• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borussia Dortmund v Augsburg: Klopp uninterested in defending style

2 February 2015

782553header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund's style has come under the spotlight, but coach Jurgen Klopp was uninterested ahead of Wednesday's clash with Augsburg.

Jurgen Klopp has no intention of justifying Borussia Dortmund's style of play as his side attempt to move off the bottom of the Bundesliga against Augsburg on Wednesday.

Dortmund returned to league action on Saturday after the mid-season break and slipped to the foot of the table despite a hard-fought 0-0 draw at UEFA Champions League hopefuls Bayer Leverkusen.

Head coach Klopp and his side faced scrutiny for the way Dortmund played in that game, with the team struggling to create clear-cut opportunities.

However, Klopp was delighted to come away with a clean sheet and believes the players must remain patient in their bid to escape relegation trouble.

"Keeping a clean sheet away was a step forward," he said ahead of the encounter at Signal Iduna Park.

"We all have to be ready for the small and especially for the right steps.

"I don't think any other team has to explain their style of football in a relegation battle. I was very satisfied with the game.

"We could have played a lot more football in many moments, however that's what I mean with small steps. It's a matter of patience.

"It is our only task right now to collect points to stay up."

There were no signs of the miserable run Dortmund would endure after 78 minutes of their reverse fixture with Augsburg last August as Klopp's men opened up a 3-0 lead.

However, perhaps there were indications that all was not well as Augsburg threatened a fightback by scoring two late goals before Dortmund held on for a 3-2 victory.

Dortmund have won just three times in the league since then and part of their trouble has been due to a crippling injury list.

Those woes are set to be eased somewhat with Jakub Blaszczykowski (virus) and Erik Durm (adductor) in line to feature, but Ilkay Gundogan (thigh) remains a doubt, while Sebastian Kehl (shoulder) and Sven Bender (knee) are not yet ready to return.

In Augsburg, Dortmund face a side who are in contention for the Champions League spots and a 3-1 over Hoffenheim on Sunday left Markus Weinzierl's men outside the top four on goal difference only.

Midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was delighted to restart the campaign with a convincing win, but wants no let-up at Dortmund.

"We want to have a good second half of the season and we've made a good start," said the on-loan Bayern Munich man.

"But we've got another job to do on Wednesday."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I can only thank him' - Guardiola counters Raiola attack

895882_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 3, 2015 10:30:00

The Bayern coach was the victim of a scathing verbal attack by the agent but would not be drawn into a war of words

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has countered agent Mino Raiola's recent attack by thanking him for praising him as a coach.

Raiola launched a scathing attack at the former Barcelona boss earlier this month, calling him "a crap person" for the way he treated Zlatan Ibrahimovic during his time at Camp Nou, despite acknowledging his coaching qualities.

"Raiola? He said that I am a great coach, so I can only thank him," the Bayern coach said when questioned about the agent's comments at a press conference.

The 44-year-old fell out with Ibrahimovic during the Swede's spell at Barcelona in 2009-10, with the attacker leaving the club for AC Milan just one year after his arrival from Inter.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola: Dortmund slump could also happen to Bayern

872442_heroa.jpg

Feb 3, 2015 08:08:00

The Spaniard has again warned that the reigning champions are not untouchable and expects a difficult game against Schalke

Pep Guardiola has warned Bayern Munich must learn from Borussia Dortmund's fall from grace this season to ensure they do not suffer a similar fate.

Dortmund have been Bayern's closest rivals in the past five Bundesliga seasons – winning two titles of their own – but find themselves bottom of the table in the current campaign.

Having lost Robert Lewandowski to Bayern at the end of last season, Dortmund's attempts to replace the Pole's firepower have failed, with Ciro Immobile and Adrian Ramos scoring just five goals between them so far.

Additionally, Jurgen Klopp's side have struggled with long-term injuries to the likes of Mats Hummels, Jakub Blaszczykowski, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Ilkay Gundogan.

BVB have just four wins from 18 games all season, while Bayern are eight points clear at the top despite their first defeat to Wolfsburg on Friday, but Guardiola maintains their plight should serve as a warning.

"I like Klopp and Dortmund," said the Spaniard. "They have great players, but now they are bottom.

"We have to watch it [their fall], that could happen to us."

Guardiola is keen to ensure Bayern find their composure again against Schalke on Tuesday despite facing a side he believes are dangerous.

"If we understand that we can also lose tomorrow, then we are on the right track," he added.

"Schalke are one of the best teams in Germany. It is difficult to attack them, we must patiently play.

