• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp: Austin future could depend on QPR survival

751492_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Dec 24, 2014 22:04:00

The 25-year-old has scored 11 goals in 15 appearances since the Rs' return to the top flight but only has 18 months remaining on his current contract at Loftus Road

Harry Redknapp believes Charlie Austin's long-term future at QPR could depend on the club remaining in the Premier League.

After working his way up through the Football League with prolific spells at Swindon Town and then Burnley, Austin moved to QPR in 2013.

His 19 Championship goals fired the club to promotion via the play-offs as QPR bounced back at the first attempt following relegation from the top flight.

Austin has looked comfortable in his new surroundings, netting 11 league goals in 15 appearances to spark speculation about a possible England call-up.

In a press conference on Wednesday, ahead of the Boxing Day trip to Arsenal, Redknapp said the striker's future would potentially hinge on whether QPR retain their Premier League status.

"He's got 18 months left, Charlie," he said. "He's not going anywhere in January so it's up to Charlie and everybody else.

"We'd like to keep him here long-term but we've got to stay in the division. He's proved he's a Premier League player and he wants to stay in the Premier League."

Asked if he felt Austin was likely to move, Redknapp replied: "Not at the moment, not in January. Once he's into the last year of his contract it's a different proposition.

"But we've just got to focus on this season. Everybody needs to do their job, Charlie needs to keep scoring goals and if we do that then I'm sure we can secure his future at QPR.

"Charlie is playing and scoring goals in a team that hasn't made a million chances.

"When the chances comes along he takes them so that's even more credit to him for what he's done.

"If he was playing at someone like Chelsea or Man City he'd probably have even more."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez: Everton can still finish fourth

681132_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Dec 24, 2014 21:17:00

The Toffees languish in 11th place in the English top flight but their manager remains optimistic about their hopes about challenging for a Champions League berth

Roberto Martinez says Everton can still finish fourth in the Premier League if they rediscover their best form following a disappointing first half of the season.

Martinez's men sit 11th in the Premier League and head into the Boxing Day visit of Stoke City having lost 3-0 at Southampton last weekend.

The Spaniard believes his side's showing was out of character in comparison to their other performances this season but is keen for Everton to hit their stride ahead of a busy period of fixtures.

"We haven't been able to be consistent with our results in the league," Martinez said. "It was the first time in the aspect of our performance at Southampton that we let ourselves down.

"We need to learn from it. We're focused on trying to get a bit of consistency on our results in the league.

"We're all hurt when you get a result like that. You feel that we could have done a lot better. Maybe we could have done a lot better in certain aspects of our performance.

"We never shy away from the responsibility. We want to get results on a consistent basis."

Everton finished a lofty fifth in the Premier League in 2013-14 but are 13 points adrift of their tally at the same stage last season.

Martinez is not worried, though, and is confident Everton have plenty of time to recover and even make a push for the top four.

"I'm not concerned in terms of the the performance. We are better this season in many aspects," he added. "It is a really exciting season because playing in Europe and other competitions gives you an extra dimension.

"We can look to the second half of the season and see how we can bridge that gap.

"I don't think the fourth place is gone. The teams that you've got fighting for the title are only taking two of the four spots.

"Everything else is wide open. There are no easy games any more, that makes it a tight league."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

762172_thumb.jpg

Giroud madness piles even more pressure on outstanding Alexis
The former Barcelona man was outstanding again in Arsenal's narrow victory over QPR but he will have to take on even more responsibility after the Frenchman's red card

718112_thumb.jpg

Koeman: Attacking instincts paying dividends for Southampton
The Saints moved back into the Premier League's top four after beating Crystal Palace, with the manager reserving special praise for Saido Mane

762032_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Giroud gave Arsenal a mountain to climb
The France international was sent off in the 53rd minute for headbutting Nedum Onuoha but the Gunners were able to hold on to a 2-1 lead to see off QPR at the Emirates Stadium

746472_thumb.jpg

Pochettino: Spurs lost control at Leicester
The Tottenham manager was extremely happy to earn a 2-1 victory in a hard-fought contest, despite the Foxes occupying last place in the Premier League

761832_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 2-1 QPR: Gunners cling on for win after Giroud red card
Olivier Giroud's red card early in the second half set up a nervy finish but goals from Alexis Sanchez and Tomas Rosicky secured the points for Arsene Wenger's side

761962_thumb.jpg

Giroud red-carded against QPR
The France international was given his marching orders by referee Martin Atkinson meaning he will miss upcoming matches against West Ham and Southampton

761412_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini: Title race not just Man City and Chelsea
The London outfit are three points clear at the top of the table but the Chilean insists that he is focused solely on his own side after another impressive victory.

