• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Melo hit with three-game ban

22 December 2015

979122header.jpg

Inter midfielder Felipe Melo has been banned for three matches following his high kick on Lazio captain Lucas Biglia.

The Brazilian - who three minutes earlier had clumsily given away the deciding penalty - planted a boot on his opponent's shoulder towards the end of Inter's 2-1 defeat at San Siro and was issued a straight red card for the offence.

Serie A have now deemed that the incident classifies as "deliberate violent conduct" and have issued a three-game suspension, meaning Melo will sit out the clashes with Empoli, Sassuolo and Atalanta in January.

Roma striker Edin Dzeko has been given a two-game ban, meanwhile, as a result of "repeatedly addressing the referee with abusive language" in the 2-0 win over Genoa on Sunday.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina forward will miss the trip to Chievo on January 6 and the home clash with AC Milan four days later.

Atalanta have also been slapped with a €15,000 fine after supporters were found guilty of "chants expressing discrimination relating to territorial origin" against Napoli.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shevchenko calls for AC Milan to give Mihajlovic time

23 December 2015

979552header.jpg

AC Milan great Andriy Shevchenko has urged his former club to give Sinisa Mihajlovic time to turn their fortunes around.

Mihajlovic has overseen patchy form during his maiden season at San Siro and Sunday's 4-2 win at Frosinone took his side into the mid-season break lying sixth in the table.

Reports in Italy suggested the ex-Sampdoria coach's job was on the line ahead of last week's Coppa Italia win over his former club, but Shevchenko believes there have been some encouraging signs.

"I don't know the issues, but I think AC Milan should give a bit more time to Mihajlovic," the Ukrainian told Omnisport.

"He's been working only for a few months and I also saw some good games. Let's see."

One man who does not have time on his side according to Shevchenko is enigmatic forward Mario Balotelli.

Italy international Balotelli is back at Milan on loan following an ill-fated switch to Liverpool last season but fitness problems have restricted him to four appearances and a solitary goal.

Shevchenko is not convinced the former Inter and Manchester City striker will get another chance at a top-tier club if he fails to make an impression before the end of the campaign.

"I don't know if this is the last chance for Balotelli, probably he's going to have more chances," he added.

"He's got qualities and it's time he showed them. I wish him the best as he's a guy who could give much more for football."

Pirelli

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thohir: Messi to Inter? Why not!

23 December 2015

979833header.jpg

Inter owner Erick Thohir says he would jump at the chance to sign Lionel Messi should he ever opt to leave Barcelona.

Roberto Mancini's side lead the standings in Serie A after 17 games, having been transformed into potential title contenders following some significant investment during the pre-season transfer window.

Messi has admitted in the past that he would like to finish his career at boyhood club Newell's Old Boys but Thohir says Inter would not pass up the chance to make such a stellar signing should the opportunity arise as he aims to take the club back to the elite of European football.

"Messi to Inter? Why not! When he finishes his contract with Barcelona, he'd be a great signing," he said via the club's official Twitter account.

"Our strategy is clear: we want to take Inter to the place we deserve, among the best 10 clubs in the world.

"We're first in the standings after 17 games. We're a solid team, with a great desire to win.

"We're building a young, strong team, with the guidance of Roberto Mancini, to compete with the best clubs in the world."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria eye cheap deal for Rossi

22 December 2015

979430header.jpg

Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero has confirmed an interest in signing Giuseppe Rossi in January, but only provided he can nab the Fiorentina striker on a cheap deal.

Rossi has suffered dreadful luck with injuries since joining the Viola in January 2013, making just 39 appearances for the club in nearly three years.

He enjoyed a purple patch under Vincenzo Montella in the 2013-14 campaign, scoring 16 goals in 21 Serie A games.

Montella is now at Samp and Ferrero has claimed he will offer Rossi to his coach, if he can strike a suitable deal with Fiorentina chiefs.

"Rossi is a player of great talent, a true champion," Ferrero told Firenzeviola.it. "If Fiorentina were prepared to take on all of his salary, I'd gladly bring him to Genoa.

"I'd have to talk it over with Montella first, if he gives me the OK, then why not?

"Of course, certain sums are out of our reach."

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jorginho extends Napoli deal to 2020

23 December 2015

979863header.jpg

Napoli have announced that Jorginho has signed a new contract until 2020.