"They will be super organised defensively."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamburg sign Chile midfielder Marcelo Diaz

Troubled Hamburg SV have signed Chilean defensive midfielder Marcelo Diaz from Swiss side Basel to bolster their backline as they battle to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga.

2 February 2015 12:09 Reuters

306852-marcelo-diaz.jpg

Marcelo Diaz (l.) vor Medizincheck in Hamburg

Chile international Diaz signed a contract to 2017 after passing a medical in Hamburg on Monday, the club said.

"We saw Marcelo's qualities at the World Cup last summer," Hamburg sporting director Peter Knaebel said. "He is someone who wants the ball, wants the game focused on him even in difficult situations.

"He can be a bridge (from defence to attack) for our game when we go forward. That is what I expect from him and that is what he has already done at top level."

Hamburg, who have seen billionaire Klaus-Michael Kuehne pump more than 18 million euros into the debt-laden club, have also boosted their frontline by bringing in experienced Croatian striker Ivica Olic from VfL Wolfsburg.

Hamburg are in the relegation playoff spot in 16th place on 17 points.

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamburg's Lasogga to miss next two game through injury

Hamburg SV will be without striker Pierre Lasogga for at least two matches after he suffered a muscle injury in training on Monday evening, the club said on Tuesday.

3 February 2015 Reuters

1385247-29701317-2560-1440.jpg

Hamburg, in 16th place and battling to avoid relegation, travel to promoted Paderborn on Wednesday before hosting Hanover 96 on Saturday.

"Hamburg will have to do without Lasogga for some time," the club said in a statement. He pulled a muscle in his right thigh during training on Monday evening."

Coach Joe Zinnbauer has a replacement for Lasogga with experienced Croatian striker Ivica Olic joining the former European champions from VfL Wolfsburg last week.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Preview: Bayern seek quick response

2 February 2015

782610header.jpg

Bayern Munich lost their first Bundesliga match on Friday, but a Tuesday home clash against Schalke gives the champions a chance to respond.

Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich will seek a quick response to their first defeat of the season when they host Schalke 04 on Tuesday.

Pep Guardiola's men were beaten 4-1 by the second-placed Wolfsburg on Friday, a result that cut the gap between the two to eight points.

Bayern still lead the league comfortably and are 15 points ahead of Borussia Monchengladbach in third, but the Bavarian giants will be keen to hit back as they go in search of a third successive title.

Defender Jerome Boateng said after the Wolfsburg defeat: "It's simple - we played really badly.

"We have to take a good, long look at ourselves."

A quick turnaround helps Bayern, who face a Schalke side missing star striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar through suspension.

Roberto Di Matteo's side could welcome back top scorer Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, though, following Cameroon's elimination from the Africa Cup of Nations.

In another boost to the fourth-placed Schalke, winger Franck Ribery (thigh) is expected to miss for the hosts.

Wolfsburg, who splashed the cash to sign Andre Schurrle from Chelsea on transfer deadline day, go to Eintracht Frankfurt - also on Tuesday.

Bas Dost and Kevin De Bruyne both scored doubles in the Bayern win and Schurrle's arrival adds further firepower to a Wolfsburg side looking increasingly likely to finish second.

From Borussia Monchengladbach to Bayer Leverkusen, in sixth, just one point separates several teams angling for a UEFA Champions League berth.

One goal was enough for Gladbach at relegation-threatened Stuttgart on Saturday and they host struggling Freiburg on this occasion.

Freiburg were bottom over the mid-season break and trailed Frankfurt 1-0 after 61 minutes on Saturday.

But a remarkable finish - which included Nils Petersen, a new loan signing from Werder Bremen, scoring a hat-trick - saw Freiburg claim a 4-1 win.

They climbed to 14th, and safety, with the win.

Augsburg, in fifth, and Leverkusen, are both in action on Thursday.

Augsburg go to rock-bottom Borussia Dortmund, while Bayer Leverkusen will aim to bounce back from a dull goalless stalemate against Jurgen Klopp's side when they visit the German capital to play Hertha Berlin.

Elsewhere, second-bottom Stuttgart visit Cologne and Paderborn play Hamburg in a potential relegation six-pointer.

Hannover face Mainz and Hoffenheim clash with Werder Bremen in other matches.

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Review: Bayern escape with a point, Wolfsburg held by Frankfurt

3 February 2015

guardiola-munich.jpg

Wolfsburg failed to close the eight-point gap behind Bundesliga pacesetters Bayern Munich after the top two were both held to 1-1 draws.

Bayern Munich have dropped points in two successive Bundesliga matches for the first time since April 2014 as Schalke held them to a dramatic 1-1 draw, but Wolfsburg could not capitalise.

