• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heat will favour Colombia - Martinez

424990_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Jun 24, 2014 2:25:00 PM

The striker feels the sweltering conditions will be of benefit to his nation against a side who have disappointed so far in the competition

Colombia’s Jackson Martinez believes the scorching conditions in Cuiaba will favour his nation against Japan on Tuesday.

Japan, who started their World Cup campaign with a 2-1 defeat to Ivory Coast before playing out a goalless draw with Greece in their second game, could still qualify for the last-16 stage with a win over Colombia.

The South American outfit, who have already secured a place in the second round, top the group having won both their opening games, and Martinez hopes the climate will send them on their way to a third win.

"I think the weather will play a key role," Martinez said. “But what causes upsets in football is how well you play. So whether it is hot or cold it is important that we concentrate on our game plan applied by the coach.

"Japan is a strong team physically. They are players that have been characterised by giving everything until the end, so we must focus on continuing the good work that we have done."

Defender Cristian Zapata highlighted Japan's speed in offensive areas as a threat Colombia will have to guard against, but also maintained the need to focus on their own game.

"We must think only of the next game," the defender told reporters. "We cannot worry about other opponents even when we face Japan's strong national team, which has great players.

"We cannot delude ourselves. Their team has a lot more quality than their results have shown. They have a lot of speed and tactical discipline. It will be a great game.

"[But] we have a course of action for each opponent we face. We have not had a final conversation with our coaching staff [yet], but certainly they have prepared something.

"We need to continue with the same humility to continue advancing."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't blame defeat on me - Shaqiri

419449_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Jun 24, 2014 3:10:00 PM

The winger has hit back at the media following criticism of his performance against France, insisting that he is part of a team and should not be blamed for the result

Xherdan Shaqiri has told the media to stop trying to blame Switzerland's 5-2 defeat to France on him and says he cannot win games single-handedly.

Switzerland have one win and one defeat from their opening two matches, with Shaqiri unquestionably the biggest name in Ottmar Hitzfeld's squad.

But the Bayern Munich winger is the reluctant focus of media attention and has hit back at criticism of his performance against France on Friday.

Elaborating on those comments at a media conference on Monday, Shaqiri said: "I am satisfied with my performance.

"[But] one must not expect me to decide the games alone. The team needs me, I need the team.

"I do not care what is written about me. It is not all dependent on me. It annoys me.

"I cannot dribble from the back to the front. We are Switzerland, not Spain, not Brazil. Switzerland needs to be successful as a team."

Switzerland meet Honduras in their final Group E fixture on Wednesday and need to better Ecuador's result against France to be sure of progression.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Faryd Mondragon in line to become to become World Cup’s oldest player

427079_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Jun 24, 2014 4:01:00 PM

The 43-year-old is hoping to make history by taking to the field for Colombia in their final group game against Japan

On Tuesday evening Colombia goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon could become the oldest player to play at a World Cup.

Capped 55 times for his country, the veteran custodian celebrated his 43rd birthday on June 21 and is in contention to make an appearance in his nation's final group game against Japan.

Coach Jose Perkerman is set to make changes to his starting XI after victories over Greece and Ivory Coast saw his side earn a place in the last-16 with one game to spare.

"Pekerman convinced me to continue playing. I will never forget that. If it wasn't for him, I would have retired two years ago,” said Mondragon, who was an unused member of the squad in 1994 but played all three group games in 1998.

“I feel privileged to be here, it was my best birthday ever.”

The current record-holder for the oldest World Cup appearance belongs to Cameroon’s Roger Milla, who played at the age of 42 years, one month and eight days.

However, despite being on the brink of making tournament history, Pekerman refused to confirm whether he would field the veteran.

“While I'm aware of the situation I have to analyse the entire squad,” he said.

“If it happens it would be nice, but is the not prime objective before the game.”

Mondragon, who left Deportivo Cali at the end of last season, is set to retire after the tournament in Brazil, bringing to an end a 24-year career that brought two league titles with Galatasaray and a Copa Libertadores with Independiente.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oscar: Chile a tough proposition

428007_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 8:00:00 AM

The Brazil midfielder is well aware of the threat posed by Jorge Sampaoli's side and praised his side's performance in their 4-1 thrashing of Cameroon on Monday

Oscar says he is expecting a real challenge when Brazil meet Chile in their World Cup round of 16 clash on June 28.

The Selecao booked their clash with la Roja with victories over Croatia and Cameroon either side of a goalless draw with Mexico, which saw them qualify as Group A winners.

Chile have impressed with victories over Australia and reigning world champions Spain and Oscar is well aware of the threat they pose to the World Cup hosts.

"At the World Cup, everyone has to face up and beat everyone,” he told Sportv.

“Chile are very strong opponent, but we'll be prepared.”

The Chelsea man also praised his side’s performance in their 4-1 victory over Cameroon in Brasilia on Monday night.

"It was especially good for us as a collective," he said.

"Everyone was trying to press and mark tightly in the other games, but it was not working.

"We could do it today. We pressed and intercepted some important balls. We got it at the right time."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Javier Hernandez not thinking about impressing Louis van Gaal when Mexico face Holland at World Cup

Manchester United striker insists he is only concerned about beating the Dutch when the two sides clash in the last 16

Hernandez_2952729b.jpg

Focused: Javier Hernandez says he is looking forward to seeing his United team-mate Robin van Persie Photo: REUTERS

By Jim White
1:06PM BST 24 Jun 2014

Javier Hernandez insisted yesterday that the pairing of Holland and Mexico in the last 16 of this World Cup is not simply an opportunity for him to impress his new club manager, Louis van Gaal.

