• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal not convinced by Herrera decision

18 April 2015

louisvangaalcropped_1xnlnmb1eqs851i2ztq6abp1ly.jpg

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United produced their best performance of the season in a 1-0 defeat at Chelsea and hinted that he felt they should have been awarded a last-gasp penalty.

Eden Hazard's 18th goal of the season moved Chelsea 10 points clear at the top of the Premier League as United missed a chance to go above Arsenal into second place.

Chelsea were not at their best, but United failed to capitalise as Wayne Rooney put a great early chance into the side-netting and the recalled Radamel Falcao struck the woodwork late on.

There was drama deep into stoppage time, when Herrera went down in the area claiming Gary Cahill had upended him, but referee Mike Dean booked the Spain midfielder for simulation.

Van Gaal took great heart from his side's display and appeared to question Dean's decision not to point to the spot right at the death.

He is quoted as saying by BBC Sport: "I am not frustrated, I am proud. Why should I be frustrated? We played the best match of the season.

"In my opinion that is the main decision of the referee [when Herrera was booked]. Maybe you can watch the replays on television."

United remain on course to secure a UEFA Champions League spot with five games remaining, despite seeing their six-game winning league run come to an end in the capital.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Toure is City´s scapegoat - agent

19 April 2015

830281header.jpg

Manchester City should stop toying with the future of midfielder Yaya Toure, the Ivorian's agent said.

Toure has been touted as one of the problems in City's faltering Premier League season, with Manuel Pellegrini's side 15 points behind leaders Chelsea.

City have slipped to fourth with three losses in their past four, and are not even assured of holding the UEFA Champions League play-off spot - with Liverpool lurking four points behind.

Toure's agent Dimitri Seluk slammed City's handling of the 31-year-old.

"If City want Yaya to leave then they should come out and say so," Seluk told the Sunday Mirror Sport.

"Two of the biggest clubs have already asked me if he is available and I know that if City said they will sell, then another 10 would call me inside 24 hours.

"And if City are worried about money then, they can keep their money in their wallet, because I know that other teams will pay Yaya what he earns now."

Toure has scored eight goals in 24 league appearances in 2014-15, but Seluk pointed out the former Barcelona man's hiatus in January due to the African Cup of Nations - which coincided with a four-match winless run for the Eastlands outfit - pointed to Toure not being at fault for City's struggles.

"Some people at City are trying to blame Yaya for what has happened this season," Seluk continued.

"But those people aren't taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

"I am talking about executives who have bought players for a lot of money - and then put those players on the bench.

"I am talking about executives who spend a lot of money on Stevan Jovetic and then drop him from the Champions League squad.

"I feel sorry for Pellegrini. He is a good coach, but a weak manager.

"He won the title with the team left behind by Roberto Mancini.

"It seems the answer for everything at City is to blame Yaya."

Pellegrini defended Toure on Saturday, claiming he is a "very important player" ahead of their hosting of West Ham on Sunday.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool much bigger than City - Rodgers

19 April 2015

830311header.jpg

Manager Brendan Rodgers believes Manchester City do not compare to the stature of Liverpool and will need 20 years to be as big.

Star attacker Raheem Sterling has been linked with a move to City, among other clubs, as his contract saga continues.

But Rodgers rejected suggestions a move to City for the 20-year-old Sterling would be the England international heading to a bigger club.

The Northern Irishman said the four-time league champions were a long way off being as big as Liverpool.

"I wouldn't say that Anfield is a development ground for going to bigger clubs. If you say that Manchester City is a bigger club than Liverpool, you're wrong," Rodgers said.

"At this moment in time Manchester City are on a great project. They're a wonderful club, I've seen it for myself a few years ago when I spoke with them.

"I've got big respect for what they're doing there. They're trying to build it the right way, but at this moment in time you can't compare them to us.

"You've got Liverpool and Manchester United as the two biggest clubs in this country - the rest of them are fighting to be there over the next 20 years."

Rodgers' side face Aston Villa in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Sunday, with the winners to play Arsenal in the decider.

