emotional for him and the fans."

Gerrard will leave Liverpool at the end of what has been a trophy-less season for Brendan Rodgers' men.

Torres backed the 34-year-old's decision to move to MLS outfit Los Angeles Galaxy.

"I think he does still have lots to offer," Torres said.

"Of course your body slows down as you get older, but the technical ability stays.

"The MLS is a much slower place than in England, so I expect him to be very successful there."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: Grealish must decide if he´s more Irish or English

22 April 2015 02:36

831871header.jpg

Tim Sherwood urged Jack Grealish to decide if he is more Irish or English, when deciding on who he represents at senior international level.

The Aston Villa midfielder, 19, is on the verge of playing in an FA Cup final, after helping the Midlands club reach the decider at Wembley with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Liverpool on Sunday.

But whether Grealish - who started and played 84 minutes against the Reds - appears more frequently at the coveted London venue is up to him, as he prepares to decide on his international representation.

The Birmingham-born product has played at under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland.

Villa manager Sherwood revealed he has experience in dealing with such situations.

"I had the same situation with Nabil Bentaleb, who could have played for France but decided to pick Algeria," the former Tottenham boss said.

"I did have a chat with him and he asked me what to do. I just said: 'You've got to go with your heart. Do you think you're French or Algerian?'

"That's the decision he had to make and now Jack has got to make that decision."

Sherwood said Grealish needed to establish himself in the Premier League first.

"Jack has to play a few more times for Aston Villa before he needs to make that decision," Sherwood added.

"It's up to Jack where he wants to go. It's purely up to him. What I've got to do is make sure he's got that decision to make.

"He must be doing something right for Aston Villa if he's got those options. That's my priority.

"Then it's up to Jack to decide where he wants to go."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City have not been good enough - Hart

joe-hart-premier-league-manchester-city-v-west-brom-210315_z6jfah9lyq6z1dwqqmkn3xkx9.jpg

By Greg Lea
Apr 21, 2015 11:06:00

The goalkeeper admits his side should have challenged for the title this year and must now accept the criticism coming their way after falling short

Joe Hart admits Manchester City should have done more to challenge for the Premier League title this season.

City, who won the league on the final day last term, were level with Chelsea at the top at the start of January but have since fallen away, dropping 21 points from 14 games in 2015.

“We are not in the place where we wanted to be - we wanted to be really challenging for the title like we’ve done in previous years. We’ve got to be honest," Hart told reporters.

“We’ve let ourselves down at key moments. It’s a difficult league to win. The two times we’ve won it it’s gone right to the wire.

“This season a lot of games we’ve played well, but teams have tended to raise their game against us. It’s just how it is, that’s not me moaning.

“That’s this league for you, it’s tough. We accept that. We’ve got the squad to put it right.”

After winning the league under Roberto Mancini in 2012, City struggled the following year, finishing 11 points behind champions Manchester United.

Manuel Pellegrini's side - currently 12 points behind leaders Chelsea - look set to finish even further behind this time around, but Hart does not believe that City's players have been unable to handle the added pressure that comes with defending a title.

“It’s just a difficult league to win. I don’t think the champions label makes it any more difficult or any easier," said the goalkeeper.

“If we could blame that, it would be the easy way out. We just haven’t performed in certain moments.

“We work hard, we have meetings, we talk about it among ourselves, we talk about it with the manager. We do everything we can to put it right.

“Everyone has bad games - I’ve had plenty. We’re not little kids. We’ve got an experienced squad and we’ve got people who have been through a lot of ups and downs.

“The good thing with this team is that it’s not down to lack of effort or desire. Sometimes you have bad games - that’s football. We feel quite safe in the dressing-room that we’ve got each others’ backs."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool should give Rodgers more time - Owen

brendan-rodgers-aston-villa-liverpool-fa-cup-19042015_16vag4tt2vshl166yyf365s0s0.jpg

By Jamie Dunn
Apr 21, 2015 12:33:00

The Anfield outfit crashed out of the FA Cup to Aston Villa, but the former England international believes the coach deserves another year in charge

Brendan Rodgers should not face the sack at Liverpool despite a disappointing season at Anfield, according to Michael Owen.

