• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

19298259466020893b0bbf7fb5d3ea597ce222ba.jpeg

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Real Madrid remain my team in Spain

393742_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 21, 2014 9:13:00 PM

The Portuguese was recently claimed to have felt betrayed by his former Blancos squad but he says he always wants the capital club to win tournaments he's not involved in

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has insisted that he remains a Real Madrid supporter - despite the bitter nature of his exit from the Santiago Bernabeu last summer.

The two-time Champions League winner arrived in Spain in 2010 and won a Copa del Rey in his first year with Los Blancos before then leading the capital club to the Liga title in his second season.

His third campaign ended not only without a trophy but also in acrimony, with the 51-year-old having out with a number of key players, including captain Iker Casillas, and it was recently claimed that the Portuguese felt "betrayed" by some of his squad.

However, Mourinho insisted ahead of Chelsea's Champions League semi-final first-leg clash with Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Caldron that he is still a Blancos fan.

"In Spain, my club is Real Madrid and when they win competitions when I'm not involved I'm happy," he told reporters.

Mourinho saw his Blancos side lose the 2013 Copa del Rey final to Atletico and while he refused to discuss the strengths of Diego Simeone's side, he admitted that he has the utmost respect for the club from the Calderon.

"I am not here to talk to you about Atletico’s qualities; I did that with my players already," he stated.

"No team arrives in a Champions League semi-final without being a very good team and there are no exceptions. To be here they have to be a very good team.

"We respect them, have studied and analysed them. I am not going to talk to you about what my vision of Atlético as a team is."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Torres won't hide against Atletico Madrid, insists Mourinho

393731_heroa.jpg

Apr 21, 2014 7:57:00 PM

The striker, who made his name at the Liga leaders, is in line to face his former side after Samuel Eto'o suffered a knee injury, with his coach confident in his mental state

Jose Mourinho insists Fernando Torres won't "hide" against former club Atletico Madrid during Chelsea's Champions League semi-final.

The Spaniard has fallen down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge but is in line to face the Liga leaders in Tuesday's first-leg clash after Samuel Eto'o did not travel with the squad due to a knee injury.

Torres came though the youth ranks at the Vicente Calderon, scoring 91 goals over seven seasons in the first team before joining Liverpool in 2007, but Mourinho is not concerned by his striker's state of mind ahead of the fixture.

"Playing in the Champions League is a big motivation for every player. Everyone wants to play. Those chosen are happy those who aren't, are not," he told reporters.

"I am not saying that Fernando Torres will start, I am saying that he never hides. We feel that every day. He is a real Atletico supporter, I would say a big one. We talk about Spanish football every day.

"He is a professional. I have no doubts that the minutes he will be on the pitch tomorrow he will do everything for Chelsea given the professional that he is."

Mourinho also refuted claims that Atletico Madrid counterpart Diego Simeone is a superior coach to him.

"I don't agree," he said. "It is difficult to compare coaches; in fact it is not fair to do so.

"It is not fair to compare someone with 15 years of experience as a coach to one with less than that. It is something that I don't like to do."

After suffering semi-final defeats to Liverpool during his first spell in charge of Chelsea, Mourinho insists those disappointments do not provide extra motivation.

"I have no unfinished business with Chelsea in in the Champions League," he said. "I did my best. I always do my best. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

"In one semi-final we lost on penalties and in the other we lost because of a goal that wasn't a goal [a reference to a shot from Luis Garcia that was adjudged to have crossed the line], but that's football."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Miranda: Why should Atletico fear Mourinho's Chelsea?

392452_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 21, 2014 10:53:00 PM

The Brazilian finds it "odd" that some people are surprised by the Rojiblancos' success this season and says that they will relish their Champions League clash with the Blues

Miranda says that he has the utmost respect for Jose Mourinho but can see no reason why Atletico Madrid should fear his Chelsea side.

The Rojiblancos set up their Champions League semi-final showdown with the Blues by overcoming Barcelona in the last eight, while they currently lead La Liga by four points from the Catalans, with just four rounds of the season remaining.

Atletico's remarkable campaign has shocked some pundits but Miranda is not sure why, arguing that Diego Simeone's side have long been a match for anyone and, consequently, will relish going up against Mourinho's Chelsea at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday night.

"Some people seemed too surprised that we overcame Barcelona, as if Atletico had suddenly crept up from nowhere this season," the defender told The Guardian on the eve of the first leg. "I find that a bit odd.

"With all due respect to the great manager Mourinho is, we need to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible. I don't see why we have to be afraid of Chelsea if we didn't fear Real Madrid [when the Portuguese was in charge of Los Blancos between 2010 and 2013].

