• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koke affirms commitment to Atletico

15 May 2015

844773header.jpg

Koke has claimed he will shun big-money offers to remain at Atletico Madrid next season.

The Spain international has been linked with Premier League giants including both Manchester clubs and Chelsea.

Koke is under contract at the Vicente Calderon until 2019, although it has been suggested Atletico may offer him fresh terms which would include an increased buy-out clause in an attempt to ward off potential suitors.

And the player himself offered an encouraging sign when asked if he was "100 per cent certain" where his future lies.

"Yes, I will play here," he simply replied.

Koke's commitment provides a boost for Diego Simeone who has also tied down Saul to a five-year deal recently.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real to assess Ramos calf injury

15 May 2015

844824header.jpg

Sergio Ramos will be evaluated by Real Madrid's medical staff after it was confirmed that the defender is suffering from a calf injury.

Real announced on Friday that Ramos had sustained a grade one muscle injury in the soleus of his left leg.

The revelation follows reports in Spain that Ramos would miss the final two games of the season after allegedly playing the full 90 minutes of Real's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg against Juventus with "a ripped calf".

After suffering elimination 3-2 on aggregate following a 1-1 draw in Wednesday's clash, Real - who are four points adrift of La Liga leaders Barcelona with two matches to play - round of their campaign with games versus Espanyol and Getafe.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico Madrid v Barcelona: Catalans aim to reclaim title at Calderon

15 May 2015

844923header.jpg

Barcelona can reclaim La Liga at the Vicente Calderon on Sunday, exactly a year to the day that Atletico Madrid won the title at Camp Nou.

Diego Simeone's Atletico were confirmed as champions for the first time in 18 years on La Liga's final day on May 17 last year following a 1-1 draw at Barcelona, as Diego Godin's header cancelled out Alexis Sanchez's opener.

Having seen prized assets such as Diego Costa and Filipe Luis depart to win the Premier League with Chelsea, Atletico have rarely looked like defending the title.

The hosts sit 13 points adrift of leaders Barca going into the penultimate game of the campaign, with their only remaining goal to secure third place and a UEFA Champions League group-stage spot ahead of Valencia.

Victory on Sunday would ensure that objective is completed, but all the focus will be on Luis Enrique's Barca as they attempt to seal the first trophy of a potential treble.

Barca, who have the Copa del Rey and Champions League finals to come, are four points ahead of Real Madrid and will win the league for the 23rd time with a win in the Spanish capital or by at least matching Real's result at Espanyol.

"To have the chance to win the treble at this point in the season doesn't happen often," said Barca defender Gerard Pique.

"We are fighting for the treble, but taking into account what is being said, I get the feeling that we have already won the treble.

"There is not much to go, but it is the most difficult part, we have to be united.

"What I want is to win the league as quickly as possible. Let's hope that it is at the Calderon. If we get to that point, it means that we have done everything very well indeed. I think people are behind us and are hungry for trophies."

The visitors may have to clinch the title without striker Luis Suarez, who is nursing a hamstring injury. Midfielder Tiago is Atletico's only absentee due to suspension.

Atletico striker Fernando Torres, meanwhile, is not focused on the prospect of Barca winning the title at the Calderon.

Torres said: "We hope to win the match and secure that third place. But football is like that.

"Atletico became champion last year at the Camp Nou, and as football and fate would have it, Barcelona have the possibility of becoming champion on our field.

"But that does not tell us anything because we are fighting a different war, to win to be third and achieve the objective we need."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Espanyol v Read Madrid: Ancelotti looks for win to end torrid week

15 May 2015

845000header.jpg

The future of Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti is shrouded in doubt as he takes his side to Espanyol for the penultimate game of their La Liga season.

A four-point gap between Real and leaders Barcelona means Ancelotti's men require victories from their final two Liga matches and for Luis Enrique's side to fail to win their remaining fixtures to clinch the title.

Four points from their last two games would be enough for Real should Barca lose to both Atletico Madrid and Deportivo La Coruna, but given that the Catalan giants have been defeated just four times in the league in the whole of 2014-15 and have won 11 of their last 12 Liga outings, the task facing Real is bordering on the impossible.

