• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Manchester United will be my last job in management

1019692_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Mar 19, 2015 20:55:00

The Dutchman started his coaching career in 1986 and says that he will retire after his stint at Old Trafford - and maintains the club are aiming to win the Premier League

Louis van Gaal says that Manchester United will be his last job in management, and he insists he plans to leave the club on a high.

The 63-year-old began his managerial career in 1986 – as an assistant at AZ – and has won the league title in three separate nations: Netherlands, Spain and Germany.

Van Gaal hopes to add to his tally of trophies in England but insists that he will retire when he calls time on his tenure at United.

"I am also old. This is my last job. For sure," he told The Daily Telegraph. "I have to pay attention to my kids, my grandchildren but also to my wife. They deserve it. Now I cannot pay that attention. I was not at the birthday of my grandson for example. I don't like it."

United are currently fourth in the Premier League and lie eight points behind leaders Chelsea, though the Blues have a game in hand, and Van Gaal insists that the main aim this season is qualification for the Champions League.

Having spent over €200 million last summer, the Dutchman admits that such a league finish would make it easier to attract marquee players, thus fuelling a potential title charge in 2015-16.

"That's our goal, yes, and it depends on how we end this season," Van Gaal replied when asked if the club can win both the Premier League and the Champions League. "We have to qualify for the Champions League and we have many tests next year.

"That also develops the level of your team, and of course how many players can come in to improve our selection."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

FA confirm Arsenal cup semi-final date

1066632_heroa.jpg

Mar 19, 2015 17:08:00

The Gunners will face Reading on April 18 at the Madejski Stadium as they look to reach their second consecutive Wembley showpiece, while Liverpool or Blackburn face Aston Villa

Arsenal's FA Cup semi-final with Reading will be played on Saturday April 18 at 17:20 GMT, the Football Association (FA) have announced.

The Gunners' clash with Steve Clarke's side at Madejski Stadium will be followed by Aston Villa's meeting with either Liverpool or Blackburn Rovers on Sunday April 19 at 3pm.

Arsene Wenger's men are looking to defend the trophy they won in May and have so far beaten Hull, Brighton and Hove Albion, Middlesbrough and Manchester United to book their date with the Royals, who have defeated Bradford City, Sunderland, Derby, Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Liverpool, meanwhile, were frustrated by Blackburn in their sixth round tie, playing out a 0-0 draw at Anfield with the Championship side.

The Reds will head to Ewood Park for the replay on April 8 and will face Tim Sherwood's side if they can overcome their lower-league opponents, with Villa having defeated Midlands rivals West Brom in the quarter-finals.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino: Tottenham must prove Manchester United defeat was a one-off

1092062_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Mar 20, 2015 00:44:00

The north Londoners were hammered at Old Trafford but the Spurs boss says that the anomalous nature of the performance has contributed to "one of the easier weeks" at the club

Tottenham are ready to put right the wrongs from their defeat by Manchester United when they host Leicester City on Saturday, says Mauricio Pochettino.

A heavy 3-0 loss at Old Trafford dealt a blow to Spurs' top-four ambitions in the Premier League, leaving Pochettino baffled at their abject display.

"This week you don't need to speak too much; it's an easy week," the Tottenham boss told reporters. "We are all agreed about what happened at Old Trafford so it's easy to fix that.

"We are all disappointed after that game. We know how we need to change or to fix that and, for me, after nine months here, it has been one of the easier weeks.

"We need to show that it hasn't damaged us too much and to try to give our best and get the three points. It's important to fix many problems and try to show on Saturday against Leicester that it was only a temporary problem [against United]."

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson, meanwhile, urged his players not to give up on their survival bid but admits that they face a "big task" with only 10 games remaining of the season.

Pearson's side are seven points adrift of Sunderland, who are directly above the relegation zone, with a game in hand, having won just four times in the top flight following promotion from the Championship, but the Foxes boss takes hope from their six remaining home matches.

"There will be results that surprise people and we have to make sure some of those go our way rather than our other competitors," he remarked.

"We've got 10 games left, six at home. Our home form has not been what we would like but, if we get into the latter stages in contact, then we can be relatively positive.

