• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o to move to MLS next season, English Premier League 2013-14

Tuesday 10 Dec 2013 12:00p.m.

etoo-1200.jpg

Samuel Eto'o (Reuters)

Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o is set to become the latest high profile signing in the MLS.

The veteran Cameroon forward will head to the MLS when his contract expires with Chelsea at the end of June next year.

It's expected Eto'o will open pre-contract talks next month with LA Galaxy and DC United emerging as the early frontrunners for his signature.

Eto'o had been heavily linked with the Ryan Nelsen-coached Toronto FC, but it's understood he would prefer a move to the US over Canada.

The former Barcelona and Inter Milan striker has fallen behind Fernando Torres and Demba Ba in the Chelsea pecking order, and with the club set to welcome back Romelu Lukaku from his loan spell at Everton next season.

He was signed after the club failed in its attempt to bring Wayne Rooney to club, and was always seen as a stop-gap signing.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has ruled out bringing in any new forwards in the January transfer window despite the poor form of Ba, Torres and Eto'o.

"At the end of the season we will be in better condition to analyse our squad, to analyse the market and, normally, make a couple of changes to improve the team for next season," said Mourinho, "but this season, we are ready to go to the end with the same people."

The club is continuing to monitor Rooney's contract situation at Manchester United, while Monaco's Radamel Falcao is also being watched by the Blues.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former English Premier League striker DJ Campbell arrested in match fixing probe

Tuesday 10 Dec 2013 6:27a.m.

DJCampbellBlackburn_large.jpg

Blackburn says striker D.J. Campbell is one of the six people arrested in English soccer's latest match-fixing investigation.

The arrests came after an investigation by The Sun on Sunday newspaper.

While Blackburn confirmed Campbell's arrest on its website, the club said it was prevented was commenting further because it is an ongoing legal matter. Blackburn plays in the second-tier League Championship, one step below the Premier League.

The 32-year-old Campbell has previously played in the Premier League for Birmingham, Blackpool and Queens Park Rangers.

Another investigation last month, by the Daily Telegraph, led to two players from the sixth tier being charged with conspiring to fix matches.

AP

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney rejects new Manchester United contract talks

347215_heroa.jpg

Dec 11, 2013 7:25:00 AM

The 28-year-old continues to evade the Red Devils' attempts to discuss a new deal as he eyes a move away from Old Trafford, with his current terms due to expire in 2015

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Wayne Rooney has rejected Manchester United's latest attempts to open talks over a new contract.

The striker and his representatives are refusing to even discuss an extension, with the England international's existing terms set to expire at the end of next season.

Goal revealed in October that Rooney had rejected United's first approach to discuss a contract renewal as he continues to explore the possibility of leaving the club.

The 28-year-old and his camp have declined further offers from the club in recent weeks to start negotiating, with United willl to give him a four-year deal.

Rooney has begun the season in outstanding form, scoring eight goals in 13 Premier League appearances for the side during a difficult start for new boss David Moyes that has left the reigning champions ninth in the table.

Publicly, Moyes insisted last week that a new deal for the England international "will be done in good course" but Rooney is understood to remain keen to seek a fresh challenge at another Champions League club.

"Wayne is resisting any and all attempts from the club to talk about his contract situation," a source told Goal.

"He knows, more than anything, that with his contract running down and in the form that he is in, he holds all the aces."

Rooney and his agent, Paul Stretford, are well aware that they are in a strong position to engineer a transfer in the summer, when the player will have just one year remaining on his contract.

Indeed, sources close to the situation have told Goal that Rooney is increasingly aware of the renewed interest in him from leading clubs both abroad and domestically.

Chelsea made two bids for Rooney in the summer after being told that the former Everton man wanted to move to Stamford Bridge and there was also strong interest from Arsenal up until the final week of the window.

United refused to sell Rooney to Chelsea, a club whom they regard as a principal title rival but the league champions could be backed into a corner if the forward pushes hard for a transfer either in January or next summer while refusing to extend his weekly salaray of £250,000 (€300,000).

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ozil reminds me of Pires, says Arsenal legend Henry

347178_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers23
Dec 12, 2013 8:09:00 AM

The former Gunners ace says that he "would have loved to have played with" the German, who has settled in quickly at the Emirates Stadium after arriving from Real Madrid

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry is thrilled with Mesut Ozil's impact on the club and equates him to his former team-mate, Robert Pires.

Since the Germany international's deadline-day move from Real Madrid, the Gunners have gone from strength to strength and sit top of the Premier League thanks in no small part to his four goals and seven assists.

Henry, who scored 228 goals for the north Londoners, believes that Ozil has added even more class to Arsenal's midfield.

"I would have loved to have played with him. He reminds me of Robert Pires," the New York Red Bulls forward told Sky Sports ahead of Wednesday's Champions League defeat by Napoli.

"He will share the ball. He can find a guy who is quick; a target striker. He can play any type of ball.

"He has the thing you want from a midfielder: he always has time. It seems like he is playing on his own in his garden.

"He brought that composure on the ball that you need. I think he brought that to Arsenal, him coming with his name. You have got to back it up [and] he did back it up."

Asked what had impressed him the most about Arsenal’s displays this season, Henry replied: "Just the belief that they have again, knowing that they can beat any team at any moment.

"I think, if you remember well, the game against Bayern Munich [last season], away from home, did a lot for them.

