• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri braced for ´most important game of the year´

3 October 2015

921589header.jpg

Juventus must approach Sunday's clash with Bologna as "the most important game of the year" if they are to halt their sluggish start to the Serie A season, says coach Massimilano Allegri.

The Turin giants' bid for a fifth straight Scuedtto has gotten off to a rocky start, with just one win from their opening six games.

However, Juve have carried last season's Champions League form into the current campaign, winning each of their opening two Group D fixtures against Manchester City and Sevilla.

Wednesday's success against the Europa League holders saw Juve dominate from the off, and Allegri will keep faith with the same XI from that game - meaning Sami Khedira will make his Serie A debut in midfield.

"It is important to win tomorrow, above all as it would be our first Serie A home victory of the season," Allegri told a news conference.

"If you play well, you're more likely to win. Results haven't been on our side so far, but until the referee blows the final whistle, everything is still to play for.

"I was very happy with how we played on Wednesday, as Sevilla had only one shot on goal. I don't believe in turning points, but in consistency. Tomorrow we have to treat Bologna as if it were the most important match of the season.

"Then there will be the break for international duty and I asked the lads to help me relax during that break. Bologna have some good individuals and only conceded right at the end against Fiorentina.

"The same players you saw on Wednesday will play tomorrow. As for the system, you can discuss that between yourselves."

One player not available to Allegri is Martin Caceres. The Uruguay defender was suspended by Juve this week after being caught drink-driving.

"Caceres is one of the most reliable on the field, but there are things you do off it that are simply not acceptable" Allegri said.

"Players shouldn't be like monks, but there are things you just shouldn't do."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jovetic slams 'absurd' injury reports

stevan-jovetic-cropped_430z89k2fkws1umjo42e4ncjz.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 6, 2015 16:04:51

Rumours in Italy have claimed the on-loan Manchester City striker is in dispute with the Nerazzurri over a medical issue, speculation he angrily dismissed

Stevan Jovetic has hit out at reports claiming he is embroiled in a dispute with Inter and the club's head coach Roberto Mancini over an injury problem.

Mancini denied last week that he was angry with the Montenegro national team for naming Jovetic in their latest squad despite the forward struggling with a hamstring problem.

Reports in Italy have since alleged the injury is more serious than the club is letting on.

The media have claimed the 25-year-old, on loan in Serie A side from Manchester City, flew to Germany against Inter's wishes in order to seek treatment at the clinic of former Bayern Munich doctor Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt.

Jovetic, however, has strenuously denied the claims and has dismissed any suggestion of a falling-out with Mancini.

"I keep reading crazy things about me that, frankly, I don't understand," he wrote on his official Facebook page.

"I want to clearly specify that there's no problem with Inter and Mr. Mancini.

"I wasn't on some secret trip into Germany, it was a visit which was controlled and authorised by my club.

"Now I'm obliged, like everyone here, to be at Montenegro's disposal. I'm here, I'm training and we'll monitor my fitness day by day."

Montenegro face critical games against Group G leaders Austria and second-placed Russia as they bid to qualify for Euro 2016.

Branko Brnovic's team are fourth in the group, two points behind Russia and one back from third-placed Sweden, with automatic qualification or a play-off berth still a realistic ambition.

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Doumbia rules out returning to Serie A side Roma

seydou-doumbia-cropped_49thte0ecbj51biz0rrwxvdrq.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 6, 2015 21:24:00

The Ivorian says he will not go back to the Italian club when his CSKA Moscow loan spell ends in January and claims Rudi Garcia did not help his cause in Italy

Seydou Doumbia has ruled out returning to Roma when his loan deal with CSKA Moscow expires in January.

The Ivory Coast international scored just twice in 14 appearances for Rudi Garcia's side, having moved to Serie A in January, ending a five-year stay in the Russian capital.

The transfer did not prove to be a success, Doumbia returning to CSKA on loan for five months in August, with an option to extend until the end of the season.

The 27-year-old is now confident he will reach an agreement over a permanent Roma exit and has laid the blame for his difficult spell in Italy at the feet of Garcia.

