• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zabaleta: Iran defended with 11 men behind the ball

426819_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 11:13:00 PM

The full-back admits his side made things difficult for themselves in the Group F clash until Lionel Messi's injury-time winner sealed a hard-fought 1-0 win

By Ben Hayward at the Estadio Mineirao

Argentina defender Pablo Zabaleta says his side struggled to beat Iran in their Group F clash in Belo Horizonte on Saturday because their rivals were defending with 11 men behind the ball.

Lionel Messi's injury-time winner secured all three points for the Albiceleste and sealed a place in the last 16 for Alejandro Sabella's side, but Iran had frustrated the South Americans for the entire 90 minutes of regular time and also missed two fantastic opportunities of their own in the second half.

"It was a difficult game and we knew it would be because Iran defended with practically 11 players behind the ball," the Manchester City left-back said in the mixed zone after the match.

"It was difficult to find spaces and they had two or three chances on the counter as well. That can happen because when we have the ball we try to attack quickly and in numbers - and sometimes that means we leave too many spaces at the back."

Sabella switched back to 4-3-3 after starting with 5-3-2 against Bosnia last weekend, but in the end the outcome was similar as it needed Messi's brilliance to settle it for Argentina.

"We made things difficult for ourselves in the second half," Zabaleta said. "But we created chances and we were able to win it in the end.

"When you have a player of Leo's quality who can pop up and be decisive, you always have a chance. We enjoy having the best player in the world and we know that he'll be there for us in a lot of situations when we need him, like today."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nigeria 1-0 Bosnia: Odemwingie fires Super Eagles to brink of last-16

427123_heroa.jpg

Jun 22, 2014 12:50:00 AM

The striker struck in the first half to secure victory for the African nation, who were forced to withstand a late rally, with Edin Dzeko hitting the post

Peter Odemwingie fired Nigeria to the brink of qualification for the last-16 as they beat Bosnia 1-0 and knocked them out of the World Cup.

The striker slotted past Stoke City team-mate Asmir Begovic at the Arena Pantanal, although Bosnia were unfortunate not to have led eight minutes earlier when an Edin Dzeko goal was incorrectly ruled out for offside.

The European nation needed a goal in the second half to keep their qualification hopes alive, however they were unable to break down a solid Nigerian defence.

The win leaves Nigeria second in Group F and requiring either a point from their group finale with Argentina or Iran to draw or lose against Bosnia.

Safet Susic omitted own-goal scorer Sead Kolasinac from their brave 2-1 loss to Argentina, however, Bosnia were exposed on their left side with Senad Lulic and Emir Spahic caught out of position early on.

A poor clearance by captain Spahic in the sixth minute forced his fellow defender Haris Medunjanin to bring down Ahmed Musa and take a yellow card.

Nigeria produced plenty of chances on goal and deserved to open the scoring, with Odemwingie's free-kick in the seventh minute deflecting narrowly wide of the upright, while Ogenyi Onazi - who tried his luck from range on a few occasions - forced a low save out of Begovic on 14 minutes.

For all their instability at the back, Bosnia settled into the game and should have been credited with the game's opening goal when Dzeko ran in behind and found the back of the net in the 21st minute - only for the assistant's flag to be incorrectly raised.

Dzeko was clearly Bosnia's best chance of scoring the opener, and minutes later he unleashed a shot from inside the area that Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama was forced to produce a strong save to deny the Manchester City man.

The Bosnians would be further aggrieved with the officials when they felt they were denied a foul in the lead up to Nigeria's opener - with Spahic left on the ground, as Emmanuel Emenike squared a ball for goalscorer Odemwingie.

Bosnia were struggling to create much danger as they hunted the equaliser they required, and Susic rung the changes prior to the hour-mark.

Vedad Ibisevic, the goalscorer against Argentina, was brought on for Izet Hajrovic, and Sejad Salihovic replaced Lulic.

It was almost déjà-vu for Spahic in the 60th minute, as Emenike brushed aside the Bosnian skipper, but he had cover this time around.

Moments later, Begovic was forced off his line to deny the forward down the left, as the Fenerbahce man continued to cause problems.

Ibisevic had a free header from a corner in the 74th minute, but he failed to connect as the ball flew over the crossbar.

But in the third minute of additional time, Dzeko came within a whisker of an equaliser, as his close-range effort was saved onto the post by Enyeama.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dzeko: 'Shameful' referee should be sent home after Bosnia-Herzegovina loss

427153_heroa.jpg

Jun 22, 2014 1:37:00 AM

The Bosnia-Herzegovina frontman had a goal contentiously chalked off for offside and watched as Emmanuel Emenike overpowered Emir Spahic in run-up to Nigeria goal

By Peter Staunton in Cuiaba

Edin Dzeko says referee Peter O'Leary should be sent home after Bosnia-Herzegovina crashed out of the World Cup following a 1-0 defeat to Nigeria in Group F on Saturday night.

Dzeko, his nation's record goalscorer, believes that captain Emir Spahic was fouled by Emmanuel Emenike in the run-up to Nigeria's goal and he also had a goal ruled out for offside which would have levelled the tie.

