• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA reject Hull City name change

Owner Assem Allam's application to change the name of Hull City to Hull Tigers has been rejected, the Football Association has announced.

Hull.jpg

Wednesday 9th April 2014

Allam's plans were met with mutiny and protest over the issue which has overshadowed Hull's season.

Those against the change were boosted three weeks ago when the FA's membership committee said it would give a "unanimous recommendation" for the plan to be rejected.

A recent survey of season ticket holders fell on the side of Allam, with 2,565 backing him compared to 2,517 going against him. 9,159 fans did not vote.

But 63.5 per cent of the FA council voted against the name change.

A FA statement read: "The FA council has today rejected Hull City's application to change their playing name to Hull Tigers.

"The council's decision - carried by a 63.5 per cent vote of its members - came after a recommendation from The FA's membership committee.

"The Council, which is made up of representatives from across football, fully considered the recommendation and the subsequent responses received from Hull City in reaching its decision."

The saga has rumbled on in the background of Hull's successful season which this weekend takes in an FA Cup semi-final against Sheffield United at Wembley.

A statement on hullcitytigers.com read: "The club will not be making any comment on the outcome of today's FA meeting.

"Our focus is on supporting Steve Bruce and the team ahead of Sunday's FA Cup Semi-Final, our first in over 80 years.

"We look forward to seeing you all at Wembley."

Hull fan groups welcomed the decision.

Ian Waterson of City Til We Die told Press Association Sport: "We're delighted that the FA have agree with the fans and the vast majority of people who were against this name change.

"We feel privileged that the FA chose to give the fans a platform to be listened to.

"We were pleased they decided history and heritage were vitally important to a football club.

"We hope, as City Till We Die have said all along, we would respect the FA process and the decision and we hope the club has the good grace to do likewise.

"Quite what course of action he'll take because he can't change the name is a question for the owner. As supporters this is the end of the line for us."

Hull defender Curtis Davies insists he and his team-mates have remained out of the politics.

Speaking before the FA council's decision was announced, Davies said: "It doesn't affect the players, I think any player who said it has would be a liar.

"The name doesn't matter and we wear the tiger on our badge already.

"Cardiff changed their whole brand, from the Bluebirds to the Red Dragons, we're not doing that.

"The chairman just wants to change us to our nickname and I can't see that being as bad, but I do see where the fans are coming from as well."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Magath convinced Fulham will avoid the drop

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34pm BST

r

Fulham manager Felix Magath watches his side play Newcastle United during their English Premier League soccer match at Craven Cottage in London, March 15, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

(Reuters) - Felix Magath is "convinced" Fulham can avoid relegation from the Premier League this season and believes they will take a step closer to survival with victory over fellow strugglers Norwich City at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Eighteenth-placed Fulham, who have 27 points from 33 matches, claimed a vital three points with a win over Aston Villa last weekend and Magath is adamant the club has been rejuvenated as a result.

"I think the whole club now believes after the win in Aston Villa that we will stay in the league," Magath told reporters on Thursday.

"They (the players) are playing very well and they have fun when they play and they are not afraid of making mistakes.

"That is the way we have to play, so we are in a good way and that's why I am convinced that we will stay in the league.

"We need another win in our next game and so we will try to do that on Saturday against Norwich."

German Magath replaced Rene Meulensteen as head coach in February and, despite just two victories during his seven games in charge, the former Bayern Munich boss says he is transforming the mentality at the west London club.

"It was very important to change the atmosphere because players, if they have no success, are not confident," he continued.

"That is what has changed now, and in the training sessions you see it is a different team than it was before. You feel, this week, the players are free."

Norwich, who are 17th and have a five-point advantage over Fulham, sacked Chris Hughton on Sunday and replaced him with youth team coach Neil Adams.

Magath thinks Norwich made the correct decision in dismissing the Irishman, but feels with five games remaining this season it may be too little too late.

"They've changed the manager now so that will give them a new energy," he added. "We have to be careful as they will fight for 90 minutes and it will not be an easy game for us.

"I think for them it's a chance to change something at the end of the season and I think it's a decision that's maybe very good for them, (but) maybe it's a little bit too late."

(Reporting By Michael Hann; editing by Josh Reich)

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton will keep their focus for run-in, says Martinez

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:18pm BST

r

Everton's manager Roberto Martinez reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Manchester United at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England December 4, 2013. REUTERS/Nigel Roddis

(Reuters) - Everton will not let the increased expectation that comes with their surge towards a top-four finish in the Premier League distract from maintaining their impressive run of form, manager Roberto Martinez said ahead of Saturday's match with Sunderland.

After crushing Arsenal 3-0 at Goodison Park last weekend, the spotlight has been firmly fixed on Martinez's side as they moved to within a point of the fourth-placed Gunners with a game in hand.

With six matches remaining and expectations rising, Everton, who have not finished fourth since the 2004-05 season, will stay grounded in their quest for a top four finish according to Martinez.