"Knowing that they can beat the champions – [though] they didn't know it at the time – away from home, and well, did a lot for the team. Since that game, everything changed, for me."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

As Pardew prepares to face old club Southampton, Magpies boss admits he 'still feels vulnerable' at Newcastle

By DAMIAN SPELLMAN, PRESS ASSOCIATION PUBLISHED: 18:11 GMT, 12 December 2013 | UPDATED: 18:16 GMT, 12 December 2013

Alan Pardew will welcome former club Southampton to Newcastle on Saturday reflecting on the vulnerability of football managers. The 52-year-old lost his job after 13 months at the South Coast club in August 2010 just days after he had guided them to a 4-0 League One win at Bristol Rovers. A little more than three months later, he was back in work after Magpies owner Mike Ashley handed him his big chance, and although it has been eventful both on and off the pitch since, Pardew celebrated three years at the helm earlier this week.

article-2522649-19EF442500000578-867_634x390.jpg

Stint: Alan Pardew (above) is the second longest serving manager in the Premier League

He still believes his departure from Southampton was unjust, but accepts the experience was all part of the vagaries of his chosen career. Pardew said: 'I always felt that it wasn't so much a footballing decision because I don't think anybody could argue - and certainly the fans there were brilliant for me and the players were all with me, so I had no issues with that, really. 'It was a decision that was made above me and there was nothing I could do about it.

'But I never lost my confidence over that. That's managerial careers, we are very vulnerable. 'I have been here three years. I have been vulnerable from day one and I am still vulnerable today.'
Pardew certainly has been vulnerable, no more so than as last season drew to a close in most unsatisfactory fashion with the club fighting for Barclays Premier League survival 12 months after finishing in fifth place.

But a run of five league wins in six, the last of them ending a 41-year wait for a win at Manchester United, has seen his stock rise sharply once again.

article-2522649-0AF8DC66000005DC-343_634x405.jpg

Popular: Pardew led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley

The victory at Old Trafford came just three days after a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Swansea, and those two games represent in microcosm Newcastle's existence, shifting quickly from disaster to triumph and back again with little else in between. Pardew said with a smile: 'I have tried to be consistent with my message to the players, and sometimes it's difficult to do that when you have had a really tough day. 'We have had a lot tougher days than Swansea here and you have to endure those, but it always makes up for it when you get fantastic results.

'If someone had said to me, 'You will be Newcastle manager and you will beat Manchester United 3-0 at home and you will win at Old Trafford 1-0 and deserve to win', I would have taken that and lost all the others, probably. 'Joking aside, it's something you have to get used to because it's a big city and it's a city that lives and breathes the game, so therefore it is all around you and you have to get used to that.'

article-2522649-19EF1AC100000578-266_634x482.jpg

Form team: Yohan Cabaye scored during Newcastle's 1-0 over Manchester United

A fourth successive home win would cement the Magpies' place in the upper reaches of the league table, although Pardew admits it would be that little bit more special for him to get the better of the Saints. However, he will be equally pleased to see some of the men who worked under him during his brief reign, and who have gone on to bigger things since. He said: 'I felt it was an injustice to lose my job there, but I'm not the first manager to say that.

'But I am certainly looking forward to seeing some of my old players, who have done absolutely brilliantly - [Jose] Fonte, [Rickie] Lambert, [Adam] Lallana, [Morgan] Schneiderlin were all there in the first division with me and I loved working with them. 'I am looking forward to seeing them. I am over the moon that they have got international recognition, Lambert and Lallana. 'That side of it, I look forward to seeing - but certainly on a personal level, it's a game I really want to win.'

article-2522649-19FFFE7500000578-361_634x381.jpg

Top boy: Adam Lallana (above) blossomed under Pardew during their time together at Southampton

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Berba free to leave Fulham... Meulensteen admits he would not stand in any player's way who wanted to quit the Cottage

By LAURIE WHITWELL PUBLISHED: 14:18 GMT, 12 December 2013 | UPDATED: 17:21 GMT, 12 December 2013

Rene Meulensteen believes Dimitar Berbatov will continue his improved form throughout the critical Christmas period - but admitted he will wait until January to gauge his commitment for the remainder of the season.

The Bulgarian striker, who the new Fulham boss enjoyed a good relationship with during their days together at Manchester United, will not be forced to stay at Craven Cottage beyond the winter window but will be asked for full commitment before then.

Berbatov was the subject of scorn from fans for lacklustre displays and his agent went public with his desire to leave Fulham soon after Martin Jol was given the sack.

article-0-19C33B8500000578-902_634x518.jpg

Free to go: Fulham coach Rene Meulensteen says he would not stand in any player's way, including Dimitar Berbatov, should they wish to quit Craven Cottage

article-0-19F5A5A200000578-385_634x493.jpg

Spot on: Berbatov netted a penalty during Fulham's 2-0 win over Aston Villa

But two fine performances since the manager change have underlined Berbatov's importance to the side. And Meulenateen said: 'I will not stand in anyone's way if they want to leave.

'With Dimitar I had a good chat when I took over and he has been as good as gold to me, looking at the performance he has put in against Tottenham and Aston Villa.

'With him we are going to really focus on the four upcoming games we have got, and from the performance levels that I have seen I am sure everyone will agree if Dimitar plays at that level he will be a very important player in the games to come.'

