• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City can't afford to spend much in January - Pellegrini

766482_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Dec 31, 2014 14:19:00

The reigning Premier League champions fell foul of Financial Fair Play rules last year and the manager says that not much can be done to improve a squad three points behind Chelsea

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini doubts that his side will do much business in the January transfer window as they "have restrictions on money".

The reigning Premier League champions have spent extensively in recent years since their acquisition by Abu Dhabi United Group but were sanctioned for breaches of Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules this year.

"No, I don't think we will be busy," Pellegrini told reporters on Wednesday of his plans for the window. "We have restrictions on money."

One successful summer arrival was that of Frank Lampard on loan from New York City FC and the Chilean is hopeful of extending the former England international's stay beyond its initially agreed end date of January, adding: "I hope [he will be with us] until the end of the season."

City could still sell one or two fringe players, with Pellegrini confirming that they would be willing to move on Matija Nastasic and Scott Sinclair if buyers come forward.

"If they have another option [in January] that is good for them and the club, we will see," he said.

Pellegrini's side end 2014 three points behind league leaders Chelsea, with Sunderland their visitors on New Year's Day, and the manager is keen to use that game as a springboard for an even better 2015.

He continued: "I hope we start the New Year winning three points. [Sunderland are] a good team with a good manager. They have strong players.

"In general, [2014] has been successful. We have the next five months now to continue to improve the way we play."

Influential midfielder Yaya Toure will be available to take on the Black Cats, Pellegrini explained, before leaving on January 5 to participate in the Africa Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast, though Edin Dzeko and captain Vincent Kompany remain on the sidelines with injury.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'They applaud me when I lose!' - Van Gaal thanks 'unbelievable' Manchester United fans

766402_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jan 1, 2015 10:22:00

The Dutch coach endured a difficult start to life at Old Trafford but he has expressed his gratitude to the club's supporters for getting behind the team, even in defeat

Louis van Gaal has expressed his gratitude to the Manchester United fans for their continued support during the beginning of his reign at Old Trafford.

Van Gaal took over in the summer to much fanfare but endured a difficult start to life in England, as he gained just 13 points from his opening 10 Premier League games.

The club have since enjoyed something of a renaissance, however, and currently sit third in the Premier League, having lost just three of their 19 matches in 2014, and Van Gaal has now taken the time to thank the Old Trafford faithful for sticking by their team.

"I'm thanking the fans because they were very important in my first six months," he told reporters.

"The club, the fans," Van Gaal replied when asked what had surprised him most since his arrival at the club.

"I have never had the experience that when you lose or draw at home the fans are still applauding for you, showing their belief in you," he added. "Never."

"In Barcelona, the white handkerchiefs. In Bayern, whistles. In Amsterdam, Ajax, they are shouting.

"Here, they are applauding - stand up and applaud. Unbelievable."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard to play in United States

3 January 2015

766353header.jpg

Liverpool have confirmed Steven Gerrard will move to the United States when he leaves Anfield at the end of the season.

Gerrard announced his intention to end his 17-year Liverpool career on Friday, but offered little hint as to where he would play next term, only revealing that he would play on outside of England.

Reports linked the former England captain with a switch to MLS, with LA Galaxy thought to be frontrunners for his signature, and Liverpool backed up those rumours on Saturday by confirming on Twitter that Gerrard would cross the Atlantic.

MLS commentator Sean Wheelock believes the league's fans will relish the chance to see Gerrard in action.

"Steven Gerrard is an interesting situation because he is definitely known to soccer fans," said Wheelock.

"The people that already support Major League Soccer, the real football fans of the United States and Canada, those who already have Major League season tickets, who are watching the matches on TV - they are really excited about someone like Steven Gerrard.

"I think he's still injury free and has three, possibly four, very good seasons left with LA Galaxy [should he join the franchise]. It's a very smart move.

"Some of the recent big-name foreign players to come over to Major League Soccer,Tim Cahill, Thiery Henry, Robbie Keane - the reigning Major League Soccer player of the year - have shown that you can come over and still make a big impact.