Captain Steven Gerrard is available after his suspension, but Rodgers was unwilling to say whether the veteran midfielder would start.

'Everyone respects that I always want to do what is best for the team, the collective, and always will," he said.

"Status and star quality has never bothered me really."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hazard issues Chelsea warning

19 April 2015

830346header.jpg

Eden Hazard knows Chelsea are "close" to winning the Premier League title but warned they cannot afford to be complacent despite being 10 points clear at the top of the table.

Hazard's 18th goal of the season secured a 1-0 victory over previously in-form Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Saturday to move Chelsea another giant stride closer to being crowned champions for the first time in five years.

There would appear to be no stopping the London club, who know a positive result against Arsenal next weekend would leave them just one win from the title.

Winger Hazard is taking nothing for granted despite the strong position Chelsea find themselves in.

He told Chelsea TV: "When you win this game it is very important for the rest of the season,

"It is always good to win against Manchester United at Stamford Bridge and we are close to finishing the season and winning the trophy but it has not finished, we have to win two or three more games.

"It is close but it is not finished and when you play in the Premier League it is very difficult, and you never know in football."

He added: "It is always good when you score at Stamford Bridge, and against Man United it is very good when the goal gives three points for the team,

"It is my job. I try to score, I try to make assists and to create something for the team and in this game I did it very well, but we realise it is not finished."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dyche: Burnley are too honest

19 April 2015

830361header.jpg

Burnley manager Sean Dyche lamented the lack of decisions which go his side's way, and believes it stems from a reluctance to hassle the match officials.

Dyche watched on as 10-man Burnley went down 1-0 to Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday, a defeat which saw them drop to the foot of the Premier League table.

Kevin Mirallas' 29th-minute goal proved the difference, although the Belgium international was fortunate to receive only a booking for a high challenge on George Boyd early in the second half.

"I don't feel we're being punished, I'm just confused as to where it stands," Dyche said.

"I don't think fans, from what I can gather, want players to be surrounding the referee.

"We don't do it - maybe we should, because other teams definitely would with the Mirallas tackle.

"We attempt to not simulate, who knows because there might be an incident in the future but I haven't seen too many since I've been here.

"We attempt not to row with the referee, it's very difficult sometimes, but they don't get involved.

"Where does it live? You do it right, you get nothing. You do it wrong, you get something. It's the wrong way round.

"But I think referees do need help from the powers that be, so retrospectively actions can be taken."

Burnley were reduced to 10 men just before the break when Ashley Barnes was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Seamus Coleman.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes: I had to fight to keep Rooney at United

19 April 2015

830386header.jpg

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes has spoken of his fight to prevent Wayne Rooney from joining Chelsea during his time at Old Trafford.

Moyes moved to the 13-time Premier League champions from Everton at the start of the 2013-14 season, but failed to live up to the high standards set by his predecessor Alex Ferguson.

After just 10 months in charge, Moyes departed Old Trafford and has since taken the reigns at La Liga outfit Real Sociedad.

Chelsea's interest in signing Rooney was well publicised, but Moyes has revealed his part in ensuring the England captain remained at United.

"Chelsea were close to taking him," Moyes told the Sunday Times.

"Jose [Mourinho] was interested but we wouldn't do any business. I had to fight to make sure he stayed - and was at the heart, again, of what Manchester United were going to be moving forward."

Moyes gave Rooney his senior debut while at Everton, but felt he needed to revitalise the striker once they were reunited at Old Trafford.

"I felt he'd lost a bit of his fight," Moyes said.

"The thing about Wayne was he was always a fighter; he's a technically terrific footballer, can do anything with the ball, but behind it he's a tough boy, a street fighter in his football, and I felt he'd lost a bit of that.

"I think he agreed and probably thought, 'Wait a minute, I have to go back to being a bit more aggressive, a bit more myself."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Crouch set for surgery

19 April 2015

830428header.jpg

Mark Hughes has confirmed that Stoke City striker Peter Crouch is set to undergo a groin operation at the end of the season.