"I can't see myself going back," he told Jeune Afrique.

"Even though I still have a two-year contract, I think we'll come to an agreement.

"It went wrong for me. The fans started whistling me from the first game and it didn't stop until I left.

"The coach made me play when I had just returned from the Africa Cup of Nations and I don't think I was ready.

"CSKA was the best solution, I know the club very well, as well as the Russian League. I needed to play, so I could be called up to the national team, too."

Doumbia, who claimed he rejected advances from England before joining Roma, has not given up hope of moving to another elite league in Europe in the future.

"I returned six months after I left, and it was like I'd left the day before. Little or nothing had changed," he said.

"I left Russia because I thought it was time to experience a new league. I could have gone to England, but I chose Roma because the coach is French and because Gervinho is there.

"It didn't work out. Maybe one day I'll get another chance in a major European League."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti urges Milan to give Mihajlovic time

7 October 2015 18:38

924087header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has urged AC Milan to show patience with new head coach Sinisa Mihajlovic.

The former Fiorentina and Sampdoria coach is already under intense pressure at San Siro after the shock 4-0 home defeat to Napoli made it four losses in seven Serie A games so far this season.

Ancelotti won the Champions League twice and the Scudetto once during an eight-year reign as Milan's head coach between 2001 and 2009.

The 56-year-old turned down the chance to replace the sacked Filippo Inzaghi in the close-season and he feels the club should keep faith with Mihajlovic after the Serbian was chosen to take the side forward.

"Mihajlovic is someone with character, with good experience in Italy," Ancelotti told Corriere della Sera.

"We have to give coaches time.

"What is wrong at Milan? It is an amalgamation. But we can't lose faith, we have to keep going.

"What's happening at Milan is like what is happening at Juve after reaching the Champions League final."

As well as Mihajlovic, club CEO Adriano Galliani has come under scrutiny from the club's supporters for his perceived role in failing to ease Milan's struggles over recent campaigns.

Ancelotti believes patience should be shown to the veteran director, who he thinks is still Italy's best.

The ex-Real Madrid head coach continued: "People have short memories.

"Protesting against Galliani at Milan is like protesting the Virgin Mary. For me he is still the best director in Italy."

As for rejecting the chance to return to Milan after being sacked by Real Madrid in May, Ancelotti claimed it was simply a case of bad timing after a stressful period at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.

"When he learned I would not be staying in Madrid, Galliani game to test the waters," he said.

"He showed me all his affection, but I told him 'no thanks' straight away. We spent some nice days together. Galliani is nice and intelligent but after two years at Real I had no energy.

"Real is very draining. We didn't even talk about money. That said, if it had been another time I would have come back."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba set to be fit to face Inter

9 October 2015 13:20

925275header.jpg

Juventus have confirmed that Paul Pogba should be fit to face Inter next Sunday despite withdrawing from international duty due to injury.

The 22-year-old was forced to pull out of the France squad to face Armenia and Denmark after suffering a sprain to his right ankle, but the Serie A champions hope to have him back within a week.

"Paul Pogba has returned to Vinovo after withdrawing from France's national squad with a sprained right ankle," read a statement on Juventus' official website.

"The player was visited by the club's medical staff, who confirmed the diagnosis made by their French counterparts.

"He is expected to be able to return to action in seven days' time."

Juve take on Inter at San Siro next Sunday looking for just their third win of the season in the Italian top flight.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Morata aiming to return to face Inter

10 October 2015 17:24

925970header.jpg

Juventus striker Alvaro Morata has set his sights on being fully fit to face Inter in Serie A next Sunday.

The Spain international was stretchered off in the first half of the European champions' 4-0 win over Luxembourg on Friday with an injury to his lower leg.

Some initial reports in Spain claimed Morata could face between one and four months out of action, despite having avoided a fracture to his leg, but the 22-year-old has moved to dispel those concerns.

Morata posted on his official Twitter account: "Neither one month nor four... I'm working hard to be ready for Sunday!"

