• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lazio will not sell Klose

13 December 2014

756811header.jpg

Miroslav Klose will not be sold by Lazio, according to sporting director Igli Tare, despite the striker's frustration at a lack of playing time.

Lazio coach Stefano Pioli has preferred Filip Dordevic up front in Serie A this season with the Serbian striker notching 10 starts from 14 appearances, while Klose has been restricted to just four starts from 12 games.

Despite that, Klose (three) has scored half as many goals as Dordevic (six) and the 36-year-old German has previously hinted at a desire to leave Lazio if Pioli does not use him more.

But with Tare dismissing that possibility, Klose seems to have changed his mind, telling Deutsche-Welle: "I assume I'll be here this year and next year, just look around, life's not bad here."

Not only does Lazio have no plans to sell Klose, they are considering keeping the forward beyond his fourth season with the club.

"He is definitely not leaving Lazio this winter," Tare said.

"He has a contract with an option that could be extended automatically by a year."

Klose played a key role in Germany's triumph at the World Cup in Brazil earlier this year, scoring two goals in five games, which made him the most prolific scorer in World Cup history.

Tare insisted Lazio appreciate the type of player they have in the Italian capital: "Of course it's great to have a world champion [at Lazio] - one of the best players from Germany, a man who has made football history."

Klose, however, could not resist reminding everyone of his abilities, despite being closer to his 37th birthday than his 36th.

"We do tests every two or three months to see how fit we are," he said.

"The tests show I haven't lost much performance.

"When you're one of the fastest or even the fastest at Lazio, of course, it makes you proud."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidic agent rubbishes talk of United return

11 December 2014

755896header.jpg

Nemanja Vidic's agent has moved to dismiss speculation that the defender is set to return to Manchester United from Inter.

The former Serbia international moved to San Siro in the close-season following nine trophy-laden years at Old Trafford.

Vidic has made 13 appearances in all competitions for Inter so far this season, although he is yet to consistently put in the commanding performances so often seen in his days at United.

Rumours have recently surfaced that the 33-year-old could be in line for a move back to United, but Silvano Martina, the player's representative, has categorically denied such claims.

"Not at all, they are all lies," he told Calciomercato.com. "Vidic has a three-year deal with Inter and does not move from Milan.

"It's almost useless the nonsense that is spread out and I do not see a reason for him to be linked to other teams.

"There was little respect towards my client from the press.

"As soon as the Nerazzurri lost a few games, the press did not think twice to attack Vidic and point to him as the sole culprit.

"I repeat: he does not move from Inter."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Mauri boosts Lazio, Palermo edge thriller

13 December 2014

757283header.jpg

A second-half double from captain Stefano Mauri fired Lazio to a 3-0 win over Atalanta and third place in Serie A.

Following a goalless opening period at the Stadio Olimpico, Mauri slid home Felipe Anderson's low cross to net the opening goal after 51 minutes.

The 34-year-old then steered in a fine second from the edge of the area to double his team's advantage, and Senad Lulic headed in from right-back Dusan Basta's cross to seal the points nine minutes from time.

Lazio will hope to finish the weekend in third, too, as Genoa and Sampdoria - the two teams immediately below them - face clashes with the top two as they meet Roma and Juventus respectively on Sunday.

In Saturday's earlier Serie A match, Andrea Belotti netted an injury time winner to secure a 2-1 win for Palermo over nine-man Sassuolo.

Luca Rigoni handed Palermo an ideal start when he headed home Paulo Dybala's corner after just three minutes.

Sassuolo's task appeared thankless when goalkeeper Andrea Consigli was sent off for a professional foul on Enzo Maresca shortly after the hour, but their ambition was rewarded when Leonardo Pavoletti curled a shot into the top corner five minutes from time.

But Belotti provided a final twist when he beat the offside trap to finish coolly before Pablo Cannavaro was sent off for a kick on Dybala as tempers frayed.

Victory moves Palermo above Sassuolo and into ninth place in the table.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini eyeing January additions to Inter squad

14 December 2014

757485header.jpg

Roberto Mancini is hopeful of making additions to his Inter squad in January, but is sure player sales will not fund any purchases.

Mancini has led Inter to just one victory in five attempts in all competitions since his return to San Siro last month - with just one point accrued from a possible nine in Serie A.

With Inter languishing in the bottom half of the league, key first-teamers like Mauro Icardi and Fredy Guarin have been linked with a move away from Inter.

