• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke confirm Shaqiri interest

6 January 2015

768138header.jpg

Stoke City assistant Mark Bowen confirmed on Tuesday that Bayern Munich attacker Xherdan Shaqiri is a transfer target for the club.

But he understands competition for the 23-year-old is fierce, with Liverpool and Inter both believed to be interested.

Bowen said Stoke, 11th in the Premier League, would still try and sign the talented Switzerland international.

"To get a good player like him on board would be fantastic," he told BBC Radio Stoke on Tuesday.

"There are other clubs interested, but it doesn’t mean we rule ourselves out.

"He’s definitely on the list, but there is competition for a player of his ability."

Shaqiri has been given limited opportunities with the Bundesliga giants, leading to the attacker being linked with a move away.

Bowen said it would take some persuasion from Stoke's hierarchy to convince Shaqiri to join them, but believes Bojan's move to the club from Barcelona helps.

"It’s bound to help and it does help," he said.

"But there’s many boxes to tick, not least the financial side of it, and with Shaqiri coming from one of the best , if not the best, clubs in the world, there’s a lot of persuasion to get it over the line."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR complete Zarate loan signing

6 January 2015

767839header.jpg

QPR have completed a deal to bring West Ham forward Mauro Zarate to Loftus Road on a six-month loan.

Zarate's move has been in the pipeline since the back end of last month and he will now join up with Harry Redknapp's men until the end of the current campaign.

The Argentine has struggled to establish himself since arriving at Upton Park from Velez Sarsfield during the close-season, but Redknapp is confident Zarate will strengthen his squad.

"We're really pleased to bring Mauro in," he said. "He's a good footballer, someone with great ability who can play as a number 10.

"I first saw him when he was on loan at Birmingham quite a few years back and I actually tried to take him to Portsmouth back then.

"He's a more-than capable player, he's already shown that, and hopefully he can come in here and do well for us."

Zarate is glad of the chance to play regular football, having made just five Premier League starts for West Ham.

"I am happy," he said. "I need this, I need to play and Queens Park Rangers have given me this chance to show what I can do.

"The Premier League is the best in the world at this moment. Does my style suit the Premier League? Maybe. We will see.

"When I met the manager he told me he wanted to sign me for Portsmouth before, but in that moment I went to Lazio. But now I am here and will play for him.

"I will try to do different things with the ball, some skills to make the difference for the team, for me and for the other players. I am fit and I hope I can be involved on Saturday."

QPR visit fellow relegation rivals Burnley in the Premier League this weekend.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis adds Kemp and Jewell to West Brom coaching staff

6 January 2015

767805header.jpg

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis has named long-time associate David Kemp and former Wigan Athletic boss Paul Jewell as his assistants.

Pulis was confirmed as Alan Irvine's successor at The Hawthorns on New Year's Day and removed Rob Kelly, Keith Downing and Dean Kiely from the club's backroom staff on Monday.

Kemp arrives having worked with Pulis at Portsmouth, Plymouth Argyle, Stoke City and Crystal Palace, while Jewell has not occupied a managerial post since leaving Ipswich Town in 2012.

"I don't know what I've done to suffer Kempy again but I suppose I will have to put up with him," joked Pulis. "But the truth is that we have a working relationship which I value very highly – he knows what I want without even having to ask these days.

"Jewelly is someone I have known for a long time. We got to know each other on coaching courses as well as in opposition – he has massive experience and when I thought about what I wanted for this post, he fitted the bill perfectly.

"I'm delighted we have got him and I am sure the players will enjoy working with him.

"There are one or two other things we shall be putting in place over the next few days before everything is settled.

"It is never a pleasant task making changes because it always means some fellow professionals have to leave the club.

"I would just like to say that, while I only worked with Keith, Dean and Rob for a short time, they impressed me as top lads who I wish well for the future."