"Today we should have won this game," he said. "The referee was shameful in this competition. We are going home, we are sad because of that but this referee should be going home too. He changed the result and he changed the game. That's why we lost."

A 2-1 loss on the first matchday to Argentina at the Maracana left Bosnia with the need to avoid defeat against the Super Eagles in Cuiaba on Saturday.

Despite having a large share of the ball and Dzeko himself being presented with a number of chances, Safet Susic's side could not put any points on the board. For that, Dzeko lays the blame squarely at the feet of O'Leary.

"We tried to come back after the goal," he said. "But it was obviously a foul on our captain. And before when I scored the goal, it was never offside. We fought till the end. But we didn't have luck today. "

Dzeko said that the heat and humidity in Cuiaba played no significant part in Bosnia's defeat and that the side would try their best for a first World Cup point in Salvador on Wednesday.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Susic: It's a shame for us, but Nigeria deserved it

427159_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 22, 2014 2:33:00 AM

The Bosnia-Herzegovina boss admits the Super Eagles earned all three points but was disappointed to see his side go out after just two games

Bosnia-Herzegovina coach Safet Susic says it is a shame his team have been eliminated from the World Cup but admitted Nigeria deserved to beat them on Saturday.

Peter Odemwingie's first half strike was enough to give the Super Eagles all three points against the Eastern Europeans, who had an Edin Dzeko goal incorrectly disallowed in the opening period.

And Susic congratulated the Africans for their win but was disappointed to see his side eliminated after only two games.

"Too bad this generation has to leave the World Cup so early, but you can't blame them," he told reporters. "One goal decided our misfortune, the one against us.

"Congratulations to Nigeria, who played well and created chances and were a lot better tonight than they were against Iran. They also had better luck because they won.

"The match went exactly the way I imagined it would. It was an open game, two teams playing to win, lots of chances at either end. We had a lot of chances and didn’t convert any. They had one and scored that goal.

"Nigeria surprised us, they were quick and nimble and deservedly won. We won't fool ourselves, we weren't the favourites.

"They played attacking football, they really wanted to win. Now they are in second place in the group with great chances to progress.

"When our players play well, we can take on anyone, but when most are not in the mood, it's hard. It was hard because of the heat and the terrain, and the opponent was strong - these are the reasons for the defeat."

The 59-year-old says he hasn't seen the replay of Dzeko's disallowed goal and admitted it will be difficult to get his players motivated for the final game against Iran.

"They told me that it was not offside, but I have not seen it. This is not the first refereeing error, but I would not put them on trial.

"It will be difficult to motivate the players to play at their best, but we must have an honourable goodbye."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Germany players exhausted - Low

424685_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 21, 2014 11:36:00 PM

The European nation were forced to settle for a point in a thrilling encounter against Ghana and the coach has praised his players for their effort in intense conditions

Joachim Low has praised his Germany players for giving "everything they had" in their 2-2 draw with Ghana on Saturday.

Die Mannschaft went 1-0 up against the Black Stars through Mario Gotze, but had to scramble for a draw as Andre Ayew and Asamoah Gyan turned the scoreline on its head before Miroslav Klose equalised late on.

Low said his players were forced to run more often than they wanted to in the intense heat but praised them for the effort they put in.

"The players are incredibly exhausted," he told ARD. "The second half was totally open play, the speed was mad. The players gave everything they had.

"We didn't want to play for safety, we just wanted to avoid running back and forth all the time in these temperatures. We managed to get in front but out of nothing we conceded two goals.

"At this tournament you can't expect to play attcking football all the time. It is not good, to be too open and be punished for it. Attacking and defending are equally important."

The coach added he is aiming for all three points against the USA in the final group game before praising Bastian Schweinsteiger and Klose for their contributions.

"Our situation has not significantly changed. The situation is we want to win the next game and we want to win our group.“

"Schweinsteiger and Klose revived the game. Sami Khedira and Mario Gotze were exhausted and had no strength anymore.

"Miro was brillant at the goal and he was superb in training during the last days. Schweini had a couple of good moves going forward."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ghana were tactically perfect, says Gyan

427053_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 21, 2014 11:00:00 PM

The Black Stars striker gave his side the lead in the second half, drawing level with Roger Milla as the highest-scoring African at a World Cup

Asamoah Gyan says Ghana were "tactically perfect" in their 2-2 draw with Germany and believes they should "go all out" when they meet Portugal in their final World Cup group game.

The Black Stars came from behind to go 2-1 up through Andre Ayew and Gyan but a Miroslav Klose goal rescued a point for the Germans in a thrilling encounter.

And Gyan praised and congratulated his team for their performance against Joachim Low's side.

"It was a great game," he told BBC after the game. "I’d like to congratulate the team, we believed in ourselves. Against a top team like Germany, we had to fight to the end and it was a fair game today.

"I think it was great work, tactically we were perfect today. They are good in possession. What we planned today worked really well for us."

Gyan's goal was his fifth in a World Cup finals, making him the joint-highest scoring African in the competition with Roger Milla, and he admitted he was low in confidence after missing the a lot of chances in the 2-1 defeat to USA in their first game.