Regardless of how Barca fare at Atletico on Sunday, Ancelotti will be keen to bounce back from the midweek UEFA Champions League semi-final exit to Juventus and quieten the fierce speculation over his position.

The headlines following Real's 3-2 aggregate defeat spoke of a crisis at the Santiago Bernabeu and much is being made of Ancelotti's failure to win La Liga during his tenure, although he did deliver Champions League glory last season.

Real are hoping to avoid a fourth consecutive winless game and the Italian coach has the backing of his players.

Defender Sergio Ramos told Marca: "It's not up to us if Ancelotti stays, although no one has spoken more highly of our manager than I have. But it isn't up to me."

He added: "The stats back him up. Other people have to weigh things up and draw conclusions.

"If Real Madrid ruled Europe, part of the reason was Ancelotti."

Ramos faces a fitness test to determine whether he will feature at Espanyol, having allegedly played the entire second leg against Juventus with a tear in his calf muscle.

Should Ramos miss out, Pepe could return to the starting line-up alongside Raphael Varane, but Ancelotti is unlikely to make any other changes to the team that lost to Juventus.

Toni Kroos and Isco are expected to continue in midfield in the absence of the injured Luka Modric and Sami Khedira, and Gareth Bale should keep his place despite being the target of criticism after both legs of the Juventus defeat.

Espanyol will be keen to continue the good form that has seen them lose only one of their last 10 games.

After a convincing 2-0 win over Eibar in their last outing, Sergio Gonzalez's side will be keen to leapfrog Athletic Bilbao and Malaga into seventh and make a vast improvement on their 14th-placed finish in La Liga in 2013-14.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Barca can wrap up title after difficult week for Spanish football

15 May 2015

844972header.jpg

Barcelona can put an end to La Liga's title race with victory at defending champions Atletico Madrid on Sunday, but build-up to the competition's penultimate round of fixtures has been dominated by off-field wranglings over the distribution of television money.

Last week, the Spanish Football Federation announced plans to suspend all domestic football from May 16 over an ongoing dispute with the government.

The strike subsequently earned the support of the Spanish players' union, but was challenged by the Liga de Futbol Profesional before the High Court found in the league's favour on Thursday.

That decision paved the way for the final two rounds of the season, as well as the Copa del Rey final between Barca and Athletic Bilbao, to go ahead as planned.

For the Catalan giants, that means a chance to pick up their first silverware of the season, having secured their place in the UEFA Champions League final with a 5-3 aggregate victory over Bayern Munich in midweek.

Sunday's fixture comes exactly a year after Atleti clinched their first league title in 18 years with a 1-1 draw at Camp Nou.

Barca are four points clear of second-placed Real Madrid and will be crowned Spanish champions for the 23rd time with three points.

A draw would be enough if Real do likewise at Espanyol, while defeat for Carlo Ancelotti's men would hand the trophy to Luis Enrique's side regardless of the result at the Vicente Calderon.

Real will be desperate to bounce back from the midweek disappointment of their Champions League semi-final elimination at the hands of Juventus.

Valencia host Celta Vigo hoping to fend off the challenge of Sevilla and cling onto the fourth Champions League spot, while Villarreal are already assured of UEFA Europa League football ahead of their clash with Malaga.

At the other end of the table, Cordoba - who take on Rayo Vallecano - are already relegated, but the fight for survival is heading for a thrilling conclusion above them.

Granada have boosted their chances of remaining in the top flight with back-to-back wins and head to Real Sociedad this weekend, while free-falling Eibar visit Getafe, who would be safe with a win.

Two consecutive draws for Deportivo La Coruna have kept Granada in the bottom three on head-to-head record, with Victor Sanchez's men hosting Levante on Sunday, while Almeria will have to put in some performance to better their chances of survival at Europa League finalists Sevilla.

In the weekend's remaining fixture, Elche play host to Athletic Bilbao.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid perfect for Pogba - Desailly

20 May 2015

847533header.jpg

Real Madrid would be the perfect club for Paul Pogba if the midfielder leaves Juventus, according to former France international Marcel Desailly.

Pogba is in demand after his displays for Juve this season, which have helped keep Massimiliano Allegri's men in the hunt for three trophies including the UEFA Champions League.