Pulis' reign started with a 7-0 FA Cup victory over Gateshead on Saturday and West Brom welcome Hull City to The Hawthorns this weekend.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Burnley want permanent deal for Man Utd starlet Keane

676742_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Jan 6, 2015 18:48:00

The England Under-21 international has impressed while on loan this season, with his time there on the verge of expiry, and Sean Dyche hopes to bring him back

Burnley manager Sean Dyche is planning talks with Manchester United officials over a permanent transfer for defender Michael Keane.

An injury to Michael Duff in November handed Keane - who moved to Turf Moor initially on loan until January - a chance to hold down a regular first-team place at Burnley and the 21-year-old has impressed at the heart of defence.

Keane has been restricted to just five appearances for United, with the majority of his career spent out on loan at clubs like Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City, and Dyche is keen to keep hold of the England Under-21s international if a deal can be reached.

"We will wait and see and have a discussion with him and Manchester United," Dyche told the press. "It's been ongoing since he came here."

Meanwhile, Burnley have handed fellow defender Kevin Long a new contract until June 2017.

Long made his first Premier League appearance in the 3-3 draw at Newcastle on New Year's Day when injury forced off captain Jason Shackell, only for his own afternoon to be cruelly curtailed 20 minutes after his introduction due to a cruciate knee problem.

The 24-year-old has been ruled out for the season but his long-term future is secure as he starts on his gruelling road to recovery.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho charged for referee misconduct by FA after claiming 'campaign' against Chelsea

766542_heroa.jpg

Jan 8, 2015 18:24:00

The Blues boss was left incensed by referee Anthony Taylor's decision to book Cesc Fabregas for diving after the Spaniard went down in the penalty area at St Mary's

Jose Mourinho has been charged by the Football Association after claiming that there is a "campaign" to influence referees against Chelsea.

Following the Blues' 1-1 draw with Southampton at St Mary's on December 28, Mourinho was incensed by referee Anthony Taylor's decision to book Cesc Fabregas for diving when the Spaniard went down in the penalty area under a challenge from Matt Targett, describing the call as a "big mistake".

The Portuguese interpreted the booking as the latest in a long line of decisions against Chelsea over previous weeks and months and hinted at a wider agenda on the part of the media, rival managers and officials.

"I think it’s clearly the result of something that looks like a campaign," he told reporters when asked about the Fabregas incident.

"It should be easy - [referee] Anthony [Taylor] goes to a screen, he sees he makes a mistake, he’s a good guy, an honest guy, he writes ‘I made a mistake’ and lets [rescind] the yellow card to Fabregas. It should be simple.

"My view is the same as yours. It’s the view of everybody. There are situations in matches where we can have different opinions, and you think something, I think another thing but there are others where everyone has the same opinion.

"I’m saying we don’t need to speak about it because everyone knows.

"Why [was Fabregas booked]? Because the referee made a mistake. People make mistakes, he made a mistake. Big mistake, but a mistake."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sturridge due back in England before weekend

460232_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Jan 8, 2015 17:25:00

The England striker has only made three Premier League apperances this season for the Reds and spent the festive period recovering in the USA

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that Daniel Sturridge is set to return to England in the next 24 hours as he nears a Liverpool comeback.

The striker has not played a Premier League match since August due to a thigh and calf injuries, twice suffering setbacks in a bid to return to full fitness.

Sturridge, who has one goal in three league appearances this term, subsequently travelled to Boston to continue his rehabilitation.

Manager Brendan Rodgers stated at the end of December that the England international would soon return to Merseyside and Sturridge is now due back by Friday at the latest.

"Daniel Sturridge is in the final stages of his recovery," Rodgers said. "He will be back in the country in the next 24 hours.

"Daniel is a top-class player, he has wonderful qualities. He will make any team better. I'm hoping he can stay fit and make a charge for us."

Rodgers also stated that there was no update on a contract extension for Raheem Sterling, who continues to be linked with Real Madrid and Manchester City, while also cooling rumours that Liverpool are interested in signing James Milner from City.

"There's no update on Raheem's contract," he added. "That's something between the club and his representatives."

