• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Walcott will get new contract but must earn Arsenal place

586651_heroa.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Mar 14, 2015 11:39:00

The Frenchman joked that the 25-year-old is far slower at signing contracts than he is on the pitch and encouraged him to take advantage of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s absence

Arsene Wenger has revealed that Arsenal have begun contract talks with Theo Walcott over an extension, though he has warned the winger that he faces a fight to get in the first team.

The Gunners endured a long-running saga to tie Walcott down to his current deal, risking losing the England international on a free before he penned terms with just six months to spare.

Wenger is keen to tie up the 25-year-old’s future, with his deal set to expire next summer, but is anticipating a similarly slow process this time around, while he hopes Walcott will not be put off signing due to his reduced playing time.

“The first contacts have been established with the embassy! We will see how that progresses politically,” the Arsenal boss told reporters.

“Walcott was difficult to convince [last time] and that’s why it took us much time. We started very early with him but it was slow progress. He is very quick on the pitch but off the pitch not always.”

Speaking of Walcott’s reduced role, Wenger continued: “I want him to stay and be a regular player and fight for his place but no matter where you go if it is a big club you have to compete for your place.

“We went to Manchester United on Monday - look at what they had on the bench. Look at what was sitting on the bench at Chelsea v Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday. That is part of the job.

“We bought Alexis Sanchez and Danny Welbeck because when you are responsible for a club and you know a player is out for a year and will not play until January, you cannot sacrifice the first six months.

“Players know they cannot play every game. We all know that. But it is normal some want to be on the pitch all the time. That is human.”

Rival winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to be sidelined for four weeks with a hamstring injury, and Wenger has urged Walcott to profit from his team-mate's misfortune: “It is an opportunity for Theo. He is ready to play.”

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Burnley 1 : Man City 0

_81652393_george_boyd.jpg

14 March 2015 Last updated at 19:37 GMT
By Michael Emons BBC Sport

George Boyd scored the winner to give Burnley a famous win against Manchester City and damage the champions' hopes of retaining their Premier League title.

Boyd arrowed in a low half-volley after a poor headed clearance from returning City captain Vincent Kompany.

The visitors had wasted chances as Edin Dzeko had a shot saved by Tom Heaton and Sergio Aguero headed just over.

This shock result means City remain five points behind leaders Chelsea, who also have two matches in hand.

On Friday, Blues boss Jose Mourinho had said the title race was already over and that his team were going to be celebrating in May.

This result could prove costly to City's hopes of winning what would be a third title in four years, and it was a disappointing performance from Manuel Pellegrini's side.

They had only won three of their last 10 matches in all competitions but would have expected a win against a Burnley side that had only won one of their previous 11 matches in 2015.

However, apart from a one-handed save to deny Dzeko, and tame efforts from Aguero and Wilfried Bony that were straight at him, Burnley goalkeeper Heaton had little to do.

Kompany was dropped for City's last match against Leicester, and should have done better than head the ball into Boyd's path. Nevertheless, it was a spectacular finish from the winger to shoot past England goalkeeper Joe Hart.

The victory moves Sean Dyche's side, Championship runners-up last season, up a position to 18th and they are only one point behind 17th-placed Sunderland.

For City, their season is in danger of falling apart. They will need to quickly regroup as they face the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday, when they need to win in the Nou Camp against Barcelona after losing the home first leg 2-1.

Burnley had to ride their luck late on as Sergio Aguero headed over, and Pablo Zabaleta went down in the penalty area under a challenge from Ben Mee, but referee Andre Marriner waved away City's calls for a penalty.

Not even the introduction of forwards Bony and Stevan Jovetic could see City rescue an equaliser as the Clarets held on for a memorable victory.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey: QPR still hopeful of avoiding relegation

1085142_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock at Selhurst Park
Mar 14, 2015 16:18:00

The 52-year-old coach insists his side are capable of picking up enough points in their nine remaining games to avoid relegation to the Championship

Chris Ramsey insists his QPR players remain “unified”, despite their 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

The R’s were well beaten by Alan Pardew’s side at Selhurst Park, as goals from Wilfried Zaha, James McArthur and Joel Ward gave Palace a 3-0 lead at half-time.

QPR improved after the break, though, and pulled a goal back when Matt Phillips scored from 40 yards, and Ramsey says that there is no in-fighting within the ranks at Loftus Road as they bid to clamber out of the drop zone in the remaining nine games of the season.