"We said our target is clearly in the final third of the season of going into every game to try... and get as many points as we could get, and that doesn't change," Martinez, whose side have 63 points from 32 matches, told reporters on Thursday.

"What changed last Sunday is probably the perception from the outside, but internally it doesn't change anything.

"We've got, mathematically, a great opportunity with six games to go."

Everton play bottom club Sunderland on Saturday and, with Arsenal in FA Cup action, a win would take them into the Champions League places.

Having won their last six Premier League outings, Everton will go into the game at the Stadium of Light as firm favourites.

Martinez, however, warned against complacency against a side who were thrashed 5-1 by Tottenham Hotspur last time out but claimed the spoils last time the sides met.

"The players are looking fresh, they're in a very good moment of form," continued the Spaniard, whose side lost 1-0 at home to Sunderland in December.

"We're just looking forward now to facing Sunderland. That is going to be such a difficult encounter at their own ground.

"We still remember the defeat we had at home against them and we need to make sure we are ready and prepared to perform as well as we can."

Everton will keep tabs on the fitness of midfielder Leon Osman, who was forced off after nine minutes in the win over Arsenal with a cut that left him sporting a black eye and needing stitches, but defender Phil Jagielka remains absent with a hamstring injury.

"Leon Osman is the only doubt that we have from the squad on Sunday (against Arsenal). The cut is healing well but the eye is not fully open," added Martinez.

"We need to make sure that it doesn't affect his vision, so we will have a clear idea after training today (Thursday)."

(Reporting By Michael Hann; editing by Josh Reich)

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton's Martinez endorses Hillsborough tributes

LONDON Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:03pm BST

r

The Hillsborough memorial is seen in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014. REUTERS/Phil Noble

(Reuters) - Everton's long-term support for their neighbours Liverpool regarding the Hillsborough disaster continued on Thursday when Roberto Martinez endorsed this weekend's plans to mark the anniversary.

The 25th anniversary of the tragedy that claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans at the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest on April 15 1989 falls next week.

The game was abandoned after six minutes and all matches in England's top eight divisions being played between April 11 and 14 as well as the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley on Saturday and Sunday are kicking off seven minutes later than scheduled with a minute's silence included in the delayed time.

"It's a very important gesture," Everton manager Martinez told reporters ahead of his side's match against bottom-of-the-table Sunderland on Saturday.

"It's an important week, in terms of showing our respect and giving all the support we can to the families and to be all together in this moment.

"It is a gesture from the whole league, and everyone in world football, to pay their respects towards what happened 25 years ago."

Liverpool have held an annual memorial service at Anfield since the tragedy and Everton are joining them this year in holding a service at Goodison Park.

"In the city we are going to have an opportunity to have our own service, at Goodison, alongside the service at Anfield," Martinez added.

"We very much have that in mind, to be able to pay our respects, and every Evertonian will have the opportunity to do that."

New inquests have started into the deaths of the 96 fans - the worst sporting disaster in British history which was due to overcrowding at the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield.

(Reporting by Mike Collett, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forlan: I told Suarez to join Manchester United

381943_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Apr 10, 2014 12:00:00 PM

The Uruguayan has revealed he advised his countryman to consider a move to Old Trafford before he arrived at Anfield from Ajax for €27.5 million in January 2011

Uruguayan striker Diego Forlan has revealed he told countryman Luis Suarez to join Manchester United before his move to Liverpool in January 2011.

Suarez arrived at Anfield from Ajax in a €27.5 million deal and has propelled the Reds into a surprise Premier League title challenge this season, topping the scoring charts with 29 goals.

But Forlan, who now plays for J-League side Cerezo Osaka, has revealed things might have been very different had his international team-mate followed his advice.

"When Liverpool made him an offer," Forlan wrote in FourFourTwo, "I told him he should join Manchester United, but I also spoke well of Liverpool and their history.

"He loves playing at Liverpool. He likes the Premier League – and the fans love him because he's a striker's striker.

"He still chases everything, like Wayne Rooney used to before he moved deeper, and he's learned from his mistakes. We all make them."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sturridge: I was right to leave Manchester City

389408_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Apr 11, 2014 11:02:00 AM

The 24-year-old, who has scored 20 Premier League goals this season, believes he would have found opportunities hard to come by had he remained at the Etihad Stadium

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge insists he has no regrets about leaving Manchester City as a youngster.

Sturridge moved to Chelsea in 2012 but endured a frustrating four-year spell at Stamford Bridge before moving to Anfield in January 2013.

Since arriving on Merseyside the 24-year-old has enjoyed the form of his life, scoring 20 Premier League goals this season - a figure only bettered by strike partner Luis Suarez.

As his side prepare to host City in a potential Premier League title decider on Sunday, Sturridge believes he could never have achieved the same success at the Etihad Stadium.

"I would not have got to where I am today if I had stayed," he told the Daily Mirror.

"It was difficult for me at Manchester City as a young player aged 18 or 19, with all the money they have.

"Realistically, you look back and they only have Micah Richards from the academy playing for the club's first team - everyone else has been signed by Man City, so I feel I made the right decision leaving there."

