• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am no monster, insists Magath

Felix Magath insists his Fulham players have learnt he is not a "monster" despite the fearsome reputation that accompanied him to Craven Cottage.

153526674.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

The Whites will climb out of the relegation zone if they win at Tottenham on Saturday, with Magath having masterminded successive victories over Aston Villa and Norwich.

Magath was viewed as a disciplinarian unafraid to push his players to the limit during his long career as a manager in Germany's Bundesliga, but he has also demonstrated a softer touch since arriving at Fulham two months ago.

As a reward for their 1-0 victory over Norwich on Sunday, the players were given two days off. Magath insists his players now understand he is a reasonable man.

"The players read a lot of stories before I came, and they are afraid: 'What happens now?'" the Fulham manager said.

"If the players work with us - not only me, but my athletic coach and my assistant coach - they realise that we are not monsters. Don't worry about it, it's not so bad!

"Maybe at the beginning they were afraid about what they had read."

Magath explained that one of the most pressing matters when he joined relegation-threatened Fulham on February 14 was to ease the sense of fear that had gripped Craven Cottage.

"You have to change the atmosphere to take out the fear," he said.

"We have done a lot of things, the whole club has done a lot of things to give them more confidence and give the players the feeling that all are behind them.

"That was the most work, that the whole club supports the players and gives them confidence.

"We invited some fans here to join training and afterwards we sat together for lunch with the fans, they talked together.

"We had a sports day for Sport Relief, with the players and the staff on the same teams."

Fulham are two points adrift of safety with four matches remaining and Magath has urged his squad to ensure survival for the club, not for him.

"I don't want the players to go for me, because I don't pay them. The club is paying them, not me," he said.

"So I tell them every time: you have to go for your club through a wall or spring from a bridge.

"Not for me, I don't want that so I don't ask for that."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No complaints from City owners, says Pellegrini

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has stressed he has heard no complaints from the club's owners about his performance.

Manchester%20City%27s%20United%20Arab%20Emirati%20owner%20Sheikh%20Mansour%20bin%20Zayed%20Al%20Nahyan%20%282nd%20R%29%20in%20the%20crowd%20before%20the%20English%20Premier%20League%20football%20match%20between%20Manchester%20City%20and%20Newcastle%20.jpg.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

Wednesday's 2-2 home draw with Sunderland dealt another blow to City's Barclays Premier League title challenge, just a few days after their 3-2 defeat at Liverpool.

They are third in the table with five more games to play, four points behind second-placed Chelsea and six behind leaders Liverpool, both of whom have four matches to go.

But, while the situation might look ominous to some for Pellegrini, reports have suggested City's owners are going to stick with him.

And asked about that on Friday, the 60-year-old Chilean - who has guided the club to the Capital One Cup and the knockout stages of the Champions League this season, his first in charge - said: "It is not a problem in this moment.

"I never heard anything in terms of a complaint.

"All of us want to win as much as we can but I haven't had any talks about that and I am not thinking about that."

With regard to City next season, there has also been talk of Blues striker Edin Dzeko - who several other clubs are reportedly interested in - being set for an offer of a new deal from the Etihad Stadium outfit, and that they could be getting ready to launch a world-record bid for Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

But when asked about preparations for the 2014/15 campaign, Pellegrini said: "Although, of course, we are always trying to prepare for next season, first we must finish this season.

"It is more important to have all our minds - the players and the manager, everyone here at the club - on trying to finish this season in the best way.

"It is not a surprise for me to me to hear all different rumours about players that come and go. It is the same thing the whole year.

"Remember all the goalkeepers that we were supposedly bringing here? All the goalkeepers in the world!"

Regarding the way the title race is shaping up, he added: "I am absolutely sure the other teams will also drop points - Liverpool and Chelsea (who still have to face each other at Anfield) - in the same way we did in the last games.

"We have 15 more points to play for and we will try to win the most amount of points.

"Then, at the end of the season, we will see who has the title."

Pellegrini was speaking at his press conference to preview Monday's home clash with West Brom, ahead of which he is still sweating on the fitness of David Silva.

Both playmaker Silva and winger Jesus Navas were absent from the City squad for the Sunderland fixture and Pellegrini expressed his hope after the game that the former's ankle problem would not prevent him from featuring on Monday.

On Friday, he reported there had been no change on that front, before confirming Navas had been out due to an ankle complaint of his own.

Pellegrini, who earlier this week ruled out midfielder Yaya Toure for up to a fortnight due to his leg injury, said: ''We continue with the same situation with Yaya Toure, David Silva and Jesus Navas.

''The three of them are injured for the moment.

''Yaya is improving but it is a muscle injury, so it is difficult for him (to return) so soon.''

Defender Matija Nastasic, who has not played since February because of a knee injury, remains unavailable.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet backs Mannone to get back on his feet

Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet is confident Vito Mannone has the mental strength to bounce back from his costly midweek howler at Chelsea.

Mannone.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

The 26-year-old Italian keeper allowed Samir Nasri's tame shot to squirm from his grasp and over the line as Manchester City snatched a 2-2 draw with the Black Cats at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Until that point, it looked as if Connor Wickham's double would hand the visitors an unlikely and invaluable victory which could have proved hugely significant in their fight for Barclays Premier League survival.

But although he was devastated on the final whistle, Mannone will be between the posts again at Stamford Bridge on Saturday evening, and Poyet will have no qualms about retaining his services.

