• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Title race rages on as top three all win

29 March 2014

435620header.jpg

It is as you were at the top of La Liga as Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid all won in the three-way title race on Saturday.

Atleti faced a tricky test away to UEFA Champions League hopefuls Athletic Bilbao and they came away with a slender 2-1 win from San Mames.

Ernesto Valverde's side threatened to halt Atleti's streak of four consecutive Liga victories with just six minutes gone as Iker Muniain capitalised on some questionable defending with a fine lob.

However, Diego Costa levelled with a neat finish for his sixth goal in five games across all competitions as the sides went into the break level.

Koke scored the all-important goal with a header 10 minutes after the interval, and Aymeric Laporte saw red for the hosts in the closing stages, ending any hopes of a late comeback.

The result leaves Atleti a point above Barcelona, who were 1-0 winners at Espanyol, while Bilbao remain in the last Champions League spot.

Real produced an emphatic response to their back-to-back defeats against Barca and Sevilla as they hammered Rayo Vallecano 5-0.

Gareth Bale silenced his critics with two goals and an assist, with Cristiano Ronaldo, Daniel Carvajal and Alvaro Morata also on target at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Barca's Catalan derby triumph was far less convincing as a late Lionel Messi penalty sealed the points for Gerardo Martino's side.

That was after Javi Lopez had been penalised for handball, and Espanyol were further aggrieved when goalkeeper Kiko Casilla received a red card for handling outside the area seven minutes from time.

Sevilla saw a six-match winning run in the league ended as they were defeated 1-0 by Celta Vigo at Estadio de Balaidos.

The hosts dominated possession, but Unai Emery's men were guilty of squandering some very good chances, particularly Carlos Bacca and Vitolo.

The match looked set to end goalless, but Nolito netted an 87th-minute penalty after Federico Fazio was controversially penalised for handball.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico´s performance ´one of the best´, says Simeone

30 March 2014

435625header.jpg

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone labelled his team's 2-1 win at Athletic Bilbao as one of their best La Liga performances of the season.

The league leaders had to come from behind at San Mames, but the victory kept them a point clear of Barcelona and three ahead of Real Madrid.

Simeone was delighted with the performance as Atletico prepare for their UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg against Barcelona on Tuesday.

"We are aware of our great match. It's been one of the best in the league," the Argentine said.

"We recovered the ball very clearly and were also clear in taking advantage of the gaps for Diego (Costa).

"We always knew how to play, we were always strong. The team overcame the adversity, from the game, from the commitment and from the intensity, to win a great match."

Iker Muniain gave Bilbao a sixth-minute lead before Costa struck and Koke, who set up the equaliser, netted what proved to be the winner early in the second half.

Simeone said Costa was a key for his side, with his energy drawing particular praise.

"He's a guy who keeps growing day by day, he has an enormous physical strength," he said.

"He infects his team mated with this thing he has and they exploit it in the best possible way."

As he has all season, Simeone said it was important for his team to enjoy the moment and not look too far ahead.

"We enjoy this situation day by day, minute by minute, training by training, match by match," Simeone said.

"That's where we feel strong and we'll stay that way because we can't leave this line of action."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti disappointed after fans jeer Real

30 March 2014

435657header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has criticised the club's fans for booing the team during Saturday's 5-0 La Liga win over Rayo Vallecano.

Real got back to winning ways after two consecutive defeats against Barcelona and Sevilla, crushing city neighbours Vallecano with an excellent performance.

Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring after 15 minutes before four second-half goals, including two from Gareth Bale, made sure of the points for Ancelotti's men.

The capital club remain three points behind leaders Atletico Madrid and two adrift of fellow title rivals Barca, who both claimed victories, despite the result.

And Real's fans were keen to voice their frustration at the last two defeats, jeering a number of players including Ronaldo, a reaction that drew the ire of Ancelotti.

"I have said many times I understand when the crowd whistled us because we had deserved it. But not at the moment," Ancelotti said.

"It is true we haven't performed at our best in the last two games, however I think overall the players are doing a great effort.

"We have to carry on and we need everyone's help. And then to whistle Cristiano Ronaldo is not that understandable.

"Naturally this win is important. We reacted well. After two defeats, we have played a good match. We showed a good attitude. Moreover, we can now prepare properly for the next game.

"I do not think many things have changed. As I said before we have made mistakes in defence in the last two games, against Barcelona and Sevilla.

