• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool struggle to deal with big game pressure - Rodgers

aston-villa-liverpool-delph_1busz9m0y58z21h3yf6dfyhuau.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 20, 2015 00:21:00

The Reds were eliminated from the FA Cup semi final by Aston Villa and the coach believes his side were too nervous

Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final defeat to Aston Villa shows they are struggling to deal with the pressure that comes with playing in big games.

Philippe Coutinho opened the scoring for the Reds via a heavy deflection off Jores Okore in the first half but goals from Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph ensured that Villa booked a final date with Arsenal on May 15.

The defeat means Rodgers is the first Liverpool manager since the 1950s to go three seasons without winning a trophy, and he conceded that his side had let their emotions get the better of them.

"We were nervous for some reason," he told the BBC. "Maybe when you want to win something so much, perhaps it plays on your mind.

"Dealing with the occasion is something we need to improve at.

"There have been other big games where we have dealt with that very well, but there are others where we haven't.

"We have come close now in two competitions but failed to make the steps. Hopefully in the future we can learn that.

"I think sometimes you can want to win too much and the focus comes away from what allows you to win.

"I thought our energy was low today. Aston Villa had a good start and I felt we were too passive in the game. I had to change the system, it got us some joy, we started to control the game a little bit and then we got in front - but we didn't keep the lead long enough.

"We were too passive on the side of the field, Fabian Delph skips through way too easily and they got back into the game. Second half, we hoped to play better but we just didn't create enough today.”

Liverpool finished second in the Premier League last season and Rodgers has admitted that they are missing the intensity that turned them into title contenders.

"It was a trademark of the team last year - in the first 20 minutes of games, the intensity of our game was very high,” he added.

"Of late, that hasn't quite been the case. We just were nowhere near our level. Congratulations to Aston Villa because they played well and are through to the final. The better team won."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City & Chelsea are 20 years behind Liverpool - Rodgers

1206362_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Apr 19, 2015 08:53:00

The Northern Irishman believes that only Manchester United sit on par with the Reds, suggesting that Raheem Sterling would be taking a step down if he left Anfield

Brendan Rodgers claims that Liverpool and Manchester United are the two biggest clubs in England – and that it will take "20 years" for new-money sides like Manchester City, and even Chelsea, to catch up.

Rumours are swirling that Raheem Sterling could quit Anfield either to join either Jose Mourinho's team or Manuel Pellegrini's but Rodgers argues that such a move would represent a step down for the England international.

The Reds may only occupy fifth spot in the Premier League – and have not won the title in 25 years – but the Northern Irishman is adamant that City are incomparable to Liverpool and are instead scrapping with Chelsea and Arsenal to be the country's third-biggest club.

"I wouldn't say that this was a development ground for going to bigger clubs. If you say that Manchester City is a bigger club than Liverpool, you're wrong," Rodgers told reporters ahead of an FA Cup semi-final showdown with Aston Villa.

"At this moment in time, Manchester City are on a great project. They're a wonderful club, I've seen it for myself a few years ago when I spoke with them. I've got big respect for what they're doing there.

"They're trying to build it the right way and hopefully they'll get young players through at this Sport City, all of that, but, at this moment in time, you can't compare as a club the size of the two.

"You've got Liverpool and Manchester United, the two biggest clubs in this country, and the rest of them are fighting to be there over the next 20 years."

Liverpool have won the league title on 18 occasions, as well as lifting the Champions League – or European Cup – five times, whereas City have one Cup Winners' Cup and four top-flight titles, two of those coming in the last four years.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea starlet wins Championship Player of the Year

patrick-bamford-fa-cup-manchester-city-v-middlesbrough-240115_llrfldvbqhqb1sv06gbmlh9u2.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 20, 2015 00:32:00

Patrick Bamfor, 21, beat Daryl Murphy and Troy Deeney to the award after a prolific campaign with Middlesbrough while Tottenham loanee Delle Alli won Young Player of the Year

Chelsea starlet Patrick Bamford has won the Championship Player of the Year award after a series of superb displays during his loan spell at Middlesbrough.

The 21-year-old, who is yet to make his first-team debut for the Blues, has helped guide Aitor Karanka's promotion-chasing Boro to third in the table, scoring 17 goals in 36 league appearances.

Bamford’s Chelsea future remains uncertain, given the attacking riches at Jose Mourinho’s disposal, but he beat Ipswich Town’s Daryl Murphy and Watford’s Troy Deeney to the prize on Sunday evening.

Elsewhere, another Premier League loanee won the Football League Young Player of the Year prize, with Dele Alli beating Bamford and Nathan Redmond to the gong.