"They are a great team but so were Barcelona. They are going to have to want the place in the final more than we do."

Miranda feels that Atletico's desire will not be matched, though, explaining that the players realise that the squad that Simeone has assembled could be broken up this summer, with star striker currently being linked with, coincidentally, Chelsea.

"The group knows we could lose players for next season so there is this feeling that we have a pretty special chance in our careers that might not come again," the Brazilian confessed.

"Which is why we play every match as if our lives depended upon it. We owe that to the supporters and to Simeone."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hazard misses Chelsea training ahead of Atletico Madrid clash

366151_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 21, 2014 3:39:00 PM

The Belgium international suffered a calf injury in the 2-0 win over Paris Saint-Germain, a problem which is set to rule him out of the first leg of the semi-final

Eden Hazard missed training on Monday ahead of Chelsea's Champions League semi-final clash with Atletico Madrid.

The Belgian has been in sparkling form for the Blues this season, scoring 17 goals in all competitions, but sustained a calf injury in the 2-0 win over Paris Saint-Germain on April 8 and has not featured since.

His absence was felt on Saturday as Chelsea slipped to a 2-1 home defeat to Sunderland and he is unlikely to return in time for the first leg at the Estadio Vicente Calderon on Tuesday.

There was some good news on the injury front for manager Jose Mourinho, however, with Petr Cech involved in the training session.

The Czech Republic international fell ill before the loss to Sunderland and replaced by Mark Schwarzer, but looks to have recovered in time to face Atletico, though Branislav Ivanovic will definitely miss out through suspension.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo completes Real Madrid training session - but Bale sits out

388136_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 21, 2014 1:39:00 PM

The Portugal star and Sergio Ramos were fit enough to practice as normal with the rest of the squad, but the €100 million man is suffering with an illness

Cristiano Ronaldo was fit enough to complete a full training session on Monday for Real Madrid as they prepare for the first leg of their Champions League semi-final with Bayern Munich.

The 29-year-old has been battling to shake off a hamstring problem sustained in the quarter-final win over Borussia Dortmund and was initially a doubt for Wednesday's meeting at Santiago Bernabeu.

However, the attacker was able to train on Sunday before the club confirmed he completed a full routine session on Monday morning, meaning he will likely be fit to feature for Carlo Ancelotti's side against the reigning European champions.

Sergio Ramos, who has also been struggling with a minor injury, also completed the session, but Gareth Bale was forced to sit out due to illness.

Wednesday's encounter in the Spanish capital is set to kick off at 20:45CET.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atlético and Chelsea seek foundations for victory

Published: Monday 21 April 2014, 21.06CET

The best defences in Spain and England meet on Tuesday as Club Atlético de Madrid host a Chelsea FC side Diego Simeone believes are cut from the same cloth.

by Marcos Prieto
from Madrid

2093674_w2.jpg

Diego Simeone on Monday, with Raúl García and Koke in the foreground ©AFP/Getty Images

Diego Simeone said Club Atlético de Madrid will "take advantage of our strengths and disguise our weaknesses" when the Liga leaders host Chelsea FC. The Argentinian says the team share many qualities, with the best defences in Spain and England, yet José Mourinho is keen to stick to more general terms: any side that reaches a UEFA Champions League semi-final has to be a bit special.

Atlético
Diego Simeone, coach

We are not the same teams but we have similar characteristics. We have the best defensive records in our respective leagues, we both have good defences and play a direct attacking game. We're both also good at set pieces. These characteristics have led to us each fighting for titles. But we will to assess how the season has been at end. We haven't won anything yet.

"We know our strengths and weaknesses: We will try to take advantage of our strengths and disguise our weaknesses". Thibaut Courtois's state of mind is the same as that of all his team-mates. They are all filled with enthusiasm. They know the importance of this match – not just for them, but for the club.

This is a semi-final and as such it will be a very tight match. It is a game that will be decided by very small details. Teamwork will be all-important in helping to bring out the individual qualities that can decide games. Whoever can do that best will be closer to winning the first leg. I am still thinking about tactics; I want to see how we are in training.

Fernando [Torres] is a kid who this club loves. Torres loves this club and the people here; he has good memories of his time here. Before the match, in the warm-up and at the end I think Torres will receive the ovation that he deserves. He will always be one of us at Atlético.

Weekend result

Friday: Atlético 2-0 Elche CF (Miranda 72, Diego Costa 90+1)
Courtois; Juanfran, Filipe Luís, Miranda, Godín; Gabi, Tiago, Koke (Diego 57), Adrián López (Raúl García 46); Diego Costa, Villa (José Sosa 62).