Speaking after scoring one of the goals which set up the encounter, the Manchester United forward didn’t need reminding when it was pointed out to him who would be in the opposition technical area.

“Yes, it’s him next. I know,” he smiled. “But he is the Dutch manager and I am a Mexico player, so there is nothing else.”

If Hernandez were looking to register his qualities with the new boss, he could not do better than replicate his effort against Croatia in Recife last night. It was the classic Hernandez performance. The Mexican manager Miguel Herrera sent the forward on a substitute midway through the second half, noting that his opponents were leaving increasing gaps at the back as they pressed for required victory. And the United man’s counter attacking prowess paid speedy dividends.

He was involved in the build up to the first goal and scored the second, his movement and pace causing the hapless Croats endless problems. Up in the stands, among the thousands of celebrating Mexicans who had travelled south to cheer on the team, chucking their sombreros into the air, was Hernandez’s grandfather.

“Not many people can say their granddad was there to watch them score in the World Cup,” he beamed.

But he was anxious to quash the theory put to him that a goal here in Brazil must do the world of good for his confidence, jarred as it was by a season of stop-start disappointment in the Premier League.

“No, my confidence was there,” he said. “If I did not have confidence, I would not be here at the World Cup, I would not have come on, I would not have the faith of Miguel, I would not have scored a goal. If I had lost confidence during this complicated period, I would not be here.”

He then added, in perhaps a veiled allusion to Van Gaal’s predecessor at Old Trafford, David Moyes:

“There have been very few people who have lost confidence in me, but not me and not the people close to me.”

One of those close to him is Herrera. The Mexican manager has restored morale in a squad that appeared to be on the verge of disintegration eighteen months ago. Now they have progressed from the group stage second on goal difference behind Brazil. A position that would have been improved, according to the manager, had they not suffered from some poor refereeing decisions.

“We’re hurting with the referees,” said Herrera. “We lose goals and don’t get penalties. Two penalties we should have had today. And it seems to me yellow cards are much easier to earn if you’re Mexican.”

One of the cards that were flourished in his team’s direction against Croatia has ruled his captain Rafael Marquez out of the game against the Dutch. Mind, if Herrera needs any advice on how to counter the most potent attacking weapon in the Dutch side, he need only ask Hernandez. After all, the player has spent a long time on the bench over the past couple of seasons studying his United team mate Robin van Persie.

“Actually it will be great to see him,” he said of the pair’s meeting on Sunday in Fortaleza. “We have spent two good years together and we won a league together. He is one of the best in the world and it will be nice to see him.”

It will be even nicer if Mexico spring the surprise of the tournament and win.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

World Cup 2014: USA will not play for a draw in match against Germany, insists manager Jurgen Klinsmann

Germany manager Joachim Löw worked under Klinsmann at the 2006 World Cup, but the man now in charge of USA says there will be 'no time for friendship'

Klinsmann_2951171b.jpg

Familiar faces: Jurgen Klinsmann and Joachim Low worked together for the German national side at the 2006 World Cup Photo: AFP

By Mark Ogden, in Manaus
7:18AM BST 23 Jun 2014

Jurgen Klinsmann was unequivocal. It was the first question that came his way following the USA’s dramatic draw against Portugal, but he stared his inquisitor down when asked how his next conversation with Joachim Löw would play out.

“There is no time for friendship calls,” Klinsmann said. “This is all about business now. There will be no such call.”

With Silvestre Varela’s 95th minute goal for Portugal preventing the Americans from confirming their place in the second round of the World Cup, Klinsmann’s team will face Germany in Recife on Thursday knowing that a draw will ensure both nations progress to the knock-out stages.

No matter what happens between Ghana and Portugal in Brasilia at the same time, a stalemate in Recife will be the decisive result in Group G.

It is an uncomfortable reality for Klinsmann, however. Not only does he count Germany coach Löw as a close friend – Löw was Klinsmann’s assistant manager at the 2006 World Cup – the Germans have history when it comes to dubious results in the tournament.

Which is why the second question Klinsmann faced, from a German journalist, asked whether we could expect another ‘Gijon’ in Recife.

At the 1982 World Cup, West Germany faced Austria in their final group game knowing that a 1-0 victory would take them through to the next stage and prove a small enough defeat for the Austrians to accompany them at Algeria’s expense.

West Germany won 1-0, with a tenth minute Horst Hrubesch goal, and the game proceeded to become known as the ‘Shame of Gijon’, with Algeria furious at the perceived lack of effort delivered by both teams following Hrubesch’s goal.

Even the Austrians did little to deny that a favourable result had been played out to suit the European neighbours.

So when asked about Gijon, there could only be one answer, but Klinsmann was forceful in his response.

“You are talking about a game that happened decades ago,” he said. “It is part of German history, not United States history.

“If you look at our history, we make things happen. If we didn’t, then Mexico wouldn’t be at this World Cup (because we beat Panama to help them qualify).

“We have that fighting spirit and energy and determination to do well in every single game.

“So I don’t think it will be a game for draws. Both teams will go into the game and want to win the group.

