• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern worry over Thiago injury

412718_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Sep 4, 2014 10:22:00

The creative midfielder has been out of action for five months and it remains unclear when he could make his comeback

Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has admitted that the German champions are worried about Thiago Alcantara's injury situation.

The Spain international last featured for Bayern in the 3-3 Bundesliga draw with Hoffenheim back in March and has been out of action ever since due to a knee injury.

Thiago was initially expected to be match fit in time for the start of the 2014-15 campaign, but the 23-year-old is still recovering from his knee problem, much to the frustration of Bayern.

"We cannot really say how long his recovery will take," Sammer was quoted as saying by Kicker.

"It's impossible to set a date for a comeback. This is a very regrettable development."

Thiago joined Bayern from Barcelona in the summer of 2013, but injuries have so far prevented him from making an impact at the Bundesliga champions. He made 25 appearances in all competitions for Bayern last term, scoring three goals in the process.

The German champions are still without injured pair Javi Martinez and Bastian Schweinsteiger, too.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal did not make Huntelaar approach, insist Schalke

430230_heroa.jpg

Sep 4, 2014 12:23:00

The Bundesliga outfit have laughed off rumours that the striker was close to a move to the Premier League on transfer deadline day

Schalke director Horst Heldt has dismissed suggestions that Arsenal attempted to sign Klaas-Jan Huntelaar on transfer deadline day and says the club hope to keep him beyond his contract expiration in 2015.

A number of reports earlier this week claimed that Arsenal had turned their attention to Huntelaar in the search for a new striker before the end of the summer window, but they eventually signed Danny Welbeck from Manchester United instead.

Heldt has now stressed that the Gunners never made a move for Huntelaar, while also insisting that there was no interest from other clubs for the 31-year-old either.

"There was no approach from Arsenal or from any other club," Heldt was quoted as saying by Kicker. "Klaas-Jan is part of Schalke's core. We can definitely see him sign a contract renewal here.

"He is a great player, an absolute modern professional. He's always hungry for success and wants to achieve his goals."

Huntelaar netted 12 goals in 18 Bundesliga appearances for Schalke last term as he missed many months due to injury.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Weidenfeller plans to see out career at Dortmund

452896_heroa.jpg

Sep 6, 2014 14:29:36

The 34-year-old says he wants to "enjoy the good times" at Signal Iduna Park after spending 12 years at the club

Roman Weidenfeller sees no reason why he will not end his career at Borussia Dortmund and feels he can continue to improve at the age of 34.

The Germany international goalkeeper has spent 12 years at Dortmund, making over 300 appearances for the the club.

During that time, Weidenfeller has won two Bundesliga titles and the DFB-Pokal under the stewardship of Jurgen Klopp.

And the former Kaiserslautern man - who was part of Germany's triumphant World Cup party earlier this year - plans to see out the remainder of his playing days at Signal Iduna Park, and insists he still has plenty to offer before calling time on his career.

"One can never say one hundred per cent, in football anything is possible," he said in an interview with T-Mobile.

"I want to play a few more years and the club has an opinion too, but in principle it would be my wish to end my career in Dortmund.

"The club, the environment, the fans -they're all things I've grown incredibly fond of in this long time.

"I've been through the bad times in Dortmund, why should I not want to enjoy the good there now?"

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reus ruled out for a month

453321_heroa.jpg

Sep 8, 2014 14:11:00

The 25-year-old has damaged the same ankle that kept him out of the World Cup and could miss as many as nine matches

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed that Marco Reus will miss approximately four weeks of action after picking up another ankle injury in Germany's 2-1 Euro 2016 qualifying victory over Scotland on Sunday night.

The attacker missed the World Cup due to an injury to his right ankle and following a challenge from Charlie Mulgrew at Signal Iduna Park there were fears that the joint had suffered another serious problem.

Dortmund have, however, indicated that his injury is not as serious as the 25-year-old’s previous issue.

BVB team doctor Markus Braun has suggested that Reus has strained his ligaments and will require four weeks rehabilitation to allow the injury to heal fully.

While it is good news for the Bundesliga runners-up that one of their most valued players will not miss too many fixtures, he has been ruled out of the Champions League clash with Arsenal in little over a week, while he will also likely miss the second fixture versus Anderlecht away from home. Additionally, he could miss as many as five league matches.