Sturridge also lifted the lid on the misery he endured at Chelsea, and admits he lost his passion for football while at Stamford Bridge.

"At first, it was a matter of learning from the likes of Didier, and I thought I would get my opportunity sooner, but they didn't believe in me as a centre forward," he added.

"They always said, 'You're not a centre-forward, you're a winger' - that's how they saw me, but that hurt me because I've played down the middle all my life.

"The pitch has always been where I've been able to express myself the most, where I feel happiest, and I was deprived of that opportunity at Chelsea.

"There were times when I was sat at home, very upset, and I fell out of love with the game."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Owen: Arsenal actually overchieving

281804_heroa.jpg

Apr 12, 2014 8:01:00 AM

Arsene Wenger is coming under increasing pressure because of the north Londoners' nine-year trophy drought, but the ex-England ace says the club are "punching above their weight"

EXCLUSIVE
By Liam Twomey

Michael Owen has dismissed the notion that Arsenal are underachieving, claiming that the Gunners are exactly where they should be ahead of Saturday's FA Cup semi-final showdown with Wigan at Wembley.

The Gunners are heavy favourites to overcome the Latics and advance to the tournament decider, where they would face either Hull City or Sheffield United. Arsene Wenger has other worries in the Premier League, however, with Everton set to overtake his side in the race for the top four if they win their game in hand away to Sunderland on Saturday.

However, Owen, who scored twice to beat Arsenal in the 2001 FA Cup final for Liverpool, feels that the Gunners should be happy if they qualify for the Champions League and claim their first silverware since 2005.

"If I was an Arsenal player I'd be really excited to have such a good opportunity to win the cup," he told Goal. "They only have to play to their ability.

"All the other big teams are out and if they can play to their potential, they've got to beat a Championship team and then either a League One team or a side in the bottom half of the Premier League. It's a fantastic opportunity to win a huge piece of silverware.

"I don't go along with them not having a good mentality. I think they do and they're doing exactly what they should be doing at the moment.

"They're about the fourth or fifth best team in the Premier League and that's exactly where they're going to finish up. If they get fourth and win the cup it will be a good season for them.

"They're punching exactly their weight and they've got a great chance to win the FA Cup. They just need to seize the moment."

Owen also believes that winning the FA Cup would be a big step towards lifting the atmosphere of negativity around Arsenal, though he insists that further investment is needed to propel them to greater heights.

"It would be huge for them to win it because of how big the FA Cup is and because of how long it's been since they won a trophy," he added.

"In terms of it being a springboard, not really. They need to carry on developing their team and add a bit more quality if they want to compete for the title but this competition has really opened up for them and they'll never get a better chance to win it.

"It would bring a nice bit of relief for Arsenal fans and a nice bit of cheer and, if they can wrap it up with coming fourth in the league, that will make it a good season for them."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool have no nerves for Manchester City clash, insists Rodgers

385016_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 11, 2014 5:17:00 PM

The Northern Irishman has urged his side to keep their composure against Manuel Pellegrini's men on Sunday and says the Anfield crowd can help inspire the Reds to victory

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers insists his side have no nerves as they prepare to face Manchester City in the Premier League.

The two sides clash at Anfield on Sunday, in a game many are billing as a title decider with just four points separating the two teams at kick-off, although Manuel Pellegrini's men have played two games less than their rivals.

Rodgers says his side are looking forward to the game and has urged his men to maintain their recent form that has seen them win their last nine games in a row.

"We have no nerves, we have been enjoying it this week, and there has been a great feeling around the training ground this week,” he told reporters.

"It's vitally important to keep our cool and calm. We showed that last weekend with great composure when decisions went against us at West Ham.

"For us it's exciting, we have been building to get where we are and we are looking to sustain it in the longer period.”

The Reds have lost just once at Anfield all season in the Premier League, a 1-0 defeat to Southampton back in September, and Rodgers says their home form can help them against City.

“The great beauty is we are at home and we have a great record here - we will unleash the supporters yet again," he said.

"I get a sense of the old days around the place, and we will always respect and embrace our past. It has allowed us to make Anfield such a difficult place to come and we will use that.

"It's a significant game, but the finish line is still a long way to go afterwards. All that comes out of the game is three points so that's what we're after, but out of it would come confidence and belief.”

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kompany: Defeat to Liverpool wouldn't end Manchester City's title bid

387420_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Apr 12, 2014 8:48:00 AM

The club captain describes the crunch meeting at Anfield as a "defining game" but believes that his side could recover even if they were beaten by Brendan Rodgers's side

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany is convinced that his side can still lift the title even if they suffer defeat at Liverpool on Sunday.

A win for the Premier League-leading Merseysiders on Sunday would see them open up a seven-point lead over their third-placed opponents, although Kompany does not believe that his side would be out of the reckoning should they slip up at Anfield.

He told FourFourTwo: "I think, in our case, we [would still] have some chance. Obviously the winners are favourites - we can be sure of that - but, if we lose, I think we have more chance of getting back in it than they would [if they lost].