• Diego Simeone's side hold a four-point lead at the top of the Liga standings with four games to go despite David Villa's second-half penalty miss – Atlético's fourth in Liga this term, more than any other side.

Team news

Arda Turan came through training having missed Friday's match with a groin strain. Defender Javi Manquillo is available following a neck injury.

Chelsea
José Mourinho, manager

This is a UEFA Champions League semi-final and you can see [by the amount of people] in the room here that there is a lot of interest in this game. Every player and every manager wants to be involved in a game like this.

I am not here to talk to you about Atlético's qualities; I have already done that with my players. No team arrives in a UEFA Champions League semi-final without being a very good team and they are no exceptions. To be here they have to be a very good team. We respect them, have studied and analysed them.

I have watched them playing many times. When we got them in the draw, I watched them with keener eyes. I have studied them a lot and have tried to give an idea of what Atlético are about to my players. Any team that is fighting for the championship and in the UEFA Champions League must be an important team.

I don't know if playing the first leg at home or away is an advantage. It's difficult for a UEFA Champions League tie to be decided in one game; not impossible, but it is difficult. I like to play without thinking about that aspect too much. We know that Atlético will try everything to win the game but we are going to try to win it too.

"I have no unfinished business with Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League. I did my best. I always do my best. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose".

Weekend result

Saturday: Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland AFC (Eto'o 12; Wickham 18, Borini 82pen)
Schwarzer; Ivanović, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry; Matić, Salah (Schürrle 66), Ramires, Oscar (Ba 59), Willian; Eto'o (Torres 74).

• Chelsea slipped five points behind leaders Liverpool FC as Mourinho suffered a first league loss at Stamford Bridge as Blues manager, ending a run of 77 games undefeated, across two spells.

Team news

Petr Čech trained on Monday having sat out Saturday's loss with illness but Eden Hazard is a major doubt with a calf injury suffered in the quarter-final second leg against Paris Saint-Germain. Branislav Ivanović is suspended.

Match fact

Atlético have never lost at home to English sides – winning five and drawing four – and while Chelsea have won just three of their previous 14 games away to Liga opposition they drew 2-2 on their only previous visit to the Estadio Vicente Calderón on 3 November 2009.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Torres has always been my inspiration - Koke

355344_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 12:17:00 PM

The rising midfield star admits he still looks up to the former Atletico Madrid striker as he prepares to face his Chelsea side in the Champions League semi-finals

Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke says Fernando Torres remains an "inspiration" to him as he prepares to face Chelsea on Tuesday.

The Blues striker is set to face his boyhood club for the first time since leaving for Liverpool in 2007 as Jose Mourinho's side visit the Liga leaders in the Champions League semi-final first-leg.

Despite the Spain international's travails in London, Koke insists he still looks up to the 30-year-old as he prepares for "the most important game" of his career.

"Fernando Torres has always been an inspiration for me," the 22-year-old is quoted as saying by Uefa.com. "I'm sure all the fans will be happy to see him here. We wish him all the luck in the world, but not in the game.

"To play a Champions League semi-final with the team you have supported as a child is a dream. If I'm picked it will be an incredible experience for me. [It] could be the most important game of my life."

Fellow midfielder Raul Garcia is expecting a fierce physical battle with Mourinho's men at Vicente Calderon and has stressed the importance of keeping a clean sheet.

"Chelsea play more or less the same way as us. It will be a physical game," he said. "We don't fear them; we are talking about football. They are a strong rival but instead of fear we have respect.

"They have very good players; highlighting just one is difficult. We know how we have to prepare. We know we will have to look to have a good defence and makes sure they don't score.

"We are aware of the importance of the match but we must only focus on the game. We need to block out information from the press and other sources. We need to concentrate only on playing the game."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid-Bayern Munich Preview: Hosts hoping Ronaldo is fit for reunion with old rival Guardiola

The Portugal international has been struggling with knee and thigh problems of late but is in line to play after coming through training unscathed on Monday

389703hp2.jpg

Bayern Munich's Champions League defence reaches a crucial juncture in Wednesday's semi-final first-leg at Real Madrid.

The Bavarian giants are bidding to become the first team to defend Europe's premier club competition since AC Milan did so in 1990.

Pep Guardiola's men secured the Bundesliga crown last month, allowing them to turn their full attention to lifting the Champions League trophy once again.

Nine-time winners Madrid – who will be hoping key men Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale are passed fit - do not have the same luxury and are involved in a three-horse race, with city rivals Atletico and Gerardo Martino's Barcelona, for La Liga glory.