However, Mancini is bullish over the pair's status, insisting neither the Argentinian or Colombian will be used to fund any moves when the window re-opens next month.

He told reporters: "New players? When I think about the team, it is normal that we need different players for playing in a different way.

"I am not sure, but I think that the club may sign new players.

"Guarin and Icardi up for sale? I don’t think so, I think that we have just to buy some players that we are currently missing."

One name regularly linked with a return to inter since Mancini was hired is Italy international Mario Balotelli - struggling to make an impact since his move to Liverpool.

Mancini gave Balotelli his senior debut when in his first Inter reign, and also took the striker to Manchester City, where the pair won the Premier League - though the 50-year-old once again played down the chances of a reunion at San Siro.

"Did I talk with Balotelli? The last time was two years ago, before a match in London," Mancini explained.

"I support Mario, I hope that he will be happy one day."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus 1 Sampdoria 1: Champions´ winning run ended by one of their own

14 December 2014

757498header.jpg

Juventus' run of home wins in Serie A was ended by a 1-1 draw against Sampdoria after a goal from Manolo Gabbiadini, a player they co-own.

Patrice Evra looked to have ensured the Turin club's extraordinary run of 25 home league wins in a row would continue with his first Juventus goal early on.

But following a switch to 4-3-3, Sampdoria improved after the break and half-time substitute Gabbiadini scored a fine equaliser just six minutes into the second half.

Juventus own 50 per cent rights to the player, but he provided a scoring touch against them to halt an incredible winning sequence, which also opens the door for Roma to close the gap on the champions.

Massimiliano Allegri had seen his side's momentum falter of late.

A six-match winning run was ended by a goalless draw at Fiorentina in their previous league outing before another stalemate against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday secured their place in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

Sinisa Mihajlovic's men meanwhile have forced their way into the fight for a spot in next season's Champions League, and are now unbeaten in six league matches.

The champions started without the suspended Giorgio Chiellini, while Andrea Pirlo was rested following his midweek exertions.

But neither was missed as the hosts were on the front foot from the first whistle with Mihajlovic's men almost immediately pegged back to their 18-yard line.

The tone was set early as a string of dangerous crosses were sent into the Samp box in the first six minutes, Alvaro Morata heading one just wide from six yards.

And any remaining fears of a third straight goalless draw were soon alleviated.

Pirlo's replacement, Claudio Marchisio whipped in an inviting 12th-minute corner, which Evra rose highest to meet with his head and claim his first Juve goal.

It was no less than the league leaders deserved, and with Sampdoria offering little by way of an attacking threat, the hosts eased off slightly and lost some of the pace that had characterised their early play.

The visitors committed more men forward as half-time approached, winning two late corners, but a lack of cutting edge prevented them from truly threatening Gianluigi Buffon's goal.

That improved finish to the first period had given Samp an injection of belief and they equalised soon after the break.

Left-back Vasco Regini started a swift break forward after his goalkeeper Sergio Romero added to his growing collection of saves with a diving stop to deny Roberto Pereyra.

The ball was soon at the feet of Gabbiadini on the right-hand side of the box and the forward cut in to curl a left-footed effort into the far corner.

Juve piled on the pressure in search of a winner, introducing Fernando Llorente to spearhead a more direct approach.

But Romero stood firm and Allegri even had Buffon to thank as he denied another fierce Gabbiadini effort at the other end which almost condemned his side to a first Serie A defeat at Juventus Stadium since January 2013 - when Samp were their opponents.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus must be more clinical, says Allegri

721502_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Dec 14, 2014 16:28:00

The champions spurned a number of chances in the first hour against Sampdoria only for Manolo Gabbiadini to punish them on the break

Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri was left frustrated at his side's lack of cutting edge as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Sampdoria on Sunday.

Patrice Evra put the hosts in front during an opening hour in which they dominated proceedings, only for Manolo Gabbiadini to score a fine strike on the break in the second half.

Though left irritated by what he considered to be time-wasting tactics from the visitors, Allegri concedes his side have only themselves to blame after failing to make their dominance count with additional goals.

"I think there should have been more stoppage-time, especially with substitutions and time-wasting. But we have to accept it," he told Sky Sport.

"You can't play for 90 minutes in the way we did the first 55 minutes. We created so many opportunities, didn't allow Sampdoria anything and should've made more of our chances.

"It was a shame we didn't win as we dominated the first half with so many chances. We struggled more after the break, [Gianluigi] Buffon made a great save and we were unable to seal the victory after doing all that we could.