"What's important going into the last 10 is the clarity within our ranks as to what we need to achieve. The priority for us is to improve home form.

"It's a big task for us and, with the points we have and the shift in form we have to achieve, I wouldn't be in any doubt that not many people will share my belief but it's important the players remain upbeat because 10 games left is a sizeable chunk of the season.

"We're in a difficult situation but we've still got games left and, ultimately, our results have to substantially improve.

"We've been competitive. If you saw us play every week, you wouldn't necessarily recognise us as a side propping up the table but that's the reality, that's life, there's no point sticking your head in the sand. We've 10 games left and we've got to do something about it."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho defends Chelsea's penalty complaint article

1080892_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Mar 20, 2015 16:16:00

The Chelsea boss says that the piece that appeared on the club's official website was "objective", rather than part of a campaign, and insists is no wider agenda

Jose Mourinho has defended an article that appeared on Chelsea’s official website, entitled ‘Penalty puzzle’, highlighting the club's lack of spot-kicks this season.

The Blues noted that the they have been awarded just two penalties in the Premier League all season and compared that tally with previous campaigns and other top teams in England.

The article concluded that the amount of penalties Chelsea have been awarded “seems abnormally low”, but Mourinho insists that the article was “very objective”, and has questioned the amount of attention afforded to it.

“You give so much importance to that article, I read it,” he told reporters. “It’s not an opinion article, it’s not something that can lead to discussion. It’s numbers.

“It’s like stats, how many goals, assists. The number of teams a penalty has against is just another stat, it’s not open to opinion, it’s just numbers, pure numbers and nothing more than that.”

Mourinho also rebuffed the suggestion that the article was part of a wider agenda, insisting that “the numbers always tell the truth”, and denied that it could work against his team.

“Against us... it’s working since the beginning of the season so it doesn’t change. In favour I don’t believe either, it’s just an article with numbers. How many goals, how many clean sheets a team has, how many assists. No agendas, no intention, it’s just numbers.”

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Sterling stalemate will not be resolved until the summer

1008492_heroa.jpg

Mar 20, 2015 15:21:00

The England international has been linked with a big-money move away from Anfield and it has now been revealed he wants to postpone negotiations over a new deal

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says Raheem Sterling wants to hold off on contract talks until the summer.

The England international has enjoyed a rapid rise at Anfield and has made 42 appearances in all competitions this season, scoring 10 goals and providing eight assists.

Such form has led to talk of a move to an elite European club, with Real Madrid and Manchester City both credited with an interest in signing the 20-year-old.

And Rodgers has now confirmed that Sterling is keen to wait before opening negotiations with the club - despite there being an "incredible offer" on the table - though the Northern Irishman insists that the winger should remain on Merseyside as he continues his development.

Rodgers told reporters: "It has been made clear by Raheem and his representatives that he wants to concentrate on his football and see what can be resolved in the summer.

"For his development, this is the best place for him to be."

Liverpool face Manchester United on Sunday knowing that a win will see them overtake the Red Devils and climb into the top four.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez calls for mid-season Premier League break

20 March 2015

807883header.jpg

Roberto Martinez has called for the Premier League to have a mid-season break after watching his Everton side juggle a busy fixture list in 2014-15.

As well as the three domestic competitions, Everton have also competed in the UEFA Europa League, a tournament they exited on Thursday against Dynamo Kyiv.

That defeat in the last 16 was Everton's 42nd game of the campaign in all competitions and ended all English interest in Europe this season - with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City all dumped out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage.

Martinez - who has seen his side struggle to replicate last season's league form - wants more to be done to help English clubs go further in Europe and has suggested a mid-season break could enable them to recharge their batteries.

"If you look across Europe most of them have a little break in winter," said the Spaniard.

"I'm not saying that's the only difference but it can make a big difference in a squad that's also maybe playing in two domestic cups.

"You need to understand our league is the best in world. By that I mean if you are at 70 per cent you are going to lose. That shows how competitive it is.

"I don't think other leagues have that. The top teams in Europe can cruise through some games which makes it easier to plan.