"I was just waiting for my chance to happen, I had a couple in the first game so I was a bit nervous."

In order to progress into the second round, Ghana need Portugal to beat the USA on Saturday night and then must beat Paulo Bento's side themselves, and Gyan says his side must attack in their last game.

"I think we should go all out because a draw isn’t enough. We must focus and after what happened today, we should be positive."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

'United States want to put Ronaldo in his place' - Klinsmann

424223_heroa.jpg

Jun 21, 2014 11:05:00 PM

The national team coach stopped his players from talking about Portugal on Saturday morning, but says they want to show the world that they can live with illustrious opposition

By Sam Lee at the Arena da Amazonia

United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann says his side are out to "put Cristiano Ronaldo in his place" when they face Portugal on Sunday.

The former Germany international stressed the importance of shackling every Portugal player in the crunch Group G clash, but wants his team to show they are every bit as good as Ronaldo and his "world-class" team-mates.

"There’s a lot of admiration for him and for the players who play at big clubs and in the Champions League," he said.

"But this is the moment to prove yourself, to step up, play those guys and put them in place. We want to put Cristiano in place.

"We want to make it our game, we are ready for that, we have been preparing for that a long time. We are not worried about any players, we respect them of course, as we always do, but we are ready."

US goalkeeper Tim Howard, who played alongside Ronaldo for Manchester United, hailed the forward's various talents but says there is a game plan to "bottle him up".

"We always knew he was special, the moment he stepped through the doors. He had skills that certainly I had never seen before. Did I ever expect him to be the best player in the world? Maybe not, but he certainly had the tools.

"He’s the single hardest-working player I’ve ever been around, on and off the field, his work ethic is incredible. He’s strong, he’s a fast runner, the best in the world when running with the ball, good in the air, good with both feet, the list goes on and on, this is why he's the best in the world.

"We want to bottle him up, it has not been done for four or five years but we’ll see what we can do. We have a gameplan and if we put that in place we’ll give ourselves a good chance.

"If we pay too much attention to Ronaldo someone else will beat us. We’ve got to be diligent, we have to be aware of their danger men. We have a gameplan in place and now we have to go and execute it."

Howard also revealed that Klinsmann put a stop to any mention of Portugal at the team hotel on Saturday morning.

"You have to know your opponent but as of this morning he refuses to speak about Portugal.

"It gives us a long time to focus on ourselves, we won’t focus on them anymore, it’s done. They’re a good transition team but we have to use the ball well, make them defend, hurt them and push them back."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm in charge, nobody else - Halihodzic

427139_heroa.jpg

By Matheus Harb in Porto Alegre
Jun 22, 2014 1:50:00 AM

The coach has been criticised by supporters for adopting a negative game-plan against Belgium, but says he has no regrets over his tactics ahead of his nation's next test

Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic says he is in charge and nobody else after coming in for criticism from fans as he prepares his side to face South Korea on Sunday.

The Fennec Foxes are under pressure to win their first World Cup match since 1982, and after failing to secure good results in the 1986 and 2010 editions, the Bosnian knows his team will need a big effort to get something from their next Group H fixture at Beira-Rio.

“We have a country that loves football, and that trusts this team," Halihodzic said at his pre-match press conference. “I made my players aware of that, but this Korea team is just better than us.

“You have to think each match individually, and consider the opponents we’re facing. We’re not Brazil, who can allow themselves not to think too much on the opposition. We’re not that strong.”

“But we will try to give a present for the Algerian people, they deserve it.”

After allowing Belgium for a comeback on Tuesday, the Algeria boss has faced some harsh criticism by local media, mainly because of the defensive-minded approach to the match.

Those went even further after reports claimed the president of the Algerian’ FA is pressing for changes in the team’s starting line-up, but Halilhodzic firmly denied such reports, while also opting to keep his changes secret for tomorrow.

“There are so many stupid things being said by the press," he reacted. There are a lot of people that could be listening, but I’m the one who chooses the team. I don’t need to talk to the president to tell him how to line up the team. That’s why I’m coach.

“I know what people have been writing about me, and the critics. And I won’t change just because we’ve lost to one of the best teams in this World Cup.

“I have given a lot of thought on my strategy. I had to forget about the Belgium match, and start focusing on Korea. We need to win this one, and also the one against Russia.”

Despite not being in the best of moods, the coach believes his players learned from their mistakes in the first match, and hopes to add that to the support from the Brazilian people to get the best result in Porto Alegre.

“In football, you have to defend and attack equally, otherwise you won’t win," he continued. “But the team learned this, they are young and, hopefully, things will come out differently this time.”

“This team has made a lot of progress in recent years, now it’s up to their passion and discipline.

“I know the Brazilian people loves good football, and that’s what we’re always aiming for. So I think we will get their support tomorrow.”

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Only a win will do for South Korea' - Myung-Bo

427003_heroa.jpg

By Matheus Harb in Porto Alegre
Jun 22, 2014 1:37:00 AM

Not one Asian nation has picked up a win in the World Cup so far, but that could all change on Sunday as the Reds look to take a big step towards the last-16

Only a victory will do for South Korea against Algeria as they continue their push for a World Cup Group H qualification, according to coach Hong Myung-Bo.