"It's a great game for neutrals. The Premier League is such a competitive league now and it's good there are different teams involved. For years it had been the same teams but now it could be Liverpool, it could be City or it could be Chelsea.

"Obviously this game is a defining game and it's great to be involved. It will be difficult but, at the same time, if you do something special you will never forget those moments."

And Kompany was giving nothing away over how he plans to deal with Liverpool's potent strike duo of Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez, adding that he relishes being tested in the big games.

When asked about the 'SAS', he added: "Let's talk about it after the game! I can only say I love playing in these games – this is what I live for. I want to play against the strongest and the best. I think it gets the best out of me – I'm looking forward to it.

"I love the pressure – it's something that I need. This game has all the ingredients so it's perfect. We'll play against strong strikers, strong players, a strong team. You never have the guarantee you will have a good game or you will win but it is something worth fighting for and I like it that way."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Posted on Thursday, 04.10.14

5 things to know about the Premier League, FA Cup

935-1kYr0c.St.55.jpeg

Manchester City's Stevan Jovetic, left, celebrates scoring against Southampton with teammate Samir Nasri during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Southampton at The Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, Saturday, April 5, 2014. Rui Vieira / AP Photo

By STEVE DOUGLAS
AP Sports Writer

Liverpool's Premier League title ambitions will receive their ultimate test on what is sure to be a poignant weekend for the club as English football pauses to remember the 96 people who died in the Hillsborough Stadium disaster.

To mark the 25th anniversary of Britain's worst sporting tragedy, every league and cup game in England will start seven minutes later than initially scheduled and after a minute's silence. That is because the FA Cup semifinal on April 15, 1989, between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest was called off at 3:06 p.m., with Liverpool fans being crushed in the stands.

It means the emotions will be especially high at Anfield on Sunday, when Liverpool hosts Manchester City in a match that could have a huge bearing on the destination of the Premier League trophy.

The game is likely to overshadow the FA Cup semifinals held over two days at Wembley Stadium, with Arsenal facing second-tier Wigan, which is the holder, and Hull taking on third-tier Sheffield United.

Here are five things to know about this weekend's league and cup games:

---

CRUNCH MATCH AT ANFIELD

The destiny of the Premier League title is currently in the hands of both Liverpool and Man City, but there could be one standout favorite by Sunday night.

Liverpool has won its last nine matches to return to the top of the standings and fuel belief among fans that the league trophy could be on its way back to Anfield for the first time in 24 years.

Even taking into account Manchester United's rapid demise post-Alex Ferguson, Liverpool's revival is the story of the season considering the team finished seventh last term.

And Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers knows the club couldn't have chosen a more perfect season for a rebirth.

"I knew coming into the football club that there are 96 people in the sky that will always be supporting this team," Rodgers said. "We want to do it for the great support and the football family of Liverpool and if we are to achieve anything this year, they will always be in our thoughts."

City, which is four points behind Liverpool with two games in hand, remains most pundits' favorites and is unbeaten in its last seven league matches. Top striker Sergio Aguero could be back from a hamstring injury.

---

DON'T FORGET CHELSEA

By overturning a two-goal deficit against Paris Saint-Germain to reach the Champions League semifinals in midweek, Chelsea showed once again how foolish it is to write them off.

The same applies in the Premier League.

A draw at Anfield, for example, would suit second-place Chelsea and allow Jose Mourinho's team to draw level on points with Liverpool by beating Swansea away hours later.

Chelsea, however, has lost its last three away matches — to PSG in the Champions League and Aston Villa and Crystal Palace in the league — and will probably be without top scorer Eden Hazard because of a calf problem.

---

PRESSURE ON ARSENAL

Arsenal's season is starting to unravel after picking up just two points from its last four league matches, making this weekend a crucial one for Arsene Wenger and his under-pressure team.

The club is within sight of its first trophy in nine years and is easily the biggest team left in the FA Cup. However, Wigan has relished the so-called "David vs. Goliath" matches in the FA Cup over the last two seasons and has already beaten Man City away on its path back to Wembley Stadium for the semifinals.

If Arsenal ends up becoming the fourth Premier League side to be upset by Wigan in this season's competition, it could be a disastrous weekend for Wenger as his team could also lose fourth spot in the league if Everton beats Sunderland earlier Saturday.

Wenger is looking on the bright side, saying on Thursday: "We are in a position where we can still do very well until the end of the season — that is what we want."

Wigan manager Uwe Rosler urged his players to add to the "unrest" at Arsenal, saying: "Expectation there is sky high, the longer we are in the tie the more difficult it will be for Arsenal."

---

BLADES LOOKING SHARP UNDER CLOUGH

While Wigan's attempts to retain the FA Cup have added another slice of romance to the world's oldest and most famous domestic cup competition, it may not top Sheffield United's unlikely run to Wembley.

The club nicknamed "The Blades" has been blunt since slipping out of the Premier League in 2007 and can now be found in mid-table in England's third-tier League One.