"Today (Saturday) we have done well. Also because we have used the counterattack and even when the team wasn't very balanced, our four defenders have performed well."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sociedad, Villarreal falter in Europe qualification bids

MADRID Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:15pm BST

1209609-25255737-640-360.jpg

(Reuters) - Real Sociedad and Villarreal failed to capitalise on defeats for European qualification rivals Athletic Bilbao and Sevilla when they were held to 1-1 draws by Osasuna and Elche respectively in La Liga on Sunday.

Sixth-placed Sociedad took the lead in the eighth minute at Osasuna through Gonzalo Castro before Oriol Riera levelled for the home side just before the hour.

Villarreal, who are seventh, had to come from a goal down to rescue a point at home to regional rivals Elche at the Madrigal.

Fourth-placed Bilbao lost 2-1 to leaders Atletico Madrid at their San Mames stadium on Saturday after Sevilla, in fifth, had their six-match winning streak snapped in a 1-0 reverse at Celta Vigo.

"It's hard to maintain control at this stadium," Sociedad coach Jagoba Arrasate told a news conference at Osasuna's El Sadar arena in Pamplona.

"We had our chances in the second half and they did too," he added. "Looking at it objectively I think a point each was a fair result."

Arrasate's Villarreal counterpart Marcelino Garcia said his players had lacked efficiency in front of goal.

"We went after the win from the first minute, we controlled the majority of the game, showed some good moments and had chances to score," he said.

"We just needed to be a bit more accurate in putting the ball between the posts."

With seven matches left, Bilbao are on course for a place in Champions League qualifying on 56 points, six ahead of Sevilla and Sociedad. Villarreal have 49, nine ahead of eighth-placed Espanyol and Valencia, who are ninth after they lost 3-1 at home to Getafe in Sunday's late kickoff.

Tempers frayed in the final stages of the game at the Mestalla and Valencia captain Jeremy Mathieu was sent off after clashing with Getafe forward Pedro Leon.

In the bottom half of the table, just four points separate Granada on 34 in 12th place from Almeria, Osasuna and Real Valladolid in 17th through 19th.

Real Betis, who host Malaga on Monday, are eight points adrift at the bottom, while Madrid-based Getafe climbed to 16th on 31 points thanks to their first win in 17 matches in all competitions.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Ed Osmond)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunday March 30 2014

Khedira ‘close to return’

By Football Espana staff

khedira-close490ai_4.jpg

Sami Khedira has said he is close to a Real Madrid comeback from the knee injury suffered on international duty in November.

Khedira tore the anterior and medial ligaments in his knee while playing for Germany against Italy and has been sidelines for approaching five months.

But, AS reports, the midfielder is nearing a return and according to Khedira, he is growing more confident in his fitness all the time.

“I feel like a football player now, because I’m back on a football pitch. It’s like being at home,” the 26-year-old said.

“It feels like I’m nearing the end. I’m close to returning to the team and that gives me motivation to keep fighting.

“The beginning was very hard. The first four or five weeks was the hardest.

“I was on crutches and couldn’t walk. I was very limited.

“In the past few weeks I have been more comfortable with the knee in training. I’m very happy to tread on the grass again and I’ll be running outdoors with the ball.

“I already have more confidence in the knee and I’ve noticed I feel more secure. I feel good.”

Khedira paid tribute to the medical team at Santiago Bernabeu and revealed he has greatly missed the life of a fully fit footballer.

“The medical service at Real Madrid is very good. I trust the people who have been working on my recovery,” he continued.

“I’ve known them for six or seven years and that makes it easier.

“After a long injury and then such a recovery you can work to iron out your flaws and work on the things you do well to make them better.

“I miss the team, my teammates, the Coach. It’s very hard to train alone every day.

“It’s important for me to keep in touch with my teammates and the Coach. That makes everything easier.

“It’s a pleasure to have colleagues like them. They are big players with equally big hearts.

“We have a chance to win three titles. Everyone at Madrid wants to win, especially in the Champions League, and no one more than the players.”

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Getafe end winless run at Valencia

30 March 2014

435823header.jpg

Getafe's 15-match winless streak came to an end on Sunday as they won 3-1 at 10-man Valencia to move out of La Liga's drop zone.

The Madrid-based club parted company with former coach Luis Garcia earlier this month, but new boss Cosmin Contra's arrival had initially failed to have the desired effect with just one point from his first three matches in charge of Getafe.

Coming into the game second from bottom in the table, Getafe's miserable run came to an end on Sunday as they came from behind to win at the Mestalla Stadium.

It looked like being yet another disappointing day for the visitors when Eduardo Vargas gave Valencia a sixth-minute lead but two goals in as many minutes midway through the first half from Angel Lafita and Ciprian Marica put Getafe in front.