“We want to go at Germany, win the game, get seven points and be in the drivers’ seat for the next round.

“We could have been through already, but there is a lot of respect for our opponents and in two days from now, we will head to Recife and prepare for that match.

“I am very confident that we will do well in the game.”

Klinsmann’s American team is bolstered by five players with German heritage, adding to the connection between the two nations ahead of Thursday’s game.

Löw succeeded the former Tottenham forward – a World Cup winner with the Germans – in the wake of the 2006 World Cup, but Kkinsmann insists their friendship will be on hold until the game is played.

“Jogi does his job and I do mine,” Klinsmann said. “We are good friends, but we both just want to get ourselves in the last 16,

“Our goal is to go into the next round, I am not thinking about other peoples minds. We are going to take our game to Germany,

“If you see the team play as they did against Portugal, we are capable of surprising other teams and that is what we are going to do.

“We will get everybody excited and hungry for the Germany game. It won’t be difficult.

“The Portugal performance shows how far we have made it already and we can take that into the Germany game and show the progress we have made.

“We have one foot in the door of the second round. We just need to put the second foot in there now.”

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Greece 2-1 Cote d'Ivoire: Last-gasp Samaras penalty sends Santos' side through

428535_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 10:54:00 PM

Wilfried Bony's second-half equaliser looked set to send the Africans into the knockout phase but the striker's spot-kick in the dying seconds booked a clash with Costa Rica

Greece will face Costa Rica in the last 16 of the World Cup after a last-minute penalty from Georgios Samaras sealed a 2-1 win over Cote d'Ivoire on Tuesday.

Needing a win to qualify in Fortaleza on Tuesday, Greece left it late, with Samaras' 93rd-minute spot-kick sealing their progression in dramatic circumstances.

The penalty was given after the forward was tripped by Giovanni Sio and the Celtic man dusted himself down before scoring to Boubacar Barry's left.

A draw would have been enough for Cote d'Ivoire to progress and that looked likely when Wilfried Bony came off the bench to level proceedings with 16 minutes left.

Greece had initially taken the lead through Andreas Samaris – an early replacement for the injured Panagiotis Kone – in the 42nd minute.

They had also hit the bar earlier, through Jose Holebas, and the woodwork was to deny them again in the second half as Giorgos Karagounis saw his 35-yard strike bounce away to safety.

But Greece claimed a deserved win as Samaras kept his nerve, setting up a clash with Costa Rica in the round of 16.

Yaya and Kolo Toure both started, after deciding to stay in Brazil following the death of their brother, while captain Didier Drogba made his first start of the tournament, replacing Bony.

Greece's start was thrown into disarray by two forced substitutions inside the first 30 minutes, as Kone and goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis suffered injuries.

But they almost took the lead in the 33rd minute from a quick break, as Holebas – played in following Samaras' well-weighted through-ball – saw his fierce strike come back off the crossbar.

The goal frame did not come to the rescue of Barry nine minutes later, though.

A stray pass from Cheick Tiote saw Samaris pounce, and he combined well with Samaras before coolly slotting past the goalkeeper.

Cote d'Ivoire continued to control possession but failed to convert it into regular chances, as their opponents looked more decisive in attack.

Greece's threat on the counter only grew as the second half progressed and Cote d'Ivoire were rescued by the bar for a second time with 22 minutes to go, when captain Karagounis tried his luck from 35 yards.

The introduction of Bony gave the Africans another dimension and after wasting a pair of half-chances, the Swansea City forward drew his side level, producing a composed first-time finish after Gervinho's clever cut-back.

But it was the Greeks who looked more likely to score the winner, as Dimitrios Salpingidis flashed an effort wide, before Sio's foul gave Samaras the chance to be a hero.

And it was an opportunity he took with both hands, slotting past Barry to earn Fernando Santos' side a place in the next round.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Japan 1-4 Colombia: Jackson Martinez double sends Zaccheroni's side home

428504_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 10:53:00 PM

Jose Pekerman's charges sealed maximum points in Group C and booked a last-16 clash with Uruguay in a game which saw Faryd Mondragon make World Cup history

Colombia finished Group C with three wins from three as Jackson Martinez scored twice to seal a 4-1 win over Japan on Tuesday.

Jose Pekerman's side, so impressive in securing wins over Greece and Cote d'Ivoire earlier in the tournament, were already assured of qualification and knew a draw would be enough to secure their passage as group winners.

Japan, meanwhile, needed to win and hope the result between Cote d'Ivoire and Greece went their way in order to progress.

The South Americans hit the front shortly after the quarter-hour mark, Juan Cuadrado smashing home a penalty after Yasuyuki Konno had fouled Adrian Ramos.

Japan equalised on the stroke of half-time, Shinji Okazaki squeezing a header inside the near post to raise hopes of qualifying.

Yet Colombia then pulled clear in the second half, Jackson Martinez scoring twice following assists from half-time substitute James Rodriguez, who added a delightful late fourth.

Colombia will now take on Uruguay in the second round, while Japan exit the tournament having finished bottom of their group.

Japan made the stronger start as Colombia struggled to find their feet having made eight changes from their victory over Cote d'Ivoire.

However, it was the South Americans who went in front after 17 minutes, following their first real foray forward.

Konno needlessly brought down Ramos inside the area, and Cuadrado dispatched the spot-kick, prompting further choreographed celebrations from the Colombians.