The 46-year-old Uruguayan said: "That's why when you have a son, the first thing you say is, 'Don't play in goal. Any position but in goal'.

"It doesn't matter how well you play for 89 minutes, it doesn't matter how many saves or crosses you catch, if you make one mistake, it is going to cost you a goal.

"It's the worst position to be part of. But the goalkeepers know that and the have to live with that and they have cope with that.

"I think Vito wants just to play again as soon as soon as possible. I have got no doubts he is going to play tomorrow, it's not a problem for me."

The Black Cats headed south still six points adrift of safety and ruing the two which slipped from their grasp in midweek.

However, they did so having restored a measure of pride and confidence with their performance against a City side who never really got to grips with them.

Poyet knows life will be no less difficult at Stamford Bridge, but he is looking for a performance of similar character to keep alive their survival hopes.

He said: "The idea is to play and believe in what you do and stay in the game, don't give up, don't throw the game away in 20 minutes because not a long time ago, Arsenal after 20 minutes were down to 10 and 3-0 down at Stamford Bridge, and that's a difficult one to take because then you don't have too many options to change.

"The idea is to start strongly to make it difficult, but at the same time to put them under pressure, Chelsea, and to use your strength until you are good enough to do it."

Poyet, of course, spent four years at Chelsea as a player, but will not allow old friendships to deflect him on his return.

He said: "Before the game and after the game is going to be great because I have got so many friends, even in the tunnel.

"The idea is just to make sure during the game, I just concentrate on us and don't look for anything apart from trying to get something from the game."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lambert ready for huge step-up

Southampton will face "one of the biggest challenges in football" to break into the Barclays Premier League top six next season, according to striker Rickie Lambert.

Rickie%20Lambert%20and%20Luke%20Shaw%20%28L%29%20of%20Southampton%20tackle%20Jordan%20Henderson%20of%20Liverpool%20.jpg.jpg

Saturday 19th April 2014

Target man Lambert said he approached Saints' second season back in the top flight determined to make a mockery of the struggle to infiltrate the Premier League elite.

As the south coast club close in on an eighth-place finish to trump last term's 14th, Lambert conceded commanding a seat at England's top table has proved far harder than he ever realised.

"I can remember [Michael] Laudrup saying before the season that anything above top eight is unachievable for teams like Swansea and Southampton," said Lambert, preparing for Saturday's league trip to Aston Villa.

"At the time I was a little bit like 'No, we'll prove them wrong,' but I can understand now why he said it.

"It's just the squad sizes, the depth, it's completely different and it's not unmanageable, you can do it, but I think we understand what we need to do to get there and, hopefully, we can take that step, but it's going to be hard, we understand that.

"It's definitely one of the biggest challenges in football."

Lambert said Southampton must retain coveted manager Mauricio Pochettino, in-demand stars like Luke Shaw and also add a clutch of first-rate signings to stand any chance of making that giant leap forward next term.

"Obviously, we've got to keep the best players, keep the manager and, hopefully, bring in three or four quality players," said Lambert, outlining the size of the task.

"The quicker it [Pochettino's future] gets sorted, the better."

Keen to see Southampton recruit up front, he said: "I hope so, I don't want to be the only striker really, I want them to bring in top-quality players and I think we do need a striker, so I hope so.

"This club's used to moving forward and that's what we're hoping for again, so it's going to be a big summer and, hopefully, we're going to be OK."

World Cup hopeful Lambert believes the final four league games of the season leave plenty of time for prospective England stars to state their case to coach Roy Hodgson.

Unsure whether he will make the cut, Lambert said he will have no regrets whether he jets out to Brazil or not after a strong season with Saints.

"I think these games will definitely matter," he said.

"Roy's obviously watching everyone, so it's going to be hard decisions and that's good.

"He wants hard decisions and he's going to have a few.

"I understand I might be one of those situations, so I've just got to try and do well now, and score some goals in the remaining four games.

"I always want to do better, but what I think I've done is given my all.

"I could have scored more goals, I always think that, but I've done as well as I could, I've given everything. I've got no complaints myself.

"I don't think about it too much, I would say.

"I do think about it, but it's not keeping me up at night or anything like that.

"If it's going to happen it's going to happen.

"I already understand there's a big possibility that it might not happen.

"That's not to say that I'm not desperate to go, but, like I said, if it's going to happen it's going to happen."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 things to know about the English Premier League

1c6cfadfd0654cbeaf571ed139d15a29.jpg

Manchester City's Samir Nasri grimaces after missing a goal scoring opportunity during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Sunderland at The Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, Wednesday, April 16, 2014. (AP Photo/Rui Vieira)

Friday, April 18, 2014
By: Associated Press

MANCHESTER, England — A run of 10 straight victories has propelled Liverpool to the top of the Premier League and into the unfamiliar position of title favorite.

And few would bet on that winning streak ending this weekend.

Protecting a two-point lead with four games remaining, Liverpool visits Carrow Road to take on Norwich — an opponent the Reds have scored five goals against in each of their last three meetings.

Manchester City has dropped five points in its last two matches to slip behind in the title race, so the pressure is on second-place Chelsea to keep pace with Liverpool by beating relegation-threatened Sunderland on Saturday.