Reus now faces a race to be fit for Germany’s next Euro 2016 qualifying matches, which take place against Poland and the Republic of Ireland in mid-October.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern hit back at Platini over Ribery retirement row

444775_heroa.jpg

Sep 9, 2014 08:09:09

Uefa president Michel Platini said the winger would be banned for three games if he rejected a France call-up but the Bavarian chief says the matter has been resolved

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists that row over Franck Ribery's international retirement has been "all but settled".

Uefa president Michel Platini claimed on Sunday that the French winger would be hit with a three-game suspension for his club side if he refused a call-up from Les Bleus boss Didier Deschamps.

However, Rummenigge insists that Ribery has already been given permission to bring the curtain down on his international career.

"It is all but settled," the Bayern chief told Bild. "As Philipp Lahm has discussed his international retirement with [Germany coach Joachim] Low, Franck has indeed discussed his with Deschamps.

"He will still not being called up anymore [despite Platini's threat]. Everything is in order and Fifa-compliant."

Platini had argued that players do not have the right to choose whether they represent their country.

"Franck Ribery cannot simply decide whether he plays for France or not," the former Bleus ace told Bild am Sonntag.

"If coach Didier Deschamps calls him up, he must come to play for the national team."

However, Bayern's stance on Ribery's retirement has also drawn support from Bundesliga rivals Borussia Dortmund.

"The decision must be left to the players themselves," argued BVB sporting director Michael Zorc. "They are not serfs of their federations!"

Ribery was capped 81 times by his country before deciding to call time on his international career after missing this summer's World Cup with a back problem.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ribery declares himself fit to face Stuttgart

441663_heroa.jpg

Sep 9, 2014 18:13:29

The Frenchman has shrugged off lingering knee and back problems and says he is ready to return to Bundesliga action

Franck Ribery has declared himself fit for Bayern Munich 's Bundesliga clash with Stuttgart on Saturday.

The winger has been in the headlines in recent days after Uefa chief Michel Platini suggested he could face disciplinary sanctions if he fails to turn up in the event of being selected for the national team, despite having announced his retirement from the international game last month.

Ribery missed the World Cup in Brazil after suffering a back injury shortly before the finals, and is yet to feature in competitive action for Bayern this season after struggling with knee problems.

582F3030A190038E3430C6158AA93854.jpg

HE'S BACK | Ribery trains after shrugging off knee and lumbar problems this week

Bayern head coach Pep Guardiola stated on August 21 that the 31-year-old would be out for "two or three weeks", and on Tuesday Ribery claimed he was now ready for action.

"I'm feeling good and I'm fit for Saturday," he told Bayern's official website following a training session.

"Now I just need to find my rhythm."

Bayern have also insisted the matter of Ribery's international involvement "has been resolved" and are adamant he would not receive sanctions for his decision to opt out of France duty.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: Dortmund can cope without Reus

453646_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 10:38:28

The attacker picked up another ankle injury while on international duty and has been ruled out of action for a month

Jurgen Klopp believes Borussia Dortmund can cope without injured star player Marco Reus for four weeks.

The Germany international was left in agony after being felled by Charlie Mulgrew in the dying seconds of his country's Euro 2016 qualifier with Scotland on Sunday and it was initially feared that the attacker had aggravated the same ankle problem that ruled him out of this summer's World Cup.

However, subsequent scans have revealed only strained ligaments, meaning Reus will be able to return to action in a month.

"It could have been worse," Klopp told Bild. "I am, of course, very sorry for Marco, but four weeks will go quickly.

"We just have to work now and score without him."

Dortmund's hopes of doing just that appeared to have been jeopardised by a hip injury suffered by striker Ciro Immobile during Italy's 2-0 win over Norway.

However, even though the club's star summer signing was taken from the field on a stretcher, Azzurri team doctor Enrico Castellacci insisted that Immobile had already made a rapid recovery from the blow.

"Immobile suffered a bruised hip and, at first, he could barely move," he told Rai Sport.

"But after a few minutes he was already doing much better."