Japan responded well, Shinji Kagawa creating space on the edge of the box before firing in a low shot which was tipped behind by David Ospina.

Keisuke Honda was the next man to go close, sending a dipping free kick narrowly wide of the right-hand post in the 33rd minute.

Colombia ought to have doubled their lead three minutes before the interval, Martinez firing wide of the target from 14 yards after being picked out by Ramos.

They were made to rue that miss soon afterwards, with Okazaki flicking home Honda's right-wing cross with the final touch of the half.

Half-time substitute Carlos Carbonero wasted a golden chance to restore Colombia's advantage in the 54th minute, stabbing the ball over the crossbar after a devilish ball in from fellow replacement James.

It mattered little as Martinez made it 2-1 a minute later, taking a touch and firing low beyond Eiji Kawashima after a nicely-weighted pass from James inside the area.

Eder Alvarez Balanta was perhaps lucky to escape punishment after his forearm struck the face of Okazaki in the corner, drawing blood from the nose of the Japan goalscorer.

Honda continued to pose a threat from set-pieces, bringing a save out of Ospina with a rasping free kick in the 64th minute.

Yoshito Okubo went close a minute later, meeting Atsuto Uchida's low cross at pace only to see his close-range effort fly over the bar.

Martinez doubled his tally eight minutes from time with a cool finish, and moments later Kagawa summed up a disappointing campaign for the Japanese by firing wide with just Ospina to beat from close range.

There was a notable moment five minutes before the end, as 43-year-old goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon - retiring after the tournament - was brought on in place of Ospina to become the oldest player in World Cup history.

James, one of the players of the tournament so far, showed his class in the 90th minute to round off the scoring, turning Maya Yoshida inside out and dinking an impudent finish over Kawashima, before Mondragon made an injury-time save to deny Yoichiro Kakitani.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Italy 0-1 Uruguay: Godin dumps 10-man Azzurri out of World Cup

428368_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 6:54:00 PM

The Atletico Madrid centre-back scored late on to clinch a last-16 berth at the expense of Cesare Prandelli's side, as Luis Suarez was embroiled in yet more controversy

Diego Godin struck late on to send Uruguay into the last-16 of the World Cup and dump 10-man Italy out of the tournament, but Luis Suarez stole the headlines for all the wrong reasons yet again.

The Liverpool forward appeared to bite the shoulder of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini towards the end of Tuesday's match in Natal.

Diego Godin subsequently bundled in a corner for the game's only goal, sending Uruguay through to the last-16 at Italy's expense.

Yet Suarez's apparent indiscipline is likely to grab the headlines, with the 27-year-old having been involved in biting incidents before at both Liverpool and Ajax.

Italy, who needed only a point to qualify alongside Costa Rica, were hampered by the 59th-minute dismissal of Claudio Marchisio, for a high tackle on Egidio Arevalo.

They will now be left to rue another first-round exit at the World Cup, their second in succession, while Uruguay await the winner of Group C.

It remains to be seen whether Suarez will receive punishment for his apparent bite, with Fifa able to examine his tangle with Chiellini should they feel disciplinary action is warranted.

Prior to the late drama, Italy looked set to do enough to shut out their opponents as they soaked up pressure with relative comfort.

The match began with a host of full-blooded challenges, perhaps unsurprisingly given the prize at stake.

Mario Balotelli will have had Italy worried when he began to limp after a heavy challenge, while Suarez and Chiellini were also on the receiving end of physical collisions in a feisty opening.

The crowd had to wait until the 12th minute to see an effort on target, when Andrea Pirlo fired a dipping free-kick that Fernando Muslera needed to tip over, and the remainder of the opening half-hour passed by with little action of note.

Gianluigi Buffon was then called on to deny Suarez and Christian Lodeiro from close range following intricate build-up play, while Martin Caceres struck an audacious effort way wide from distance.

Cavani's appeal for a penalty was waved away following a tangle with Leonardo Bonucci before Cristian Rodriguez wasted a golden opportunity for Uruguay.

Suarez clipped a ball in to the Atletico Madrid man, who skewed an effort wide when through on goal.

Marchisio was handed a straight red shortly after and Suarez was quick to test the 10 men of Italy - bursting through the defence only to be denied by Buffon.

If that showed the Liverpool man's talent on the ball, his clash with Chiellini seemingly offered an insight into the less savoury side of Suarez's will to win.

The Juve defender was eager to show referee Marco Rodriguez his shoulder and Italian tempers flared considerably after Godin headed in the winner.

Cesare Prandelli's side were unable to find an equaliser and questions over the actions of Suarez appear set to dominate the aftermath of Italy's elimination.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa Rica 0-0 England: Draw seals top spot for Pinto's men

428370_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jun 24, 2014 6:51:00 PM

Roy Hodgson shuffled his pack for the final group stage clash, resulting in a tame encounter that saw the Central American nation advance as group winners

England ended their World Cup campaign with a dour 0-0 draw against Costa Rica, as Jorge Pinto's side clinched top spot in Group D.

The tournament's surprise package thrilled with skill and ambition in shock wins over Uruguay and Italy that secured their passage to the last 16.

The pre-tournament outsiders found themselves in the unexpected position of being able to leave plenty in the tank in Belo Horizonte - an admirable achievement that did not make for an engaging spectacle.