On a possible January departure, Meulensteen added: 'We will discuss when we get there.'

article-0-19F59FD400000578-225_634x483.jpg

All smiles: Meulensteen celebrated his first victory as Fulham boss on Sunday

Meulensteen, formerly Sir Alex Ferguson's first team coach at Manchester United, takes his side to Norwich and Hull over Christmas.

But the Dutch coach says he has not set a minimum points target for the festive fixtures.

‘It's a bit new to me,’ he said.

‘I've come from an environment where we were picking up three points week to week.

‘Target setting is important without getting too carried away with the calculations. I want the players focussing on the performance.

‘I would expect that we do well and pick up points that we can.’

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle legend Shearer set to shun dugout in favour of sofa as pundit admits management days are probably over

By CRAIG HOPE PUBLISHED: 14:40 GMT, 12 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:52 GMT, 12 December 2013

Alan Shearer appears to have called time of his management career in favour of the Match of the Day sofa. The former Newcastle United and England captain took charge of the Magpies for just the final eight matches of the 2008/09 campaign.

article-2522598-0C90212000000578-760_634x533.jpg

Down and out: Alan Shearer's final game in charge of Newcastle in 2009 saw them relegated from the Premier League after a 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa

His influence, however, could not save the club from relegation to the Championship and, despite a willingness to stay on as boss, he failed to agree terms with owner Mike Ashley and returned to his role as a pundit. And that is where the 43-year-old looks set to stay. ‘I love my job and know I’m lucky to have it. Could I see myself returning to management? Probably not,’ Shearer told BBC Newcastle. ‘First of all, I would say I am enjoying my media work as much as ever.

article-2522598-13BBEE96000005DC-744_634x409.jpg

Happy: Shearer says that he loves his job as a pundit on BBC's Match of the Day

‘But also, you have to remember I have been out of the game for over four years now. ‘The longer you’re out of the game, the more difficult it is to get back in and management is not something I’m looking to do.’

article-2522598-158CC012000005DC-330_634x413.jpg

Spot on: Shearer scored a penalty during the final game of his career at Sunderland in 2006

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes heads to Atletico to watch Koke, the Spain midfielder dubbed the 'new Xavi'

By ADAM CRAFTON PUBLISHED: 09:35 GMT, 12 December 2013 | UPDATED: 11:41 GMT, 12 December 2013

Manchester United manager David Moyes was present at the Vicente Calderon on Wednesday evening and it is understood that he was taking a closer look at Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke during the Spanish side’s 2-0 victory over FC Porto. Moyes is determined to add creativity and guile to United’s midfield in January and Koke, a vital part of the Atletico team that has emerged as a genuine threat to Barcelona and Real Madrid at the top of La Liga, has been identified as a leading target. Koke only signed a new five-year contract with Atletico in September but it is understood that the deal contains a buyout clause, which is speculated to be around £30million.

article-2522408-19BC6C7B00000578-219_634x382.jpg

Talented: Atletico Madrid's Koke is expected to become Xavi's long-term replacement for Spain

WHO IS KOKE?

Height: 5ft 8in (1.73m)

Weight: 11st 4lb (71.66kg)

Club appearances: 80 (38)

Goals scored: 10

Spain caps: 7

Koke, whose full name is Jorge Resurrecion Merodio, had been on Sir Alex Ferguson’s radar last season and Moyes is now ready to make his move for the 21-year-old. However, United may have a difficult time persuading Koke to uproot to Old Trafford in January, with Atletico currently second in La Liga and level on points with Barcelona, while Moyes’ side are 13 points behind Premier League leaders Arsenal and languishing in mid-table.

Atletico have also made smooth progress to the knockout stages of the Champions League, winning 16 of the 18 points available in the group phase - a tally only matched by Real Madrid. Equally, Atletico boss Diego Simeone will be reluctant to part with a player who has emerged through the youth system in the Spanish capital and become one of the club’s most influential players.

article-2522408-1A030C2400000578-9_634x520.jpg

Reinforcements: David Moyes is struggling at Manchester United, largely because of his weak midfield

article-2522408-1A0A5E9000000578-7_634x414.jpg

Promising midfielder: Koke is also being monitored by Liverpool and Italian giants AC Milan

article-2522408-1A0A7B9700000578-828_306x450.jpg
article-2522408-19EA329800000578-384_306x450.jpg

Club and country: Koke's form under Diego Simeone (left) could lead to recognition by Vicente del Bosque

When Koke was asked about Moyes’ presence in Spain on Wednesday evening, the Spanish international said: ‘I don’t know anything about it. I am very happy here [at Atletico]. I renewed my contract only this summer and I am very happy. This is my home and there is no better place to be.’

Koke, who is being monitored by Liverpool and AC Milan, has also forced his way into the thinking of Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque and it is expected that the midfielder will be on the plane to Brazil for the World Cup next summer.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: Schedule does not give Manchester City an advantage over Arsenal

350342_heroa.jpg

Dec 13, 2013 5:30:00 PM

The Gunners have barely two full days of rest ahead of Saturday's clash following their trip to Naples, but the Chilean boss does not believes the fixture favours his side

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists his side do not have a physical advantage over Arsenal ahead of Saturday's showdown.

