• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk rues ´horrible´ first half performance against Chelsea

17 January 2015

773734header.jpg

Garry Monk branded Swansea City's first-half display as "horrible" after their 5-0 Premier League defeat to Chelsea.

Manager Garry Monk labelled Swansea City's first-half performance against Chelsea as their "worst of the season" following a 5-0 Premier League defeat.

Swansea looked helpless in the opening 45 minutes at the Liberty Stadium as a ruthless Chelsea ran in four goals, albeit with the help of some questionable home defending.

Oscar and Diego Costa both took advantage of Swansea's shortcomings to fire Chelsea into a 4-0 lead at the break with a brace apiece, before Andre Schurrle added a late fifth for the league leaders.

Monk's men had improved after the break to keep the visitors quiet for most of the half, but the 35-year-old said it was too little too late.

"It was a horrible performance in the first 45 minutes, way off standards that we have set," he said. "It is very difficult to make mistakes continuously, coupled with fact that it is against Chelsea, which magnifies it more.

"We got punished every time we made a mistake and, ultimately, the first 45 minutes cost us the game. It was always an upward battle after that.

"We had to be perfect to stand a chance. We weren't, we were far from perfect.

"Everything we worked on, we didn't do. In the second half we were marginally better, but that first 45 minutes was our worst of the season by far.

"It's hard to explain the drop-off in performance. We are still in good place, but days like today are very hard to explain.

"They are good players, they just didn't show that today at all."

The defeat is Swansea's heaviest of the season and extends their winless run in the league to four matches.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pochettino critical of offside blunder

17 January 2015

773769header.jpg

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino was unhappy at the decision to rule out Jan Vertonghen's second goal in the 2-1 win over Sunderland.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino was at a loss to understand why Jan Vertonghen had a late goal ruled out in the 2-1 Premier League win over Sunderland on Saturday.

The Belgian defender gave his side the lead after just three minutes with a deflected finish inside the area, before Sebastian Larsson curled home a superb 30-yard free-kick to restore parity.

Christian Eriksen lashed a shot home two minutes from time to ensure Tottenham of the points, but there was controversy deep into stoppage time when goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon's decision to come up for a corner allowed Vertonghen to break away and slot home into an empty net, only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

Television replays suggested that the defender had received the ball well inside his own half, leaving Pochettino baffled at the decision.

"I think that the referee and the linesman were a little bit confused on the rule because when the pass got to Jan it was before he had got to the opponents' half, and it was a quick action, so maybe the referee was not focusing on the game," he said.

"It was difficult because if it had been 1-1 and this decision had decided the game, maybe I would be in a different mood.

"At 3-1 it would have finished the game but we need to remember that we are all human and we all make mistakes."

He added: "I don't like to speak to officials when the game is finished. It's impossible to change the decision and I understand it's not an easy job."

Aside from the disallowed goal, Pochettino was happy with what he saw at White Hart Lane, singling out match-winner Eriksen for particular praise.

"I'm happy for him - he has big, big potential and he's improving every day," the Tottenham coach added.

"I'm happy for his performance but more happy for the team performance. I think we were better than Sunderland and deserved to get the three points and now we need to look forward and prepare for the [League Cup] semi-final on Wednesday [against Sheffield United]. It's impossible to take time off and we now need to think about it."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp job safe, says Fernandes

19 January 2015

774562header.jpg

Poor form had led to speculation that QPR boss Harry Redknapp would be sacked, but chairman Tony Fernandes has confirmed his job is safe.

Tony Fernandes has confirmed that Harry Redknapp will remain as QPR manager following talk that the 67-year-old was facing the sack.

Speculation had mounted in recent weeks that Fernandes was ready to dismiss former Tottenham boss Redknapp with QPR struggling in the Premier League drop zone.

Redknapp laughed off the rumours in the wake of QPR's 2-0 defeat to Manchester United at Loftus Road on Saturday, claiming he had been given no indication by Fernandes that his position was under threat.

And Fernandes has now moved to reaffirm his commitment to Redknapp - who led QPR back to the Premier League via the play-offs last season - and is confident he has the right man to ensure survival in the top tier.

"There's been a lot of rumours about Harry's position being under threat, so I thought it was time to end all the speculation, so everyone can focus on the challenge ahead," Fernandes said in a club statement on Monday.

"I firmly believe Harry is the best man to get us out of the position we currently find ourselves in.