“Obviously the opportunity for me was to come in and try my best to turn it around. The squad is the squad, we’ll work with the players that we’ve got,” he told reporters.

“I’m hoping nine games is enough, that’s all we’ve got, so we’ll go for it the best we can, the players believe in it, there’s no bickering and moaning.

“Yes, they’re disappointed, and some people are voicing their opinions about how disappointed they are, but they’re still unified and all we can do really is to keep fighting.”

Darnell Furlong was tormented throughout the first-half by Palace winger Yannick Bolasie, who laid on two assists for his team-mates, and was withdrawn at half-time.

Ramsey, though, played down any suggestion that the 19-year-old was substituted because of his performance, instead insisting that he sustained a calf injury.

“Furlong’s come off because he’s got a bad calf, he only came off because his calf stiffened up and it wouldn’t be fair to keep him on hobbling,” he added. “He didn’t come off because they scored two goals, he came off because of his calf.”

Pardew, meanwhile, was delighted with his side’s performance but insists that they are not yet completely safe, despite sitting in 12th place, 11 points clear of the relegation zone.

“Mathematically we’re not safe but we’re in a great position, we’d have snapped someone’s hand off for this position whoever the manager was,” he added. “I’ve told the players to look above and not below, to avoid anxiety and pressure.

“We’ll look to Newcastle and Everton, we’re above Everton, that’s a motivation, can we finish above them? I think 11th or 12th is top of the league for this club, but in the summer, if we’re shrewd enough and clever enough, it might not be.”

Zaha sustained a rib injury as he slid in to score, while Jason Puncheon was also withdrawn after hurting his hamstring, but Pardew says neither injury is serious.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers 'relaxed' despite Sterling stalling on new Liverpool deal

969502_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Mar 14, 2015 15:14:00

The winger has been linked with a host of clubs, including Real Madrid, but the former Swansea boss is confident that the England international will remain at Anfield

While Raheem Sterling is yet to agree a new deal with Liverpool , manager Brendan Rodgers is not worried by the situation and feels the 20-year-old is keen to commit his future to the club.

The England international has become one of the Reds' most prized assets over the past couple of years, but his contract expires at the end of next season.

With no signs of an agreement between the club and player being any further forward, Rodgers maintained he has no worries over potentially losing one of his key players.

Asked at a press conference on Saturday why no deal had yet been reached, Rodgers stated: "I'm not sure, it’s not in my area.

"I just speak to Raheem about his football. The rest is down to the club and his representatives. I'm quite relaxed on it.

"Liverpool is the best option for his career, he's just turned 20 and he's made about 114 appearances in that period, which is incredible at a club this size for a young player.

"He's made it clear himself that he loves being here. I think he was quoted as saying that this is the best club for a young player to develop.

"That makes me quite relaxed about the situation. We have a track record here for developing talent , bringing players through and giving them opportunities.

"There'll be more examples of that and on his situation I'm quite relaxed."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rose is a better left-back than Shaw, says Pochettino

1083672_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Mar 14, 2015 12:31:00

The Tottenham manager believes his defender warrants a place in Roy Hodgson's England squad but was unable to explain the lack of progression from Shaw

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino believes Danny Rose is a better left-back than Manchester United's Luke Shaw.

The 24-year-old has secured a regular role in the Spurs side this season and has restricted summer signing Ben Davies to just eight starts in the Premier League.

And Pochettino, who worked with Shaw at Southampton last term before the 19-year-old sealed a move to Manchester United, believes Rose’s performances warrant a place in Roy Hodgson’s upcoming England squad.

“So far Rose has been the best left-back this season. His performances have been great. But it is not my decision, it's always Roy Hodgson's decision,” said Pochettino.

“It’s our job to compare our players with other players in the same position and we believe that Danny Rose has so far been the best English left-back.

“That’s overall what we believe. We know all the stats from players in the same position. It’s our stats, together with what we see as well.

“I think that Luke Shaw was the best English left-back last season because he was at the World Cup. He was maybe in the top three in the Premier League.”

Shaw has made only 12 Premier League starts for United in a debut campaign that has been hampered by hamstring and ankle injuries but Pochettino was reluctant to pinpoint a reason for the defender’s lack of progression.