Morata had further tests on the problem late on Friday and Juventus later stated his progress will be monitored over the coming days.

"Alvaro Morata has today returned from international duty and the Juventus medical staff has confirmed the diagnosis of their Spanish counterparts: a bruised right leg with no evidence of fractures.

"The striker's condition will continue to be monitored over the coming days in order to assess the best course of action for his return to training."

Morata has scored three times so far for Juve this season in what has proved an inconsistent campaign to date for the Serie A champions.

They head into the clash with Inter a full 10 points adrift of current league leaders Fiorentina, and eight behind Roberto Mancini's men.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Vrij not interested in Manchester United

11 October 2015 13:09

926426header.jpg

Netherlands international Stefan de Vrij has insisted that he has no intention of leaving Lazio for Manchester United any time soon.

The defender has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford ever since Louis van Gaal took charge of United after the 2014 World Cup.

However, the 23-year-old has stressed that he is focused on his current club and is determined to win silverware with Lazio.

"I am continually being linked with Manchester United because Louis van Gaal is their manager," De Vrij told Il Messaggero.

"A lot of Dutch players are being linked with Manchester United, but there was never anything in it.

"All I want at this stage is to win things with Lazio.

"Our start to the season was a bit difficult, but we are on our way up again. We are climbing in the table."

De Vrij joined Lazio from Feyenoord in July 2014 and has since developed into a key figure at the Stadio Olimpico. He has a contract with Lazio until June 2018.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toure, Aubameyang and Salah lead CAF Player of the Year nominations

12 October 2015

927114header.jpg

Yaya Toure, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Mohamed Salah are among the star names to be nominated for the 2015 CAF Player of the Year award.

The Confederation of African Football has named 37 players on its shortlist for the continent's most prestigious individual award, with the eventual winner to be named on December 22.

Toure has taken out the last four CAF Player of the Year awards. If he makes it five in succession this year, he will hold the outright record over Samuel Eto'o, who has also won it four times.

The Manchester City midfielder won the Africa Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast this year but will still face stiff competition for the individual prize, having been short of his best form at club level.

Aubameyang, who finished second last year, scored 25 goals for Borussia Dortmund last season. He has already struck 14 times in all competitions so far this term.

Former Chelsea winger Salah enjoyed an excellent second half of 2014-15 with Fiorentina before signing for Roma in the close-season.

Other names on the list include Gervinho, a club colleague of the Egyptian and international team-mate of Toure, as well as Vincent Enyeama, who came third in 2014 and has recently been involved in a public feud with Nigeria boss Sunday Oliseh.

Eto'o and two-time winner Didier Drogba, who had been named on the podium for two of the last three years, are not included in the list.

CAF Player of the Year 2015 shortlist in full: Ahmed Musa, Andre Ayew, Aymen Abdennour, Baghdad Bounedjah, Basem Morsi, Christian Atsu, Dieumerci Mbokani, El Arbi Hillel Soudani, Faouzi Ghoulam, Ferebory Dore, Gervinho, Ibrahima Traore, Javier Balboa, Heldon Ramos, Mame Diouf, Max Gradel, Mehdi Benatia, Modather Al Tayeb, Mohamed Salah, Nicolas Nkoulou, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Robert Kidiaba, Rudy Gestede, Riyad Mahrez, Sadio Mane, Serge Aurier, Seydou Keita, Sofiane Feghouli, Stephane Mbia, Thievy Bifouma, Victor Wanyama, Vincent Aboubakar, Vincent Enyeama, Yacine Brahimi, Yannick Bolasie, Yasine Chikhaoui and Yaya Toure.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Evra still upset over Manchester United exit

13 October 2015

927764header.jpg

Juventus defender Patrice Evra has admitted that he is still upset about the way he left Manchester United in 2014.

The 34-year-old was keen to continue his career at Old Trafford, but eventually opted to leave the club for Juventus after United changed the terms of his contract.

Evra has no regrets over his decision to join the Serie A champions, but still finds it hard to discuss his United exit.