717502_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I love my Chelsea players
The Portuguese rejected the notion that his team already has one hand on a first league title in four years but is full of praise for their quality, consistency and attitude

761532_thumb.jpg

Everton 0-1 Stoke City: Lacklustre Toffees slip to defeat
The hosts were beaten by a first-half Bojan penalty at Goodison Park, the Spaniard beating Tim Howard from 12 yards to earn all three points for the travelling Potters

761482_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 1-3 Hull City: Triumphant return for Bruce
The Tigers claimed a vital away win to climb out of the relegation zone after goals from Gaston Ramirez, James Chester and Nikica Jelovic helped defeat the Black Cats

761572_thumb.jpg

Burnley 0-1 Liverpool: Sterling gets Rodgers’ Reds back to winning ways
The England winger's first league goal since early September was enough to give the Merseysiders a much needed victory at Turf Moor against the struggling Clarets

761462_thumb.jpg

Swansea 1–0 Aston Villa: Sigurdsson stunner secures three points for Swans
The Iceland midfielder's stunning strike proved to be the difference as Lukasz Fabianski kept the visitors at bay with some fine saves

761362_thumb.jpg

Leicester City 1-2 Tottenham: Eriksen & Kane save Spurs again
A stellar performance from Hugo Lloris kept the Foxes largely at bay with the pressure now really mounting on Nigel Pearson following yet another defeat.

761412_thumb.jpg

West Brom 1-3 Manchester City: Impressive Blues keep pace with Chelsea
Goals from Fernando, Yaya Toure and David Silva made sure it was a comfortable afternoon in the snow for the champions despite Brown Ideye's late consolation

509631_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 1-3 Southampton: Mane marks return with star performance
The Saints came out on top after a spectacular individual performance from Sadio Mané helped them to pick up all three points at Selhurst Park, helping them climb into the top 4

761472_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle: Vintage Rooney stars for Red Devils
The England striker scored twice and set up the third for Robin van Persie as Louis van Gaal's men made it seven wins from their last eight Premier League matches

761142_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 2-0 West Ham: Terry & Costa on target for classy Blues
The Blues put in a routine showing to maintain their lead over Manchester City as Sam Allardyce's much-changed Irons team struggled to impose themselves

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I love my Chelsea players

717502_heroa.jpg

Dec 26, 2014 17:13:00

The Portuguese rejected the notion that his team already has one hand on a first league title in four years but is full of praise for their quality, consistency and attitude

By Liam Twomey at Stamford Bridge

Jose Mourinho has said he "loves" his Chelsea players again because of their incredible performances this season, insisting that even when they are not at their best, they are still good.

The Blues preserved their lead at the top of the Premier League with a dominant 2-0 win over high-flying West Ham on Boxing Day, with captain John Terry and Diego Costa getting the goals.

And while Mourinho rejects the notion that his team already have one hand on a first league title in four years, he was full of praise for the consistency, quality and attitude of his players.

"Football is football," he told reporters after the West Ham win. "You never know. The only thing we can do to try and reduce the unpredictability of football is to do what we’re doing - playing very, very well.

"The reality is, since the Burnley match, the team is playing sometimes better, sometimes not so good, but always good, solid performances.

"The results are good, the performances are quality, the players are happy, I’m happy as a coach because my team is playing well, I’m happy as a guy because I love my players.

"That’s something I missed for a while and with this group I have that."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal hands out presents to lucky Manchester United fans

761752_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Dec 26, 2014 18:12:00

The usually no-nonsense coach was in festive mood as a number of lucky supporters seated around the Old Trafford dugouts received gifts

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal got into the Christmas spirit ahead of his side's 3-1 win over Newcastle on Boxing Day, as he was handing out presents to Red Devils fans.