Bayern came into Tuesday's meeting at the Allianz Arena following a 4-1 thrashing by second-placed Wolfsburg last time out, and it looked as though they were facing another struggle when centre-back Jerome Boateng was sent off for a foul on Sidney Sam in the penalty box inside the first 20 minutes.

But Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who has scored 10 goals in all competitions this season, saw his tame spot-kick denied by Manuel Neuer diving to his left.

It seemed the visitors would be left to rue that wasted chance when forward Arjen Robben headed in Xabi Alonso's corner midway through the second period, but captain Benedikt Howedes produced a similar finish from Sam's 72nd-minute delivery to earn his team a share of the spoils.

Despite dropping points for the second time in succession, Bayern maintain their eight-point advantage at the top of the Bundesliga thanks to Wolfsburg's 1-1 draw at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Buoyed by their Bayern scalp and a run of form which included just one league defeat in 12 matches, Wolfsburg went to Frankfurt confident of beating their mid-table opposition, even with new signing Andre Schurrle absent.

But, with 58 minutes on the clock, things got uncomfortable for Dieter Hecking's men, as Stefan Aigner found the net following good work by Takashi Inui.

Frankfurt were denied a fine win two minutes from time, however, as Kevin De Bruyne turned in Marcel Schafer's cross to secure a last-gasp draw.

Third-placed Borussia Monchengladbach made the most of Wolfsburg's stalemate, though, closing to within five points of Hecking's side thanks to a 1-0 victory at home to struggling Freiburg.

And in the day's only other fixture, Mainz claimed a 1-1 draw away to Hannover.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola pleased with resilient Bayern

3 February 2015

783205header.jpg

Bayern Munich's resilient performance against Schalke pleases Pep Guardiola, despite the team dropping points in the Bundesliga again.

Pep Guardiola praised 10-man Bayern Munich after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Schalke in the Bundesliga on Tuesday.

The league leaders were eager to get back to winning ways at the Allianz Arena following Friday's heavy defeat at the hands of Wolfsburg, but found themselves a man short after 17 minutes.

Jerome Boateng hauled down Sidney Sam inside the penalty area to earn a red card, although Manuel Neuer saved the resulting spot-kick from Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting .

Arjen Robben eventually opened the scoring for Bayern after 67 minutes, but they were denied a win as Benedikt Howedes levelled five minutes later.

"I'm not satisfied, I am very, very, very satisfied," said Bayern coach Guardiola, despite seeing his side drop points for a second successive game.

"Of course we wanted three points, but 70 minutes outnumbered against Schalke is not easy.

"We had the game very well controlled and had enough chances.

"Our performance was much better than in Wolfsburg. Everything is okay. The red card - no discussion! We were lucky that they have missed the penalty."

Bayern's lead at the top of the table remains eight points, though, after Wolfsburg failed to take their opportunity with a 1-1 draw at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Huntelaar ban reduced

4 February 2015

783394header.jpg

Schalke have succeeded in their appeal to have Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's ban reduced, with the striker having two of the six matches suspended.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's six-match ban has been partly suspended after Schalke succeeded with their appeal against the length of the suspension.

The Netherlands international was sent off with five minutes remaining of their 1-0 Bundesliga victory over Hannover on Saturday following a rash challenge on Manuel Schmiedebach.

A straight red card would normally only incur a three-game ban, however Huntelaar's suspension was extended after confronting referee Sascha Stegemann having been dismissed.

Huntelaar looked set to miss crucial league matches with Bayern Munich, Borussia Monchengladbach and Borussia Dortmund, but will now be available for the last of those fixtures after the DFB reduced his ban.

The new suspension, which started with Tuesday's 1-1 draw at Bayern Munich, is for four matches, with a further two suspended until January 30, 2016.

Huntelaar will be able to feature in their UEFA Champions League last-16 tie with Real Madrid, but will not play another league game until the final day of February..

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schurrle left ´tense´ over Wolfsburg switch

4 February 2015

783483header.jpg

Negotiations between Wolfsburg and Chelsea threatened to take Andre Schurrle's move beyond the transfer deadline.

Andre Schurrle has revealed he feared a switch to Wolfsburg from Chelsea would not be completed in time.

Germany international Schurrle completed his return to the Bundesliga for a reported £22million, having failed to hold down a first-team place at Stamford Bridge.

Schurrle is said to have agreed terms early on in the negotiations, but talks between the clubs took the deal perilously close to the transfer deadline.

"Towards the end, everything did draw out somewhat, which was stressful for me and really frayed my nerves," he said. "Now I am finally at VfL Wolfsburg and I am very, very happy about that.