“It is not for me to analyse Luke Shaw,” said the Tottenham manager.

“I can only explain my experience with him. But every player changes every year and now it is not me who is the manager to explain about him or what his reality is now.

“Our experience with Luke Shaw was fantastic last season, but now he’s in another context and at another club. You have to realise that players change every year, just like we change because every year is different, as things happen in our lives. Managers and players at different clubs, it’s difficult to compare.

“All players need to feel confidence from the staff, the players, the supporters. All need to be consistent in training and games to give their best. It’s not just him, it’s all players.”

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

1091292_thumb.jpg

Everton 3-0 Newcastle: Lukaku on target as Toffees get back to winning ways
The Toffees were at risk of a relegation battle after failing to win over of their previous five games, but the visitors, who had Fabricio Coloccini sent off, were easily beaten

1091012_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 3-0 Tottenham: Rooney & Fellaini punish woeful Spurs
Both scored, either side of a Michael Carrick header, to significantly boost their top-four hopes, with the striker's celebration responding to a recent video of him boxing

1090502_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 1-1 Southampton: Tadic penalty pegs back Blues
Nemanja Matic felled Sadio Mane with a clumsy challenge to cancel out Diego Costa's opener, with the visitors more than a test for Jose Mourinho's Premier League leaders

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea limping towards Premier League title

1075172_heroa.jpg

Mar 15, 2015 18:46:00

A combination of the Blues' determination and Manchester City's incompetence has brought the title within reach, but the swagger and style of autumn is long gone
Pride dented and aura damaged by Wednesday’s Champions League exit to 10-man Paris Saint-Germain, Jose Mourinho picked an interesting moment to revisit the theme that helped him make such an explosive introduction to English football back in the summer of 2004.

“My happiness, first of all, is when I compare myself with the others [managers], I see just a few that are with me in terms of success… you are too much worried about myself,” he told reporters. “What makes me feel special is that I am above all of this.”

Such outspoken confidence might prove hazardous for a lesser manager. But just as in his first season at Chelsea, Mourinho is poised to back up his bold talk with the Premier League trophy – even if Sunday’s draw with Southampton provided further evidence that the manner of the triumph is proving markedly less “special” than the man himself.

Hoping for a reaction to the PSG setback, Mourinho made just one change to the side that failed to beat the 10-man Ligue 1 champions. He got one, at least until Diego Costa scored his first goal in almost two months. Then Sadio Mane started running all over a startlingly hapless Nemanja Matic, Shane Long caused his typical nuisance and Chelsea once again looked the tired, fragile team we have watched limp their way to the title since mid-January.

Indeed, the biggest surprise as gaps opened up and mistakes were made in the second half was that Southampton, who had the benefit of 11 days rest and training for this game, were the ones who found themselves driven back and eventually pinned inside their own half. The introduction of Ramires for Matic on 53 minutes, in Mourinho’s words, “killed the counter-attack”, and only towering performances from Morgan Schneiderlin, Jose Fonte and Fraser Forster ensured the visitors escaped Stamford Bridge with a point.

A winner proved elusive. Against PSG their sin was pragmatism; against Southampton it was profligacy. A mixture of both has undermined Mourinho’s men since the turn of the year and is now threatening to help turn this Premier League title race into a comedy of errors.

Manchester City’s latest in a series of inexplicable collapses against Burnley on Saturday turned this into something of a free game for Chelsea, and afterwards Mourinho was equally aware of a point gained and an opportunity lost.

“There are two perspectives [on the result],” he insisted. “One is that a draw at home to Southampton is not a good result, and for me that perspective is very acceptable because I have this feeling. The second perspective is we had a five-point gap to second and now we have six points to second with one match less [played].”

Another consequence is that Arsenal, incredibly, have been allowed onto the fringes of the title conversation. “Of course,” Mourinho replied when asked if the Gunners were contenders, though he dismissed any suggestion that five straight Premier League wins makes them more dangerous than City: “Which momentum… 3-1 against Monaco? Or 3-0 against West Ham?”

Despite their lead, it seems remarkable that Chelsea have allowed it to come to this. From August to November it looked as though we were witnessing the emergence of a team every bit as dominant as Mourinho’s first group of Stamford Bridge champions, but with added swashbuckling style. Diego Costa ran riot, Eden Hazard teased and tormented, Cesc Fabregas was the best footballer in England and Nemanja Matic was a one-man wall in front of a defence impressively marshalled by John Terry. The balance was beautiful and brilliant.