Real Madrid, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain have all been linked with moves for the 22-year-old France international.

Desailly, who enjoyed a successful career with the likes of Milan and Chelsea, feels Pogba may want to stay at Juve – but Real would otherwise be the ideal suitors.

"I think either he stays, because he has three more years with Juventus, they're in the final of the Champions League [and] they won Serie A," Desailly told Perform.

"Why would he want to move from there? Unless a crazy club comes in and puts big money on.

"City, I think, would be just for the money. Real Madrid would be for the prestige.

"Madrid is probably the best club for him, where the philosophy of the game is to play forward. If they play three in midfield - Isco, [Toni] Kroos and even [Luka] Modric - if he comes, Madrid could be tactically the best team for him to express himself. He would be an amazing player.

"The only problem he would have is, he likes to go forward, but on the left side you have Cristiano Ronaldo. If the new coach of Madrid comes and [Gareth] Bale plays on the left and you have Cristiano Ronaldo up front, then you have a bit of a problem [for Pogba] on that side where he likes to express himself most of the time.

"But if he leaves Juventus, Madrid is the best club for him. If you leave Juventus - I know Serie A is not the best league but it is a prestigious club - he needs to go to Real Madrid."

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone: Work ethic crucial to Atletico success

20 May 2015

847518header.jpg

Atletico Madrid must work harder than their illustrious rivals for success as they cannot keep on a financial level, says Diego Simeone.

During the head coach's reign Atleti have soared back to the top of La Liga and become a genuine contender with Barcelona and Real Madrid, lifting their first league title since 1996 in the previous campaign.

However, repeating the success has proved difficult and Atleti still need a single point to ensure third place and a place in the UEFA Champions League group stages next season.

"For Atleti to keep on winning we can only do one thing - that is to work and fight," he told Onda Cero.

"I wanted to bring back the feeling of belonging to the club, to feel its spirit. That's something you can do to compensate for not being able to sign a player for €100million.

"If we don't see what the reality is then it becomes very difficult for us to compete. It's not enough to just have talent at Atletico Madrid.

"At other clubs it is, but we can't sign superstars and have to look for players with a good work ethic.

"This year has been our most difficult because we have set the bar so high."

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Almeria to learn fate next week

20 May 2015

847596header.jpg

La Liga strugglers Almeria have announced the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will rule next week whether FIFA's deduction of three points from the club will be upheld.

Football's governing body imposed the punishment on Almeria in February in relation to money owed to Aalborg following the transfer of Michael Jakobsen in 2012.

The defender has since returned to Denmark, but Aalborg had claimed Almeria still owed money to them as part of the deal, leading to FIFA handing out the deduction.

Almeria took the case to CAS, and provided the latest update in a statement on the club's official website.

It read: "The Court of Arbitration for Sport will not decide until next week on the FIFA sanction imposed on Almeria, to deduct three points and pay 4,500 euros in interest.

"Almeria has requested the CAS accept their claims and declare this matter complete. The club have also called for the suspension of the sanction.

"As mentioned, CAS will decide next week, starting on Tuesday."

An immediate three-point deduction would relegate Almeria - who face Valencia on the final weekend of the season - to the Segunda Division.

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Xavi confirms Barcelona departure

21 May 2015

848101header.jpg

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has confirmed he will leave the club at the end of the season to join Qatari side Al Sadd on an initial two-year deal.

The diminutive playmaker has played an integral role at Camp Nou for over a decade since making his debut in 1998, featuring in over 700 matches and lifting 23 trophies with the Catalan giants.

Xavi's performances defined a generation at Barca - his calm, controlled play in the middle of the pitch crucial as the club enjoyed a period of great success under Pep Guardiola.

Now 35, Xavi's role has become that of a squad player rather than a regular first-team starter and he has opted to end his association with Barca on a high after claiming an eighth Liga title last weekend.

In his final weeks as a Barcelona player, Xavi has the chance to lift his second domestic and European treble.

Barca take on Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey final at the end of May before meeting Juventus in the final of the UEFA Champions League on June 6.

Speaking at a press conference, Xavi said: "I'd like to confirm that I will leave Barcelona at the end of the season. I think this is the time to leave, that is what I feel, this is time to leave, I am not playing as many minutes and feel it is time for a change of air.

