• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Levante: Under pressure Ancelotti in need of win

13 March 2015 21:48

804019header.jpg

The visit of Levante could provide the perfect tonic for a Real Madrid side in desperate need of a La Liga win at the Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday.

Real have fallen a point behind Barcelona at the top of the table following a 1-1 draw with Villarreal and a 1-0 defeat at Athletic Bilbao.

Their slump continued on Tuesday with a 4-3 loss to Schalke in the UEFA Champions League last 16 second leg, with Real narrowly progressing 5-4 on aggregate.

That disappointing defensive performance has led to speculation over the future of coach Carlo Ancelotti, with reports suggesting the Italian could be removed from his post.

However, club president Florentino Perez has insisted he has faith in the man who led them to 'La Decima' glory last term.

Additionally, there has been concern over the form of forward Gareth Bale, who has not scored since the 2-1 win at Cordoba in January.

Despite Real's recent struggles, Ancelotti should be confident of a win to ease the strain on his shoulders versus a Levante side who sit fourth bottom in the division.

The Valencia-based outfit have a dreadful record against Real, having lost six straight games to the European champions, a run that includes a 5-0 home defeat to the capital club back in October.

Attacking midfielder James Rodriguez remains out of action for Real with a fractured metatarsal, but Luka Modric is expected to start after making his return from a thigh injury on Tuesday.

Defender Sergio Ramos could join Modric in the side following his recovery from a hamstring tear that has kept him on the sidelines for over a month.

Levante hauled themselves out of the bottom three with a 2-1 win over Eibar last weekend that marked only their sixth of a disappointing campaign.

It could be suggested that Levante, given the hosts' apparent turmoil, are facing Real at the perfect time,

Yet coach Lucas Alcaraz was quick to play down the potential impact of Real's form in the last few games.

He told Levante's official website: "We prefer to think of what things must be done well to win. The potential of Madrid is always high.

"The moment of the rival is not something that depends on us. The timetable is as it comes.

"We won our last game, but there is a vast difference between the potential of Madrid and our own."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti predicts recovery from ´rattled´ Real

14 March 2015 15:00

804312header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has backed his "rattled" Real Madrid side to get back to winning ways against Levante following a downturn in form.

Ancelotti was publically backed by president Florentino Perez in midweek after Tuesday's 4-3 defeat to Schalke extended Real's winless run to three games in all competitions.

While the European champions progressed on aggregate despite the UEFA Champions League loss, fans at the Santiago Bernabeu showed their frustrations, while Iker Casillas stated Real were at "rock-bottom".

Ancelotti acknowledged the pressure is on his side going into Sunday's La Liga visit of Levante, but has confidence his charges will stop the rot.

"It's normal for us to be rattled. Everyone at Real Madrid is rattled by what's happened. That doesn't mean we're going to give up," he said.

"We're going to put in more effort and be more committed. I'm convinced we're going to turn this situation around very quickly.

"The players are eager to get out of this situation and to sort out the problems we've had.

"Things are wide open. We want to reach the end of the season still in the running for all the trophies we're vying for."

"When the fans whistle you it means they're not happy. I use it as motivation to improve.

"I don't feel pressure from the press: I'm focused on my job. I try to make decisions based on what I think, not what I hear."

Real are one point behind leaders Barcelona, but are through to the last eight of the Champions League in defence of their title.

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alderweireld wants Southampton stay

14 March 2015 01:49

804128header.jpg

Toby Alderweireld said he would like to stay at Southampton instead of returning to Atletico Madrid once his loan deal expires at the end of the season.

Alderweireld is on a season-long deal from La Liga champions Atletico and the Belgium international centre-back has become an integral member of Southampton's squad since moving to St Mary's in September.

The 26-year-old has made 16 Premier League appearances for Ronald Koeman's side, who are in contention for a spot in Europe next season.

And Alderweireld said he would like to remain a Southampton player beyond the 2014-15 campaign, though the decision rests with parent club Atletico.

"If I could choose then of course I would like to stay here," Alderweireld told BBC Radio Solent.

"It's not up to me. Atletico could decide that they want me back. I have two years left there so it is difficult for me to answer the question.

"I'm enjoying the Premier League, I'm enjoying playing for Southampton - I love the club and I love the supporters.