Here are five things to know about the upcoming games in the Premier League:

___

SUAREZ'S HAPPY HUNTING GROUND

No one relishes a trip to Carrow Road more than Luis Suarez.

The Uruguay striker has scored hat tricks in his only two matches at the stadium, part of a haul of 11 goals in his last four games against Norwich.

"I wish Suarez would just leave us alone. Big bully," Norwich midfielder Anthony Pilkington tweeted after Suarez's four-goal performance in the teams' last meeting — at Anfield in December.

Suarez is the league's top scorer with 29 goals. No Liverpool player has scored 30 goals in a season since the inception of the Premier League in 1992.

Suarez's strike partner, Daniel Sturridge, has 20 goals this season but is a doubt with a hamstring problem as Liverpool looks to stay on course for a first league title in 24 years.

___

MOURINHO'S SELECTION DILEMMAS

It is the stage of the season when huge, season-defining matches come thick and fast — as Chelsea will testify.

After the home match to Sunderland — which is in last place but coming off a 2-2 draw at Man City on Wednesday — Chelsea faces two legs of a Champions League semifinal against Atletico Madrid and a potentially title-deciding game at Liverpool in the space of nine days.

With tiredness starting to creep in at the end of a long season, squad rotation could be key over the next fortnight for Chelsea although Jose Mourinho will know there is no room for error given Liverpool's current form.

Chelsea can capture the league title by winning its last four matches.

"No one expected anything from Liverpool and they are in contention and that is why they play without pressure so far," Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech said, "but let's see how they are going to cope when it comes to the last hurdle."

___

CITY EYES REPEAT COMEBACK

Man City came from eight points behind with six games remaining to overhaul Manchester United and win the Premier League in 2012, so the team's current predicament should hold no fear ahead of its home match against West Bromwich Albion on Monday.

The damaging draw to Sunderland left City six points behind Liverpool — and four behind Chelsea — having played a game less, and with no momentum having lost 3-2 at Anfield on Sunday.

"I think we are more mentally tired than physically tired," City manager Manuel Pellegrini said after the Sunderland match, in which Yaya Toure and David Silva were missing for City through injury and Sergio Aguero playing at nowhere near full fitness.

Silva could return against West Brom, while Aguero will hope to play longer than the 55 minutes he managed against Sunderland as he steps up his comeback from two months out with a hamstring injury.

___

MOYES BACK AT EVERTON

David Moyes will return to Goodison Park for the first time since taking over as Manchester United manager last summer — and he will find an Everton team flourishing under his replacement, Roberto Martinez.

Moyes spent 11 years at Everton, initially with the task of keeping the team in the Premier League and then with breaking the grip of the established elite in the top four.

He never succeeded, but Martinez could do so in his first season on Merseyside.

Despite Wednesday's 3-2 home loss to Crystal Palace that ended a seven-game winning run, Everton is still just one point behind fourth-place Arsenal in the battle for the final Champions League spot.

Moyes' new side, which already has been deposed as the league champion, is nine points behind Everton with a game in hand although its sights are more likely set on catching sixth-place Tottenham in the race for the final Europa League spot.

Spurs are three points ahead of United and host Fulham on Saturday.

___

NO STOPPING PALACE

Should Liverpool go on to win the league, Brendan Rodgers will no doubt win the manager-of-the season award.

He will have a rival in Tony Pulis, though.

Pulis was appointed as Crystal Palace manager in November with the team bottom of the standings on four points and with few giving them any hope of survival.

Fast forward five months and Palace has 40 points, is 10 points clear of the relegation zone and can start preparing for another season in the top flight. The team has won its last four games, including victories over Chelsea and Everton.

Included in that streak is a 3-0 win at Cardiff on April 5, a match which is the subject of a Premier League investigation with the Welsh club claiming Palace obtained Cardiff's starting lineup before the game.

The BBC says Cardiff has sent a five-page letter to the Premier League and believes the result should not stand.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini 'absolutely sure' of Liverpool and Chelsea slip-ups

392337_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Apr 18, 2014 6:48:00 PM

The Chilean's men now need to rely on their Premier League title rivals dropping points in the final month of the season but insists his team's hopes are still alive

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is "absolutely sure" that Liverpool and Chelsea will slip up in the Premier League run-in.

Pellegrini cut a forlorn figure on the touchline on Wednesday as his side needed a late Samir Nasri goal to escape with a 2-2 draw against rock-bottom Sunderland.

City have a game in hand but are six points behind table-toppers Liverpool, who beat them 3-2 at Anfield on Sunday.

Chelsea are just two points behind Liverpool and know they can win the league by securing victories in their remaining four fixtures, with a trip to Anfield still to come for Jose Mourinho's men.

Ahead of City's home clash against West Brom on Monday, Pellegrini stressed that the title race was not over.

"I am absolutely sure the other teams will drop points in the same way we did in the last game," he told reporters.

"We have 15 more points to play for and we will try and win the most amount of points.

"Then, at the end of the season, we will see who has the title. All of us want to win as much as we can. We must try to finish this season in the best way."

Pellegrini confirmed that midfield trio Yaya Toure, David Silva and Jesus Navas would miss out again on Monday but does not feel that City's title chances have been significantly harmed by their recent absence.

"There has been an important amount of injuries during this season but not only for our team," he added.

"We have played so many games with a lot of intensity but normally all the other teams who play in all the competitions have a lot of injuries. Of course it is a problem."