On Milner, he explained: "James is a wonderful player but players get linked with the club consistently."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vlaar ruled out for up to six weeks

469571_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Jan 8, 2015 16:28:00

The defender has been linked with a move away from Villa Park during the January transfer window, but Paul Lambert does not expect him or Fabian Delph to depart this month

Aston Villa captain Ron Vlaar could miss up to six weeks of action with a knee injury, the club has confirmed.

The centre-back limped out of Villa's 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace on New Year's Day and missed last Sunday's 1-0 FA Cup victory over Blackpool.

Vlaar, who twice underwent knee surgery at previous club Feyenoord, subsequently went for a scan on the issue and he is set for a spell on the sidelines.

"Ron Vlaar expected to be out for four to six weeks with a knee injury," read a post from Villa's official Twitter account.

Manager Paul Lambert also took questions on Thursday about Villa's plans in the transfer market.

The Scot insists the club have received no offers for Vlaar or midfielder Fabian Delph, who have both been linked with exits during the January transfer window.

Lambert did hint at interest in Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair, but would not be drawn on whether Villa would make a move for his services.

"He's a good player, I remember him at Swansea, but I'm conscious he's at another club," said Lambert.

"There will be new players in this month and none now going out."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero & Dzeko back in full Man City training

680672_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jan 8, 2015 16:44:00

The two strikers have returned to training, while the Premier League champions have also confirmed that Vincent Kompany is making "good progress" after his hamstring injury

Manchester City have confirmed that Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko have returned to full training.

Aguero has scored 19 goals in 23 appearances this season but has been sidelined with a knee injury since City's 1-0 win over Everton on December 6.

Dzeko, meanwhile, was set to deputise in Aguero's absence but suffered a calf injury in the warm-up prior to City's 1-0 victory at Leicester City on December 13.

City have also confirmed that Vincent Kompany is making "good progress" as he continues to recover from a hamstring problem but have not revealed whether the defender will be fit for Saturday's fixture against Everton at Goodison Park.

The Premier League champions currently sit level on points with Chelsea at the top of the table but face key games against Arsenal and Jose Mourinho's side this month.

City also remain in talks with Swansea City for Wilfried Bony. Manuel Pellegrini's side are reluctant to pay more than €31 million for the Ivory Coast international but are close to agreeing a €95,000-a-week contract with the 26-year-old.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Convicted rapist Evans apologises amid new deal collapse

594431_heroa.jpg

Jan 8, 2015 17:16:00

Oldham said "unbearable pressure" meant they will no longer pursue a deal, while the 26-year-old said sorry for the issues his conviction has caused for the first time

Oldham Athletic have confirmed they will not sign convicted rapist Ched Evans, who apologised for the problems his conviction's caused for the first time on Thursday.

The former Manchester City forward, 26, was sentenced to five years in prison for rape in 2012 and was released in October.

Following a failed attempt at returning to Sheffield United, Oldham had been in talks to sign Evans.

However, following threats of violence and pressure from fans, campaigners and politicians, the League One club announced it has bailed on the attempt to sign the ex-Wales international.

A statement from Oldham read: “The whole issue has divided opinion and the club has been put under unbearable pressure as a result.

“Proceeding could have placed significant financial pressure on the club and continued to be a divisive influence. As a consequence the deal could not go ahead.

“As a club we condemn all crime including rape and irrespective of any appeal procedure it was always the case that we were prepared to withstand the barrage of abuse that is evident within the country and on social media.

“We deplore and condemn the vile and abusive threats, some including death threats, which have been made to our fans, sponsors and staff whilst this process has been in the public domain.

“Finally, we would like to place on record our gratitude to all who have supported the club during this difficult period, including the club staff, who have retained their focus throughout and in addition to Ched and his team who have acted with professionalism at all times.”

Earlier on Thursday, Evans released a statement via the Professional Footballers' Association in which he apologised for his crime for the first time.

"I am grateful for the support of the PFA in helping me try to return to football and continue my career," the statement read.

"Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question. This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

"I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

"Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so."

RubbingWarmPusi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Return in time to kick Arsenal's ass after Everton.