"We'll see, I am enjoying it here and my mind and focus is on Southampton."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alves reacts angrily to PSG rumours

12 March 2015 16:36

803238header.jpg

Dani Alves has reacted angrily to suggestions he is to leave Barcelona for Paris Saint-Germain with a bizarre rant on social media.

Reports in Spain have suggested that the Brazil defender - whose contract at Camp Nou expires at the end of the season - had agreed to join PSG on a three-year-deal.

Alves posted a picture of himself on the front page of various newspaper publications with the caption: "You really believe in what they say? I'm a little tired of hearing sheep talking s***...

"I love this club [Barcelona] until death and I'd stay forever. But one day if I have to go I will have the same balls that got me this far and I don't need any sheep to speak for me."

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona fume as proceedings begin in Neymar tax fraud case

13 March 2015 20:08

803952header.jpg

Barcelona have vowed to press charges against the judge presiding over their tax fraud case, claiming they have not been afforded the chance to present their evidence.

The Camp Nou club have faced a legal battle for over a year, after a club member asked for full details of striker Neymar's signing to be published – which revealed an apparent misappropriation of funds in the deal.

Judge Pablo Ruz revealed on Friday that he had finished his investigation into the matter and that Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu, his predecessor Sandro Rosell and the club itself would all stand trial.

However, Barcelona released a tetchy statement later in the day, claiming to have received no official notice of Judge Paz's decision.

Barcelona expressed concern at "the unusual speed with which the procedures are being carried out", suggesting it had prevented them from preparing any evidence in response, and vowing to take action.

Neymar was officially signed for €57.1million from Santos in May 2013, however it was later revealed that the transfer's total cost was €95.1m – the vast majority of which was tied up in bonus payments and agency fees paid to the player's father.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona to appeal Bartomeu ruling

407106_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Mar 13, 2015 19:44:00

It was confirmed on Friday that the Blaugrana supremo must stand trial for alleged tax evasion in relation to Neymar's move to Camp Nou from Santos in 2013

Barcelona have confirmed that they will appeal against the Spanish national court order that club president Josep Maria Bartomeu must stand trial on tax evasion charges.

On Friday, Judge Pablo Ruz ruled that a criminal offence had been committed in the deal that saw Brazil forward Neymar join the Catalan outfit from Santos in the summer of 2013 and decreed that Bartomeu must be tried for his role in the transfer.

Barca initially stated that they had paid €57.1 million for the striker but it subsequently emerged that the fee was closer to €86 million, prompting an inquiry by the Spanish state into alleged tax evasion.

Bartomeu has previously stated that he played no part in the negotiations, claiming that predecessor Sandro Rosell, who must also go to court, was solely responsible for the transaction.

Barca have been left enraged by the suggestion that either Bartomeu or the club are guilty of any wrongdoing, and also bitterly upset that the judge wrapped up the investigation into the transfer before the media.

"Futbol Club Barcelona has learned today of Judge Pablo Ruz’s decision to declare his inquiry over and proceed with the foreseen procedures with regard to the Club itself, its president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, and it former president, Sandro Rosell," read a club statement.

"On this historic decision, FC Barcelona wishes to make the following statements:

"First, the Club does not agree with the aforesaid verdict, as indicated by the arguments contained in the documents presented in defence of the said persons,and that basically describe in detail how it is not true that a criminal offence has been committed.

"Second, in response to the aforesaid verdict, FC Barcelona announces that it shall be appealing against the same, although this announcement must be made notionally, because its representatives have not yet received any formal notification from the Court.

"Third, it is strange, and breeds uncertainty, that after the Club’s defence should have pressed charges of unsuitability against Judge Ruz yesterday, the judge should settle the case today before the media. It is difficult to understand and could possibly be misconstrued, that on the very same day that the judge formally requests assistance from the Public Ministry that the act whereby the Judge has already resolved this question is announced via the media, without issue of the report or the club being notified of the same.

"This can only be explained when it is confirmed that all of the judicial resolutions contain, word for word, all of the considerations made by the Ministry of Public Prosecution, without at any time attending to any of the requests made by the parties, or even implementing the procedures requested by the defence.

"Fourth, the club shall immediately press charges against the unusual speed with which the procedures are being carried out. A speed that does not respect the usual rates for such procedures, nor offers guarantees for the parties, such as, for example, the fact that to date no statement by the FC Barcelona legal representative has been heard, although this had been agreed with the magistrate.