"Long gone are the days of the 1990s when you had players like Carlos Valderrama and Roberto Donadoni literally at the dying end of their career."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Podolski denies ´storming out´ of training

1 January 2015

765600header.jpg

Lukas Podolski has hit out at claims in the British press that he stormed out of Arsenal's training ground this week.

The German forward has been a peripheral figure at the Emirates Stadium this term and has regularly been linked with a move away, most recently to Serie A club Inter.

Podolski has regularly voiced his desire to play more regularly under Arsene Wenger, although the Frenchman insists the striker remains part of his plans.

The former Bayern Munich man has been suffering with a groin injury and took to Twitter to dismiss allegations he stormed out of the club's Hertfordshire training complex.

He wrote: "I try not to comment on stories I see in the papers but when I see something that questions my commitment & love for the club then I must speak up!

"Here 'The Mirror' have tried to make a story out of nothing. I find it incredible that newspapers are allowed to print pure lies to get people's attention.

"In order to 'storm' off the pitch you have to actually be on the pitch in the first place, I spent the whole session inside with medical staff. It seems it is 'The Mirror' who stormed to the keyboard too quickly.

"Nevertheless I wish 'The Mirror' a Happy New Year and more luck with correct headlines in the future."

Podolski, 29, has often been linked with a return to first club Cologne, while Inter coach Roberto Mancini was quoted recently as saying the striker was on their list of targets in January.

However, Wenger dismissed the Inter link this week by stating the rumours were a "joke".

"That is a joke. Inter Milan is not serious. It is nothing serious," he told a news conference.

Wenger also played down the prospect of Podolski leaving the club on loan, stating a temporary move was more appropriate for younger members of the squad.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski bids farewell to Arsenal

3 January 2015

766405header.jpg

Lukas Podolski has bid farewell to Arsenal ahead of an expected loan move to Inter.

The Germany international was pictured arriving in Milan wearing an Inter scarf on Friday, but no official announcement regarding a deal has yet been made.

However, Podolski appears on the verge of completing the move after saying his goodbyes to Arsenal via social media on Saturday.

"I can't express in words my gratitude towards Arsenal fans for all they have done for me in my years in London," he said via his Instagram account. "Please know my heart always holds a place for you.

"I've loved every minute playing for Arsenal and I hope I have left my mark on the club and fans alike.

"Hopefully we shall meet again."

Podolski has had a frustrating time with Arsenal, scoring 31 goals in 81 appearances for the London-based Premier League club but starting just 55 games.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has not started Podolski in the Premier League this season, with the 29-year-old striker making just seven substitute appearances, prompting his impending move to Inter.

It is expected Podolski will join Inter on loan for the rest of the 2014-15 season.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew confirmed as Palace boss

3 January 2015

766299header.jpg

Crystal Palace have confirmed Alan Pardew as their new manager after agreeing his release from Premier League rivals Newcastle United.

Pardew, who arrives on a three-and-a-half-year contract, was in the stands on Thursday to watch Palace as they drew 0-0 with Aston Villa at Villa Park, with caretaker manager Keith Millen confirming the 53-year-old had been in the dressing room at the end of the game.

In a statement on Saturday, Palace announced the return of Pardew to Selhurst Park, 13 years after he left the club as a player.

The 53-year-old fuelled talk of a return to Selhurst Park when he failed to appear at a media conference following Newcastle's 3-2 victory over Everton on Sunday.

"I am absolutely delighted to be the new manager of Crystal Palace," said Pardew. "Everyone knows my history here, what's important now is to move the club to the next level.

"I believe with the backing of Steve and the board I can help achieve that and create some new exciting history for the club."

Palace co-chairman Steve Parish added: "We wanted a manager with a great track record and proven experience in the Barclays Premier League.

"In Alan we have both these things as well as a man who has great affection for this club and shares my determination to take us to the next level."