Pedro Leon then made the game safe for Contra's men three minutes from time, before the hosts saw Jeremy Mathieu dismissed for a second bookable offence in the closing stages as Getafe moved up to 16th in the table.

Their win sent them a place and a point clear of Real Valladolid, who claimed a crucial victory of their own earlier in the day by beating fellow-strugglers Almeria 1-0.

Manucho's fifth-minute goal proved the difference, while Almeria saw Marco Torsiglieri sent off 15 minutes from time as they dropped into the bottom three.

They were joined by Osasuna, who drew 1-1 with Real Sociedad; Oriol Riera's 59th-minute equaliser earning them a point after their local rivals had gone ahead through Gonzalo Castro.

Elsewhere, Villarreal's hopes of qualifying for next year's UEFA Champions League were dealt a blow when they were held 1-1 at home by struggling Elche.

The visitors went ahead after 31 minutes thanks to Damien Suarez's penalty and although the home side levelled a minute before half-time through Jonathan Pereira, they were unable to force the winner that would have seen them climb into fifth.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Key wins for Malaga, Levante

31 March 2014

436056header.jpg

Malaga and Levante pulled clear of the La Liga's relegation zone with important wins on Monday.

Bernd Schuster's Malaga side struck twice in the final seven minutes in a come-from-behind 2-1 win at bottom side Real Betis.Lorenzo Reyes gave Betis hope with a 30th-minute opener but late goals from Juanmi and Sergi Darder saw the visitors into the lead.

Ruben Castro missed a stoppage-time penalty for Betis in a costly blow for Gabriel Calderon's side.

Real Betis are eight points from safety with seven league matches remaining, while Malaga jumped up to 12th and five points clear of 18th-placed Almeria.

Chilean midfielder Reyes put the hosts ahead with a lucky strike on the half-hour mark.

His curling 25-yard effort appeared to be too close to goalkeeper Wilfredo Caballero but the Argentine shot-stopper was unable to stop the effort from going through his hands.

Malaga were level with seven minutes remaining as substitute Juanmi cleverly flicked a Nordin Amrabat pass from the right into the bottom corner from close range.

A poor turnover of possession in the middle third just four minutes later proved costly for Betis.

Amrabat was again the provider as his pass from the right found the late run of Darder, who took a touch before finishing into the top corner from 10 yards.

Castro hit the crossbar with his 91st-minute spot-kick, as Betis were dealt a huge blow to their chances of survival.

At the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes, Granada suffered a 2-0 loss to Levante.

Levante broke a four-game winless run thanks to second-half goals from David Navarro and Pedro Lopez.

Navarro scrambled in the opener four minutes into the second half before Lopez sealed the result with a fine 20-yard effort in the dying stages.

Levante sit 10th and 10 points clear of Almeria, while Granada are just three points ahead of the 18th-placed side.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Valdes set for long lay-off after surgery

31 March 2014

435914header.jpg

Barcelona have revealed that goalkeeper Victor Valdes will be out for around seven months after undergoing knee surgery in Germany.

The 32-year-old tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a 3-0 La Liga victory over Celta Vigo last week.

Barca have now confirmed the Spain international has gone under the knife in Augsburg.

Valdes, who has previously stated his desire to leave Barcelona when his contract expires at the end of the season, is not expected to return until the end of October, so his illustrious career with the Spanish champions appears to be over and he will also miss the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

A statement on the Catalan club's official website said: "The Barca keeper has been operated on by doctors Ulrich Boenisch and Ricard Pruna in Augsburg (Germany) for the anterior cruciate ligament tear he suffered last week.

"The knee's internal cartilage has been sewn up and the operation was concluded successfully. Valdes will be out of action for approximately seven months."

Barca have been strongly linked with a move for German goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, whose departure from Borussia Monchengladbach has already been confirmed, ahead of next season, but club president Josep Maria Bartomeu has opened the door for Valdes to stay at the club following his injury.

Valdes, part of Barca's first-team squad since 2002, has been strongly linked with a move to wealthy Ligue 1 club Monaco, yet it remains to be seen if the French outfit firm up their reported interest while he is sidelined.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca defender Alves coy over future

31 March 2014

435899header.jpg

Dani Alves has vowed to "live for the moment" amid reports linking the Barcelona defender with Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

The marauding Brazil right-back has just over a year remaining on his contract at Camp Nou and the Catalan giants are said to be prepared to allow him to leave at the end of the season rather than lose him for nothing 12 months later.