Given his startling lack of rotation, it is tempting to conclude that Mourinho was just as enamoured with the chemistry of his strongest XI as the rest of us. A run of four games in 11 days over the festive period – culminating in that 5-3 defeat to Tottenham on New Years’ Day – destroyed Chelsea’s air of invincibility and they have never been quite the same since.

What has followed instead has been classic Mourinho: grating performances, grinding results and spiky press conferences. On the pitch, a combination of the leaders’ determination and the champions’ incompetence has ultimately brought the Blues to the verge of what was always this season’s primary goal.

There are still 10 games for Chelsea to change the narrative, and the absence of Champions League commitments will surely boost the energy levels. Winning the title is no longer a question of ‘if’, but ‘when’ and ‘how’. A return to the form of autumn would be a fine exclamation point on an excellent season, though as long as he gets to grasp the trophy in May it is likely Mourinho will consider himself “special” regardless.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I'm the best in the world

1080852_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Mar 15, 2015 07:58:00

The Portuguese has compared his record with that of his peers and maintains that he is the best manager in the world, before laying down a challenge to his team

Jose Mourinho says there is no manager in England who is anywhere near as good as he is.

The Blues were sent crashing out of the Champions League on Wednesday, losing to Paris Saint-Germain on away goals, but they have a chance to move eight points clear of Manchester City in the Premier League with victory over Southampton on Sunday.

And although Mourinho was left disappointed by Chelsea's exit to PSG, he maintains he is in a league of his own.

He told reporters: “People are too worried about me. They don’t know what my happiness is. My happiness, first of all, is when I compare myself with the others. I see just a few that are with me in terms of success.

“And the others I see a huge difference, a huge distance, with all the respect that they deserve, this is not a fight with them, I have lots of respect for all of them.

“But in the Premier League, who is European champion? Me and Van Gaal. Right? In the Premier League, how many won the Premier League twice or more than twice? Mr Wenger and myself.

“How many won every competition in this country? Community Shield, Capital One Cup, FA Cup, Premier League. How many? How many?

“You go to Europe, how many won seven league titles? How many won two Champions Leagues? Ancelotti wins three, Van Gaal two and Pep [Guardiola] has two. I am not content with that, but you are too worried about myself.

“What makes me feel special is that I am above all of this. You think I care with some b******t I read? Do you think I care? I don’t care.”

Chelsea have two games in hand over Manuel Pellegrini's side, following City's surprise 1-0 loss at Burnley on Saturday, leaving Mourinho in no doubt of what the Blues must do to win the Premier League.

“I think we need nine victories,” Mourinho stated. “Eleven matches. I think we need nine victories.

"We have to focus on nine victories. If our direct opponents lose a couple of points, then you need eight victories and one draw or something like that, but at the moment we have to focus on nine victories.”

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manchester City boss Pellegrini vows to 'continue fighting'

916602_heroa.jpg

By Roddy Brooks
Mar 14, 2015 22:57:00

A shock defeat by Burnley leaves the reigning Premier League champions five points behind Chelsea, who have two games in hand, but the Chilean is not ready to give up

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini issued a rallying call to his players after their Premier League title defence suffered a big blow in their 1-0 defeat at Burnley.

George Boyd scored the only goal just after the hour at Turf Moor, which moved the hosts to within one point of fourth-bottom Sunderland in the table.

Defeat leaves champions City five points behind leaders Chelsea, who play one of their two games in hand at home to Southampton on Sunday.

"When you have mathematical chances, you must continue fighting," Pellegrini told reporters. "The most important thing is trust in what we are doing, try to win the next game and we will see at the end of the season where we finish.

"We are in second in the table so that is not bad. There are 27 more points that we must fight for. We know that, [with] every point we drop, it is more difficult to reach the top of the table."

Pellegrini argues that his side had not played badly against Burnley but that they had not created enough chances.

"I don't think we played really bad. We created three or four chances. Burnley had, I think, one shot on target and they scored a goal," he added. "That was a normal performance that we need to improve and we will try to do it."

Pellegrini refused to criticise his players for their effort when asked if he felt that his side had played badly or lacked desire, continuing: "I am sure that they tried to give everything but maybe it was not a good day creatively."