"It's still hard to talk about my United exit, but one day - when my career's over - I'll be able to speak more openly about it," the Frenchman told RMC.

"I came to Turin above all for my family, because at Manchester they had inserted a clause in our agreement which changed the situation considerably. It really annoyed me.

"But I don't regret this move, which in the end has proven to be more than positive.

"I'm happy in Serie A, even if it was more a coincidence that I ended up in Turin than a choice.

"My aim is to keep on winning with Juventus and the national team, particularly since we're the host nation [at Euro 2016]."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Niang: Milan still eyeing third

15 October 2015

928677header.jpg

AC Milan forward M'Baye Niang believes the club can still finish in the Serie A top three despite a slow start to the season.

Sinisa Mihajlovic has endured a tough start at Milan, with the club in the bottom-half of the table after four defeats in seven games.

Milan's most recent match before the international break finished in a 4-0 loss at home to Napoli - their worst defeat at San Siro since August 2009.

Niang, who did a video Q&A with his followers on Twitter, said belief within the squad was still there.

"Yes we still believe in third place, as there have only been a few games and we are all united. I believe, so does the whole team and the club," the 20-year-old said.

"Before he arrived at Milan, everyone knew Mihajlovic because he had a great season at Sampdoria. As far as we are concerned, he is a great coach and you'll see we'll get great results with him."

Niang has been sidelined through injury since August after suffering a fractured metatarsal in pre-season but admits he is just weeks away from a return.

"I am very proud to wear the Milan jersey, because this is a big club and I want to become part of its history," he said.

"Right now the rehabilitation process is going well and over the next few weeks I hope to be back on the field.

"I prefer to play as a centre-forward, but if needs be I can play as a wide forward and I did that a few times at Genoa."

Milan will be looking to return to winning ways with a victory when they travel to face Torino on Saturday.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: It´s time for Inter to beat Juventus again

12 October 2015

927063header.jpg

Inter coach Roberto Mancini believes the time has come for the San Siro club to end a long winless run against Juventus when the sides meet in Serie A on Sunday.

Mancini's men were knocked off top spot by Fiorentina last weekend following a draw with Sampdoria and welcome the Scudetto holders when domestic action resumes.

Inter's last home win over Juventus was a 2-0 triumph under Jose Mourinho in September 2010 and Mancini is eager to repeat the feat.

"Beating Juventus will be important. We haven't beaten them at home for five years now, so I'd say it's time to do it again," Mancini is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It's the Derby d'Italia – I'm sure it will be a great evening between two great teams. Now we have to play like Inter.

"It's a historic match, which automatically gives motivation. We have to be well prepared, because it brings particular pressures with it."

Mancini also offered assurances that Geoffrey Kondogbia will be available to feature, but was less certain over the chances of leading goalscorer Stevan Jovetic playing.

"Kondogbia is fine, he'll be available," the coach added. "Am I happy Steven Jovetic didn't play for Montenegro? I'll be even happier if he plays on Sunday."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Higuain winner downs Fiorentina

18 October 2015 18:28

930788header.jpg

Napoli ended Fiorentina's fine run of form with a 2-1 win at the Stadio San Paolo on Sunday, Gonzalo Higuain scoring the winner 15 minutes from time.

Paulo Sousa's men had lost just once in the league prior to the clash - conceding only four goals in that spell - but fell behind to Lorenzo Insigne's opener early on in the second half.

The in-form Belgian cut in from the left and curled past Ciprian Tatarusanu only for Nikola Kalinic to race on to a Josip Ilicic ball and register his fifth league goal of the season.

However, Higuain had the final say two minutes later as he collected Dries Mertens' pass to settle the contest as Maurizio Sarri's men built on the momentum of recent wins against Juventus and Milan.

Elsewhere, Sassuolo moved fifth after a 2-1 victory over fellow high-flyers Lazio - the visitors ending with 10 men at the Stadio Citta del Tricolore following Danilo Cataldi's late dismissal.

Felipe Anderson pulled one back following goals from Domenico Berardi and Simone Missiroli but Lazio failed to find a leveller as Sassuolo moved level with their opponents on 15 points.