"It wasn't my first transfer, so I was aware that these things can take longer than expected before all parties have agreed on the terms.

"That considered, I was a little tense, because I really wanted to make the move to Wolfsburg.

"Despite that though, I was always pretty convinced that it would work out in the end."

Asked how important it was for him to return to Germany, Schurrle remarked: "That was my express wish. I had offers from Spain and France too, but at the end of the day, I really wanted to return to Germany.

"Wolfsburg made their interest known very early on. I took a look at the team and the prospects of the club, which seem very good.

"For me it quickly became apparent where the journey was going to take me."

Schurrle was part of Germany's World Cup-winning squad in Brazil last year, and says he took advice from national team coach Joachim Low ahead of his move.

"I chose to speak to him about it because we have a good understanding of one another and I rate his opinion very highly," he added. "He told me what he honestly thinks, which he also did before my moves to Leverkusen and to Chelsea.

"We first spoke about a move to Wolfsburg quite some time ago, because he believed that, considering the tactical approach and playing style of VfL, the move to Wolfsburg would be the right move for me."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Qatar 'want Pep Guardiola for 2022 World Cup'

Qatar want Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola to lead the country at the 2022 World Cup, according to reports in Germany.

By Tom Adams 4 February 2015 10:05 Eurosport

1380309-29602566-640-360.jpg

Bayern Munich's coach Pep Guardiola attends a news conference in Doha January 6, 2014. Bayern Munich is in Qatar for a week-long training camp before the resumption of the German Bundesliga season after the winter break.

Guardiola’s face adorns the front of Sport Bild on Wednesday morning, with the paper claiming that he could be the subject of a lucrative approach from the Gulf nation.

Guardiola, who won 14 major honours in just four seasons as Barcelona boss, spent a spell in Qatar towards the end of his playing career, representing Al-Ahli in the Qatar Stars League between 2003 and 2005.

He was also an ambassador for the country’s controversial bid for the 2022 World Cup and only recently endorsed the 2022 tournament as he took Bayern to Qatar for a warm-weather training camp.

“The people in Qatar have to help the country to make the event the best that is possible,” he said. “The world will be watching and I hope the people here can help out to show the world that they are capable of hosting the biggest event in football.

“FIFA has always tried to look for new areas to promote the sport. They went to South Africa in 2010 and in 2022 they have decided to come here. It’s a good step to come to this part of the world. It will help the rest of the world to know this part. Football at the end is a great opportunity to meet different cultures.”

Guardiola won the domestic double in his first season at Bayern and the Bavarian giants top the Bundesliga table at present as well as remaining in contention in the Champions League and German Cup.

However, his future is often subject to debate, with his current deal running until 2016 and reports in January suggesting that Guardiola could even walk away from Bayern at the end of the current season.

It has long been thought that Guardiola’s next port of call will be the Premier League, having spoken openly of his admiration for clubs like Manchester United.

But Qatar have huge financial resources at their disposal and are keen to vastly improve the standard of the national team’s play ahead of the tournament they will host in 2022.

Qatar are currently 92nd in the FIFA rankings.

This seems outrageously unlikely at first glance, but closer inspection suggests it's not impossible. In theory, Guardiola could coach Bayern until the end of his contract next season, manage a Premier League club for three years after that and then take charge of Qatar in 2019 with enough time to get them competitive ahead of the World Cup. It's possible, if not entirely likely.

Guardiola has only ever worked with elite athletes, footballers who would walk into most other teams on earth, so how would he cope presented with a bunch of no-hopers? Still, he has said he wants to manager an international team and with strong Catalan sympathies meaning a spell as Spain boss is far from certain, this could be an option for the future given his already strong links with Qatar.

EXPERT VIEW FROM SPAIN

Ignacio Ruiz, Eurosport Spain: "This story is very interesting but it is not really new. I mean, Pep has been linked with Qatar for several years because he played in Qatar, he supported the World Cup candidature before being chosen and rumours in the past already suggested that Qatar wanted Guardiola or Pellegrini to coach them during the World Cup.

Now that Qatar have achieved an impressive final position during the handball World Cup with a Spanish coach, Valero Rivera, rumours are increasing, but if we review Pep's behaviour, it would be more natural that he could go to the UK before taking any responsibility in Doha and the WC is still far away.

THE EXPERT VIEW FROM GERMANY

Thomas Janz, Eurosport Germany: "The journalists in Munich are quite sure: Pep will stay for three years. After this period it is possible that he takes a second sabbatical for one year. From my point of view, Pep is too young and ambitious to lead a national team of Qatar. I am with Marti Perarnau: Either he extends his contract in Munich or his future is in the Premier League, after his period in Munich."