Madrid were not in action at the weekend, but Bayern beat Eintracht Braunschweig 2-0. Captain Philipp Lahm felt that win, which came after back-to-back Bundesliga defeats, was crucial ahead of their crunch clash in Madrid.

"We did very well, especially in the second half. It's important we set off for home feeling good, and that's exactly what we're doing," the Germany international told the club's official website.

"[Against Madrid it will be] sensational. I'm really looking forward to it. We'll see two massive games.

"On Wednesday we'll show we're always up for it in the important games. But it's still 50-50."

Bayern, who have won the competition five times, are set to welcome Manuel Neuer back from a calf problem after the Germany goalkeeper missed the last two matches.

The 28-year-old participated in training on Sunday and is expected to be fit, while David Alaba should be available after missing out at Braunschweig due to illness.

Bayern will have happy memories of facing Madrid in the Champions League, with a 3-1 penalty shootout win at the Santiago Bernabeu securing their place in the 2011-12 final.

The Germans won the first-leg 2-1 thanks to goals from Franck Ribery and Mario Gomez, and, although Ronaldo struck twice in the early stages of the second-leg, an Arjen Robben penalty forced extra-time.

The tie was eventually decided by a penalty shootout, with Neuer Bayern's hero as he saved from Ronaldo and Kaka, while Sergio Ramos' miss allowed Bastian Schweinsteiger to strike the winning penalty.

The two sides have met five times in the semi-finals of the competition, with Bayern winning four – in 1976, 1987, 2001 and 2012 – and Madrid enjoying only one success came in 2000.

Los Blancos have not won the competition since 2002, but will take heart from the fact they are unbeaten in their last 17 home matches in Europe.

In fact, their last Champions League defeat at the Bernabeu came when Guardiola steered Barcelona to a 2-0 success in the 2010-11 semi-finals.

Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti will be sweating on the fitness of Ronaldo and Bale, although the former has returned to full training.

Ronaldo has missed the Spanish side's last four matches due to knee and thigh problems, but came through a training session on Monday. Bale is suffering from illness and it would be a major blow if either player is ruled out.

Defender Sergio Ramos should be fit, though, having recently been troubled by a neck injury.

Bayern are unbeaten in their last 10 away Champions League matches and know if they can extend that run they will take a big step towards next month's Lisbon final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti wary of risking Ronaldo against Bayern

392492_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 1:22:00 PM

The Italian says the 29-year-old will have a fitness test on Wednesday to determine whether he can start but has backed Isco to step up should he be fit only for the bench

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti says he will not take any risks over Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness as he battles to be ready to face Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

The Portugal star returned to training on Monday after recovering from a hamstring injury sustained in the quarter-final meeting with Borussia Dortmund.

Ancelotti says he is happy with how the 29-year-old has progressed in training but is adamant he will not risk the attacker if he is not 100 per cent ready to return to action.

"Cristiano has trained well. We will make a decision after another test tomorrow. He will play if he is totally fit," he told a press conference.

"Ronaldo will not play if there is any risk. We have another decisive game next Tuesday [in the second leg]."

The Italian believes having Ronaldo as an option from the substitutes bench could prove to be extremely useful for Madrid on Wednesday and has backed Isco to step up and replace the Portugal captain in the starting XI.

"Replacing a player with Cristiano is not easy because everyone has done a fantastic job. Isco proved he could be important," he said.

"Cristiano's presence will give us more options on the bench."

Ancelotti added that the Copa del Rey triumph over Barcelona will give his players confidence heading into the tie but he has stressed winning a 10th European title is not "an obsession" for the club.

"We played with 11 players against Barcelona and were compact and solid. It will be the same tomorrow," he continued. "We have the same confidence as before, but our play has improved with time.

"We are in the semi-finals and we want to win the title more than anyone else. It's not an obsession, it's motivation. We have a lot of desire and are excited to do our best tomorrow.

"Failure is a bad word, but I can't say reaching semi-finals is success. The first objective is to play the final."

Pep Guardiola has never lost a match as coach at Santiago Bernabeu, but while he is full of respect for his opposite number, Ancelotti has warned that the Spaniard will not be the decisive factor in the last-four tie.

"I have a lot of respect for Pep. He has done a good job. We have to be focused tomorrow because they are a tough team. [But] semi-finals are won by players, not coaches," he added.

"We will face a very strong team. They won the league a month ago. It's normal that we are not considered as favourites.

"We don't think about [Frank] Ribery; we are focused on the whole team. He is a great player but we think about his team."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale back in full training ahead of Bayern clash

386253_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 11:43:00 AM

The Wales star missed Monday's session due to illness but was able to work as normal with the Real Madrid squad as they prepare to take on Pep Guardiola's side

Real Madrid attacker Gareth Bale returned to full training on Tuesday ahead of the Champions League semi-final first-leg with Bayern Munich.