"It has been a very difficult decision. I was offered another option (until 2018) but by then I had already made my mind up, I feel I need a change.

"Today I officially told the squad and manager, but I think that they knew. For several months I've had this idea in my head, the offer of a contract [from Barca] made me rethink but this is the time to go.

"I will go to Qatar with Al Sadd, I have signed a contract for two years, it's an important project.

"The script could not have been better, we've won the league, I'm excited to lift the trophy for the last time, I'm going to enjoy every moment of it.

"My objective is to come back here [to Barcelona] and work one day, that is my ultimate aim as it is my home, whether it is a manager or sporting director we'll see."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benzema sustains hamstring injury

21 May 2015

848100header.jpg

Real Madrid are monitoring the progress of Karim Benzema after confirming that the striker has sustained a hamstring injury.

The Liga runners-up revealed on Thursday that tests had discovered the France international has suffered a "tear in his right rectus femoris muscle".

Benzema has endured a season hampered by injury problems and only made his return from an ankle problem in the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg against Juventus last week.

Former Lyon star Benzema has scored 22 goals in 46 games in all competitions this season.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koke wants to be Atleti´s Gerrard

21 May 2015

847943header.jpg

Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke has no plans to leave the La Liga club, with the Spain international prepared to follow in the footsteps of Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard.

Koke, who emerged from Atletico's youth ranks in 2009, has been linked with an off-season switch to the Premier League, with champions Chelsea among those interested.

But the 22-year-old has once again dismissed suggestions he will leave Madrid, insisting he wants to build a legacy at his boyhood club, just like Gerrard, who is set to end a 28-year association with Liverpool.

"I have a contract with Atletico, I want to accomplish things and I am happy here," Koke said.

"Of course I'd like to be Atleti's Gerrard."

Koke refused to weigh in on the ongoing speculation surrounding goalkeeper and Spain team-mate David De Gea, who is tipped to swap Manchester United for Real Madrid at the end of the campaign.

"David is a good friend of mine and at the moment he is a player of Manchester," the Spaniard said.

"If someday he is a Madrid player I'll have an opinion."

De Gea's potential move to the Santiago Bernabeu could signal the end of veteran Iker Casillas, whom Koke believes is being treated unfairly by Real's supporters.

"With Iker we all know him, I wouldn't like to be in his skin after what has happened at Real Madrid and the Spanish national team. It is a true injustice," he added.

"A week ago we saw the goodbye to Gerrard at Liverpool and now you see Casillas, who is a symbol, who is being whistled and it is unfair."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Xavi: Barca will survive without me

21 May 2015

678c663a20bd4374a28bd311e2dd0091.jpg

Xavi has reassured Barcelona's supporters the club will continue to progress without him nestled in the heart of midfield.

The 35-year-old confirmed on Thursday that he will leave the Catalan giants at the end of the season to join Al Sadd in Qatar, bringing his lengthy association with Barca to an end.

Having arrived as an 11-year-old, Xavi broke into the first team in 1998 and went on to establish himself as an integral figure as Barca prospered with their tiki-taka style of play.

And he has no doubt the club will enjoy further success, pointing to the way they have coped with similar high-profile exits in the past.

"Barca will carry on winning, competing and playing well, history has shown that," he said. "We have seen big players leave before and [the club] always rebuilt and continued.

"Barca will bring through new players from inside and outside the club so I don't think they'll be a problem. Barca will continue to be a great club, no doubt about that.

"It's difficult to say who will replace me. I came in for Pep [Guardiola], that was a huge responsibility, so nobody was a successor for him and nobody will be a direct successor of me.

"The team is more important than any individual. The team have played without me this season and been fantastic. There are always going to be home-grown players at this club."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bartomeu hits out at Ancelotti to Barca rumours

21 May 2015

848206header.jpg

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has hit out at suggestions the club could pursue Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti to replace Luis Enrique.

Luis Enrique has done a fine job in his debut season at Camp Nou, leading Barca to the Liga title and the finals of the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.

However, he has yet to confirm that he will remain in the job next season and reports in Spain suggested that Ancelotti - whose future at the Santiago Bernabeu is doubtful - is on a shortlist of candidates to join Real's fierce rivals.