"The Club, both with regard to this case and other aggressions received in its 115 years of history, will not tolerate such actions, especially when it has offered to collaborate and explain, from the start, all of the events surrounding the transfer of the player Neymar Jr.

"Finally, FC Barcelona wishes to send out a message of calm to its members and inform them that, if to date it has been especially careful with the ways it has dealt with this unpleasant affair, from now on, and given that the internal dynamics of this difficult affair go beyond the strictly legal sphere, the Club shall be doing everything possible to set matters straight, as it always has done throughout its history, and will continue offering every success possible to its members."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Modric: This is not the real Real Madrid

1015052_heroa.jpg

Peter McVitie
Mar 14, 2015 12:22:49

The midfielder says the team is struggling and in a crisis but maintains they will come back strong while also heaping praise on Martin Odegaard

Luka Modric says the Real Madrid have not been at their best in recent weeks, but insists they will get back to their best.

Slip ups against Villarreal and Athletic Bilbao have seen the world champions surrender their place at the top of La Liga to Barcelona, while they scraped through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League despite losing 4-3 to Schalke in midweek.

Modric admits the team is not playing as well as usual, but is confident head coach Carlo Ancelotti can lift the team again.

"This is not the real Real Madrid, but I am sure we will get back to the level we were, hen people talked about us as one of best teams ever," he told Sportske novosti.

"We players talk a lot and Ancelotti has enough experience to lift the team. The Levante match on Sunday will not be easy, but we badly need a win to raise our confidence ahead of El Clasico. Although I don't expect it to be a title deciding match at Nou Camp.

"The whole team is suffering in this crisis, not just Gareth Bale. And we can only get out of it as a team."

The midfielder has only recently returned from a lengthy injury layoff and spoke of his delight at being back in the team.

"My first thought as I entered the pitch was 'I just want to return to the locker room happy'. I was surprised and touched by the fans when they cheered me while we were warming up. I didn't expect that. But I am no saviour, there are no saviours in football.

"I feel good but don't ask me how soon will I be at my best, I don't know. Now we have one match per week and that is optimal for me to get in best shape.

"During my rehabilitation process there were some tough moments, especially during the first two weeks. I was only supposed to lie around and do nothing. I even cried when I found out I would be out for four months. I am very emotional."

Modric also spoke highly of new Madrid starlet Martin Odegaard.

"Odegaard asked me about our qualifying match between Croatia and Norway. He is calm and a nice lad. You can tell he is a great talent with an outstanding left foot and he's a great dribbler. He is light, though, but he is still a boy."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Casillas will start the Clasico

1069192_heroa.jpg

Mar 14, 2015 13:43:16

The Real Madrid coach admitted that he could drop his first-choice shot-stopper for the visit of Levante but maintains that he will definitely be in goal against Barcelona

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that regardless of who plays in goal in Real Madrid's clash with Levante on Sunday, Iker Casillas will start against Barcelona next weekend.

Casillas' recent dip in form has seen an increase in calls for him to be dropped and Ancelotti has admitted that he could consider give the Spain international a rest in order to afford reserve shot-stopper Keylor Navas some playing time.

However, the Blancos boss added that whatever happens against Levante, Casillas will be in goal for the trip to Catalunya.

"I still haven’t decided the starting XI, I am going to decide it tomorrow [Sunday], but I will choose a line-up to try to win, not to single anyone out," he told reporters.

"If Keylor plays tomorrow, Casillas will play the Clasico. And if Casillas plays tomorrow, he will also plays the Clasico."

Slip-ups against Athletic Bilbao and Villarreal have seen Madrid lose their place at the top of La Liga to Barca, and they just only just scraped into the quarter-finals of the Champions League, losing 4-3 at home to Schalke in midweek but progressing 5-4 on aggregate courtesy of their 2-0 win in Gelsenkirchen three weeks ago.

While Ancelotti acknowledges that his job is coming under increasing scrutiny, he says that he can deal with the mounting pressure.

"It is the world's largest club, and when you fail, you have the world's biggest criticism," the Italian coach stated. "It is proportional to the position, and it's an honor for me.

"It is normal to be affected by this, but that does not mean that we will give up. We will make more effort and sacrifice to change the situation.

"The players are eager to get out of the situation quickly and resolve the problems that we have had. Everything is open and that gives us great motivation.

"When the fans are whistling, it is because they are not happy, but I use it to improve my work."

The 55-year-old also welcomed the timely return to full fitness of defender Sergio Ramos, as well as midfielder Luka Modric, who made his comeback against Schalke on Tuesday.