Liverpool were eliminated from the FA Cup at the semi-final stage by Aston Villa on Sunday as Tim Sherwood's side came from a goal down to win 2-1 at Wembley.

And, after elimination from the Champions League at the group stages, the Reds face an uphill battle to secure a top-four finish in the Premier League as they sit seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester City with six games left to play.

But former Liverpool striker Owen believes Rodgers deserves another year in charge after narrowly missing out on the Premier League title last season.

"He is under pressure no question about it, I think he should be given more time, I really do," Owen told BT Sport.

"It was only 12 months ago when, if you go to Anfield every week, last season was the best football and the most exciting time to be a Liverpool fan in years.

"I know they won the Champions League and I know we won trophies before that, but that was the best team you know, the best time to be a Liverpool fan. One slip away from winning the Premier League and I think Brendan Rodgers is a very good manager and certainly deserves another year just based on that season.

"It has been a disappointing season you know, I’m not saying it isn’t but I do think there are so many positives as well, I don't think they are in a worse position than when he took over so I feel he does deserve another year."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria gets Manchester United shirt number tattoo

1042252_heroa.jpg

Apr 21, 2015 13:08:00

The Argentine is reportedly unsettled in England after struggling with form and security at his home, but has had '7' added to his vast selection of permanent inkings on his arm

Angel Di Maria has had his Manchester United shirt number tattooed on his arm in an impressive showing of commitment to Louis van Gaal's side.

The Argentine was handed the No.7 shirt after becoming the club and British-record signing last summer for €75 million, previously worn by the likes of David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona at Old Trafford.

Di Maria has struggled to settle into life in the Premier League, having lost his place to Ashley Young in United's midfield before the house him and his wife share was the target of an attempted buglary.

However, any talk of a summer exit could be meaningless with Di Maria proudly displaying his new inking.

Capture.jpg

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Skrtel: I'm staying at Liverpool

martin-skrtel_jzx9onaqh0lu1r3lnnt8pkla5.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 22, 2015 13:44:00

The defender revealed last season that he was close to leaving Anfield after falling down the pecking order but his agent says that the club have offered him fresh terms

Martin Skrtel has denied reports that he is set to leave Liverpool and is set to sign a new contract at Anfield.

The centre-back, whose current deal is set to expire in June 2016, has been linked with possible moves to Wolfsburg or a reunion with Rafael Benitez at Napoli.

Skrtel has previously revealed that he was close to leaving Liverpool last season after falling down the pecking order under Brendan Rodgers but now looks set to extend his stay with the Reds.

"I am not leaving anywhere. Not to Wolfsburg nor to Naples," the defender told the Liverpool Echo.

Skrtel's agent, Karol Csonto, added: "The only offer on Martin Skrtel's table right now is the extension of his contract from Liverpool. We have been working on the details and we will be finalising it soon.

"It is not true that he has some offer from the German club. I don't know anything about their interest."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle fans plan second boycott for Swansea game

23 April 2015

832517header.jpg

The group behind the boycott of Newcastle United's home game with Tottenham have announced a second protest against owner Mike Ashley for Saturday's match versus Swansea City.

Last Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Tottenham saw many Newcastle opt not to turn up to St James' Park as part of a boycott organised by AshleyOut.com.

The official attendance for that contest was announced as 47,427, although the number of empty seats in the stadium suggested that the actual figure may have been even lower.

And the group has chosen to continue its fight against sportswear magnate Ashley's running of the club and the perceived lack of ambition behind the scenes.

A stand-up protest in the 34th minute - a reference to the revelations that Newcastle have £34million in unspent funds in the bank - has been organised for fans wishing to attend the game.