Dortmund return to Bundesliga action against Freiburg on Saturday before kicking off their Champions League campaign with a meeting with Arsenal at Signal Iduna Park on September 16.

Reus is also likely to miss subsequent domestic clashes with Mainz, Stuttgart and Schalke, as well as the October 1 Champions League trip to Belgium to face Anderlecht.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hummels blasts Bayern's "calculated" attacks on Dortmund

441560_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 12:54:48

The Germany international has blasted his former club's CEO for trying to destabilise BVB by publicly revealing the alleged figure of Marco Reus' buy-out clause

Mats Hummels has accused Bayern Munich of repeatedly making "calculated" attempts to "weaken or unsettle" Borussia Dortmund.

The defender came through the youth team ranks in Bavaria before leaving for BVB in 2009, after a year on loan at Signal Iduna Park.

However, despite his close ties with Bayern, he is appalled by what he feels are deliberate and underhanded attempts to destabilise Dortmund, citing Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's recent comments on Marco Reus' buy-out clause as a case in point.

"Bayern have had difficulties for us for years, which is why they try to weaken or unsettle us," the Germany international told Transfermarkt.

"Look at the way Karl-Heinz Rummenigge recently betrayed the alleged contract details of Marco Reus - such statements are calculated.

"But the fact that Bayern deals with us is actually the greatest praise."

Hummels also feels that Dortmund, who won successive Bundesliga titles in 2011 and 2012, believes that Jurgen Klopp's side have upset Bayern with their on-field excellence and argues that they would have claimed even more trophies at their rivals' expense had it not been for poor officiating.

"What if we had had the luck of the referee on our side in the Champions League final [in 2013 when Dante controversially avoided a red card] and the DFB Pokal final [last season when Dortmund had a fair goal not given] - and not Bayern?"

"I think they know that these two victories were lucky and that they could have been very different."

Hummels admitted that he could easily still be at Bayern today had fate not intervened - but insisted that leaving the Allianz Arena was the key moment in his career to date.

"If Bayern had not bought Breno in 2007 for €12 million, I would not have left," he argued.

"But that's the way football is sometimes: I was practically forced towards happiness. It was the best thing that could have happened to me."

Consequently, while Hummels has been linked with the likes of Manchester United and Barcelona in recent times, he has no intention of leaving Dortmund, which is precisely why he insisted against having a buy-out clause in his contract.

"I wanted to set an example with the extension I signed and it will run for five years until 2017."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund: Kagawa fit to face Freiburg

450862_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 10:10:40

The Japan international did not complete training on Thursday, sparking suggestions he would be absent this weekend, but Michael Zorc has hinted otherwise

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa is expected to face Freiburg despite leaving training early on Thursday, according to the club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

The 25-year-old returned to Dortmund late in the transfer window after two years of struggling to shine at Manchester United but was forced out of training with a limp, fuelling rumours in German media that his bow would have to wait beyond this weekend.

However, Zorc said it was precautionary for the former Manchester United man to finish up early as coach Jurgen Klopp looks to deal with the absence of the injured Marco Reus.

"It was a precautionary measure. We assume that he can play Saturday," Zorc told Bild.

Klopp - whose side have a win and a loss early in the season – welcomed back the Japan international and believes Kagawa still has plenty of the attributes which made him catch the eye of Manchester United two years ago.

"We've just trained together for four or five days but we have to perform against Freiburg," the BVB coach said prior to Thursday's training. "I saw most of the things that were there when Kagawa left us, but not everything.

"But of course he's now two years older and more experienced. He speaks English now and still a bit German which will improve in the coming months.

"It's very enjoyable to have him back around and in our dressing room."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger: I need time to heal

435522_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 09:12:22

The newly-named Germany captain referenced his injury woes in 2013 and says, following the World Cup this summer, he is easing himself back to full fitness

Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has stressed he is easing his way back to full fitness as he needs time to heal after a hectic 2013-14.

The 30-year-old was an integral part of Germany's World Cup win this summer, but he struggled with injury throughout the preceding season as he twice required surgery on his ankle.

This time it is the newly-named Mannschaft skipper's knee which has seen him sidelined and, although Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge stressed the injury is not a long-term one, the 30-year-old is not willing to risk rushing back and aggravating the issue.