"Samp are very dangerous on the counterattack and we conceded from that. It's a pity. The team gave gave their all and were coming off several games where we've played at a high intensity.

"We remain top of the table and that is what counts."

Roma closed to within a point of the champions at the Serie A summit following their 1-0 win over Genoa.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria president banned after Thohir 'Filipino' remark

699332_heroa.jpg

Dec 15, 2014 20:29:00

Massimo Ferrero has been banned for three months and fined €10,000, with the club hit with a €35,000 sanction after he referred to Erick Thohir as "that Filipino"

Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero has been banned for three months after calling Inter's Indonesian owner Erick Thohir "that Filipino".

Ferrero made the comment in an interview with RAI, discussing Massimo Moratti's decision to resign as Inter's honorary president.

The Samp chief subsequently apologised to Thohir, as well as Inter and the people of the Philippines.

A statement published on the Italian Football Federation's official website on Monday confirmed that Ferrero had been banned for three months and fined €10,000, while Sampdoria have been hit with a €35,000 sanction.

"The National Federal Court chaired by Sergio Artico has dealt Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero a three-month ban and €10,000 fine for insulting statements about the president of Inter, Erick Thohir, made on October 26," it read.

"The club has been penalised with a fine of €35,000."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Inter finally win under Mancini, Torino hold Empoli

15 December 2014

758372header.jpg

Inter gave Roberto Mancini his first Serie A victory since returning to the club with a 2-0 win over Chievo on Monday.

The former Manchester City and Galatasaray boss replaced Walter Mazzarri last month but had failed to win in his opening three league games back in charge at San Siro.

However, goals from Mateo Kovacic and Andrea Ranocchia ended Mancini's wait for three points as they powered past struggling Chievo at Stadio Marc' Antonio Bentegodi.

Kovacic slotted home from six yards after 19 minutes following Mauro Icardi's knock-down to break the deadlock, and Ranocchia doubled Inter's lead just before the hour.

Chievo were frustrated by outstanding Inter keeper Samir Handanovic on their rare attacks, and their evening ended in further disappointment when substitute Ruben Botta was sent off eight minutes after coming on.

The Inter loanee was given two bookings for first leading with an elbow on Zdravko Kuzmanovic, and then appearing to react to the referee's decision with dissent.

In Monday's other Serie A fixture, Empoli were held to a goalless draw by a resolute Torino defence.

The hosts had the better chances at Stadio Carlo Castellani with Matias Vecino and Simone Verdi both going close, while Fabio Quagliarella threatened for Torino with an audacious overhead kick.

Torino finished the match with 10 men after Pontus Jansson was sent off in stoppage time for a second bookable offence, the defender penalised for lunging in on Piotr Zielinski.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Piero the best Italian player ever, says Raul

571291_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Dec 16, 2014 11:30:00

The Spain legend has nothing but positive words for the Delhi Dynamos attacker, while also praising Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo

Former Real Madrid star Raul believes Juventus icon Alessandro Del Piero is the best player in the history of Italian football.

The 40-year-old won six Serie A titles with Juventus as well as lifting the Champions League with the Turin giants in 1995-96, while also guiding Italy to the world title in 2006 and Raul has nothing but praise for the Delhi Dynamos man.

"Del Piero is the best player in the history of Italian football," Raul told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He is a person for who I do not only have a lot of respect, but a lot of affection as well."

The Spaniard then went on to voice his admiration for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who recently bettered his Champions League goal scoring record.

"Who I would like in my team out of Messi and Ronaldo? That's an easy one, I'd want both.

"They are two of the best players in the history of the game, up there with Pele and Diego Maradona.

"Who else could better my Champions League record? I think there will be a few players on the long term. Think about Neymar and Sergio Aguero. But I think there will be more."

Messi currently tops the all-time Champions League top scorer charts with 75 goals, with Ronaldo in second place on 72 goals and Raul completing the podium with 71.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma only behind Juventus because of 'illegal' goals, says Garcia

722512_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Dec 16, 2014 12:54:00

The Frenchman remains furious about the referee's decisions in their Serie A encounter earlier this season and says he wants to win the title for Francesco Totti

Rudi Garcia feels Roma would have been atop of the Serie A table had Juventus not been awarded three "illegal" goals when they met back in October.

Roma were beaten 3-2 by the reigning champions in Turin, with the referee awarding Juve two controversial penalties as well as allowing a goal that could have been disallowed for offside.