"Some of our clubs in the Champions League went close and were a bit unlucky but it's about small margins and that could be down to the demand our players have to face."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carrick signs United extension

20 March 2015

807884header.jpg

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed the club have agreed a one-year contract extension with midfielder Michael Carrick.

Carrick's existing deal was due to expire at the end of the current season, however the England international will remain under contract at Old Trafford until the end of next season.

Since signing for United from Tottenham in 2006, Carrick has made 376 appearances for the club, winning five Premier League crowns as well as the UEFA Champions League in 2008.

"He is for me my second captain behind Wayne Rooney and he can also read the game as a team player so that’s very important," Van Gaal told the club's official website.

"He has also an excellent pass forward. I like, as a manager, forward passers so that’s very important for me."

The former West Ham midfielder missed four weeks of action at the start of the year, having suffered a muscle rupture.

However, he has proven a key figure in United's recent revival and scored his first Premier League goal of the season against former club Spurs at Old Trafford on Sunday.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Chelsea don't need Pogba - we have Loftus-Cheek

811942_heroa.jpg

By Paul Clennam
Mar 20, 2015 14:14:00

The Juventus midfielder has been linked with a big-money move to Stamford Bridge, but the Portuguese insists he is happy with his squad

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says he has no interest in Juventus star Paul Pogba, insisting that he is more excited by youngster Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

The Blues, alongside Manchester City, are considered favourites to land Pogba in a big-money summer move should he leave Turin, where has emerged as one of the world's finest players since leaving Manchester United on a free transfer in 2012.

According to his agent, Mino Raiola, the France international would command a fee in the region of €100 million, but Mourinho prefers to look closer to home as he bids to improve his squad for next season.

“I don’t speak about Pogba or other players," he told reporters.

“The only thing I can tell you is that we look to our midfield players and between Fabregas, Matic, Ramires, Ruben, Mikel is injured, but between these guys we have a good group.

"Next season Ruben Loftus-Cheek will be competing for a first-team position. At the moment we are protecting him. Next season he will not be a number, he will be a player."

Mourinho also admitted he is interested in bringing in some new faces this summer, but points out that this is nothing new.

"Our transfer policy doesn’t need a lot of funds because we don’t need a lot of things," he added. "We like our squad, we like our players, and with a couple of exceptions, we have a young squad.

"Once more, I think our transfer policy will be nice and quiet and will be a consequence of the players that we sell and the money we make from the players we sell. We are building credibility because we sell good players.

"In this moment, if you ask me if I’m happy, yes I’m happy. If you ask me zero movements in or out I say I don’t believe because there are always improvements to be made. I’m not worried about funds."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini rubbishes ´disaster´ talk at City

20 March 2015

807807header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has dismissed talk of a crisis at the club following their UEFA Champions League exit and faltering Premier League title defence.

City were knocked out of the UEFA Champions League at the hands of Barcelona on Wednesday, having previously slipped six points behind league leaders Chelsea with a shock defeat at Burnley last weekend.

As Pellegrini's men prepare to return to domestic action against West Brom on Saturday, the Chilean has moved to play down criticism aimed at City.

Asked on Friday whether he was still enjoying the job, Pellegrini answered: "Yes. I have just played Barcelona in the Champions League, now we are fighting for the best league in the world.

"If you do not enjoy it, you should see a doctor. We are in second position and that's not a disaster, only Chelsea have done better. We try now to play the last nine games at our best.

"I have been here less than two years. Last year we won the league and a cup [the League Cup]. That is not easy. Everyone in England is strong.

"Every manager, when they have not been winning, is under pressure. It has happened with Liverpool, Arsenal, now me.

"In Spain, the same has happened with [Real Madrid coach] Carlo Ancelotti and he has won four titles."

For the visit of West Brom, Pellegrini looks set to be without Yaya Toure due to an Achilles injury, with Aleksandar Kolarov (muscle) and James Milner (knee) also doubts.