"I had an operation on my ankle in June 2013, then I had to have it operated on again in December," Schweinsteiger told Welt. "After the World Cup, my body needs a little time to heal, but I'm progressing.

"I'm at the peak age for a footballer and I'm looking forward to the games I have ahead of me. I think I will be fully fit again in the next few weeks."

Schweinsteiger also spoke about Joachim Low naming him Philipp Lahm's successor as Germany captain and the midfielder is honoured to have been given the chance to lead his country permanently.

"I'm proud of it," he added. "It is a great honour for me, it means huge responsibility and obligation. Philipp did outstanding in the role and I hope to follow him well."

Bayern will be without Schweinsteiger on Saturday when they face Stuttgart in their third Bundesliga tie of 2014-15.

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dante: I was surprised we signed Alonso

450636_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 20:09:56

The Brazilian defender had no idea Bayern Munich were going to buy the midfielder but says his "incredible experience" will prove to be a massive boost

Bayern Munich defender Dante says he was surprised by the club's signing of Xabi Alonso from Real Madrid.

The Bundesliga champions bought the midfielder this summer for a reported fee of €10 million and the former Spain international made his debut the following day in a 1-1 draw with Schalke.

Dante was caught off guard by the arrival of the 32-year-old, but says the ex-Liverpool man's experience will help Bayern as they attempt to win the treble in 2014-15.

"With Mehdi Benatia I wasn't surprised," he told TZ. "But with Xabi Alonso it all happened incredibly fast and we knew nothing about it in advance.

"We are playing in three competitions and want to win all three, so we need a lot of players. I stand by my opinion - when players come with the quality of Xabi or Mehdi, it is always good.

"I've only trained with him a few times but in the game against Schalke you already saw that he is a great personality. Xabi has an incredible amount of experience and can help us right away."

The centre-back added that Alonso will have to adapt quickly to the German culture of the club, revealing that even coach Pep Guardiola rarely speaks Spanish.

Dante continued: "We always try to speak German and Pep only speaks German. He tries to explain everything in German and I speak very little Spanish with him.

"I try to help Xabi and Pepe Reina and sometimes translate speeches for them. Those two are talking to each other in Spanish and that is normal, but the culture at Bayern is German."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund hit with Blaszczykowski injury blow

454549_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 14:20:55

The winger becomes the latest casualty for Jurgen Klopp's side after being ruled out for another month with a muscle tear

Borussia Dortmund winger Jakub Blaszczykowski has received a fresh injury blow after being ruled out for a month with a muscle tear.

The 28-year-old winger has not featured in a competitive outing since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament against Augsburg in January.

Blaszczykowski did make a brief cameo in a 3-0 pre-season friendly victory over Slask Wroclaw last month, but he will now have to wait even longer for a first-team comeback after his latest setback.

"Unfortunately it's been confirmed: Kuba has suffered a muscle tear and will be out for around four weeks," read a statement on the player's official Facebook page.

Dortmund have a growing injury list at Signal Iduna Park, which includes forward Marco Reus, who tore his ankle ligaments for the second time in four months while playing for Germany in their Euro 2016 qualifying victory over Scotland last week.

With Nuri Sahin (knee), Oliver Kirch (thigh) and Ji Dong-won (hamstring) also on the sidelines and Ilkay Gundogan still recovering from a long-term back problem, Blaszczykowski's absence is a further blow for Dortmund head coach Jurgen Klopp.

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gundogan: I will be even better after injury nightmare

11 September 2014

646945header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan is confident he will be better than ever once he returns from his injury nightmare.

The Germany international was restricted to just three appearances in all competitions for Jurgen Klopp's men last term due to a back problem that also saw him miss his country's World Cup victory in Brazil.

Gundogan resumed light training during the close-season and has been stepping up his workload since then.

The 23-year-old is itching to return to action in the Bundesliga, stating his belief that he will be a better player upon his return and that his injury will not change his combative style.

"I don't feel fear at all," he said in an interview with Bild. "I tackle the normal way and don't take it easy.

"If I can keep my pace and there aren't any setbacks, I am sure that I can be better than before my injury. I'm sure that I have not forgotten anything."