Aguero & Dzeko back in full Man City training

By Chris Davie
Jan 8, 2015 16:44:00

The two strikers have returned to training, while the Premier League champions have also confirmed that Vincent Kompany is making "good progress" after his hamstring injury

Manchester City have confirmed that Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko have returned to full training.

Aguero has scored 19 goals in 23 appearances this season but has been sidelined with a knee injury since City's 1-0 win over Everton on December 6.

Dzeko, meanwhile, was set to deputise in Aguero's absence but suffered a calf injury in the warm-up prior to City's 1-0 victory at Leicester City on December 13.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Burnley secure permanent Keane deal

8 January 2015

768865header.jpg

Burnley have completed the permanent signing of Michael Keane from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee.

The centre-back, 21, initially moved to Turf Moor on loan until January during September's transfer deadline day.

Keane has impressed during his time with Sean Dyche's men, making 10 Premier League appearances, eight of which were starts.

The England Under-21 international has now penned a three-and-a-half year deal at the Lancashire club.

Speaking about the signing, which marks Burnley's first foray into the market this month, Dyche said: "Michael is a good young player.

"We see a lot of development in him as he's on a good pathway at the moment and we're delighted that he has decided to join us."

Having started his career at United, Keane struggled to break into the first team at Old Trafford and made just five senior appearances for the club.

Subsequently, he has enjoyed loan spells with Leicester City, Derby County and Blackburn Rovers before his move to Burnley.

After initially acting as back-up, Keane grasped his chance when veteran defender Michael Duff sustained an injury in November.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

United sign Valdes

8 January 2015

769036header.jpg

Manchester United have completed the signing of free agent goalkeeper Victor Valdes.

The Spain international has been without a club since ending his lengthy association with La Liga giants Barcelona at the end of last season.

Valdes was expected to link up with Ligue 1 side Monaco when his deal at Barca ended, but a serious knee injury sustained last March put an end to that move.

The 32-year-old was subsequently linked with a move to United's Premier League rivals Liverpool, before he started training with Louis van Gaal's men in October to finish his rehabilitation.

And United have now confirmed Valdes has penned an 18-month deal at Old Trafford, with an option for a further year.

"It is a real honour to sign for Manchester United. I would like to thank Louis van Gaal and the club for allowing me to do my rehabilitation and to train with the team at the Aon Training Complex," Valdes told United's official website.

"From my short time here I can already see this is a very special club. I worked with Louis van Gaal during my time at FC Barcelona and to have the opportunity to work with him here at Manchester United is a dream come true."

The World Cup winner won the Liga title on six occasions during his time at Barcelona, while he achieved further domestic success in the Copa del Rey on two occasions.

Valdes also enjoyed success with Barca in Europe, winning the UEFA Champions League on three occasions in 2006, 2009 and 2011.

Van Gaal - who gave Valdes his debut at Barca - made it clear that the goalkeeper will be number two behind David de Gea amid speculation the 24-year-old may be sold.

"I am delighted Victor has signed for the club. Victor is a very experienced goalkeeper and his record speaks for itself," the Dutchman added.

"I have said on many occasions that Manchester United will always be interested in the best players.

"Victor has remained very professional throughout his rehabilitation from injury and has been very impressive during his training sessions with the first team over the past weeks.

"He joins the club as the number two goalkeeper and is a great addition to the first team."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Krul eyes return at Chelsea

8 January 2015

769120header.jpg

Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul is hopeful he will be fit to face Chelsea this weekend after making his return to action.

Krul has been sidelined with an ankle injury since the end of November but was able to play 45 minutes in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Celtic on Thursday.

Having come through that test without any issues, the Dutchman is optimistic over his chances of facing the Premier League leaders at Stamford Bridge this weekend.

"Game situations are always different to the ones you get in training, and better too, which is why I wanted to play in this game," Krul told Newcastle's official website after facing Celtic.

"I'm pleased to get back on the pitch and get back in my rhythm.

"My ankle is feeling really good. It's strong and I'm not feeling any problem at all.