"He has great experience and having spoken to him at length over the last week or so, he is determined to turn this around and help us maintain our Premier League status.

"This is Harry's squad of players, so he is the man to move us forward."

Fernandes also stated his belief that QPR's players are fully supportive of Redknapp in their battle for survival.

He added: "The performance against Manchester United showed the players are behind him and that they have the stomach for the fight.

"We know we need to improve our away form and Harry, his coaching staff and the squad will be doing all they can to turn around our fortunes on our travels.

"It's very tight in the table and we will do our best to strengthen where we can to give us the best possible chance.

"The fans have been brilliant all season and all I ask is that they continue to back Harry and the team."

QPR remain the only team in the top four divisions of English football to not have picked up a single point away from home this season, and their next Premier League game sees them visit Stoke City on January 31.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool confident of beating Chelsea

825152_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Jan 19, 2015 18:54:00

The Blues were victorious at Anfield earlier in the season, but the former Swansea boss believes his side are in a better place now as they chase a place in the League Cup final

Brendan Rodgers has warned Chelsea that they will face a different Liverpool in Tuesday's League Cup semi-final first leg than the one they beat earlier in the season.

The Reds welcome Jose Mourinho's Premier League leaders to Anfield for the second time this season, with Chelsea having emerged 2-1 winners in the top flight clash in November.

That fixture was part of a run of four straight defeats for a Liverpool side who struggled in the early stages of the season after going so close to winning the title last term.

Manager Rodgers has seen his side improve vastly recently, though, and they head into Tuesday's match unbeaten in their last eight games in all competitions.

While acknowledging the strength of Chelsea's squad, Rodgers is confident of progressing over the two-legged tie and insists his target for this season remains winning a trophy and qualifying for the Champions League.

"We know if you want to win the competition you have to beat the best teams," Rodgers told reporters. "We are developing and improving as season goes on and we are full of confidence.

"When we last played them, we weren't in a good moment but we're developing, improving and confidence is very high.

"Chelsea are in a really strong position. They have a very experienced squad of players who are playing well. They are five points clear [in the Premier League] but there is still a long way to go.

"Our objective is still to win a trophy and qualify for the Champions League. A trophy would help build for the future. Chelsea have shown that once you win a trophy you can go on and sustain it. But the first trophy is always the hardest."

Rodgers, a former youth and reserve team manager at Chelsea, insists that all will not be lost even if Liverpool fail to win the first leg on home turf.

"We have spoken about the fact it is a different type of game," he added. "You don't need to open up too much. We want to win, but the tie won't be won or lost in the first game.

"We know we'll have to deal with pressure at moments in the game but the most important thing is to make sure we are in a good position in the second leg.

"These are the games that excite you and it is an opportunity to win a trophy. If we do that it is an opportunity to bring these players on."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho tells Chelsea fans: Don't disrespect Gerrard

832802_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Jan 19, 2015 13:50:00

Blues supporters still taunt the Liverpool captain about his fateful slip in last season's title race but the Portuguese believes the 34-year-old deserves better

Jose Mourinho has told Chelsea fans to show Steven Gerrard some respect in Tuesday's League Cup semi-final first leg clash with Liverpool at Anfield.

Gerrard has long been a target for Blues supporters, having been the enduring symbol of Liverpool from the moment the rivalry between the two clubs began to intensify during Mourinho's first spell at Stamford Bridge.

But the relentless abuse faced by the former England international has ramped up since last season's Premier League title run-in, when he slipped and gifted the ball to Demba Ba for the opening goal of a game that saw Chelsea deal Liverpool's hopes of a first league title since 1990 a devastating blow.

Chelsea fans have created a mocking chant about the incident, but Mourinho insists he doesn't want to hear it when the two sides face off in the first of a two-legged clash for a place at Wembley on Tuesday.

"He’s a historic player for Liverpool, a historic player for the Premier League," the Blues boss told reporters. "He’s an opponent I always admired and respected. There is a song that my fans have that I don’t like at all.

"A couple of times it’s good fun but to go and go and go, especially when a player like him deserves respect, we don’t need that."

Earlier this month Gerrard confirmed he will leave Liverpool at the end of this season to join MLS champions LA Galaxy, prompting many to take stock of the 34-year-old's remarkable career.

Following Chelsea's impressive 5-0 win over Swansea City on Saturday, Mourinho allowed himself to wonder what might have been had Gerrard not spurned the chance to move to Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2005.