The midfielder, who turned 24 on Sunday, has established himself as a vital part of Maurizio Sarri's system during 2015-16 and has played every game in Serie A since sitting out the opening-day defeat to Sassuolo.

Jorginho's agent stated earlier this week that he expected a new deal to be confirmed prior to the new year and Napoli have now announced a new contract with the former Verona man until the end of the 2019-2020 campaign.

"Napoli announce the renewal of the contract with Jorginho until June 30, 2020," a brief statement on the club's official website confirmed.

Jorginho was sent off during the 3-1 victory over Atalanta on Sunday, meaning he is set to miss the clash with Torino on January 6.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Donnarumma dreams of Champions League glory with AC Milan

26 December 2015 15:58

980737header.jpg

Gianluigi Donnarumma dreams of helping AC Milan return to the Champions League and eventually helping the seven-time European champions to another title.

The San Siro club have failed to qualify for Europe's premier club competition for the past two seasons and currently sit seven points adrift of third place in Serie A – the final qualification spot.

Having made his first-team debut at just 16 years old, the teenage goalkeeper hopes he can help form part of a team that returns the club to its former glories.

"I was born a Milan fan. It did not depend on one game but the passion for the Rossoneri," Donnarumma told Sky Sport Italia.

"The dream is to win the Scudetto and maybe even raise the Champions League.

"I've seen Milan make great campaigns and I would love to be involved myself.

"We could be doing more, but have also been a bit unlucky.

"We are a large group and we hope to qualify for Europe. We will give it all to try to get into the Champions League."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter eyeing top-three finish - Brozovic

26 December 2015 00:26

980572header.jpg

Inter midfielder Marcelo Brozovic is still lamenting his side's loss to Lazio, but believes his team can finish in the top three this season.

Roberto Mancini's men suffered a 2-1 loss to Lazio prior to the mid-season break to see their lead at the top of the Seria A table cut to a point.

Brozovic, who is on loan from Dinamo Zagreb and has been linked to Arsenal, rued that defeat but said Inter's focus was still on a top-three finish.

"We are doing good, too bad we lost our last match," he told Nova TV.

"We screwed up a lot with that, but we can finish top three."

Brozovic has found some goal-scoring form recently, netting in a league win over Udinese and Coppa Italia victory against Cagliari.

The 23-year-old Croatia international said it all came down to practice.

"There is no special secret," Brozovic said.

"I practice after training, some shots from distance finished in the net and that is it.

"Training is not enough. If you want to succeed, you have to practice extra, in your free time. I do that regularly."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter star Perisic tips Juve as title favourites

27 December 2015 13:00

981149header.jpg

Inter winger Ivan Perisic has labelled Juventus as favourites to win the Serie A title, despite Roberto Mancini's men leading the way at the mid-season break.

Juve have dominated domestically in recent seasons and have won four straight league titles.

Massimiliano Allegri's men endured a difficult start to the 2015-16 campaign, but a run of seven straight league victories has left them just three points off the top ahead of the new year.

Perisic, who joined from Wolfsburg in the last transfer window, believes Inter have much room for improvement and is expecting Juve to be even stronger in the second half of the campaign, while also noting the strength of fellow challengers Napoli and Fiorentina.

"We are happy to top Serie A but we can and must be much better," he told reporters.

"Juventus are still top favourite for title and Napoli and Fiorentina are also dangerous.

"It will be tight battle until last round."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maradona was my inspiration - Zola

diegomaradonacropped_lcnslxx7u2mm1rtm1veyeoy8c.jpg

Russell Greaves
Dec 29, 2015 16:58:32

The Argentine great's spell at the Partenopei overlapped with the ex-Chelsea man's stay there and he revealed that he saw his team-mate as an inspiration

Gianfranco Zola has hailed the impact Diego Maradona had on his career when the two played together at Napoli.

Zola switched to the Naples club in 1989, where Maradona – a World Cup winner with Argentina in 1986 – had already been for five years.

The duo were part of Napoli's 1989-90 Serie A-winning squad and Zola says he benefitted from playing alongside a player he regards as the greatest of all time.

"The memories obviously of playing with Maradona are fantastic memories, he's probably the most important part of my career," former Chelsea forward Zola told Omnisport.