The Asian side drew with Russia in their first game, but are confident of going one better in Porto Alegre, with Myung-Bo also acknowledging the Africans can't be allowed to play their natural game.

Today's training session will be decisive on the deciding who'll be in the starting XI, as the Korean boss is still undecided on his starting XI.

"We haven’t decided on the players yet," said Myung-Bo on press conference. "We feel the next match is of extreme importance. Let’s take a look at all the players and then decide.

"I saw the Algeria match [against Belgium]. I think they played quite defensively, maybe they were a little afraid, but I don't think they'll play like that against us."

"What I can say is that we are going to play for the win. We need the points to advance, so that's how we're going for the match."

Myung-Bo also wants a win to improve the Asian teams' performance on the tournament, as none of the AFC nations have managed to secure a win so far.

"I think we should wait a little, and be patient," he stressed. "Historically, Asian teams haven't had a very good World Cup record, but I hope Asian football will try to go on and keep progressing in that sense."

After scoring a somewhat lucky goal against the Russians on an Igor Akinfeev mistake, the Korea coach trusts his attacking players will show composure and seize every opportunity that shows itself against Algeria.

"In order to win, we have to score, that’s the most important. I’m sure there will be opportunities, and taking those chances, that’ll be the key to win."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Rossi 'highly unlikely' to face Uruguay

426928_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jun 21, 2014 11:20:00 PM

The midfielder was seen limping off at the end of Italy's defeat to Costa Rica on Friday and the chief medic has revealed he is suffering from a calf injury

Daniele de Rossi is "very unlikely" to be fit for Italy's final group game against Uruguay, the team doctor has revealed.

With both the Azzurri and the South Americans losing to Costa Rica and beating England, they head into the final group match level on points.

However, Italy's better goal difference means they need just a point to secure a place in the knockout round.

De Rossi was seen limping off of in his side's 1-0 defeat to Costa Rica on Friday and chief medic Enrico Castellacci revealed that the midfielder is set to miss the crucial game.

"It is highly unlikely De Rossi will be able to play against Uruguay," Castellacci said in a press conference.

"There are no lesions to the soleus muscle, but it's an injury that requires a few days to recover from.

"He felt pain during the second half and it intensified towards the end of the game. The tests showed bruising on the calf, that will very likely stop him from playing against Uruguay."

Castellacci gave updates on some of the other players in the Italy squad, revealing that Matti de Sciglio is fit to return to the squad after missing the first two matches, while Claudio Marchisio and Andrea Barzagli are available for Cesare Prandelli.

"De Sciglio has recovered well from the bicep problem, so he is at the coach's disposal.

"Claudio Marchisio had a small problem in his knee, but that is nothing to worry about.

“Barzagli is being monitored at the moment. He wasn’t in bad shape today so if his condition stays this way then he can play."

The doctor admitted that players are suffering in the intense heat and humidity in Brazil, but insisted teams stop blaming the conditions for poor performances and defeats.

"According to Fifa's statistics, we played against Costa Rica with a temperature of 28.9 degrees and 65 per cent humidity.

"In Natal the climactic conditions should be similar to those in Recife. If it rains, perhaps it would be better for us.

"People must stop emphasising the temperature. It is just one of the variables in a tournament, albeit an important one.

"It certainly damaged us, as Costa Rica are more accustomed to it, but that is certainly not the reason we lost.

"We will try to improve the situation, but we remain convinced that we did everything we possibly could to contain the climate problem."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho blames 'football gods' for England's embarrassingly early World Cup exit

Jose Mourinho believes Roy Hodgson's team were unlucky in Brazil and their performance should not be seen as shameful

Mourinho_2950321b.jpg

High praise: Jose Mourinho has commended striker Luis Suárez Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Nick Randall
11:54PM BST 21 Jun 2014

Jose Mourinho says criticism of England should be muted because a combination of Luis Suárez and the “football gods” were responsible for their humiliating World Cup exit.

The Chelsea manager, who has been offered the same position with England at least once in the past, said their performance should not be seen as shameful.

He said: “I don’t think it’s fair to go in that direction because first of all, England was not lucky in the draw. For some reason it’s possible that you have three world champions in the same group.

“From the best three or four matches in this competition, England was present in two. It means they did well, played well, competed well, started both matches very well, was not afraid of Uruguay, was not afraid of Italy. [They] concede a goal, had a reaction, equalise. When they equalise with 10-15 minutes to go, lots of people think England can win this match, but they lost.

“So, I think the gods of football, if you can use that expression, were never with England since the draw until now. So I think England was not a happy team, they did not have the football gods on their side. I don’t feel comfortable to criticise England because I think they shouldn’t be ashamed of this situation.”

Jose Mourinho has in the past accused Liverpool striker Luis Suárez of cheating, but recognised the brilliance of his efforts against England. Speaking to Yahoo, Jose Mourinho said: “I think there were two periods of Luis Suárez. One period was the period where he had bad behaviours. He had that situation with Ivanovic.