However, United has looked a different proposition since hiring Nigel Clough — the son of the late managerial great Brian Clough — toward the end of last year. It has since become the first third-tier team to reach the FA Cup's last four since Wycombe in 2001. No club from that lowly level has ever advanced to the final.

Hull has only reached one semifinal, 84 years ago, making it potentially the most unlikely last-four lineup in the competition's history.

---

RELEGATION BATTLE FACES ANTICLIMAX

Fulham, Cardiff and Sunderland have been cut adrift at the bottom of the Premier League and will need to do something special to avoid relegation.

Five points now separates third-bottom Fulham from fourth-bottom Norwich and the two teams meet on Saturday in a hugely significant match. Norwich will be under the control of Neil Adams, who replaced the fired Chris Hughton on Sunday after a run of one win in six games.

Last-place Sunderland, which is two points behind Fulham but with two games in hand, hosts Everton and next-to-last Cardiff travels to Southampton.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League previews

By Sport Magazine (@Sportmaguk) | Thursday, April 10, 2014

gerrard-toure_0.jpg

Liverpool v Manchester City Sunday, April 13; Anfield, 1.37pm

Liverpool go into this potential title-decider (or a certain one, according to Jose Mourinho), on the back of nine straight wins in the league. They have the momentum, then, but does Brendan Rodgers’ side have the nerve?

“The message is to stay calm,” said Steven Gerrard after Liverpool’s win over West Ham left the outcome of the title race in the Reds’ own hands. Rodgers, meanwhile, has turned to mind-trickery to lower rocketing expectations by claiming that all the pressure is piled on to a Manchester City side that has “invested to win the Premier League”.

City’s two games in hand mean a draw at Anfield would not be the worst result for them, but manager Manuel Pellegrini insists they won’t be playing for one.

At the Etihad in December it was City who triumphed 2-1 after Philippe Coutinho gave the visitors an early lead – and Liverpool had enough chances to believe they deserved at least a draw – before Vincent Kompany (as he often does in these big games) and Alvaro Negredo settled matters before half-time.

To put everything into perspective, every match in the top five leagues (and in the FA Cup) in England will kick off seven minutes late this weekend, to mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster, with a minute’s silence before each game. The 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest was abandoned at 3.06pm.

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa Saturday, April 12; Selhurst Park, 3.07pm

“When I came into the club, they were shipping goals and we had to make sure we sorted that out,” said Tony Pulis after last week’s win at Cardiff. His side have now conceded three in six and survival is starting to look ever more likely. Three defeats on the bounce have left Aston Villa teetering, meanwhile, and with their last two games away to Manchester City and Tottenham, manager Paul Lambert will want to stop the rot sooner rather than later.

Fulham v Norwich City Saturday, April 12; Craven Cottage, 3.07pm

With Chris Hughton gone and an ominous run-in of Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal (ahem) on the horizon, former youth team coach Neil Adams takes over for what we’re calling Norwich’s last ‘winnable’ game of the season. A late winner from Hugo Rodallega at Aston Villa last week means victory will leave Fulham just two points behind the Canaries. Only one of these sinking ships can realistically stay afloat.

Southampton v Cardiff City Saturday, April 12; St Mary’s, 3.07pm

Take a bow, Vincent Tan. Cardiff had 18 points from 20 games when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer arrived in January – they’ve picked up eight in 13 since. The red Bluebirds have scored ten in their past five, so we’d suggest their problems lie at the back. For the hosts, Jay Rodriguez is out, but Rickie Lambert still has World Cup ambitions. He scored his 34th straight penalty last week. Far be it from us to suggest we could use someone like that in Brazil, Roy?

Stoke City v Newcastle United Saturday, April 12; Britannia Stadium, 3.07pm

Newcastle haven’t scored a goal in three weeks and are coming off the back of two 4-0 drubbings. Stoke, just one place behind the Magpies in tenth, are on the opposite trajectory after going unbeaten through March (with four wins and a draw). And, thanks in part to a reborn Peter Odemwingie, they also look dangerous in front of goal. We’re backing Mark Hughes’ side to get back to winning ways – if Charlie Adam can behave himself this week.

Sunderland v Everton Saturday, April 12; Stadium of Light, 3.07pm

If Roberto Martinez could have handpicked a fixture with which Everton could leapfrog Arsenal into the fourth Champions League spot, it would surely be this one. Everton looked menacing against the Gunners last weekend, and only Luis Suarez (52), Robin van Persie (37) and Daniel Sturridge (31) have scored more league goals than Romelu Lukaku since August 2012. Sunderland have one point from seven and look all but down.

West Bromwich Albion v Tottenham Hotspur Saturday, April 12; The Hawthorns, 3.07pm

Pepe Mel’s side have now won two of their past four, taking their total to six wins for the season. It’s the same total as Sunderland and Cardiff, who prop up the table, but the Baggies are five points clear of the drop thanks to their 14 draws – the most of any team in the league. Tottenham’s win over Sunderland on Monday was their second in four, too, but they have lost their past three on the road – the last two of those 4-0. There is hope for the Baggies yet.