Newcastle then revealed on Monday that they had agreed a compensation package with Palace that enabled the struggling London club to hold talks with Pardew with a view to naming him as successor to Neil Warnock, who was sacked on Saturday.

Pardew spent four years at Palace in his playing days, scoring the winning goal in a shock 4-3 FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool back in 1990.

The former Southampton boss had four years at the St James' Park helm and was the fourth longest-serving manager in the top four tiers of English football behind Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger, Paul Tisdale at Exeter City and MK Dons' Karl Robinson.

Pardew endured a turbulent reign at Newcastle and had to contend with protests from sections of supporters who wanted him sacked, particularly during a dismal run in the second half of last season.

He now begins the challenge of guiding Palace – who are a point adrift of safety in the league – away from trouble, but his first game will be against Dover Athletic in the FA Cup on Sunday.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle seeking head coach following Pardew exit

3 January 2015

766310header.jpg

Newcastle United have confirmed they are on the search for a head coach rather than a manager following Alan Pardew's departure.

Pardew was confirmed as the new manager of Crystal Palace on Saturday, signing a three-and-a-half-year deal after Newcastle agreed to release him from his contract having agreed compensation with the Selhurst Park club.

John Carver and Steve Stone will remain in caretaker charge of Newcastle for Saturday's FA Cup tie with Leicester City, but a statement announcing Pardew's exit confirmed "the search for a head coach has begun".

Managing director Lee Charnley paid tribute to Pardew's efforts during his four-year stint at St James' Park.

"Despite public perceptions, fuelled by the media, Mike Ashley had never met nor spoken to Alan before his appointment. However, what developed over the last four years was a very strong and positive relationship between all parties," Charnley told Newcastle's official website.

"It is these relationships that, four years later, means the club is in a far better position, both on and off the field, and Alan has had a big part to play in that.

"During his time with us, Alan achieved two top-ten Premier League finishes, including a fifth-place finish in 2012, as well as taking us to the quarter-final of the Europa League. He goes with our best wishes and thanks."

Pardew added: "It has been a privilege to manage Newcastle United and I want to thank my captain Fabricio Coloccini and all the players, John Carver, Steve Stone, Andy Woodman and all the staff, all of who have been outstanding servants to Newcastle United.

"A special thanks also goes to the fans for all their support over the last four years. I must also thank Mike Ashley and the board for their unwavering support during my tenure at the club."

Pardew is set to come up against his former club on February 11 when Newcastle visit Selhurst Park for a Premier League fixture.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ben Arfa agrees to join Nice

3 January 2015

766328header.jpg

Newcastle United attacker Hatem Ben Arfa has agreed a deal in principle to join Ligue 1 outfit Nice.

The France international, who spent the first half of this season on loan at Hull City, will undergo a medical on Monday.

Ben Arfa began his career with Lyon, making his professional debut against Nice in 2004 before moving on to Marseille four years later.

A switch to Newcastle followed in 2010, with Ben Arfa scoring 13 goals in 76 Premier League appearances for the St James' Park outfit.

However, Ben Arfa fell out of favour under Alan Pardew, who left Newcastle to manage Crystal Palace on Saturday, and was shipped out on loan to Hull for the 2014-15 campaign.

His spell at the KC Stadium was an unsuccessful one, though, and his final appearance for the club saw him hauled off in the first half of a 3-0 defeat at Manchester United before being openly criticised by Hull boss Steve Bruce.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers on the lookout for local talent following Gerrard announcement

3 January 2015

766330header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is on the lookout for local talent following Steven Gerrard's announcement that he will leave Liverpool at the end of the season.

Gerrard's departure follows that of fellow hometown hero Jamie Carragher, who retired in 2013, and sees Liverpool's contingent of locally-sourced players dwindle further.

Rickie Lambert and Jon Flanagan are left to fly the flag for Merseyside at Anfield, while youngsters such as 17-year-old Jordan Rossiter, who made his senior debut against Middlesbrough in the League Cup earlier this season, attempt to force their way into the first team.

And Rodgers believes it is important to nurture local talent to replace the likes of Gerrard and Carragher.