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sahin urges Dortmund unity

5 February 2015

783983header.jpg

After Borussia Dortmund's survival hopes took another blow, Nuri Sahin has urged the club to unite to help avoid a shock relegation.

Nuri Sahin has called for everybody at Borussia Dortmund to unite after their fight against relegation from the Bundesliga suffered another setback against Augsburg on Wednesday.

Dortmund slipped to a 1-0 home loss to Augsburg at Signal Iduna Park, the visitors claiming all three points thanks to a 50th-minute strike from Raul Bobadilla.

Augsburg hung on despite being reduced to 10 men when Christoph Janker was shown a straight red card in the 64th minute, leaving Roman Weidenfeller and Mats Hummels to talk with angry Dortmund fans after the final whistle.

Jurgen Klopp's men could still climb out of the bottom three with victory at Freiburg on Saturday, and attacking midfielder Sahin wants the club to pull together as Dortmund seek to avoid a surprising drop to the second tier.

He told Ruhr Nachrichten: "We are the only ones, the team, the club, we can and must come out there together.

"Now there are scenarios in which we could devour each other, but we must move together even more closely.

"It is a fact that only we can change the situation. We must do everything to ensure that we don't go down."

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Grosskreutz ruled out for six weeks

5 February 2015

784128header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund's survival hopes have suffered yet another blow, with the versatile Kevin Grosskreutz set for a lengthy absence.

Kevin Grosskreutz has been ruled out for six weeks due to a torn thigh muscle suffered in Borussia Dortmund's 1-0 defeat to Augsburg on Wednesday.

The versatile Germany international was withdrawn in the 60th minute of the clash at Signal Iduna Park, which saw the visitors hold on to claim all three points through Raul Bobadilla's goal despite Christoph Janker's red card.

And that loss has proven doubly costly with Grosskreutz, who can operate on the wing as well as in central midfield and at full-back, reduced to the role of spectator until March.

"Borussia Dortmund will be without Kevin Grosskreutz for the next six weeks," a statement on Dortmund's official website read.

"The all-rounder, who was used as a full-back in the game against Augsburg, went off on Wednesday night with a small tear to the thigh muscle.

"The medical department expects that Grosskreutz will be out for about six weeks, so he could perhaps be ready for the Champions League second leg against Juventus on March 18."

However there is better news for the Bundesliga's bottom club surrounding full-back Lukasz Piszczek.

Piszczek was kept out of the game against Augsburg after struggling with a problem in training but, ahead of Saturday's trip to Freiburg, coach Jurgen Klopp said: "He [Piszczek] seems much better to go."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Boateng receives three-match ban

5 February 2015

784172header.jpg

Bayern Munich have stuttered in recent weeks, and will now have to cope without key defender Jerome Boateng for three Bundesliga games.

Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng has been suspended for three matches following his red card in their 1-1 draw with Schalke on Tuesday.

The Germany international was sent off in the 17th minute of the Bundesliga meeting at the Allianz Arena for bringing down Schalke forward Sidney Sam.

Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting saw his resulting tame penalty saved by Manuel Neuer. Bayern then took the lead through an Arjen Robben header in the 67th minute, only for Benedikt Howedes to equalise five minutes later.

That result followed a 4-1 loss at Wolfsburg, and Bayern will now aim to get back to winning ways without Boateng, who will miss Saturday's trip to Stuttgart as well as the league games with Hamburg and Paderborn.

A statement on the German Football Association's (DFB) official website read: "The DFB Disciplinary Board have been advised by the DFB's Supervisory Committee to hand FC Bayern Munich's Jerome Boateng a ban of three Bundesliga games for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"Boateng was sent off in the 17th minute by referee Bastian Dankert [Rostock] of Bayern's Bundesliga game against FC Schalke 04 on 3rd February 2015.

"The club has 24 hours to request a hearing before the DFB disciplinary board."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Crisis? What crisis?

6 February 2015

784678header.jpg

Bayern Munich are not in crisis, according to Pep Guardiola, despite struggling on their return to the Bundesliga.

Pep Guardiola has dismissed suggestions that Bayern Munich are in crisis after taking just one point from a possible six following the mid-season break.

A 4-1 defeat at the hands of second-placed Wolfsburg was followed by a 1-1 draw with Schalke in midweek, with Jerome Boateng's early dismissal in the latter fixture making life tougher for the Bundesliga holders.

Having seen their lead cut to eight points ahead of Saturday's trip to struggling Stuttgart, Guardiola told reporters on Friday: "Crisis? There is no crisis. These things happen in football.