"We haven't had long to recover. Maybe we are going to refresh the team mentally," the City boss added.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

1123162_thumb.jpg

West Ham 1-0 Sunderland: Sakho sickener for Advocaat
The striker netted in the 88th minute as the Black Cats remained just one point above the relegation zone despite a dogged display in east London

1121302_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 4-3 Leicester City: Kane the hat-trick hero in seven-goal thriller
The striker, who was handed a first senior England call-up on Thursday, is now the leading Premier League goalscorer with 19, following an entertaining game at White Hart Lane

1121872_thumb.jpg

Southampton 2-0 Burnley: Champions League hopes still alive for Koeman's men
Shane Long opened the scoring in the first half before a Jason Shackell own goal settled the clash, meaning the Clarets remain in the bottom three

1121882_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 1-2 Crystal Palace: Zaha clinches priceless comeback win
Alan Pardew oversaw a sixth win since taking charge as the Eagles moved further away from the relegation zone after defeating a Potters side on a three-game winning streak

1121462_thumb.jpg

Newcastle United 1-2 Arsenal: Two for Giroud as Gunners hang on
Moussa Sissoko pulled one back for the Magpies early in the second half but it was not enough as Arsene Wenger's side put their Champions League exit behind them

1121512_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-1 Swansea City: Late Gomis strike ends Sherwood's winning run
The France international netted in the 87th minute to lift Garry Monk's side up to eighth in the Premier League table as the hosts again struggled at Villa Park

1120802_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 3-0 West Brom: Wrong man sent off for Baggies as Bony opens account
Craig Dawson appeared to foul the striker but Gareth McAuley was dismissed after just two minutes as the Premier League champions made easy work of Tony Pulis's side

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis calls for reviews after McAuley mistakenly sent off

1121562_heroa.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Mar 21, 2015 17:22:00

Craig Dawson fouled Wilfried Bony after just 65 seconds of Manchester City's 3-0 win over West Brom, and the Baggies boss feels "30-second calls-backs" will prevent similar errors

West Brom boss Tony Pulis called for managers to be able to challenge refereeing decisions after seeing Gareth McAuley mistakenly dismissed in Saturday's 3-0 loss to Manchester City.

The incident occurred in the second minute of the clash at the Etihad Stadium, when Craig Dawson fouled Wilfried Bony, but McAuley was the man incorrectly sent off by referee Neil Swarbrick.

Pulis was also unhappy with City's second goal, scored by Fernando, suggesting that Saido Berahino - who later hit the crossbar from point-blank range - had been fouled in the build-up.

"If they're saying they're the laws of the game then the lad has to be sent off – fine," Pulis told BT Sport . "But how he gets the lad wrong is just absolutely amazing.

"The second goal shouldn't be allowed, Saido gets kicked in the face. It's a decision that leads to the second goal and kills the game.

"It was going to be tough here 11 against 11. Saido's missed a great chance to make it 2-1. It was a game that was decided in the first couple of minutes."

Pulis recommended a new system be implemented to avoid such decisions being repeated, adding: "We obviously don't have a say what the refs do or what they don't do, but it affects us.

"But if you're given that opportunity where the referee can have a 30-second call-back - I'd have two for each manager in each game. That eradicates all the stuff that we're going to be talking about now."

The result leaves West Brom still looking over their shoulders at the bottom three, with key matches at home to QPR and Leicester City up next.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Referee Swarbrick apologises for red-card gaffe

1120902_heroa.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Mar 21, 2015 18:33:00

Craig Dawson appeared to foul Wilfried Bony during West Brom's 3-0 loss to Manchester City, only for the match official to give Gareth McAuley his marching orders after two minutes

Neil Swarbrick has issued an apology after a case of mistaken identity led to him sending off West Brom's Gareth McAuley for a foul committed by Craig Dawson early in Saturday's game with Manchester City.

The incident occurred in just the second minute of the Premier League contest at the Etihad Stadium, when Wilfried Bony was fouled by Dawson only for McAuley to get given his marching orders after play had initially been allowed to go on.

A statement from Professional Game Match Officials Ltd, the body responsible for refereeing appointments, read: "The referee has confirmed the offence was caused by a different player, which should be addressed now as a case of mistaken identity. The referee has apologised for his error."

City went on to win the game 3-0 with Bony, Fernando and David Silva on target, but West Brom boss Tony Pulis felt key decisions went against his side.