He also shrugged off speculation linking City with a huge bid for Barcelona star Lionel Messi in the close-season.

"It is not a surprise for me to me to hear all different rumours about players that come and go," he continued.

"It is the same thing the whole year. Remember all the goalkeepers that we were [supposed to be] bringing here?"

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sarcastic Mourinho 'congratulates' officials after Sunderland loss

392947_heroa.jpg

Apr 19, 2014 8:44:00 PM

The Portuguese was curt in his post-match interviews after the Blues succumbed to a late Fabio Borini spot-kick, having a sly dig at the decision to award the Black Cats a penalty

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho sarcastically congratulated match official Mike Dean and referees' chief Mike Riley after the Premier League title chasers slumped to a shock 2-1 defeat at home to Sunderland on Saturday.

The west London side took an early lead through Samuel Eto'o, but were pegged back by a Connor Wickham tap-in before Fabio Borini claimed all three points for the visitors with a late penalty - a strike that ended a 77-game unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge for the Blues' Portuguese coach.

The Chelsea dugout were furious with the decision to award a spot kick, with assistant boss Rui Faria even sent to the stands for his protests, and Mourinho was clearly still incensed with the decision afterwards, making a brief statement before declining to answer any further questions.

"I have only four things to say," the Portuguese announced to Sky Sports.

"Congratulations to my players, because they gave what they have and what they don't have. Congratulations to Sunderland, because they won.

"Congratulations to Mike Dean, because he made a fantastic performance. And congratulations to Mike Riley, because what they did during the season was fantastic for the way the championship is going.

"So congratulations to all of them and I have nothing more to say."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton defeat hurts, admits Manchester United boss Moyes

393430_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Apr 20, 2014 8:33:00 PM

It was an unhappy return to Goodison Park for the Scot but he was in a positive frame of mind post-game, insisting his side played well in the first half

David Moyes has vowed to create a team "that can win better than this team can" following Manchester United's 2-0 defeat to Everton on Sunday evening.

The Toffees triumphed at Goodison Park to keep up their chase for fourth place, consequently confirming the Red Devils cannot qualify for next year's Champions League for the first time since 1995.

Goals from Leighton Baines and Kevin Mirallas did the damage for Roberto Martinez's side and left Moyes to admit he needs to make changes if he is to guide United back into Europe's premier club competition.

Speaking to Sky Sports he said: "It does [hurt] because it's part of this club. We'll do everything we can to get ourselves in it [Champions League] as quickly as we can. We're going to try to get a team that can win better than this team can."

Phil Jones was at fault for the opening goal, handballing a Romelu Lukaku shot in the box and Moyes was critical of the manner in which his side conceded both goals.

"We gave away two terrible goals," Moyes added. "But we passed brilliantly, well in control of the game but couldn't make enough chances.

"We had great control but were done by two stupid decisions. The first to dive in front of the ball [by Jones] and it was two poor goals to give away.

"We had a lot the ball, passing, and controlled the majority of the game. But we didn't have a cutting edge and got done on the counter attack. We gave away two dreadful goals.

"I've no arguments with the penalty. But it was terrible mistake, because David De Gea would've just picked the ball up."

Despite enjoying the majority of possession, United struggled to create clear chances, with Wayne Rooney particularly disappointing on his return to his former club.

Moyes explained: "We couldn't find the telling pass, or clever play in the final third that makes the difference. I thought we did well, were the better team at 2-0 down in the first half.

"We'll do everything we can to win the remaining four games. We are under way with what we are doing to improve next season and try to give ourselves a better chance to compete at the top end of the table."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers hails Liverpool resilience in Norwich victory

387742_heroa.jpg

By Sam Williams
Apr 21, 2014 1:00:00 AM

The Northern Irishman was delighted to see his side marry attacking quality with defensive determination and he congratulated the squad on securing Champions League qualification

Brendan Rodgers was full of praise for his Liverpool team after they moved another step closer to the Premier League title on Sunday.

The Northern Irishman saw his side battle to a crucial 3-2 victory at Norwich City, a result that propels them five points clear of Chelsea at the top of the table with just three games remaining.

Liverpool were forced to dig as the Canaries mounted a spirited response, though, and Rodgers was effusive in his praise of his players for their attitude in sealing a vital win.

"(In the first half) we showed great quality - we were nerveless, in our possession and our control," said Rodgers.

"But credit to Norwich, they changed their shape to 4-2-3-1 second half [and] they got a goal, which gave them and the crowd a bit of momentum. From that it was always going to be a tough game for us.

"But we showed everything again - the quality of our play and our positioning in the first half was exceptional.

"Second half, when we had to show the character and resilience and determination; we showed that in bundles."

Liverpool's victory ensures they can finish no lower than third in the Premier League - meaning a return to the Champions League next term is guaranteed after a four-season absence - and Rodgers lauded his squad for the achievement.

"Congratulations to the players," he continued. "At the start of the season everyone thought it would be a struggle for us to get to fourth, so it shows the magnitude of the effort that they've put in."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Injuries & schedule hampered Arsenal in title race, says Wenger

393378_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Apr 21, 2014 12:44:00 AM

The French boss believes Liverpool's title tilt has been aided by only having to focus on the Premier League, while he praised his side's attacking verve against Hull City

Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal's Premier League title hopes were hampered by injuries to key players and their busy fixture schedule.