The City boss also revealed that midfielder James Milner was not risked on Saturday because of a knee injury, with one eye on the midweek second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Barcelona.

"Milner had a kick to his knee so it was important for him to rest. I hope that he will be fit for Wednesday," Pellegrini said.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: I will leave if I lose players' support

882652_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Mar 15, 2015 08:55:00

The Dutchman has guided the club to fourth in the Premier League so far this season but says he will depart Old Trafford if the squad turn against his methods

Louis van Gaal feels he has the backing of his Manchester United players but says he would quit if the squad lost faith in his philosophy.

Rumours have emerged of unrest among some players at Old Trafford, with former Netherlands international Willem van Hanegem accusing his countryman of "mistreating" Ryan Giggs, Radamel Falcao and Angel Di Maria.

But Van Gaal believes he has the support of the dressing room, claiming the chemistry within his squad is right, with United clinging onto the fourth and final Champions League qualifying spot, but the 63-year-old admits that a premature exit from the club would be on the cards were things to change.

"When I think the chemistry between the players and the manager is not good enough anymore, then I go," Van Gaal said ahead of Sunday's showdown with Premier League rivals Tottenham.

"I am in my first season here and I can still win the title, but that will probably go to Chelsea.

"What we have to do is continue in our process. But we have been in the top four longer than Arsenal this season. That is true."

Van Gaal, who signed a three-year deal in July, added: "When I see this chemistry between myself and my players, then I don't have any doubts.

"Of course, we have disappointing moments but we can survive and we have confidence to qualify for the Champions League.

"I remember when I went to AZ, a very minor club in Holland. In my first season we were second, in my second season we were third and in my third season we finished 11th.

"I said to my players that I would go away. But the players then came to my house to ask me to stay, and so did the board. So I said, 'Okay, I will stay.' And, in the fourth year, we were champions."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Top-four would be a title for Manchester United, says Van Gaal

1083172_heroa.jpg

Mar 15, 2015 15:50:00

After being eliminated from the FA Cup by Arsenal, the 20-time champions will be trophyless for the second season running with Champions League qualification now their only aim

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has admitted that a top-four finish this season would be like winning a title.

United have been criticised for a string of unconvincing displays this season but have occupied the Champions League qualification spots in the Premier League since November.

Former player Danny Welbeck scored the winner for Arsenal in the FA Cup quarter-final on Monday and, ahead of Sunday's clash with Tottenham, Van Gaal underlined the importance of beating positional rivals.

He told Sky Sports: "I would have loved to play for the semi-final of the FA Cup. I think we could've played for two titles. Nevertheless a Champions League [spot] for us is a title.

"When you lose you have to react. You have to react in a match but on the training ground they have already reacted very well.

"It's the first match of our rat race with the other teams. It's your competitors so it's very important to win."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sturridge: My relationship with Hodgson is great

1088352_heroa.jpg

Mar 15, 2015 11:57:00

The Liverpool striker has praised the England manager, despite previous controversies, and also says he has no worries about the form of Tottenham striker Harry Kane

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge insists past controversies have not affected his love of playing for England, insisting that he has a good relationship with Roy Hodgson.

The 25-year-old was at the centre of a club vs country row earlier this season after he injured his thigh in training with the national team, 48 hours after playing for the Three Lions against Norway.

Sturridge was subsequently ruled out for three weeks and Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers - who regularly gives Sturridge two days' rest after games - lashed out at the FA over their handling of the striker, before urging Hodgson not to pick him for the games against San Marino and Estonia.

Sturridge, though, says he has no intention of dwelling on the controversy and maintains that his relationship with Hodgson is "very, very good".

"Regardless of what happened in the past, I love playing for England," Sturridge told the Daily Mail. "That situation occurred and it's in the past.

"People pick injuries up and they are unfortunate. It just so happened I got injured that day. It's life. People get injured sometimes. It is what it is.

"My relationship with the England manager is top class. No worries at all. We speak via text. We speak to each other. We keep in touch. Throughout my injury, he kept in touch. I would never blame him for this. Never. Or any of the staff - it was just an unfortunate incident.

"I have got so much respect and admiration for him and his set-up.

"For me, yes, two days' recovery works best but I am not every player. Every player's different. Some like to train on the second day. Some don't. I am used to having second-day recoveries now and when you get used to doing something, you do it. I have had periods with other clubs when I have not had second-day recovery times. So it doesn't make a huge difference."