"Not too many managers get to manage this kind of situation [Carragher and Gerrard leaving]," he said. "It's about finding the next one.

"That's what happens in football. You have to find the next one. There's a focus at finding the next one on our own doorstep.

"We want to find talent, of which I believe there is plenty, on Merseyside and in and around Liverpool.

"It's nigh on impossible to find a replacement for Steven of that stature and quality. He is unique in his play and behaviour.

"You can't find a direct replacement, but for us it will always be about the team. We're renowned for having top-class players."

On Gerrard's decision to end his 17-year Liverpool career, Rodgers added: "We had a chat a few days before the announcement, so I've been fully aware all the way along.

"Steven deserved the time to make his decision. The decision is purely for him and his family. He will always be an iconic figure here.

"He sees himself going on to play a couple more years. Naturally it would have been tapered a bit in the next few years [at Liverpool].

"He knew my feeling on wanting him to be here. He wasn't ready to move into coaching, he still sees himself very much as a player."

Gerrard has been heavily linked with a move to MLS in the United States, but Rodgers insisted he had not given a potential loan back to Anfield a moment's thought.

"He's still a player here now for this season," he stressed. "I'm not thinking beyond that."

Liverpool head to AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup third round on Monday.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pardew plans to raid the transfer market

3 January 2015

766334header.jpg

New manager Alan Pardew has twin targets of strengthening his Crystal Palace squad this month to stave off Premier League relegation.

Pardew officially left Newcastle United on Saturday to pen three-and-a-half-year contract at Selhurst Park after the two clubs agreed a compensation package earlier this week.

The former Palace midfielder takes charge of a club languishing in the bottom three having won just one of their last 14 games.

However, Pardew is confident of safeguarding Palace's top-flight future, but only after signing new players in the January transfer window.

"Without putting pressure on the chairman, because I think it's difficult for the manager to keep talking publicly about players and putting unnecessary pressure on the board, but we've had discussions where we're going to need a player or two – at least," said Pardew on Palace's official YouTube channel.

"And that's what we're going to try and do."

Pardew has already experienced a season of contrasting fortunes as a sizeable section of Newcastle fans called for him to be sacked before the 53-year-old oversaw an upturn in results that included wins over the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea.

And he is ready for a relegation dogfight with his beloved Palace.

"It was a choice I decided to make which I felt was right for myself and my family and my career," he added.

"It's been a while since I played here, but of course it's somewhere I know well and close to my heart. Really and truly my home is in this area and for me it's what you would class as about as close as you can as a manager to say your own club.

"This football club has done incredibly well over the past few years and it's a little bit sticky at the moment, but we need to find a route out of that.

"Now my focus is very much on getting my head around the issues that we have and how to go forward."

Having helped West Ham clinch promotion to the Premier League, stabilised Southampton and led Newcastle back into the top flight, Pardew feels he has the managerial experience needed to ensure Palace stay up.

He said: "What I would like to achieve is build a football club under my time here that has progressed.

"I managed to do that at Southampton and I managed to do that at Newcastle. I took those clubs forward.

"My experiences at West Ham – where again I did that – and not so good memories of Charlton unfortunately, but those lessons learnt have stood me in good stead."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho apologises for referee rant

4 January 2015

767093header.jpg

Jose Mourinho apologised to Kevin Friend after initially criticising the referee's performance in Chelsea's FA Cup win over Watford.

Chelsea ran out 3-0 winners against the Championship side at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, but Mourinho was originally unhappy with an incident prior to his side's second goal.

The Portuguese felt his team should have been awarded a penalty for handball before Loic Remy found the net, and blasted official Friend in a televised post-match interview.

However, having spoken to Friend, Mourinho moved to retract his earlier comments when speaking in a media conference.

"We had a big penalty in our favour and I was speaking with the referee and I want to apologise for my earlier comments to TV because what he did was great refereeing," said Chelsea's manager.

