• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘High-quality singlehood better than low-quality marriage’

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

‘High-quality singlehood better than low-quality marriage’: woman’s choice to stay single inspires many and renews debate on China’s marriage obsession​

• A single woman in China trends online after denouncing the country’s culture of ‘marriage as young as possible at any cost’
  • In mainland China, pressuring young people to get married, and in some cases, forcing them to, remains a dominant cultural norm

Published: 9:00am, 16 Nov, 2022

A single 36-year-old woman in China goes viral after declaring she enjoys being single and rejects ‘low-quality marriage’, renewing debate on intense pressure on young Chinese to marry. Photo: SCMP composite

A single 36-year-old woman in China goes viral after declaring she enjoys being single and rejects ‘low-quality marriage’, renewing debate on intense pressure on young Chinese to marry. Photo: SCMP composite

A single 36-year-old woman in China has trended online after declaring she enjoys being single and rejects “low-quality marriage” and restarted a discussion on cultural norms that push young Chinese men and women into marriage as soon as possible.

The unnamed woman, from Dalian in Liaoning, northeastern China, went viral after sharing her views online in a video. She said she lives alone and doesn’t want to push herself to get married just for the sake of it, Star Video reported.

The woman said that it would be hard to live a happy life if she married the wrong person just for the sake of being in a marriage. She said she’d rather live independently and happily and does not believe that “marriage is a guaranteed utopia or sanctuary”.

The woman says her attitude to marriage is: ‘Women are no longer living in the age of depending on men in marriage, so I find my way to live my life’. Photo: Baidu
The woman says her attitude to marriage is: ‘Women are no longer living in the age of depending on men in marriage, so I find my way to live my life’. Photo: Baidu

“Whether getting married or not, everyone has regrets, ” she said in the video.

She said that marriage was likely to offer a home and stability, but could come at the price of less freedom, while single people can keep their freedom without being entangled in a relationship.

“Most important of all, have fun in life,” she stressed.

The video showed off her relaxed lifestyle; wearing pyjamas around the house and cooking dishes of her choice for herself, and taking her time preparing her outfit and make-up for social outings.

“I think nowadays women are no longer living in the age of depending on men in marriage, so I find my way to live my life,” she said.

The video showcases the woman’s relaxed lifestyle as a single; wearing pyjamas around the house and cooking dishes of her choice. Photo: Baidu
The video showcases the woman’s relaxed lifestyle as a single; wearing pyjamas around the house and cooking dishes of her choice. Photo: Baidu

At the time of writing, the woman’s story had received 270,000 views

One person wrote: “I agree with her. As long as we live the way we like, it will be fine.”

Another said: “I don’t judge her choice as she is free to make her own decisions, but I support her living for herself.”

However, some thought that getting married would give her a lot more support.
In mainland China, pressuring young people to get married, and in some cases, forcing them to, remains a dominant cultural norm. Photo: Baidu
In mainland China, pressuring young people to get married, and in some cases, forcing them to, remains a dominant cultural norm. Photo: Baidu
One person said: “What will she do when she gets older? She won’t find anyone to keep her company.”

Another was more critical: “She is selfish. If many people thought like her, where would the next generations come from?”

In mainland China, pressuring young people to get married, and in some cases, forcing them to, remains a dominant cultural norm.

In an official survey released in 2016, data showed that in that year the provinces of Henan, Sichuan and Shandong were the worst offenders with the most cases in which young people were forced into marriage by their parents.

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-cu...e-womans-choice-stay-single-inspires-many-and

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why does she have to push the skin smoothing function to the max if she's comfortable in her own skin?

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singlehood is fine when you are young & healthy. You can do anything. Unfortunately, Humans do not live forever. Human cells starts to decay at birth, & when old age arrives, one will realize that there are limits to what one can do - both physically & mentally.

To be single means to be alone. It will be bad in old age. For most whom are not wealthy, there will be no one to take care of you. As you are no longer fit, there may be no job left, as advancement in tech will take over simple jobs as street cleaning or recycling. For the 1% of singles whom are rich, they can afford maids, but for all they wealth they had accumulated through hard work over the years - it will only end up paying medical fees to see another sunrise, as many parts of the Human body either had cease to function properly due to decay.

Thus, strike a BALANCE. Each Human is born with free will, to make choices & accept the consequences for one's own actions. Choose wisely...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depopulation comes in many forms. This is just one method. :cool:

Also, Tiong women are more picky since many female babies were aborted during the one child policy era, contrast this with women from Russia and Ukraine, who are the opposite. :biggrin:

5j25ru0riwmz.jpg