Swansea City v Chelsea Sunday, April 13; Liberty Stadium, 4.07pm

Two teams with their respective focus on opposite ends of the table meet at the end of a weekend that could have much to say about their immediate futures. Swansea have won one in eight in the league, and by kick-off could have been leapfrogged by West Brom and Norwich. Chelsea could also have been overtaken by Manchester City, should the away side win at Anfield. Either way, this game represents a crucial three points.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Philippe Coutinho seals massive win for Liverpool over Manchester City

Brazilian nets winner in 3-2 victory over title rivals on anniversary of Hillsborough Disaster; Reds now in the driving seat with four games left

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 13 April, 2014, 11:33pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 13 April, 2014, 11:36pm

Agence France-Presse

soccer-england_nvr09.jpg

Philippe Coutinho celebrates his winner. Photo: Reuters

Philippe Coutinho’s 78th-minute winner gave Liverpool a crucial 3-2 victory over Premier League title rivals Manchester City on a day of raw emotion at Anfield on Sunday.

City fought back from 2-0 down to level the scores, but a mistake by captain Vincent Kompany let Coutinho slam home a first-time shot that leaves Liverpool within sight of their first league title since 1990.

An afternoon that began with tributes to mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster ended with Liverpool seven points clear of City at the top of the table, albeit having played two more games.

britain_soccer_english_premier_league_pp.jpg

Liverpool's fans in the Kop celebrate at the final whistle as Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-2. Photo: EPA

It was a 10th successive win for Brendan Rodgers’ side, who scored first-half goals through Raheem Sterling and Martin Skrtel, and means that they will be crowned champions if they win their remaining four games.

“It’s emotional but we need to stay calm as we still have four big games to come,” said Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard. “But that meant so much, especially when they came back. That is probably the biggest statement we have made so far.

“That was the longest 90 minutes I have probably played in. It felt like the clock was going backwards during parts of that game.”

britain_soccer_premier_league_mjs123.jpg

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, top, celebrates with teammates after they beat Manchester City 3-2. Photo: AP

"We have got four cup games left. People said that was the biggest one was Manchester City but I disagree, the big one now is Norwich. Nothing is ours yet."

City responded impressively in the second half to draw level. David Silva scored and then forced an own goal by Glen Johnson, but their destiny is no longer in their hands.

It was to prove a costly encounter for both teams, however, with City midfielder Yaya Toure and Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge limping off, while Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson was shown a straight red card for an injury-time lunge on Samir Nasri.

britain_soccer_premier_league_lch112.jpg

Liverpool fans in the Kop end hold aloft cards to make a mosaic commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. Photo: AP

Before the match, there was an emotional tribute to the 96 fans who died at Hillsborough in 1989. “It’s always emotive, especially around this time. We live with Hillsborough every day,” said Rodgers. “The families and the victims are in our thoughts every day.

“It was an inspiration for us, rather than something that held us back. We will remember them again at the memorial service but today it was about creating a different memory and it was a wonderful three points for us.”

fbl-eng-pr-liverpool-man_city_ay4334.jpg

Fans in the Kop wave banners in memory of victims of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. Photo: AFP

Manuel Pellegrini’s City side had at least two good penalty shouts, while Liverpool’s Luis Suarez could have been sent off for diving.

“We deserved a better result. We are very unlucky,” said Pellegrini. “There was a clear penalty when Martin Skrtel had a handball but I don’t think the result today was because of the referee, who had a good game.

“If we win our two games in hand we will be a point behind Liverpool, who still have to play Chelsea. The title does not finish today.

"We are still going to fight. A lot of things will happen between now and the end of the season."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea blame draining European game for Swansea toil

LONDON Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:41pm BST

r

Swansea City's Ashley Williams is challenged by Chelsea's Oscar (R) during their English Premier League soccer match at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea, Wales, April 13, 2014. REUTERS-Rebecca Naden

(Reuters) - Chelsea struggled to break down 10-man Swansea City on Sunday because of their "physically and emotionally draining" Champions League victory over Paris St Germain in midweek, coach Steve Holland said.

Chelsea toiled to a 1-0 Premier League win against a Swansea side, who had defender Chico Flores sent off after just 16 minutes, thanks to a second-half goal from Demba Ba.

It was the second time in five days that the Senegal forward has proved decisive after his late strike against PSG put Chelsea into the Champions League semi-finals.

"We played in the Champions League in the week, and it was a physically and emotionally draining game," the assistant coach, standing in for manager Jose Mourinho, told the BBC.

"It was difficult to go again, but we stuck to it and came through," Holland added.

Sunday's victory moved Chelsea to 75 points, two behind Premier League leaders Liverpool, who they play in a potentially decisive clash on April 27, and five ahead of third-placed Manchester City, who have two games in hand.

Chelsea were lethargic for large periods in south Wales and struggled to break down a stubborn Swansea side whose task was made much more difficult when Flores was sent off after receiving two early bookings.