Celso Borges had a first-half free-kick touched against the crossbar, while the bulk of England's chances fell to Daniel Sturridge - one of only two survivors from the line-up that lost the opening two matches.

The Liverpool striker found the prolific streak he displayed in the Premier League last season to have deserted him, and Roy Hodgson's team could take little from the contest aside from avoiding the ignominy of losing all three World Cup round-robin games for the first time in their history.

Uruguay's 1-0 win in a similarly scrappy encounter against Italy in Natal ensured that Group D claimed the scalps of two European teams.

Joel Campbell saw a speculative second-minute effort deflect wide and Costa Rica's control of the opening exchanges underlined the gulf in confidence between the two teams.

The 12th minute brought England's first sight of goal, with Sturridge whipping a shot narrowly wide of the target following bright build-up play by Jack Wilshere.

A 15th-minute Mexican wave rippling through the Estadio Mineirao said much for the lack of intensity in a game between one side already through to the round of 16 and another with their bags packed, before Sturridge tried his luck from distance once more.

Ben Foster was the first goalkeeper called into action when he superbly tipped Borges’ free-kick behind via his crossbar.

Sturridge had a 27th-minute penalty claim rejected, going to ground under close attention from Oscar Duarte, and another half-chance fell the striker’s way, but he could not keep his header down after Phil Jones nodded Ross Barkley's corner back across goal.

Barkley fashioned space for himself in the 42nd minute, but his subsequent slice wide underscored a half desperately lacking in quality.

Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas was out to quickly to thwart Sturridge as Luke Shaw’s deflected 49th-minute shot looped into his path.

Shaw was fortunate not to join Adam Lallana and Barkley in the book amid a scrappy period as the hour approached, while Giancarlo Gonzalez was deservedly cautioned for scything through the latter.

Christian Bolanos looked to do something a touch more constructive when he stung Foster's palms from 20 yards, while Sturridge exchanged passes with Wilshere and wasted his clearest opportunity of the match in the 65th minute.

A flurry of late substitutions did not increase the entertainment factor as Costa Rica looked forward to a knockout clash against the runner-up in Group C - where Ivory Coast, Greece and Japan all retain ambitions of following likely winners Colombia into the knockout stages later today.

For England, who belatedly extended Navas when substitute Wayne Rooney sent a delicate 80th-minute chip goalwards, a grimly familiar period of reflection and attempted renewal awaits.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'The referee ruined the game' - Prandelli blasts Marchisio red card after Italy exit

428364_heroa.jpg

By Luis Herrera in Natal
Jun 24, 2014 7:52:00 PM

The midfielder was given his marching orders for a high tackle on Egidio Arevalo Rios in the second half, with Uruguay going on to knock the Azzurri out of the World Cup

Cesare Prendelli believes referee Marco Rodriguez "ruined" Italy's World Cup crunch clash with Uruguay by showing a straight red card to Claudio Marchisio in the second half.

Marchisio was sent off on 59 minutes after catching Egidio Arevalo Rios just below the knee with his studs, and the 10-man Azzurri went on to lose the match 1-0 to an 81st-minute Diego Godin header.

The result sees Italy crash out at the group stage for the second successive World Cup, and after the match Prandelli laid the blame for the defeat at the feet of Rodriguez rather than Marchisio.

"It didn't seem like a red card offence," he told Sky Sport Italia. "There were some tough tackles, but not worthy of a red card. It was a very balanced game, Uruguay never really had a shot on goal despite needing to win.

"It was a good match tactically and in my view the referee ruined it. He cannot give a red card in that situation, he just can't.

"We got the game with Costa Rica wrong and fought hard with Uruguay against two of the best strikers in the world, though they never caused us problems.

"It's a great shame that we go out in these circumstances."

Mario Balotelli endured a disappointing afternoon, being booked in the first half before being substituted at half-time, and Prandelli revealed he made the decision to try and avoid a red card for the striker.

"Balotelli can never understand when he's calm and stressed," the Italy coach added. "He needed to guarantee balance, but I replaced him because I was afraid we'd end up with 10 men."

Prandelli, who signed a two-year extension to continue as Italy coach prior to the World Cup, refused to speculate on what his team's early exit might mean for his future.

"You work four years and then one red card can change everything," he admitted. "Now we'll reflect on the situation and let you know."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chiellini: Biter Suarez should have seen red

428411_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 24, 2014 7:55:00 PM

The Italy defender was incensed by the referee's decision not to send off the striker for an alleged bite in his side's 1-0 defeat, accusing Fifa of "protecting" the Uruguayan

Giorgio Chiellini has hit out at referee Marco Rodriguez for failing to send off Luis Suarez for an alleged bite as Italy exited the World Cup with a 1-0 defeat to Uruguay on Tuesday.

Diego Godin's 81st-minute header settled a tense encounter, which also saw Italy midfielder Claudio Marchisio dismissed, to send the South Americans through and dump the Azzurri out.

However, the game's most contentious moment came when Chiellini clashed with Suarez, with the Juventus centre-half accusing the Liverpool forward of biting him and the officials of making a grave error.

"The game was decided by the referee," the 29-year-old told Sky Italia.

Bq6uNLTCAAAsdUa.png

"It's a shame because we deserved it [to go through]. During the first half there had been many situations with different treatments - the expulsion of Marchisio was ridiculous and that, along with the lack of punishment for Suarez, has changed everything.