"Sergio has worked well and is going to help us like Luka," Ancelotti added. "They have personality and character, we are all pleased about their returns.”

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deco: Ronaldo works hard but Messi is pure talent

657941_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Mar 14, 2015 01:20:34

The former Portugal international feels that the Argentine is more naturally gifted, though he added that Ronaldinho is the most skilful player he has ever come across

Deco believes that Lionel Messi could be the best player he has ever played with, and explained that the Argentine is pure talent whereas Cristiano Ronaldo is a product of hard work.

The now-retired 37-year-old played alongside Messi during his time at Barcelona, while he and Ronaldo were team-mates at international level with Portugal.

Deco has the utmost respect for both players, who have won the last seven Ballon d'Or awards between them, but feels that Messi has the edge.

However, the former playmaker suggested that another former team-mate, Ronaldinho, could be even more gifted than both.

"[Leo and Cristiano] are different," he told FourFourTwo. "Messi was born with talent. Cristiano also has talent but it's amazing how hard he works at it; how professional he is.

"It's difficult to pick one but maybe Leo is the best I've ever played with. Although, Ronaldinho did things that I've never seen anyone do."

Deco was more decisive when it came to picking the best coach he has ever played under, explaining that Jose Mourinho, with whom he won the Champions League in 2004, changed the entire mentality of Portuguese football.

"I think he's the best, though I've had many great coaches: Fernando Santos, Carlo Ancelotti, Felipe Scolari," Deco said.

"However, Mourinho brought something different. He brought ambition because in those days in Portugal it was difficult to imagine that one of our clubs could win the Champions League."

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Atletico still having a great season,' insists Simeone

916332_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Mar 14, 2015 00:33:37

The Spanish champions are set to lose their crown, but the Argentine believes there's been no shame in their title defence

Diego Simeone has dismissed the suggestion that Atletico Madrid are having a poor season and has said that the capital club are having a "great" campaign.

The Rojiblancos stunned the world of Spanish football by beating Real Madrid and Barcelona to the Liga title last year - despite working with a fraction of the Clasico duo's financial resources - while they also reached the final of the Champions League.

However, Atleti have not proven as successful this term, with Simeone's side currently fourth in the Primera Division and trailing 1-0 from the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie with Bayer Leverkusen.

The Argentine, though, believes that it is unfair to claim that the Rojiblancos have gone backwards this season.

"There are still a lot of games left," the Atleti boss told reporters on Friday. "We’ll have to wait to see how the league finishes and then we’ll review what happened.

"You all like to compare this team to last year’s, something I don’t consider at all.

"I think we’ve got six points fewer than a year ago. I think we’re having a great season."

Valencia climbed above Atletico and into third place in La Liga by beating Deportivo 2-0 at Mestalla on Friday night.

The pressure is now on Simeone and his players to end a run of three games without a victory in all competitions in order to boost their hopes of automatic qualification for next season's Champions League group stage.

However, the former midfield ace says that Atleti are looking forward to Saturday's vital Liga clash with Espanyol in Barcelona.

“We’re hoping to get back to winning ways, which is important," Simeone added.

"Hopefully, against Espanyol we can get back that consistency we had in the first half against Valencia, which is our way of playing and what makes us a difficult team to play against."

Simeone also insisted that Atletico will not have one eye on their second-leg clash with Bayer at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday.

“It’s impossible to think beyond the game we’ve got," he added. "Espanyol are a really competitive team, with a lot of similarities to us. They play their football on the wings, aerial play and players that play with speed and intensity."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Navas: I’ll fight to be Madrid No.1

935632_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Mar 14, 2015 14:22:09

The Costa Rica international remains behind Iker Casillas in the pecking order despite the club captain's poor form of late

Keylor Navas says he will not give up on his quest to dislodge Iker Casillas as Real Madrid’s first-choice goalkeeper.

The Costa Rica international joined the European champions following after starring for his country at last year’s World Cup, but has made just two Liga appearances for the club this season - despite the indifferent form of Casillas.

And the 28-year-old Navas admits it’s been difficult to adjust to playing second fiddle to the Blancos captain, but says he will continue the fight to prove his worth to coach Carlo Ancelotti.

“I want to be here, where I’m going to fighting to be [no.1] for many years,” he told AS.

“Though it is true that my situation has been tough, I don’t regret anything. I’m going to keep working like I always have.