The fixture between the two title rivals is the Premier League's early kick-off on Saturday, and comes just three days after Arsenal's 2-0 defeat at Napoli in the Champions League - with the scheduling slammed by Mikel Arteta.

By contrast, City claimed an excellent 3-2 win at Bayern Munich on Tuesday, largely with a second-string side, meaning they have had 24 hours more in which to prepare.

But Pellegrini does not believe that will have any impact on the outcome of the game, and urged his side to cut the six-point gap to the leaders in half.

"For Arsenal and our team, this is a very important game," he said. "They played one day after we did in the Champions League.

"Maybe our match was not exactly the same but I don't think that will be an advantage or those things will decide the game. I think the way both teams will play will be more important.

"We need to be at least three points near the top. All the teams, especially if we win, will be near us. There are six or seven teams fighting for the title.

"This is our opportunity to take three important points against the best team in the Premier League at the moment."

The Chilean also refused to rule Manchester United out of the running for the league crown, despite David Moyes' men falling 13 points adrift of Arsenal after back-to-back 1-0 home defeats to Everton and Newcastle United.

He added: "They have good players and [a good] manager. They have the second half of the Premier League to play and a strong team like them will always have chances."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie out for a month with thigh strain

348016_heroa.jpg

Dec 13, 2013 2:00:00 PM

David Moyes has confirmed the Netherlands international will be sidelined until the New Year after picking up an injury in the process of taking a corner against Shakhtar Donetsk

Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed Robin van Persie will be sidelined for a month with a thigh strain.

The Netherlands international missed four matches with a groin problem before making his return to action in the 1-0 loss to Newcastle United, playing the full 90 minutes.

Van Persie also featured on Tuesday night against Shakhtar Donetsk, coming off the bench to assist Phil Jones' winner, and it was in the process of taking that corner that he sustained the injury.

"Robin has picked up a thigh strain and will be out for a month," Moyes told reporters. "He took the corner we scored the goal from against Shakhtar and felt his thigh.

"So we're going to lose Robin, it looks like, for a month, with a thigh strain."

The injury means last season's Premier League top scorer will miss the busy Christmas period, though United do not face a top-10 side until Tottenham visit Old Trafford on January 1.

Moyes will have to make do without the Dutch forward for Sunday's trip to Aston Villa, where he hopes to get back to winning ways and end the club's four-game winless run.

"We want to play well," the Scot added. "We've not done as well in the league as we should have. We want to put it right.

"We've got a lot of games coming up and can pick up points. But we need to do it, not talk about it."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL preview: 5 things to watch this week

Friday 13 Dec 2013 9:56a.m.

Arsene_wenger-1200.jpg

Is there a lack of leadership at Arsenal? (AAP file)

By Samuel Petrequin

Premier League leader Arsenal has been dismissed by many critics as a credible title challenger despite its impressive start.

The time has come for the Gunners to underline their credentials as they travel to fourth-place Manchester City - which has yet to lose a point at home this season - before hosting Chelsea.

Chasing it first Premier League title since 2004, Arsene Wenger's team leads the standings by five points ahead of Liverpool, which travels to Tottenham on Sunday.

Defending champion Manchester United cannot afford another slip-up at Aston Villa following two consecutive losses that have left the club trailing 13 points behind in the title race.

Here are five things to know about this weekend's matches in the Premier League:

LACK OF LEADERSHIP?

Arsenal's resurgence this season has left Patrick Vieira in awe, though the former Gunner feels Arsene Wenger's team might eventually pay for its lack of a real leader in the dressing room.

Vieira, who won the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European Championship with France and marshalled the Arsenal midfield for years, raised doubts about the London club's capacity to react when they will play with less flamboyance.

"When you look at Arsenal, they play fantastic football. But sometimes you need to win games playing badly, and I don't think Arsenal are capable of that at the moment," said Vieira, who now works as a football development executive at Manchester City. "Maybe there is a lack of leadership. They don't have a Tony Adams, Martin Keown or Sol Campbell. These are players who can be leaders on or off the field."

SERIAL DIVER

Manchester United winger Ashley Young remains unrepentant despite the diving accusations that have turned him into the scapegoat for the Red Devils' current struggles.

Young, who was criticized by both Alex Ferguson and successor David Moyes for his frequent dives in the penalty area, does not look ready to make amends for his bad habit.

Young says it's down to the referees to do their job and decide whether he is cheating and deserves a booking when he tumbles, or be rewarded with a penalty.

"It's been talked about by the previous manager and the current manager, but that's in-house," said Young, who has been playing poorly this season and could miss next year's World Cup. "I'm not going to comment on what's been said. I understand what you're saying and everyone is going to have their say on it, but the referees are giving decisions and that is where I think it lies."

GERRARD OUT

After losing Daniel Sturridge for up to two months through injury, Liverpool was handed another blow in its titles ambitions with captain Steven Gerrard out for at least a month with a hamstring injury he picked up in the 4-1 win over West Ham on Saturday.

The injury crisis comes at the worst time for the Reds manager Brendan Rogers as second-place Liverpool travels to Tottenham on Sunday before hosting Cardiff, then faces difficult trips to Manchester City and Chelsea before the end of the year.

Gerrard has scored three goals and provided six assists this season.

"Steven is such an important player for us, but we have other players and dynamics in the team and they have to step up," Rodgers said. "Lucas has been excellent for us and he has forced his way into the Brazil side, so he has that quality and experience to step up and take the responsibility."