The 19-year-old joined Tottenham in January but was immediately loaned back to MK Dons, where he has scored 15 goals and provided five assists to help the club to third in League One, a point behind second-placed Preston North End.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carver: Newcastle are in relegation battle

20 April 2015 02:17

830852header.jpg

John Carver admitted Newcastle United have been drawn into the relegation battle, after their sixth straight defeat.

Newcastle were as high as seventh in the Premier League table in December, having chalked up early-season wins over Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea.

That purple patch was preceded by a seven-match winless run to start the campaign, which began under Alan Pardew before he departed the club in January.

Under Carver's interim leadership, Newcastle have picked up just nine points in 14 matches - their latest outing saw the club's fans boycott their home 3-1 loss to Spurs on Sunday.

The defeat left them just seven points above the drop zone with five games to play.

"Absolutely, we are in amongst it," said Carver, referring to the relegation struggle.

"You have sides - and I will use Leicester as an example - winning games. But we aren't.

"We have to try to find a way of finding points."

Carver suggested Newcastle might sacrifice style for points in the run-in, with fixtures against Swansea City, Leicester City (away), West Brom, QPR (away) and West Ham.

"We have to come up with a solution," the 50-year-old said.

"I have to find a method of trying to play that might not be pretty on the eye. I need to find a way of getting some results."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle in a ´dangerous moment´ - Colback

20 April 2015 07:22

830886header.jpg

Newcastle United midfielder Jack Colback warned his team-mates to be prepared for a relegation fight if they do not improve their Premier League form.

Newcastle crashed to a sixth consecutive league defeat after losing 3-1 at home to Tottenham on Sunday, a result that left the club hovering just seven points above the relegation zone with five matches remaining.

Colback was the only shining light in an otherwise disappointing fixture for Newcastle, scoring a 46th-minute equaliser before Tottenham netted two unanswered goals.

And the 25-year-old said his team-mates have nowhere to hide as they look to avoid the drop.

"I think it's just bitter really [scoring in Newcastle's loss]. There hasn't been much sweetness for the past six games and it is a difficult period. But there's no hiding place," Colback told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"You have to come out as a player and show what you can do. There is nothing I can say that will help the fans.

"As players we are the only ones who can change it. We have to win a game as quickly as possible."

Colback added: "If we are not careful we will get dragged into it. It is a dangerous moment, we would be naive to think that we are out of it just yet. I think one win would do it.

"We need to get it as soon as possible, and then get a few more. Then finish the season on a bit more of a positive note and kick on next season."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale selected in Football League Team of the Decade

20 April 2015 11:14

830970header.jpg

Real Madrid attacker Gareth Bale has been named in the Football League's Team of the Decade - as a defender.

The Wales international was recognised for his two seasons in the Championship with Southampton, where he spent the early part of his career as a left-back before moving on to Tottenham.

Bale was joined in the XI, which took into account the 10 years from 2005 to 2015, by a host of Premier League players, with Swansea City duo Ashley Williams and Angel Rangel joining Bale and Leicester City defender Wes Morgan in the back four.

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana headlined the midfield as a result of his outstanding performances for Southampton, with Wes Hoolahan of Norwich City and Cardiff City's Peter Whittingham also selected.

The forward line featured Rickie Lambert, who worked his way through the divisions before joining Liverpool for the 2014-15 campaign, as well as Glenn Murray, currently of Crystal Palace, and Blackburn Rovers' Jordan Rhodes.

Eddie Howe was selected as manager of the team, while Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel was chosen between the posts.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Final appearance can remove negativity at Villa - Fox

20 April 2015 11:36

830990header.jpg

After a difficult season on and off the field, Aston Villa chief executive Tom Fox believes an FA Cup final appearance will bring a new air of positivity to the club.

Villa have toiled in the Premier League for large parts of the season, although the arrival of Tim Sherwood in February has seen them move four points clear of danger.

Owner Randy Lerner's desire to sell the club has been well publicised, but Sunday's 2-1 semi-final victory over Liverpool at Wembley saw Villa into a first FA Cup final in 15 years - with holders Arsenal their opponents on May 30.

"This is something which can create a positive atmosphere and blows through the negativity and clears it out," Fox said.

"I hope it is the beginning of something great. If we play the way we played on Sunday I think we'll have a chance.

"Here we are heading into a final with another great club. That's the company Villa needs to keep and hopefully where we can put the club.