Big-spending City have first-hand experience of Alves' ability after he scored in both legs of their UEFA Champions League round of 16 tie earlier this month and Manuel Pellegrini is reportedly eager to lure him to the Etihad Stadium.

PSG have also been listed as potential suitors for the 30-year-old, who joined the Spanish champions from Sevilla in 2008, but the Barca full-back was coy when asked about a potential transfer.

"We've been talking about my future at the club since the year I arrived." he is quoting as saying by Le 10 Sport.

"I live in the moment, I take every year as it comes.

"For me it's a compliment that some big teams are interested in me, that means I'm doing my job. But the truth is that I am here, I see my job as very intense every year.

"I think that for a story to work, both parties must agree, a bit like in a relationship. Otherwise, it separates. At present, I know that both parties are satisfied."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico Madrid lose Diego Costa to injury against Barcelona

385820_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 1, 2014 8:18:00 PM

The striker was a doubt going into the European encounter and lasted less than 30 minutes at Camp Nou, while the hosts also saw Gerard Pique forced off

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa picked up a hamstring injury midway through the first half of Tuesday night's Champions League clash with Barcelona.

The 25-year-old, who has never scored against the Catalans, was a major doubt going into the quarter-final tie with an unspecified problem but Rojiblancos coach Diego Simeone named the forward in his starting XI for the first-leg clash at Camp Nou.

However, that decision backfired in the 27th minute when Costa pulled up in obvious discomfort. Although Simeone seemed to try to convince his player to play through the pain, immediate medical treatment was unsuccessful and team-mate Diego Ribas replaced the Spain international with a third of the game gone.

Atletico confirmed in a statement on their Twitter account: "Diego Costa suffered a hamstring muscle injury in his right thigh."

It is currently unclear how long Costa will be out of action for but he is already a major doubt for the second leg at the Vicente Calderon in a weeks' time.

Meanwhile, Barcelona were forced to withdraw centre-back Gerard Pique 15 minutes into the game against Atletico.

The Blaugrana later revealed that the defender, who was replaced by Marc Bartra, had taken "a knock to the pelvis".

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona handed transfer ban

381382_heroa.jpg

Apr 2, 2014 11:14:00 AM

World football's governing body has taken action against the Primera Division champions and the Spanish FA for breaches relating to international transfers of minors

Barcelona have been banned by Fifa from signing players for the next two transfer periods (summer 2014 and January 2015) for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

The sanction follows investigations initially conducted by Fifa Transfer Matching System (Fifa TMS) over the course of last year and subsequently by the Fifa Disciplinary Committee as part of disciplinary proceedings.

Barcelona were found to have violated several provisions concerning the international transfer and first registration of non-Spanish minors with the club, as well as other relevant regulations with regard to the registration and participation of certain players in national competitions.

The investigations concerned several minor players who were registered and participated in competitions with the club over various periods between 2009 and 2013.

According to article 19 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, international transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18, with the exception of three limited circumstances and such exceptions may only be granted after evaluation by the sub-committee of the Players’ Status Committee.

With regard to the case in question, Barcelona have been found to be in breach of art. 19 of the Regulations in the case of 10 minor players and to have committed several other concurrent infringements in the context of other players.

The Disciplinary Committee regarded the infringements as serious and decided to sanction the club with a transfer ban at both national and international level for two complete and consecutive transfer periods, together with a fine of CHF 450,000 (€369,000).

Additionally, the club was granted a period of 90 days in which to regularise the situation of all minor players concerned.

It's unknown as of yet what Fifa's sanctions mean for the summer transfer of Alen Halilovic, which Barcelona announced last week, and the potential signing of Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

Meanwhile, the Fifa Disciplinary Committee has sanctioned the Real Federacion Espanola de Futbol (RFEF) for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

The Disciplinary Committee determined that the association had also violated art. 19 of the Regulations and other provisions in the context of the transfer and first registration of certain minor players.

In this respect, the RFEF was sanctioned with a fine of CHF 500,000 (€410,000) and granted a period of one year in which to regularise their regulatory framework and existing system concerning the international transfer of minors in football.

In addition, the RFEF and the club were issued with a reprimand in accordance with art. 14 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona to appeal transfer ban

386101_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 2, 2014 7:05:00 PM

The Catalans will appeal Fifa's ruling, announced on Wednesday, and outlined their defence

Barcelona have announced they will appeal the two-window transfer ban imposed by Fifa on Wednesday and disputed a number of the issues raised by football's governing body.

Fifa hit the Catalans with the sanction after an investigation alleged the club breached regulations relating to the acquisition and registration of foreign players under the age of 18, meaning they could not make any new signings in the summer and January 2015.