STILL ROARING

Opposed to a name change for their club, Hull fans have accused club owner Assem Allam of acting on his own without any form of consultation. The club has applied to the Football Association to change its name from Hull City to Hull Tigers from next season.

But the City Till We Die fans group, which assembles supporters opposed to Allam's plans, said they received the guarantee from the owner that any name change would not occur for two to three years and that any modification could not be decided "without supporter consultation, or without the benefits being proven by research. No such research or consultation has taken place."

The group has supplied the FA with a dossier on Allam's proposals and met with representatives of the Premier League to voice concerns.

Earlier this month, Allam infuriated the fans, telling them "they can die as soon as they want, as long as they leave the club for the majority who just want to watch good football."

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Arsenal's revival owes much to Laurent Koscielny, who has been remarkably consistent in the heart of the Gunners defense this season.

But the Frenchman has warned that the Gunners need to play better if they are to secure a good result against Manchester City on the back of their 2-0 loss at Napoli. Arsenal will also play Chelsea before Christmas.

"We need to play much better to win at Man City," Koscielny said. "It's two hard games that await us so it will be difficult because they are two of the best teams and we need some points. We are on top of the table so we need to keep this (lead) and December is a very important month in the Premier League."

AP

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League previews and live commentaries – every game

By Sport Magazine (@Sportmaguk) | Thursday, December 12, 2013

175925729.jpg

Premier League: Manchester City v Arsenal
Saturday December 14, Etihad Stadium, 12.45pm

After four clean sheets (including their Champions League win over Marseille), Arsenal finally conceded last weekend – the Barcelona-owned Gerard Deulofeu netting a scorcher in Everton's 1-1 draw at the Emirates.

This weekend, Gunners goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny could come up against another special Spaniard in Manchester City's David Silva – set to return to Premier League action after more than a month on the sidelines with a calf injury. Not that Manuel Pellegrini's side have much missed him much (on home turf, at least). They've scored 16 goals in their past three league games at the Etihad, including a 6-0 thrashing of Tottenham that will have given Arsene Wenger plenty to think about.

Arsenal have won once in their past five Premier League visits to the blue half of Manchester, Nicklas Bendtner scoring the last of Arsenal's three goals in that game. The Dane found himself on the scoresheet for the first time since April 2012 (when he netted for Sunderland in a 2-2 draw with Bolton) against Hull last week – not that Pellegrini is likely to be too concerned by the ponytailed pulveriser. He might, however, have noticed Arsenal's away form is as good as their home form this term.

The Gunners snatched a draw on their last visit to the Etihad, thanks to a late Laurent Koscielny strike that cancelled out Joleon Lescott's first-half goal. The same result would be enough to keep City at bay, for now.

Cardiff v West Brom
Saturday December 14, Cardiff City Stadium, 3pm

Neither side has a single win in their past five matches, both managing just two draws and three defeats. The Baggies are at least still scoring, though. Malky Mackay's side haven't notched in their past three games, and have scored just 11 in 15 league games so far. After spending – £10m on Peter Odemwingie and Andreas Cornelius (yet to start in the league because of injury), Mackay needs to start seeing some return.

Chelsea v Crystal Palace
Saturday December 14, Stamford Bridge, 3pm

Stoke's late winner might have caused a headache or two for Jose Mourinho, but Chelsea remain unbeaten at home this season, have picked up 10 points from 15 in recent weeks, and are the league's joint-third highest scorers. Speaking of scorers, Tony Pulis' front two have fired in three in their past two games. A reinvigorated Crystal Palace have conceded just once in five, too, but their resolve will be tested by the boys in blue.

Everton v Fulham
Saturday December 14, Goodison Park, 3pm

Rene Meulensteen has his first Fulham win, but a second is unlikely to come on Saturday. Everton boast the longest unbeaten run in the league (eight games), have the latest 'bolter for Brazil' in Ross Barkley and are living the loanee-led life of Riley. Of Everton's 23 goals this season, 11 have been scored by Toffee temps, but Roberto Martinez won't care (not yet, anyway). Stopping them might worry his opposite number, though.

Newcastle v Southampton
Saturday December 14, St James' Park, 3pm

Newcastle have 15 points from their past six games; Southampton have one from their past four. Differing form books at St James', then, and the fact the Magpies have won the past six home meetings between the duo won't help Mauricio Pochettino. That Dani Osvaldo and Jay Rodriguez have stepped up to take the pressure off Rickie Lambert comes as some relief, but with Tottenham and Everton to come over Christmas, Saints need points.

West Ham v Sunderland
Saturday December 14, Upton Park, 3pm

With a five-point gap between them and safety, Sunderland can't afford to keep losing games, and two points on their travels this season doesn't bode well ahead of a trip to east London. On the plus side for Gus Poyet, West Ham have the worst home form in the league, only winning once at Upton Park since the opening day. Brief moments of brilliance from Ravel Morrison aside, the Hammers lack a goal threat without Andy Carroll.

Hull v Stoke
Saturday December 14, KC Stadium, 5.30pm

Home form is said to be crucial to surviving relegation, and Steve Bruce has proved he has the formula – 14 of Hull's 18 points have come at the KC. The previous meeting there between these sides – in November 2009 – saw Hull's Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink score a 90th-minute winner. Stoke scored a late one of their own against Chelsea courtesy of Oussama Assaidi last weekend, giving the Potters a timely pre-Christmas confidence boost.