"I was dreaming of Claude Makelele, Gerrard and Frank Lampard," he added.

"We were playing in an open triangle without a No 10, we were playing with Maka in front of the defenders and me and Mr Abramovich and Peter Kenyon were dreaming of that.

"We did everything to get him. It was almost there. But the decision for me was proven right because he will be always a red forever. Gerrard’s people were open to it and the feeling to join a top side like Chelsea, I think the feeling was there but to me personally he never said 'I will go'.

"I love these quotes when he was saying that in this life he would never score against Liverpool. I understand why he was almost coming to Chelsea and he didn’t."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Origi set to remain at Lille - Rodgers

19 January 2015

774517header.jpg

Divock Origi had been expected to bring his move to Liverpool forward to January, but Brendan Rodgers expects him to stay at Lille.

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are unlikely to bring Divock Origi's move from Lille forward to January.

Liverpool tied up a deal to sign Origi last July, but it was agreed that the Belgium striker would remain with Ligue 1 club Lille on loan for the duration of the 2014-15 season.

Reports circulated in the lead-up to the transfer window that Rodgers was keen to bring the 19-year-old to Merseyside this month to bolster his attacking options for the second half of the campaign.

However, with Daniel Sturridge closing in on his long-awaited return to action and having recalled Jordon Ibe from his loan spell with Derby County, Rodgers expects Origi to stay put in January.

"That was the original deal [for the player to remain with Lille this season]," the Northern Irishman told talkSPORT on Monday.

"There were a few discussions between the clubs in January to see where it was at, but the likelihood is he'll stay at Lille."

Rodgers went on to reiterate his excitement at the prospect of welcoming Origi, who shot to global fame with his impressive showings at the World Cup in Brazil last year, to Anfield ahead of next season.

"I think he's a real exciting young talent - you saw him in the World Cup," he added.

"He's got everything...he's suited to the Premier League.

"He can play through the middle or on the side. Everything is set up for him to come here and do well."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao ready to prove his worth

19 January 2015

774605header.jpg

On-loan striker Radamel Falcao insists he is fully fit and ready to prove his worth at Manchester United after returning at QPR.

Radamel Falcao has insisted that he is fully fit and ready to show why Manchester United brought him to Old Trafford in a big-money loan move.

Colombia striker Falcao has endured a frustrating start to his career with the Premier League club, scoring only three goals in 14 appearances for Louis van Gaal's side since making the switch from Monaco.

The 28-year-old former Atletico Madrid man joined United following a long spell on the sidelines with a knee injury which ruled him out of the World Cup.

Falcao was last week challenged by Van Gaal to prove himself after being left out of the squad for a 1-0 Premier League defeat against Southampton and was back in the starting line-up in Saturday's 2-0 win at struggling QPR.

After coming through 90 minutes against Harry Redknapp's side, Falcao stressed that he is not carrying an injury and is ready to rediscover the prolific form that earned him a reputation of being one the top strikers in world football.

He said: "I am fine. I feel really good. I am playing without any sort of fitness problems.

"It was a very 90 very important minutes for me. I need to play and I am very happy that I did. Obviously I really hope to score soon but the opportunities will come, I am sure of that."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bruce rules out Gestede signing

19 January 2015

774495header.jpg

Steve Bruce is keen to reinforce Hull City's depleted strikeforce, but a move for Blackburn Rovers' Rudy Gestede is not on the agenda.

Hull City manager Steve Bruce concedes that a deal to sign Blackburn Rovers striker Rudy Gestede is a "non-starter".

The Premier League strugglers have been hit by a series of injuries in recent weeks, with forwards Nikica Jelavic and Abel Hernandez among those sidelined.

There was a noticeable lack of composure in front of goal in Hull's 3-0 Premier League defeat at West Ham on Sunday and Bruce has made no secret of his desire to add to his striking options.

Blackburn's Gestede - who has 12 Championship goals this term - has been mooted as possible option.

Bruce admits an enquiry was made, but he stated that the two clubs differed in their opinion of the player's valuation.

"I called [Blackburn manager] Gary Bowyer two or three days ago to clarify the situation and we talked briefly," he said. "It was a non-starter before we got anywhere.

"I enquired about him and the answer came back not at the sort of figures we're talking about. It's not going to happen.

"It's always a key end of the pitch and you're only as good as your strikers. If they're fit and everyone's healthy, we're in a good place but they're not at the moment.