“He had the suspension for a long period. After that there is a second part of Luis Suárez, which was this last season. And this season, he was voted by the press as player of the season. So, I think they all recognise that he’s a fantastic player and when his behaviour is OK, people give him credit that he deserves. I speak by myself, when he dives and when he tries to get penalties out of nothing, I don’t like the situation. But when he plays like he did this season for Liverpool, and when he plays like he did on Thursday, I have to say ‘absolutely amazing’.

“The commitment, the connection with the players, the connection with his supporters, I have to say amazing.”

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Karim Benzema hailed as ‘world class’ by Didier Deschamps as he joins chase for golden boot in Brazil

France manager says striker is finally showing his Real Madrid form for the national team

karim-benzema_2950467b.jpg

Golden boy: Karim Benzema is in fine form for France Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Mark Ogden, Salvador
10:30PM BST 21 Jun 2014

Didier Deschamps claims that Karim Benzema has finally discovered his “joie de vivre” with France and is now performing with the same consummate class for his country as he does for Real Madrid.

Benzema joined Thomas Müller, Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben in the race for the World Cup Golden Boot by taking his tally to three in the tournament with a goal

in the 5-2 rout against Switzerland in Salvador. But for missing a first-half penalty, which was saved by the Switzerland goalkeeper Diego Benaglio, Benzema would have moved clear of the pack with four goals at Brazil 2014.

Having been left out of Raymond Domenech’s mutinous World Cup squad in South Africa, Benzema is now enjoying a belated first appearance at the tournament. But with the former Lyon forward often criticised for failing to take his club form to the international stage, France coach Deschamps insisted that Benzema was now delivering for his country.

“Karim has confirmed he is in very, very big form at this World Cup,” Deschamps said. “It is evident that he has a joie de vivre at this tournament, which makes you happy to see.

“But he is a world-class player, and since the play-off victory against Ukraine in November, he plays for France as he does for Real. And to have a player as efficient as that is very important for our prospects.”

Benzema was irrepressible against the Swiss, as France again underlined why they could be a force in this most open of competitions.

Aside from his second-half goal against Switzerland, Benzema also created strikes for Blaise Matuidi and Moussa Sissoko, before having a goal ruled out by referee Bjorn Kuipers due to it crossing the line within a second of the final whistle.

Despite his match-winning contribution, Benzema offered a modest appraisal of his own display, preferring to heap praise on Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud. “I’m very happy with the match and our performance, and the result and, of course, my performance,” Benzema said.

“But Olivier also played a very good match, like all those who started. He kept the ball well from the start, and created spaces, he scored and made a goal. We’re all very pleased with his match. Now we must rest well and go game by game so we can beat Ecuador in the final group match. As for my second goal, I didn’t hear the final whistle and carried on playing and scored. But the ref didn’t allow it. The most important thing was the win, though, and the way we did it.”

The victory ensured that France require a draw against Ecuador on Wednesday to confirm their place in the second round. But despite the margin of their win against a Switzerland team ranked sixth in the Fifa rankings, Deschamps insisted that Ottmar Hitzfeld’s team tested France to the full.

“It was a great evening for us,” Deschamps said. “For almost 90 minutes we were leading 5-0 against a very good Swiss side. We played great pressing in midfield and had very quick attacks.

“In a case like that, you can always ask was a team too strong or the other too weak. But I think we saw in this match that this Switzerland side have their qualities. There is a great satisfaction but we don’t inflate ourselves. There is calm, too.”

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

World Cup 2014: Diego Maradona accuses Fifa of drug testing conspiracy against Costa Rica

Drug testing of seven players leads Argentina legend to suggest Fifa were pressurised after Costa Rica sealed place in last 16 with stunning wins over Italy and Uruguay

Costa-Rica_2950384b.jpg

Mighty whites: Costa Rica's players celebrate their win over Italy Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Ben Rumsby, in Rio de Janeiro
7:35PM BST 21 Jun 2014

Diego Maradona has accused Fifa of discriminating against World Cup sensations Costa Rica after seven of their players were drug tested after they qualified for the knockout stage.

Argentine legend Maradona claimed the central Americans had been targeted by post-match doping control amid fears tournament sponsors would not pay as much following their progress to the last 16 at the expense of England and one of Italy and Uruguay.

Fifa confirmed on Saturday that five Costa Rica squad members had been tested following their shock Group D victory over the Italians on Friday, in addition to the two players required from either side after each game.

The world governing body admitted the five unnamed stars were targeted, but only because they were among the nine per cent of players in Brazil unavailable for pre-tournament testing as part of its new biological passport programme.

That did not wash with Maradona - the only player ever to have failed a World Cup drugs test after being sent home from the 1994 tournament for taking a cocktail of banned products, including ephedrine.

Accusing Fifa of a “lack of respect for the rules”, the 1986 World Cup-winning captain said: “Why test seven players from Costa Rica and not seven from Italy?”

Hinting at a conspiracy against the central Americans, who play already-eliminated England on Tuesday after stunning Uruguay and Italy in their opening two games, Maradona suggested they had come under scrutiny because of indirect pressure from sponsors.