"He was saw that it was a penalty, he was going to give a penalty, but he saw the ball was going to Remy and he waited a couple of seconds.

"He told me that if Remy did not control the ball or if the ball goes over the bar or the ball was lost then he would have given a penalty. So it was good refereeing.

"I was complaining but it was good refereeing by Kevin. So I apologised."

Chelsea, who remain in contention for four trophies this season, host Newcastle United in their next Premier League game on Saturday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Nobody could ask any more of Manchester United

781992_heroa.jpg

By Dan Brett
Jan 4, 2015 23:06:00

The Dutchman heaped praise on his side's professionalism after defeating Yeovil on Sunday, arguing that they are meeting expectations at the moment

Louis van Gaal has assessed Manchester United's current situation in both the Premier League and FA Cup, and believes no more can be asked of his side.

The Dutchman saw his side through to the fourth round of the cup after a 2-0 win at Yeovil, and was pleased with how his side dealt with injuries and a tactical switch against the League One club.

"It's always difficult against such teams to play. But also we have a lot of problems with injuries because Rafael was already very quickly injured and he played through it. Also McNair and Shaw played through it. I had to change", he told BT Sport.

"I don't have more defenders so we had to change from five to four. We played four in midfield in the second half and then we played better because we kept the ball. We were more patient also and because of that we scored the winning goal.

"I don't think the opponents allowed us [to show individual quality]. They didn't give us much time so every ball was under pressure from the opponent.

"I have a lot of respect for the players and coach of Yeovil Town because it was not so easy for us. In the second half we had a little bit more time and space and then we were better. That's why the level of the players wasn't as high as usual.

"Because of all these injuries I had not so much a big selection. We had a festive period behind our back and we are in the next round. We have regained some ground to Chelsea, so what can you wish more?"

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho confirms Schwarzer departure

4 January 2015

766996header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has confirmed goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is to leave Chelsea and join fellow Premier League side Leicester City.

The 42-year-old has fallen to third in the pecking order since Thibaut Courtois has established himself as Mourinho's first choice, with Petr Cech preferred as reserve option.

Speculation had begun to mount that Schwarzer would be on his way to Leicester, who have recently been shorn of the services of number one Kasper Schmeichel due to a broken metatarsal.

Ben Hamer has played in the Dane's absence and Schwarzer will add to manager Nigel Pearson's goalkeeping options at the King Power Stadium.

Mourinho confirmed the news following his side's 3-0 victory over Watford in the FA Cup third round at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

After a frustrating first half that ended goalless, Chelsea made the breakthrough shortly before the hour through Willian's sublime finish, before further goals from Loic Remy and Kurt Zouma wrapped up the win.

Mourinho introduced both Willian and Diego Costa at the break, and the Portuguese was pleased with the impact his substitutes had on proceedings.

"It was difficult. In the first half we didn't play well and Watford were well-organised defensively," he told the BBC.

"The second half was different, we gave a different dynamic to the game. We created and we deserve to win.

"I don't need to be angry to try to change things. I did the changes that I thought could help me change the dynamic of the game.

"Diego Costa and Willian played very well and in the second half the team followed them.

"If I don't have on the bench players which can help me change the game, probably I don't win.

"A tired Diego, with 90 minutes of Southampton and 90 minutes of Tottenham, changed the game."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ketsbaia throws hat in Newcastle ring

4 January 2015

766739header.jpg

Former midfielder Temuri Ketsbaia claimed Newcastle United can "challenge" for titles as he put his name forward to replace Alan Pardew.

With Pardew having joined Crystal Palace on Friday, Newcastle are looking for a new boss and Ketsbaia has claimed he would love to lead his former club and insists he has no issue giving up control of transfers.

Ketsbaia, who played for Newcastle in the 1990s, has coached Anorthosis Famagusta in the UEFA Champions League, plus had stints in charge of Olympiacos and Georgia.

The 46-year-old coach reckons that is a good enough CV to take over at St James' Park, where he believes the fans deserve success.