"We weren't good enough in Wolfsburg but I was happy with the Schalke game.

"I've said it in other press conferences - it's impossible to just keep winning, winning, winning for 11 months. Not even here.

"It is impossible always to win the title with a 25-point advantage over our rivals."

Guardiola also confirmed that Franck Ribery and Rafinha are "much, much better" after their muscular and ligament injuries respectively, with both due to rejoin team training soon.

The Spaniard went on to reflect on his behaviour in the draw against Schalke, which saw him sprint to the corner flag and remonstrate with a linesman after a disallowed Robert Lewandowski goal.

"I have to stay in my coaching zone. I'm a serious guy, I'm sorry for leaving it. I hope it won't happen in future," he added, before also discussing Boateng's sending-off for hauling down Sidney Sam.

"I'm a Catalan, we're latino. We are a bit more emotional. I'm a very emotional guy.

"I agree with the fact that there was a foul, a penalty and a red card. However, I think that the three-game suspension [for Boateng] is too much."

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Preview: Hummels urges Dortmund fight

6 February 2015

784441header.jpg

Relegation-threatened Borussia Dortmund need to play a more aggressive brand of football, according to captain Mats Hummels.

Borussia Dortmund captain Mats Hummels has called on his team-mates to show fight on the pitch with relegation from the Bundesliga fast becoming a real possibility ahead of their trip to Freiburg on Saturday.

Dortmund remain two points adrift at the foot of the table after crashing to a 1-0 defeat at home to 10-man Augsburg on Wednesday.

Hummels and vice-captain Roman Weidenfeller spoke to frustrated supporters post-match following a fifth league match without success.

No one could have predicted Dortmund's demise, having seen Jurgen Klopp's men finish in the top two in the past four Bundesliga campaigns.

However, the danger of being relegated to Germany's second tier for the first time since 1971-72 is becoming an increasing concern.

And Hummels has urged Dortmund to dig deep to avoid the drop, starting against Freiburg, who are only two points above the former.

"We're always chasing games after going behind," Hummels said after Wednesday's defeat. "What's missing is us taking the lead so that we can then sit back and play on the counter.

"We're all aware we've got to fight in these next 15 games.

"Playing attractive football will just be a bonus - we're still expected to play great football.

"Ninety-eight per cent of this is about the fight. The other two needs to be about loosening up so that we start making the right decisions in the final third."

Looking further up the table, league leaders and reigning champions Bayern Munich travel to third-bottom Stuttgart on Saturday in a rare run of poor form.

Since the mid-season break, Bayern have failed to win a match - beaten 4-1 by second-placed Wolfsburg before drawing 1-1 at home to Schalke on Tuesday.

Bayern remain eight points clear at the summit but cannot afford another slip up with Wolfsburg looming large.

Wolfsburg are also in action on Saturday against Hoffenheim and star recruit Andre Schurrle could make his bow for the club following his move away from Chelsea.

Only two points separate Borussia Monchengladbach, Augsburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke ahead of this weekend's fixtures.

Gladbach occupy third position with 33 points, two clear of sixth-placed Schalke, leading into Friday's showdown at Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen.

Augsburg - level on points with Gladbach - host Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday, while Leverkusen (32 points) make the trip to Werder Bremen, who have won three games on the bounce, on the same day.

Elsewhere, youth team coach Pal Dardai will take charge of second-bottom Hertha Berlin as they travel to Mainz after Jos Luhukay was sacked following Wednesday's loss to Leverkusen.

Cologne tackle Paderborn, while Hamburg and Hannover go head-to-head.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stuttgart v Bayern Munich: Champions seek winning return

5 February 2015

783990header.jpg

Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich are used to winning, and after two matches without victory, are hungry for three points at Stuttgart.

Still searching for their first competitive win of 2015, Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich travel to Stuttgart on Saturday.

A 4-1 defeat at second-placed Wolfsburg was a wake-up call for Pep Guardiola's leaders after the mid-season break and they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Schalke on Tuesday.

Bayern were reduced to 10 men after just 17 minutes when Jerome Boateng fouled Sidney Sam inside the area, but Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting saw his resulting penalty saved by Manuel Neuer.

The champions then took the lead through Arjen Robben midway through the second half before Benedikt Howedes levelled for Schalke, as they took a point from their trip to the Allianz Arena.

The nature of the match and the fact Bayern played for so long with 10 men put a gloss on the result, but the Bavarian giants are used to success and lots of it - putting the importance of this clash at a premium.

And Bayern should find it far easier against a Stuttgart side who sit 16th, in the relegation play-off spot - but only on goal difference.