"I'm dying to be back because I'm not very good at watching games from the sidelines. We've got a great game on Saturday against Chelsea so hopefully I can get through the next couple of days and be back in contention for the weekend.

"I've been training hard to be back and hopefully the moment is there on Saturday."

In the absence of Krul and second-choice keeper Rob Elliot [thigh], Newcastle have fielded 21-year-old Jak Alnwick in recent weeks.

"I think Jak has done great," added Krul.

"The run he's been in goal, there have been no easy games at all. And for someone who hasn't had a run of [first-team] games before in his career, I think he's been amazing.

"It's natural that he is going to make mistakes - I did that when I first came into the team, and every goalkeeper does - but he will become a better goalkeeper for this experience.

"It has been so valuable to his education playing at places like Tottenham and Arsenal and in a massive match like the Tyne-Wear derby, and he will look back at this time and realise just how good it has been for him."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hoddle cools Newcastle rumours

8 January 2015

768733header.jpg

Glenn Hoddle has moved to quash speculation that he is set to become the new head coach of Premier League club Newcastle United.

Newcastle have been searching for a replacement for former manager Alan Pardew, after he left St James' Park to replace Neil Warnock at Crystal Palace.

Several names have been touted for the vacancy on Tyneside and ex-England and Tottenham manager Hoddle has emerged as one of the front-runners.

However, the 57-year-old stated that his only priority is with his current role as first-team coach at QPR.

"There has been a lot of speculation. The media have been chasing me for a reaction to being heavily linked to the vacant Newcastle job," he told Zapsportz.

"All I am prepared to say is that I'm really enjoying the challenge of trying to keep QPR up this season.

"[QPR manager] Harry Redknapp gave me the chance to tip my toe back into coaching water and I'm up for the challenge. I've enjoyed working with Harry and the team.

"I'm looking forward to the second half of the season and the challenges that will bring in our attempt to stay up."

Hoddle, though, refused to rule out a future return to management adding: "Although I have never shut the door on management I’m happy doing what I’m doing now with QPR."

In the meantime, assistant manager John Carver is set to continue presiding over the team, with reports suggesting he will be in charge for at least the next two matches.

Former Lyon coach Remi Garde is thought to be favourite for the permanent post, while the likes of Steve McClaren and Eddie Howe, of Derby County and Bournemouth respectively, have ruled themselves out of the job.

"It's flattering [to be linked]," said Howe. "I am not going to say that you don't want to be linked with jobs because I think if you are not linked with jobs, you are not winning games. So I will take that for winning games.

"But I have no interest in any other jobs bar this one."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Koeman and Pellegrini play down Barca speculation

9 January 2015

769452header.jpg

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman and Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini have both played down the possibility of moving to Barcelona.

The future of current Barca coach Luis Enrique has been called into question in recent days amid rumours of a fall-out with star player Lionel Messi and the announcement that the club will hold presidential elections at the end of the season.

Koeman, a former Barca player, admitted on Friday that he retained an interest in coaching the club he represented between 1989 and 1995.

However, the Dutchman insists he will respect the three-year contract that he signed at Southampton in July.

Asked if he could see himself one day managing Barcelona, Koeman replied: "Yes, but I had that some times and it never happened and now I am very happy to be here in Southampton and that's the most important [thing].

"I started with a contract in Southampton and I like to be respectful to my contract and to the people."

Commenting on the apparent turbulence at Camp Nou, Koeman added: "Teams like Barcelona, if they lose games there's always a lot of critics, rumours, speculation, and I know because my whole life I am linked to Barcelona, but it's not the time to talk about that because I think it's not respectful to Southampton and it's not respectful the people of Barcelona."

City manager Pellegrini, who has previously coached Real Madrid, also underlined his commitment to his current club in a news conference on Friday, stating he was "very happy" at the Etihad Stadium.

"I have a contract for this year and next year," said the Chilean.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tan confirms Cardiff kit change

9 January 2015

769463header.jpg

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has confirmed that the club will be changing their home colours back to blue.

Malaysian businessman Tan, who took over Cardiff in May 2010, sparked outrage when he switched the team's home kit to red in 2012 as part of a rebranding to make the Championship club more appealing in his home country.