“I like a challenge. I’m under contract. I have another five years after this one and I’m going to be as professional as possible.

“When I get the chance to play and I’ll take maximum advantage.”

Casillas drew boos from the fans this past week as Madrid suffered a Champions League scare at theSantiago Bernabeu, going down to 4-3 at home to Schalke but prevailing 5-4 on aggregate.

The 33-year-old Spain international also endured a testing World Cup campaign, notably drawing criticism for his role in la Roja’s 5-1 demolition at the hands of the Netherlands.

Ancelotti pledged his support to Casillas this week by insisting he will start the Clasico against Barcelona next weekend.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi overtakes Ronaldo in race for European Golden Shoe

1086222_heroa.jpg

By Tony Mahoney
Mar 14, 2015 18:00:00

The Argentine's two goals against Elche on Saturday mean he is now the highest league scorer in Europe for the 2014-15 season
Lionel Messi's double for Barcelona in the 2-0 win against Elche on Saturday has seen him move ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

The Argentine struck a 31st minute penalty in the Blaugrana's clash at the Estadio Municipal de Ipurua - his 31st goal of the Liga season and one more than Ronaldo.

He then headed home a second from a corner in the 55th minute to increase his tally for the campaign to 32.

Messi has now scored 17 league goals in 2015 alone - while Ronaldo, who was 13 strikes ahead of his great rival back in November, only has five.

Ronaldo is the current joint-holder of the European Golden Shoe, together with Luis Suarez. The Portuguese has been Europe's top-scorer on three occasions, the same number as Messi.

The Barcelona star has 43 goals in all competitions this season from 39 games.

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday March 14 2015

Messi double downs Eibar

By Football Espana staff

messi-eibar-away490epa.jpg

Lionel Messi became La Liga’s top goalscorer and Xavi made his 750th appearance as Barcelona comfortably dispatched Eibar 2-0 at Ipurua on Saturday.

The Barca changes started in defence, where Martin Montoya, as expected, replaced the suspended Dani Alves on the right, with Adriano filling in for Jordi Alba down the opposite flank. Jeremy Mathieu was also given a rest as Marc Bartra took his place at centre-back.

Further up the pitch, a new-look midfield saw Sergi Roberto and Rafinha both start ahead of Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta, with the La Masia graduate playing the ‘Sergio Busquets role’ as the screen in front of the back four.

Finally, Douglas Pereira featured for the first time since November in what was an under-strength Barca squad likely being saved for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester City at Camp Nou next week.

A win for Barca would have seen them open up a temporary four-point lead atop La Liga, with Real Madrid not due in action until tomorrow, while Eibar were desperate to end a run of seven straight defeats.

The visitors initially struggled to break down the Basques’ resistance, despite dominating possession, with Rakitic’s first-minute header the closest they came to breaking the deadlock early on.

However, their persistence paid dividends just past the midway point in the first half as a curling shot from Messi was blocked by Borja Ekiza’s arm in the box. The Argentine stepped up and duly buried the penalty into the right-hand side of Jaime’s net.

With that, Messi displaced Cristiano Ronaldo as La Liga’s Pichichi with 31 goals, rather ironically from the penalty spot.

Barca continued to assert their dominance after the break, with Xavi notably replacing Rakitic just past the hour mark for his 750th Catalans appearance.

Nonetheless, a more important feat on the night was achieved shortly before, when the Croatian midfielder’s cross was met by Messi just inside the box, the Argentine sending a low, bullet-like header past Jaime to clinch a fifth straight win for the Spanish pace-setters.

Eibar failed to set up a grandstand ending in the dying embers of the match as substitute Federico Piovaccari somehow hit the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Eibar 0-2 Barcelona

Messi pen 31, 55

Eibar: Jaime; Boveda, Ekiza, Navas, Lillo, Vila (Boateng 77); Javi, Errasti (Capa 58), Borja; Saul, Manu (Piovaccari 69)

Barcelona: Bravo; Montoya, Pique, Bartra, Adriano; Rakitic (Xavi 62), Sergi Roberto, Rafinha; Messi, Suarez, Neymar (Pedro 70)

Referee: Del Cerro Grande

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday March 14 2015

‘Athletic want three more wins’

By Football Espana staff

valverde-athletic-torino490epa_1.jpg

Ernesto Valverde has challenged Athletic Bilbao to secure three more wins ahead of Saturday’s trip to Celta Vigo in La Liga.