A 3-0 victory at Hull City on Sunday ensured the Gunners remain in fourth position, but the Frenchman insists his side could have been battling leaders Liverpool for top spot had they not been distracted by a hectic run of games due to challenging for silverware at home and in Europe.

As well as competing for honours in the Champions League and FA Cup, Arsenal also had to deal with injuries to the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Ozil at crucial parts of the season.

Liverpool are five points clear at the top and Wenger believes the Merseyside club's lack of European football and luck with injuries has aided their title challenge.

"The table is very close," he pointed out. "Liverpool played very well in second half of the season and you wouldn't like to take anything away from them, but they could focus completely on the Premier League.

"If you look at the injuries plus the players we missed, plus the schedule we had of course it was much heavier than Liverpool."

Lukas Podolski and Aaron Ramsey both netted at the KC Stadium and Wenger was delighted with his side's performances and their ruthlessness in front of goal, having appeared "toothless" previously.

"We looked dangerous to score goals again," Wenger enthused to Sky Sports.

"We had a few away games where we looked toothless but our combination game and speed was back. We looked like that we can score.

"In the Premier League you're always a bit apprehensive before every game, you want your team to perform as well as they can.

"We kept a clean sheet and scored three goals, I think overall the performance was good," he added.

"We were tested in the first half, (it was) a very physical game but we responded we great movement and scored. The second half we controlled well and overall it was a convincing win."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa owner Lerner refuses to address takeover talk

393376_heroa.jpg

By Mark Bowering
Apr 20, 2014 10:48:00 PM

The American businessman says he will discuss his future at the end of the season, while he lauded the work of Paul Lambert despite a horde of injuries this term

Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner has refused to confirm or deny rumours that he is set to sell the struggling Premier League club.

Recent reports suggested that the American is ready to consider offers for Villa, but Lerner says he is only focusing his attentions on preserving the club's Premier League status, with the side just five points above the relegation zone.

A goalless draw with Southampton on Saturday edged Paul Lambert's men closer to safety and came at the end of a week in which assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa were suspended pending an internal investigation.

Lerner – who has been at the Villa helm since 2006 – paid tribute to the club's players for not allowing the off-field distraction to hamper their survival bid and vowed to address his future at Villa Park at the end of the season.

"Following the point yesterday (Saturday) at Villa Park, there have been stories about my selling the club," said Lerner in a statement.

"On a personal level, I had hoped the emphasis would have been on the amazing effort on the part of our manager and our players to regroup throughout a very difficult week.

"Injuries to Libor (Kozak) and Christian (Benteke), compounded with the early loss of Jores (Okore) and the difficult rehab of Charles (N'Zogbia) have no doubt left Paul with far less to work with than is fair.

"Still, Paul Lambert has done nothing but work within the parameters I've set, put the club first and "continue to trust his players.

"As regards my personal role at the club and the steady rumours of a sale, I will address these after the season.

"Paul Lambert, Paul Faulkner and I speak daily and remain committed to the immediate job of limiting distraction and confusion in order that Villa have the best chance possible of finishing on a strong note."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski stars as Arsenal win FA Cup rehearsal

Arsenal kept their top-four challenge on track with a routine 3-0 win over upcoming FA Cup final opponents Hull at the KC Stadium.

Lukas%20Podolski%20%28C%29%20of%20Arsenal%20celebrates%20with%20team%20mates%20Olivier%20Giroud%20%28L%29%20and%20Aaron%20Ramsey%20%28R%29%20after%20scoring%20his%20sides%20second%20goal%20.jpg.jpg

Lukas Podolski (C) of Arsenal celebrates with team

Sunday 20th April 2014

Lukas Podolski scored either side of half-time after Aaron Ramsey's classy opener to ensure Arsenal would remain ahead of Everton regardless of the Toffees' result against Manchester United.

Hull contributed well in the first half but Podolski's second goal soon after the break knocked the stuffing out of them, and they will need to improve before the sides meet again next month.

Germany playmaker Mesut Ozil returned to the Arsenal line-up for the first time since March 11 after passing a fitness test on his hamstring, while Hull strikers Shane Long and Nikica Jelavic were recalled having been cup-tied against Sheffield United.

The match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of former City full-back Andy 'Jock' Davidson, whose 579 appearances represent a club record.

Visiting keeper Wojciech Szczesny then foiled Hull captain Curtis Davies from an early corner.

Play was bizarrely interrupted in the early stages when a section of pitchside advertising hoardings blew over, littering the pitch but fortunately without injury to any of the players.

Szczesny gathered Ahmed Elmohamady's deflected cross and was also out quickly to beat Long to a dangerous through-ball.

Ozil was denied a penalty when he tumbled over Elmohamady's challenge, with replays indicating some contact.

Jelavic's sharp shot on the turn then drew an impressive low save from Szczesny but Long took too long to line up his shot from Jake Livermore's sumptuous through-ball, firing high and wide.

In between, Steve Harper beat away a decent strike from Podolski's weaker right foot.

Elmohamady broke up a promising Gunners attack by poking the ball away from Podolski - but the visitors took the lead in the 31st minute.

A slick passing move ended with Ozil and Cazorla playing in Ramsey, who had been involved early in the move back at halfway, to fire low inside Harper's far post.