"Eventually it proved decisive. Suarez is smart because Fifa allow it because they want to their champions to play. The referee saw everything, but did not have the courage.

"There are episodes that affect the game. The action is clear, they say that the referees are informed on the players, but obviously they are not."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is 'clear animosity' towards Suarez, claims Tabarez

103037_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 24, 2014 9:47:00 PM

The Uruguay coach insisted he did not see the striker's altercation with Giorgio Chiellini and dismissed the incident, saying that there were more important things to focus on

Oscar Tabarez refused to comment on Luis Suarez's alleged bite on Italy's Giorgio Chiellini, dismissing its significance in light of Uruguay's win.

La Celeste progressed to the knockout stages of the World Cup following a 1-0 victory in Natal with Diego Godin's header enough to secure a vital three points in Group D.

However, the incident between Suarez and Chiellini - in which the Liverpool star appeared to bite the defender's shoulder - has cast a shadow over the encounter, though Tabarez showed his evident frustration at the multiple questions he was asked on the matter.

"I want to see the pictures, I have not seen the incident and I think the referee did not see it," the 67-year-old told a press conference.

"For me and for all Uruguayans there were more important things in this game. Perhaps [Suarez] made mistakes, however, it is the goal for some to write about him: you just have to focus on when he is on the field and play. Instead, there is a clear animosity towards this player.

"I do not want to comment. Suarez for us it is a very important player, even as a person for the whole group: we'll see if that will be attacked, like I feel we are doing at this press conference, and we'll see how to defend it.

"This is a World Cup, not a time for cheap morality."

Uruguay are now looking to emulate their fourth-placed finish in the previous World Cup in South Africa and Tabarez spoke of his immense pride at still being in the competition.

"We tried to put in all the effort possible," he continued.

"We changed our positioning on the field, trying to counter the strengths of Italy in the middle of the field and the game of [Andrea] Pirlo. Versatility is one of our virtues.

"When [Claudio] Marchisio was sent off, we tried to put more pressure on the Azzurri and we were lucky enough to win. Prior to the England game we never would have dreamed of qualifying.

"At the time of the goal I felt something pop in my chest. The Uruguayans never lose the feelings that we have as children, it is difficult to explain with words, but I felt the need to embrace anyone beside me the same time."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez shrugs off Chiellini bite claim: These things happen in the area

428472_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 24, 2014 10:00:00 PM

The defender says the Liverpool attacker should have been sent off for allegedly biting him on the shoulder but the forward claims the incident has been blow out of all proportion

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has shrugged off the controversy surrounding his clash with Giorgio Chiellini in Tuesday's World Cup win over Italy, arguing that "these things happen inside the penalty area".

Diego Godin scored the only goal of the game with just nine minutes remaining in Natal, as the Celeste dramatically progressed to the last 16 at the expense of the Azzurri, who only needed a draw to go through.

However, Uruguay's success has already been overshadowed by Chiellini's claim that Suarez should have been sent off for allegedly biting him on the back of the shoulder when the pair clashed in the box shortly before the deadlock was broken.

The Liverpool striker, though, says that the incident has been blown out of all proportion.

428508.jpg

"These things happen inside the penalty area," Suarez told Uruguay's Channel 10 radio station. "We were chest against shoulder. I also immediately suffered a blow to the eye."

Suarez preferred to instead hail his side for the way in which they recovered from surprisingly losing their tournament opener against Costa Rica by defeating both England and Italy to seal a place in the knockout stage.

"We were very strong," the attacker enthused. "We did a great job. I think that having started the World Cup badly and turning the situation on its head, we deserved to go through to the next round.

"I had no more energy [at the end of the game against Italy] - the heat was really strong - but I was calm.

"Then the goal [from Godin] arrived and we are very happy. Now we will celebrate and think of our next opponent."

Having finished second to surprise package Costa Rica, Uruguay will face one of Greece, Cote d'Ivoire or Japan in the last 16.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lugano: Chiellini is a coward

428411_heroa.jpg

By Luis Herrera in Natal
Jun 24, 2014 11:56:00 PM

The Uruguay defender has backed Luis Suarez in the wake of Tuesday's incident and has accused the Juventus man of being bitter

Uruguay defender Diego Lugano has hit out at Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in the wake of the incident involving Luis Suarez during Tuesday's World Cup encounter.

The Liverpool star appeared to bite the defender during a tussle in the Italy area, with the Juventus man attempting to show the referee the mark on his shoulder following the incident.

Images circulated on social media showing the alleged damage caused by Suarez after the match but Lugano insists the Azzurri defender already had a scar from a previous incident and has branded the player "a coward."

"Are you sure you saw a bite?" Lugano said to reporters when questioned.

"Because I've watched the incident again and I saw nothing...

"I've seen the picture of Chiellini. That scar isn't from today's game. You have to be very stupid to believe that scar is from now.

"Italy had been wasting time the entire match, provoking us on the pitch like they always do.

"I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch. During the game, yes, it is all part of football, but I think the manly thing to do would be to just accept defeat. To denounce your opponents just out of bitterness is bad.

"There was no bite and there was no scar."

Cristian Rodriguez, meanwhile, also downplayed the incident before hailing defender Diego Godin's influence following his matchwinning goal.

"We are all men. I think it was nothing, I didn’t see anything and I think there will not be consequences," he said.