The former Netherlands coach has been critical of the Premier League's busy festive period in recent weeks, but appeared to be in a more cheerful mood as he gave wrapped gifts to supporters seated around the dugout area on Friday.

The notoriously no-nonsense Van Gaal was also in a generous mood when he handed wine out to journalists during his pre-match press conference earlier this week.

His good mood will no doubt have been improved as his team maintained their fine unbeaten run against the Magpies at Old Trafford.

A vintage showing from Wayne Rooney inspired the 20-time English chamipions to a 3-1 victory, with the England captain netting twice before Robin van Persie made the points safe.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man Utd are still doing 'very bad things' - Van Gaal

756752_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Dec 26, 2014 21:46:00

Though a Wayne Rooney-inspired Red Devils saw off Newcastle comfortably on Boxing Day, their manager acknowledges that they still have a great deal of work to do

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal concedes that his side are still doing "very bad things" despite beating Newcastle United.

United remain 10 points behind Premier League leaders Chelsea following a 3-1 win over Alan Pardew's men at Old Trafford on Boxing Day, with Van Gaal's side ultimately easing to victory.

Wayne Rooney, playing from a midfield role, scored twice for the hosts, with Robin van Persie netting the other as United recorded their seventh win from their last eight Premier League games.

Substitute Papiss Cisse converted a late penalty after Phil Jones had tripped Jack Colback and, although that proved to be nothing more than a consolation for Newcastle, Van Gaal feels that his men are still doing a lot wrong.

He told BT Sport: "We make progress in every game but we are also doing very bad things in every game.

"We have to improve that but I am satisfied because we are dominating most of our game - not always winning but that is coming."

Despite the 10-point gap behind leaders Chelsea, captain Rooney is by no means willing to write off United in the Premier League title race, believing that their chances rest upon recording positive results in the next few matches.

"There is a long way to go, we know that," he said. "We have chased leads down before and we have lost leads of a big number of points.

"Anything can happen, especially over the next week or two when there is a lot of games, and if we can come out of these games with the right results then we'll be in a good position."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal in the dark over Di Maria injury

664721_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Dec 26, 2014 18:52:00

The Manchester United coach is unsure exactly what has happened to the Argentine, who limped out of training on Christmas Eve with what appears to be a pelvis problem

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is unsure over the diagnosis and extent of Angel Di Maria's latest injury, which ruled him out of Fridays' 3-1 win against Newcastle.

Di Maria picked up a hamstring injury at the end of November and only returned to the first team on Saturday when he was introduced as a second-half substitute in the 1-1 draw at Aston Villa.

But he picked up another problem in training on Christmas Eve, although Van Gaal is not sure exactly what the problem is or how long the Argentine will be out of action.

"He was injured in the last training session, he stepped out of the warm-up," he told reporters. "It was a little bit amazing because he did everything very well. He stepped out and now we have to wait and see the analysis."

Asked if it was a recurrence of his hamstring injury, Van Gaal said: "I don't think so, I am not a doctor. Before we have a misunderstanding, we have to wait."

And when was asked if it was a muscle problem, he replied: "No, it's not the muscle injury. It's more that the pelvis is not in a right relationship with his leg.

"It's more for the doctor to explain than me."

The Dutchman is also unhappy at having to face Tottenham on Sunday, less than 48 hours after facing Newcastle on Boxing Day.

"I cannot prepare my team like I have to prepare," he added. "We have unit meetings, we have team meetings, we have training session, always 11 against 11 and we simulate the opponent but we cannot do that now.

"We have to play within 48 hours. For Uefa and Fifa, it is forbidden to play within 48 hours. But OK, it's England, so, different.

"All the players have to go to the AON Training Complex to recover and to eat properly. Then your body can recover better. Tomorrow morning they have again free so they can recover more. Recovery is much more important than a training session now."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool character is outstanding

752162_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Dec 26, 2014 19:03:00

Raheem Sterling's second-half strike sealed the points against Burnley and the Reds boss praised him and goalkeeper Simon Mignolet on his return to the first-team

Brendan Rodgers praised the resolve of his Liverpool side after their hard-fought 1-0 victory at Burnley on Friday.

The Reds headed into the clash at Turf Moor without a win in three Premier League outings, and the home side dominated the opening half, with Danny Ings hitting the post.