Successive victories against Rayo Vallecano, Eibar and Real Madrid have lifted Los Leones into the upper echelons of the League table, and the Coach is targeting another three points at Balaidos this weekend.

“[Although the last three wins against Rayo Vallecano, Eibar and Real Madrid have allowed us to take] an important step forward in the table, we still have lots more to say,” he said at a Press conference.

“Our goal is to achieve three more wins as soon as possible. Then we’ll definitely look up [the table] and see if we can catch Malaga in seventh.

“There’s still a third of the League to go. We need to get [at least] eight more points, plus [boost] our goal difference, so the match in Vigo is huge.

“We shouldn’t think [we’re safe] on 33 points because there’s still a long way to go. [Therefore the match against Celta] will be a good test against similarly-placed opponents.

“[These recent wins and the Copa del Rey final] have highlighted the harmony in the team, but there’s also been a big difference in performance levels between our match against Real Madrid and the heavy defeat by Atletico Madrid in December.

“We haven’t enjoyed the same consistency we showed last season and there’s been three or four games [this season] which have damaged our dynamics.

“[The emergence of Inaki Williams] has benefitted the team. It’s good news for us as the fans can trust our youth academy and the lads can see that they’re likely to break through.”

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone: Atletico still on course for third

1006092_heroa.jpg

By Tony Mahoney
Mar 14, 2015 18:42:01

The Argentinian trainer was encouraged by his side's 10-man display in their goalless draw with Espanyol on Saturday

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone insists that he was pleased with his side’s performance in the goalless draw at Espanyol on Saturday, claiming that they remain on course for a third-place Liga finish.

The reigning Spanish champions now sit fourth in the table, one point behind Valencia after failing to win for the third match in a row – their longest run without a Primera Division victory this season.

“We have not lost third place because the league is not over,” Simeone said after the 0-0 draw in Catalunya.

“We have moved forward and we must congratulate the other teams that have made up ground on us because it means that they are playing very well.”

Brazil international Miranda was sent off just before the break after appearing to elbow Abraham, leaving Atleti to play have the match with 10 men.

Simeone was encouraged with what he saw from his side after the dismissal, saying his side would have prevailed if not for a string of saves from Espanyol goalkeeper Kiko Casilla, who made more saves in his two league appearances against Atletico (12) than against any other opponent this season.

“'I’m happy with the team’s work ethic,” the Argentine added. “We did a fantastic job and with ten men we could have won the game.

"Casilla had a bright game and will be very happy [with his performance]. "

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Bale at the double for Real, wins for Sevilla and Malaga

15 March 2015

805200header.jpg

Real Madrid and Gareth Bale enjoyed a welcome 2-0 win over Levante to close the gap to Barcelona at La Liga's summit to one point.

A winless run of three matches in all competitions heading into Sunday's encounter led to questions over coach Carlo Ancelotti's future, while Bale's performances have also come in for heavy scrutiny.

The Wales winger found the ideal response by opening the scoring after 19 minutes and turning home Cristiano Ronaldo's shot shortly before half-time.

Victory means Real head into next weekend's pivotal El Clasico showdown at Camp Nou with the title race firmly in the balance.

Levante end the weekend third bottom as Almeria drew 0-0 with Villarreal earlier on Sunday to edge ahead of them on goal difference.

The strugglers held out for what could prove to be a vital point, despite playing 50 minutes with 10 men after Mauro dos Santos collected a pair of bookings.

Villarreal are now three points behind fifth-placed Sevilla, who were 3-0 winners over Elche at La Bombonera de Nervion.

Carlos Bacca opened the scoring from the penalty spot and doubled his tally in the 31st minute.

Kevin Gameiro replaced the goalscorer during the closing stages and got his own name on the scoresheet nine minutes from time.

In Sunday's other game, Malaga inflicted further misery on basement boys Cordoba with a 2-0 victory.

The opening half was goalless before Juanmi slotted home to hand the hosts a deserved lead three minutes after the restart, while Nordin Amrabat sealed the points as Cordoba pushed for an equaliser.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Iniesta, Bartra laud 750-gamer Xavi

15 March 2015

804739header.jpg

Andres Iniesta congratulated fellow midfielder Xavi on his milestone for Barcelona on Saturday, having claimed earlier in March he was not sure if he could play with him.