In addition, there will also be protests - co-ordinated with fans of Scottish side Rangers, a club in which Ashley holds a nine per cent stake - outside Sports Direct stores in the city.

"We will back any fan who continues to boycott the game to make a stand (#BoycottSwansea)," an AshleyOut.com statement read.

"For those fans wishing to attend the Swansea game, we request them to #StandUpToAshley after 34 minutes of the game, to represent the fact that having no manager and a threadbare squad devoid of quality, yet having £34m in the bank is not an acceptable situation.

"Secondly, from 12:30pm (local time) on Saturday we will target Sports Direct stores within a 20 mile radius of St. James' Park and their flagship Oxford Street store by means of a peaceful protest.

"Further details regarding this protest will be released shortly but we wish to emphasise that this must be a peaceful protest and is aimed at Mike Ashley and the shareholders of Sports Direct International plc.

"This protest is not aimed at the innocent staff members often working with minimal employment rights on zero hours contracts and they must be respected and supported at all times. This protest will be coordinated with supporters of Rangers football club who will target stores in the vicinity of Ibrox.

"The boycott for the Spurs game was only the start. We would like to widen the campaign at this stage to include Mike Ashley's main interest, which is Sports Direct and affiliated companies and will shortly be launching a new section on our website dedicated to things every fan can do to ensure that Mike Ashley's involvement becomes an ever-less profitable one for him and his companies. This new campaign will be known as #AshleyEmbargo."

Newcastle have won just two games in 2015 and sit seven points above the Premier League relegation zone with five matches remaining.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey ponders Fer gamble

23 April 2015

832551header.jpg

Chris Ramsey is ready to take a gamble on the fitness of Leroy Fer in QPR's crucial London derby against West Ham on Saturday.

Netherlands international Fer has not played for the past two months since suffering a knee injury in February's 2-0 victory over Sunderland - a match in which he scored the opening goal.

The midfielder has impressed since moving to Loftus Road from Norwich City and has scored four goals in 24 Premier League appearances.

Head coach Ramsey is keen to avoid a repeat injury, but says Fer has a chance of at least making the bench when Sam Allardyce's men visit.

"Leroy Fer is in contention," he said. "He's not 100 per cent, but we might take a chance on him. We don't want a reoccurring injury though.

"We're hoping at the very least he will be on the bench for us this weekend. He's a big player for us."

QPR head into the match two points adrift of safety with just five matches remaining.

Ramsey's position as boss is only guaranteed until the end of the campaign, but he insists that no thoughts have yet been given to extending his stay.

He added: "Everyone here is focused on the challenge [of staying up]. My future isn't a priority. Survival is in the forefront of our thoughts."

Opposite number Allardyce is another man whose job is under threat as reports suggest West Ham will look to replace the 60-year-old at the end of the season - rumours that have surprised Ramsey.

"I haven't paid much attention to the speculation around Sam's job," he said. "Whether it's true or false I don't know.

"I don't see why there would be speculation about his job - he's done a very good job at Upton Park. Sam will prepare his team as he always does. The speculation about his future will have no impact on the game."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Henderson signs long-term Liverpool contract

23 April 2015

1050522_heroa.jpg

Jordan Henderson has signed a new long-term deal with Liverpool.

The England international has been one of Brendan Rodgers' most consistent performers this term, having become a key feature in the team after a difficult start following his move from Sunderland in 2011.

The 24-year-old has regularly assumed the captaincy due to the reduced playing time of Steven Gerrard.

With club legend Gerrard due to leave for LA Galaxy at the end of the season, Henderson is virtually guaranteed to be named his successor as skipper.

"It's brilliant news for me to commit my future to this football club," he told the club's official website.

"I really feel that it's a good time for us to look forward to the future, with the squad we've got, the manager, the size of the club and the fans we've got. I really think, over the next few years, we can challenge and start winning trophies.

"That's the next phase; we've improved massively over the last few years, and I think the next phase for us is to start challenging for titles and trophies as well."