Rodgers' men survived until half-time, and found the winner shortly after the hour mark when Raheem Sterling rounded goalkeeper Tom Heaton and slotted home.

And the Northern Irishman hailed Liverpool's battling display as they moved up to ninth in the table.

"I thought in terms of our character and resilience in the game we showed outstanding qualities when needed," he said.

"Burnley pressed really hard and made it difficult in the first half but I felt we were better second half.

"I was really pleased because we had to show a different side to us. It's a great three points and I'm delighted with that."

Rodgers also reserved praise for Simon Mignolet who, after being dropped "indefinitely" two weeks ago, came on as an early replacement for the injured Brad Jones, and successfully kept the home side at bay.

"He's done well. He came for a couple of crosses really well," Rodgers said.

"He's worked hard since he's come out of the team, he's kept the clean sheet and that was important for us."

Match-winner Sterling was also lavished with praise, after the England forward had come in for criticism following a wasteful performance in the 3-0 defeat to Manchester United earlier this month.

"He's in a position now where he's going to receive opportunities," Rodgers said.

"He's going to get those central runs and since that game he's come away and worked on that type of finish.

"He showed great composure and great ability to learn. He finished it really well so his development has got us the three points."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: Kompany set for City return

673501_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Dec 26, 2014 20:04:00

The Chilean has claimed that the club captain could return within the next few days after recovering from a hamstring problem that he suffered earlier this month

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany could return for Sunday's Premier League clash with Burnley, according to manager Manuel Pellegrini.

The Belgian has been out of action since City's 1-0 win over Leicester earlier this month with a hamstring problem, joining the likes of Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic on the treatment table.

However, following Friday's 3-1 win over West Brom at The Hawthorns, Pellegrini revealed Kompany could be in line to feature against Burnley.

"Vincent Kompany maybe could be fit, we will see [on Saturday]," he told reporters.

"Edin Dzeko and Aguero will not be fit. Jovetic was on the bench today so maybe he will be fit for Sunday."

Asked for his views on City's routine victory in the West Midlands, Pellegrini expressed his satisfaction at keeping pace with Premier League leaders Chelsea despite the cold conditions.

A first-half collapse from the hosts allowed City a 3-0 lead at the interval, with Brown Ideye's late goal proving only a consolation for Alan Irvine's men.

"I am very satisfied because we have three points more and because it was a difficult game," the Chilean explained.

"It's always difficult to play West Brom at home because they defend very well but also because we scored three goals even without strikers. In the way we are playing we are doing very well.

"Scoring three goals without strikers is not easy. We are not thinking about Chelsea, we are just thinking about winning our games.

"The title never finishes in December so we are not thinking about any other team."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neil Warnock sacked as manager of Crystal Palace

• Warnock is first Premier League manager sacked this season
• Manager had wanted to sign new players in January
• Exit comes after 3-1 defeat to Southampton

Neil-Warnock-012.jpg

Neil Warnock has lost his job as the manager of Crystal Palace after defeat to Southampton. Photograph: Jamie Mcdonald/Getty Images

Paul Doyle
Saturday 27 December 2014 11.55 GMT

Neil Warnock has become the first Premier League manager to be sacked this season after losing his job at Crystal Palace. The club’s owners decided to relieve the manager of his duties in the wake of the 3-1 home defeat by Southampton on Boxing Day, a result that drew boos from the Selhurst Park crowd and sent Palace tumbling into the relegation zone.

Palace’s owners had grown uneasy with their team’s performance during a miserable run of just one win in 12 matches and, although they originally intended to see how Warnock’s side fared during Sunday’s critical Premier League match at his former club Queens Park Rangers, the co-chairman Steve Parish decided after the loss to Southampton that the quicker a managerial change was made, the better.

“I slept on it, really, and just spoke to a few people and made my mind up this morning,” Parish told the Croydon Advertiser. “Neil is a great guy and he wanted to do it at Palace. It just hasn’t happened. It just wasn’t working. You always want it sorted out as soon as possible but I haven’t got anyone lined up.”