The former England international has not started a game for almost a month, but came off the bench as Stoke fought back to beat Southampton 2-1 in the Premier League on Saturday.

Stoke manager Hughes was impressed with the impact the much-travelled forward made in his cameo appearance and is taking a cautious approach with the 34-year-old, given that he is not fully fit.

The Welshman said: "Peter's been struggling with groin injury, likelihood is that he will have an operation at the end of the season.

"We're just trying to manage him through games, so 20-25 minutes is probably the max that he can be effective, he came on and certainly was."

Charlie Adam completed Stoke's fightback with a winner six minutes from time at the Britannia Stadium as Southampton missed a chance to go fifth.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fer closes in on QPR return

19 April 2015

830464header.jpg

QPR midfielder Leroy Fer is targeting a return from a frustrating two-month injury lay-off against West Ham next weekend.

The Netherlands international was on target as QPR won 2-0 at Sunderland on February 10, but was replaced with 15 minutes remaining in that encounter after picking up a knee injury.

Chris Ramsey's men are two points adrift of safety with just five matches remaining and Fer is desperate to be involved in the remainder of QPR's Premier League run-in.

"I hope to be 100 per cent ready for the West Ham game," Fer told QPR's official website.

"I have already been doing some training with the first team, and I hope to be training fully with the group from Monday.

"West Ham is my target and I hope to be involved. I don't want to say how many minutes I will be able to play if I am involved, but I will try to do everything I can until I can't anymore.

"With just five games to go, I just want to throw everything into these games.

"It has been really frustrating to watch from the sidelines. We have played really well but only picked up four points in the games I have missed. You really want to be able to help the team, so it's been hard."

Fer has made 24 Premier League appearances since moving to Loftus Road from Norwich City in August, scoring four goals.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Silva back home after Kouyate elbow

19 April 2015

830617header.jpg

Manchester City attacking midfielder David Silva is back at home after revealing that all tests on his injury sustained in Sunday's 2-0 win over West Ham have been positive.

Manuel Pellegrini's men eased to victory at the Etihad Stadium thanks to a bizarre James Collins own goal and Sergio Aguero's strike.

But their triumph was marred by the blow to Silva, who was caught in the side of the head by an elbow from West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate in the 67th minute and taken off on a stretcher following lengthy treatment.

Pellegrini confirmed after the game that Silva had been taken to hospital for assessment on a possible broken cheekbone.

But Silva posted on Twitter: "Many thanks to all the messages of support, all the tests have gone well and I'm already home.The 3 points is what was important!"

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City 2 West Ham 0: Silva injury sours routine win

19 April 2015

830490header.jpg

David Silva's head injury overshadowed Manchester City's comfortable 2-0 Premier League win over West Ham as the hosts eased the pressure on Manuel Pellegrini.

Pellegrini admitted ahead of the game at the Etihad Stadium that he could be sacked if City fail to finish in the top four, with the reigning champions having lost four of their previous six top-flight matches.

Despite the absence of the likes of Vincent Kompany and James Milner through injury, City were able to see off an ineffective West Ham side and move seven points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool, who do have a game in hand.

A bizarre 18th-minute own goal from James Collins put City ahead before Sergio Aguero doubled the lead with his 20th league goal of the campaign.

West Ham never threatened a fightback, but a routine victory was soured when Silva was caught by an elbow from Cheikhou Kouyate midway through the second half, with the Senegalese earning a booking.

The former Valencia midfielder received lengthy treatment from the City medical team before being taken off on a stretcher.

City had the better of the opening stages as West Ham struggled to retain possession and, after Alexander Kolarov had gone close with a curling free-kick, the hosts took the lead through a huge stroke of fortune after 18 minutes.

Jesus Navas picked up the ball on the right wing following a poor goal kick from Adrian and the Spain international's cross was inadvertently turned home by Collins, whose attempted clearance looped over the West Ham goalkeeper and in off the underside of the crossbar.

Collins did somewhat atone for that error as he produced a goal-saving tackle to prevent Silva from adding a second at the end of a well-worked City move.