Manager Rodgers has been effusive in his praise of the midfielder during a season that has seen Liverpool drop out of the UEFA Champions League at the group stages while failing to match last term's Premier League title tilt.

The Northern Irishman added: "Jordan is a brilliant professional and his dedication to his career and football in general makes him a role model to all young players.

"He has faced adversity in his time at Liverpool, but his improvement, growth and development is entirely down to his own hunger, commitment and willingness to learn and be better.

"The fact he has made such a long-term commitment to Liverpool is a sign of his belief in what we are looking to do here. He will have a crucial role to play as we look to take this side forward and look to add success to the progress we have made."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp not interested in Premier League speculation

23 April 2015

jurgenklopp-cropped_15ffihd2k12w814mx5btrglb30.jpg

Outgoing Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp insists he is not interested in speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League.

The Bundesliga club confirmed last week that Klopp would leave his post at the end of the campaign after seven seasons in charge.

Dortmund have already appointed Thomas Tuchel as the successor to Klopp, who has been mentioned as a potential target for the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool.

But Klopp told a press conference prior to Saturday's game with Eintracht Frankfurt: "I'm not interested in what the Premier League thinks of me. I'm just looking forward to the rest of our season."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Clark ruled out for season

23 April 2015

832654header.jpg

Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, the club confirmed on Thursday.

Clark was forced off during the first half of Villa's 2-1 Premier League victory over Tottenham earlier this month and missed last weekend's FA Cup semi-final triumph over Liverpool.

And the 25-year-old now appears to set to miss the final with the issue.

Manager Tim Sherwood had been pessimistic about Clark's chances of a return, saying before the semi-final: "It's a real blow for Ciaran but that's the nature of the game – when you're in there, there's a chance of getting injured.

"He's certainly one that doesn't hold back and puts his body on the line. Unfortunately, he's caught one there and we'll see him next season."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Palace boss Pardew rubbishes Krul links

23 April 2015

832672header.jpg

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has been left "surprised" by rumours he is interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul and insists there is no substance to the reports.

Krul was a first-team regular for Pardew during his time as Newcastle boss and there is speculation that the Palace boss is keen for a reunion with the Dutchman at Selhurst Park.

However, Pardew insists that he is happy with his options between the sticks, with first-choice Julian Speroni backed up by Wayne Hennessey.

"I'm surprised at that [links to Krul] because there's been no contact between me and Newcastle and certainly not with me and the player or the agents that represent him," Pardew said.

"I don't know where it's come from and quite frankly it's unwelcome. I have a great situation with the goalkeepers here.

"Tim's a great goalkeeper, but he's a Newcastle goalie and I'm pretty confident that's where he'll stay.

"I don't understand that one. As far as we're concerned we're looking at a number of players for next season, but a goalie isn't one of them."

With Palace in contention for a top-10 finish in the Premier League, Pardew is keen to improve his squad for next season and says that his search will spread far and wide.

"I think the agenda for the chairman here is quite straightforward," he added. "He's done a great job.

"The club have grown in the last three or four years and we're confident we can move forward quickly.

"Whether that's buying a player from Rotherham United for a hundred grand or a player from Inter Milan for £8million, we have to buy the right ones."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lloris can fulfil Champions League dream with Spurs - Pochettino

23 April 2015

832685header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino is confident that Hugo Lloris will not leave Tottenham and that the Frenchman can achieve his UEFA Champions League objectives at White Hart Lane.

Reports have linked Lloris with a move away from Tottenham in the close-season, with Manchester United said to be monitoring his situation if David de Gea departs Old Trafford.

But head coach Pochettino expects his goalkeeper, who signed a five-year contract renewal last July, to stay put.

"Hugo wants to play the Champions League here for Tottenham," he said.

"Nothing has changed the situation. He is happy here and wants to reach the Champions League with Tottenham that is his dream."