Warnock’s dismissal brings an end to a four-month tenure after he took over following Tony Pulis’s resignation on the eve of the new season. In 17 matches Warnock led the team to three wins, six draws and eight defeats. Although he maintained he would be able to reverse the downward trend if provided with a few high-quality new players during the January transfer window, the club have decided to add a new manager to their wish list.

Palace are eager to make a rapid full-time appointment and would be keen to hire a manager who is readily available. The former Tottenham Hotspur manager Tim Sherwood was interviewed for the post in the summer and may come into the reckoning again, while Chris Hughton, Dougie Freedman and Tony Popovic could also be in contention.

Hughton offers experience of steering clubs through difficultly, having brought success and stability to Newcastle United, Birmingham City and, for a while, Norwich City, although his time at Carrow Road ended unhappily as results withered and he was sacked in April, with the club just above the Premier League relegation zone.

Freedman’s last job also came to a premature end as Bolton Wanderers let him go in October following a dismal run of results. However, the Scot has a long and successful relationship with Palace, having made more than 300 appearances across two spells before serving as a reserve team and, significantly, as first-team manager, guiding the club free of relegation from the Championship in 2011. Freedman angered the Palace hierarchy when he defected to Bolton in October 2012 but his relationship with the club has been repaired since then.

Popovic, who played for Palace from 2001-06, worked as Freedman’s assistant at Selhurst Park before embarking on his own career as a No1 in his native Australia. He has twice been named A-League coach of the year, including in 2014 when his Western Sydney Wanderers side became the first Australian team to win the Asian Champions League. Wanderers are now struggling in the A-League but Popovic’s stock remains high.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

765722_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 3-2 Everton: Clinical Colback helps Pardew return to winning ways
The Magpies returned to winning ways in a thrilling contest as Jack Colback scored the winning goal at St. James' Park despite going behind to an early Arouna Koné strike

765542_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 2-2 Burnley: Champions let Chelsea off the hook
Goals from George Boyd and Ashley Barnes capped an excellent second-half revival as Sean Dyche's strugglers fought back from a two-goal deficit to draw at the Etihad Stadium

763442_thumb.jpg

QPR 0–0 Crystal Palace: Eagles hold on for a point without Warnock
Keith Millen's first match back in caretaker charge of the visitors saw a well-fought draw which leaves the visitors just one point away from safety while QPR move up to 15th

765392_thumb.jpg

West Ham 1-2 Arsenal: Welbeck's winner keeps Gunners in top four hunt
The England international struck just minutes after Santi Cazorla's penalty to give Arsene Wenger's men all three points at Upton Park, despite Cheikhou Kouyate's headed goal

765302_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa 0-0 Sunderland: Delph sees red in goalless draw
The England midfielder was sent off in the opening stages of the second half but Paul Lambert's men stood firm to take a point from their clash with the Black Cats

764952_thumb.jpg

Pochettino content with Spurs point
Hugo Lloris was the star of the show as he kept Louis van Gaal's men at bay to secure a hard earned goalless draw

458363_thumb.jpg

Stoke City 2-0 West Brom: Pressure mounts on Irvine
The Potters claimed a comfortable victory in front of their home fans, with Mame Biram Diouf scoring a brace to pile further misery on the Baggies and their manager

765422_thumb.jpg

Hull City 0-1 Leicester City: Mahrez strike eases pressure on Pearson
The Foxes picked up a crucial away victory courtesy of a Riyad Mahrez strike at the KC Stadium to keep their hopes alive of avoiding relegation back to the Championship

765152_thumb.jpg

Southampton 1-1 Chelsea: Saints dig deep to deny Hazard and Co
Ronald Koeman's men took an early lead through Sadio Mane but an equaliser from the Belgian saw the two sides share the spoils, despite Morgan Schneiderlin's second half red card

764832_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 0-0 Manchester United: Profligate Red Devils held by Spurs
Radamel Falcao, Robin van Persie and Juan Mata, who also struck the post with a free kick, missed gilt-edged chances in both halves as a match of early promise petered out

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas: Chelsea treated me badly

693562_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Dec 28, 2014 14:31:00

The 37-year-old feels that he was let down by his players at Stamford Bridge and claims that he warned Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy that Tim Sherwood was a "dangerous" influence

Andre Villas-Boas believes that he was treated badly during his time at Chelsea and that his players let him down.