"If they're saying they're the laws of the game then the lad has to be sent off - fine," he told BT Sport. "But how he gets the lad wrong is just absolutely amazing.

"The second goal shouldn't be allowed, Saido [Berahino] gets kicked in the face. It's a decision that leads to the second goal and kills the game.

"It was going to be tough here 11 against 11. Saido's missed a great chance to make it 2-1. It was a game that was decided in the first couple of minutes."

Swarbrick's error is the latest in a string of high-profile refereeing mistakes in England's top flight.

Roger East also recently appeared to have sent off the wrong player when showing Wes Brown a red card for a tackle made by John O'Shea at Manchester United - though the official later claimed to have spotted an infringement by Brown.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Gerrard red down to frustration

1125922_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Mar 22, 2015 20:10:00

The Reds midfielder was dismissed less than a minute after coming on as a half-time substitute during the clash with Manchester United, much to his coach's disappointment

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers claims that frustration may have played a role in Steven Gerrard's quick-fire sending off in the club's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

Gerrard - who replaced Adam Lallana at half-time - was dismissed after just 38 seconds for a stamp on Ander Herrera in his final game against the Reds' biggest rivals prior to his summer move to LA Galaxy.

The hosts were trailing 1-0 through Juan Mata's strike when Gerrard was dismissed, and fell 2-0 behind in the 59th minute through a spectacular scissor-kick from the Spaniard.

Daniel Sturridge halved the deficit, but a comeback never materialised, though Rodgers praised his side's reaction to Gerrard's dismissal.

"Steven apologised to the players and me in the dressing room," he told Sky Sports. "It was probably frustration, we didn't put a tackle in in the first half but the players adjusted well.

"I was disappointed with the first half, our start position was way too deep. They were excellent and deserved their lead. But the players showed incredible bravery in the second half and showed character.

"Without playing great, we still had a good chance. We needed some luck but it wasn't to be. We will get a reaction after this and finish the season strongly."

Another ugly incident somewhat marred the end of an enthralling game after Martin Skrtel appeared to stamp on United goalkeeper David de Gea, though Rodgers attempted to play down the incident.

"I have seen the Martin Skrtel incident," Rodgers added. "The ball was played through but it probably looks worse in slow motion.

"It looks like he is trying to get a nick on the ball, to get a toe on it the ball went into the goalkeeper's hands. Martin is not that type of player, he was just a fraction out.

"We have to refocus on our next game and we knew there would be one or two defeats on reaching our points total."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Drogba & Remy enough to replace injured Diego Costa

1090402_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Mar 22, 2015 20:35:00

The Spain international was substituted on 75 minutes with a hamstring problem after scoring his 19th goal of the season against Hull City on Sunday

Jose Mourinho insists Loic Remy and Didier Drogba are more than capable of keeping the Chelsea goals flowing in the absence of the injured Diego Costa.

Costa scored his 19th Premier League goal of the season against Hull City on Sunday but was substituted on 75 minutes with a hamstring injury, and Mourinho afterwards admitted he is not yet sure of the severity of the problem.

Replacement Loic Remy scored the winner in the 3-2 victory that keeps them six points clear of Manchester City at the top of the table, and Mourinho is confident his side can secure a first league title since 2010 without Costa.

"Remy, every time he plays for us he gives us everything," the Portuguese told Sky Sports. "Sometimes his movement, sometimes his defensive contribution, sometimes the goal to give us extra two points. I'm pleased for the boy, he's a fantastic kid.

"Costa has a problem, no doubts about it. The team needs goals and a striker comes off with 15 minutes to go... He has experience with the hamstring injuries and he knows clearly that he has an injury but if he cannot play the next game in 15 days against Stoke we have Remy, we have Drogba."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: We beat Liverpool with their own weapons… and De Gea didn't make a save!

1124902_heroa.jpg

By Greg Stobart at Anfield
Mar 22, 2015 18:52:00

The Dutchman was effusive in his praise of his side after their 2-1 win at Anfield, as Juan Mata's brace moved Manchester United five points clear of the Reds in the league

Louis van Gaal says his Manchester United team beat Liverpool “with their own weapons” after they ran out 2-1 winners at Anfield on Sunday.