An Arsenal win, perversely, could help Hull's Europa League claims - a top-four finish for the Gunners would see the cup-winner's place revert to Hull no matter the result on May 17.

But on-loan Spurs man Livermore was in no mood to settle for the status quo, and sent a low drive against the inside of a post with Szczesny hopelessly beaten.

Long failed to make a meaningful contact with Liam Rosenior's cross and was punished by a second Arsenal goal on the stroke of half-time.

Hull were incensed as Jelavic was not awarded a free-kick after Arteta's challenge - a borderline call - and when Arsenal countered quickly, Ramsey chested Giroud's cross down to Podolski who rifled home.

Cup hero Matty Fryatt replaced Long at half-time but could not get the better of Sagna and Szczesny from his first opportunity.

Nine minutes into the second half, Podolski make it three. Harper saved well with his foot from Ramsey's initial effort but could only present the German with a simple finish.

Jelavic's shot was deflected away for a corner, and from it the Croatian's header forced another, but Hull could not find the cutting edge.

Harper had a real let-off when he misread Rosenior's back-pass and hacked the ball against Giroud. The France striker chased down the loose ball but hit the bar from an acute angle.

Rosenior's cross eluded substitute Stephen Quinn, newly on for Jelavic, and at the other end Per Mertesacker almost diverted Cazorla's poor free-kick on goal.

Harper saved well from Ramsey before an increasingly rare Hull threat saw Huddlestone's shot tipped over by an unsighted Szczesny.

The 2,000 visiting fans in the crowd of 24,762 made their own entertainment by chanting the name of beleaguered Tottenham boss, and boyhood Arsenal fan, Tim Sherwood.

Fryatt stung Szczesny's palms from range but the match fizzled out in the closing stages, with Arsenal content with their winning margin.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini optimistic about title chances

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini feels confident his players will not suffer a hangover from their last result when they host West Brom this evening.

Pellegrini.jpg

Monday 21st April 2014

Pellegrini claimed after City were held to a surprise 2-2 home draw by Sunderland - the Barclays Premier League's bottom side - on Wednesday that his men had still had the disappointment of their 3-2 defeat at table-toppers Liverpool from the previous Sunday on their minds.

But asked if he thought it would be difficult to lift the spirits in the camp for the Albion contest, the Chilean said: "No.

"I think it was more difficult between Liverpool and Sunderland. Now we have more time for the team to recover.

"I think that we are all conscious that we cannot play in the same way that we played against Sunderland.

"And I think it will not be so difficult (to raise players' spirits) as for the last game."

The results against Sunderland and Liverpool have dealt significant blows to City's title challenge.

They go into tonight's encounter lying third in the table, nine points behind Liverpool, albeit with the Reds having only three more games to go and Pellegrini's men five.

West Brom, meanwhile, are in a quite different situation but just as eager to pick up points.

They are 16th, three points clear of the relegation zone with five more matches to go, two more than the three sides directly below them.

Baggies boss Pepe Mel is studying the table and fixtures list as much as any manager as he tries to assess his side's prospects of avoiding the drop - but he has stressed the key focus for Albion must be on themselves.

When asked ahead of the City game if he was one for scrutinising the standings and trying to work out various permutations, Spaniard Mel said: ''Yes.

''And I imagine another 10 or 12 managers are possibly doing the same - both those at the top and the bottom of the league.

''But what we really need to worry about most is ourselves.''

West Brom defender Jonas Olsson (Achilles) and midfielder James Morrison (ankle) are doubts for Monday's match, as is City playmaker David Silva (ankle).

Pellegrini has revealed winger Jesus Navas has also been struggling with an ankle knock, and the game will come too soon for midfielder Yaya Toure to return after his leg injury.

Defender Matija Nastasic, out of action since February because of a knee complaint, remains unavailable.

Regarding Nastasic, Pellegrini said: "He's working better - he worked on Friday with the whole squad.

"I think that over the next few days he will be ready to start working without any problem."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ameobi: Newcastle spirit is still strong

Striker Shola Ameobi has insisted the Newcastle dressing room remains strong despite a disastrous run of results.

Novak%20Djokovic%20of%20Serbia%20walks%20off%20court%20after%20losing%20to%20Roger%20Federer%20of%20Switzerland.jpg

Sunday 20th April 2014

The Magpies slipped to a fifth successive Barclays Premier League defeat for the first time when they went down 2-1 to Swansea at St James' Park on Saturday to heap further pressure on manager Alan Pardew and his players.

They have now lost 12 of the 17 league games they have played since Boxing Day, when they were looking at an assault on the top six rather than scrapping to achieve their target of finishing in the upper half of the table, something which is now far from assured.

However, while many fans are in open revolt, Ameobi is adamant that unity remains intact inside the four walls of St James'.

Asked if everyone was still together within the camp, He said: "Yes, the dressing room is.

"It's been tough for us, obviously, but one thing that has remained is that spirit to want to work hard for each other and to fight, to keep on fighting despite the adversity that we have faced in the last few games.

"I thought we showed character there. It was always going to be a tough match - the fans, obviously, were expecting better from us and for the large part, I thought we did that.

"But it's just again a failure to put teams away and to stop conceding. Essentially we failed again and we lost another game."

Pardew's best-laid plans had to be torn up within minutes of kick-off when, after starting with three central defenders and three strikers, he lost two of his frontmen to injury before half-time.