"We have a lot of work to do, I have been very honest about that. We have a lot of work to do to put the club back into a place where this is a thing we can do on a much more regular basis."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No broken cheekbone for Silva

20 April 2015 11:40

830989header.jpg

Manchester City midfielder David Silva did not suffer a fractured cheekbone when he was elbowed in the face in Sunday's 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham.

Manuel Pellegrini's men cruised to victory at the Etihad Stadium courtesy of a James Collins own goal and a Sergio Aguero strike.

But the win was soured by the blow to Silva, who was caught in the side of the head by West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate in the 67th minute and taken off on a stretcher following lengthy treatment.

Pellegrini confirmed after the game that the Spain international had been taken to hospital for assessment on a possible broken cheekbone, but City have since confirmed that tests showed no fracture.

The club added that Silva would be closely monitored ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash with Aston Villa.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Striking concerns for Chelsea after Drogba injury

20 April 2015 16:07

831112header.jpg

Didier Drogba's ankle injury could mean Chelsea are forced to take on Arsenal on Sunday without a fit forward.

The Ivorian has been leading the line in Diego Costa's absence, after Chelsea's top scorer pulled up in the recent 2-1 win over Stoke City with a hamstring problem.

Loic Remy scored the winner in that game for the Premier League leaders, but he too has missed the last two matches with a calf injury.

Drogba had been due to play in a charity match on Monday, joining the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo in a game which will see the proceeds go to help those countries affected by the Ebola virus.

However, Drogba tweeted to say he had been forced to pull out because of an ankle problem, which could give Jose Mourinho a serious selection headache ahead of Sunday's meeting of first v second in the league at the Emirates Stadium.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez sad to see Gerrard leaving Liverpool

20 April 2015 17:54

831161header.jpg

Barcelona forward Luis Suarez says it makes him sad to think of former team-mate Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool.

At the end of this season, Gerrard will depart Anfield and head to LA Galaxy in MLS, thus ending a 17-year playing career with his boyhood club.

The midfielder's last chance to sign off with a trophy disappeared with Sunday's 2-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat to Aston Villa and Suarez, who spent three-and-a-half years at Liverpool with Gerrard, was full of praise for his ex-colleague.

"I try to watch all the Liverpool games. They have really good players," he said.

"It's sad when I hear Stevie is leaving because for me he's an amazing player, and when I was at Liverpool they knew my dream was to play for Barcelona."

Suarez was speaking ahead of Tuesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg with Paris Saint-Germain at Camp Nou, with Barca leading 3-1 thanks in part to a pair of superb Suarez goals in the French capital.

"We know that the result we got last week is good but in this type of game is not definite, especially against such a strong rival as PSG," he said.

"I think the easiest thing to think is that this tie is over, but it's not, we know they have players with a lot of quality, and they can tilt the tie in their favour.

"So we have to approach the match the way we did last week with the same intensity and as events unfold in the match we'll have to deal with them."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shepherd urges fans not to boycott Newcastle

21 April 2015 00:24

831367header.jpg

Newcastle United are enduring a tumultuous period both on and off the pitch with relegation from the Premier League a real possibility, which has led to former chairman Freddy Shepherd issuing a rallying cry to supporters.

Newcastle are in the midst of a six-game losing streak and hover just seven points above the drop zone following Sunday's 3-1 home loss to Tottenham.

Off the pitch, fans protested Mike Ashley's ownership of Newcastle outside St James' Park prior to kick-off over the weekend, which resulted in the club's lowest attendance of the season.

There are expected to be more protests before the end of the campaign, with supporters fed up with Ashley, but Shepherd, who left the club in 2007, called for fans not to boycott the team.

"I'm really worried but I think a boycott's not going to be the answer. I don't think it helps anybody," Shepherd told Sky Sports News HQ.

"We need to get behind John Carver and the team. Doing a boycott isn't going to help that team.

"They're lacking confidence and they need every supporter behind them."

Fans want to see Ashley invest in better players, having recouped substantial profits following the sales of Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, without reinvesting the money adequately.

But Shepherd believes there will be significant changes next term.

"He'll [Ashley] not want his assets to depreciate, so I'm confident he's going to come out in the summer and spend some money and get some players in," Shepherd added.

"Mike Ashley's a very clever guy. There's no doubt about it - he's a great businessman, so he knows what he's doing."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard among best three in the world - Mourinho

20 April 2015 02:18

830851header.jpg

Chelsea star Eden Hazard is among the best three players in the world, according to manager Jose Mourinho.

The Belgium international has been nominated for the PFA Player of the Year Award after a fine Premier League campaign.