Hertha Berlin are just one goal behind them, with the 2007 Bundesliga champions only having won four matches this season.

Of those wins, three came on the road - just one of many statistics that point to a Bayern win.

"[Against Schalke] We were better than in the game against Wolfsburg," Bayern midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger told the club's official website.

"We had more control and never let them get at us on the break.

"But we're not happy with a 1-1 draw. We'll go to Stuttgart now looking for a victory."

Bayern have won their last 12 clashes against Stuttgart, scoring 35 goals in the process. Mario Gotze and Franck Ribery scored in Bayern's 2-0 home win in September.

Stuttgart's last win against Bayern came in March 2010, a season in which the Bavarian giants claimed the title.

Bayern's ultimately successful Bundesliga bid was harmed, though, by a 2-1 home loss in which Christian Trasch and Ciprian Marica scored to cap a come-from-behind win.

Stuttgart have failed to score since returning from the break, following up a 1-0 home loss to Borussia Monchengladbach with a goalless draw at Cologne on Wednesday.

With just 20 goals, they are the league's fourth-lowest scorers, but Austrian Martin Harnik has enjoyed a decent season with five goals. Timo Werner, aged just 18, has also shown promise with three strikes.

But it pales into insignificance when compared with Bayern, who have hit 43 this term.

Winger Robben has 11, while Gotze, Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller have bagged seven goals each.

And it is Bayern's even spread of contributors that makes them so tough to stop - as Stuttgart may well find out.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Review: Dortmund off the bottom with win

7 February 2015

785413header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund enjoyed a positive end to a difficult week with a 3-0 win at Freiburg in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

Following a damaging defeat in midweek, Borussia Dortmund responded in fine fashion on Saturday as they climbed off the bottom of the Bundesliga table with a 3-0 success at Freiburg.

After Wednesday's 1-0 reverse at home to Augsburg, Mats Hummels and Roman Weidenfeller spoke to angry supporters, who were expressing their ire at having seen their team drop to the foot of the table.

But the 3-0 triumph at Freiburg will have calmed fears slightly as Jurgen Klopp's men ascended to 16th.

Marco Reus put the visitors ahead in the ninth minute before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang netted twice in the second half to seal all three points as Dortmund climbed above their opponents.

At the opposite end of the table, the top two of Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg both enjoyed victory.

Bayern, who had taken one point from their two matches since the mid-season break, were grateful to goals from Arjen Robben and David Alaba for their 2-0 win at Stuttgart.

For Wolfsburg, record signing Andre Schurrle had an immediate impact by setting up the opening two goals for Bas Dost and Kevin De Bruyne in the first half, with the latter adding a second with six minutes remaining to secure a comfortable 3-0 win.

Pal Dardai's interim reign at Hertha Berlin got off to a good start as the capital club won 2-0 at Mainz, in a game which saw both sides finish with 10 men.

Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius was sent off just after the half-hour for bringing down Valentin Stocker inside the box, and Jens Hegeler converted the resulting penalty.

Roy Beerens added a second three minutes before the interval, and Hertha - who sacked Jos Luhukay in midweek - were able to hold on despite seeing Fabian Lustenberger dismissed just before the hour-mark.

Hannover shot themselves in the foot somewhat during their 2-1 defeat at Hamburg.

Joselu missed a penalty for the visitors midway through the first half, and then Marcelo put through his own net to give Hamburg the lead.

Marcell Jansen doubled Hamburg's advantage, while Artur Sobiech's strike proved nothing more than a consolation for Hannover.

Elsewhere, Cologne's meeting with Paderborn ended goalless.

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Freiburg 0 Borussia Dortmund 3: Aubameyang on song in comfortable Dortmund win

7 February 2015

785193header.jpg

A superb performance from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang saw Borussia Dortmund win 3-0 at Freiburg to move off the foot of the Bundesliga table.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored two goals and set up another as Borussia Dortmund earned a vital 3-0 win over fellow strugglers Freiburg at the Mage Solar Stadion on Saturday to move off the foot of the Bundesliga table.

A dominant start from Dortmund was rewarded on nine minutes, Marco Reus tapping into an empty net after Aubameyang had rounded the goalkeeper, before the Gabon international slotted home himself just after half-time.

The ever-threatening Aubameyang popped up again 18 minutes from time to finish off a superb team move on a comfortable afternoon for the visitors.

Victory eases the pressure on coach Jurgen Klopp, who earlier in the week dismissed talk of stepping down following a rotten run that had left the 2013 UEFA Champions League finalists propping up the division.