The London club finally made the breakthrough in the 68th minute when Ba, rewarded with a rare start after his Champions League heroics, hit a low shot that bobbled past Swansea keeper Michel Vorm.

"I've been here three times with Chelsea without winning before today," Holland said. "Swansea can frustrate you. They're good at retaining possession.

"With the game at 0-0, they've got everybody behind the ball every minute of the game. You've got four defenders, four midfielders and one attacker to get through.

"We had total control of the game, but still had to find a way through. When you do that, the spaces are there."

Captain John Terry said their patient approach after the sending-off proved crucial.

"Patience was the key today," he told Sky Sports. "We were not always patient and at our best but it was an important three points."

After Liverpool moved firmly into pole position in the title race with a 3-2 win over Manchester City earlier on Sunday, Terry chose to copy manager Mourinho by saying the pressure was on their rivals heading into the final games of the season.

"Looking at the (Liverpool) result it was probably the one we wanted even though Liverpool are flying. The pressure is still on the teams above and below us," he added.

"It will be very tough, but it's important we keep winning our games. It's out of our hands. We need City to lose or draw and we've still got to go to Anfield. It's going to be a great end to the season."

(Reporting by Tom Hayward; editing by Toby Davis)

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Brom reprimand Berahino for nitrous oxide incident

13 April 2014

439339header.jpg

West Brom have reprimanded Saido Berahino after a video emerged of the striker inhaling nitrous oxide gas.

The video was reportedly filmed after West Brom's 3-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester United on March 8.

Although not illegal, nitrous oxide, often referred to as 'laughing gas', is potentially harmful to the body due to a lack of oxygen that can occur after its use.

On Sunday, West Brom's sporting and technical director Richard Garlick condemned Berahino's actions.

"I have spoken to Saido about the incident and told him in no uncertain terms that his conduct is not befitting a West Bromwich Albion player," Garlick said in a statement released by the club.

"Saido knows he has made a mistake. He has apologised for his actions and has assured the club it will not happen again."

The England Under-21 international insisted the incident was not something he would be repeating.

"This was very poor judgement on my part and not the right example to be setting," he said.

"At the time, I wasn't fully aware of the serious health risks involved but now I know, I won't be doing it again."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini vows to continue title fight

13 April 2014

439242header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini vowed that Manchester City will continue to fight for the Premier League title after Sunday's 3-2 loss to Liverpool.

The Chilean's charges looked to be in the ascendancy after battling back from two goals down to level it up midway through the second half at Anfield.

But a poor defensive clearance from Vincent Kompany allowed Philippe Coutinho to curl home a late winner for table-toppers Liverpool, who now hold a seven-point advantage over City.

Pellegrini's men have two games in hand, however, and the City manager still believes that they can be crowned champions this season.

"Of course I said before the game that this is not the end of the Premier League," he said. "Liverpool have to play four games more, if they win 13 or 14 games in a row maybe they deserve to win the title, but we are going to continue fighting to the end.

"We play on Wednesday (against Sunderland) one of our postponed games, we can be just one point behind point behind Liverpool ... if we win those two games (in hand), and they have to play Chelsea against Liverpool."

First-half goals from Raheem Sterling and Martin Skrtel gave City a mountain to climb, but David Silva reduced the deficit in the second half before playing a hand in the leveller, his shot deflecting off Glen Johnson and Simon Mignolet on the way in.

At that stage, City looked to be heading for a crucial triumph and Pellegrini conceded that he expected them to win it from there.

"Of course (we should have won) because I think that the team played very well," he added. "Not only second half but the last 15-20 minutes of the first half we had clear chances to score. We didn't (score).

"Second half we drew (level at) 2-2 and we had other clear chances to win the game. Finally Liverpool won the game because of a mistake."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski 'not happy' with regular Arsenal substitutions

390542_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 14, 2014 8:44:00 AM

The striker has completed a full 90 minutes just twice this season and was withdrawn again on Saturday with the Gunners trailing Wigan even though young Yaya Sanogo stayed on

Lukas Podolski has admitted he is "not happy" with regularly being substituted when playing for Arsenal.

The striker has completed a full 90 minutes just twice this season and was withdrawn after 68 minutes of his side's FA Cup win over Wigan, with the Gunners trailing 1-0 at the time and youngster Yaya Sanogo staying on.

Podolski has acknowledged that competition for places is always rife at big clubs such as Arsenal, but repeatedly underlined his unhappiness with his current role at the Emirates Stadium.

When asked if his withdrawals frustrate him, Podolski told reporters: "Of course. I play and, in the last games, I always come out and of course you cannot be happy when you always go out after 60, 70 minutes.

"Of course I am not happy always to be substituted.

"It's the decision of the boss. It's not always easy when you play for a big club but of course I am not happy to always come out and watch from outside. You cannot be happy with this situation."