However, Barca issued a lengthy statement tonight in which they defended their conduct and outlined their determination to fight the ruling with Fifa and, if necessary, the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

They have also requested that, while the appeal was ongoing, they could register new players.

Barca's defence centres on their insistence they are helping youngsters develop - both as footballers and personally - and that no civil law has been broken as the minors are legal residents within the country.

The Camp Nou club argue they "put people way before sportsmen which has not been considered by Fifa", and that "some of the players highlighted by Fifa have even been summoned by the Catalan Football Federation to participate in regional championships", insinuating that they are seen as citizens in the region.

Barca added they have requested Fifa change the rules on the protection of minors in football on numerous occasions and that their La Masia training centre has always been given glowing reviews by the governing body.

The Fifa investigation concerned several minor players who were registered and participated in competitions with the club over various periods between 2009 and 2013.

According to article 19 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, international transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18, with the exception of three limited circumstances and such exceptions may only be granted after evaluation by the sub-committee of the Players’ Status Committee.

With regard to the case in question, Barcelona have been found to be in breach of art. 19 of the Regulations in the case of 10 minor players and to have committed several other concurrent infringements in the context of other players.

The Fifa Disciplinary Committee regarded the infringements as serious and, in addition to the transfer window bans, also fined the club CHF 450,000 (€369,000).

Additionally, the club was granted a period of 90 days in which to regularise the situation of all minor players concerned.

It's unknown as of yet what Fifa's sanctions mean for the summer transfer of Alen Halilovic, which Barcelona announced last week, and the potential signing of Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

Ter Stegen's agent Gerd vom Bruch fears the worst, however, telling SportBild: "If I have read the Fifa announcement in the right way, Marc-Andre's transfer [to Barcelona] will not be done in summer.

Meanwhile, the Fifa Disciplinary Committee has also sanctioned the Real Federacion Espanola de Futbol (RFEF) for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.

The Disciplinary Committee determined that the association had also violated art. 19 of the Regulations and other provisions in the context of the transfer and first registration of certain minor players.

In this respect, the RFEF was sanctioned with a fine of CHF 500,000 (€410,000) and granted a period of one year in which to regularise their regulatory framework and existing system concerning the international transfer of minors in football.

In addition, the RFEF and the club were issued with a reprimand in accordance with art. 14 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona's official 14-point response to FIFA transfer ban

Barcelona have issued a full statement in response to the transfer ban imposed by FIFA.

By Football Espana | Eurosport

1210867-25279669-640-360.jpg

This is the club's own English translation of their 14-point response to FIFA's sanction, which can also be read on the club website:

"Official response to the sanction imposed by the FIFA Disciplinary Commission on the Royal Federation of Spanish Football and FC Barcelona for infractions related to the transfer and registration of players under the age of 18. The Club will be presenting the corresponding appeal to FIFA and should it be necessary, take the resulting resolution to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Following the sanction imposed by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee on FC Barcelona (FCB) for offenses involving the transfer and registration of players under 18, FCB would like to make the following points:

• 1. According to the official statement released by FIFA, the Royal Spanish Football Federation has also been sanctioned the transfer of international minors.
  • 2. The statute that FCB allegedly infringed upon is intended to protect minors from the actions of sports clubs that incorporate players without ensuring the required attention necessary for proper development, FCB itself does guarantee the development of its players through the model of La Masia.
  • 3. La Masia’s model incorporates educational training programs, accommodation, meals, medical care, attention to the needs of children and sports development plans. FCB forms people before athletes, a fact that has not been considered by FIFA, which applies a penalty criterion that ignores the educational function of our training program.
  • 4. All FCB players have always had their federal licenses as required by the respective federations. All of them at all times.
  • 5. Some of the players affected by FIFA’s ruling have even been called up by the Catalan Football Federation to participate in the regional championships with the Catalan team.
  • 6. Since this process was started by FIFA, the federation licenses held by the affected players have been withdrawn and they have not featured in official matches. Thus, there has been no non-regulatory participation in athletic endeavours by any of the aforementioned players.
  • 7. FC Barcelona has not breached any civil law and all children who train at La Masia are legal residents in the country.
  • 8. Players whose federal licenses have been nullified by FIFA have had the option of continuing in the Club, which is committed to ensuring their education, in order to avoid social harm, despite the fact that they are banned from featuring for FCB.
  • 9. No player of FCB is in an administrative irregular situation.
  • 10. FCB has communicated the need to revise the regulations intended to protect minors on various occasions to FIFA. The intent is to make said regulations more effective.
  • 11. FCB’s development model has always received the express recognition of FIFA, La Masia has always been used as an example of good practice.
  • 12. FCB’s candidates for the Ballon d'Or is an example of FIFA’s recognition of our sports training and development procedures.
  • 13. FCB’s training model aids the families of many players to integrate into society.
  • 14. In Catalonia alone it is estimated that 15,000 underage players born outside of Spain and registered with their federation who, according to the criteria used in this case by FIFA, would have to be considered to be in a similarly unauthorised state.