"When I was making myself known I learnt a lot from him. I definitely regard him as the greatest, although it's difficult to say that and also unfair because there are players from different eras that have been so important and Maradona was one of them, but certainly he was an unbelievable player and I'm so glad I met him."

The debate over who should be labelled the best ever generally involves Maradona and Pele being pitted against the modern-day stars of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Zola, now head coach at Al Arabi in Qatar, feels Maradona's feats can comfortably match up to those being achieved by the Barcelona and Real Madrid forwards.

He added: "If you look at the standards that Messi and Ronaldo are setting at the moment, they are unbelievable standards, but I think it's what Maradona did in his time was the same, exceptional.

"It's very difficult and unfair probably to compare players from different eras, because they were able to reach excellence in their time and they have to be rewarded for that.

"I must say that Maradona was amazing, like Messi and Ronaldo they are now."

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jovetic: No regrets over Man City exit

2462642_heroa.jpg

By Loic Tanzi
Dec 29, 2015 14:00:00

EXCLUSIVE: The Montenegrin forward discusses life with the Nerazzurri and believes he is forming a solid partnership with Mauro Icardi as the club looks to win the Serie A title
Inter forward Stevan Jovetic has revealed he has no regrets over his departure from Manchester City, insisting that injuries were the main reason behind his failure to make an impact with the Premier League side.

The Montenegro international spent two years at the Etihad Stadium but made less than 30 league appearances and struggled to become a regular in Manuel Pellegrini's starting XI due to persistent injury issues.

Jovetic sealed a move to Inter back in July and insists that, while it was a good decision to join City in 2013, he is now far happeir at San Siro where he is enjoying more regular football.

He told Goal: "Of course I'm happier to play more games [than at City], like I do here. That's the way I can improve and do my best for the team.

"It was a good choice to go to City at that time: a great team, with amazing players. I spent two great seasons there, a beautiful experience, unfortunately the biggest issue was related to the injuries, I had too many of them and that's the main reason I didn't play so much.

"[After a brilliant start] I had a small injury after those two games, so I had to rest. But then, although I didn't score, I played good games against Juventus and AS Roma, for example. I wasn't nervous at all, I knew the most important thing was to win games, regardless of my goals, and then I provided an assist, and that's important for me as well.

"At Inter we're doing already great things, we're top of the table and we want to continue like this."

Jovetic is currently with the Inter squad preparing to face PSG in Wednesday's glamour friendly and the 26-year-old is looking forward to testing himself against the Ligue 1 champions.

He added: "I feel good, we had a week off and now we're in Dubai, under the sun, we're training hard before the beautiful match against PSG, then we'll come back to Milano and fully focus against Empoli."

The former Fiorentina striker has started 10 of Inter's 17 Serie A fixtures to date but says that he understands the need for Roberto Mancini to rotate his squad over the course of the campaign.

"We're working great, we're playing only one game per week and it's not easy for Mancini as well, he always has to put the right players in for the right game. Of course we all always want to play, but we to think about the team first.

"[Mauro] Icardi and I are doing well both on and off the pitch, he's a good guy. It's true we didn't score 15 goals together when we played as a two, but we did well and we're going to improve. People always have to invent something to talk about but I don't care at all."

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Donadoni: I'm ready to coach a big club

robertodonadoni-cropped_mqxeobp49ymb1l6znh86qm6c6.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Dec 31, 2015 17:26:30

The AC Milan legend admits he wants to take over one of Europe's top sides and revealed he had talks with Silvio Berlusconi

Roberto Donadoni has revealed his ambition to coach a big club in the future and that he recently spoke with AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi.

Donadoni spent 13 years with Milan over two spells as a player - winning Serie A six times and the European Cup on three occasions.

He led Parma to a sixth-placed finish in 2013-14, only for the club to be doomed by financial difficulties the following season.

Now in charge of a Bologna side that is five points above the bottom three, Donadoni told Corriere dello Sport that he is ready for a top side.

"I'm ambitious and want to coach a big club one day," he said.

"Even to this day it's a special feeling to walk out at the San Siro and receive the affection of the Rossoneri fans. It gives me goosebumps.

"I spoke to Berlusconi on the phone a few months ago. We remembered the golden years of our Milan.