He added: “This is only happening because some people are annoyed Costa Rica - and not the big teams - are going through, and so the sponsors won’t pay what they’d promised.

“It is against the rules. Two players from each team are supposed to undergo doping controls. I know what I’m talking about, because it happened to me. But seven players? I’ve never seen something like that.”

Fifa’s head of media, Delia Fischer, yesterday described the mass screening of Costa Ricans as “standard procedure”.

Testing for its biological passport programme began in March, focusing initially on those players most likely to travel to Brazil.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Odemwingie helps Nigeria eliminate Bosnia

Nigeria's Kenneth Omeruo (C) and Juwon Oshaniwa (R) celebrate their victory over Bosnia. (MICHAEL DALDER / REUTERS / June 22, 2014)

Sports Network
7:34 p.m. CDT, June 21, 2014

Bosnia-Herzegovina was eliminated from the World Cup on Saturday after suffering a 1-0 loss to Nigeria at the Arena Pantanal.

The defeat did not come without controversy as Bosnia saw a legitimate goal pulled back halfway through the opening period due to an incorrect offside decision.

It proved to be a pivotal moment in the match as Peter Odemwingie gave Nigeria the lead in the 29th minute. The African side never looked back from that point on, closing out the match behind a few key saves from Vincent Enyeama to improve to four points in Group F.

The result gives Nigeria a tremendous chance of getting to the knockout round as it needs just a point from its finale against Argentina on Wednesday to be sure of a spot in the round of 16. The African nation will advance if Iran fails to defeat Bosnia-Herzegovina at the Arena Fonte Nova, also on Wednesday.

Bosnia-Herzegovina thought it had taken the lead in the 21st minute of Saturday's clash when a well-worked move around the box culminated with Edin Dzeko getting through on goal and slotting a shot past Enyeama, but the strike was disallowed with the Manchester City man judged to have been in an offside position when the through ball was played, a harsh decision as television replays showed that Dzeko was a foot onside at the time of the delivery.

Dzeko had another tremendous opportunity three minutes later when he latched on to a threaded pass through the Nigerian defense, but Enyeama denied the striker by pushing the shot out for a corner.

Bosnia-Herzegovina was left to rue its misses as Nigeria took the lead just before the half-hour mark.

Emmanuel Emenike wriggled free of the defense on the right flank and got to the end line before sliding a pass in front of goal, allowing Odemwingie to turn in the delivery from close range for Nigeria's first goal of the tournament.

Emenike continued his fine play after the halftime interval by testing Asmir Begovic at the hour mark. Odemwingie held off a couple of Bosnian defenders and dropped a pass back to the outside the penalty area, allowing Emenike to rifle a shot on goal from distance that forced a strong save from the Stoke City goalkeeper.

Bosnia-Herzegovina came close to leveling the score in the 74th minute when Vedad Ibisevic, who came off the bench for the second straight match, rose high to meet a corner kick but failed to get his header on target.

The best chances of the second half, however, were reserved for Dzeko in stoppage time. He nodded a cross down to the feet of Enyeama, but the Nigerian goalkeeper was able to make the difficult save from point-blank range without conceding a rebound.

Enyeama's heroics continued shortly after when Dzeko settled a long ball played into the box and turned to fire a shot on target, but the Lille goalkeeper produced a kick save that went off the post and away from danger.

It proved to be the last moment of meaningful action as referee Peter O'Leary ended the match shortly after, dooming Bosnia-Herzegovina to a quick World Cup exit.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard feels pressure as Belgium's star player

425041_heroa.jpg

By Tom Davis
Jun 22, 2014 11:20:00 AM

The Chelsea winger is aiming to make an impact at the World Cup and help his side reach the last 16, but has confessed to feeling the heat as the Diables Rouge's stand-out player

Eden Hazard has admitted he feels ‘huge pressure’ as Belgium’s star player at this year’s World Cup.

The 23-year-old has excelled since his €40 million [£32m] move to Chelsea two years ago but confessed that his price tag, and reputation, has placed a level of expectation on him to help guide Belgium out of their group.

"It's great to carry the burden of a nation and on the other hand, it's huge pressure whenever you are on the pitch," he confessed to the Times of India when told he was his country's national hope.

"Belgian people are aware of my price tag and so I guess it is quite natural for them to pin their hopes on me. I am only 23 but I am exposed to plenty of top-level football to have a fair idea of what the World Cup will mean to me and my team.

"We have some exciting young talents who have the ability to turn a match on their own."

Hazard made an instant impression on his debut in the competition, setting up his side's winner in a 2-1 victory over Algeria, and the former Lille player admitted he now wants to help 'force the world' to focus on Belgium with a strong World Cup showing.

"It was a dream come true for me," he said of his debut. "This is the biggest of all tournaments. It's a time of celebration for football and for the participating nations.

"We have qualified for the finals after a long gap of 12 years. That was a great excitement for all of us. Getting to Brazil was a dream for all of us.

"Now the dream is to play as well as possible and force the world to focus on us. Our first target is to qualify from the group. To do so we have to play really well.