For all the above mentioned reasons, FCB will be presenting the corresponding appeal to FIFA and should it be necessary, take the resulting resolution to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). FCB will also demand the relevant interim measures needed to preserve the Club’s rights, amongst which are those along to it to sign players in transfer windows."

1082077-17234336-640-360.jpg

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca transfer ban casts doubt on potential Ter Stegen deal

3 April 2014

436928header.jpg

Barcelona's transfer ban could scupper any potential move for Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

On Wednesday, FIFA hit the Liga champions with an embargo for the next two transfer windows due to irregularities with their dealings over youth transfers, although the club have since announced their intention to appeal the decision.

Ter Stegen's agent Gerd von Bruch initially moved to allay fears that Barca's ban could hinder any agreement being reached between the two clubs amid intense speculation that the 21-year-old is on his way to Spain.

But a spokesperson for world football's governing body has cast doubt on the prospective deal.

A statement released to Perform read: "In principle, the transfer ban prevents the club from registering any player for the next two complete and consecutive transfer periods (summer 2014 and winter 2015 registration periods)."

Von Bruch has since moved on his original position, conceding the transfer would be "impossible" judging by FIFA's declaration.

Speaking to Sport Bild, he said: "At this stage - if I interpreted the FIFA statement right - Marc-Andre ter Stegen's move to Barcelona in summer is impossible."

Barcelona are on the hunt for a new goalkeeper with long-term number one Victor Valdes previously announcing his decision to depart Camp Nou at the end of the season.

It has been widely expected that Ter Stegen will fill the void, after the Bundesliga side confirmed the youngster will leave the club when the current campaign ends.

The ban could also cause problems for Barcelona in defence, with captain Carles Puyol having previously revealed his decision to end his long association with the club.

Barca's appeal may be boosted by the fact that Chelsea had a similar sanction overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2010 after being hit with an 18-month embargo over the transfer of French midfielder Gael Kakuta.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Halilovic's lawyer: My client will still join Barcelona

A lawyer representing Alen Halilovic has said the teenager’s transfer to Barcelona will go ahead despite the club’s transfer ban.

FootballEspana – 3 April 2014

1112195-17595822-640-360.jpg

Jean Louis Dupont told Spanish radio station Esports RAC1 that because the Halilovic transfer was completed before the ban was imposed, it should still go through.

“I can’t imagine that my client will not play for Barcelona. This is a pre-penalty operation,” Sport reports Dupont as saying.

Barca are appealing the sanction but it is not yet known if the signing of Halilovic - or the rumoured purchase of Marc-Andre Ter Stegen - will be effected.

Dupont, who was involved in the famous of Jean-Marc Bosman that led to a major change in the transfer system in the 1990s, applauded FIFA’s stance on the matter of the transfer of players under the age of 18.

But Dupont argued Barca were acting in the interest of the players concerned, such is the high standard of their facilities.

“FIFA has done well in identifying there’s a problem but I think they are giving out the wrong medicine,” Dupont continued.

“If FIFA’s ban doesn’t allow a future for a child and his family, then it’s wrong.

“It strikes me that if Barca sign a kid of 11, guarantees are given that he will have proper training in a good environment.”

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona's formation is holding Neymar back, says Scolari

386381_heroa.jpg

Apr 3, 2014 12:09:00 PM

The Selecao boss feels the former Santos star has struggled at Camp Nou as a result of being played down the right

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari believes Neymar is being played out of position for Barcelona but remains confident he can be the star attraction at the World Cup.

The 22-year-old has received his fair share of criticism ever since his big-money move from Santos to the Camp Nou side, but Scolari feels the tricky attacker is not the one to blame for his relatively underwhelming performances so far this term.

"Neymar hasn't shone at Barca because they play different to what he is used to," Scolari told reporters.

"He's better when he has space, but Barcelona have him playing on the right.

"The Spanish press has one opinion about Neymar and the Brazilian press has another."

Scolari then went on to highlight Neymar's importance to the national team and stressed that the Barcelona forward could be one of the stars of the 2014 World Cup.