West Ham grew into the game and provided a sporadic attacking threat, yet they were given a mountain to climb when Aguero finished off a sparkling counter in the 36th minute.

Yaya Toure won the ball in midfield and set Aguero free, the Argentina striker then rounding off the attack with a clever low finish under Adrian after combining brilliantly with Navas.

Only an excellent last-ditch Carl Jenkinson tackle stopped Aguero from converting Toure's sublime reverse pass in the 49th minute as City continued to dominate after the restart.

Aguero spent a short time on the sidelines after seemingly picking up a knock in that tackle.

While Aguero recovered to make his way back onto the field, Silva was not so fortunate, the Spaniard receiving seven minutes of treatment on the field.

West Ham showed some positive intent in the time that remained, Enner Valencia and Kevin Nolan both spurning chances to pull one back late on.

It is now one win in 11 league games for the visitors, while the attentions of a doubtlessly relieved Pellegrini will surely turn to the stricken Silva.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle United 1 Tottenham 3: Losing streak continues amid fan boycott

19 April 2015

830576header.jpg

Newcastle United failed to halt their dismal run of Premier League form on Sunday as they were beaten 3-1 by Tottenham at a sparse St James' Park.

Some supporters boycotted the game in protest at the running of the club and a perceived lack of ambition from the board.

And for those who were in attendance, there was little cause for cheer as goals from Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane eclipsed Jack Colback's effort to inflict a sixth consecutive defeat on the hosts.

Chadli gave Mauricio Pochettino's side a half-time lead with a long-range strike 29 minutes in, though Tim Krul might have been able to do more to keep it out.

However, as in the reverse fixture, Newcastle equalised early in the second half - Colback restoring parity 18 seconds after the restart.

If there was any doubt about Krul's role in Spurs' first goal, there was nowhere for the goalkeeper to hide with the second, as Eriksen's 53rd-minute free-kick eluded the Dutchman's grasp and found the back of the net.

Kane's 20th league goal of the campaign added to John Carver's woes, with Newcastle remaining seven points clear of the relegation zone, while Spurs move above Southampton into sixth.

Skipper Fabricio Coloccini returned from suspension and was required to snuff out an early Kane opportunity in a low-key opening 10 minutes on Tyneside.

Ayoze Perez had the first effort on target, side-footing a Yoan Gouffran cross at Michel Vorm, as Spurs initially struggled to convert their possession into clear-cut chances.

However, when Gouffran carelessly lost possession in midfield, Chadli made the most of the time and space afforded to him to fire past Krul and further dampen an already muted atmosphere.

Newcastle demonstrated a stark lack of attacking invention in the first half, but Carver introduced Sammy Ameobi and Gabriel Obertan at the break and the reshuffle paid dividends almost immediately when Colback levelled.

After Perez's perseverance, Daryl Janmaat saw a shot blocked before Colback steered home the loose ball inside a minute of the second half.

It was only Newcastle's second Premier League goal in six outings, but Newcastle quickly fell behind again when Krul failed to deal with Eriksen's curled delivery.

The Dane's free-kick evaded a host of Spurs players as well as the Newcastle goalkeeper to restore the visitors' advantage, before Nabil Bentaleb came close to heading home a third - grazing the roof of the net following Chadli's cross.

Krul atoned for his error by keeping out Kane's point-blank header, only to be beaten by the England striker's one-on-one finish in stoppage time to complete a miserable day for the hosts.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carver counting on experience after latest defeat

19 April 2015

830616header.jpg

John Carver feels Newcastle United's experienced players can help lift the gloom around the club after suffering a sixth consecutive Premier League defeat against Tottenham.

Carver saw his side fall to a 3-1 defeat at a sparse St James' Park as fans of the club protested at a perceived lack of ambition from owner Mike Ashley.

Goals from Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane did the damage with the danger of relegation remaining for Carver and his side.

"I thought everyone was tentative at the start," he told Sky Sports.

"These guys keep having a go but sometimes they might just not be good enough. It's about me finding a way to win games by getting two strikers on.