"That's one area we'll look to do something. There's one or two things going on at the moment but it's unlikely today or tomorrow so we'll go with what we've got.

"We have to make sure they can hit the ground running. It's an important time.

"It is going to be difficult. We're working every hour God sends to persuade someone to join us."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hull agree Ince compensation fee

440290_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jan 21, 2015 18:17:00

The winger joined the Tigers in the summer despite interest from Inter, though has spent time out on loan with Nottingham Forest since

Hull City will pay Blackpool up to €3 million (£2.3m) for Tom Ince after agreeing a compensation package with the Championship strugglers on Wednesday.

Ince moved to the KC Stadium in July after impressing during a loan spell in the Premier League with Crystal Palace last season.

The 22-year-old was out of contract at Bloomfield Road and opted to join Hull as he looked to establish himself as a top-flight player.

Blackpool were entitled to compensation from Hull due to his age and the two clubs have finally agreed a deal without the need of a tribunal.

"A compensation package has been agreed with Blackpool for the signing of Tom Ince without the need of a tribunal," Hull confirmed on their official website.

"Hull City will pay up to £2.3m for the 22-year-old, who signed for the club on a two-year deal in the summer."

Ince has struggled to make an impact for Steve Bruce's side, though, with just nine appearances in all competitions and a loan spell at Nottingham Forest in the current campaign.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hart: Man City can still catch Chelsea

743212_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jan 21, 2015 14:36:00

The champions fell further behind Jose Mourinho's side with their defeat to Arsenal on Sunday, but he believes a win at Stamford Bridge in their next league game is possible

Joe Hart remains confident that Manchester City can overturn Chelsea's lead in the Premier League and lift a third title in four seasons.

Defeat to Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium last weekend saw City fall five points adrift of the leaders, with the two set to meet in the league on January 31.

However, Hart is not pushing the panic button just yet and remains convinced City have the quality and strength of character to cut the gap.

"It's the Premier League - it's happened to us many times before when we've won it," he is quoted as saying in the Manchester Evening News. "It's happened one too many times this season, but all is not lost.

"We are confident. Sometimes stuff happens - you lose games. It wasn't down to a lack or effort or lack of ability - a penalty and a set-piece has cost us.

"We have performed well for the majority of the season. Sometimes it happens, but we will bounce back.

"There's a long way to go. We've got Middlesbrough in the FA Cup - we are looking to win that again. That was a great feeling a couple of years ago.

"Then we go to Chelsea and we put right what happened on Sunday."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Routledge out for four weeks

20 January 2015

775307header.jpg

Swansea City have suffered an injury blow with the news that winger Wayne Routledge will be out for four weeks with a calf problem.

Swansea City will be without Wayne Routledge for four weeks after he sustained a calf injury in Saturday's 5-0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea.

The winger picked up the injury in the first half of the Premier League meeting at the Liberty Stadium and was substituted shortly after the half-hour mark.

Routledge's absence is a blow to Garry Monk's men, although there was better news with the returning to training of Jefferson Montero and Leon Britton.

Winger Montero trained in full for the first time since suffering a hamstring injury against Aston Villa on Boxing Day.

Midfielder Britton, meanwhile, missed the game against Chelsea with a slight groin strain.

Captain Ashley Williams is likely to miss Swansea's FA Cup fourth round tie with Blackburn Rovers on Saturday with a shoulder injury, but the defender is expected to be back in training next week.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho jokes at Gerrard signing

21 January 2015

775527header.jpg

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard could be a loan target for Chelsea once he leaves Anfield, Jose Mourinho has joked.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has joked that he could try and sign Steven Gerrard once the veteran leaves Liverpool.

The Liverpool captain - who nearly joined Chelsea in 2005 - will end an association of more than 20 years at Anfield when he joins the Los Angeles Galaxy later this year.

By doing so, the ex-England skipper will follow in the footsteps of Frank Lampard - the Chelsea legend who left for MLS outfit New York City last year.

Chelsea's Premier League rivals, Manchester City - who own New York City - swooped to sign Lampard on loan and the midfielder has been an excellent addition for Manuel Pellegrini's side.

And after Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Chelsea in the first leg of their League Cup semi-final on Tuesday, Mourinho was quizzed about Gerrard's departure.

When asked if he would try and convince Gerrard to remain in England, Mourinho told the BBC: "Or to get him on loan."

He added: "I'm not happy he leaves [England]. I would love the Premier League to keep always the best players.