"Godin's goal was no coincidence. He is a player who is very strong in the air and has scored important goals."

Uruguay will meet Colombia in the round of 16.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The final straw: Disgraceful Suarez must face record ban

428403_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 8:55:00 PM

The controversial Liverpool striker's World Cup dream looks to be in tatters after he was caught appearing to bite Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's Group D clash

COMMENT
By Rich Jolly

The incident had only happened a few minutes earlier when the first jokes emerged. Now he had enjoyed three meals. He liked an Italian for dinner. And so on. There is humour to be found in everything.

More than anything, though, Luis Suarez retains the capacity to shock. Even when he has bitten two other players, it is astonishing that a repeat offender should assault – and it was an assault – an opponent in the World Cup.

Suarez being Suarez, he got away with it at first. He wasn’t sent off for biting Otman Bakkal or Branislav Ivanovic either. He wasn’t dismissed for taking a mouthful of Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini either (by the by, there is something sad when a referee does not believe a player showing teeth marks in his shoulder – how else did he think Chiellini sustained them?).

But in a world of umpteen camera angles, he cannot escape justice for long. He has already incurred seven- and 10-match suspensions for biting. His latest ban should be longer, because it is evident he has not been rehabilitated. He does not seem to have felt any remorse.

At the very least, his World Cup will be over. It would be justice for Suarez, too, if Uruguay’s were in the next round, minus their best player. Actions ought to have repercussions and, all too often, his have been disgraceful.

A Suarez storm occurs on an annual basis. In the 2010-11 season, he bit Bakkal. In 2011-12, he racially abused Patrice Evra. In 2012-13, he tasted Ivanovic. When he was voted PFA Player of the Year and Footballer of the Year for the 2013-14 season, it prompted suggestions that he had achieved redemption.

They were nonsensical. Suarez is a very fine footballer who had an outstanding year, but football excellence cannot compensate for everything else. We were told, too, that he was a changed man. As his 2013-14 campaign surely concludes in a further scandal, it is with proof that he is not.

Suarez certainly hasn’t been helped by the apologists who blame anyone else for his every misdemeanour. Excuses have been made for his misconduct. They cannot be anymore, even by those whose love of his talent and desire for his prolific goalscoring to continue have caused them to mislay their moral compass.

If Fifa are to have any credibility, they have to issue a severe suspension. It could carry on far into the next year of international football. It might even entail a ban from all football, impacting upon his club career. His latest misdemeanour did not occur in Liverpool’s colours, but they have indulged him too often. So, judging from head coach Oscar Tabarez’s post-match comments, have Uruguay,

Suarez's actions are made all the worse as, on each occasion, there is scant evidence of any provocation and because his cannibalistic response cannot be compared to a head-butt, a punch or a reckless tackle. It is far worse.

He needs to come to terms with what he has done. There was a slight acknowledgement at the end, as he looked almost mournful despite Uruguay’s qualification for the last 16. He was pictured holding his teeth in the final few minutes, a sign of the pain he had caused himself.

In other circumstances, it would have been vaguely comical. Here it was the sign of the most shameful moment of this World Cup.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa to investigate Suarez incident

428390_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Jun 24, 2014 6:49:00 PM

The Liverpool forward could face a lengthy ban from football after being accused of biting an opponent for the third time in his controversial career

Fifa has announced it will open an investigation into allegations Uruguay striker Luis Suarez bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder in Tuesday's World Cup encounter in Natal.

The two clashed late in the Group D fixture which Uruguay went on to win 1-0 to eliminate the Azzurri. Chiellini immediately drew the attention of referee Marco Rodriguez, pulling down his shirt to display his skin. However, no action was taken by the Mexican official.

Pictures and videos of the incident quickly spread on social media and Fifa, the world game's governing body, later confirmed it will look into the matter further.

A Fifa spokesperson told Goal: "We are awaiting the official match reports and will gather all the necessary elements in order to evaluate the matter."

Fifa have the authority to ban the Liverpool star for up to two years and their disciplinary code allows the use of video evidence.

The spokesperson added: "The Fifa Disciplinary Committee is responsible for sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials' attention. Furthermore, any type of proof may be produced, reports from referees, declarations from the parties and witnesses, material evidence, audio or video recordings."

There is a precedence of video evidence being used at a World Cup before - in 1994 when Italy defender Mauro Tassotti was banned for eight matches after the on-field officials missed an elbow to the face of Spain's Luis Enrique.

Suarez has been banned for biting twice before.

At Ajax, he was handed a seven-game ban for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal. Last year he was given a 10-game sanction for biting the arm of Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in a Premier League game at Anfield.

Chiellini was certainly in no doubt as to what had happened.

"Suarez is smart because Fifa allow it because they want to their champions to play," he told RAI. "The referee saw everything, but did not have the courage.

"There are episodes that affect the game. The action is clear, they say that the referees are informed on the players, but obviously they are not."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Italy are failures and deserved to go out, says Buffon

426591_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 24, 2014 8:15:00 PM

The Azzurri goalkeeper believed that his side simply did not do enough and can have no complaints about their exit at the hands of Uruguay following a 1-0 defeat in Natal

Gianluigi Buffon has branded Italy's departure from the World Cup as a "failure" after their 1-0 loss to Uruguay in Group D.