Aston Villa v Manchester United
Sunday December 15, Villa Park, 1.30pm

It should come as a relief to David Moyes that Aston Villa's league home record against Manchester United is atrocious – 1995 was the last time Villa beat the Red Devils in Birmingham (the famous 'you'll win nothing with kids' game). United have seen two similar records come to an end recently, however, with Everton and Newcastle winning at Old Trafford for the first time in years. With no wins in four in the league and two draws from two on the road, the task for Moyes grows by the day.

Norwich v Swansea
Sunday December 15, Carrow Road, 1.30pm

Nine different scorelines in their last nine games means the Canaries are difficult to predict right now. They are unbeaten at home since the start of October, though, and have an in-form striker in Gary Hooper, who has bagged in all three of their recent wins. Swansea, meanwhile, have failed to win in their past four post-Europa Premier League games, so will be hoping to avoid another Euro hangover. With Jonjo Shelvey on the pitch, anything can happen.

Tottenham v Liverpool
Sunday December 15, White Hart Lane, 4pm

After all the summer signings and big spending, it's Jermain Defoe who has helped stop the rot at White Hart Lane, ploughing a lone furrow (yet still not scoring) in two straight 2-1 wins. A brace might not be enough for Tottenham here –Liverpool have fired in nine goals in the past 10 days, five of them from Luis Suarez. With the injured Steven Gerrard ruled out and upcoming trips to Manchester City and Chelsea, Liverpool need him on song here.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mike Phelan heads West Brom shortlist after Steve Clarke's sacking

Michael Appleton, Paul Clement, Martin Jol and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer also in frame for The Hawthorns job

Stuart James
The Guardian, Sunday 15 December 2013 22.30 GMT

Steve-Clarke-009.jpg

Steve Clarke, West Brom's departing head coach, heard the news after his team's 1-0 loss to Cardiff over the weekend. Photograph: Ian Walton/Getty Images

West Bromwich Albion are drawing up a shortlist of candidates to replace Steve Clarke as head coach with Mike Phelan, the former Manchester United assistant manager, among the names on it.

Clarke is on gardening leave until the end of the season following Saturday's loss at Cardiff, their fourth successive defeat. Jeremy Peace, the chairman, and Richard Garlick, the sporting and technical director, told Clarke he had lost his job when he returned to the club's training ground after the return from Cardiff.

Albion are keen to make an appointment before the busy festive period and have made it clear that Clarke's replacement will have to work within the continental management structure, so coaching ability is vital.

Phelan, who lost his job at United when David Moyes took over as manager in the summer, would be available immediately. Michael Appleton, who Peace regarded highly when the 38-year-old was on the coaching staff at The Hawthorns, is also an option. Appleton has been out of work since his dismissal from Blackburn Rovers in March.

Paul Clement, the assistant coach at Real Madrid, would fit the profile that Albion are after but there are doubts about whether the Londoner, who has ambitions to manage one day, would leave Spain. Martin Jol has been linked with the post but it is possible that after being sacked by Fulham this month he would welcome a short break from the game. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has not signed an extension to his contract with Molde, which runs out in the summer, but it would be no easy task convincing the former Manchester United striker to leave Norway.

In a separate development, Albion will be taking disciplinary action against Saido Berahino after he tweeted "that's fucking shit" after Clarke was dismissed. The England Under-21 forward later deleted the comment and claimed he was responding to a personal issue.

Clarke has issued a statement through the League Managers Association, saying that he believes he has "unfinished business" at Albion and that he is "convinced" he would have secured the club's Premier League status for another season.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas sacked by Tottenham

351153_heroa.jpg

Dec 16, 2013 11:05:00 AM

The Portuguese boss has been relieved of his duties following Sunday's humiliation at the hands of Liverpool at White Hart Lane left Spurs seventh in the Premier League

Tottenham have confirmed that manager Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked following Sunday’s 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool at White Hart Lane.

The defeat leaves Spurs in seventh place in the Premier League table, eight points behind leaders Arsenal and comes less than a month after they were thrashed 6-0 by Manchester City.

Goal reported last week that the relationship between Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy had deteriorated to the point where he was no longer expected to remain at White Hart Lane beyond this season.

But following Sunday's humiliation Levy, who looked less than impressed watching from the executive box, has decided to take immediate action.

"The club can announce that agreement has been reached with Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas, for the termination of his services," a statement read.

"The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties."

In a poll conducted by Goal on Sunday, 54.8 per cent of readers said Villas-Boas should be sacked following the defeat.

shayanjameel08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arsenal can do something similar up front and at the back in January then they will have a solid backbone of a side somewhat reminiscent of the old Arsenal in Arsene Wenger's earlier days when they had Sol Campbell, Patrick Vieira and Dennis Bergkamp propelling the team to Premier League victories.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Revealed: Clubs spend €1.2 billion on 10 transfers in 2013

350035_hp.jpg

Dec 17, 2013 9:00:00 AM

The top deals are recorded in the Goal Transfer List, a new study of the global market, which is headed by Gareth Bale at a cost of almost €200m to Real Madrid

EXCLUSIVE
by Kris Voakes

The biggest 10 transfers of 2013 cost the clubs involved a staggering €1.2 billion, according to new research conducted by Goal.