"He reminded me of the time when we spoke about Milan's future, and how he always said people expect everything he touched at Milan to turn into gold.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli to sign major player in January - De Laurentiis

31 December 2015

983329header.jpg

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has vowed to deliver on his promise to sign "a major player" in the January transfer window.

Maurizio Sarri has taken his side to within a point of the Serie A summit and secured safe passage to the Europa League knockout rounds in an impressive opening few months at the helm.

De Laurentiis has already spoken of Napoli's desire to battle for major honours at home and abroad in the coming years, revealing that interest in Gonzalo Higuain and a bid from Juventus for Marek Hamsik were flatly rejected.

The 66-year-old expressed his satisfaction earlier this month that Napoli have operated within Financial Fair Play regulations but is determined to land the star signing he promised supporters in the new year.

"A major player will arrive because Napoli should only field champions," he told Radio Kiss Kiss.

Head coach Sarri received criticism from club legend Diego Maradona towards the start of the season, who claimed the former Empoli boss should consider himself fortunate to succeed Rafael Benitez.

Maradona backtracked on those remarks as a result of Napoli's form, however, and De Laurentiis insists he never had any concerns that the 56-year-old would fail to prove his critics wrong.

"I never had doubts about Sarri. The era of Benitez is the past, it's not even close. It's part of Napoli footballing history," he added.

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Champions League failure not an option for Mancini

1 January 2016

983489header.jpg

Inter head coach Roberto Mancini understands that another year spent outside of the Champions League would be intolerable for his club.

The San Siro side sit top of Serie A at the mid-season break having picked up 36 points from their first 17 games, although the top five teams in the table are separated by just four points.

Mancini is still reluctant to publicly state that Inter are capable of winning the Scudetto, but he concedes a failure to finish in the top three and seal a return to Europe's elite club competition would be unacceptable.

"Our aim is to get back into the Champions League," he told Inter Channel when asked about his goals for 2016.

"Not playing in the Champions League cannot happen for Inter.

"It is not easy to put a team together but if you have the passion, desire and hard work you get the results you deserve eventually.

"Inter have not been where they have deserved to be over the last few years. With the history this club has, it should be playing in the Champions League and challenging for the Scudetto every year.

"That has to be our target and I am glad president [Erick] Thohir chose me."

Mancini is unwilling to discuss the prospect of Inter having a chance of winning the league until much later in the 2015-16 season.

"We are up there for now and if we can stay there until the last three or four games then we will be able to talk about it," he said.

"It is exciting at the moment with five teams bunched together within four points. There is still a long way to go and we need to knuckle down and focus on the first game back after the break – that and the last one before Christmas are the trickiest.

"All the lads have given their all so far and if we are up where we are it is thanks to the entire squad. It is an honour for me to be at Inter and hopefully we can have a really good 2016."

Inter are back in action with a trip to play in-form Empoli, who have won four consecutive matches, on January 6.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I was desperate, I couldn't see a way out' - Mandzukic reflects on 'terrible' Juventus start

mario-mandzukic-carpi-juventus-serie-a_12a11thvwwvi01dsy61e8axk1p.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jan 3, 2016 17:53:11

The Croatia international struggled during his first few months in Italy but says Massimiliano Allegri helped him get out of it by believing in him

Mario Mandzukic has admitted that he felt "terrible" and "desperate" during his poor start to life at Juventus, insisting he had never before gone through such a bad spell in his career.

The Croat failed to score in any of his first five league games for Juve this season, though his start was disrupted by a muscle injury which kept him out for a month.

While the attacker improved towards the end of 2015, scoring six goals in as many Serie A matches, he says the impact of his underwhelming start had a massive impact on him mentally.

"I was playing bad and I got injured, and the infection struck me for a long time and I was weakened," he told Sportske Novosti.

"Sometimes I was awake all night thinking about what was going on, I was desperate because I could not see the way out, something that had never happened to me before in my career.

"I was not looking for excuses. I got an infection that affected me against Udinese in the first week of the season. I had to take antibiotics and the pain stuck with me for two months.

"I felt weak, not strong, then I got an injury against Genoa. It was a terrible time.

"Massimiliano Allegri coach helped me, had confidence in me and he insisted on me joining Juve - a very important factor in the decision for every player. It means a lot to me."