Tan has courted controversy throughout his tenure at the Welsh club, and the home fans displayed their continued frustration at the rebrand by boycotting the FA Cup third round tie with Colchester United last Friday, which was attended by a record low crowd of 4,194.

And their efforts have proved successful, with Tan changing heart after a meeting between himself, the club's board and a cross-section of supporters on Thursday.

In a statement on Cardiff's official website, Tan said: "Cardiff City football club is important to me and I wish to see it united and happy. With the guidance, blessing and influence of my mother, I asked my chairman, Mehmet Dalman, and chief executive officer, Ken Choo, for their advice and to consult with a good cross-section of the fan base.

"My wish is to unite and make the club successful and in order to achieve this I fully support the board's decision to implement the following changes:

"1. Starting from Saturday, 10 January 2015 and until the end of this season, our home kit shall be blue. Our away kit shall be red. I would like to thank the Football League for their approval to facilitate my request.

"2. For the 2015-16 season, Cardiff City's home kit colour shall be Blue. Our away kit colour shall be red.

"3. The club badge will be redesigned to reflect the dominance of the Bluebird, while celebrating the proud history and heritage of the club. I also wish to incorporate elements representative of my culture and beliefs, which I hope are respected.

"4. As the chairman has explained, the debt to equity resolution is not straightforward. We will deal with this in due course, with all decisions made in the best interest of the club.

"5. For the 2015-16 Season, non-price-freeze season tickets will be reduced and price-freeze season tickets shall be adjusted accordingly to match these prices.

"I very much hope these steps will bring unity, success and happiness to our club."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes faces tough Wollscheid decision

9 January 2015

769493header.jpg

Stoke City boss Mark Hughes is unsure whether to throw new loan signing Philipp Wollscheid in at the deep end against Arsenal.

Wollscheid joined Stoke on loan from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday, the centre-back boosting Hughes' defensive options.

And, after being impressed by the new arrival in training, Hughes could hand Wollscheid a debut at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

"We pursued Philipp because there was an opportunity to complete the deal. We felt this was a good chance to take," Hughes said.

"The timing of getting a new central defender wasn't what we anticipated, but we felt it was too big an opportunity not to take.

"He is a really good player, he is in good shape and he has arrived here in a good frame of mind. Having seen him in training this week he looks impressive.

"He is a good option for us. It is a big decision whether to throw him in at the deep end on Sunday, so we will wait and see."

Stoke missed out on the signing of Bayern Munich forward Xherdan Shaqiri, who agreed to join Serie A side Inter on Thursday.

However, Hughes takes solace from the fact they were able to hold discussions with the Switzerland international.

"We will pursue players who we feel that we can realistically get and Shaqiri was one of those," Hughes added.

"He was one that slipped by the wayside, but we were firmly in the frame. If you read what his agent said then you will see that we were serious contenders.

"We can take a lot of comfort from the fact that we can get these players in the room now and have serious conversations with them. Maybe that wasn't the case in the past."

Stoke have never taken a point from their six Premier League visits to the Emirates, but Hughes insists his side head to north London with confidence.

"We are in a real good place at the moment. We have had a tremendous festive period and we want to build upon that," he said.

"We can go to the Emirates on Sunday in good spirits having produced a superb performance against them not long ago [a 3-2 home win last month] . We hope that the performance will impact us positively on Sunday."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Szczesny apologised for smoking incident, says Wenger

9 January 2015

769363header.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed Wojciech Szczesny has apologised after being caught smoking in the changing rooms.

The Polish goalkeeper was reported to have been found smoking in the showers following a 2-0 New Year's Day defeat to Southampton in the Premier League and was dropped for the 2-0 FA Cup win against Hull City.

But Wenger says he would prefer such matters to remain private.

"What happens in our dressing room stays in our dressing room, apart from the fact that it doesn’t," he joked.

It is as yet unclear whether Szczesny will return to the starting XI for this weekend's clash with Stoke City, but Wenger has backed the 24-year-old to bounce back from the indiscretion.