The Spanish pair have long held the Barca midfield together, but Iniesta was quoted as saying 'it seems we can't play together' by Marca.

But Iniesta went some way to smooth the waters by the perceived strain in the pair's relationship, congratulating the 35-year-old on appearing for Barca for the 750th time in all competitions - as the La Liga leaders chalked up a 2-0 win over Eibar.

"An important victory before a massive week," Iniesta posted on Twitter.

"Congratulations Xavi, there are no words, my friend!"

Central defender Marc Bartra also hailed Xavi, and claimed their win at the Estadio Municipal de Ipurua came about due to Barca's attitude.

"It was a workmanlike win. We are happy because we knew it wouldn't be easy and it wasn't," Bartra said.

"But we ran more than they did, we imposed our attitude and we tend to get the three points when we do that.

"We're working on set pieces a lot in training. The second goal worked out well but all credit to [Lionel] Messi for such a fine header.

"It's a very important week. That's why we needed a win for our confidence - this game was a potential banana skin.

"I am very happy that Xavi has made it to 750 games. He is Barca from head to toe and it's an honour to be in the same squad as him."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goalless half worries Ancelotti ahead of El Clasico

16 March 2015

805256header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti said Real Madrid's second half against Levante in La Liga on Sunday was cause for concern, ahead of El Clasico.

Real ran out 2-0 winners at The Santiago Bernabeu, courtesy of a Gareth Bale first-half double - but the UEFA Champions League holders were unable to add to their lead in the second half.

Ancelotti said improvement was necessary ahead of their crucial clash against Barcelona at Camp Nou on March 22, with the Catalan club one point ahead in the title race.

"We were brimming with confidence in the first half. The second half worries me a little bit," Ancelotti said post-match.

"It is going to be a different match compared with tonight's. We need to be at our best, at our best we can win."

Ancelotti was also pleased by the increasing number of players at his disposal, with Luka Modric and Sergio Ramos both starting against Levante.

"The important thing was confirming that Modric and Sergio were indeed fit," he said.

"We avoided picking up any bookings for Isco and [Toni] Kroos.

"We will travel to the Camp Nou with almost a complete squad available."

With that in mind, Ancelotti said he will not pull many punches for the always-anticipated grudge match - with Real winning the past two contests between the teams.

"Yes, it is pretty clear for everyone. There won't be any surprises. As long as I don't lose my mind this week, there won't be any surprises," he said.

Aiding Real's chances of winning in Barcelona on Sunday will be their opponents' quick turnaround from a Champions League tie with Manchester City on Wednesday.

On Barca's shortened preparation for El Clasico, Ancelotti added: "We have the chance to train well for the whole week and prepare for the match both physically and tactically.

"It is an advantage but Barcelona are well used to playing every three days without it causing them problems."

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Djukic pays the price for Cordoba form

16 March 2015

805541header.jpg

Relegation-threatened Cordoba have dismissed head coach Miroslav Djukic with the club seven points from safety in La Liga.

The Serb only took charge of the struggling outfit in October after Albert Ferrer was sacked, but he was unable to turn their fortunes around.

Djukic won three matches during his short tenure – including two in a row in early 2015 – but since mid-January they have been in free fall.

Eight successive league defeats leaves them rooted to the foot of the table, and Djukic's replacement Jose Antonio Romero faces an uphill challenge in cutting the deficit to safety.

"Cordoba have dismissed first team coach Miroslav Djukic," a statement read. "The role of the Serbian coach has immediately been filled, on an interim basis, by coach Jose Antonio Romero, who will lead the training from next Wednesday.

"Cordoba thanks Miroslav Djukic for his work, effort and dedication during his time at the club and wish you luck in your future career."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Getafe 0 Real Sociedad 1: Visitors end winless away run

16 March 2015

805702header.jpg

Real Sociedad's long wait for a first La Liga away win of the season came to an end with a 1-0 victory at Getafe on Monday.

After 12 winless league games on the road, Sociedad ended that run thanks to Inigo Martinez's goal in the 66th minute.

The win lifted David Moyes' men into 10th, while13th-placed Getafe are only four points clear of the relegation zone after their loss.

The visitors had to wait until after the hour-mark for their goal, which came via Martinez.

Esteban Granero's set-piece from the right was headed in by Martinez, with the help of the post and diving Getafe goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.

Sociedad would hold on for their first competitive away victory since beating Aberdeen in UEFA Europa League qualifying in August last year.