The striker joined the Bianconeri from Atletico Madrid in the close season and admits he has been impressed by the stature of the club, while he could not wait to link up with Gianluigi Buffon and Giorgio Chiellini.

"This club is an institution. I was fascinated by the reaction of the club and the team leaders in the training - with their discreet presence, no fuss, they just asked for the maximum commitment and the need to return to the levels that Juve want to reach.

"I had been in contact with Juventus before going to Bayern. I had great respect for the players before I arrived here.

"Buffon was my idol as a child, I had good battles with Chiellini and we always shook hands after matches between real men. No tears.

"I knew Juventus and this prompted me to accept the offer."

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toni undecided on retirement

lucatoni-cropped_nsok6vxyvzn313jeiy4ze8koj.jpg

By Matthew Galea
Jan 3, 2016 08:40:41

The 38-year-old striker has still not decided whether or not he will retire at the end of the 2015-16 Serie A season

Italian veteran Luca Toni is yet to decide on his playing future, despite reports the striker is set to retire at the end of the season.

Toni turns 39 in May but has four goals in nine appearances for Verona this term, having topped the 20-goal mark in his first two campaigns at the club.

The well-travelled striker has enjoyed a career spanning over 20 years, having made his first senior appearances in Serie C with Modena back in 1994-1995, before breaking into Vicenza's Serie A set-up in 2000, eventually playing for Fiorentina, Bayern Munich, Roma and Juventus, representing Italy 47 times, winning the World Cup in 2006.

His remarkable career may not be over just yet either.

"Everyone says I signed on to become a director of Verona, but the truth is I am still a football player and I haven't decided yet whether I'll retire in June or in 2017," he told Tuttosport.

"I've been supposed to quit for the last four years and I'll make a decision in the spring. A lot will depend on how the season goes and how I'm feeling, so whether I want to keep challenging myself all over again."

One thing the Italian great will not be doing, however, is turning to coaching once his playing days are finished.

"No, it's far too stressful. I've seen some of my ex-team-mates get wiped out so fast," Toni said.

Toni returns to league action with Verona on Wednesday, when he will line up against one of his former clubs and Serie A title chasers Juventus.

"It's better we face them now after the Christmas break, so hopefully some will still be distracted. Juve are clearly stronger, but we can cause them problems," he said.

RudiGarcia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Under-fire Garcia not feeling the pressure at Roma

rudi-garcia-cropped_653txt56arai1fxevbpnb9g6b.jpg

By Tom Webber
Jan 5, 2016 17:04:01

The club from the Italian capital have been linked to the likes of Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello, but the current incumbent insists he is not going anywhere

Rudi Garcia is confident his position as Roma coach is safe, insisting he does not need public backing from the board.

The Frenchman came under pressure following to a run of seven matches without a win in all competitions – which included elimination from the Coppa Italia at the hands of Serie B Spezia – between November and December, with Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and Marcelo Bielsa linked as potential replacements.

Garcia suggested he would step down if he did not feel he could contribute further, but a 2-0 win over Genoa in their final outing of 2015 alleviated some of the pressure going into the mid-season break.

Ahead of their return to Serie A action against Chievo on Wednesday, the former Lille boss was optimistic about his job security and Roma's ability to continue challenging at the top of the table.

"Do I feel under pressure? Not at all. I often speak with the directors and I don't need them to support me publicly. I'm just thinking about my work and the next game," Garcia said.

"I want Roma to do well. That's why I'm here and that's what motivates me in my work.

"Everyone is trying to improve, myself included. I've not changed my beliefs, but I'm growing along with the squad.

"I just think about the next game. The goal is to win, to do it together and to stay in the race for the Champions League and the Scudetto."

Garcia revealed that Kevin Strootman – yet to make an appearance this season – is slowly edging towards fitness following knee surgery, while Francesco Totti could return from a thigh issue in the coming weeks.

"Strootman is in good shape physically and mentally. He's not with the group yet, but he's working hard," Garcia added.

"Totti's not at 100 per cent yet and won't be in the squad because I don't want to risk him, but he is nearing a return."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Handanovic signs new Inter contract

samirhandanovic-cropped_1re9czqc36ot91om64bvom4obd.jpg

Jan 5, 2016 13:12:36

The 31-year-old goalkeeper's future with the Nerazzurri has been secured after he agreed a contract until 2019

Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic has agreed a new three-year, which will keep him at San Siro until 2019.