The 37-year-old, who now coaches Zenit, joined the Blues from Porto in June 2011 but was sacked the following March after registering 19 wins in 40 matches.

"I made plenty of mistakes in England and maybe I was too aggressive with the press," Villas-Boas told Expresso.

"I wanted to defend my players and the club and, at the end, I looked around me and saw that I didn't have anyone else with me. I was treated badly all the way through."

When asked if he felt let down by the Chelsea players, Villas-Boas replied: "Yes, and it was even public. Ashley Cole even admitted it and, although it's good that he's come out with it now, it was unacceptable at the time."

The Portuguese also says that he told Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy that Tim Sherwood was a damaging influence at White Hart Lane before leaving the club last December.

"Tim wasn't part of my coaching staff," said Villas-Boas, "but I warned the chairman that he was dangerous for the club."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho rages over anti-Chelsea 'campaign'

762152_heroa.jpg

Dec 28, 2014 17:39:00

The Portuguese believes the repeated allegations faced by his players in recent weeks might be making officials reluctant to award them key decisions in matches

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says a "campaign" against his side is to blame for four of his players picking up bookings for diving this season.

Cesc Fabregas became the latest Blues player to see yellow for simulation in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Southampton, though it appeared he had been tripped by Saints left-back Matt Targett.

Gary Cahill, in particular, attracted criticism earlier in December for what was judged to have been a dive against Hull City, but Mourinho says each decision has been a "bad yellow card".

"I think it’s clearly the result of something that looks like a campaign," he told reporters. "In the first match Diego [Costa] got a yellow card when should it have been a penalty and red card at Burnley.

"A few months later we lose two points in a match where the penalty is there and Fabregas gets a yellow card [on Sunday at Southampton]. In football we are always trying - or we should always try - to change the bad things and the double punishment is something unbelievable.

"You have a penalty and probably you win the game. You don’t get the penalty and you get a yellow card. It should be easy - [referee] Anthony [Taylor] goes to a screen, he sees he makes a mistake, he’s a good guy, an honest guy, he writes ‘I made a mistake’ and lets [rescind] the yellow card to Fabregas. It should be simple.

"[They are] Bad yellow cards. You can say that. I’m not saying all, but the crucial ones, because we’re speaking about crucial decisions. For example, the game against Hull City - do you think the most important thing of the game was Cahill or was it Filipe Luis almost with a broken leg? For me that’s the crucial point of the game."

When asked who he thought was behind the campaign against Chelsea, Mourinho replied: "I don’t know, but for example after the game against West Ham - good game, normal game, 2-0, should be four, should be five, Valencia made a very bad dive and at the end of the game Sam [Allardyce] is speaking about Ivanovic! What is this? What is this? For what? Why? Which intention? And today you come here, it’s crucial decision, one of these matches between two good teams, difficult match, not many opportunities for both sides, crucial decisions, and the referee makes a wrong decision. Do I have to blame the referee? I just say he made a mistake. Just that."

On the Fabregas incident, Mourinho added: "My view is the same as yours. It’s the view of everybody. There are situations in matches where we can have different opinions, and you think something, I think another thing but there are others where everyone has the same opinion.

"I’m saying we don’t need to speak about it because everyone knows.

"Why [was Fabregas booked]Because the referee made a mistake. People make mistakes, he made a mistake. Big mistake, but a mistake. He’s a very good referee. He’s a good guy from what I know. He’s young and has years and years of football ahead of him. It is a big mistake but tomorrow is another day and on January 1 he has another match against QPR and life goes on."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I discuss that with my CEO' - Van Gaal won't be drawn on Manchester United transfer strategy

764822_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Dec 28, 2014 15:10:00

The Dutchman batted away a question about his January plans following Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Tottenham, while he was dissatisfied with the result in north London

Louis van Gaal has again refused to be drawn on Manchester United’s transfer strategy ahead of the January window opening.

United have been linked with a number of potential new signings ahead of the turn of the year, with Real Madrid star Gareth Bale a reported target.

But Van Gaal is keeping his cards close to his chest, and gave no indication of his plans following his side’s 0-0 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

“No. I discuss that with my CEO,” he said when asked about his hopes for January. “I don’t tell you, sorry.”