Referee Chris Foy too failed to make it to the break after being knocked from his feet when Jonjo Shelvey's early shot ricocheted back off Fabricio Coloccini and hit him full in the face.

He was, however, still in charge when Ameobi brought a welcome end to Newcastle's goal drought after a depressing six hours and 23 minutes.

It was he who leapt to head down Tim Krul's clearance to Luuk de Jong and then span on the return pass to beat keeper Michel Vorm for his first league goal since December 2012.

But De Jong was to follow Papiss Cisse down the tunnel shortly afterwards - his ankle problem appears less serious than the knee injury which prompted the Senegal international's premature exit - and there was worse to come for the home side.

The game was deep into injury time at the end of the first half when Wilfried Bony rose to power home Ben Davies' corner, and he was to repeat the feat in added time at the end of the game when, after substitute Marvin Emnes had been felled by Cheick Tiote, he nervelessly converted the penalty to snatch a precious victory.

Ameobi said: "Unfortunately, we have had a few too many of these as of late. Again, we went into the game full of spirit and wanting to fight and give everything for a win.

"We started off great, getting a goal, but we were hit by two later sucker-punches at the end of each half, which is very frustrating."

The victory eased Swansea six points clear of the drop zone with three games to play, and that, rather than taking his personal tally for the season to 22 goals, was the most pleasing aspect of the trip to Tyneside for Bony.

Asked if it was his most important contribution to date, he told the Swans official website, www.swanseacity.net: "You can say that because it gave us three points that were crucial.

"I was just focusing on two things: one was to score, and the other was looking back at the time on the clock to see how long we had left to play.

"There were no nerves. I practised in training a few days ago and it's always the same - the only thing that changes is what side to go.

"It's always good when you score in the last minute, but when the team wins, its fantastic."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allardyce: Carroll still lacking fitness

England World Cup hopeful Andy Carroll is still suffering from a lack of sharpness and fitness, according to West Ham boss Sam Allardyce.

Carroll.jpg

Monday 21st April 2014

Carroll moved permanently to Upton Park for a club record £15million before the start of the campaign, but the powerful centre-forward was ruled out until January with a foot problem.

Encouraging performances on his return contributed to an improvement in West Ham's results, but Carroll has scored only twice in his 13 appearances and his form has faded of late.

The 25-year-old will be targeting a place in England's 23-man World Cup squad in June, but Allardyce admits Carroll is still catching up after his spell on the sidelines.

"He's not 100 per cent," Allardyce said.

"He's had no pre-season at all, he's worked very hard, but getting into games at this stage of the season after so long out is hard.

"It's hard to get that ultimate sharpness that you need. Hopefully he can find it.

"He looked sharp when he came back. His enthusiasm and the energy from being so pleased to be back with us carried him through, but that catches up with you when you've been out for so long.

"A little bit of fatigue kicks in. We've got to work through it and hopefully he can finish the season by scoring a few goals for us."

West Ham's five senior strikers have netted just 11 league goals this season between them while the club's top scorer is a midfielder - Kevin Nolan with seven.

Allardyce believes the Hammers, currently 12th in the table, would be finishing the season in the top half had Carroll been fit and insists the club need to bolster their attacking options in the summer.

"What we need to do is find an alternative type of front man that scores a few more goals, we'll have to do that," Allardyce said.

"If Andy had been with us all season, we'd be top half, I'm convinced about that.

"Carlton Cole has done a fantastic job but it took him a long time to get going because he didn't join us until after the January window had shut, and Modibo Maiga has struggled since he's been here unfortunately. We would have hoped he'd have done better.

"I'm convinced the front man is the key to how you do in a season, and if we had Andy out on the pitch, match-fit and scoring the goals we know he can with Kevin Nolan, I think we'd be a lot further up the table than we are now."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Solskjaer ready for Sunderland showdown

Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has billed next Sunday's showdown against fellow BPL relegation candidates Sunderland as "a proper cup final."

465002641.jpg

Monday 21st April 2014

Solskjaer's team will head to the Stadium of Light with renewed hope of avoiding the drop after beating Southampton and drawing with Stoke.

Sunderland, though, can reflect on a draw at Manchester City and a stunning 2-1 win against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in their last two games, which underlines the size of Cardiff's task.

Cardiff finish the season at home to Chelsea on May 11, but their Premier League fate is likely to be decided by successive games in the north-east - Sunderland in seven days' time, then Newcastle a week later.

"It is three weeks until Chelsea, and a lot can happen by then," Solskjaer said.

"They could win the league, they could be in the Champions League final or they could be in Brazil in some of their heads at the World Cup. You never know.

"For us, we need these points more than some of these teams. Next weekend it is a proper cup final.

"If you talk about league games that mean the same for both teams, then that is us and Sunderland. Next weekend will be the same mental test for both.

"It is a massive game for us, and we will prepare as if it is the last game we will ever play.

"I think we will probably have to have five more (points) to give us a chance. I don't think 34 points will be enough. 35 might be enough, and 36 I think will be enough.

"The players have come through some adversity. As a group, they are all fighting for their lives as Premier League players. They all want it, and every one of them is chipping in."

If Cardiff manage to retain top-flight status, they will owe goalkeeper David Marshall a huge debt.

Scotland international Marshall, who has made more saves than any other Premier League keeper this season, was at his best again in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Stoke, highlighted by a late point-blank stop from Potters substitute Oussama Assaidi.