"I was positive and we tried to get attacking players on the pitch. It's a huge kick in the teeth, having fought our way back into the game. It's disappointing.

"We've got enough experience in the dressing room, we need a solution and hopefully I can find that.

"The fact we kept going and had fight in us [is a positive]. Losing another game isn't a great feeling but we have enough experience and that will keep me going.

"Hopefully we can pull one or two of the younger players through and get over the line. You've got to try take care of your own business."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini hails City response to derby defeat

19 April 2015

830533header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini was quick to praise Manchester City's response to their derby day loss to Manchester United after they beat West Ham 2-0 in the Premier League.

Pellegrini and his players had been heavily criticised in recent weeks for a run of six defeats in their previous eight games that included a 4-2 reverse to United at Old Trafford last weekend and has seen them drop out of contention for the title.

But City produced a much improved performance at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday to see off West Ham with an 18th-minute James Collins own goal and Sergio Aguero's effort in the 36th minute.

The victory was however soured by a facial injury to David Silva, suffered after 67 minutes when he was caught by an elbow from Cheikhou Kouyate.

"It was very important for our team to win because we had come from two defeats in a row and when one of those defeats is a derby it's worse," Pellegrini said.

"It was very important to try to be a consistent team and I think that we played - especially the first 65 minutes until the injury to David - as a consistent team."

"I think that we played a whole game."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kouyate elbow on Silva accidental - Allardyce

19 April 2015

830542header.jpg

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has described Cheikhou Kouyate's elbow on Manchester City's David Silva as "accidental".

Silva was taken off on a stretcher after being caught by Kouyate in the 67th minute of West Ham's 2-0 defeat to City on Sunday and receiving several minutes of treatment.

Kouyate was booked for the incident, with City boss Pellegrini since confirming that Silva has been taken to hospital.

But Allardyce said: "It's accidental, it looked pretty innocuous to me I didn't even think it was a foul. I've just had a look now, it doesn't look deliberate at all to me.

"He [Kouyate] has no idea because it's happened from behind him, he doesn't even think that he's done anything."

The points had been all-but settled by the time Silva went off. An 18th-minute James Collins own goal giving City the lead, which was doubled by Sergio Aguero after Stewart Downing lost the ball in midfield.

Asked about his side's performance, Allardyce added: "I think the disappointing thing in the first half was the goals were gifted to Manchester City and the second thing was the amount of possession we allowed ourselves to lose.

"The two mistakes we made for the goal - one was pretty bizarre and the other one was unexpected from a player as experienced as Stewart Downing.

"Second half, eventually changing the system got us back to playing better going forward and when we create two chances as good as Enner Valencia's and Kevin Nolan's then we've got to convert them."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Title almost secured after United win

josemourinho-cropped_jxw1wn4obie313gbi3s53atp5.jpg

Peter Thompson
Apr 19, 2015 01:00:00

The coach feels he got his tactics spot on as his side beat Manchester United to go 10 points clear at the top of the league

Jose Mourinho believes Chelsea are "almost there" in their bid to win the Premier League title and felt his gameplan worked to perfection in a 1-0 victory over Manchester United.

Eden Hazard's 18th goal of the season in the first half in West London ensured Chelsea moved 10 points clear of Arsenal at the top of the table with six games remaining.

The runaway leaders were not at their best, but Hazard's strike ensured a positive result against Arsenal next weekend would leave them just one win from the title and Chelsea's Portuguese manager was able to reflect on another job well done.

He told the BBC: "Six games to play, three at home three away. Every game is difficult, every team needs points. But our situation is very good.

"It was difficult but not as much as you think. We prepared for the game to be like this. It was the game we wanted and expected. Control their direct football to Marouane Fellaini and control the wingers from making crosses on the inside foot.

"When we know Wayne Rooney plays in midfield we control his progression into the box. Control set-pieces and don't give away direct free-kicks as they have three specialists. Wait for a mistake and score a goal.

"It was what we wanted it to be. We are happy because the work we did in the week was what happened here.

"I feel we are almost there but there are no almosts in football. We need eight points to be champions. It is pure mathematics."