"For the national team he's a special player and he plays in a different way to how he does at Barca.

"This can be Neymar's World Cup, we can be sure of that."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Struggling Betis face stern Barca test, Atletico host Villarreal

2 April 2014

436429header.jpg

Champions Barcelona host bottom club Real Betis in a weekend of La Liga action that could have a major impact on both ends of the table.

Beleaguered Betis have claimed only five league wins all season and are eight points adrift of safety ahead of their daunting trip to Camp Nou.

Gabriel Calderon's side will be heavy underdogs against a Barca team whose title chances have been drastically improved by a run of four straight league wins, including a dramatic 4-3 Clasico triumph at arch rivals Real Madrid.

Barca still trail Atletico Madrid by a point, and were held to a 1-1 draw by the leaders on Tuesday in the first leg of a UEFA Champions League quarter-final.

Diego Simeone's men, who have won their last five league games, are also in action on Saturday against a Villarreal side without a win in four against Atletico.

Real's defeat to Barca was followed by another setback at Sevilla and, although Carlo Ancelotti's men then thrashed Rayo Vallecano 5-0, Spain's third-placed side will be wary of succumbing to a further slip-up at Real Sociedad.

Sociedad have lost just twice at Anoeta in the league this term and stunned Barca in Februrary with a 3-1 win.

Jagoba Arrasate's men are six points adrift of Athletic Bilbao in the race for the final Champions League qualifying berth.

Defender Alberto De La Bella is targeting a strong result against Real after a 3-3 draw in the corresponding fixture last term helped them earn a spot in Europe's premier club competition.

"Last season we managed a draw and we'll have to be mindful of that game," De La Bella told Sociedad's official website. "We were playing for fourth place and we achieved a point that helped us reach the Champions League qualifiers.

"This time around, we have to keep going as we have and be aggressive. We have to concede as little as possible against them, because they so often seize on their opportunities.

"We must stand up to them and make the most of what we have, because teams like Real Madrid are very unforgiving."

Bilbao visit Levante on Monday as they look to strengthen their grip on fourth spot while Sevilla, who only lead Sociedad on head-to-head record following a defeat to Celta Vigo last weekend, host Espanyol.

Second-bottom Osasuna host Almeria, with the winner potentially moving out of the bottom three.

Real Valladolid leapfrogged that duo with victory over Almeria last weekend, but face a much more difficult task this time around against Valencia.

Elsewhere, Elche meet Getafe in a game that is also likely to have implications on the relegation fight, fellow strugglers Vallecano take on Celta and Malaga face Granada.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona breach appears indisputable, claims leading sports lawyer

386042_heroa.jpg

Apr 3, 2014 5:39:00 PM

The Catalan giants have been handed a two-window transfer ban by Fifa and their initial statement suggests they have no defence, according to a legal expert

EXCLUSIVE
By Kris Voakes

Barcelona seem to have no hope of escaping punishment for their breach of Fifa regulations, a leading sports lawyer has told Goal.

The Blaugrana were this week handed a two-window transfer ban for having failed to meet the requirements of article 19 of the world governing body's laws regarding the transfer of minors from outside the European Union.

And despite a vehement defence of their practices for promoting education and development at La Masia in an initial club statement, the Catalan outift's failure to present their case to Fifa before the transfers of 10 youngsters leaves them fighting a losing battle legally, according to Ian Lynam, the Head of Sports Law at Charles Russell law firm.

"Their statement doesn't actually deny that they've breached regulation 19 so I don't think their defence is going to be that they are innocent," Lynam told Goal. "It is more likely that they will argue that the sanction is disproportionate and they will try to use the grounds that they have set out as mitigating factors as to why the sanction is too high."

Article 19 was amended in 2010 to include a stipulation that clubs must seek Fifa approval for the transfer of any non-EU player under the age of 18. But Barca are accused of failing to do so ahead of signing 10 youngsters over recent years, and Lynam believes that the club have committed an indisputable breach of the governing body's laws.

"It is no longer enough for Barcelona to prove that the parents of the players were moving for non-footballing rasons," added Lynam. "They also didn't comply with article 19 by going to Fifa and getting approval to sign these young players. Barcelona's defence is how 'we look after these players' but it doesn't matter under the current regime because you have to have gone to Fifa and sought their permission.

"Is it an open and shut case? Yes, I think so. It appears from their statement that they're not actually denying it, so it's just a case of exactly what the sanction should be."

Barcelona's is not the first case brought by Fifa relating to article 19, with Cadiz in 2005 and FC Midtjylland in 2008 having both seen appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) thrown out over the past decade, but Barca's is the first notable breach under the redrawn regulation.