"I haven't selected the first XI yet," he added. "I take everything into account. I don't think it has been damaging but ideally you want everyone to behave in a perfect way.

"I like Wojciech as a person. When he makes a mistake he stands up for it.

"He has contributed as well to the good image of Arsenal Football Club. He is a guy who learns from his mistake. I am happy with his development.

"Yes, he did apologise. He is a serious boy who works very hard. He made a mistake. He is not the first one and not the last one.

"Every club has its own internal discipline or rules. It doesn’t need to be public.

"My issue is the player here is judged on their performances. Ideally to have a high level of performance is to behave as close as possible to the rules.

"I'm against smoking but have grown up in a period where, to accomplish military service, you are paid by cigarettes.

"You were encouraged. When I was a young boy, I was surrounded by smokers. I smoked myself when I stopped playing and was a young coach. I was only alerted later. We know now it's not good."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Young out for up to six weeks

9 January 2015

769535header.jpg

Manchester United winger Ashley Young will be out for up to six weeks due to a hamstring injury, Louis van Gaal has confirmed.

Young picked up the injury in United's 1-1 draw with Stoke City on New Year's Day and did not feature in the 2-0 FA Cup third round win over Yeovil Town last Sunday.

And manager Van Gaal has revealed that the former Aston Villa man is poised for a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Speaking at his press conference prior to Sunday's Premier League clash with Southampton, Van Gaal said: "Ashley Young - four weeks to six weeks, I think.

"It's always difficult to predict in a muscle disease."

Versatile midfielder Daley Blind, who has not featured since sustaining a knee injury in Netherlands' 6-0 win over Latvia in November, could make his return, leaving Young as United's only absentee.

"I'm very happy with your question because we have only one player injured," Van Gaal responded when asked for an update on United's injury situation.

"Can you believe it? Only one. I have to select for the first team in my career at Manchester United the eleven and the eighteen players."

United signed goalkeeper Victor Valdes on Thursday, the former Barcelona stopper agreeing the move after training with the Old Trafford club since October to aid his recovery from a serious knee injury suffered last year.

Van Gaal indicated that Valdes - who will initially serve as a back-up to fellow Spaniard David de Gea - has proven his quality during that time frame.

"When you invite Victor Valdes to have his rehabilitation here at Manchester United, you do that for him, but also for yourself," he added.

"I had the chance to see him and his behaviour in rehabilitation but also if his quality was still the same.

"He has confirmed both and that is very important for me and also for him because when I am satisfied then mostly the players are satisfied."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Brom job more difficult than Palace, says Pulis

9 January 2015

769524header.jpg

Tony Pulis feels the task of keeping West Brom in the Premier League is more difficult than doing the same with Crystal Palace last term.

Pulis took over Palace in November 2013 and guided a side that previously appeared relegation certainties to an 11th-place finish in the top flight.

The Welshman left the London club by mutual consent in August last year and has now been tasked with maintaining West Brom's status in the Premier League after assuming the helm from Alan Irvine on New Year's Day.

Former Stoke City boss Pulis takes charge of his first league game as West Brom boss against Hull City on Saturday, and is under no illusions as to the scale of the challenge facing him.

"What we need is to get some results and stay in the Premiership, that's the big aim and the big task," Pulis said.

"It's more difficult [than at Palace] because there's less games. There's less time to put in place what you want to put in place.

"It's different that there might still be complacency because of the name of the football club, it automatically follows that they should be a Premier League club.

"At Palace no one gave us a chance There was more of a siege mentality at Palace.

"Only four wins at home in 2014, it shows that we have to make sure that we do better in our home games. We've got to."

Pulis is keen to add to his squad during the January transfer window, but is eager to ensure that any acquisitions will benefit to a team that sits 17th in the league, just one point above the relegation zone.

"We're looking for some players, the chairman has been very helpful in respect of understanding that we might have to bring some players in," Pulis added.

"It's very easy to go out there and sign players that don't improve the squad, that don't make it better. It's important you get better players in."