Mourinho was puzzled that United goalkeeper David de Gea was not sent off for handling just outside the penalty area in the first half, which the officials did not pick up on.

However, the former Real Madrid coach felt referee Mike Dean was right to book Ander Herrera for diving deep into stoppage time when the midfielder claimed he had been upended by Gary Cahill in the penalty area.

He said: "De Gea should see red because he had a handball outside the box. That is the only situation where he can speak.

"Apart from that the referee did a good job. In the Herrera incident, if it is a Chelsea player nobody speak about anything else but diving for a week."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: Southampton can still qualify for Europe

ronaldkoeman_1pn01jdmmysn61h8beishk74od.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Apr 19, 2015 01:06:00

Despite Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Stoke City which could see them slip further behind Liverpool in the Europa League place, the coach is still confident of qualifying of qualifying

Ronald Koeman remains positive over Southampton's European qualification hopes, despite Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Stoke City.

Having taken the lead at the Britannia Stadium through Morgan Schneiderlin, Southampton looked on course to temporarily close the gap on the top four to two points.

However, the visitors failed to make their pressure pay and were punished by second-half strikes from Mame Biram Diouf and Charlie Adam, but Koeman remains positive about his side's chances of qualifying for Europe.

"Sometimes it's difficult to understand and accept a final result like that," he said.

"We know football is about details, but we did enough to get at least a point.

"Maybe in some situations we need to be more clinical in the box, but in general we played well, it's important to keep that until the end of the season.

"The distance to the top four is still five points, but we are fighting for a Europa League place, that’s our Champions League, we have to see it like that.

"We are still in very good position in the table."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini refuses to be drawn on Yaya Toure agent's 'weak' attack

manuel-pellegrini-manchester-city_1eah554ghtacxznabe1vh3jq7.jpg

By Tom Maston at the Etihad Stadium
Apr 19, 2015 17:01:00

Dimitri Seluk launched an attack on the veteran coach and the Blues' hierarchy, but the Chilean would not comment after being asked for his response to the claims

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has refused to comment on claims from Yaya Toure's agent that he is a "weak manager".

Dimitri Seluk claimed that City should allow the midfielder to leave if they are not happy with him while claiming Pellegrini won the title last season with Roberto Mancini's team.

But when questioned about Seluk's claims by reporters, the Chilean responded only with "no comment".

On the pitch, City responded to consecutive defeats with a comfortable 2-0 victory over West Ham on Sunday, though the win was soured by a nasty-looking injury to David Silva.

The Spain international received treatment on the pitch for eight minutes after being caught by Cheikhou Kouyate's elbow midway through the second half, with Pellegrini confirming the player had gone to hospital to have his cheekbone and collarbone assessed.

But the veteran coach refused to blame Kouyate for the incident despite the Senegal midfielder being booked by referee Anthony Taylor.

“I always think players don’t want to damage another player," he said. "I think the referee was so near. He decided it was unintentional and I believe that.

"I don't believe a player would want to hurt another. Nothing more happened."

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce also backed Kouyate following the incident, saying: "It’s accidental. I didn’t even think it was a foul.

"I've gone in and had a look and everyone thinks it’s a more serious attack than it was."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino congratulates 30-goal Kane

19 April 2015

830623header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino hailed striker Harry Kane after getting back among the goals to hit his 30th of the season during Tottenham's 3-1 Premier League win at Newcastle United.

Nacer Chadli's opener was cancelled out by Jack Colback with Christian Eriksen restoring Spurs' lead at St James' Park before Kane sealed the victory late on.

In finishing off a quick counter-attack, Kane became the first Tottenham player to reach the 30-goal mark in a single season since Gary Lineker in 1991-92.

It was Kane's first goal since returning from international duty at the start of the month and Pochettino was full of praise for the England man.

The Argentinian said: "I want to congratulate him, he deserves this moment because he works a lot.

"He's happy in the changing room and his team-mates are happy for him.

"I think he has big potential, he's young and this is his first full season with the first team. We need to push him to try to improve his level.