Gundogan also welcomed the return of Shinji Kagawa to Signal Iduna Park.

The Japan international endured a frustrating two-year spell at Manchester United before returning to Dortmund during the transfer window and Gundogan believes he will add to an already strong midfield.

"He [Kagawa] fits very well with our team," he added. "We have a great midfield."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Preview: Kagawa the headline act, Leverkusen look to stay perfect

10 September 2014

646371header.jpg

A host of new signings could make Bundesliga debuts this weekend, with a familiar face at Borussia Dortmund set to command the most attention.

In the first round of fixtures since the transfer window closed, Dortmund appear likely to hand a second debut to Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa, who rejoined the club from Manchester United at the end of last month, when they play host to Freiburg.

Kagawa was a hugely popular figure at Signal Iduna Park during his first spell with Jurgen Klopp's side, which featured back-to-back Bundesliga title triumphs in 2011 and 2012.

While question marks remain over Kagawa's match sharpness due to his lack of action this term, he may well be utilised from the start against Freiburg, particularly after Marco Reus suffered ankle ligament damage for the second time in four months while representing Germany.

Reus was not the only Dortmund player to be hurt during the international break, although Ciro Immobile - taken off a stretcher in the closing stages of Italy's victory over Norway on Tuesday - is believed to have avoided serious damage to his hip.

Xabi Alonso and Mehdi Benatia will each hope to shake off injuries in order to represent champions Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena for the first time.

Bayern face Stuttgart - a side they have beaten in 11 successive meetings - on Saturday, but Alonso (foot), who made his debut in a 1-1 draw at Schalke on August 30 after arriving from Real Madrid, and former Roma defender Benatia (muscular problems) are not guaranteed to feature.

Franck Ribery has declared himself available to Bayern coach Pep Guardiola, after overcoming a knee problem.

Roger Schmidt's Bayer Leverkusen, the only side to have taken maximum points from the first two rounds, kick off the latest week of action with a home game against Werder Bremen on Friday.

Leverkusen won 2-0 at Dortmund on the opening weekend and followed up that triumph with a 4-2 victory over Hertha Berlin, who welcome Mainz to the Olympiastadion on Saturday.

Lewis Holtby and Julian Green could make their Hamburg debuts at Hannover on Sunday after joining on season-long loans from Tottenham and Bayern respectively, while Mirko Slomka has also been boosted by the return to training of skipper Rafael van der Vaart, who suffered a calf injury in a 3-0 home defeat to Paderborn last time out.

Paderborn have enjoyed an unbeaten start to their first Bundesliga season and will look to keep that going when Cologne visit the Benteler Arena.

By contrast, Wolfsburg travel to Hoffenheim seeking a first win of the season, while Borussia Monchengladbach and Schalke, who also meet on Saturday, are two other sides yet to taste victory.

Rock-bottom Augsburg, the only team without a point, face Eintracht Frankfurt in the weekend's other game.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Kagawa nets on return, Monchengladbach put pressure on Keller

13 September 2014

650135header.jpg

Shinji Kagawa netted on his Borussia Dortmund return in a 3-1 win over Freiburg at Signal Iduna Park in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

Japan midfielder Kagawa rejoined Dortmund towards the end of the transfer window after an underwhelming two-year spell in the Premier League with Manchester United.

The 25-year-old received a marvellous reception from Dortmund fans on his return and it did not take him long to make an impact.

Adrian Ramos broke the deadlock in the 34th minute as he steered Kevin Grosskreutz's low cross into the net and Kagawa ensured Dortmund were two up at half-time.

Ramos played a low delivery into the area and Kagawa arrived late, squeezing his effort just inside the left-hand post.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang put the result beyond Freiburg 12 minutes from time as he raced through on goal and chipped a clever finish over the approaching goalkeeper.

Oliver Sorg pulled one back for the visitors in second-half stoppage time, but it was not enough to deny Dortmund a straightforward win.

Schalke coach Jens Keller is back under pressure after his side lost 4-1 against Borussia Monchengladbach at Andre Hahn-inspired Monchengladbach, their third defeat of the season in all competitions.