Sturridge also remains unperturbed about the form of Tottenham striker Harry Kane, who has been heavily tipped for an England call-up after scoring 26 goals in all competitions in 2014-15, and insists that he has no worries about losing his place in the England starting XI.

"Why am I watching someone else's glories and achievements? It doesn't matter to me who comes around or what players are about. It means nothing to me," Sturridge added.

"When you watch other people, you don't get anywhere in life because you are at war with yourself. Well done to Harry Kane and what he has achieved but I am not watching what he is doing.

"I just believe in me."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet sacked by Sunderland

0,,%7E13575414,00.jpeg

By Liam Twomey
Mar 16, 2015 14:23:00

The Uruguayan successfully guided the Black Cats to safety in his first season but has presided over just four Premier League wins this term

Gus Poyet has been sacked by Sunderland on the back of Saturday's 4-0 defeat at home to Aston Villa, the club have confirmed.

Earlier on Monday Goal reported that Black Cats sporting director Lee Congerton has already lined up a temporary replacement for Poyet as he attempts to halt the club's slide towards the relegation zone.

The former Brighton boss took charge at the Stadium of Light in October 2013 following the sacking of Paolo Di Canio and succesfully guided the club to safety and reached the Capital One Cup final, where they lost 3-1 to Manchester City.

But Sunderland have failed to kick-on this term and have won just four Premier League matches, leaving them just one place and one point above the relegation zone.

Chairman Ellis Short said: “I would like to thank Gus for his endeavours during his time at the club, in particular last season’s ‘great escape’ and cup final appearance, which will live long in the memory of every Sunderland fan.

“Sadly, we have not made the progress that any of us had hoped for this season and we find ourselves battling, once again, at the wrong end of the table. We have therefore made the difficult decision that a change is needed.”

Poyet's position became untenable on Saturday when fellow relegation strugglers Aston Villa scored four first-half goals at the Stadium of Light, prompting a torrent of abuse from the stands and thousands to leave the ground well before the final whistle.

The result leaves Sunderland languishing in 17th place in the Premier League after 29 matches, just one point ahead of Burnley who recorded a surprise win over title-chasing Manchester City on Saturday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Advocaat confirms imminent Sunderland appointment

1098052_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Mar 16, 2015 23:30:00

The veteran Dutch coach is on the verge of being named as Gus Poyet's successor after the Uruguayan was sacked on Monday, with his first game in charge being a trip to West Ham

Dick Advocaat will replace Gus Poyet after confirming he has signed a short-term deal to manage relegation-threatened Sunderland until the end of the season.

Advocaat revealed the news to Dutch football magazine Voetbal International on Monday, just hours after Poyet was relieved of his duties following Sunderland's 4-0 Premier League drubbing at the hands of Aston Villa at the weekend.

The 67-year-old Dutchman, who spent four months as head coach of the Serbia national team last year, told VI: "I am now in a dark hotel, but soon I'll be working in the Stadium of Light."

Advocaat's move to Sunderland marks his first role in the Premier League, having spent time in the Netherlands, Germany and Scotland.

The well-travelled Dutchman is tasked with preserving Sunderland's top-flight status, with the embattled club just one point above the relegation zone after 29 matches, and is set to take charge of his first match in Saturday's trip to West ham.

"This is something I always wanted to do, the Premier League. The Premier League is a phenomenal competition," Advocaat told AD Sportwereld.

"As a manager, that is where you want to work, it has such a pulling power.

"Saturday, West Ham awaits. And then there's the international break. And then – the derby with Newcastle United. That is really something to look forward to because, believe me, this is just a very big club."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool have Manchester City in our sights

904792_heroa.jpg

Mar 16, 2015 22:51:00

The Northern Irish coach will not settle merely for a place in the top four and believes his side can profit from the champions' slip-up at Burnley after overcoming Swansea City

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says the Merseysiders are not just targeting a place in the top four this season, but are looking to beat Manchester City into second place, too.

The Reds have been in blistering form in 2015, while the reigning champions have faded, and Rodgers' side continued their winning ways with a 1-0 victory over Swansea City on Monday.

Liverpool are now just four points behind Manuel Pellegrini's men with nine games remaining this season and Rodgers insists his team will be looking to finish as high as possible.