The Goal Transfer List was compiled to highlight the maximum potential payout for clubs relating to each major transfer over the last 12 months and the results show that spending on elite players has never been higher.

In a year in which the world record transfer fee was broken by Gareth Bale's move to Real Madrid, the total amount committed to salaries, taxes and additional costs saw six deals break the €100m barrier.

Bale's deal proved to be the most expensive of all, with Madrid set to pay out a total of €198.8m if the Welshman sees out his six-year contract in the Spanish capital.

The figures were derived from an amalgamation of all foreseeable costs over the course of each player's contract. Net salary figures were adjusted according to the current tax laws of the applicable country to reach a final gross payable amount.

Signing-on fees and agents' fees were then included following consultation with sources and experts in each market, as were additional charges such as administration costs. In all cases, where figures are not publicly available, reasonable estimates have been made.

For those transfers which were subject to conditional bonuses, whether payable to the selling club or to the player, those fees were also added in order to reach the maximum potential cost of each player to their new clubs.

The total costs show a continued growth in the spending habits of clubs at the higher end of the game, with the increased levels of cash coming into football being used to keep the transfer market moving forward at a rapid rate.

Graham Shaw, Editorial Director, said: "The Goal Transfer List is an indication of the continued growth in the popularity of football at the elite end of the game.

"Clubs know that signing top players is essential for them to compete for the huge rewards on offer for success in domestic and international competitions."

The full breakdown of costs for each transfer in the Goal Transfer List is available in our comprehensive slideshow, while there will be a series of features running on Goal relating to the study.

JAbKe4L.jpg

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<section class="post"> Fletcher eager to rejoin battle

1015682_10_preview.jpg

Darren Fletcher has won the most important battle of his life and now he is aiming to restore Manchester United to their long-held position as England's top club.

Suarez: Football helps me escape

1013381_10_preview.jpg

Luis Suarez credits a thick skin hardened on the streets and football pitches of Salto and Montevideo for his Liverpool redemption.

Sherwood takes on interim basis at Tottenham

863858_10_preview.jpg

Tim Sherwood is to take charge of Tottenham in an interim role after Spurs sacked Andre Villas-Boas as manager.

Tan won't back Mackay in January

1019684_10_preview.jpg

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay has been told "not a single penny" will be allocated to him for January transfer window signings.

Suarez: Next few weeks will decide our hopes

1019664_10_preview.jpg

Striker Luis Suarez believes results over the next three weeks will determine whether Liverpool can launch a Barclays Premier League title challenge.

Fletcher: There was no guarantee of return

1018129_10_preview.jpg

Darren Fletcher has revealed when he went for the last of his three operations, he did not even know whether he would be able to live normally again, let alone play football.

Toure: Liverpool can win the title and keep Suarez

1020620_10_preview.jpg

Liverpool can win the Premier League title and keep talisman Luis Suarez at Anfield for the long haul, according to Kolo Toure.

Sugar: AVB was always wrong for Spurs

981307_10_preview.jpg

Former Tottenham owner Lord Sugar believes that "it was the wrong move to appoint" Andre Villas-Boas after the latter's spell as Spurs manager came to an abrupt end.

Downing should oversee Hull game

1014487_10_preview.jpg

Keith Downing is expected to be in charge of the West Brom first team for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Hull.

Hooper enjoying Norwich strike partnership

1019089_10_preview.jpg

Norwich forward Gary Hooper is relishing his partnership with Johan Elmander which helped move the Canaries away from the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.

Januzaj: Moyes will win trophies

1015542_10_preview.jpg

Manchester United youngster Adnan Januzaj is convinced David Moyes will bring trophies to Old Trafford even after a string of bad results in the Barclays Premier League.

Lambert looking for home comforts

1011819_10_preview.jpg

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert has urged his team to bounce back quickly from Sunday's 3-0 loss to Manchester United - and stressed the need for their home record to improve.

</section>

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sherwood takes on interim basis at Tottenham

Tim Sherwood is to take charge of Tottenham in an interim role after Spurs sacked Andre Villas-Boas as manager.

Tuesday 17th December 2013

_63204079_tim_sherwood_getty.jpg

Fabio Capello, Glenn Hoddle and Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino have emerged as contenders for the position in the longer term but Sherwood, who is already on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane, is set to be in charge for the Capital One Cup quarter-final at home against West Ham on Wednesday.

His interim role could be extended for a longer period depending on the club's search for a permanent successor.

In a short statement, Tottenham said: "The club can announce that Tim Sherwood, Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand will take charge of the first team whilst the club progresses discussions. Steffen Freund and Tony Parks continue as part of the coaching staff.

"Jose Mario Rocha, Luis Martins and Daniel Sousa leave the coaching staff and we wish them well for the future."

Villas-Boas' spell as Tottenham manager came to an abrupt end after the club announced the 36-year-old had been sacked, a day after Spurs' 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool.

That result, which followed a 6-0 drubbing by Manchester City last month, appears to have been the final straw for the Spurs chairman Daniel Levy who delivered the coup de grace in person at the club's training ground in Enfield.

Tottenham said in a statement: "The club can announce that agreement has been reached with head coach, Andre Villas-Boas, for the termination of his services.

"The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties."