Hahn opened the scoring with 17 minutes gone, racing free down the right before slamming a finish into the roof of the net and the close-season arrival from Augsburg doubled his tally just after the break when he nodded in Max Kruse's free-kick delivery.

Eric Choupo-Moting pulled one back from the penalty spot in the 52nd minute after Martin Stranzl handled the ball, but Kruse restored the home side's two-goal lead a few moments later after a fine throughball from Raffael and the Brazilian completed the scoring with an easy finish 11 minutes from the end.

Franck Ribery marked his return from injury with a goal as Bayern Munich continued their unbeaten start to the season with a routine 2-0 win at home to Stuttgart.

Mario Gotze opened the scoring in the 27th minute by blasting a low effort past Sven Ulreich in the Stuttgart goal after the visitors failed to clear a corner and, although Bayern were made to wait, they eventually got a second late on.

Robert Lewandowski spotted Ribery in space to his left and the Frenchman calmly slotted past the on-rushing Ulreich, moving champions Bayern on to seven points.

Wolfsburg salvaged a 1-1 draw at Hoffenheim in dramatic circumstances, as Ivica Olic equalised in the 89th minute.

Anthony Modeste put the hosts ahead nine minutes into the second half when he beat the Wolfsburg offside trap, latched on to a lofted ball and beat Diego Benaglio.

However, Olic struck a few moments from the end as he guided Daniel Caligiuri's low cross beyond Oliver Baumann and although Joshua Guilavogui received a second yellow card soon after, Wolfsburg held on for a point.

A double from Shinji Okazaki helped Mainz to an impressive 3-1 win at Hertha Berlin, with Sami Allagui also netting against his former side - who registered through a late Ronny penalty.

Cologne's encouraging start to life back in the top-flight continued as they drew 0-0 at another promoted side in Paderborn, with Peter Stoger's men claiming a third successive cleansheet.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Hamburg beaten again, Augsburg claim first points

14 September 2014

10500771.jpg

Hamburg's woes continued with a 2-0 defeat at Hannover in the Bundesliga on Sunday, while Augsburg claimed their first points of the season.

Despite investing significantly following their narrow escape from relegation last season, Hamburg have started the new campaign wretchedly.

A 0-0 draw at newly-promoted Cologne on the opening weekend was swiftly followed up by an embarrassing 3-0 home defeat to Paderborn, the other Bundesliga newcomers.

Mirko Slomka's men did show some promise on Sunday, but Hannover were ultimately worthy of their victory at the HDI Arena.

Hannover broke the deadlock with just 13 minutes on the clock, Leon Andreasen heading past Jaroslav Drobny in the Hamburg goal following an excellent cross from Miiko Albornoz.

The visitors had seven new signings involved from the start, including Valon Behrami, Nicolai Muller and Lewis Holtby.

However, Hannover went on to double their lead in the 24th minute as Artur Sobiech netted from close range, bundling over the line after initially firing at Drobny.

Muller went close in the second half, but Hamburg were unable to find a reply.

Sunday's other match saw Eintracht Frankfurt fail to move level on seven points with Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen at the top of the fledgling table, as they lost 1-0 at home to Augsburg.

Following defeats to Hoffenheim and Borussia Dortmund, Augsburg were not to be denied a win at the third time of asking.

Frankfurt goalkeeper Kevin Trapp made a number of saves in the first half, but failed to prevent Augsburg moving ahead in the 49th minute.

Raul Bobadilla pounced on a loose ball in the area after Halil Altintop had been dispossessed and fired a precise finish in off the left-hand post, which proved the only goal of the game.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Badstuber requires surgery on thigh injury

14 September 2014

650783header.jpg

Holger Badstuber is facing another lengthy spell on the sidelines after Bayern Munich confirmed he requires surgery on a thigh injury.

The defender missed around 20 months of action after damaging knee ligaments in December 2012, and now faces another "long period" out after tearing tendons in his left thigh during Bayern's 2-0 victory over Stuttgart on Saturday.

But Badstuber, whose return to the first team lasted just three Bundesliga matches, says he is determined to recover as quickly as possible.

"I'm obviously very disappointed at the moment," the 25-year-old told the club's official website.

"But now I know how to deal with such a situation.

"Do not worry, I will come again. I will not give up."