"Our aim is to finish as high as we can, not just to finish fourth," the Northern Irish coach told Sky Sports.

"We go three points behind Arsenal, and obviously with Manchester City losing at the weekend it gives us an opportunity there for that, to push on."

Liverpool recorded their sixth straight clean sheet away from home, their longest run since 1972, and Rodgers believes that streak is testament to how much the side have improved recently.

"I didn't know that," Rodgers continued. "I think for the team, we looked at the numbers before the game in terms of victories - I think last season we were the team right up there with Arsenal who had won the most games away from home.

"I think this year we're up near the top end as well, in the top two or three teams. So we know we can go away from home and win because of the character of the team and the resilience of the team, and obviously importantly the quality.

"But that's nice when you consider the teams that have played here and I think it shows you the strides the team is making.

"To come away and get a clean sheet here at Swansea, and get another victory, and as you say six in a row away from home is a great, great effort from the players."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea awarded an 'abnormally low' amount of penalties

1073922_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Mar 18, 2015 19:44:00

The Blues have been awarded just two spot-kicks during the 2014-15 Premier League campaign, with the last one coming over four-and-a-half months ago

Chelsea have highlighted the lack of penalties they have been awarded this season in an article – entitled “Penalty puzzle” – posted on their official website.

The Blues note that Premier League referees have awarded the club just two spot-kicks in 2014-15, with both coming after fouls on winger Eden Hazard – in games against Arsenal and QPR.

Chelsea claim that “historically, this figure seems abnormally low”.

Jose Mourinho has repeatedly rallied against perceived injustices this season, first claiming that his side were the victim of a “campaign” – for which he was fined – before criticising the match officials after his side’s 1-1 draw with Burnley in February, during which Nemanja Matic was sent off despite being the victim of a poor tackle from Ashley Barnes.

Chelsea were awarded a penalty in their 2-2 draw with Paris Saint-Germain last week, but the club claim that the decision is simply evidence of a discrepancy in quality between Champions League officials and Premier League referees.

"We were of course the recipient of a spot-kick in our last European encounter, when PSG's Thiago Silva obviously handled in the area, but Champions League referees have spotted penalty incidents throughout, with four also given our way in the group stage,” the article reads.

"It is in our 28 Premier League games this season where we have been awarded just two penalties. Both were for infringements on the league's most-fouled player, Eden Hazard, and both were in home London derbies, against Arsenal and QPR respectively. The most recent was four-and-a-half months ago.”

Chelsea also note the number of penalties they have been awarded in recent seasons, ranging from five in 2011-12 to 11 in 2012-13, and also insist that referees have ignored potential penalty calls since their opening league game against Burnley in August.

“This season’s tally of two unquestionably bucks the recent trend yet our position as clear league leaders and second-highest scorers suggests we can’t be labelled anything other than an attacking side, spending plenty of time in the opposition box,” the article continues.

“Our two closest challengers in the Premier League this season, Manchester City and Arsenal, have both been awarded seven penalties – the most in the division. City have only scored one goal more than Chelsea and Arsenal two less.

"Last term, the two teams that finished above us in the league – Man City and Liverpool – were awarded more penalties than any other team bar us.

“From the first half of our very first league game, at Burnley, a number of key penalty-box decisions have not gone our way, Diego Costa the victim that evening after being felled trying to round the keeper. He should have been awarded Shed End penalties against Liverpool and PSG recently, too.”

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

De Jong ready to return to Newcastle training

1107492_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Mar 18, 2015 18:15:00

The Dutchman has not featured for the Magpies since August after suffering a thigh problem and a collapsed lung

Newcastle midfielder Siem de Jong has confirmed he has been cleared to return to training after a long injury lay-off.

The Netherlands international has endured a frustrating debut campaign at St James' Park and has not played for the club since August after initially struggling with a recurring thigh problem.

De Jong was nearing a comeback in February before suffering a collapsed lung that saw him endure more time on the sidelines.

The former Ajax man will now make a fresh attempt to return to action before the end of the campaign.

Writing on Twitter, De Jong said: "The last X-ray was all good. So I will start training for myself again."

De Jong has been restricted to just three appearances since moving to Newcastle in July.