Bartomeu offered a strong rebuttal to such talk and hopes that Luis Enrique will stay put.

"We are very angry about the Carlo Ancelotti situation," he told radio station RAC1.

"I say to our members that this is not true and it seems they want to destabilise the club.

"The club needs tranquillity because we have a cup final and a Champions League final. It seems someone wants to destabilise us. There is no list of coaches.

"Luis Enrique has a contract and he will continue. He has done a great job. Will the contract be extended? We'll talk about that in the future."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona v Deportivo La Coruna: Xavi prepares to bid farewell to La Liga

21 May 2015

848275header.jpg

Champions Barcelona will bid a fond La Liga farewell to one of the most decorated players in the club's history, as Xavi plays his final league match against a Deportivo La Coruna side who are not yet safe from relegation.

Barca won their seventh league title in the past decade with a 1-0 victory at former champions Atletico Madrid last Sunday, talisman Lionel Messi fittingly scoring the winner with his 41st league goal of a typically prolific season.

The Camp Nou faithful will hail that triumph, but will also celebrate the career of a player who has been one of the driving forces behind Barcelona's success.

Midfielder Xavi announced on Thursday that he will join Qatari side Al Sadd at the end of the season, bringing an end to an association with the club that started at the age of 11.

Having broken into the first team in 1998, Xavi has gone on to rack up a club-record 764 appearances for Barca, during which time he has won eight Liga titles, two Copa del Reys and the UEFA Champions League three times.

The former Spain international can add to his trophy collection as Barca still have the Copa final against Athletic Bilbao and the Champions League showpiece versus Juventus to come.

The 35-year-old admits announcing the decision has not been easy, but he is now focused on helping Barca achieve a famous treble.

"I was tense and nervous in recent days. It's a unique situation, a rough mixture of feelings. Nostalgia, sorrow, and joy. I wanted to choose the right time for the club and now I want to focus on the two finals," he said.

"We're favourites in both finals and it won't be easy. Athletic and Juve will be tough opponents."

While one Barca career is drawing to a close, another may finally be started as Thomas Vermaelen remains in contention to make his bow after an injury-hit debut campaign since joining from Arsenal.

Deportivo will be desperate to ruin Xavi's send-off as Victor Sanchez's men are fourth bottom and just two points above the relegation zone heading into the final weekend.

Eibar, who are 18th, have a much more favourable match at home Cordoba, meaning Deportivo - 2-0 victors over Levante last week - will need a point to guarantee safety - their superior head-to-head record over Eibar will prove decisive if both teams finish on 35 points.

Deportivo know they are up against it, though. They have not beaten Barca since April 2008 and a hat-trick from Lionel Messi inspired the Catalans to a 4-0 victory in January.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Granada v Atletico Madrid: Tiago ready for difficult final day

21 May 2015

848283header.jpg

Atletico Madrid midfielder Tiago has been keen to stress the importance of their final-day La Liga clash with relegation-threatened Granada on Saturday.

The deposed champions head into the clash at Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes still not secure of third place and a spot in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Diego Simeone's men are three points clear of fourth-placed Valencia - who visit another side in danger of the drop in Almeria - but have a worse head-to-head record against Nuno's side.

Granada are two points clear of second-bottom Almeria and third-bottom Eibar and will be safe should both those sides suffer last-day defeats.

Wins for either of that duo could throw Granada's league status into doubt, although they do have the benefit of a superior head-to-head record versus fourth-bottom Deportivo La Coruna, who visit new champions Barcelona.

Tiago told a pre-match press conference: "It's hard to think that a match can define a season but it's true that this point is very important to us.

"Being third is not the same as being fourth and we are aware that it's going to be very difficult, that we're going to play a very complicated match against a rival that also needs the points. It's crucial for us to finish third.

"All the teams that need points in the last round play a final because it's their last chance. It's a match that will decide a whole year and it's always difficult to face such a game.

"We have to be ready for a difficult match."

Safety for Granada seemed an improbable prospect at the start of the month before a run of three straight wins has seen them surge towards survival.

Midfielder Ruben Perez believes Granada need to be patient against an Atletico side with the second best defensive record in the league.