The former Tottenham star was forced to sit out a routine practice session on Monday after suffering from flu-like symptoms, throwing his participation in Wednesday's clash at Santiago Bernabeu into doubt.

However, the club have confirmed he was able to train as normal early on Tuesday and will be available for selection to coach Carlo Ancelotti.

The news comes as a major boost to Madrid, who also welcomed back Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos to training on Monday after they recovered from hamstring and neck injuries respectively.

Defender Alvaro Arbeloa and forward Jese Rodriguez remain the only injury absentees for Wednesday's encounter.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola is always thinking four steps ahead - De Boer

389523_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 11:10:00 AM

The former Barcelona man, who played alongside the Spaniard at Camp Nou, says his intelligence as a player has manifested as coaching "genius" in recent seasons

Former Barcelona midfielder Ronald de Boer has lavished praise on Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola, saying the Spaniard is constantly thinking "three to four steps ahead."

The 43-year-old lifted the Champions League twice at the helm of the Blaugrana and could become the first coach in the modern era to claim the trophy for a third time this season, with his Bayern side set to face Real Madrid in the semi-finals.

De Boer, who played alongside Guardiola at Camp Nou between 1998 and 2000, says the former Spain international's intelligence as a player has helped him to become a "genius" in the dugout.

"As a manager, Guardiola is a genius," the former Netherlands international told Sport1.

"As a player he was always very intelligent on the pitch. Physically he couldn't match the more robust players so he had to be clever. He always thought three to four steps ahead and is still doing this as a coach."

Guardiola takes his Bayern side to Santiago Bernabeu to face Real Madrid in the semi-final first leg on Wednesday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern are no longer favourites, says Robben

386057_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 12:13:00 PM

The Netherlands international believes Real Madrid boast "the best players" and are the most dangerous opponents left in the Champions League

Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben says his side can no longer be considered favourites to win the Champions League as they prepare to face Real Madrid.

The reigning European champions have been odds-on to become the first team to defend the trophy in the modern era throughout the tournament so far, but Robben believes such expectation counts for nothing against a side he believes are the most dangerous in the competition.

"They have the best players," Robben told Kicker. "If you have a 10 minute period where you switch off, you can suddenly concede three goals. There'll be a lot demanded of us.

"We are no longer favourites. Of course we want to win the Champions League again, but we're in the semi final – and anything can happen.

"Real are the most dangerous opponent we could have faced."

Wednesday's match at Santiago Bernabeu kicks off at 20:45CET.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Xabi Alonso rejects 'underdog' tag ahead of Bayern tie

394122_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Apr 22, 2014 2:53:00 PM

The midfielder believes his side are equal to the Bundesliga champions and is confident they can advance to the final

Xabi Alonso has rejected any suggestion that Real Madrid are underdogs ahead of their Champions League semi-final tie against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

The Bundesliga champions will start the game as favourites, but the Spain international believes his side are at least equal to Pep Guardiola's side and more than capable of advancing to the final.

"I don't consider Real as the underdogs,” Alonso told Marca. “Bayern is a great rival and we, like them, are having a great season.

“I don't think either team is the favourite and I don't think it's in our interest to think ourselves one way or the other.

"However, now, after three years getting to the semis, in our fourth year, we want to go a step further and reach the final.

“Our motivation is absolute and we are fully focused on what we have to do."

The midfielder also highlighted the importance of Cristiano Ronaldo to the Real Madrid side, but acknowledged the 29-year-old will only play if he is fully fit.

"He [Cristiano Ronaldo] gives us raw power and potential to create chances and score goals,” Alonso added.

“He is fundamental to us and when he's there, we take full advantage of our opportunities, however, he will only play if he is 100% fit.”

The midfielder also praised Gareth Bale for a great start to his Real Madrid career.

"We hope Gareth Bale continues as he is. He is showing a lot of great things in his first year at Real Madrid."

The Spaniard believes home advantage could prove the difference in Wednesday’s match and has admitted that support from the Santiago Bernabeu faithful is sure to give the team a lift.

"On the pitch we have to show our eagerness and spirit. All support from the stands is a plus for us.

“Against Dortmund, going down to the stadium in the bus and seeing so many fans was very important to us and gave us a lift."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I didn't want to face Real Madrid, admits Martinez

378527_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 9:12:00 AM

The Spain international says Carlo Ancelotti's side are the toughest left in the Champions League and warns of the threat they pose on the counterattack

Bayern Munich midfielder Javi Martinez has admitted he did not want to be drawn against Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-finals.