Podolski watched from the sidelines as Arsenal came from behind to beat Wigan on penalties and reach the FA Cup final, with attentions now focused on the fight for fourth spot with West Ham to come on Tuesday.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea optimistic of Hazard return 'sooner rather than later'

388495_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 13, 2014 11:19:00 PM

The Belgium international suffered a calf strain against PSG in the Champions League but the club are hopeful he can be back in action before the end of the season

Chelsea expect Eden Hazard to return from injury "sooner rather than later" and are optimistic he can play a part in the club's run-in.

The Belgium international was forced off in the first half of the Blues' Champions League second leg victory over PSG in midweek with a calf strain and missed Sunday's 1-0 win over Swansea.

However, speaking after the victory at the Liberty Stadium, that saw Chelsea keep pace with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League, assistant first-team coach Steve Holland was optimistic about Hazard's fitness.

"Eden Hazard should be fit sooner rather than later, we can't say for sure when, but a week's break is good for us," he told reporters.

Striker Demba Ba followed up his midweek heroics with the winning goal at the Liberty Stadium, which keeps Jose Mourinho's men just two points behind Liverpool, and Holland admitted it was a big victory for his side.

"On the back of playing a big Champions League game, this is a very good three points for us," he added.

"This is the fourth time I've been here with Chelsea and the first time we've won. Swansea are good at keeping the ball.

"Demba Ba deserved this, he is often working hard after training on different types of finishing.

"We have to win all of our games left, but we have been facing that ever since our result at Crystal Palace."

ThosayMaureenNeo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but he hasn't been playing real well lately either so cant complain. In fact the whole team hasn't been playing well.

Podolski 'not happy' with regular Arsenal substitutions

When asked if his withdrawals frustrate him, Podolski told reporters: "Of course. I play and, in the last games, I always come out and of course you cannot be happy when you always go out after 60, 70 minutes.

"Of course I am not happy always to be substituted.

"It's the decision of the boss. It's not always easy when you play for a big club but of course I am not happy to always come out and watch from outside. You cannot be happy with this situation."

Podolski watched from the sidelines as Arsenal came from behind to beat Wigan on penalties and reach the FA Cup final, with attentions now focused on the fight for fourth spot with West Ham to come on Tuesday.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger demands Gunners end on BPL high

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has challenged his side to win all of their remaining five Barclays Premier League matches to secure a top-four finish.

Wenger.jpg

Monday 14th April 2014

The Gunners will host West Ham on Tuesday night looking to move themselves back above Everton following what was a nerve-shredding semi-final encounter with Wigan at Wembley, where they were just seven minutes from what would have been a catastrophic defeat for Wenger's beleaguered squad.

Instead, the Gunners prevailed mentally in a penalty shootout that sees them make their first FA cup final since 2005.

Wenger, though, insists all thoughts of the return trip to the national stadium on May 17 must now be put aside to secure another shot at elite European football again next season.

"When you are in a semi-final and you win, it releases a little bit of pressure on the team on that front, but we want to bounce back in the Premier League," said Wenger, who has several players carrying minor fitness problems ahead of Tuesday night.

"Therefore we want to finish strong, we have a battle with Everton and of course it's now down to consistency in our final games.

"It (five victories) is the target. Do you need it? Nobody knows, but the target is of course to win every game."

Wenger added: "We just want to not imagine the consequences of not doing it, what you want is just to focus on doing it.

"That is where we have the focus, the quality of the spirit, we have the desire and we are slowly getting our players back, so the squad is not (so) depleted any more.

"I believe that they (Everton) have difficult games and we have difficult games, but we want to focus now on what we know we can do.

"We have a more complete squad and we want to win our games, no matter what Everton does. We want to finish in a strong way.

"We can finish the season well - we can finish in the top four, we can win the FA Cup - so it's down to how united we will be until the end of the season, and focused together."

Arsenal have several players in the treatment room, while England international Jack Wilshere is set to step-up his rehabilitation from a hairline foot fracture.

Wenger said: "Jack Wilshere should start to jog this week. It is all going well, but we have to monitor him now day by day.

"I think the next three weeks will be very important for him."

Asked if he remained confident Wilshere would play again this season, Wenger said: "Yes."

Striker Olivier Giroud injected some fresh life into the Arsenal attack when brought on alongside Yaya Sanogo in the second half at Wembley.

Wenger insists the France international, who saw his personal life come under scrutiny earlier this year, remains central to the side.

"He has a fantastic spirit, Olivier Giroud is a fantastic team player. He has gone through a little bit more of a difficult period, but that happens to any striker," said Wenger.

"The striker is the most demanding position, he has played many, many games - more games than any other striker in the Premier League."

Wenger accepts Arsenal will have to stop the supply line to England World Cup hopeful Andy Carroll on Tuesday.

"Once the ball is up there, you do not find many people who can compete with him and win the challenge, so what is important is that we stop the balls going to him," said Wenger.

"Of that quality, in the air, there are not many (better), I don't think so."

Wenger added: "West Ham are in a comfortable position, that means they can play without fear. So we know that in these kind of games it's very important that we have a good focus and a good tempo in our game."