A magnificent Juan Mata brace earned United all three points – despite Wayne Rooney’s penalty miss – as Steven Gerrard was sent off for the hosts in a fiery encounter.

Liverpool hadn’t lost in the Premier League since their 3-0 defeat to United in December, and have persisted with the system that they used in that match at Old Trafford, but Van Gaal claims his side used the Reds’ tactics against them.

“Liverpool changed the system against us in our home match against them because they played another system and then we played also with three defenders at that time and we won 3-0, but they could have scored goals in that game," he told reporters.

"Liverpool had the first big chances but we scored and we won 3-0 and then the coach (Brendan Rodgers) has continued with the system and they have won everything.

“They never lost and then we come again and stay with our system that we have played the last 4-5 weeks. We had to prove it against the system we usually play and I asked the players also, ‘we can play the system with the three defenders or shall we continue with 4-3-3?’.

"Then we have to play like a team and that we did in the first half. We beat them again with their own weapons and the pressure on the ball. Now the gap is five points ahead of Liverpool and six ahead of Tottenham and Southampton so the moment to win is one of the most important in my career.”

United remained in control of the game for the majority of the 90 minutes and Van Gaal praised his side, insisting that he could not recall David De Gea making a save during the clash.

“The first half was very good because I know in advance that Liverpool should press us and they did and we played them off the pitch in the first half,” he added.

“We scored a fantastic goal and gave nothing away so it was a superb first half. I came in the dressing room and I gave all my compliments again but then in the second half everything is changed because of the red card and we are not any more playing like a team.

“We are running with the ball, unnecessary losses of the ball and when we don’t have the ball, we don’t press the opponent with the ball and that was different. Nevertheless we didn’t give many chances away because De Gea, I cannot remember a fantastic save. David De Gea has saved us a lot of times this season but I cannot remember a save.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard: Defeat was all my fault

1126042_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Mar 22, 2015 16:14:00

The Liverpool midfielder was dismissed just 38 seconds after coming on as a substitute on Sunday as Brendan Rodgers' side's top four hopes were dealt a big blow

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard says he was at fault for his side's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday after he was sent off less than a minute after coming on as a half-time substitute at Anfield.

The 34-year-old started the match on the bench but was introduced in place of Adam Lallana before the start of the second half, with United leading 1-0 after Juan Mata's exquisite first-half finish.

However, Gerrard was sent off just 38 seconds into his appearance for a stamp on Ander Herrera, and United went on take all three points, with Mata doubling his tally with a stunning bicycle kick.

Gerrard subsequently gave a post-match interview and accepted that he was to blame for the club's defeat, while he refused to contest Martin Atkinson's decision.

"I just need to accept it, the decision was right," he told Sky Sports. "I've let my team-mates and the manager down today and even more importantly let the supporters down so I take full responsibility for my actions.

"I tried to jump his tackle and I've seen his studs and I've reacted wrong, so I've been in the game long enough to know that when you do something like that - especially at that moment in the game with 45 minutes to play, with a great opportunity to get back in the game - I take full responsibility for it."

Gerrard was also at a loss to explain why he chose to stamp on Herrera, and apologised to his team-mates.

"I don't know (what caused it)," he added. "Probably just a reaction to the initial tackle but I don't really think I should say too much more on it really. I think I've come here to speak now, just to apologise to everyone in the dressing room and all the supporters because I take full responsibility for today's result."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lampard: Pellegrini not feeling pressure

23 March 2015 04:00

809318header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is showing no signs of buckling under pressure, according to loanee Frank Lampard, with the Chilean boss reportedly clinging to his job.

Pellegrini - in his second season in charge at Etihad Stadium - is facing an uncertain future in Manchester as City are set to end the 2014-15 campaign empty-handed.

City's Premier League title defence is hanging by a thread, with four wins from 10 matches leaving the club six points adrift of leaders Chelsea – who also have a game in hand.

The Manchester team have also crashed out of the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup as pressure mounts on Pellegrini but veteran midfielder Lampard - on loan from MLS outfit New York City - has thrown his support behind the 61-year-old old.