Bookmakers have installed Capello as the early favourite. Although he is currently Russia's head coach and due to take them to the World Cup finals, Franco Baldini, his former assistant at England, is Spurs' technical director, and Capello was at White Hart Lane on Sunday commentating for Italian television.

Other names linked with the post include former Tottenham striker Jurgen Klinsmann, currently coach of the USA, and a possible return for Hoddle.

He was in charge at Spurs between 2001 and 2003 but has not been in club management since Wolves in 2006, but Gary Lineker was among those backing the former England boss.

Lineker said on Twitter: "Would love to see Glenn Hoddle given another chance at this level. Has a brilliant football mind."

There are also whispers that Southampton's Pochettino, who has been hugely impressive at St Mary's, has also attracted Levy's admiration though he is known to be fiercely loyal to Saints chairman Nicola Cortese.

Guus Hiddink's agent has ruled the Dutchman out of the running - he is taking over as Holland coach after the World Cup.

Swansea boss Michael Laudrup's agent has also insisted the Dane is committed to staying at his club until the end of the season.

Spurs are currently seventh in the table, two points ahead of Manchester United, and won their Europa League group with a 100 per cent record, scoring 15 goals and conceding just two in six games.

Villas-Boas also had a good record overall as Tottenham manager, averaging 1.83 points per league match, and a win ratio of more than 53 per cent, the highest of all Spurs bosses in the Premier League era.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes: Modern-day clubs too hasty to sack managers

351733_heroa.jpg

By Peter Thompson81
Dec 17, 2013 5:45:00 PM

Following Andre Villas-Boas' dismissal at Tottenham, the Manchester United manager - who has struggled since his summer appointment - feels stability is key to a successful side

Manchester United boss David Moyes is counting his blessings he has not been a victim of football's sacking culture so far in his career.

Andre Villas-Boas, who was also sacked by Chelsea in 2012, became the fifth Premier League manager to lose his job this season when Tottenham showed him the door on Monday following 17 months in charge.

Moyes spent four years at Preston North End then joined Everton in 2002, spending 11 years at Goodison Park before succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford - and the Scot feels clubs are to hasty in modern-day

"It makes me realise how lucky I have been at the clubs I have been at," Moyes told reporters.

"I worked for great people at Preston, great people at Everton and my short experience at Manchester United tells me I am working for really good people here.

"Maybe some of the other managers haven't been as fortunate as I have."

Moyes' position has been called into question during a disappointing start to his United career, but he points to his predecessor, Sir Alex, and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger as examples to prove loyalty can pay off.

"I am a great advocate of managers, I want managers to be given opportunities," he added. "I am involved with the LMA [League Managers' Association]. We are saying the best clubs have had stability.

"Look at Arsene Wenger, the stability he has given Arsenal. Sir Alex at United and even what happened to myself at Everton.

"Obviously the owners and chairman have their own reasons but the clubs who have given the managers that period of time have benefited.

"It is getting less and less to see that in football. The more we see it, it might help clubs gain a bit more control and stability. In turn it might mean they are not hiring and firing managers quite so often."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

José Mourinho may rethink Chelsea tactics after defeat at Sunderland

• Chelsea manager frustrated by frailties at the back
• More pragmatic style may be adopted to assure wins

John Wardle
The Guardian, Wednesday 18 December 2013

Jos--Mourinho-Chelsea-lac-002.jpg

José Mourinho is threatening a major tactical rethink at Chelsea following their Capital One Cup defeat at Sunderland.

It was a familiar story for Chelsea as they dominated for long periods but failed to translate possession into goals before losing 2-1 after extra time.

Mourinho is considering a more pragmatic approach, with an emphasis on defence which may not sit well with the owner Roman Abramovich's desire to witness attacking flair in his side.

Mourinho said: "We are going in one direction and the right direction but it is quite frustrating. Football is about getting results and it's quite frustrating as we may have to take a step back in order to be more consistent at the back.

"It's something I don't want to do, to play more counterattacking, but I'm giving it serious thought. If I want to win 1-0 I think I can as I think it is one of the easiest things in football. It is not so difficult, as you don't give players the chance to express themselves."

Chelsea were two minutes away from victory in normal time. They led through an own goal by Lee Cattermole and wasted further chances, with Samuel Eto'o the main culprit, before Fabio Borini equalised. Ki Sung-yueng scored Sunderland's winner in the 118th minute.

Mourinho said: "We had chances and chances and chances but not enough goals. Maybe the way to rectify it is not to concede as many goals. We lose goals and the opponents come alive. We scored against Sunderland and afterwards we had two or three more chances. If we had scored then, goodbye, but we kept the opponents alive.

"Once more the quality of football we produced was amazing. What we do when we have possession of the ball, the way we play, the way we create, the story repeats. It's the same story of Stoke, of Everton and every match we've lost.

"We've never lost a match because we didn't play or because the opponent was stronger than us. We lost every match because we produce, we don't kill opponents, we give them life and every opponent that plays against us knows they can score a goal and change the true result.

"We play sometimes very well and have fantastic chances and don't score. It's the same story that repeats."

He added: "We played very well, that's the only thing I can say. The way we build and create we are not behind that team people always like to compare [his Chelsea team of 2004-2008]; we are in front in terms of the quality of our game. But football is about results, scoring goals and at this moment you see every game we don't kill, we're in trouble and sometimes we lose matches."