"A month [ago] it was almost impossible for us to get salvation and now we are a game away from doing so," Perez said.

"The most important thing is to play a long game, do not concede a goal and take advantage of the chances we have to bring us three points."

Granada will be without midfielder Javi Marquez and forward Lass Bangoura due to suspension.

And, with the Andalusians winless against Atletico since their return to La Liga in 2011, the hosts are more likely to face a nervous wait to discover whether they will be spending another season in La Liga.

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Getafe: Ancelotti banned in potential Bernabeu farewell

21 May 2015

848346header.jpg

Real Madrid round off a disappointing end to the Liga season against Getafe on Saturday, in what is widely speculated to be Carlo Ancelotti's final match as head coach.

Madrid were seeing off all comers during a record-breaking 22-match winning streak before the mid-season break.

However, the campaign has tailed off for Madrid and Barcelona's 1-0 victory at previous champions Atletico Madrid means the Liga title is heading to Camp Nou for the seventh time in the last 10 years.

Real have won eight of their past nine league matches, but the writing was on the wall from the moment they lost March's Clasico 2-1 in Barcelona.

Disappointment in the league has been compounded by the fact Real have also relinquished their Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League crowns this term.

Subsequently, the future of coach Ancelotti has been plunged into doubt, with many tipping Real to bring his two-year stay in the Spanish capital to an end.

It means the Italian has possibly sat in the Real dugout for the last time as he continues to serve a touchline ban.

Real, who last won the title under Jose Mourinho in 2012, will at least try and finish their campaign off in style against fellow Madrid side Getafe.

January's reverse fixture ended in a 3-0 victory for Real, in a match that saw Cristiano Ronaldo score two of his astonishing return of 45 Liga goals this term.

Ominously, Ronaldo has faced Getafe four times at the Bernabeu in his career with a goal return of nine.

Striker Karim Benzema is absent for Real, though, the France international has been hampered by injuries recently and will miss out this time with a torn thigh.

For Getafe, there is nothing riding on the result of the match as they are safe from the threat of relegation.

Pablo Franco Martin's side flirted with the drop after losing five straight matches, a run that only came to an end in a 1-1 draw against relegation-threatened Eibar last weekend.

With much uncertainty at Real, Getafe may see this as the ideal time to win at the Bernabeu for the first time since February 2008, but attacking midfielder Pablo Sarabia is expecting a typically tough encounter.

"It's never a good time to go to the Bernabeu," he said. "But the important thing is we are safe.

"We will try to make the match as even as possible. The team is confident."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal
La Liga Preview: Eibar, Almeria hoping for final-day salvation

22 May 2015

849030header.jpg

Eibar will look to keep their fairytale journey in La Liga going on Saturday when they host Cordoba needing to win and hope other results go their way to survive.

The Basque minnows earned promotion to the top flight last season for the first time in their history, and started the campaign well before tailing away.

Such has been the change in their fortunes they have fallen from eighth to 18th going into the final round, but they can still survive.

Victory over already relegated Cordoba and defeats for Deportivo L a Coruna or Granada would be enough for Gaizka Garitano's side, but the head coach only wants his players to focus on success in their match.

"We have to win anyway and see if other results go our way," he said.

"We have to forget the other games and head into ours knowing we will only stay in the first division if we win.

"We must be brave and give our best. If it goes well, it will be remembered for many years.

"When we have been in tough situations before we have done well, so I am optimistic."

Eibar are one of four sides fighting to avoid relegation on the final day, with Almeria the other side occupying a place in the drop zone ahead of kick-off.

They face a much tougher challenge though as Valencia – who are chasing a place in Europe – travel to the Estadio de los Juegos Mediterraneos, Almeria also needing a win to have a hope of survival.

Deportivo and Granada have a two-point cushion on the bottom three but both could face anxious waits given they face Barcelona and Atletico Madrid respectively.

While Barca have little to play for having already secured the title, they will be keen to finish on a high as they lift the trophy and say goodbye to their inspirational captain Xavi.

Real Madrid – like Barca – have already secured a top three place leaving little on the line when they host city neighbours Getafe but Atletico know they need a point against Granada to secure third.