The last X-ray was all good! So tomorrow I will start training for myself again. #NUFC #comebackstronger

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mancini: Pellegrini lucky to inherit my Man City team

1084172_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Mar 18, 2015 14:26:00

The Chilean boss took over from the now-Inter coach in 2013 but has come under pressure this season with his team looking a long way from winning any silverware

Former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini believes that his successor, Manuel Pellegrini, got "lucky" when he inherited a strong squad at the Etihad Stadium.

Pellegrini has come under increasing pressure, with City falling six points behind Chelsea in the chase for the Premier League title, and will need to turn around a 2-1 deficit against Barcelona if he is to lead his side to the Champions League quarter-finals.

The reigning English champions were also knocked out of the FA Cup fourth round by Middlesbrough and Inter coach Mancini, who won the league with City in 2012, says that there are no excuses for the Chilean not to collect silverware every season.

"I think Pellegrini was really lucky because he got this team that is a strong team and he has a chance to put in more good players," the Italian told CNN.

"I think City can win a title every year and have a chance - it should and must try to win a title every year.

"It's my opinion that City is the best team in the Premier League. It's in second and six points behind Chelsea but I think it's the best team.

"In the Premier League anything can happen right up to the last game, in the last minute. I think they should think that they have a chance to win the title."

Despite the club's current struggles, Mancini still views City as a team whom he helped construct.

"Maybe I miss the Premier League because I worked there for three-and-a-half years," he added. "I built the team that is now in second position. I think they play with the same players and I am very proud of this."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunderland lift Johnson suspension

0,,%7E13580868,00.jpeg

By Peter Hanson
Mar 18, 2015 16:10:00

The 27-year-old's bail has been extended until April 23 while an allegation of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl is investigated by Durham Police

Sunderland have lifted Adam Johnson's club suspension after Durham Police extended the winger's bail following his arrest on suspicion of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl.

The England international has not played since he was arrested and later bailed at the start of March, but could now feature in Dick Advocaat's managerial debut against West Ham on Saturday.

Johnson's bail was subsequently extended on Tuesday as the allegation continues to be investigated and he does not have to report back to police until April 23.

A statement from Sunderland read: “The club has discussed the current position in detail with both the PFA and Adam’s representatives,” it said.

“In line with those discussions we recognise that the player is entitled to re-commence his duties with the club while the legal process continues. He will therefore return to training.

“The club’s own investigation cannot continue until the conclusion of the legal process. Sunderland AFC will make no further comment on the matter due to the ongoing police investigation.”

Durham Police added: “Sunderland AFC informed us this morning of their decision, which of course is a matter entirely for the club.”

“The police investigation remains very much live and ongoing and a man remains on bail while enquiries continue.

“We would once again urge those posting on social media to be aware of the effects their comments can have. We accept rumour and speculation may be inevitable, but many of the comments have been distressing to the complainant, her family and people connected with the investigation.”

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: I stopped Tottenham selling Kane

919332_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Mar 20, 2015 10:43:00

The ex-Spurs manager, now at Aston Villa, gave the striker his first start in the Premier League but claims he had to resist pressure from others at the club to sell the star man

Tim Sherwood claims that Tottenham were keen to sell star striker Harry Kane last January, and that he was the man to stop them.

The 21-year-old has flourished under Mauricio Pochettino this season, scoring 26 goals in all competitions, including 16 in the Premier League, and has been rewarded with a first senior England call-up on Thursday.

Sherwood worked with Kane as head coach of the Tottenham Under-21 side before handing the youngster his first Premier League start in April 2014 after replacing Andre Villas-Boas as first-team manager.

But Sherwood, now in charge at Aston Villa, claims he had to "resist" calls for Kane to be sold by others at Tottenham and is thrilled with how the player is progressing after proving himself at White Hart Lane.

“I don’t name names but there was more than one," he told reporters.

“It’s great I resisted the temptation to get rid of him last January because perhaps he wouldn’t be the star he is for Tottenham. I would never have allowed him to be sold when I was there.

“It’s ridiculous that you let your homegrown players go. I thought it was poor that Jake Livermore and Steven Caulker should leave.

“It’s wrong for clubs to continually waste money on investing new players that you don’t know are going to settle. They should trust the people who know football within the club and not listen to outside influences who are trying to flog them a player.

“If they had brought in somebody last January and his name ended in a ‘I’ or an ‘O’ the fans would have been very excited, but I’m not sure he would have given the same output as Harry Kane has given.”