"I think Manuel is very calm. You can see his nature. He is very experienced and can handle all pressures," the 36-year-old said.

"He's got a good manner and I think it is very important as a top manager that you never look as if the pressure is getting to you and he certainly never gives us that vibe."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Points over performances for Advocaat

23 March 2015 01:50

809296header.jpg

Dick Advocaat is willing to see Sunderland adopt a "very negative" approach in the club's bid to preserve their Premier League status.

Sunderland hover just one point above the relegation zone after Saturday's 1-0 loss at West Ham left the strugglers without a win in seven league matches.

The Tyne and Wear outfit have only scored two goals during that period.

Sunderland are now preparing for the international break, with Advocaat - in charge until the end of the season - adamant he will do whatever it takes to steer his team to safety.

"I said the only important thing in the final eight games is winning, the way that we do is not important, so if we win games very ugly I like that, play very negative if the need is there," the Dutchman said.

"I have seen a team who likes to work, so I am pleased. It showed that if you work as a team and not an individual, I am sure that you get the luck you need.

"Now I have time to see my best line up."

Sunderland are next in action on April 5, when they host fierce rivals Newcastle United at the Stadium of Light.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers calls for Liverpool response

23 March 2015 08:23

809340header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is seeking a response from his side after their 13-match unbeaten Premier League run came to an end against Manchester United on Sunday.

Since a 3-0 defeat to United back in December, Rodgers' side picked up 33 points from those 13 games to give themselves a chance of a top-four finish and a return to the UEFA Champions League next season.

However, Sunday's 2-1 loss at Anfield - which saw Steven Gerrard sent off for a stamp on Ander Herrera just 38 seconds after coming on as a half-time substitute - leaves Liverpool five points behind fourth-placed United.

Liverpool's next outing comes at Arsenal after the international break, and Rodgers remains positive about his team's chances of breaking into the top four.

"It's a big challenge, but when I looked at the 10 games that were remaining, it was always going to be difficult to win all 10 of them," he said.

"We'd hoped it wouldn't be in this game against a rival but it's still very much possible.

"It's five points the difference between us and them, we've now got to recover and use this as the same springboard as we did in the last game.

"We went on an incredible run that's at least given us the opportunity and the chance. We'll go away now and look to get a victory in our next game."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez cools Lukaku fears, confirms Kone scan

22 March 2015 20:02

809135header.jpg

Roberto Martinez calmed injury fears over Romelu Lukaku but revealed Arouna Kone will have a scan after taking a knock to his knee in Sunday's 2-1 Premier League win at QPR.

Lukaku was replaced by Ross Barkley in the 67th minute at Loftus Road while Kone came off for Steven Naismith shortly after Aaron Lennon had scored what proved to be Everton's winner.

"It is too early to make an assessment, Kone took a knock on the knee and we need 48 hours," Martinez told BBC Sport.

Martinez later confirmed that Kone will have tests, but insisted that Lukaku's problem is likely just cramp as a result of an accumulation of games.

On a day when Everton all-but ended any lingering relegation fears, they were still made to work hard for their victory. QPR's Eduardo Vargas cancelled out Seamus Coleman's superb opener, before Junior Hoilett and Adel Taarabt both rattled the crossbar for the hosts in the second period.

Lennon's first Everton goal made it back-to-back league wins for the visitors, giving them a nine-point gap over the bottom three with eight games remaining.

The Merseysiders showed far more defensive solidarity than in their 5-2 UEFA Europa League defeat at Dynamo Kiev that saw them exit 6-4 on aggregate during the week.

And Martinez is hopeful they can now use the result as a springboard for a strong end to the campaign.

"That was an outstanding performance in terms of greed and the personality we needed to adapt to that type of game," he added.

"QPR have been unfortunate at home this season, have created chances and the result could have gone either way. We defended very well and scored two outstanding goals.

"The desire and application we showed gives me more satisfaction than any other victory. Now we have to make sure this performance is an incredible platform for the rest of the reason. We need to climb the table as high as we can.

"The back four were excellent, especially Phil Jagielka. It was the most impressive performance by a captain when it was most needed."