"Once we get there, in the knockout [stages] no-one can predict anything. So, let's just concentrate on the job at hand."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Caceres: I'll pass on Italy's secrets

423494_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 22, 2014 1:04:00 PM

The Uruguay defender believes he can give "useful information" to national team boss Oscar Tabarez, using his knowledge of his Juventus teammates to his side's advantage

Martin Caceres says he will help Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez prepare for their crucial clash with Italy by feeding him information on Juventus players.

La Celeste meet Cesare Prandelli's side in Natal on Tuesday, knowing that only one side can progress to the next round following Costa Rica's 1-0 win over the Azzurri on Friday.

Caceres joined the Bianconeri in January 2012 and revealed that he expects to be asked by the Uruguay boss about the club-mates he has that will make up part of Italy's side.

"I think coach Tabarez will ask me for information about Italy and Juventus, especially my club team-mates," the 27-year-old was quoted as saying in Gazzetta dello Sport.

"All tacticians know Andrea Pirlo, so I'll just reiterate to Tabarez how important it is to disturb him when he's in possession.

"Claudio Marchisio has some standard movements, so in this case my advice could be very useful. He knows how to burst between the lines and has a great shot from distance. I'll describe him in great detail.

"Giorgio Chiellini is a very good friend, while Andrea Barzagli and Leonardo Bonucci are very experienced.

"I don’t expect Italy to put 10 men behind the ball, as that is not their style. It suits us, as Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani become deadly with a little space. We'll play on the counterattack."

After defeating England 2-1 on Thursday, Uruguay must now overcome Italy to progress to the last-16 and Caceres expressed his confidence in his side's ability to cause their opponents serious problems.
"Cavani with Suarez forms one of the best strike partnerships in the world," he continued.

"In the last game against England Suarez was incredible, though you could already tell from training that he was at 100 per cent.

"Uruguayans tend to give their best in difficult situations, as we already proved against England.

"Italy's defeat to Costa Rica surprised us all. It would've been better for us if the Azzurri had won. That way a draw was enough for both teams."

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maradona lashes out at Argentina FA chief

426940_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jun 22, 2014 2:21:00 PM

Julio Grondona branded the iconic former forward as a "jinx" on the current side at the World Cup, prompting a furious response

Diego Maradona has hit out at the president of the Argentina FA following claims he was acting as a "jinx" on the team at the World Cup.

Alejandro Sabella’s side have been uninspiring in their opening Group F matches, struggling to find rhythm in their win over Bosnia-Herzegovina before snatching a scarcely-deserved win over Iran courtesy of a brilliant late strike from Lionel Messi.

Following the underwhelming performance on Saturday, Grondona claimed "the jinx left and we won" after Maradona had left the stadium during the closing minutes, and the former Napoli star has wasted little time in issuing a riposte to the Fifa senior vice-president.

"So, someone said that the goal was scored because I left," he began, before referring to the Grondona as a "moron" and raising his middle finger to the camera while speaking to Telesur.

He added, bitterly: "My message to Grondona is that I paid for the clothes on my back through hard work."

Regardless of the unconvincing showings by Argentina, Sabella’s men have ensured qualification for the last 16 following their pair of victories.

They are set to battle Nigeria in Porto Alegre in their final first round match, looking to seal first place in Group F ahead of the Super Eagles, who beat Bosnia-Herzegovina 1-0 in their second match.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spain have similar problems to Bayern - Netzer

426006_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jun 22, 2014 11:48:00 AM

The West Germany great believes the issues la Roja are suffering from are not too different from those experienced by the German champions and says they must adapt their system

Gunter Netzer believes Spain need to evolve rapidly and are in a similar position to Bayern Munich, with teams exploiting their weaknesses.

Vicente Del Bosque's side have endured a terrible World Cup, falling to a 5-1 defeat to Netherlands and a 2-0 reversal to Chile to exit the tournament in an unexpectedly hurried fashion.

Netzer, commenting on la Roja's demise, sees similarities between the way teams have found ways to overcome the 2010 World Cup winners and the fact Peo Guardiola's Bayern were equally undone by Real Madrid in the semi-finals of the Champions League last term.

"The problem is that the other teams have simply adjusted to the Spanish system," the 69-year-old wrote in his column for Bild.

"The times are gone when the opponents were glad when they had conceded fewer than five goals. Spain are suffering because other teams have improved systematically.

"The bigger problem, however, is home-made. Similar to Bayern under Pep Guardiola, the Spaniards' game suffers in that chances are played out and not translated into goals. If Spain had used the opportunities that had arisen, we would not now be discussing their World Cup exit.

"The point is to partner effectiveness with dominance - in the Spanish national team as well as at Bayern. The philosophy must be even more focused on success."

Netzer, who himself was a World Cup winner in 1974, believes Spain must make wholesale changes, but says that does not necessarily mean starting with the removal of their head coach.

"It is not my thinking that this must also automatically be the end of coach Vicente del Bosque," he continued.

"Because if you are totally convinced of a coach['s talent], you have to forgive him his failures. The same applies for the DFB and Joachim Low and his output at the World Cup.