"He has the potential to improve. He has another challenge maybe now because we have five games ahead. We need to score and win games.

"It's important to finish as high as possible, we don't need to put too much pressure on him. We need to be calm and let him improve."

The victory also moves Spurs up to sixth - level on points with Liverpool having played a game more than Brendan Rodgers' side.

"I think we fully deserved the three points, our performance was good, better than Newcastle and I'm very pleased for the players," Pochettino added.

"After the last two games the feeling wasn't good and it's important to feel that victory again."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: United played their best match of the season at Chelsea

1256442_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Apr 19, 2015 07:29:00

The Dutchman did not take kindly to a reporter's line of questioning following a 1-0 loss at Stamford Bridge in which his side dominated possession

Louis van Gaal was in a bad mood with a BBC interviewer following Manchester United's 1-0 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

The Dutchman, who had earlier given a calmer interview to Sky Sports, took on a spikier approach later on when questioned about his feelings on United's display.

Van Gaal claimed that his men produced their best performance of the season so far but, when his adversary asked if he really rated it so highly, he found that the tables had been turned and it was the United boss asking the questions.

Here is a full transcript of the two-minute exchange between the journalist (BBC) and Van Gaal (VG):

BBC: Louis, do you feel unlucky not to have won this game?

VG: It doesn't matter how I feel, I think.

BBC: But on possession, and on the amount of time you spent in Chelsea's half, you would say that you were at least as good as they were?

VG: I don't have to say it. In football it's only counting the goals and they scored one goal. It was the first shot on the goal and, against Crystal Palace, I believe it was in the 90th minute, so they did better today.

BBC: Are you frustrated by what you've seen?

VG: I am not frustrated, I am very proud of my team. Why do I have to be frustrated?

BBC: Just at losing the game...

VG: We played the best match of the season.

BBC: Is that how highly you rate the performance, yeah?

VG: Yeah, you don't?

BBC: No, I'm just interested in how you see it...

VG: Okay, that's good ... that you are interested.

BBC: You changed things around today because you had to. Did it work exactly as you intended it to, with Wayne Rooney back in midfield?

VG: When I say that we played the best match of the world, and is this a rhetorical question, I think.

BBC: What about the incident at the end? Should you have had a penalty?

VG: When you want to evaluate the referee then also you have to evaluate the first goal. In my opinion, that's the main decision of the referee.

BBC: Are you taking issue with what you feel maybe is a foul on [Radamel] Falcao?

VG: Maybe you can watch on television. Repetition, maybe.

BBC: Do you think it was a foul on Falcao in the build-up?

VG: So! You know that?! Okay...

BBC: Thanks, Louis.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers questions Liverpool´s mental strength

19 April 2015

830628header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers questioned the mental strength of his team after they lost another big game on Sunday, going down 2-1 to Aston Villa in the FA Cup semi-final.

The Merseyside club were looking to secure a spot in the final which takes place on May 30, Steven Gerrard's birthday, as their talismanic captain hoped to call time on his Liverpool career in fitting fashion before moving to MLS outfit LA Galaxy.

And, although they were not playing particularly well, things looked to be going to plan when Philippe Coutinho broke the deadlock after half an hour at Wembley.

But Villa deservedly levelled through the in-form Christian Benteke shortly after and Fabian Delph scored what turned out to be the winner early in the second half.

The defeat provided another example of Liverpool surrendering on the big stage this season and Rodgers is starting to lose patience.

"Dealing with the occasion is something we need to improve at," he said in quotes reported by the BBC.

"There have been other big games where we have dealt with that very well, but there are others where we haven't.

"We need to focus on the performances and if we do that then normally we get the victories. But today it wasn't at the right level.

"Now we have to strive for top-four Premier League finish - it is an obligation of this wonderful club to fight until the finish."

Things could have turned out differently if Mario Balotelli had not seen an equaliser incorrectly disallowed for offside two minutes from time, a call that Rodgers was angered by.

He added: "It was a very poor decision. The official is looking across the line and should see the full-back playing Mario at least a yard onside. You need that to go for you."