Diego Godin's 81st-minute header was enough for la Celeste to seal the victory required to take them through to the next round in a tempestuous encounter that saw Claudio Marchisio sent off and Luis Suarez accused of biting Giorgio Chiellini.

However Buffon, reflecting on Italy's failure to reach the knockout stages for the second World Cup in succession, was critical of the manner in which his side departed the tournament.

"It's a very sad day for us as a group, as individual players and as a nation," the 36-year-old told Sky Italia.

"It was a failure and it is useless to deny it or go around it. We went out and deservedly so."

Italy were hoping to make amends for going without a win in the 2010 World Cup, where they finished behind Paraguay, Slovakia and New Zealand in Group F, and Buffon was disheartened by their inability to build on creditable Euro 2012 and Confederations Cup campaigns.

"After 2010 there were two competitions in which we performed well," he continued.

"We had a good start and let expectations maybe get too high, and at the end we struggled against the harsh reality of playing two games in which we created little and failed to score."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prandelli submits resignation from Italy post

428396_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 8:02:00 PM

The former Fiorentina boss signed a two-year extension immediately prior to the World Cup but could not prevent a 10-man Azzurri side crashing out at the group stage

Cesare Prandelli has submitted his resignation from his post as Italy coach following his side's elimination from the World Cup.

The former Fiorentina boss signed a two-year extension immediately prior to the tournament but could not prevent a 10-man Azzurri side crashing out at the group stage of a second successive World Cup, following the dismissal of Claudio Marchisio for a high tackle on Egidio Arevalo Rios.

"I never wanted to hear that I was stealing the money of Italian tax payers," he told reporters as he announced his decision at a post-match press conference.

"There was no need for a red card in the game but it changed everything. My resignation is irrevocable too."

But Giancarlo Abete, head of the Italian Football Federation, has also submitted his resignation and has confirmed he has asked Prandelli to reconsider his decision.

"I will go to the board and offer my irrevocable resignation too," Abete confirmed. "I had already made this decision before the World Cup.

"The new President of the Federation will have my complete support. I'm disappointed as a fan but we gave it our all.

"Prandelli has offered his resignation. When we get back, I will call a meeting with the Federation and hope he will withdraw it."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Susic's future as Bosnia-Herzegovina boss to be decided in 10 days

428220_heroa.jpg

Jun 24, 2014 4:58:00 PM

The former Paris Saint-Germain playermaker has been heavily criticised for his side's failure to make it out of the World Cup 2014 group stages

By Mark Doyle in Salvador

Safet Susic has revealed his future as Bosnia-Herzegovina coach will be decided "in the next 10 days or so".

The former Paris Saint-Germain star has come under attack for his side's early World Cup elimination, with the tournament debutant's hopes of reaching the last 16 having been ended by back-to-back defeats, to Argentina and Nigeria.

There have been reports the Bosnian Football Association (N/FSBiH) have already decided against renewing Susic's contract, but the 59-year-old insisted ahead of Wednesday's Group F fixture against Iran that nothing has been finalised yet.

"As far as my future is concerned, it is not really meaningful to give you an answer before tomorrow's match but in the next 10 days or so, my future will become known to everyone," Susic told reporters in Salvador on Tuesday.

"It would be very hard to me to let this side go. We've achieved something that was unprecedented in terms of our football. What the players and the coaching staff have done will be written in history.

"It is going to be difficult for me to bid farewell but that day will come, sooner or later.

"But this is not the right moment to discuss this."

Susic also argued the criticism he and his players have received has been wholly unjustified, particularly in light of the fact that Bosnia-Herzegovina were denied a legitimate goal in their 1-0 loss to Nigeria by a linesman's flag.

"We've disappointed some people so, if needs be, I'd like to apologise. But this is our debut," he added.

"But had we had a bit more luck, had the referees taken some more logical decisions [against Nigeria], then we could have played tomorrow's game [against Iran] as a decider to go into the last 16.

"We also played a good game against Argentina. We were their equals and they are a world-class side.

"In the second game [against Nigeria], we created chances, they created chances, we saw our good goal [by Edin Dzeko] disallowed by the referee.

"If we get a good result out of [Wednesday's] game, I do not see any reason why we will be received badly when we return to Sarajevo.

"People should not forget that this is a generation that made a debut at a World Cup."

Susic believes Fifa, who have embraced goal-line technology at World Cup 2014, now need to look at dealing with close offside calls and contentious penalty appeals in the same fashion.

"Some things will have to be changed, maybe like in tennis or basketball or American football," he suggested.

"If there is an obvious mistake, maybe video could be reviewed, or challenges made by the coach.

"It's a shame to lose a game on a goal that should have stood.

"For instance, Croatia had a penalty against them in the first match with Brazil, while Mexico also had offsides and penalties go against them.

"It would have been such a shame for Mexico not to have gone through. Of all the teams we've seen at the World Cup, they have impressed us most.

"And as we beat them in a friendly, it makes us wonder what we've done wrong.

"But with respect to my decisions concerning the team, I have no regrets. We practically started with the same team that played very well in our warm-up games. We beat both Mexico and Cote d'Ivoire.

"With hindsight, if we get a result against Iran, people will come to realise that if we'd had more luck, if we'd had fairer refereeing decisions, this team could have progressed to the last 16.

"Because if we'd had our goal allowed against Nigeria, we would have still been able to progress."