UEFA Europa League finalists Sevilla will hope to oust Valencia from the fourth – and final – Champions League spot with victory over Malaga, although they have not won in their past three trips to La Rosaleda.

Sixth-placed Villarreal – who are guaranteed a Europa League place – host Athletic Bilbao with the visitors looking to maintain their seven-match unbeaten streak ahead of the Copa del Rey final.

Meanwhile, Levante entertain Elche, Espanyol travel to Celta Vigo and Rayo Vallecano host Real Sociedad a day after coach Paco Jemez signed a new one-year contract.

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valverde signs new Bilbao contract

22 May 2015

848631header.jpg

Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde has signed a new one-year deal with the Liga club.

Valverde took over for a second stint in charge of Bilbao back in 2013 and led the Basque club to fourth place as well as a spot in the UEFA Champions League in his first season back at the helm.

The 2014-15 campaign has not been as successful, with Bilbao sitting seventh in the league going into Saturday's final-day clash with Villarreal.

Bilbao were knocked out in the group stage of the Champions League and lost to Torino in the last 32 of the UEFA Europa League.

Despite those disappointments, Bilbao appear to be satisfied with Valverde, handing him a contract that will keep him at the club until the end of next season.

Postiga

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti expects to stay at Real despite speculation

22 May 2015

848665header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti expects to stay at Real Madrid despite growing speculation surrounding his future.

Reports have suggested Ancelotti is to be removed from his position following a season in which Real have missed out on the Liga title and failed to defend the UEFA Champions League.

Napoli coach Rafael Benitez is rumoured to be in line to take over from Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"I'm still thinking I'm going to be the manager of this club until the club tells me otherwise," Ancelotti said at his pre-match press conference prior to Real's Liga finale against Getafe on Saturday.

"[On] Sunday or Monday we'll have a meeting on what's going to happen in the future, both my future and the players' future.

"My feeling is that I will be here. The club is evaluating things, that's normal. I like this club, I like these players and I like this city."

Asked about his relationship with president Florentino Perez, Ancelotti - who was applauded by journalists after the press conference - added: "I've always had a very good relationship with the president.

"I know this is a tough moment for the club, they're going to have to make a decision.

"I haven't seen anything different from the last two years. If the club decides to change manager, it's fine by me.

"I'm happy here, I want to stay here. If I go, I'll have had two great years here. Hopefully I can evaluate the third and fourth year as well.

"In these two years, I've had some happy times, some sad times but that's why I have to evaluate the whole.

"Overall, it's been very good. My conscience is clean, I've given everything. These are things that happen in football."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique refuses to be drawn on Barca future

22 May 2015

848710header.jpg

Luis Enrique is refusing to discuss his future until the end of the season, despite president Josep Maria Bartomeu stating that the Barcelona coach will stay at the club.

Barcelona will seal a famous treble in Luis Enrique's first season in charge if they beat Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey a week on Saturday and Juventus in the UEFA Champions League final a week later.

Despite such impressive exploits in his maiden campaign at the helm, reports have claimed that the former Spain international may be set to leave Camp Nou.

Barca president Bartomeu this week stated that Luis Enrique will remain with the Spanish champions, amid talk of Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti being in contention to take over.

Luis Enrique, however, refused to be drawn on talk of his position on the eve of Xavi's Camp Nou farewell against Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

He said: "I have nothing to comment on that matter, I am thinking about three games: one in the league and two finals. That's all I am going to be talking about right now.

"I have got nothing special to say on the matter anyway, but I'm not going to speak about that until the end of the season.

"What I do is focus on what I can control at the moment, which is the games that we've got left to play."

The Barca coach respects Xavi's decision to join Qatar club Al Sadd and expects the long-serving captain to get a great send-off.

He said: "We've spoken about Xavi infinite times. He's now made his decision, he's said what he feels, what he thinks is correct for himself.

"Unfortunately it's a decision that players when they get to a certain age have to make. I think this is the right time, it's a good time to say goodbye to the Camp Nou and hopefully he will get the best farewell possible.

"If he was going to stay the same age for the rest of his life then we would renew his contract 25 more times times, but age catches up with all of us.

"For me he is still quite capable of playing for Barca for at least one more season, but that is his decision."