Cyril Thereau's 84th-minute equaliser gained Udinese a 1-1 draw at Verona as the home side's wait for a Serie A win goes on while Panagiotis Tachtsidis' late winner settled a five-goal thriller between Genoa and Chievo.

In an action-packed affair at Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris, goals from Leonardo Pavoletti and Serge Gakpe had cancelled out Alberto Paloschi's opener before Sergio Pellissier's leveller 13 minutes from time.

Despite Blerim Dzemaili's dismissal early in the second half, Tachtsidis fired home from outside the area to ensure Genoa maximum points.

Strugglers Carpi and Frosinone had contrasting results as the former went down 3-0 at Atalanta - Mauricio Pinilla, Alejandro Gomez and Luca Cigarini all on target.

Last season's Serie B runners-up Frosinone picked up a 2-0 win against Sampdoria as Luca Paganini and Federico Dionisi scored in quick succession after the interval.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strootman going nowhere - Roma president Pallotta

16 October 2015 03:11

929238header.jpg

Roma president James Pallotta insists Kevin Strootman will not be sold, despite his ongoing injuries.

Strootman faces a battle to return before the end of the Serie A campaign after undergoing knee surgery for the third time in a little over a year.

The 25-year-old Netherlands international broke down in January, having injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee before the 2014 World Cup, but hoped to play a part for Roma this season.

Strootman, however, remains a key member for Roma, according to Pallotta.

"No question that Kevin would still be a player of the team if he was fit," Pallotta said during a live Q&A on Roma's official Facebook page.

"I have never had a discussion regarding Kevin leaving. In fact, we extended his contract as a sign of how we feel about him.

"In numerous discussions with Kevin, the only thing he continually repeats to me is, 'How much Roma has done for him and he hasn't been able to do the same for Roma'. Every time I answer him and tell him that's a stupid statement.

"Every day he is part of Roma on and off the field, he does something for Roma."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mihajlovic rues Balotelli injury

16 October 2015 15:22

929473header.jpg

AC Milan coach Sinisa Mihajlovic will have to make do without the services of Mario Balotelli in Saturday's Serie A match against Torino due to injury.

The Italy international missed Milan's 4-0 loss against Napoli on October 4 with a groin problem, but was expected to make his return in this weekend's game in Turin.

"Injuries are part and parcel of our job," Mihajlovic stated at a press conference.

"Balotelli is struggling with a groin injury and he is not available.

"I hope he can resume full training again on Monday."

The 25-year-old has put in some impressive performances since his return to Milan on a one-year loan deal, including a man-of-the-match performance in the 3-2 win over Udinese in which he scored once.

Balotelli's absence means Mihajlovic is likely to give Carlos Bacca and Luiz Adriano the nod again up front.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri backs Juve to get back into Serie A title race

19 October 2015 00:14'

931029header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri is confident Juventus will still be challenging for the Serie A title at the end of the season, despite their disappointing opening to 2015-16.

A 0-0 draw with Inter in Sunday's Derby d'Italia at San Siro means Juve have won just two of their first eight league matches.

Having been crowned champions in each of the past four seasons, Juve's squad is full of experienced campaigners and Allegri insists they will be in title contention come May.

"I don't know if we'll win the Scudetto, but we will definitely get back into the race. That's for certain," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"I don't want us to get caught up in the anxiety of the situation now, as there's a long way to go.

"The plan is to be challenging by the start of March and then we'll see about a final push. Getting one point here doesn't move the table much, but it stops Inter breaking away, we kept a clean sheet and put in a strong performance.

"Once again, we have to realise a team that scores nine goals in eight games cannot win the Scudetto, so we've got to improve our finishing."

Defences were on top in a low-key affair at San Siro, Inter striking the crossbar through Marcelo Brozovic, while Juve hit the woodwork themselves when Sami Khedira sent a golden chance against the post 20 minutes from time.

"We needed the same determination in attack that Andrea Barzagli had when defending," Allegri said.