United created plenty of chances against Spurs but were kept at bay by an outstanding Hugo Lloris, and Van Gaal was dissatisfied with the result.

“(It was an) ugly match but in the first half we played very well, but if you can't score goals you cannot win,” he added.

“I've said already before the matches that it's the culture of England. I think the human body cannot recover in 48 hours so good and you could see in the second half that it was a struggle.

“Yes, we gave three chances away but we could have scored as well; Mata free from 16 metres, Van Persie could score, also Falcao.

“But the first half was a fantastic half of ours. And you have to finish the attacks...we were not so effective today.”

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Watch us go in 2015' - Van Gaal promises Manchester United improvement

764822_heroa.jpg

Dec 28, 2014 16:17:00

The Dutchman's side will end the year third in the Premier League table after Sunday's goalless draw away at Tottenham and he has vowed that they will get better

By Greg Stobart at White Hart Lane

Louis Van Gaal has warned rivals to ‘watch’ Manchester United in 2015 and has promised further improvement from his side next year.

United will finish the year third in the Premier League table after a goalless draw against Tottenham on Sunday in which they dominated the first-half and created several clear-cut chances, only to be kept at bay by Hugo Lloris.

Nevertheless, Van Gaal has been pleased with the progress made by United since he took over in the summer and believes his side will be in a position to challenge for the title next season.

“We are improving every week. Of course we will get better in 2015 so watch,” Van Gaal told reporters. “Next season it will be a true Louis Van Gaal team.”

Van Gaal was frustrated with his side’s errant finishing against Spurs and again hit out at the Premier League's fixture scheduling, describing the second-half as a "struggle for life" two days after the Boxing Day victory over Newcastle.

“When you can’t win these type of matches when you’re the better team, it’s very difficult to be the champion at the end of the season,” Van Gaal added.

“When you don’t reward yourself, normally the opponent wins. In the second half it wasn’t football anymore. It was a struggle for life.

“You also need a little fortune. Tottenham could also have scored in the second-half but when you play your best half of the season, at White Hart Lane against a top six club, and you play like that, then you have to finish them.”

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Brom confirm Tony Pulis appointment

445016_heroa.jpg

Jan 1, 2015 10:00:00

West Brom have confirmed the appointment of Tony Pulis as the club’s new manager.

“I’m absolutely delighted to accept the job and I do so with a simple but important message for the Albion fans and everyone at the club,” Pulis told the club’s website.

“Every successful club is built on unity and that is what I shall strive to help bring to Albion. We need everyone together from top to bottom – the supporters, all the staff, the players, everyone who has an interest in the club’s welfare.

“With that, we can go forward together and hopefully take this club up the Premier League.”

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini insists: Manchester City form is strong

741702_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Jan 1, 2015 08:33:00

The Premier League champions have lost ground to Chelsea with dropped points against the division's strugglers but their manager is happy with their tally to date

Manuel Pellegrini is not concerned by Manchester City's dropped points against sides struggling in the Premier League.

The defending champions are currently on a 10-match unbeaten run in the top flight, but have slipped up against the likes of Burnley and QPR - who are both in the bottom six.

City missed the chance to close the three-point gap to leaders Chelsea on Saturday as they spurned a two-goal lead to draw with Sean Dyche's men at the Etihad Stadium.

David Silva - who scored the opener against Burnley - has suggested playing sides in the lower reaches of the table is often more difficult than facing title rivals but, despite the blip, Pellegrini feels City's recent form has been impressive.

"I think here in the Premier League, I agree with David, every team can beat every team no matter what position they are in the table," he told reporters.

"I think for us it's more important that from the last 30 points we won 26. Obviously we wanted all 30.

"We draw against QPR and we draw against Burnley - two games you would say normally we must win but it's not so easy.

"I prefer to continue having 26 points from 30 and it doesn't matter who we lose the points to. It's important to continue with that average."

Pellegrini was also asked about the futures of forward Scott Sinclair and defender Matija Nastasic, who have both been linked with exits in January.

However, the Chilean refused to be drawn on any potential offers for two players seemingly surplus to requirements at the Etihad.

"They are two players who are in our squad and we'll see what happens with them in the future," he added.

"They started the season with us but if they have another option and it's good for them and good for us, we will see will happen in the future."