Badstuber had played the full 90 minutes against Wolfsburg and Schalke before being forced off two minutes prior to half-time this weekend.

News of Badstuber's latest setback is a major blow to Bayern, who host Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Team of the Week: Kagawa returns in style as Alonso makes first appearance

455513_heroa.jpg

Sep 15, 2014 12:30:00

The Japan star scored on his return for Dortmund as Borussia Monchengladbach dominate after thrashing Schalke

The Bundesliga returned in style after the international break on Friday as Bayer Leverkusen and Werder Bremen shared six goals in a thrilling draw, while Bayern Munich got back to winning ways, Borussia Dortmund put four past Freiburg and Schalke took a 4-1 thumping at Gladbach. As ever, Goal was there to pick out the best performances.

Yann Sommer takes the plaudits in goal after an excellent performance for Borussia Monchengladbach in their heavy victory over Schalke.

Junior Diaz comes into the defence after helping Mainz beat Hertha Berlin 3-1, while Sebastian Prodl and Tin Jedvaj both scored in Friday's thrilling draw at the BayArena.

Andre Hahn comes into the side after scoring twice in Gladbach's win against Schalke and Julian Baumgartlinger was another Mainz player to catch the eye. The midfield is completed by two big-name summer arrivals: Xabi Alonso of Bayern and Dortmund's Shinji Kagawa, the latter marking his second BVB debut with a goal.

Hakan Calhanoglu was also on target for Leverkusen, while Raffael and Max Kruse both put Schalke to the sword.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kagawa is technically superior, says Grosskreutz

455327_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 15, 2014 10:41:00

The versatile Germany international is thrilled that his "good friend" came back to Dortmund and fired a light-hearted warning shot at Arsenal's Lukas Podolski

Kevin Grosskreutz has described Borussia Dortmund team-mate Shinji Kagawa as "technically superior" to his opponents.

The Japan international struggled to impress at Manchester United following his move from Signal Iduna Park two years ago and he returned to BVB in a cut-price deal late in the summer transfer window.

Following Kagawa's return for Jurgen Klopp's men on Saturday, in which he starred and scored as Dortmund defeated Freiburg 3-1, Grosskreutz is thrilled to have his "good friend" back at the Bundesliga club.

"The most important thing to take away from the clash with Freiburg was that we won," the left midfielder told Ruhr Nachrichten. "It's true, though, I get along great on and off the pitch with Kagawa.

"We are good friends and stayed in regular contact when he joined Manchester United. We are strong together as we showed against Freiburg.

"He is technically superior to others, he can sometimes take on two or three players on his own. It is great fun playing alongside him."

Kagawa is expected to feature again on Tuesday when Dortmund begin 2014-15's Champions League campaign against Arsenal and Grosskreutz is particularly looking forward to clashing with Germany compatriot Lukas Podolski.

"Of course I'm looking forward to facing Poldi," the World Cup 2014 winner laughed. "It'll be an exciting duel. Poldi, watch out, I'm coming for you!"

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Slomka sacked by Hamburg

16 September 2014

653319header.jpg

Mirko Slomka has been sacked as coach of Hamburg following a disappointing start to the season.

Since requiring penalties to see off third-tier Energie Cottbus in the first round of the DFB-Pokal last month, Hamburg's league campaign has failed to take off.

A goalless draw at newly-promoted Cologne was followed by a 3-0 home defeat to Paderborn, who were also plying their trade in the second tier last term.

A 2-0 loss at Hannover on Sunday appears to have been the final straw for the club's hierarchy, who kept faith with Slomka after Hamburg narrowly avoid relegation last season.

The 47-year-old had taken over from Bert van Marwijk after the Dutchman was himself dismissed in February following a string of poor results.

A host of Slomka's backroom staff members will also depart, with Under-23 coach Josef Zinnbauer set to take charge of the first team until a permanent successor is found.

Hamburg director Dietmar Beiersdorf said: "Joe {Zinnbauer] is to arouse emotions and give new impulses. He will conduct the first training session tomorrow [Wednesday] morning."

Zinnbauer's first game in charge will be a daunting home clash with champions Bayern Munich on Saturday if a successor to Slomka is not appointed before the weekend.