The capital club currently sit just one point behind the reigning champions and Garcia feels the events at the Juventus Stadium have become all the more significant.

"We are behind Juventus at the moment, but we should be level because they beat us with three 'illegal' goals," Garcia told France Football.

"I firmly believe in our Scudetto chances and I will not retreat on what I said about our chances of winning the title.

"Winning the title with Roma will be like winning the Ligue 1 title with Lille three years ago.

"I have told Francesco Totti that we want to win a trophy for him. He cannot end his career without winning another title."

Roma have collected 35 points from 15 games so far this season, trailing leaders Juventus by one point.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Morata chasing goals, Roma host Milan

16 December 2014

758829header.jpg

Alvaro Morata is hoping to hit his goalscoring stride as Juventus bid to overcome back-to-back Serie A matches without a win.

The league leaders, who visit Cagliari on Thursday, were held to goalless draw at Fiorentina before Sampdoria came from behind to snatch a point at Juventus Stadium on Sunday.

Another draw - at home to Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League last Tuesday - contributed to what is now a three-match winless run, and the Turin outfit will be keen to rediscover their winning ways.

Morata arrived from Real Madrid for a reported fee of €20million during the close season, and has managed to score four goals in 10 appearances so far this term.

Three of those goals came from the bench, however, and the Spaniard is eager to force his way into the first team.

"I'm very happy to be playing for Juventus," he told Sky. "I'm at the best club in Italy and one of the finest in Europe. We've got through to the Champions League last 16 and are top of the pile in Italy.

"I'm pleased about the opportunity I've been afforded. I could have scored a few more goals though. I've played some decent games but found myself up against goalkeepers in good form.

"It's harder to score in Italy. In Italy the defenders are more experienced and know how to defend better, especially against teams at the top like Juve, where they know they need to defend well if they're going to take points off us.

"It's different tactically in Spain. Everyone charges forward with little thought for the defence and holding positions. I need to adapt because the difference is pretty evident.

"There are certain details the manager and his coaching staff run through with me and when I'm able to carry them out better, I'll be able to improve even further."

Coach Massimiliano Allegri will be absent from the touchline after being handed a one-match touchline ban for his altercation with match officials following the clash with Sampdoria, although the club have since launched an appeal.

Another coach set to serve a ban is Roma's Rudi Garcia, who - after being "aggressive" towards a steward at Genoa - will serve the first match of a two-game suspension as his side host Milan on Saturday.

The men from the Stadio Olimpico are currently one point off the lead and hold a nine-point advantage over third-placed Lazio, who visit Inter on Sunday.

Beleaguered Parma appointed a new president this week, but remain seven points adrift of safety as they prepare to visit Napoli on Thursday.

Cesena are without a win since the opening weekend of the season and travel to Sassuolo on Saturday, while fellow strugglers Chievo face Verona in the Derby della Scalla.

Elsewhere, Atalanta host Palermo, Empoli travel to Fiorentina, Sampdoria welcome Udinese and Torino face Genoa.

After the forthcoming round of fixtures, Serie A will pause for a winter break.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia to fight two-match ban

17 December 2014

759259header.jpg

Rudi Garcia has vowed to fight a two-match ban picked up for an altercation with a steward after Roma's 1-0 win at Genoa on Sunday.

The coach was alleged to have tried to slap the steward in the ill-tempered aftermath of the Serie A encounter, with the league confirming his "aggressive behaviour" in its disciplinary release on Tuesday.

However, Garcia refuses to accept the sanction, describing the judgment as an "intolerable attack" on his honour and reputation.

"Following the unfounded accusations that have been levelled against me and the subsequent sanction, I denounce this intolerable attack on my honour and my reputation," he said in a statement released via his official Twitter account.

"Throughout my career as a footballer, educator and coach I have shown exemplary behaviour that has never wavered.

"I will not accept attempts to sully my name by ascribing to me aggressive gestures that I did not commit, which I deplore and that are contrary to my upbringing.

"I will fight with every means at my disposal to defend myself against this injustice and these lies."

In addition to Garcia's punishment, Roma defender Jose Holebas will serve a one-match suspension for directing a "provocative and insulting" gesture in the direction of home fans.

The club have also been fined €20,000 for failing to co-operate with an investigation into the incident, while the behaviour of Genoa fans earned the hosts a €30,000 penalty.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri has suspension overturned

17 December 2014

759376header.jpg

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has successfully appealed against his one-match touchline ban.

The 47-year-old was handed the sanction on Tuesday following an altercation with match officials after Sunday's 1-1 draw with Sampdoria.