Hazard, 24, was the hero as Chelsea extended their lead at the top to 10 points after he scored the winner in his side's 1-0 victory over Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Mourinho had lauded his attacking midfielder in the lead-up, and he went further after the game by labelling him one of the world's best.

"He's a kid, but he is also a family man and he knows he is one of the three best players in the world, responsibility comes with that and he is coping with that responsibility," he said.

"If people want to be fair, he gets that award [Player of the Year]. But the award I want him to win is the Premier League.

"I've had lots of stars, but he's the humble star. He's a great kid.

"Physically, mentally he's getting very, very strong. He understands his role. He understands his talent is fundamental for the team."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vlaar open to Villa stay

21 April 2015 00:46

831368header.jpg

Aston Villa defender Ron Vlaar said it is possible he could stay at the club once his contract expires, thanks to new manager Tim Sherwood.

Vlaar's departure at the end of the season seemed a forgone conclusion for most of the 2014-15 campaign, with countryman and Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal reportedly interested in bringing the veteran centre-back to Old Trafford on a free transfer.

But the axing of former manager Paul Lambert in February and the arrival of Sherwood, who steered Villa to the FA Cup final at the expense of Liverpool on Sunday, has the 30-year-old Dutch centre-back reconsidering his options.

"It is [possible I could stay]. Things have changed for me in the past few months since Sherwood took over," Vlaar said.

"It's been a hard season for me with all the injuries. Now I just want to play and be important for the team. Reaching the final helps – you can trust me on that.

"It [moving clubs] is not something to think about right now. This feels really great and I also feel things have changed at the club. It wasn't so good earlier in the year but that's football. Things change. A new manager came in, we all felt it was a new start.

"We started to play better, the results got better. And the only thing that gives you confidence is winning games, so this win will give us another massive boost. The team spirit is really good."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle just need three more points - Janmaat

21 April 2015 09:37

831426header.jpg

Daryl Janmaat is confident one win will be enough for Newcastle United to avoid relegation, but the full-back is worried they are running out of time.

Newcastle have lost six consecutive matches in the Premier League, the latest setback coming in Sunday's 3-1 defeat at home to Tottenham, when some fans boycotted.

With five games remaining, they sit seven points clear of a resurgent Leicester City side - who are 17th - ahead of Saturday's match against Swansea City.

"We have to stay positive and keep believing," Janmaat told the Evening Chronicle.

"It's not good. We have to win the minimum of one game.

"There are five games left and we must win one. I believe we can do it. We can't just say it – we have to do it now.

"Now is the moment. Leicester are winning games so we have to stop talking and go out and do it."

Janmaat, who joined Newcastle from Feyenoord in July, came off the bench in Netherlands' World Cup semi-final loss to Argentina last year, but the 25-year-old reckons the upcoming clash with Swansea could rival that occasion.

"It's a big game," he said. "I have played in the semi-finals of the World Cup, that was big but this is close for me.

"We have to win it. We are staying focused.

"Taking three points will be enough to be safe at the moment. That is our only focus."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jenkinson: West Ham will not settle for mid-table

21 April 2015 10:48

831438header.jpg

West Ham are determined to turn their poor second half of the Premier League season around and finish with a flourish, says Carl Jenkinson.

Sam Allardyce's side enjoyed a remarkable start to the campaign, sitting as high as fourth after 17 matches to spark talk of qualifying for Europe.

But the subsequent 16 games have yielded only 12 points to leave West Ham 10th ahead of Saturday's trip to relegation-threatened London rivals QPR.

"Our dressing room is fired up," Jenkinson, on loan from Arsenal, told West Ham's official website. "If you go in the dressing room after the game people aren't resting on their laurels, people aren't happy finishing mid-table.

"We want to kick on, we've got things to prove because we've been on a bad run recently and we want to put that right for us and the fans.

"We want to finish as high up the league table as possible. After the start we had we're not just going to accept a mid-table finish."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Opportunity knocks as Dyche plans for Barnes absence

21 April 2015 12:06

831459header.jpg

Sean Dyche has challenged his fringe players to step up and help fire Burnley to safety in the Premier League in the absence of Ashley Barnes.

The forward will serve a one-match ban after receiving two yellow cards in Saturday's defeat against Everton, presenting an opportunity for someone to stake a claim in the first team when Burnley face resurgent Leicester City this weekend.

Ross Wallace, Michael Kightly or Matt Taylor are all possible replacements for Barnes, with Dyche hoping whoever comes in has a positive impact after Burnley slumped to the foot of the table.

"It gives someone else another opportunity to lay a marker down and affect a game of football for us," he told the Lancashire Telegraph. "That will be a positive for whoever we decide to play.