The holders will take on Carlo Ancelotti's side in the first-leg of their last-four tie on Wednesday in a repeat of the 2012 semi-final, which Bayern won on penalties.

Martinez believes los Blancos are the toughest side remaining in the competition which Bayern could have faced and has warned of the danger they pose on the break.

"They're getting better, they're more compact and strong. I didn't want them in the semi-finals of the Champions League. They're the toughest we could have faced," he told El Mundo.

"They're very dangerous on the break. [Angel] Di Maria, [Gareth] Bale - who scored in the Copa del Rey final - or [Cristiano] Ronaldo, if he plays, create a lof of problems."

Martinez is backing his compatriots in the Atletico Madrid team to reach the final at the expense of Chelsea - especially with Spain striker Diego Costa enjoying the best season of his career so far - but warned that Jose Mourinho and his team cannot be underestimated.

"He [Costa] fights a lot and has a lot of ability to open up defences. And he's in a great run of form. I wish Atleti lots of luck," said Martinez.

"A team coached by Mourinho is never simple, he always does a great job in the knockouts. He prepares everything to reach his ultimate goal."

Martinez added that Bayern focus far more on retaining possession under the stewardship of Pep Guardiola, but he maintains the style seen under Jupp Heynckes last season has not been lost.

"Guardiola has maintained the style of Heynckes, but he's changed many things and the play is different. Above all, in terms of the ball. Now we play more slowly, keeping the ball at all times."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Alonso: We must be perfect to beat Bayern

386581_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 22, 2014 12:53:00 PM

The Spain international has stressed that there are no favourites at this stage of the tournament and says it will be important to have Cristiano Ronaldo fit

Xabi Alonso says Real Madrid must be "perfect" to beat Bayern Munich - but insists neither side should be considered favourites.

Pep Guardiola's side head into the clash having been odds-on to defend their Champions League crown throughout the tournament, but Alonso is confident his side have what it takes to avenge their last-four defeat in 2012 to the German champions.

"We haven't thought about what happened two years ago because the circumstances were different. We have to play a perfect match. We have to know how to defend and to attack well when we have the ball," he told a press conference.

"Bayern are a great rival but we are going through a good moment and nobody is the favourite. We've made it into the semi-finals in each of the last three years and now we want to take the next step."

Cristiano Ronaldo returned to training at the start of this week after recovering from a hamstring problem and Alonso is hopeful the Portugal star will be ready to play.

"Ronaldo will play if he is 100 per cent fit. The coach, the staff and the player himself will decide. He is important for us," he said.

"Ronaldo can create and score goals. We use him whenever he is available."

Alonso also praised the performances of Gareth Bale during his first season with the club, stressing that the squad had been thrilled with his efforts even before his stunning winning goal against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final.

"Irrespective of the goal, Gareth Bale has been very valuable for us and we're very happy with him, especially since it is his first season," said Alonso.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone expresses faith in Courtois

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone insists Chelsea loanee Thibaut Courtois has the same single-minded focus as his team-mates.

simeone.jpg

Tuesday 22nd April 2014

The Belgium goalkeeper prepares to face his parent club in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg at the Vicente Calderon Stadium.

The 21-year-old is on loan at Atletico for a third successive season and, in line with UEFA rules, is free to play the Blues as the teams compete for a place in the May 24 final in Lisbon against Real Madrid or defending champions Bayern Munich.

It was reported that Chelsea would demand the Spanish side pay a fee of around 3million euros for each game in accordance with their confidential loan agreement, but UEFA announced it expected Courtois to be free to face the Blues.

Simeone is ready to place his trust in the goalkeeper.

"I think his state of mind is the same as all other 20 members of the squad," Simeone said.

"There's a lot of enthusiasm ahead of this match. It's not just important for them, it's important for the club."

Courtois played for Atletico in their 2012 UEFA Super Cup win over Chelsea, then the European champions.

The stakes are a little higher this time around and Simeone was reluctant to single out his goalkeeper, who could next season be given a chance at Stamford Bridge to displace Petr Cech.

Another player who could be at Chelsea next term is Diego Costa, touted as Jose Mourinho's number one target to bolster his forward line.

Mourinho has bemoaned his options up front this term, with Samuel Eto'o - absent for the trip with a knee injury - Fernando Torres and Demba Ba struggling in front of goal.

Simeone said: "I think they have very important strikers such as Eto'o and Torres.

"They have proven it, they have demonstrated it. They have won the World Cup and Champions League."