"We lack goals, a team like ours cannot score so few goals [nine] after eight rounds.

"We have to improve on the timing of runs and passes, but let's also not forget that I've only had the full squad for two days. It was a decent performance in the circumstances."

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini praises Jovetic, blames stalemate on fatigue

19 October 2015 00:14

931028header.jpg

Stevan Jovetic earned the praise of Inter coach Roberto Mancini, but the Italian was left with an overall sense of disappointment following Sunday's 0-0 draw with Juventus.

Inter had the opportunity to climb to the summit of Serie A after Fiorentina had gone down 2-1 at Napoli earlier in the day, but they were unable to claim all three points in the Derby d'Italia.

Marcelo Brozovic came closest to a goal for the hosts, striking the crossbar with a curling effort, but it was Juve who wasted the best chance of finding a winner when Sami Khedira sent a shot against the post from close range with 20 minutes remaining.

And while Mancini was pleased with the performance of Jovetic, the coach felt his side tired as the game wore on.

"I thought the first half was his best performance in an Inter shirt so far, but he and everyone fell away in the second half because fatigue set in," Mancini told Sky Sport Italia.

"We used the 4-2-3-1, as we did in the second half with Sampdoria [in a 1-1 draw].

"I was satisfied overall, it was a game of few chances, but I had some players back from international duty on Friday.

"We went a little too deep in the second half and struggled compared to the first.

"At the end of the day, such a tough and hard-fought match was good and I'm sure Juventus will be back challenging for the Scudetto within a couple of months.

"We are only one point off the top, so we're in a good position. This year it will be a very difficult campaign for everyone, as every single match requires a battle, even ones that might've seemed easy in other terms. It's a very balanced league."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter president will sanction January spend despite €45m loss

20 October 2015

931757header.jpg

Inter will not rule out more spending in January despite registering a loss of more than €45million in their latest financial figures.

While club revenues have grown, Monday's financial release confirmed a loss of €45.3m in 2015 as a result of spending on transfer fees and wages, as well as part of a UEFA settlement for a previous breach of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

President Erick Thohir is content with the business conducted in the previous window, which saw the likes of Ivan Perisic and Geoffrey Kondogbia join in a spell of heavy investment under coach Roberto Mancini, but he has not ruled out more activity in January.

"I believe we have built a good squad and our objective for this year is to get back into the Champions League, so far we're on track to achieve this aim," he said.

"We're pleased with our current squad and the work Roberto Mancini is doing. Of course, there are always going to be comings and goings in January, that's the nature of this sport. However, we'll only buy if it's in the interests of the club. We've agreed with Mr Mancini that we shouldn't bring new players in just for the sake of it."

"We are genuinely convinced that we're conforming to the requests," he added of FFP regulations, which led to a €6m fine for the club earlier this year. "The world of football is changing and we're working hard to go along with it as well."

Sporting director Piero Ausilio has denied January will see the kind of player turnover that marked a busy pre-season for Inter, though he too accepts the chance to further improve the team must be taken should it arise.

"It would be a mistake if we were forced to buy and sell players at the same rate as in the summer. We think we've built a good squad, complete in every department. Perhaps we've even got too many players in some positions and in January we might let a few guys go so they can get more playing time," he said.

"In any case, we're Inter and we always keep up to date with European and global football, so we're ready to grab the opportunity that might help us to improve the team still further. However, we are convinced that this group is excellent just as it is. They just need to grow together as a team.

"They haven't had long working together. Things don't happen out of nothing in football and you need time to allow the guys to develop. With the work Mr Mancini is doing, the team will be where it should be in January and perhaps it won't be necessary to step in with new additions."

Thohir has also called on Serie A clubs to follow a financial model of increased investment in order to keep the division competitive on the continent.

"As a club we need to grow, not just from a revenue perspective but also in sporting terms. At the same time, it's fundamental that Serie A as a whole significantly improves its revenue situation," he added.