Juve swiftly lodged an appeal against the suspension, which would have seen their coach absent from the touchline for Thursday's Serie A clash with Cagliari.

And it was confirmed on Wednesday that Allegri's appeal had been partially upheld.

The former Milan coach will now pay a fine of €10,000, but will be on the Juve bench at Stadio Sant'Elia on Tuesday.

Allegri has been warned as to his future conduct by the Italian Football Federation's appeals court.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Juventus and Napoli brush aside lowly opponents

18 December 2014

760048header.jpg

Juventus and Napoli completed routine wins over Serie A strugglers on Thursday ahead of their Supercoppa Italiana clash.

Defending champions Juventus ensured they headed into Monday's showpiece showdown in Qatar and the mid-season break at the top of the table by winning 3-1 at third-bottom Cagliari.

Carlos Tevez struck from close range to put Massimiliano Allegri's team ahead and a magnificent second by Arturo Vidal meant it was 2-0 to the visitors with a quarter of an hour played.

Spain forward Fernando Llorente scuffed home a third six minutes into the second half, meaning Cagliari remain without a win since the end of October, despite Luca Rossettini heading them onto the scoresheet.

Napoli also did their damage during the first half of a 2-0 triumph at home to basement boys Parma.

Duvan Zapata showed excellent strength and determination to steer his team into a 19th-minute lead.

The second arrived from the penalty spot with half an hour played as Massimo Gobbi clumsily fouled Dries Mertens and the same player converted.

Napoli climb to third ahead of the weekend fixtures, while Parma have a paltry total of six points from 16 matches.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia wins appeal against two-match ban

19 December 2014

303717-rudi-garcia-gen-roma-700.jpg

​Roma coach Rudi Garcia will be in the dugout against Milan on Saturday after winning an appeal against a two-game touchline ban.

Garcia was handed the suspension following an altercation in the tunnel following Roma's 1-0 win at Genoa last Sunday.

The Frenchman was accused of attempting to physically attack at steward at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

However, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) confirmed that it had suspended the sanction after the steward in question had reportedly partially withdrawn his statement.

Roma's Greek defender Jose Holebas has also had his one-match ban overturned following an appeal, meaning that he will be able to play as the capital club bid to keep up the pressure on Serie A leaders Juventus with victory over Milan at the Stadio Olimpico.

A €20,000 fine levied against Roma has also been suspended, however, there was no such luck for Genoa forward Diego Perotti, who has seen his appeal against a three-match ban for dissent towards referee Luca Banti rejected.

Meanwhile, Sampdoria coach Sinisa Mihajlovic's two-match Coppa Italia touchline ban for insulting a match official has been halved. Additionally, the Serb has been fined €5,000.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: Inter can finish third

20 December 2014

760727header.jpg

Inter coach Roberto Mancini remains confident his side can secure third spot in Serie A despite their rocky recent form.

Inter, who host fourth-placed Lazio on Sunday, have won just two out of six matches in all competitions since Mancini returned to San Siro last month and sit 11th in Serie A.

However, the former Manchester City boss has not given up hope of achieving a lofty position.

"The lads are looking good, we just have to make sure we keep improving. It's always better after a win," explained the Italian, a former player and coach with Lazio.

"We've lost two games so I can't be happy. I'm pleased with the atmosphere around the team. There's still a long way to go in the league. I think we'll be in the mix for third place.

"We mustn't look at the table for now, just keep on putting points on the board. All the sides above us are battling for third place. We need to put together a run of good results.

"A win [on Sunday] would be a boost for our self-esteem."

Midfielder Hernanes, another Lazio old boy, may return this weekend after recovering from a leg injury.

"Hernanes is better now and trained with the team all week. He'll start on the bench and could play," said Mancini.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: 10-man Milan frustrate Roma, Cesena rescue point

20 December 2014

761057header.jpg

Roma had to settle for a frustrating goalless stalemate with 10-man Milan, while Cesena snatched a point from Sassuolo in a 1-1 draw.

Rudi Garcia's Roma side sought to move within one point of Serie A leaders Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico ahead of the mid-season break on Saturday.

And Roma produced the better of the first-half chances with the impressive Gervinho forcing Diego Lopez in a smart save after jinking his way into the penalty area.

The hosts thought they should have had a penalty before the break when Nigel de Jong handled in the area, but referee Nicola Rizzoli was uninterested.