On the prospects of Costa moving to Chelsea, Simeone added: "It wouldn't surprise me that any financially powerful team would have Costa on their side. He's very good player and scores very well."

Torres played against his first club in Monaco, but will make his first return to Atletico's home ground since his July 2007 move to Liverpool, from whom he joined Chelsea for £50million.

Simeone expects Torres to be given a warm reception.

"Torres is someone that really likes the club, really likes the people, really has all these good memories," added Simeone, who could select former Chelsea midfielder Tiago in his line-up.

"Tomorrow I think he'll probably play. I hope before the match and I'm sure he'll receive the ovation that he deserves. He's really loved by the club.

"I hope that for him they recognise him, like they did in Monaco.

"Deep down Torres is one of us, one of Atletico Madrid."

Atletico lead the Primera Division ahead of Barcelona and city rivals Real and are in the last four of the Champions League after beating the Catalans in the quarter-finals.

Simeone is not ready to declare the season a success, though.

"The assessment will have to wait for the end of the season," he said.

"The team is growing match by match, but we haven't won anything yet."

Atletico are the last team in the competition with an unbeaten home record and have played English times nine times at home and never lost.

Los Rojiblancos are unbeaten in 12 matches and beat Elche last weekend while Chelsea lost to relegation-threatened Sunderland.

Simeone is focused only on his side and Raul Garcia is wary.

Midfielder Garcia said: "We respect them and we know what we have to work at: to make sure we have a strong defence and make sure they do not score.

"We're aware of the importance of the match tomorrow, but we have to be very concentrated.

"It's going to be very equal. It's going to be a very physical match.

"We're a team that fights, that has a lot of ambition and wants to win. We do not have fear. We have respect."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho in no mood for questions in Madrid

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was in a curt mood on the eve of his team's Champions League semi-final first leg with Atletico Madrid.

Mourinho.jpg

Tuesday 22nd April 2014

The Portugese had refused to discuss Saturday's controversial Premier League loss to Sunderland.

The relegation-threatened Black Cats won 2-1 at Stamford Bridge to end Mourinho's 77-match unbeaten home record in the Premier League and further dent Chelsea's title hopes, leaving the old European Cup as their most likely chance of silverware this term.

Midfielder Ramires, Mourinho and his assistant Rui Faria could all face scrutiny when the Football Association returns from its extended weekend on Tuesday for incidents during the loss.

Mourinho made only a statement after the match in which he made veiled criticisms of the officials and referees' chief Mike Riley, and he declined to elaborate on Monday.

"Today and tomorrow and also Wednesday are Champions League days and if you want to speak about the Premier League you have 19 teams in England that you can speak with," Mourinho said.

"Chelsea today and tomorrow is Champions League and we are only available to speak about Champions League.

"We are lucky to be involved in the Champions League, so we are lucky that in the next two days we don't think about the Premier League and what's happened and what is going to happen because now we only think about tomorrow."

Asked how important it is that his players, his staff and he himself keep their composure in the Vicente Calderon Stadium on Tuesday, Mourinho added: "We always behave in relation to the situation."

Ramires' domestic season could be at a premature end after he caught Sebastian Larsson with a failing arm, while Faria was sent to the stands for angrily approaching fourth official Phil Dowd.

Mourinho, meanwhile, laced his appraisal of match referee Mike Dean with sarcasm, barely hiding his contempt after Fabio Borini - on loan from the Premier League leaders - netted the decisive penalty in comments which could lead to him facing further censure from the FA.

He declined the opportunity to speak about Tuesday's referee, the Swede Jonas Eriksson, who was criticised by Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini earlier this season.

"I don't speak about the referees before the game," Mourinho said.

"Before the game I always think that the referee is there to do his job. And tomorrow I don't change my mind.

"I hope he has a good game. I hope he's prepared for the dimension of the game. I hope he's happy."

Curiously, Chelsea face their own goalkeeper on Tuesday as Thibaut Courtois is poised to feature against his parent club during his third successive season on loan at Atletico.

It was reported that Chelsea would demand the Spanish side pay a fee of around 3million euros for each game in accordance with their confidential loan agreement, but UEFA announced it expected Courtois to be free to face the Blues.

Mourinho said: "I think that on UEFA decisions it's better not to comment, you just accept or if you don't accept you don't make any comment. UEFA decides and I think managers don't comment."

Asked for his thoughts on Courtois, Mourinho said: "I don't speak about players from other teams."

Mourinho was returning to the Spanish capital for the first time since his three-year spell at Real Madrid ended, but declined to speak in Spanish. That was left to David Luiz.

Mourinho was answering questions from the media for the first time since Chelsea reached their seventh Champions League semi-final in 11 seasons with victory over Paris St Germain almost two weeks ago.