Pochettino also reiterated that Harry Kane's involvement for England at the Under-21 European Championship later this year would be down to the player, after Football Association chairman Greg Dyke claimed the striker had signalled his willingness to feature.

"The situation hasn't changed, it's a situation for the federation [the Football Association] and for Harry," he added.

"He's a hero now for the country. When you speak about Harry, you smile. It's easy to speak about Harry.

"It's a very good thing, nothing has changed. We needed to understand that it's Harry's decision."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: I´m the best man for the job

23 April 2015

Brendan_Rodgers_3278472c.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists he is the best man to lead the club into next season, amid reports linking departing Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp with the role.

Rodgers' men saw their FA Cup hopes ended in a 2-1 semi-final defeat at Wembley last weekend, with Aston Villa turning the game around after Philippe Coutinho had put Liverpool ahead.

Liverpool are seven points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester City and the last UEFA Champions League qualifying berth in the Premier League, with Klopp's decision to leave Dortmund at the end of the season thought to have aroused the interest of a number of clubs.

"When you are at a club like Liverpool, there will be lots of names mentioned," said Rodgers. "It goes with being at a big club.

"I don't think there's anyone better [than me to manage Liverpool]. I have a strong relationship with the owners.

"This is a club with ambition, that's why we have to strive to be the best. We want to be winners.

"I'm motivated to make sure we progress and make the next step."

Rodgers takes his side to West Brom on Saturday, with Liverpool having lost three of their last five matches.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sherwood keen on permanent move for Cleverley

23 April 2015

832683header.jpg

Tim Sherwood hopes Aston Villa can come to an agreement with Manchester United to secure a permanent transfer for loanee Tom Cleverley.

The midfielder was signed by Sherwood's predecessor Paul Lambert, but struggled to make an impact at Villa Park under the Scot.

However, following Sherwood's arrival, the 25-year-old has produced performances that have convinced the Villa boss to pursue a permanent deal.

"We're certainly interested in talking to Tom when the time is right," said Sherwood.

"Tom, his representatives and Aston Villa are willing to put this on the back burner, they know how important it is to stay in the Premier League, because after all Tom wouldn't want to join a club in the Championship.

"[But] I think there's a good chance we will try and do a deal and see if it is right for both parties.

"I've been pleased with Tom, I like him, I like what he adds to the side. He has a lot of energy, [and] he links the ball very well.

"I think he can add goals to his game, but he is certainly one of the names I put on the team sheet straight away."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Koeman wants players to ignore transfer speculation

23 April 2015

832696header.jpg

Ronald Koeman has spoken to his Southampton players about the need to remain focused on securing European football in the wake of speculation linking Victor Wanyama with Arsenal.

The Kenya midfielder rejected a report that emerged earlier on Thursday that included quotes attributed to him claiming that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is keen to sign him.

Koeman has responded to the latest transfer rumours regarding one of his players by sitting down with his squad and calling for concentration levels to be high as Southampton chase a top-six finish in the Premier League.

"We had a meeting with all the players because what we need is now to have the focus on the last five games we play, a European position [is] on the table," said Koeman as he faced the media ahead of this weekend's game with Tottenham, which pits sixth versus seventh.

"We have a massive game this Saturday and no interest in rumours, in talking in press about future, about contracts, to have the focus on the football side.

"I've spoken to Victor. He says it's not true what they put in the press and I believe the player.

"But it's a good signal for everybody that we have to be focussed to the football side and not about the future, about contracts."

That Southampton are challenging for a Europa League place is huge credit to the rebuilding job that Koeman has overseen after a close-season that saw manager Mauricio Pochettino join Tottenham and a raft of key players follow him out of St Mary's Stadium.

While Koeman is understandably keen to keep avoid another talent exodus, the Dutchman is pragmatic about the likes of Wanyama being tipped to leave.

He said: "If you're doing well like we do then there is always interest in players. But still all the players have contracts for next season and until now there is no serious bid for the players.

"We will see what happens. We don't have the pressure to sell players."