"It would be wrong to now throw everything overboard, [when] it was seen to be correct just a few weeks before. Football must not condemn you with one blow."

"I do not think that the Spaniards' successes of the past tournaments have gone to [Del Bosque's] head," he added.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Belgium 1-0 Russia: Origi snatches victory to send Wilmots' men through

427382_heroa.jpg

Jun 22, 2014 6:51:00 PM

The 19-year-old fired home following a brilliant run from Eden Hazard to settle a dour encounter at the Maracana

A late goal from substitute Divock Origi ensured Belgium booked their place in the last 16 of the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Russia.

Marc Wilmots' side looked set to suffer frustration at the Maracana on Sunday after looking short of ideas against Fabio Capello's well-organised team.

However, teenage striker Origi came off the bench to grab an 88th-minute winner - his first international goal - and secure progression from Group H with a game to spare.

Two substitutes, Marouane Fellaini and Dries Mertens, had combined to help Belgium come from behind to beat Algeria in their first match, and another change paid dividends for Wilmots on this occasion, leaving Russia stunned.

Prior to Origi's strike, Belgium had hit the post through Kevin Mirallas, while Russia striker Aleksandr Kokorin spurned the best chance of the first half when heading wide from an unmarked position.

Russia, who were held by South Korea in their opening game, will now require assistance from elsewhere if they are to join Belgium in the knockout stages.

Fellaini and Mertens were rewarded for their goalscoring exploits against Algeria with places in the Belgium starting line-up, at the expense of Nacer Chadli and Mousa Dembele, while skipper Vincent Kompany was passed fit and Thomas Vermaelen came in for Jan Vertonghen.

Alexei Kozlov and Maxim Kanunnikov came into the Russia side, with Andrey Yeshchenko and Yuri Zhirkov dropping to the bench.

Belgium made a positive start, but it was Thibaut Courtois who made the first save of the game when he got down well to keep out Viktor Fayzulin's left-footed strike from just outside the penalty area 11 minutes in.

Mertens was proving to be a real handful for the Russia defence and the Napoli winger fired wide with his right foot after an incisive run.

Russia could have had a penalty when Kanunnikov went down under a challenge from Toby Alderweireld in the penalty area, but referee Felix Brych waved play on.

Vermaelen suffered an injury in the warm-up and was subsequently forced to come off shortly after the half-hour mark, so Vertonghen entered the fray.

Mertens remained Belgium's biggest threat and Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev had to be alert to palm the winger's cross away after he cut in from the right at full tilt.

Yet Russia should have been in front two minutes before the break, when an unmarked Kokorin could only head Denis Glushakov's inviting cross wide of the target.

Wilmots replaced the ineffective Romelu Lukaku with Origi 10 minutes into the second half in an attempt to gain some impetus.

Both sides still looked devoid of ideas, though, with Belgium sitting deep and inviting Russia to break them down but Capello's side lacking quality in the final third.

Russia sensed the opportunity to snatch all three points, but they failed to create clear-cut opportunities in the second half and Glushakov was off target when he tried his luck from outside the penalty area.

Substitute Yeshchenko came close 10 minutes from time when he shot wide of the far post, while Mirallas then rattled the post with a free-kick.

Russia were then stunned two minutes from time as Eden Hazard embarked on a fine run to the byline and cut the ball back for Origi, who was on hand to fire home and see Belgium through.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Capello: We were caught out trying to win the game

424798_heroa.jpg

Jun 22, 2014 9:38:00 PM

The Italian argued his side deserved more after going down 1-0 to Belgium in Rio de Janeiro, which leaves their World Cup hopes in tatters

By Jon Fisher at the Estadio Maracana

Russia boss Fabio Capello felt his side paid the price for over-ambition after slipping to a late defeat to Belgium at the Maracana on Sunday.

A drab affair was settled with two minutes to go when Divock Origi converted Eden Hazard’s cross to deny Russia and propel Belgium through to the knockout stages.

Having only drawn their opening Group H game against South Korea, Capello claimed his side were pushing for the win when they were caught on the counter.

He said: “Frankly I’m very happy with the performance of the team. The result is unfair but the truth is we lost. We had chances to win, it was a very good match because both teams gave it their all and tried to win. Unfortunately it was Belgium who were able to make it.

“We played a good part of the first half on the counter attack. We had very clear chances to score in the first half but we got the last pass wrong or we tried to do things too hastily. In the second half, we were the team that had great possession but Belgium are a very dangerous team.

“We tried to win the match and we were subjected to a counter, that’s all. We tried to win it.”

The introduction of attacking midfielder Alan Dzagoev with seven minutes to go reflected Capello’s desire to get all three points.

“I brought on Dzagoev when I thought we would win the match. We were playing near the penalty box and I thought he would be creative and come up with the last pass,” added the former AC Milan and Real Madrid coach.

“It was not Dzagoev’s fault, however. The counter-attack happened when we were going towards the goal. We were going to win it.

“I thought it was an excellent match played at great pace and intensity. Because of that we made mistakes but so did they.”