"I think he has more than enough quality to play in the Premier League.

"In spite [of the fact] he's my opponent, I feel sorry that he's leaving."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho plays down Cuadrado speculation

836252_heroa.jpg

Jan 23, 2015 13:12:00

Reports suggest the Blues are willing to activate the £26.8 million release clause of the Colombian if either Mohamed Salah or Andre Schurrle depart Stamford Bridge

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has played down the possibility of the Premier League leaders signing Fiorentina winger Juan Cuadrado in the January transfer window.

Reports in recent days have suggested the Blues are willing to activate the £26.8 million release clause of the Colombian if either Mohamed Salah or Andre Schurrle depart Stamford Bridge this month.

But while Mourinho refused to guarantee that the out-of-favour duo will stay at Chelsea, he insisted Cuadrado was not a current target.

"There are no men marked [to come in]," he told reporters when specifically asked about a move for the 26-year-old.

"He's a Fiorentina player. You ask me 20 names, if I don't know them, trouble. My son knows them! It's my job.

"I think he fits well in the Fiorentina squad, and the Colombia squad, not in the Chelsea squad."

Asked if Schurrle and Salah would definitely be staying, he said: "I cannot say that. Window is open. I like them, I need them, I trust them.

"Salah is selected for tomorrow [versus Bradford]. Schurrle is the same. Selected for tomorrow."

When pressed on Schurrle's situation, Mourinho responded: "The principle is we would like him to stay... the question is to have a phenomenal offer and player super keen to go."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers eager to keep Johnson and Lucas

23 January 2015

776724header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is eager for experienced duo Glen Johnson and Lucas Leivas to sign new contracts with Liverpool.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is determined to keep Glen Johnson and Lucas Leiva at Anfield beyond the end of this season.

Defender Johnson is in the final year of their contracts and has been linked with a move away from the Premier League club this month, while Lucas is reportedly attracting interest from Serie A outfit Inter.

However, Rodgers insists both players still have a role to play on Merseyside.

He said: "We can't have three or four leaving next season. The intention will be to keep everyone, partly because of the mix in the group.

"Steven [Gerrard] will obviously be a loss, when you are losing someone of that calibre of man and player it would be a loss to any club, but you move on.

"For the younger players to develop their potential they are going to need that seniority around them. You can't just have a whole group of young players.

"Glen Johnson we want to keep, Lucas we want to keep."

Rodgers sees no reason why Johnson would opt to move on and is hopeful the full-back will commit his future to the club.

The Liverpool boss added: "I know the club and his (Johnson's) agents spoke towards the beginning of the season but I am hopeful he will stay and we can find a solution so he can be here.

"Obviously, like every player, you want that security and it sorted earlier than it is now.

"But when he looks at it he realises he is at one of the biggest clubs in the world with a team which is developing and growing that he would want to be a part of.

"I think he will try to find a solution with the club to stay here. He loves being here, he enjoys working with the way we are playing.

"His game will adapt over the next couple of years. He is not the marauding full-back of six or seven years ago but he is still a quality player and he has a lot to offer with his experience and football.

"He is one we would look to keep."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger calls for work permit changes

23 January 2015

776701header.jpg

Arsene Wenger calls for a change in ruling on work permits, revealing red tape ensured he was unable to sign Angel di Maria as a teenager.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called for work permit restrictions to be relaxed and revealed red tape denied Arsenal the chance to sign Angel di Maria as a teenager.

Wenger is hoping to secure a January deal for Villarreal centre-back Gabriel Paulista, but will need international clearance from the Home Office in order to bring in the 24-year-old Brazilian.

The Frenchman has called the regulations into question, picking out Manchester United's record signing Di Maria an example of a player he wanted to sign at the age of 17 but was unable to get a work permit.

He told reporters: "Ideally it would be to open it completely: anyone can come in, because at the moment we are in a position where they force you to spend money on a player who sometimes you have identified.

"We had identified Di Maria when he was 17. We wanted him to come here but he goes to Portugal and from Portugal he goes to Spain.

"Why? Because he could not get a work permit. That means that he can only come to England once he's worth a huge amount of money.

"What does it mean if, at the end of the day, he comes into the country anyway, with the only difference being it's for a huge amount of money?

"And who do you pay that to? A club like Real Madrid, who don't need the money."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea send Chalobah and Marin out on loan

22 January 2015

776448header.jpg

Chelsea duo Nathaniel Chalobah and Marko Marin will spend the remainder of the season out on loan.