The Catalans have 90 days to lodge an official appeal with Fifa, after which the case would be heard by CAS. The two-window ban against the club would therefore be suspended until a final decision be made.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona transfer ban is 'no coincidence' - vice-president

375228_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Apr 3, 2014 4:00:00 PM

Javier Faus claims that allegations regarding recruitment practices at La Masia are further unwarranted attacks on the Catalan institution

Barcelona's economic vice-president Javier Faus believes the two-window transfer ban handed down by Fifa is a result of the latest attempt to erode the club's image.

The punishment follows evidence gathered by the world game's governing body suggesting Barca had breached rules on youth signings during the acquisition of 10 youngsters.

But Javier Faus told Radio 4, as reported by El Mundo Deportivo, that the Catalans will prove that the allegations are nothing more than the latest leg of a smear campaign against the club.

"Nothing that is happening is either a coincidence nor free," Faus stated. "Over the last five years Barca have been the victims of a series of accusations, such as doping and the aggression of our coaches such as Pep Guardiola and Tito Vilanova.

"Now there is [Lionel] Messi [tax issues], now Neymar [signing controversy]... it isn't fortuitous. If Barca as an institution, along with the fans, aren't strong, then these things will do us harm. Our proposal is to move together. They try to erode the image of Barca but they won't be able to do that.

"As an institution we have said 'enough!'"

Faus continued by claiming that the club's success in recent years has resulted in outside forces wanting to bring the Barcelona name into disrepute.

"We are looking into what is behind this, and when we can show what it is, we will say. There are a lot of people who can't accept that Barca win everything and that we've been the leaders in world football for the past 10 years despite changes in coaches and directors. This doesn't assimilate well, but we won't sit here with our arms folded and the answer will be forceful, I guarantee you that."

The doubts placed over practices at La Masia were of particular issue for Faus, who was at pains to defend the world famous farmhouse's reputation.

"La Masia is a way of understanding football and it is lamentable that our academy has been brought into focus because no club around the world has invested as much as we have in development," he added. "The Fifa ruling is good for Asia and Latin America where investment funds take 100 players, keep one and leave the rest. But you cannot apply that to our system, where we develop people to become footballers.

"The children affected aren't playing but they continue to study and will continue their development. We will fight this, since you cannot tolerate such an attack on a world renowned model."

Barcelona said in a statement on Wednesday that they intend to contest Fifa's decision. They have 90 days to officially lodge an appeal.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real Sociedad v Real Madrid

3 April 2014

436994header.jpg

Real Madrid's La Liga title chase takes them to Real Sociedad on Saturday, but trips to Anoeta have proved fruitless for many this season.

Carlo Ancelotti's men bounced back from back-to-back league defeats with a 5-0 demolition of Rayo Vallecano last weekend, before cruising to a 3-0 win against Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie in midweek.

They sit third in the three-way battle for the title, three points behind leaders Atletico Madrid and two adrift of Barcelona, but Sociedad are a difficult nut to crack on home soil this season, losing just two of 15 league fixtures in front of their own fans.

Barca and Athletic Bilbao are among those sides to come away from Anoeta empty-handed so far this term, as Sociedad continue to eye Champions League qualification for a second successive season.

Jagoba Arrasate's charges are six points short of fourth-placed Bilbao, with seven matches left to play, and will take confidence from their 3-3 draw against the men from the Spanish capital in this fixture last year.

Cristiano Ronaldo was booed by his own supporters during last week's win over Rayo, but showed few ill effects as he regained their backing by finding the net in his 100th Champions League appearance on Wednesday.

The Portugal captain was, however, withdrawn by Ancelotti 10 minutes from time, although the Bernabeu coach has since moved to allay fears of a serious knee injury, calling the problem a "minor annoyance".

And midfielder Xabi Alonso praised Ronaldo for his discipline in coming off before the issue developed into something more serious.

"Cristiano did the right thing in coming off as a precaution but I don't think he'll have any problems for Saturday," he told the club's official website. "I think he could progress well and be ready to play.

"He has a small niggle. It's not surprising that there are so many injuries. We have to be careful with the calendar because everything's very close together."

Alonso also stressed that the team would not favour the Champions League over La Liga, adding: "It's not a question of choosing, you have to fight for everything and we have a great opportunity in all competitions.

"In the Liga we are doing better than last year."

In addition to the slight question marks over the fitness of Ronaldo, Madrid are likely to have to do without the services of Marcelo once again after the full-back was confirmed to be suffering from a torn hamstring earlier this week.