"We're behind other leagues and if we don't all pull in the same direction it will be hard for us to have a future."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totti closes in on Roma return

21 October 2015 19:12

932617header.jpg

Francesco Totti is edging closer to a comeback after Roma confirmed his recovery from a thigh injury is progressing well.

The experienced forward picked up the injury in the 5-1 win over Carpi last month but began work in the gym at the start of October.

Following further tests, Roma have revealed the 39-year-old is recovering quickly and will now start to increase his training workload.

"Francesco Totti is continuing to make progress as he bids to return to full fitness after sustaining a thigh injury on September 26," a statement on Wednesday read.

"Tests carried out on Totti today revealed further improvement in the injured muscle in his right thigh.

"The Giallorossi No.10, who recently struck his 300th goal for the club, will gradually increase his workload with the club's medical and coaching staff monitoring the situation every day. "

Totti was initially expected to be out for close to a month.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eranio sacked as TV pundit after racism storm

21 October 2015 19:42

932643header.jpg

Former Italy international Stefano Eranio has been sacked by a Swiss TV station following remarks he made about black defenders in football.

The 48-year-old was working as a co-commentator and pundit for RSI during Bayer Leverkusen's 4-4 Champions League draw with Roma on Tuesday.

After Roma centre-back Antonio Rudiger's error, which led to Leverkusen's late equaliser, Eranio said: "Black players, when they're in a defensive line, often make certain errors because they're not concentrating.

"They are physically strong, but when it comes to thinking about... they often make mistakes."

Following an internal review from RSI, who cited a previous comment made this season when passing judgment, the former AC Milan winger has been dismissed with immediate effect.

A statement read: "After careful assessment of this commentary, which is totally incompatible with the rules and ethics of our public service and which preceded another statement made by Eranio in the same vein during the meeting between Manchester City and Juventus in September, the directorate of RSI have decided to stop the co-operation with Eranio immediately.

"At the same time, distancing ourselves from the words of the guest commentator, RSI apologises to the public, some of whom have not failed to make their complaints known."

Eranio, who also played for Derby County and Genoa before retiring in 2003, has also worked as a coach with Milan's youth set-up.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Palermo v Inter: Zamparini backs Mancini to deliver Scudetto

22 October 2015 15:51

933167header.jpg

Roberto Mancini has been backed as the coach to bring the Serie A title back to Inter as his side prepare to take on Palermo on Saturday.

Inter are a point behind leaders Fiorentina after eight matches, with their one defeat coming to Paulo Sousa's side at the end of last month.

Mancini's men have been criticised at times this season for what some have perceived to be an uninspiring style of play, with Inter having won four league games 1-0 so far this term before holding champions Juventus to a 0-0 draw last weekend.

However, Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini believes the man who delivered three league titles in his first spell in charge at San Siro is well placed to add a fourth this term.

"The Nerazzurri have a coach for the title," he told Radio Sportiva.

"When you always win a game 1-0, all the credit should go to the coach. But on Saturday, we'll play to win the game: we have a good coach and plenty of talent."

Inter full-back Davide Santon expects a difficult game at a ground where his side have failed to win since 2010.

"Playing at the [Stadio Renzo] Barbera is always difficult. They'll be going for another win," Santon said.

"We want the victory and we'll give everything for it."

Inter beat city rivals AC Milan 1-0 in the Berlusconi Trophy match on Wednesday thanks to Geoffrey Kondogbia's goal, with Mancini fielding a much-changed side in order to keep his squad fresh.

Adem Ljajic (thigh) and Nemanja Vidic (hernia) remain their only major injury concerns for the weekend.

For Palermo, Uros Djurdjevic (ankle) is out, while Michel Morganella and Francesco Bolzoni – who have been sidelined with respective knee ligament and Achilles injuries – are still working on their recovery and are unlikely to feature.

Inter may have a poor recent record away to Palermo, but Giuseppe Iachini's side have been struggling. Last week's win away to Bologna ended a run of four consecutive defeats in the league and they have lost four of their last six home matches.

Josip Ilicic scored the only goal of the game in Palermo's last victory over Inter, back in April 2013.