A first win in six Bundesliga games sees Dortmund leapfrog Freiburg into 16th, adding to the relegation worries of Christian Streich's men, who are now level on points with bottom-of-the table Stuttgart.

Few would have expected Freiburg to have a two-point lead over Klopp's men heading into the game, but there was little sign of the hosts adding to the woes of their opponents as Dortmund made much of the early pressing.

First Reus fired over inside two minutes, before Roman Burki was forced to parry away Shinji Kagawa's stinging shot four minutes later.

The hosts soon buckled under the pressure, contributing to their own downfall on nine minutes.

A poor back pass from Mike Frantz was seized upon by Aubameyang, who rounded the keeper to tee up Reus for a simple finish.

The lead allowed Dortmund, who made three changes from Wednesday's defeat to Augsburg, to take their foot off the gas as the half wore on, but they remained dominant.

Ilkay Gundogan curled a speculative effort just wide on 25 minutes, while only a poor connection prevented Kagawa from doubling the lead seven minutes later after some good work from the lively Aubameyang.

At the other end, Frantz fired wide after being set up by Mats Moller Daehli inside the area six minutes before the break, while visiting goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller had to be alert to keep out Oliver Sorg's 25-yard half-volley.

Reus and Aubameyang continued to link up well after the interval, the former dinking a volleyed cross from the left to set up his team-mate, who fired wide from a central position.

Aubameyang was able to find the net after 56 minutes when he latched on to a sublime throughball from Gundogan to get behind the defence and slot home.

Dortmund refused to rest, with Burki on hand to palm away Reus' angled effort 10 minutes later, and the visitors added a third on 72 minutes.

A wonderful team move involving Reus, substitute Jakub Blaszczykowski and Kagawa allowed Aubameyang to pick his spot and make sure of a first win in 2015.

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stuttgart 0 Bayern Munich 2: Robben strikes again as champions ease to victory

7 February 2015

785192header.jpg

Bayern Munich claimed their first competitive win of 2015 at Stuttgart, with Arjen Robben and David Alaba on target in a 2-0 victory.

Arjen Robben's rich vein of form continued as Bayern Munich beat beleaguered Stuttgart 2-0 in the Bundesliga on Saturday to secure their first competitive victory of the year.

Bayern coach Pep Guardiola dismissed talk of a crisis after the champions drew 1-1 against Schalke on Tuesday following a 4-1 hammering at Wolfsburg, and normal service was resumed by the Bavarian giants at the Mercedes Benz Arena.

The leaders were not at their best against Huub Stevens' strugglers, but Robben took his goal tally to eight goals in his last nine games and 14 for the season with a fine strike to open the scoring late in the first half.

Defender David Alaba then opened his Bundesliga account for the season with a sublime free-kick six minutes after the break to ensure Bayern remain eight points clear of second-placed Wolfsburg, who beat Hoffenheim 3-0.

While Bayern remain on course for yet another title, Stuttgart are now bottom of the table and have secured only five points at home this season.

Stuttgart have now lost their last 13 games against Bayern and have failed to score in their last four matches against any opponent, as they brace themselves for a battle to avoid the drop.

There were two changes to the Stuttgart side that held Cologne to a goalless draw in midweek, with Gotoku Sakai and Vedad Ibisevic coming in for Sercan Sararer and Martin Harnik.

Dante replaced the suspended Jerome Boateng at the heart of the Bayern defence, while Robert Lewandowski returned to the starting line-up as Thomas Muller dropped to the bench.

Bayern enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening stages, but Stuttgart pressed the champions and would not allow them to settle.

Stuttgart did not initially resemble a team facing a relegation battle and they went close to an opening goal when Sakai's measured strike clipped the outside of the far post following a swift counter-attack 27 minutes in.

It was Bayern who were in front four minutes before the break, though, courtesy of a stunning strike from the in-form Robben.

Stuttgart had done a good job of keeping the Netherlands winger quiet until he burst ahead of Sakai to get on the end of Mitchell Weiser's pass before unleashing an unstoppable left-footed first-time strike that flashed past Sven Ulreich and found the far corner.

Muller replaced Weiser at half-time, while Stuttgart coach Stevens introduced Harnik and brought off Daniel Schwaab.

Stuttgart were unfortunate to be behind but things soon went from bad to worse for the home side when Alaba produced a moment of magic to double Bayern's lead six minutes into the second half.

The Austria left-back opened his Bundesliga account for the season in style, letting fly with a free-kick from 25 yards that gave Ulreich no chance.

Lewandowski almost added a fourth goal eight minutes from time, but Ulreich spread himself to deny the Poland striker as Bayern finished with a flourish in a comfortable victory.