Ketsbaia did not win a trophy during his four-year stint with Newcastle, finishing his time in 2000 with 78 league appearances and eight goals.

"Newcastle is a big, big club with fantastic supporters that should always want to do better," Ketsbaia told The Sunday Sun.

"It is a club that is very close to my heart and I loved my time there. My four years were the best experience ever. I would love to go back, and I think it is a club that can be near the top of the Premier League and challenging. It is a club that can challenge, for cups and for Europe.

"It deserves to do well. Whoever gets that job, it is a brilliant opportunity. I would think that there will be many managers who want it."

While the Newcastle hierarchy's heavy involvement in recruiting reportedly frustrated their former manager, Ketsbaia maintained he would be happy taking on a more coaching-specific role, with the club claiming ther search for a head coach had begun when announcing Pardew's departure.

"I don't think any manager has 100 per cent control any more. The game isn't like that," he said.

"I don't think it's a big problem. There are good players at Newcastle, so if that is the policy it is OK. As long as everyone at the club is working hard and trying to do well it is OK."

Ketsbaia left Georgia in November due to frustrations with the country's football federation and a desire to work in club football again.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard would be ´invaluable´ as a coach – Rodgers

4 January 2015

766747header.jpg

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has backed Steven Gerrard to thrive in a coaching role, if he opts to take that route after retiring.

Gerrard will leave Anfield at the end of the season after 17 years with the club, 12 of them as captain, and head for the USA to play in MLS.

That will likely take the former England skipper up to the end of his playing career.

Another Anfield favourite, Jamie Carragher, has carved out a reputable career as a television pundit after bowing out from the game in 2013.

But Rodgers believes the "gold dust" that Gerrard could pass on to the stars of tomorrow makes him an ideal coaching candidate.

"I do genuinely believe that he is that type, he can offer great advice," Rodgers told the club's official website. "It's whether it's something that he wants to do.

"When players retire and finish, they have been in this cauldron for so many years and especially with the eyes on you at a club like this here.

"They move away and they might find that after a year or two out of it, it's actually not something they want to do and there are other opportunities for them that are maybe less stressful than moving into coaching and management.

"From my perspective here, the experience that he has of Liverpool as a club and those little bits of gold dust that he can give players would be invaluable to young players."

Though in no doubt over Gerrard's capacity for an off-field role, Rodgers tempered any thoughts that the 34-year-old should move straight into management after playing.

"Moving into coaching and management is not something you just click your fingers and move into," the Northern Irishman added. "There's a lot of work, lot of hours, lot of time and a lot of commitment that has to go into that.

" I always say that if you want to move into coaching or management, take two or three years to really get your eye in on it, because it's not something that you can just click your fingers and walk into - it's a pressure situation.

"You see coaches coming in on the back of managers, learning the ropes and then maybe one day moving on in that field. For Steven, that would be a great opportunity for him to do that, but time will tell if that's something that he's really interested in."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carver wants Newcastle job

3 January 2015

766616header.jpg

John Carver wants to take over as permanent boss of Newcastle United following Alan Pardew's departure.

Newcastle confirmed on Saturday that Pardew, who was given permission to speak with Crystal Palace last Monday, had been released from his contract in order to take over at Selhurst Park.

Carver oversaw second game a caretaker manager in the FA Cup third round against Leicester City on Saturday as Newcastle tumbled out with a 1-0 defeat.

But despite that loss, the 49-year-old publicly announced his desire to take full-time charge of his hometown club.

"I'd just like to say now it's been announced Alan has taken the job [at Crystal Palace], I'd be a fool if I didn't want to be manager of this football club, or head coach," Carver said.

"Deep down inside I was always thinking that. I am putting my hat in the ring, I told the players that on the first morning, and now I'm making it public."

Should he get the job, Carver would be known as the head coach instead of manager, with Newcastle confirming the change in job title on the back of Pardew's exit.

That may indicate that Pardew's replacement will have no say in the club's transfer policy, but that is something Carver is comfortable with.