"We do keep him busy," Solskjaer added. "(Stoke) was one of the less busy games he has had, and he showed the concentration levels by producing two fantastic saves."

Asked if he would be in Solskjaer's team of the season, the manager added: "Yes.

"I would pick Marshy if I could, every day of the week. In the league in his current form, yes (over any other goalkeeper in the league)."

Stoke midfielder and former Cardiff player Peter Odemwingie had one chance spectacularly saved by Marshall, and he hopes the Bluebirds can pass their survival test during the next few weeks.

"Their manager has said they need a miracle to stay up, and I really hope they get it," Odemwingie said.

"They have quality, they need a bit of luck like everyone does, and then maybe that miracle can happen and Cardiff can get the results they need.

"I watched a couple of their games over the last few months and I just thought they were a bit unlucky, especially away at Spurs and Everton.

"If they can play like that again, they can probably get the points needed."

And Stoke boss Mark Hughes said of his fellow former Manchester United star Solskjaer: "The Premier League is not easy, it's unrelenting, you have to stick to your principles and what you believe in.

"I am sure that's what Ole is doing, and credit to him. He has been exposed to the Premier League as a manager. He understands it completely as a player, given the strength of his career, but management is a little different, as I am sure he will say.

"The first season in the Premier League is difficult for anyone, irrespective of your playing background. If you haven't experienced it before it's tough going.

"But that is the job we've got, and you make sure if you have an opportunity then you do your best, as Ole is doing."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes to be sacked as Manchester United manager

388907_heroa.jpg

Apr 21, 2014 5:05:00 PM

The Scot has overseen a disappointing campaign since replacing Sir Alex Ferguson and is not expected to be in charge at Old Trafford for the clash with Norwich City on Saturday

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

David Moyes is set to be sacked as manager of Manchester United, Goal understands.

The Glazer family have decided to dismiss the Scot just 11 months after he was appointed Sir Alex Ferguson's successor.

A United spokesperson has denied that Moyes has already been sacked but Goal has learned that his departure is "imminent". He is not expected to be in the dugout when United play Norwich City at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Player-coach Ryan Giggs is expected to be placed in charge of the team until the end of the season, with the other members of the backroom team that Moyes brought with him from Everton - Steve Round, Phil Neville and Jimmy Lumsden - also set to leave the club. A permanent manager will then be appointed at the end of the season.

The Glazers, the Americans who own the club, regarded Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Everton, United's 11th loss in all competitions since the turn of the year, as the final straw in what has been a catastrophic season.

Moyes, who signed a six-year contract last May in the wake of Sir Alex's retirement, is likely to be told the news of his dismissal by executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

It can hardly be a coincidence that the Glazers decided to pull the plug immediately after confirmation that United cannot mathematically finish in the top four this season.

The America-based owners have learned from the senior executives based in the UK of the widespread disaffection of senior players and the United hierarchy believe dressing room unrest, coupled with a season of disastrous results, has made Moyes' position untenable.

United are set to become the equal worst defending champions in Premier League history, matching the seventh place finish of Ray Harford’s Blackburn Rovers in 1996. They are also likely to fail to qualify for the Europa League next season.

The United board have stood by Moyes following several disastrous results, most notably the home defeats last month to rivals Liverpool and Manchester City.

But the scorelines have been matched by equally deflating performances and the pressure on Moyes has grown due to persistent rumours of discontent in the dressing room.

Robin van Persie, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Danny Welbeck, Javier Hernandez and Giggs, who has been marginalised despite his apparently senior role, are all believed to be unhappy with Moyes and the backroom team he brought with him from Everton.

The United matchday fans have remained broadly supportive of Moyes but anger has grown at what they perceive to be a negative style of play and the manager's continual failure to arrest the slump, particularly against high-quality opposition.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bookmakers suspend betting on Moyes future

393775_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Apr 21, 2014 2:56:00 PM

The Manchester United boss looks set to be on his way out of Old Trafford less than a season into a six-year deal at the club

Bookmakers have suspended betting on the next Premier League manager to be sacked amid reports Manchester United manager David Moyes is set to leave the club.

The Scot was 1/4 on to be shown the Old Trafford exit door and become the latest top flight boss to lose his job before the market was shut down at approximately 15:00 CET on Monday afternoon.

That came following widespread reports that the club have lost patience with the 50-year-old following Sunday's 2-0 Premier League defeat to Everton at Goodison Park.

The result leaves United in seventh position in the league table and 23 points behind leaders Liverpool, having lifted the title last season in Sir Alex Ferguson's final campaign in charge.

Moyes was appointed on the recommendation of Ferguson last May and handed a six-year deal following an 11-year stay at Everton, but his time already looks to be up after a disastrous 11 months at Old Trafford.

Several high-profile candidates have already risen to the top of the betting markets to take over at the Theatre of Dreams, with Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal the current favourite at 4/1.

Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp and Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone are two other names believed to be under consideration at 5/1 and 18/1 respectively.

Should Moyes depart before the end of the season then United stalwart Ryan Giggs could be made caretaker boss until a permanent appointment is made, but the 40-year-old is a favourite with punters to be handed the job permanently at 6/1.

Outsiders include former Red Devils assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, who is a 14/1 shot, while Ferguson is available at 20/1 to make a shock return to the dug-out.