The former Slovenia international has been with Inter since 2012 and his contract was due expire at the end of the campaign.

However, the 31-year-old is set to remain with the Serie A leaders for the next three-and-a-half seasons.

"When there is a will on both sides there are never problems," Handanovic said of his new deal.

Handanovic has formed part of an impressive Inter rearguard this term that have conceded just 11 goals in 17 league games to sit top of Serie A.

The ex-Udinese player has the highest save percentage in the Italian top flight so far this season - saving 84.5 per cent from 61 saves.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan´s Mihajlovic not fearing the sack

5 January 2016

985026header.jpg

AC Milan coach Sinisa Mihajlovic says he is not concerned about losing his job amid speculation he could be fired if the San Siro side's result do not improve.

The Rossoneri sit sixth in Serie A ahead of Wednesday's home game against Bologna, eight points behind leaders Inter.

That is despite heavy investment ahead of the 2015-16 campaign, the club having spent in the region of €80 million to secure the services of Alessio Romagnoli, Andrea Bertolacci, Carlos Bacca and Luiz Adriano.

Nevertheless, Mihajlovic sees no reason for concern just yet.

"There's a proverb which says 'a lion doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of a sheep, it eats it'," Mihajlovic said at a news conference when questioned about the uncertainty surrounding his future at the club.

"The next three games will be hugely important to us. We could get into trouble if we don't do well. Every game could be a turning point for us.

"We showed the right attitude in the 4-2 win over Frosinone before the break. If we go into every game with the concentration, anger and personality we showed there, then we can beat anyone.

"We must be careful against Bologna because they are very dangerous on set pieces and have quality players. We'll have to be careful in every situation."

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: Inter cannot afford to sign new players

5 January 2016

985036header.jpg

Roberto Mancini has stressed Inter are unlikely to make any signings in the January transfer window due to the Financial Fair Play regulations.

The San Siro side have been linked with the likes of Gregory van der Wiel and Ezequiel Lavezzi in recent weeks, but Mancini has made it clear they cannot afford to spend any money at this stage.

"To improve a team you need to spend money," he said.

"But I don't think that's an option because of Financial Fair Play."

The Inter coach also had his say on the situation of Rodrigo Palacio and Yuto Nagatomo, whose contracts are soon to expire, and hopes the duo will stay despite their reduced playing time this campaign.

"Palacio and Nagatomo are both fantastic professionals," he added.

"If it were down to me I would extend their contracts."

Palacio has made 12 Serie A appearances in 2015-16, but has started just six times and still awaits his first league goal of the season.

Nagatomo, meanwhile, has had to settle for seven appearances in all competitions.

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dybala: Becoming a Juventus player changed my mentality

paulo-dybala-cropped_1wixx6hwx6gk1k2dfqyta2c62.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jan 7, 2016 00:24:52

The Argentine forward, who scored his 11th goal of the season against Verona, says a more mature approach to football is behind his impressive start to life in Turin

Paulo Dybala says becoming a Juventus player has changed his mentality and approach to football.

The 22-year-old struck a brilliant free-kick as the champions extended their winning run to eight Serie A games with a 3-0 home victory over Verona on Wednesday.

Dybala has now scored 11 goals in his first season in Turin and he has credited his impressive start to life with the Italian champions to a more mature mindset.

"When I arrived here, I altered my approach, understanding that to have a strong character means everything," he told reporters. "For example, if I lose possession of the ball, I try my utmost to win it back.

"I don't consider myself one of the leaders, as there are so many important and experienced players around, but wearing this shirt comes with a great responsibility and I feel that I've matured here.

"We always need to work for one another, as we did today. It was useful to break the deadlock early on and, after the second goal, we were pretty comfortable before Simone [Zaza] put the game to bed with our third goal."

Dybala admits that regular free-kick contests in training have helped him to sharpen his dead-balls skills.

"Looking back at it, I have to admit that I caught the ball well," he reflected. "The keeper wasn't able to get across in time.

"We've been practicing dead-ball situations a lot in training and even have competitions to see who's the most accurate. I've still not won one of these, but I'm delighted to have scored today."

Juventus remain three points behind Inter in Serie A after the league leaders beat Empoli 1-0.