"You saw the way the players played on Saturday, there's never been a lack of belief, there's never been a lack of organisation or physical energy.

"They'll be ready to go."

The loss at Goodison Park left Burnley with just one victory from their last 12 Premier League games and Saturday's visit of Leicester, who have won three on the bounce, is their penultimate home game of the campaign.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sanchez ´surprised´ by Arsenal quality

21 April 2015 18:08

831625header.jpg

Alexis Sanchez has admitted he was surprised by the standards at Arsenal when he first arrived from Barcelona, with the Chilean particularly effusive about the ability of Santi Cazorla.

Sanchez moved to the Premier League last August and has enjoyed a superb debut campaign in England, scoring 22 goals in all competitions.

"When I arrived at the club I didn't know the players that well, but I was really surprised by everyone's quality," the 26-year-old told the club's official website.

"I am not saying this just because it's my obligation to do it. Every Arsenal footballer has amazing quality. Being part of a team like this makes me very proud. I am willing to win many titles here.

"Santi Cazorla is a spectacular player. You never know whether he will kick the ball with his right or left foot. Also, he moves with short but quick strides, which is a remarkable trademark too.

"Although I knew about his quality, playing alongside him makes me very happy."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Silva returns to training after cheekbone scare

21 April 2015 13:56

831498header.jpg

Manchester City forward David Silva has returned to training after avoiding any serious damage during Sunday's 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham.

The Spain international was substituted in the second half and taken to hospital after Cheikhou Kouyate caught him on the side of the head with an elbow.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini later confirmed that City feared a broken cheekbone for the 29-year-old, but scans showed no fracture and he was able to take part in training on Tuesday.

Kouyate, who was booked following the incident, took to Twitter to apologise: "I would like to say to [Silva] that I am very sorry that you were injured during the match on Sunday, but it was not my intention.

"I went for the ball and my eyes were on the ball. I always play the ball and never the player. You are a great guy and a great player and I hope you are back on the field very soon."

City welcome FA Cup finalists Aston Villa to the Etihad Stadium on Saturday and Pellegrini will continue to monitor Silva's fitness in the hope he is available.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Smalling signs new four-year Manchester United deal

936582_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
21 Apr 2015 15:00:00

The central defender has penned a new deal until 2019 after a run of fine form, and Louis van Gaal has hailed the 25-year-old as an "integral" part of his squad

Manchester United have confirmed that defender Chris Smalling has signed a new deal that ties him to the club until 2019.

The central defender has become a key player under Louis van Gaal in 2014-15, making 24 appearances in all competitions as United have chased Champions League qualification.

And he has now been rewarded for his fine form - he has also scored four goals - with a new deal, and Van Gaal has hailed the "integral" 25-year-old.

"Chris has improved and developed immensely during my time at the club, becoming an integral part of the first-team squad," the Dutchman told the club's official website.

CDHupXOXIAAZ_5r.jpg

BREAKING: @ChrisSmalling has signed a new contract at #mufc which keeps him at the club until at least June 2019. pic.twitter.com/mlNYkHrb3v
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) April 21, 2015

Smalling also expressed his pride at committing his future to the club, and has vowed to do all he can to help return United to the top of the Premier League.

"I’m delighted to sign my new contract," he said. "I am so proud to play for such a great club. We have developed as a team over the course of the season under Louis van Gaal and we are now playing as a complete unit.

"This is a very exciting time to be at Manchester United, we are all determined to get back to where we belong and competing at the highest level."

Smalling joined United from Fulham in 2010 and has since made 147 appearances, winning two Premier League titles in the process.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Title a step too far for United, says Evans

21 April 2015 16:29

831569header.jpg

Jonny Evans believes Manchester United have missed their chance to lift the Premier League title this season after last weekend's defeat to Chelsea.

United are 11 points adrift of the leaders with five games to go following the 1-0 loss at Stamford Bridge and the Northern Ireland international thinks catching Jose Mourinho's side is a step too far.

The Chelsea reverse was the final game of Evans' six-match ban for spitting at Newcastle United's Papiss Cisse in March and he is expected to return against Everton on Saturday.

"Obviously, winning the league has probably gone, but there is still pressure at Manchester United," he told MUTV. "I think the lads have been thriving on that over the last couple of months.

"I think it'll be good to end the season with a big challenge for us, but it's one I like to think we're up to.

"We've always believed and he [Louis van Gaal] has always believed in us. There are five games to go in the season and we've got to make sure we carry those standards on.

"We've been used to that over the years, having pressure, and, this time, it's to qualify for the Champions League."