Milan's hopes of earning a victory that would have moved them level with third-placed Napoli were dealt a blow in the 71st-minute when Pablo Armero received a second yellow card and subsequent red for deliberate handball.

The numerical advantage failed to yield a winner for Roma, though, despite another mazy run from Gervinho - who was again denied by Lopez from close range in injury time.

At the Stadio Citta del Tricolore, Sassuolo were looking to return to winning ways on home turf against Cesena having drawn at Roma and lost at Palermo in their last two Serie A outings.

It looked as though that would be the case when Italy striker Simone Zaza opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 76th minute for his fifth league goal of the campaign.

However, there was a late twist for 19th-placed Cesena when Ze Eduardo rescued a point in the fourth minute of injury time.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Lazio go third despite Inter rally, Sampdoria held

21 December 2014

761563header.jpg

Lazio nudged up to third place in Serie A after a 2-2 draw at Inter but were left to rue letting a 2-0 lead slip at the San Siro on Sunday.

In-form Brazilian striker Felipe Anderson put the visitors ahead after just two minutes and doubled the advantage before half-time.

However, the hosts rallied in the second period as Mateo Kovacic fired in a fierce volley from the edge of the area and Rodrigo Palacio levelled 10 minutes from time.

Sampdoria also had to settle for a share of the spoils when their clash with Udinese finished 2-2 at Luigi Ferraris.

Pedro Obiang put the hosts ahead before goals from Alex Geijo and Danilo put Udinese in front prior to half-time.

However, Manolo Gabbiadini drew Sampdoria back level in the 60th minute.

Udinese were forcing all the action to find a winner - as Geijo hit the post with a header, before they had Thomas Heurtaux sent off late on.

Chievo moved away from the relegation zone as Alberto Paloschi's 81st-minute strike proved the winner in their 1-0 success at Verona.

Torino came from behind to beat Genoa 2-1 at Stadio Olimpico, with Kamil Glik bagging a brace after Iago Falque had put the visitors in front.

Fiorentina and Empoli drew 1-1 at Artemio Franchi, with Juan Manuel Vargas breaking the deadlock just before the break but Lorenzo Tonelli equalised in the 57th minute to earn his side an away point.

German Denis netted twice as Atalanta rallied to secure a 3-3 draw with Palermo on home turf.

Maximiliano Moralez also netted for the hosts after Luca Rigoni's early effort and Franco Vazquez's brace had the visitors on a winning path with a 3-1 lead at the interval.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini plays down Lennon transfer rumours

21 December 2014

761580header.jpg

Inter manager Roberto Mancini has dismissed reports linking the Serie A side with a move for Tottenham Hotspur winger Aaron Lennon.

The Italian outfit are expected to be active in the January transfer window after a moderate first half of the season which has left them lying in 11th place.

However, after drawing 2-2 with Lazio, Mancini told the club website: "Lennon? We have not talked about him. This is not part of our plans, but there will probably be other players if we can get them.

"However, the team must continue to work regardless of any purchases. We have to find the right continuity for the whole of the game and this can only be done by working."

Inter have only won one of their past six home games in Serie A after Felipe Anderson's brace put Lazio in control at half-time before Mateo Kovacic and Rodrigo Palacio hit back.

"We made mistakes and we make two steps forward, but one step back," added Mancini. "But it will take time and I have to improve so many areas.

"There is a little fear there at the San Siro, especially when things go wrong. We have to overcome this, but we'll make it."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan chief Galliani targets Champions League

22 December 2014

761768header.jpg

Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani believes the club are making progress and should target next season's UEFA Champions League.

After a disappointing campaign under Massimiliano Allegri and then Clarence Seedorf in 2013-14, the Italian giants have shown signs of improvement with Filippo Inzaghi at the helm.

Saturday's 0-0 draw at title challengers Roma - despite playing the final 20 minutes with 10 men after Pablo Armero was sent off - was another encouraging result, with Milan heading into the mid-season break having lost just three of their 16 Serie A matches this season.

Inzaghi's men lie seventh in the table, just two points from third and the final Champions League qualifying berth.

With the previous season's eighth-placed finish seeing them miss out on European qualification altogether, Galliani sees no reason why the improvements under Inzaghi should not lead to Milan challenging the top three this time around.

"The match in Rome was one in which we showed we were a team: we showed spirit, desire and determination, even with 10 men we continued to fight," he told Corriere della Sera.

"If we play like this we can compete for a Champions League place.

"It seems to me like the tide has turned. Last year we always lost against the big teams."