"I've not spoken to [owner] Mike [Ashley], my only communication has been with [the managing director] Lee Charnley," Carver added.

"We had a short conversation last night about the game today, nothing else, and that's been my contact.

"The only thing I will say is the position is now not manager, it's the head coach, and his job is to get the team ready for the next game. There's no need for me to be in touch with the owner, because that's the road the club is going down now.

"When I was head coach at Toronto FC I had a director of football, I never got involved in any transfer dealings, my sole responsibility was to get the team ready for the game, and I'm assuming that's what most head coaches do."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard: I would have signed new Liverpool deal

787632_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Jan 6, 2015 21:21:00

The 34-year-old is set to leave in the summer, ending a 26-year association with his boyhood club, but has admitted he would have recommitted if offered a contract in the summer

Steven Gerrard has admitted that he would have signed a new contract with Liverpool if one was offered during the summer.

The 34-year-old confirmed on Friday that he will not renew his contract and will leave at the end of the season, with the star set to head to Major League Soccer, where LA Galaxy have been widely tipped to be his next club.

Gerrard will bring to a close a 26-year-old association with his boyhood club in June, prompting many to pay tribute to his achievements, but the 34-year-old has now admitted he would have recommitted.

"Yes, if a contract had been put in front of me in pre-season I would have signed it," he told Liverpool Echo.

"I'd just retired from England to concentrate all my efforts on Liverpool. My injury record had been fantastic for the past two-and-a-half years and I had a great season from a personal point of view last season.

"It's all ifs, buts and hindsight now. That period between the summer and the end of November gave me thinking time. There's no blame and I'm not angry about it. The club had other things to worry about.

"Liverpool have been unbelievable for me since I was eight-years-old. This club has helped me fulfil my dreams over and over again. The memories and experiences I've had I wouldn't swap for anything."

Gerrard, though, has hinted at returning to Liverpool following his summer exit, adding: "I enjoy a very strong relationship with Liverpool and I don't see that coming to an end. I hope to serve the club again one day."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Johnson leaves Palace

6 January 2015

767945header.jpg

Crystal Palace have released striker Andrew Johnson following the expiration of his contract.

The 33-year-old, who previously played at Selhurst Park from 2002 to 2006, returned to the club on a short-term deal in September in an arrangement that also saw him take on some coaching responsibilities.

Johnson has made just one appearance from the bench this season and does not feature in new Palace boss Alan Pardew's plans.

Despite being deemed surplus to requirements, Johnson expressed his gratitude to the club.

"It was great to be back at Palace, if only for a short time, and I wish everyone at the club and those great supporters every success for the rest of the season," he told the club's website.

Palace host Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Schwarzer seals Leicester switch

6 January 2015

767986header.jpg

Premier League strugglers Leicester City have completed the signing of veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer from Chelsea.

The 42-year-old has penned a deal at the Midlands club until June 2016 as manager Nigel Pearson has opted to add a player with plenty of top-flight experience to his squad with rock-bottom Leicester battling against relegation.

Schwarzer has made over 600 appearances in a career that has included spells at Middlesbrough and Fulham.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho confirmed at the weekend that Schwarzer was set to leave Stamford Bridge and he was full of praise for the former Australia international, who had been with the league leaders since July 2013 to provide cover for the likes of Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois.

"On behalf of myself, my staff and my players I want to say we are going to miss the big guy. We wish him all the best in his new life at Leicester," said Mourinho following Chelsea's FA Cup win over Watford.

With first-choice Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel sidelined with a broken metatarsal, Schwarzer will challenge Ben Hamer for a place in Pearson's starting XI.

"The idea is to really put some pressure on and hopefully be selected to play," Schwarzer told Sky Sports News.

"Leicester are a good club and have a talented set of players, but are perhaps lacking in Premier League experience. I'm coming here with a lot of optimism and hope.

"I want to continue to play as long as I can and I think given the chance I can perform and help Leicester City."

Leicester, who beat Newcastle United 1-0 in the FA Cup at the weekend, host Aston Villa in the league on Saturday.