Chelsea have opted to send fringe players Nathaniel Chalobah and Marko Marin on loan for the remainder of the season.

Chalobah, who had a temporary spell with Burnley this term, has dropped down a division to join Championship outfit Reading.

Marin, meanwhile, has ventured to Belgium to link up with Pro League champions Anderlecht, having been at Fiorentina before the turn of the year, featuring in four matches exclusively in the UEFA Europa League.

The versatile Chalobah, who can operate in defence or midfield, has also spent time at Watford, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough.

He is a product of Chelsea's academy, but the England Under-21 international yet to make his first-team debut for the club.

Marin, 25, moved to Stamford Bridge from Werder Bremen in 2012, but has featured in just six Premier League games.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea complete Naughton signing

22 January 2015

776437header.jpg

Swansea City have completed the signing of Kyle Naughton from Tottenham on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

Kyle Naughton has completed his move from Tottenham to Swansea City, signing a three-and-a-half-year deal with the Welsh club.

Swansea boss Garry Monk said earlier on Thursday that a deal to bring Naughton to the Liberty Stadium was imminent, and the 26-year-old has now put pen to paper after completing his medical.

The full-back told Swansea's official website: "I'm pleased it's all done because there has been talk since the summer over a potential move.

"My main aim is to start playing regular football again. I know it's going to be a tough challenge because there are some very good players here, but that's my goal.

"I've had quite a few loan moves over my career, but I actually played 34 games last season for Spurs, which is a fair amount. The main problem for me, however, was that I was still in and out of the team. That's difficult at times.

"I'm sad to be leaving Spurs because it's a great club. I was there quite a while and the lads are a great bunch. But now I just want to settle into life at Swansea and try to play regularly. It all comes down to playing football – after all, that's my job."

Naughton made 74 appearances for Tottenham after joining from Sheffield United in July 2009.

He becomes Swansea's third new recruit of the January transfer window after Nelson Oliveira and Matt Grimes also moved to south Wales.

Naughton is available for selection in the club's FA Cup fourth-round tie at Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

New Liverpool deal for Sterling ´imminent´

22 January 2015

776355header.jpg

Liverpool are on the verge of agreeing fresh terms with forward Raheem Sterling, according to manager Brendan Rodgers.

Raheem Sterling and Liverpool are close to agreeing terms on a new contract, Brendan Rodgers confirmed on Thursday.

Sterling's current deal is due to expire at the end of the 2016-17 season, with the player and club widely reported to be in talks over an extension in recent weeks.

And manager Rodgers says he expects the details to be finalised in the near future.

"The club are speaking to Sterling's representatives," he said.

"I would think that would be completed very imminently. The player is very happy."

Daniel Sturridge, who has suffered with a combination of calf and thigh injuries for much of the season, will not be available for Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Bolton Wanderers, and Rodgers confirmed he will make alterations for the clash at Anfield.

"We'll make some changes," he said. "But we want to win. We'll look at our squad and it's there to make changes, but not too many.

"Jordan Rossiter will be involved. We have some great young players.

"The academy has done a wonderful job aligning players to our philosophy."

After challenging Manchester City in the Premier League title race last season, Liverpool have been well short of that scintillating form in 2014-15, but Rodgers believes that next season could see them return to the upper echelons of the table.

"This season was always going to be difficult for us," he said. "We weren't going to challenge for the league this year. That was the reality.

"Next season we will be able to challenge for the league again."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis confirms Fletcher interest

22 January 2015

776370header.jpg

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis has confirmed he is looking at the possibility of signing Manchester United's Darren Fletcher.

Tony Pulis has confirmed he is looking at the prospect of bringing Darren Fletcher to West Brom from Manchester United.

The Scotland international has seen appearances limited at Old Trafford this season, with just four Premier League starts under Louis van Gaal in 2014-15.

Pulis revealed in a press conference on Thursday that West Brom had registered their interest in the player, but that the club were waiting for Fletcher to weigh up his options.

"He is talking to three or four clubs. We showed an interest and he'll make a decision and we'll wait and see," Pulis said.

The head coach, who took over from Alan Irvine on New Year's Day, said that West Brom were in talks with Wigan Athletic about a possible deal for Callum McManaman, before bemoaning the lack of time available to him in the January window.

He added: "It's the most difficult window I've had because I've not had time to get things in place."