The Portuguese was not in his often talkative mood, though.

He declined to discuss in detail his thoughts on Atletico as the Blues compete for a place in the May 24 final in Lisbon against Real Madrid or defending champions Bayern Munich.

"It's with my players that I have to share my opinions about Atletico," Mourinho said.

"I (have) watched them play lots of times. When we got them in the draw, from that moment I watched them play with better eyes.

"I study a lot, I try to be ready to make my players understand what Atletico is, but I have no interests in sharing with you (the media) my vision.

"To reach a Champions League semi-final and to be fighting for the Spanish title, you must be a very important team.

"We know Atletico will try everything to win the game, but we are going to try to win too."

Mourinho is twice a Champions League winner - with Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan in 2010 - but not with 2012 winners Chelsea. Not yet.

Twice he reached the semi-final as Blues boss, each time losing to Sunday's Premier League opponents Liverpool.

Mourinho declared in Spain he is still a Real fan, while Atletico supporter Fernando Torres could be granted an opportunity on his former stomping ground on Tuesday.

Striker Samuel Eto'o did not travel due to a knee injury, but playmaker Eden Hazard did despite a calf problem, as did unwell goalkeeper Petr Cech.

The absence of Eto'o could see Torres called upon, although Mourinho opted to use Andre Schurrle as a 'false nine' in the previous round in Paris.

Torres was mobbed on his arrival for his first return to Atletico since his July 2007 move to Liverpool.

"I have no doubts that in the minutes that he's on the pitch tomorrow he's going to try to do everything for Chelsea," Mourinho said.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Injured Eto'o ruled out for Atletico clash

Striker Samuel Eto'o was absent with a knee injury as Chelsea travelled to Atletico Madrid for Tuesday's Champions League semi-final.

291213etoo.jpg

Monday 21st April 2014

Playmaker Eden Hazard was in the squad despite a two-week absence with a calf injury, but Branislav Ivanovic is suspended, meaning David Luiz could play at right-back or Ashley Cole could return on the left.

Nemanja Matic and Mohamed Salah are ineligible after playing for other clubs earlier in the competition.

Provisional squad: Cech, Cole, Luiz, Ramires, Lampard, Torres, Oscar, Mikel, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Hazard, Ba, Willian, Schwarzer, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta, Kalas, Hilario, Ake.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola: Madrid are a special side

392295_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Apr 22, 2014 4:39:00 PM

The former Barcelona coach has revealed his respect for Carlo Ancelotti's team and believes they will provide the sternest possible test they could've faced in Europe

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola believes his side will face the most difficult opposition left in the Champions League when they take on Real Madrid on Wednesday.

The two teams will go head to head in the first leg of their semi-final tie at the Bernabeu and the former Barcelona boss believes even the possible absence of Cristiano Ronaldo will not weaken their hosts.

“Madrid are a special side and with Carlo Ancelotti as their manager they are the most difficult opponents that we could have drawn in this stage of the competition," Guardiola told reporters.

"I'm always very happy to play in the semi-final of the Champions League, especially against a team like Madrid and with a team like Bayern. We need to play well and get a result."

"Hopefully we can well and give a show to the fans. People want to see the best and if Cristiano plays, they will see the best.

“However, if [Ronaldo is unfit and] someone else plays, such as Isco in the Copa del Rey final, there will still be a show.

“Real used to have one real stand-out player [Ronaldo], now they have at least four.”

The former Barcelona boss holds an unbeaten record on his trips to Madrid, but is refusing to look at statistics ahead of Wednesday’s game.

"These statistics are from the past when I was with another club, in another situation. It has nothing to do with Wednesday’s match.

“We'll have to put in a very good performance to win. It is always necessary to play well against Madrid, even more so with it being a semi-final.”

The 43-year-old also paid tribute to his side, who have been crowned Bundesliga champions and reached the final of the DFB-Pokal, as well as the Champions League semi-final stage.

"It's very difficult to win the Champions League but I am very proud of my team after they won the Bundesliga in March.

“We are in the cup final and the semi-finals of the Champions League, which is not an easy achievement.

“We’ve won a lot of games and are playing well. We have been stable throughout the season and showed a lot of team spirit."

Guardiola concluded by distancing himself from the vacant managerial position at Manchester United following David Moyes’ dismissal on Tuesday.

“I signed for three years when I joined Bayern and I feel that we can still improve. But it has taken time for me to change my Catalan culture and adopt a German style. It was not easy and I needed time.

“I still have a job to do at Bayern, I'm comfortable here and people respect my work. I want to stay here."